PDA

View Full Version : An insider's view of TT

Patler
02-23-2013, 12:01 PM
I would be honored if coworkers said this about me:

“(Thompson) is a leader of men,” Dorsey said. “He’s true. I’ve always said he’s got a very pure and a very true heart. He will not lie. He will not break rules. He believes in honor. And Ted is extremely smart. None of us likes change, but change sometimes is inevitable. He’ll adapt.”

George Cumby
02-23-2013, 01:09 PM
I would be honored if coworkers said this about me:

Yawp. That's some seriously high praise. One can aspire to be spoken of in such glowing terms.

swede
02-23-2013, 02:42 PM
The same can not usually be said of the writers that cover football. They often have to create angst and controversy in order to cover it.

Except maybe for that guy that worked as a football journalist one day in April of...2009? I think his name was Plater.

He was a pretty straight shooter.

Except for the part where he lied about being a football journalist.

But I really do like Ted for just those reasons. To the extent that football is a business, he nevertheless handles his players carefully.

In fact, as much as I was in Ted's camp rather than Favre's camp during retirement-gate, Favre is the only player whose career was overtly manipulated by Ted's actions. In most other cases Ted chooses to release players without trying to extract some further benefit for the team at the expense of their freedom to play where they wish to play. In Favre's case he decidedly and emphatically--and uncharacteristically--tilted the math way away from Favre's freedom to play where he wanted and toward the best possible business deal for the Packers.

So maybe Favre does have a gripe.

One little tiny stain in the shape of a #4 on an otherwise pure heart.

I can live with that.

Patler
02-23-2013, 02:50 PM
The same can not usually be said of the writers that cover football. They often have to create angst and controversy in order to cover it.

Except maybe for that guy that worked as a football journalist one day in April of...2009? I think his name was Plater.

He was a pretty straight shooter.

Except for the part where he lied about being a football journalist.

:lol: :lol: I actually felt a little guilty about that one, after getting some very nice personal messages from a few members who thought, at least a little bit, that it might not be an April Fools prank.

Just a little, though..... :lol:

Patler
02-23-2013, 03:02 PM
In fact, as much as I was in Ted's camp rather than Favre's camp during retirement-gate, Favre is the only player whose career was overtly manipulated by Ted's actions. In most other cases Ted chooses to release players without trying to extract some further benefit for the team at the expense of their freedom to play where they wish to play. In Favre's case he decidedly and emphatically--and uncharacteristically--tilted the math way away from Favre's freedom to play where he wanted and toward the best possible business deal for the Packers.

So maybe Favre does have a gripe.

One little tiny stain in the shape of a #4 on an otherwise pure heart.

I can live with that.

The tag and trade of Cory Williams, to get him where TT wanted and for what he wanted, was similar.
For that matter, Javon Walker, too.

But for old guys, Favre is about it. There is a long list of guys who were allowed to go where they pleased.

King Friday
02-23-2013, 06:27 PM

If Favre would've been DECISIVE about his own career, Thompson would've shown him the same respect he's shown everyone else. Favre was the one who screwed his situation up...not Thompson.

swede
02-23-2013, 07:16 PM
The tag and trade of Cory Williams, to get him where TT wanted and for what he wanted, was similar.
For that matter, Javon Walker, too.

But for old guys, Favre is about it. There is a long list of guys who were allowed to go where they pleased.

One of the reasons I feel safe at Packerrats is that I can talk out of my butt to find out what I have to say, and if I am wrong on a factual matter I have Patler running in the background like spellcheck.

Now I go to my other Packer site and I can say, "But for the exceptions of a few younger players, like Corey Williams and Javon Walker, Ted has rarely leveraged his advantage the way he did with Favre."

You really ought to charge for this service, Buddy.

swede
02-23-2013, 07:58 PM
I blame myself for getting us off in the "He Who Must Not Be Named" weeds.

Perhaps we can respond to this thread in terms of other men or women we have known who have been singularly honorable, honest, capable, and of dependably high character.

My former neighbor, an oncologist, is a tremendously faith-filled man. