PDA

View Full Version : "PACKERS LOOKING FOR THREE DOWN BACK"

Bretsky
02-23-2013, 12:58 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oj6SHzDhuXA

YES, EVERYBODY KNOWS

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=StDyLTZkGo8

http://www.jsonline.com/sports/packers/packers-looking-for-a-threedown-running-back-048sp5q-192643211.html

Bretsky
02-23-2013, 01:01 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=424GvF2mKMM

Bretsky
02-23-2013, 01:19 AM
SEE ALL 78

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3GFWO_LIG0Y

Bretsky
02-23-2013, 01:38 AM
OK...this is for JH and the MB fans.......found this from High School

Uploaded on Nov 3, 2008
In 3 years Montee Ball has rushed for over 7,000 yds and still going. He has scored 90 TD's, and averages over 11yds per carry.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Tj_oQotkEGw

Bretsky
02-23-2013, 01:42 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FzWvQ9-AM0o

one last one

Bretsky
02-23-2013, 01:49 AM
HERE WAS A PREDICTION AND BREAKDOWN OF BALL BEFORE 2012 SEASON

8/16/12: In September of 2011 I wrote this: "Montee Ball could be a player who explodes across the national scene quickly in the 2011 season with John Clay no longer at Wisconsin. Ball came on like gangbusters late in the (2010) season for the Badgers with five straight 100-yard games with a total of 777 yards in those five contests. He was third on the team in rushing behind Clay and James White, but Ball led the team with 18 touchdowns. Ball has a nice blend of power and speed that will appeal to NFL coaches and scouts. He hits the hole quickly and is hard to bring down."

That turned out to be a relative understatement as Ball was a finalist for the Heisman Trophy. He ran for 1,923 yards, averaging 6.3 yards per carry, and 33 touchdowns in 2011. Ball also caught 24 passes for 306 yards and six scores. His 39 total touchdowns were one of the most prolific season totals in college football history, putting him next to Barry Sanders in the record books.

Ball runs with excellent vision, balance and pad level. He is not a burner, but he hits the hole before it closes. It wouldn't be surprising if Ball's production declines in 2012 with teams selling out to stop him. His supporting cast is greatly reduced as well. Wisconsin lost center Peter Konz, guard Kevin Zeitler, its offensive line coach, its offensive coordinator, quarterback Russell Wilson and wide receiver Nick Toon.

Now some comments.............I doubt Ball jumps into round one. I think he's there for us round two but I'm not sure of that. I don't think he's there in round 3. I've been saying he's the best RB in WI for the past two years and I think I've been right. He's a step above, IMO, what we have in the roster for the Packers. A

All along I've been saying he'd going to run about a 4.5 to 4.55 forty yard dash. For those of us who know him that is not a concern. The dude plays faster on the field, he has a nose for the end zone, and he's made a few very notable tough receptions at key points in game. I don't remember being able to say that about a Green Bay running back in quite some time. He's an ideal fit for our offense. He's blocked well, hits the hole very hard and fast (unlike Ron Dayne and John Clay),has a great attitude, is a workout warrior, and catches the ball with ease.

His RB coach, who played in the NFL, has compared him to Curtis Martin. I can't figure out who to compare him to...part of me thinks Matt Forte. Dude should be a very solid RB for a team for many years to come............hopefully Green Bay.

King Friday
02-23-2013, 10:42 AM
To me, Ball will surprise in the NFL just as Russell Wilson did. Measureables are for dopes. Football is won with heart, determination and comraderie. Ball has enough speed to be successful in the NFL. His real talent is the ability to make himself an extremely small target by knowing how to set up his blockers, having patience to let the play develop, as well as knowing when and how to juke and spin effectively. He also runs with above average power for his size. That power/agility combination is something that will make him get a lot of looks IMO. I think the Packers would consider him very strongly in the late 2nd/early 3rd round.

Compare his highlights to Alex Green's in college. It isn't even close. Green rarely changed direction, showed little ability to set up blocks effectively, and didn't show all that much as a receiver out of the backfield. Ball is twice the back that Alex Green is, perhaps in large part to his vast experience running the ball. Curtis Martin seems like a very good comparison...another guy who did not wow you with any individual traits, but was very good at all of them. Those guys are rare...and usually turn out to be successful when they get a chance on a good team in the NFL. To me, Ball would be a phenominal pick for Green Bay...great all around back used to playing in cold weather with superior ball security.

rbaloha1
02-23-2013, 10:51 AM
Comparing Green to Ball in college is impossible.

Green was running from the run and shoot with 2 NFL receivers. Defenses focused more on the receivers which allowed Green to run in parking lots. Displayed good shiftiness in the open field.

My biggest concern was running from a 2 back pro offense which imo is still a work in progress.

Ball is an I-back running from a pro offense.

smuggler
02-24-2013, 03:55 PM
And Green had lightning speed, having run a 4.17 40 in a pro-day workout.

Ball said he's been down in the 4.4s during workouts, but his official time was 4.64, Ahman's official time was considerably better.

pbmax
02-24-2013, 05:09 PM
That time, unless he shreds it in Madison, is going to help ensure he is available later in the first round, if it was ever in doubt.

Joemailman
02-24-2013, 05:12 PM
That time, unless he shreds it in Madison, is going to help ensure he is available later in the first round, if it was ever in doubt.

It was not. I think this ensures he will be available well into the 2nd round, unless, as you say, he does a lot better at his pro Day.

Patler
02-24-2013, 05:23 PM
Packers are looking for a three-down back? They had a whole roster full of them last year. Each one lasted about three downs before getting hurt or proving to be ineffective. :rs:

swede
02-24-2013, 05:58 PM
Hey-oooh!

Pugger
02-24-2013, 10:32 PM
Packers are looking for a three-down back? They had a whole roster full of them last year. Each one lasted about three downs before getting hurt or proving to be ineffective. :rs:

I'd laugh with gusto if this wasn't so close to the truth! :-(

HarveyWallbangers
02-24-2013, 11:14 PM
I haven't been a fan of Wisconsin RBs coming out (not just Buckeyes bias), but I really like Ball as a pro. 2nd round might be too high though. I'm not sure if he's a game changer, and if a RB isn't a game changer, I don't like wasting a high draft pick on him.

Iron Mike
02-25-2013, 07:07 AM
I'm still confused on whether his first name is pronounced Mont"ee" or Mont"ay."

SkinBasket
02-25-2013, 07:26 AM
Measureables are for dopes. Football is won with heart, determination and comraderie.

http://2.bp.blogspot.com/_sN24aIalH-0/S7YkRQBUEGI/AAAAAAAAAyI/cUU9AEInwpM/s1600/uncle-rico-picture.jpg

pbmax
02-25-2013, 08:41 AM
Uncle Rico!

McGinn wrote today that none of the Packer running backs drafted have been as slow as Ball was. So he's going to need to drop before the Packers would take him. Of course, given my track record with predicting NFL success out of college, I now expect him to be taken in the first round and have an All-Pro rookie year.

His bench, broad jump and vertical were all in the bottom half of RBs. All he can do, apparently, is score touchdowns.

Bob McGinn ‏@BobMcGinn
None of 4 RBs drafted by #Packers in last 6 yrs ran near as slowly as #Badgers Montee Ball did Sun at combine ...

http://www.jsonline.com/sports/packers/wisconsins-montee-ball-with-work-to-do-on-40yard-dash-hu8td2r-192928851.html

SkinBasket
02-25-2013, 08:58 AM
None of 4 RBs drafted by #Packers in last 6 yrs ran near as slowly as #Badgers Montee Ball did Sun at combine ...

And how have they worked out McGinn? Maybe it's time to re-evaluate what's important in a RB.

SkinBasket
02-25-2013, 08:59 AM
Just don't draft ball, because he's kind of crap.

rbaloha1
02-25-2013, 09:01 AM

just like you...

rbaloha1
02-25-2013, 09:02 AM
http://2.bp.blogspot.com/_sN24aIalH-0/S7YkRQBUEGI/AAAAAAAAAyI/cUU9AEInwpM/s1600/uncle-rico-picture.jpg

NICE GAY PICTURE

denverYooper
02-25-2013, 11:29 AM

Back in '82, I used to be able to throw a pigskin a quarter mile.

Patler
02-25-2013, 11:54 AM

Back in '82, I used to be able to throw a pigskin a quarter mile.

I suspect the pig was still wearing it at the time, too.

Fritz
02-25-2013, 02:41 PM

He reminds me an awful lot of a U of M running back a few years ago - Mike Hart. Big heart, hard worker, scored TD's, blah blah blah. Wasn't that big nor that fast. And predictably became a JAG in the NFL.

Monte Hall, Montee Ball. Yuck either way. Just say no. Christ, if you're going to draft a running back in the upper rounds, can't you do better than a guy who doesn't run fast and doesn't test well in anything?

Doug Flutie was a great college quarterback. So was Timmy Tebow.

Guiness
02-25-2013, 03:35 PM
He reminds me an awful lot of a U of M running back a few years ago - Mike Hart. Big heart, hard worker, scored TD's, blah blah blah. Wasn't that big nor that fast. And predictably became a JAG in the NFL.

Monte Hall, Montee Ball. Yuck either way. Just say no. Christ, if you're going to draft a running back in the upper rounds, can't you do better than a guy who doesn't run fast and doesn't test well in anything?

Doug Flutie was a great college quarterback. So was Timmy Tebow.

Why pick on Flutie??? He had a decent career, both north of the border and in the NFL! Guy's got a lifetime winning record.

I always thought he was quite capable, back to his first stint in NE. I wonder how different his career might've been if he hadn't crossed the picket line in '87?

Fritz
02-25-2013, 03:46 PM
Why pick on Flutie??? He had a decent career, both north of the border and in the NFL! Guy's got a lifetime winning record.

I always thought he was quite capable, back to his first stint in NE. I wonder how different his career might've been if he hadn't crossed the picket line in '87?

To me, Flutie was a very average NFL QB who somehow, like Tebow, got lots of press. He wasn't a bad guy or anything, but my point is that although we seem to like to root for certain guys, and are willing to throw out their physical attributes because they are "tough" or "have heart" or "have a nose for the end zone," in the NFL you better have some physical attributes too. This is the elite of the elite.

Along that vein, I wouldn't be too thrilled if they took Monte Ball, unless he's chosen a bit later in the draft. He sounds like a very good college player who will not translate well into the NFL.

Pugger
02-26-2013, 08:23 AM

Flutie was a better QB than Tebow will ever be. Flutie could actually pass the ball. Tebow looks like he's throwing the shot put. :lol:

Smeefers
02-26-2013, 09:11 AM
Flutie was a better QB than Tebow will ever be. Flutie could actually pass the ball. Tebow looks like he's throwing the shot put. :lol:

Yeah? Well, Tebow's a better shot putter than Flutie will ever be.... yeah.

Patler
02-26-2013, 09:24 AM
Flutie completed less than 55% of his passes over his NFL career, QB rating well below 80. Great competitor, but nothing more than a backup talent as an NFL QB. That said, I would have been happy with him as the backup.

rbaloha1
02-26-2013, 09:50 AM
Flutie completed less than 55% of his passes over his NFL career, QB rating well below 80. Great competitor, but nothing more than a backup talent as an NFL QB. That said, I would have been happy with him as the backup.

DF was not given adequate opportunities. Clearly performed when the starter.

DF needed a scheme and a coach like Carroll that believed in his abilities and provided the proper talent around him.

Patler
02-26-2013, 10:06 AM

DF needed a scheme and a coach like Carroll that believed in his abilities and provided the proper talent around him.

12 seasons in the nfl, 5 different teams, NE twice, 52 games started, and no one gave him adequate opportunities?

He started 10 games for Buffalo in '98 and 15 in '99. He stared all 16 for San Diego in 2001. He had more opportunities than a lot of players get.

rbaloha1
02-26-2013, 10:11 AM
12 seasons in the nfl, 5 different teams, NE twice, 52 games started, and no one gave him adequate opportunities?

He started 10 games for Buffalo in '98 and 15 in '99. He stared all 16 for San Diego in 2001. He had more opportunities than a lot of players get.

Bouncing around says a lot. Needed a franchise to believe in him completely.

Patler
02-26-2013, 10:22 AM

Bouncing around says a lot. Needed a franchise to believe in him completely.

31 of his starts came in two seasons.
In '99 he played in 15 games for Buffalo, starting all 15.
In '01 he started all 16 games for San Diego.

31 starts, 31 games played

558/999 - 6635 yards - 34 Tds - 34 INTs = 55.86 completion percentage and a QB rating of 73.45.

In '98 he had started 10 games for Buffalo, then 15/15 in '99 and 5 more in 2000. That was followed by the 16/16 in 2001 for San Diego. He had four straight seasons when two different franchises wanted to believe in him. He had his chances, just didn't do a lot with them. Journeyman-like numbers. Never quite performed up to the hype, in my opinion.

Guiness
02-26-2013, 11:57 AM

I wasn't implying he was a world beater, just that to compare him to Tebow is pretty unfair. He was an NFL QB with a couple of strikes against him (5'10" anybody???) that certainly made the most of his talents!

As far as his stints in Buffalo and SD, those were some pretty dysfunctional franchises. Yes, he started 15 games for Buffalo...went 10-5, got the team a playoff berth, the last one they've had. Wade Phillips decided he wanted a prototypical passer and inserted Rob Johnson. We all know how that turned out for the franchise. The next season he was the backup, and went 4-1 while Johnson went 4-7! What did Buffalo do? Cut Flutie...no, Buffalo did not want to believe in him.

He was SDs starter for 2001. They went 1-15 in 2000. SD went 5-11 in 2001, and beat Buffalo on the way :)

Yes, he went 15-16 in those two seasons (or 15-15? maybe there was another QB of record for a game in SD?) but he made the playoffs in one of those seasons, and was QB of an improving mess the next - SD drafted Tomlinson in 2001, then Brees in 2002.

I think he was better than an NFL backup. He could start, even if he was a guy you'd always be looking to replace. When I think 'NFL backup' I think of guys who hung around the league for a while and if they were your starters you'd be pulling your hair out to replace, like Doug Pederson or Craig Nall!

Patler
02-26-2013, 01:33 PM
I think he was better than an NFL backup. He could start, even if he was a guy you'd always be looking to replace. When I think 'NFL backup' I think of guys who hung around the league for a while and if they were your starters you'd be pulling your hair out to replace, like Doug Pederson or Craig Nall!

We are probably seeing him the same, just calling it differently.

I look at him about the same as I do Rex Grossman. Capable of some good games, but not good enough to go with as your starter for a season unless forced to. That's what I would want as a backup, not a guy like Nall. I put Pederson somewhere in between Flutie/Grossman at one end, and a guy like Nall at the other. I would be content with Flutie, Grossman or Pederson as my backup; but I wouldn't want any of them as my starter for a season. Nall I don't want at all.

Pugger
02-27-2013, 09:19 AM
I was comparing DF to Tebow. Flutie had his moments in the NFL but had a wonderful career in the CFL.

woodbuck27
02-27-2013, 11:28 AM
To me, Flutie was a very average NFL QB who somehow, like Tebow, got lots of press. He wasn't a bad guy or anything, but my point is that although we seem to like to root for certain guys, and are willing to throw out their physical attributes because they are "tough" or "have heart" or "have a nose for the end zone," in the NFL you better have some physical attributes too. This is the elite of the elite.

Along that vein, I wouldn't be too thrilled if they took Monte Ball, unless he's chosen a bit later in the draft. He sounds like a very good college player who will not translate well into the NFL.

Doug Flutie was an exceptional athlete and it's hardly fair to use his name and Tebow's in the same sentence or in any comparison.

What would Doug Flutie have been in the NFL if he was taller? I believe he would have been a steller QB.

Guiness
02-27-2013, 11:34 AM
We are probably seeing him the same, just calling it differently.

I look at him about the same as I do Rex Grossman. Capable of some good games, but not good enough to go with as your starter for a season unless forced to. That's what I would want as a backup, not a guy like Nall. I put Pederson somewhere in between Flutie/Grossman at one end, and a guy like Nall at the other. I would be content with Flutie, Grossman or Pederson as my backup; but I wouldn't want any of them as my starter for a season. Nall I don't want at all.

I'd place him above Grossman - even if it's because he didn't have a 10 cent brain that lost you games the way Grossman did (does?)

It's hard to tell how he would've done if an NFL team had committed to him, even when he came back from the NFL. He had some good years in him, but I think the personnel guys could just not get over his stature. 5'10" puts you way past the 99th percentile, on the wrong end of the scale when it comes to NFL QBs!
He did well in Buffalo when he stared 15 games, it was their idiocy to go with Johnson for the playoffs after one start. There was some local coverage around here quoting unnamed team sources saying the team didn't trust him, he couldn't see over the linemen and Johnson threw a better ball. They were obviously looking for any excuse to get rid of the midget pivot. When he came back the next year, played well again and Johnson couldn't stay healthy (or win games!) they couldn't admit their mistake and got rid of him to the worst team in the league to avoid looking any worse!

He played ok in SD, but the Chargers were a couple years from being any good, and he was getting pretty old.

What's Flutie doing now? I can tell you're wondering. Well, he's doing a reality TV show, "The Next Knuckler" ;-) Check out the trailer
http://www.cbssports.com/mlb/blog/eye-on-baseball/21696711/video-clip-from-premiere-episode-of-the-next-knuckler
I don't know how that's going to work. Reality shows thrive on conflict, but I think these guys are going to spend their time laughing at the silly course their balls take!

Patler
02-27-2013, 11:54 AM
I think it was more than just issues with his height. He struggled to complete 55% of his passes and threw as many interceptions as TDs, whether he played a lot or a little. That simply wasn't good enough, even when he played.

I will agree though, a better head than Grossman.

I do think he was an ideal guy to have behind a great QB; however.

Smeefers
02-27-2013, 12:08 PM
Okay, wait, I'm a bit confused. Are we trying to decide who would be a better running back between Montee Ball, Doug Flutie or Tim Tebow?

woodbuck27
02-27-2013, 12:11 PM
Okay, wait, I'm a bit confused. Are we trying to decide who would be a better running back between Montee Ball, Doug Flutie or Tim Tebow?

:grin:

woodbuck27
02-27-2013, 12:18 PM
http://fansided.com/2013/02/26/nfl-draft-2013-no-team-has-first-round-grade-on-running-back/

NFL Draft 2013: No Team Has First-Round Grade on Running Back

Feb 26th, 2013 at 9:17 pm by Josh Sanchez - NFL Draft

Teamcheez1
02-27-2013, 12:40 PM
http://fansided.com/2013/02/26/nfl-draft-2013-no-team-has-first-round-grade-on-running-back/

NFL Draft 2013: No Team Has First-Round Grade on Running Back

Feb 26th, 2013 at 9:17 pm by Josh Sanchez - NFL Draft

In today's NFL, you don't draft a running back in the 1st round unless they are lights out. Potential isn't good enough to waste a pick in a passing league.

woodbuck27
02-27-2013, 12:46 PM
What is your gut instinct on this RB....Montee Ball?

If he was available for our second round pick would you want him?

http://www.kffl.com/a.php/133027/nfl-draft/2013-NFL-Draft-Scouting-Report--Montee-Ball--RB--Wisconsin

2013 NFL Draft Scouting Report: Montee Ball, RB, Wisconsin

by Cory J. Bonini on February 26, 2013 @ 15:50:25 PDT

Weaknesses

•Tremendous workload at Wisconsin - 983 offensive touches in four years (366 in 2012)

•Benefitted in 2011 from one of the best offensive lines in recent NCAA memory in a run-first system

•Lacks a second gear - 4.66 seconds in the 40-yard dash - and an initial burst

and it gets worse:

•Durability concerns - multiple concussions and a lot of wear on his tires

•Been involved in off-the-field incidents but was cleared of any wrongdoing - enough of a red flag to warrant a mention

•Limited to no upside

woodbuck27
02-27-2013, 12:48 PM
In today's NFL, you don't draft a running back in the 1st round unless they are lights out. Potential isn't good enough to waste a pick in a passing league.

I'll give you one name:

Alfred Morris and when was he drafted?

woodbuck27
02-27-2013, 01:03 PM
http://bleacherreport.com/articles/1540682-2013-nfl-draft-what-separates-gio-bernard-from-other-top-running-backs

2013 NFL Draft: What Separates Gio Bernard from Other Top Running Backs?

" Green Bay, Denver and/or Atlanta could consider a running back at the end of Round 1, but perhaps a more likely scenario would be one of these teams taking Bernard in the second round. The Detroit Lions, Cincinnati Bengals and New York Jets could also consider Bernard early in Round 2.

Currently, Eddie Lacy is the odds-on favorite to be the first running back off the board in April. But for most of last offseason, Doug Martin was considered to be a second-round prospect, before the Tampa Bay Buccaneers traded back into the first round to draft him with the No. 31 overall pick.

Before he works out at the combine tomorrow, Bernard's stock sits firmly in the second round, but don't be surprised if a team takes a chance on him with their first-round pick. A couple years down the road, a lot of NFL teams will be kicking themselves for passing on Gio Bernard."

swede
02-27-2013, 02:59 PM
What is your gut instinct on this RB....Montee Ball?

If he was available for our second round pick would you want him?

http://www.kffl.com/a.php/133027/nfl-draft/2013-NFL-Draft-Scouting-Report--Montee-Ball--RB--Wisconsin

2013 NFL Draft Scouting Report: Montee Ball, RB, Wisconsin

by Cory J. Bonini on February 26, 2013 @ 15:50:25 PDT

Weaknesses

•Tremendous workload at Wisconsin - 983 offensive touches in four years (366 in 2012)

•Benefitted in 2011 from one of the best offensive lines in recent NCAA memory in a run-first system

•Lacks a second gear - 4.66 seconds in the 40-yard dash - and an initial burst

and it gets worse:

•Durability concerns - multiple concussions and a lot of wear on his tires

•Been involved in off-the-field incidents but was cleared of any wrongdoing - enough of a red flag to warrant a mention

•Limited to no upside

I think this is an inverse of the Ron Dayne situation. All the scouts want to look smart because, to this point, Wisconsin running backs tend to badly underperform expectations. This time they will be wrong again.

Monteen Ball has a great second gear, but no third gear.

Character concerns are bullspit.

A team like the Giants would do work with the kid.

Joemailman
02-27-2013, 03:15 PM
The Packers don't need a back who is a threat to take it to the house on any play. The Packers need a back who can get 3-10 yards consistently enough that opponents can't play 2 deep safeties on every play. I think Ball can do that. The huge number of touches he had last year doesn't concern me because he won't be asked to do that with the Packers.

Teamcheez1
02-27-2013, 03:21 PM
I'll give you one name:

Alfred Morris and when was he drafted?

Morris was drafted in the 6th round. My point was I wouldn't take a chance on potential in the 1st round, not 2-7. As long as we have Rodgers, we are a passing team first.

woodbuck27
02-28-2013, 12:08 AM
Morris was drafted in the 6th round. My point was I wouldn't take a chance on potential in the 1st round, not 2-7. As long as we have Rodgers, we are a passing team first.

I agree with you 'of course'. I would be shocked if TT went RB with #26. That simply won't happen.

wist43
02-28-2013, 01:21 AM

Morris was drafted in the 14th round by me - in two FF league drafts... only regret is that I didn't draft him in my other 2 leagues.

I agree with your point about the offense - we're a passing team first, second, and third down. 4th and inches?? we're still a passing a team. It's how we're built.

Sitton is our best OL, but there's a severe drop off after him. I have hope for Bulaga - but after those 2 guys, there simply isn't much talent or production. I have no hope for Sherrod; EDS and Newhouse both need to be replaced; Lang needs to be pushed and challenged.

Part of the problem is - the players the Packers have on their OL, are the types of players they value. Better movement skills, more finesse - no road graders in that bunch. The Packers do not have a power, run it down your throat option available to them, and they never will. TT and MM will continue to bring in finesse offensive linemen.

For the running game to work, it has to work as a function of the passing game. Where the wheels have started coming off however, is against tough, physical defenses that can simply dominate the LOS with their base personnel, and sit back in coverage. The only counter MM has is to shorten up the passing game, but tough defenses still don't need to commit a S to that.

I'd prefer the Packers not use an early pick on a RB. We desperately need help in our front seven and on our offensive line, and the Packers simply don't value the RB position enough to justify an early pick.

Bretsky
03-06-2013, 11:35 PM
http://www.jsonline.com/sports/badgers/uws-montee-ball-has-better-showing-at-pro-day-lb92aoa-195785241.html

Nice Writeup on the Ball of all trades

Bretsky
03-06-2013, 11:36 PM
The Packers don't need a back who is a threat to take it to the house on any play. The Packers need a back who can get 3-10 yards consistently enough that opponents can't play 2 deep safeties on every play. I think Ball can do that. The huge number of touches he had last year doesn't concern me because he won't be asked to do that with the Packers.

DITTTTTTTTTTTTTTO

Bretsky
03-06-2013, 11:41 PM
TIDBITS
Thompson said that the Packers don't put too much stock in the 40-yard dash ....Ball's film is the most important thing.
"We don't get too caught up about the time, but we like the competitiveness and that showed today," Thompson said.

the fact Thompson was there with pro personnel director Eliot Wolf may indicate some interest in Ball. Thompson spent a minute or two speaking with the Badgers back during a break in the testing. The scouts put Ball through the same pass-catching workout he conducted at the combine and many of the throws were purposely bad to see how he would handle them

Bretsky
03-06-2013, 11:42 PM
Intesting to note rather than testing Balls abilty to catch the ball......which many of us know is a given.............they purposely wanted to see how well he would handle bad throws

swede
03-07-2013, 11:50 AM
Intesting to note rather than testing Balls abilty to catch the ball......which many of us know is a given.............they purposely wanted to see how well he would handle bad throws

So Graham Harrell went along?

sharpe1027
03-07-2013, 12:16 PM
the fact Thompson was there with pro personnel director Eliot Wolf may indicate some interest in Ball.

Haha. It "may," but when is the last time TT showed special interest in any of his early round picks before they were drafted? They do not seem to tip their hand on guys they really like.

Pugger
03-07-2013, 06:05 PM

I don't know if Ball can do that but you are right, we need a back who can get those yards so teams get out of the 2 deep safeties thing.

Pugger
03-07-2013, 06:11 PM
Morris was drafted in the 14th round by me - in two FF league drafts... only regret is that I didn't draft him in my other 2 leagues.

I agree with your point about the offense - we're a passing team first, second, and third down. 4th and inches?? we're still a passing a team. It's how we're built.

Sitton is our best OL, but there's a severe drop off after him. I have hope for Bulaga - but after those 2 guys, there simply isn't much talent or production. I have no hope for Sherrod; EDS and Newhouse both need to be replaced; Lang needs to be pushed and challenged.

Part of the problem is - the players the Packers have on their OL, are the types of players they value. Better movement skills, more finesse - no road graders in that bunch. The Packers do not have a power, run it down your throat option available to them, and they never will. TT and MM will continue to bring in finesse offensive linemen.

For the running game to work, it has to work as a function of the passing game. Where the wheels have started coming off however, is against tough, physical defenses that can simply dominate the LOS with their base personnel, and sit back in coverage. The only counter MM has is to shorten up the passing game, but tough defenses still don't need to commit a S to that.

I'd prefer the Packers not use an early pick on a RB. We desperately need help in our front seven and on our offensive line, and the Packers simply don't value the RB position enough to justify an early pick.

Why, because he broke his leg? I remember another O lineman we drafted back in the early 90s who had a similar injury. It took Mike Flanagan over 2 years but he came back and played well for us. I wouldn't be too hasty to write off Sherrod just yet.

Pugger
03-07-2013, 06:12 PM
So Graham Harrell went along?

:lol:

RashanGary
03-07-2013, 08:50 PM
Steven Jackson said he wants to play for a contender, location isn't important, but he wants a team that has a strong fanbase, a fan base that loves football.

Cut Finley, Sign Jackson. Done deal :) :)

RashanGary
03-07-2013, 08:54 PM
Seriously, I'm no GM, but I think it's pretty safe to say if Steven Jackson wants to come here and won't need to get paid above and beyond just to move to GB, he's a no brainer for our offense.

Runs with vision, great in zone runs, catches the ball, blocks. . . . My god, he's the perfect fit to get us over the hump. What's better, Finley who can threaten the middle or Jackson who is guaranteed to threaten the middle of the defense.

Smeefers
03-08-2013, 04:24 PM
Seriously, I'm no GM, but I think it's pretty safe to say if Steven Jackson wants to come here and won't need to get paid above and beyond just to move to GB, he's a no brainer for our offense.

Runs with vision, great in zone runs, catches the ball, blocks. . . . My god, he's the perfect fit to get us over the hump. What's better, Finley who can threaten the middle or Jackson who is guaranteed to threaten the middle of the defense.

Yeah. One of the best, if not the best RB on the free agent market would be perfect for our team. Especially if he doesn't want any money. :smile:

Pugger
03-09-2013, 05:56 PM
That's the rub. We don't know what kind of money it will take to sign him. I suspect he'll end up in Atlanta.

denverYooper
03-09-2013, 08:15 PM
That's the rub. We don't know what kind of money it will take to sign him. I suspect he'll end up in Atlanta.

Whether it is nobler in the mind to suffer the slings and arrows of outrageous fortune
or to write posts about it on Packerrats.

woodbuck27
03-09-2013, 08:35 PM

Your idea is close to perfect 'for the now' if you love Zach Ertz - TE Stanford as a first round pick;realizing that Tyler Eifert - TE ND is rocketing up draft boards. TT would have to offer Stephen Jackson $5-6 million$ for say 3 years but between FA and this draft he's option a) 'for now'.

Option b) Eddie Lacy (youth and strength) and you ride with ** Jermichael Finley. I believe there's something new out there, or a rumour, that ** he might listen to a reduced contract.

We still have major needs ie at safety, DL, OL, LB and WR.

Back to the Stephen Jackson option:

We have to hope we see an improvement in the teams overall health and a solution for our OL but at least with Stephen Jackson our OL would have another focus and Stephen Jackson can be relied upon to catch the ball.

GO PACK GO !

woodbuck27
03-10-2013, 12:08 PM
Your idea is close to perfect 'for the now' if you love Zach Ertz - TE Stanford as a first round pick;realizing that Tyler Eifert - TE ND is rocketing up draft boards. TT would have to offer Stephen Jackson $5-6 million$ for say 3 years but between FA and this draft he's option a) 'for now'.

Option b) Eddie Lacy (youth and strength) and you ride with ** Jermichael Finley. I believe there's something new out there, or a rumour, that ** he might listen to a reduced contract.

We still have major needs ie at safety, DL, OL, LB and WR.

Back to the Stephen Jackson option:

We have to hope we see an improvement in the teams overall health and a solution for our OL but at least with Stephen Jackson our OL would have another focus and Stephen Jackson can be relied upon to catch the ball.

GO PACK GO !

I won't dream or get my hopes high on Stephen Jackson as our NO. 1 RB. I feel he'll get decent offers in Atlanta or Pittsburg with Denver, New York (GIANTS) and New England other possible landing spots. Maybe he'll accept less money and the RAMS terms and remain in St. Louis.

As an exercise:

If you looked at the prospect of using Jermichael Finley CAP space to use to bring him to us or in another sense like 'a trade'. Would you make that trade? Jermichael Finley for Stephen Jackson. Is that an exciting prospect... say for about $6 Million$ per season for two seasons?

A solid RB that is reliable and in excellent health inspite of his mileage. A RB that can receive the ball as well. A new focus of challenge for our OL.

PACKERS !

woodbuck27
03-10-2013, 01:14 PM

It seems more real today that 'in fact' Tony Gonzalez will return to the Falcons for one more season with certain stipulations based on remuneration and limited off season activities.

A team source ... “If we offer him the money, he’ll most likely be back for one more. He’ll most likely be looking to miss training camp, though.”

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2013/03/10/tony-gonzalez-likely-to-return-for-more-money-less-offseason-work/

That being the case, takes pressure off the TE position in Atlanta and places more focus on the RB position; the reality that the Atlanta Falcons is Stephen Jackson's new destination.

woodbuck27
03-12-2013, 12:12 PM
It seems more real today that 'in fact' Tony Gonzalez will return to the Falcons for one more season with certain stipulations based on remuneration and limited off season activities.

A team source ... “If we offer him the money, he’ll most likely be back for one more. He’ll most likely be looking to miss training camp, though.”

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2013/03/10/tony-gonzalez-likely-to-return-for-more-money-less-offseason-work/

That being the case, takes pressure off the TE position in Atlanta and places more focus on the RB position; the reality that the Atlanta Falcons is Stephen Jackson's new destination.

Gonzalez tells Falcons he’s returning.

Posted by Mike Florio on March 12, 2013, 12:51 PM EDT

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2013/03/12/gonzalez-tells-falcons-hes-returning/

“After discussing it with my family and really, truly struggling with this decision, I informed the Falcons that I would like to return for one more shot,” Gonzalez told Glazer. “Considering how this season ended, I wanted to give it another run with Matt [Ryan], Smitty [head coach Mike Smith] and the guys we have in there. It was the first time I had won a playoff game and hopefully coming back once more we can take it one step further.” Tony Gonzalez

Comment woodbuck27:

With that concern at the TE position out of the way the Falcons can now focus attention on their RB position; very possibly getting Stephen Jackson to their fair city.

There's a big part of me that has always hoped that one day Stephen Jackson would be in the Packers backfield. I believe he would be a valuable addition and add a special component to the Packer offense.

pbmax
03-12-2013, 12:17 PM
Woody, I realize the threads all wander off course from time to time, but if you are going to aggregate the aggregate sites here, it would be kind of you to stick to a specific plan or rationale. At least it would be for me.

There is a thread or two about all free agents and one about speculation about free agents. I think Gonzalez returning belongs in there (or its own thread), not in the "Packers Need a Three Down Back" thread.

We appreciate your hard work, but its tough to keep up with cross posted (or twice posted) stuff. When folks visit to find something specific, the volume can make it hard to locate.

EDITED FOR SPECIFICITY: As was made clear last time, many posters enjoy coming here to find out all the latest FA news and your posts were quite valuable to them. I think it will be easier to keep up on it all if those posts followed a similar train of thought in thread placement.

Thanks again.

woodbuck27
03-12-2013, 12:59 PM
Woody, I realize the threads all wander off course from time to time, but if you are going to aggregate the aggregate sites here, it would be kind of you to stick to a specific plan or rationale. At least it would be for me.

There is a thread or two about all free agents and one about speculation about free agents. I think Gonzalez returning belongs in there (or its own thread), not in the "Packers Need a Three Down Back" thread.

We appreciate your hard work, but its tough to keep up with cross posted (or twice posted) stuff. When folks visit to find something specific, the volume can make it hard to locate.

EDITED FOR SPECIFICITY: As was made clear last time, many posters enjoy coming here to find out all the latest FA news and your posts were quite valuable to them. I think it will be easier to keep up on it all if those posts followed a similar train of thought in thread placement.

Thanks again.

I'll explain why I located this information on Tony Gonzalez's decision not to retire in this thread. I hope this will then make better sense to you.

a) I do not consider the latest on Tony Gonzalez as a rumor but rather a conclusion. Thus it didn't go into the ... pre-free agency rumors? Speculation-Explanation thread.

b) I placed that report here in terms of how his decision may impact our teams future in terms of the RB position. If I did so in error my penchant for analysis is my noose.

What I've been looking at is the possibility that Stephen Jackson may consider the Packers and the Falcons among other legitimate contenders for his new contract. It's been strongly rumored that Atlanta will go after him. It seems to me that's all the more likely, now that Tony Gonzalez is reportedly returning to the Falcons for another season. With that position concern out of the way. The Atlanta Falcons can focus on their needs at RB. Pay what's necessary to get Stephen Jackson and remove that option from the Packers.

In terms of reporting FA moves.

You need not be concerned about my efforts to do so. Specifically, trying to keep the forum up to date as I attempted to last year. I received over the top too much flack for my attempts to ensure that the membership was informed. Given the burden of trying to do a good job in terms of the time it takes. Weighed against all I learn and my position to offer my time. It simply isn't worth the pain pbmax.

It isn't worth the flack that you or Mad or other leaders on this forum will have to endure.

Sadly, there are members here that will ensure their input for 'a thankless job'. At the same time I certainly appreciate those members that see and acknowledge a decent effort.

pbmax
03-12-2013, 01:53 PM
What I've been looking at is the possibility that Stephen Jackson may consider the Packers and the Falcons among other legitimate contenders for his new contract. It's been strongly rumored that Atlanta will go after him. It seems to me that's all the more likely, now that Tony Gonzalez is reportedly returning to the Falcons for another season. With that position concern out of the way. The Atlanta Falcons can focus on their needs at RB. Pay what's necessary to get Stephen Jackson and remove that option from the Packers....

In terms of reporting FA moves.

You need not be concerned about my efforts to do so. Specifically, trying to keep the forum up to date as I attempted to last year. I received over the top too much flack for my attempts to ensure that the membership was informed. Given the burden of trying to do a good job in terms of the time it takes. Weighed against all I learn and my position to offer my time. It simply isn't worth the pain pbmax...

Woody, actually, the last time we went through this, I was one of those asking you for less. I read those other sites, so seeing all the data here again, to me, is redundant. But what was clear after everyone began to register their thoughts, is that many appreciated the info being here. So I would not be worried about posting it. Or at least, you won't hear complaints from me.

However, what was clear is that cross or double posting can lead to some frustration. If you can avoid that, I think all will be fine.

woodbuck27
03-12-2013, 03:11 PM
Woody, actually, the last time we went through this, I was one of those asking you for less. I read those other sites, so seeing all the data here again, to me, is redundant. But what was clear after everyone began to register their thoughts, is that many appreciated the info being here. So I would not be worried about posting it. Or at least, you won't hear complaints from me.

However, what was clear is that cross or double posting can lead to some frustration. If you can avoid that, I think all will be fine.

Last season we were watching alot during the FA period. Sometimes and I agree cross referencing (dbl posting between threads) became an issue. We had some high profile FA watch's going on ie Peyton Manning (and that thread) and the destination of one of our own, Matt Flynn (and that thread) etc.

I over commited myself. I paid the price of trying to be consistent. :lol:

I want to make all happy. I'm not here to piss anyone off.

pbmax:

I'll start an 'Official Free Agency Thread' that we all can do our best to keep updated and try to keep everyone as happy as possible.

woodbuck27
03-22-2013, 01:58 PM
http://www.packers.com/news-and-events/article-1/Prospect-primer-RB-Montee-Ball-Wisconsin/8f6bf51d-14eb-4d6c-ad1d-78c046355f31

Prospect primer: RB Montee Ball, Wisconsin

Posted 2 hours ago

woodbuck27
03-27-2013, 06:10 PM
Hey B. check out this latest mock from NFL.com's Senior Analyst Gil Brandt

Published: March 27, 2013 at 12:28 p.m.

http://www.nfl.com/draft/2013/mock-drafts/gil-brandt/170652

Bretsky
03-27-2013, 08:31 PM
I would be happy Woody............however............I'm sticking to my logic

Bretsky likes Monte Ball
So TT will not draft him

swede
03-28-2013, 10:04 AM
I think Ted might take Monte Ball with our 2nd pick. But he won't last until our 2nd pick. And no way he goes in the first round.

woodbuck27
03-28-2013, 12:13 PM
I would be happy Woody............however............I'm sticking to my logic

Bretsky likes Monte Ball
So TT will not draft him

http://fansided.com/2013/03/22/nfl-draft-2013-mike-mayock-releases-latest-positional-rankings/

Fr. Mike Mayock`s Positional Ranking

Running Back

1. Eddie Lacy, Alabama

2. Montee Ball, Wisconsin

3. Andre Ellington, Clemson

4. Giovani Bernard, North Carolina

5. Marcus Lattimore, South Carolina

DRAFTSCOUT.COM`s RB Ranking:

Montee Ball ranked 6th and projected to go 3rd round.

http://www.nfldraftscout.com/ratings/probe.php?genpos=RB&draftyear=2013&sortorder=tsxpos&order=ASC

NFL.COM`s Draft Tracker. 2013 Draft Prospect (RB) Grades:

http://www.nfl.com/draft/2013/tracker#dt-tabs:dt-by-position/dt-by-name-input:c/dt-by-grade-input:1/dt-by-position-input:rb/dt-as-input:Jones

GO PACKERS !

Fritz
03-28-2013, 12:14 PM
It'd be great if Ted called up the appropriate GM, said "Let's make a deal," and then chose Monte Ball.

Bretsky
03-28-2013, 06:36 PM
sounds like Ahmad Bradshaw may head to the black and gold.....that'd be a nice fit along with GB

I'd be game Fritz.......but I'd shit in my pants if TT did that

Fritz
03-29-2013, 06:38 AM
That's right...Ted doesn't pick Wisconsin players. I wonder what's up with that?

woodbuck27
03-30-2013, 08:25 PM
If the Green Bay Packers draft a running back, they have to look at this guy

Mar 29th, 2013 at 12:01 am

by Raymond Rivard ... 2013 NFL Draft

http://lombardiave.com/2013/03/29/if-the-green-bay-packers-draft-a-running-back-they-have-to-look-at-this-guy/

Comment woodbuck27:

Does anyone else like this fella?

Check this out:

http://www.nfldraftscout.com/ratings/dsprofile.php?pyid=89542&draftyear=2013&genpos=RB

Rated #20 out of 188 RB's. Projected Rd. 7-FA.

Yet .... measureables that are excellent. He's fricken' fast and strong. Good height and weight. He looks good on video. ????

What's missing from this picture?

He'd be as a Packer... Knile 'the Knife' Davis or maybe Knile 'the Bull' Davis.

GO PACKERS !

woodbuck27
03-31-2013, 06:35 AM
If the Green Bay Packers draft a running back, they have to look at this guy

Mar 29th, 2013 at 12:01 am

by Raymond Rivard ... 2013 NFL Draft

http://lombardiave.com/2013/03/29/if-the-green-bay-packers-draft-a-running-back-they-have-to-look-at-this-guy/

Comment woodbuck27:

Does anyone else like this fella?

Check this out:

http://www.nfldraftscout.com/ratings/dsprofile.php?pyid=89542&draftyear=2013&genpos=RB

Rated #20 out of 188 RB's. Projected Rd. 7-FA.

Yet .... measureables that are excellent. He's fricken' fast and strong. Good height and weight. He looks good on video. ??

What's missing from this picture?

He'd be as a Packer... Knile 'the Knife' Davis or maybe Knile 'the Bull' Davis.

GO PACKERS !

OK I just awoke this morning and was thinking about this guy and re-checked:

These word:

Coming off multiple injuries ...struck me. More on that (maybe later).

Please read paging down to the bottom of this LINK Re: Knile Davis and his injury history :

We're looking at RB Miguel Maysonet out of Stoney Brook as a fan favourite in another thread. Interesting enough Miguel Maysonet is the #19 ranked RB by NFLDRAFTSCOUT.COM.

Knile 'the Knife' Davis is ranked #20.

Concentrating on Miguel Maysonet:

This RB has quick feet and moves fast laterally. He's a solid athlete and former lacrosse player in high school. Miguel has quick feet, elusive with jumping skills. He has good hands catching and holding onto the ball; the ability to get his team out of 'deep shit' field positions. He loves to engage or run into the pile alot. He shows strength for a shorter RB, fighting for every foot. He's really quick moving straight ahead with daylight before him. If he finds an opening he's gone. Back to his strength and looking at him in video. He disappears in a pile and instead of getting swolled moves forward with such quickness. Will he be able to meet the challenge and strengths of the NFL? He's projected as a 7 Rd. pick. We've seen first round picks of late give that consideration next to zero as a return.

If Ted Thompson decides to pick this young man what will he get?

5'-9" and 209 lbs of Miguel 'Le petit taureau' Maysonet. A seemingly intelligent young man who loves to play football.

GO PACK GO !

woodbuck27
04-01-2013, 07:26 PM
Ted Thompson has to ensure better protection for Aaron Rodgers. The proof of that is his 51 SACKs last season. There are question marks on our OL. Yet Ted Thompson can protect Aaron Rodgers with a solid RB that can block. I'm working on my seven round draft right now and it's not easy. We have need all over.

Priority needs in order on offense:

1. OL - Tackle and Center. Does this certain need take priority over a skilled offensive weapon?

2. RB - After a surprize from DuJuan Harris what's there? Really?

3. WR - With all the $dough$ that 'the Big Three' will be awarded. Without a leap in the salary CAP. How can we expect to keep both James Jones and Jordy Nelson? I've a concern over Jordy Nelson and that hamstring of his as well. The loss of Greg Jennings and DD may not concern the most of you; but they're loss's and certainly significant in terms of WR depth and guideance/leadership.

4. TE - Someone needs to step up this season. We need a TE that can block and put points up on the board. Ted Thompson needs to bring in UFA'a. Maybe 'magically' JerMichael Finley will put it together by talking more to James Jones (about talking to himself) and Aaron Rodgers. Frankly he's not worth his feed.

Defense:

After a huge leap in improvement to what 11th in the NFL from the pits in 2011. We are aware of certain need in terms of:

1. DL support help for an aging Ryan Pickett and BJ Raji. Find a big strong DT >> NT that can fit well in our 3-4 scheme; allow us to get a look at BJ Raji playing more DE. That move may make his value more evident and him happier. That has to be figured out this season as he'll be eligible for FA next.

2. Safety A strong athletic safety that owns the middle. M.D. Jennings and Jerron McMillian need one-two more seasons to realistically develop.

3. ILB with real athleticism.

4.CB You cannot have enough.

So back to the top and OL or RB?

I say it's obvious and RB. Ted Thompson would be wise to get us a great RB to help protect Aaron Rodgers. Take some pressure off our passing game and make us a double threat on offense. I see options at this position and this draft. You can spend 10's of hours simply studying those options and the RB position.

Some posters here love RB Montee Ball. Looking at his achievements and video of him, what's to dislike? He's not going to last to the 2nd Rd. pick #55. Read below and you'll see that Ted Thompson has been in direct contact with him at his Pro Day that went better that his Combine in terms of results.

If Ted Thompson did pick Montee Ball at #26 would you hate it?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Montee_Ball

Please check out this LINK:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7jiBNpAjpNI

Read the Draft Scout ... Montee Ball News - 03/07/13 at the bottom of this LINK:

http://www.nfldraftscout.com/ratings/dsprofile.php?pyid=89482&draftyear=2013&genpos=RB

Bretsky? Anyone? As options...

What do you think of Le'Veon Bell:

http://www.nfldraftscout.com/ratings/dsprofile.php?pyid=105251&draftyear=2013&genpos=RB

and Zac Stacy:

http://www.nfldraftscout.com/ratings/dsprofile.php?pyid=90027&draftyear=2013&genpos=RB

GO PACK GO!

Carolina_Packer
04-01-2013, 09:44 PM
If Brandon Jackson was considered a 2nd rounder (pick 63) back in 2007, wouldn't Packer nation be willing to take someone like Ball at the same slot? Thing is, I don't know what kind of back TT is looking for, if any.

Fritz
04-02-2013, 05:22 AM
"OK I just awoke this morning and was thinking about this guy..."

Woody, is your wife aware of this?

woodbuck27
04-02-2013, 07:01 AM
"OK I just awoke this morning and was thinking about this guy..."

Woody, is your wife aware of this?

Your observant Fritz. All this time I thought that 'only' this person knew my inner secrets.

http://t0.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcTomBOOMZZCESnJNX2giAEvY2hFbX3Hd tTqeMXmA7rEtmqRopnARw

Now there .... I've done it again. Please ... don't think Kama Sutra.

Smeefers
04-02-2013, 07:34 AM
I wouldn't mind waiting till the second round to take lattimore. The kid has top 10 talent, but a nasty injury streak. I heard someone say that whoever takes him is either going to look like a genius or a moron depending on how he heals out.

3irty1
04-02-2013, 08:04 AM

Honestly I think the Packers need both. A running back that is a threat to break a long run changes defensive line priorities and can make their presence felt with 15-20 carries per game which I think is petty ideal. I don't know that any running back in existence is threatening enough to a defense to devote secondary personnel to run support against Aaron Rodgers and these receivers.

I do agree though that at the Packers at the very least need a running back capable of moving the chains against a favorable front because they'll see plenty of them.

woodbuck27
04-02-2013, 08:22 AM
I wouldn't mind waiting till the second round to take lattimore. The kid has top 10 talent, but a nasty injury streak. I heard someone say that whoever takes him is either going to look like a genius or a moron depending on how he heals out.

Mike Mayock has him at the bottom of an elite group of top RB's in this draft:

Running Backs

1. Eddie Lacy, Alabama

This is in the minds of analysts the only legitimate first round prospect at RB.

Eddie Lacy is a versatile, pro-ready back with both power and elusiveness. He'll be a very productive 'star' in the right system. Look at the video on him and compare that to the others. What do you see?

There's, 'according to analysts', a bit of a drop off after him; more legitimate second and third round picks.

After Eddie Lacy your looking at the remainder of the RB's for depth? Maybe not so much as concerns the RB position with the Green bay Packers?

Before you consider the question of depth at RB on our team. You have to seriously consider the reliability of the RB's we already have. I don't see much. I like DuJuan Harris as a situational change of pace RB. Before you look at depth you need something. That puts some of the prospects after Eddie Lacy in play.

2. Montee Ball, Wisconsin

Montee Ball looks awesome on video. He was extremely productive in the Big Ten. I can't see why he shouldn't be great in the NFL with the right team. It seems to me that he likes work. Is there room for his potential star status in Green Bay? The most impertinent question. Can he help give the Green Bay Packers a legitimate running game; help make our offense into a true 'West Coast' offense again.

3. Andre Ellington, Clemson

4. Giovani Bernard, North Carolina

A.Ellington and G.Bernard should be productive in NFL offenses, but analysts believe that neither projects as a 3-down back.

5. Marcus Lattimore, South Carolina ... Injury ... Serious Injury?

How maybe, to look at this prospect:

Marcus Lattimore was maybe a top-ten pick as a freshman and sophomore before a 2011 left ACL tear robbed him of his explosiveness. Lattimore suffered another devastating knee injury late last October. He tore his right ACL, LCL, and PCL. He dislocated his kneecap. He's working very hard to recover from this really nasty injury. The media and scouts saw the results of his hard work recently and his progress was applauded.

The simple question you might ask. Will he ever be the same? Where do you invest a draft pick in him? Not everyone is AP. Is a draft pick best vested with magical thinking?

Mike Mayock left these prospects off his 'Top Five' list.

Joseph Randle (Oklahoma State), Mike Gillislee (Florida), Stepfan Taylor (Stanford), Jawan Jamison (Rutgers), and Le'Veon Bell (Michigan State).

I'm seeing other solid candidates for round 4-6 picks.

GO PACK GO !

3irty1
04-02-2013, 08:22 AM

I think he'll go lower than that.

woodbuck27
04-02-2013, 08:29 AM

Ever play ball? Ever swing for the fence?

swede
04-02-2013, 12:15 PM
Ever play ball? Ever swing for the fence?

Every time, baby, every time!

Never hit it once.

Smeefers
04-02-2013, 01:22 PM

Well, he could, but there's a strong possibility that there will be no RB drafted in the 1st round. Getting one in the second isn't that out of the question. IF, and that's a big if, Thompson picks an early RB to target, I think this would be a pretty good guy to go after. Of course, if he drops back from the first to the second round, one of the first two top RB's may still be available. That's a whole lot of ifs though.

I don't know why we even try and talk about this. There has never been a method to the madness that is TT's drafting technique. Trying to figure it out is like trying to get 5 kids to line up and take a picture while on vacation.

3irty1
04-02-2013, 02:37 PM
Well, he could, but there's a strong possibility that there will be no RB drafted in the 1st round. Getting one in the second isn't that out of the question. IF, and that's a big if, Thompson picks an early RB to target, I think this would be a pretty good guy to go after. Of course, if he drops back from the first to the second round, one of the first two top RB's may still be available. That's a whole lot of ifs though.

I don't know why we even try and talk about this. There has never been a method to the madness that is TT's drafting technique. Trying to figure it out is like trying to get 5 kids to line up and take a picture while on vacation.

I think Lattimore warrants looks starting about the late 3rd and into the 4th. He's more Michael Bush than Willis McGahee.

woodbuck27
04-02-2013, 04:31 PM

Muhammed Ali said "Life is a mystery"'

For Packer fans then is Ted Thompson ... 'Life'?

LP
04-02-2013, 08:34 PM
There has never been a method to the madness that is TT's drafting technique.

How many times does it need to be said? The method is to take the best rated football player available at the time, with the rating being derived from information compiled by the organization over the course of years, and not available to anyone outside the organization. Player, not position, unless there is a "tie", in which they may decide by position. It's not rocket science.

woodbuck27
04-02-2013, 10:02 PM
How many times does it need to be said? The method is to take the best rated football player available at the time, with the rating being derived from information compiled by the organization over the course of years, and not available to anyone outside the organization. Player, not position, unless there is a "tie", in which they may decide by position. It's not rocket science.

That is best.

Fritz
04-03-2013, 07:24 AM

You're right, it's not rocket science.

http://t1.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcSBGlWYPt3hTcsXwOgtHWDdTcervXod5 2CYoUIMTQgY9vkhPT2m

It's voodoo!

woodbuck27
04-03-2013, 08:02 AM

You're right, it's not rocket science.

http://t1.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcSBGlWYPt3hTcsXwOgtHWDdTcervXod5 2CYoUIMTQgY9vkhPT2m

It's voodoo!

and maybe? some of this:

http://t2.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcRY_BUfT-WUKfTVIV8bThE1b11qp7XRpdTr2PlRbqloZ_46ULyUPA

Smeefers
04-03-2013, 10:35 AM

Then you explain last years defensive splurge. You're telling me that it just happened that we had a defensive guy rated highest in every round?

woodbuck27
04-03-2013, 10:42 AM
Then you explain last years defensive splurge. You're telling me that it just happened that we had a defensive guy rated highest in every round?

In Green Bay language such as....

"We reserve the right to use our options". . . . is common.

Freak Out
04-16-2013, 01:44 PM
Nice comparison.

http://www.nationalfootballpost.com/Pick-your-Poison-Giovani-Bernard-vs-Eddie-Lacy.html

Freak Out
04-16-2013, 06:46 PM
http://espnwisconsin.com/common/page.php?feed=2&utm_source=twitterfeed&utm_medium=twitter&id=7501&is_corp=1

Fritz
04-17-2013, 06:12 AM
When you read that football post article you think Bernard's going to be a better pro than Lacey.

I still am disappointed in Alex Green. For a guy as fast as he was and as big as he was, he didn't run very fast or very big.

I probably hold out hope way too long - I had hopes for Justin Harrell right up until he went down in the Philly game that last time - but that's who I am, and so I hope Green will surprise us all and break out this year as a tough, fast runner who can make that one cut and go.

But even if he doesn't I'll still be disappointed if they pick up a running back in the first round. The reviews on Lacey seem so-so. And he's supposed to be the best.

Smidgeon
04-17-2013, 09:34 AM
I still am disappointed in Alex Green. For a guy as fast as he was and as big as he was, he didn't run very fast or very big.

I probably hold out hope way too long - I had hopes for Justin Harrell right up until he went down in the Philly game that last time - but that's who I am, and so I hope Green will surprise us all and break out this year as a tough, fast runner who can make that one cut and go.

I know what you mean. I'm hoping that it just took him extra time to recover from his ACL. Either that or it's taking him some time to adjust to the vision needed to read defenses in the NFL. Since Ahman Green, only Cedric Benson has shown the ability to identify creases and get as much out of them as possible. Alex Green seems to be more athletic than Benson, he just doesn't have the same vision or trust in his vision.

But heck, I held out hope for Harrell to the end too. If the trainer hadn't screwed up his back, he could've been somebody.

woodbuck27
04-17-2013, 12:06 PM
When you read that football post article you think Bernard's going to be a better pro than Lacey.

But even if he doesn't I'll still be disappointed if they pick up a running back in the first round. The reviews on Lacey seem so-so. And he's supposed to be the best.

There's no way that TT picks Eddie lacy at #26. Rest assured of that.

The propoganda says that Ted Thompson is very interested in Eddie Lacy. I hope he's more interested in his OL. Even more interested in his 'D' !

The word out there now is heating up RE: Eddie Lacy and the manner in which he conducted himself at his pro Day and that not being good at all. He ran a somewhat OK but could be judged not so good for a #1 RB and unworthy of a 1st rd. pick (4.57 - 4.59/40). Worse the things I read said he looked 'out of shape'. That he cut the whole procedure short.

He didn't impress many in attendance. So ... his stock continues to fall. He's actually 'no longer' the clear cut No. 1 RB on all boards. That distinction seems to have gone, to close the gap between him and Johnathan Franklin, UCLA.

Giovani Bernard, N. Carolina was NO.1 on a Draft Board I saw last night.

Get this ... I saw a creditable Mock that actually showed Eddie Lacy falling to us in Rd. 2 at #55.

I'm not impressed. This fella isn't 'a lightening strikes twice' falling Aaron Rodgers. TT might be best advised to 'only' be mildly interested in his destination in this draft. It's really where he played last season and his OL at >>>>>>>>>>> A L A B A M A and College ball.

Really ... is he a great proposition and the Green Bay Packers and his North - South running style and our issues on the Offensive line? He had Alabama's OL and College ball and this step is huge.

Do we really want to use a high Rd. 1 or 2 pick on RB Eddie Lacy? I don't believe so.

PACKERS !

woodbuck27
04-24-2013, 08:00 AM
http://www.thebiglead.com/index.php/2013/04/23/ki-jana-carter-penn-state-star-to-nfl-draft-bust-due-to-injuries/?source=top-modules

Catching Up With Ki-Jana Carter, Who Went From Penn State Star to NFL Draft Bust Due to Injuries

All, Former Athletes, NFL Draft Tim Casey ... April 23rd. 2013, 1:45 PM

PACKERS !

rbaloha1
04-24-2013, 09:03 AM
Its all there for Green -- agree it is disappointing.

Committee approach remains.

Fritz
04-24-2013, 02:57 PM
You wonder: why did he go down so often on first contact, and why did he run up his blockers' backs so often, or miss a hole so he could jam up into the crowded part of the line of scrimmage.

And is any of this fixable, if it is his vision, or is he just mediocre?

Zool
04-24-2013, 03:11 PM
You wonder: why did he go down so often on first contact, and why did he run up his blockers' backs so often, or miss a hole so he could jam up into the crowded part of the line of scrimmage.

And is any of this fixable, if it is his vision, or is he just mediocre?

The last couple games of the year, he finally started not going down on first contact. Let's hope prior to that he was just running light with the knee in his mind.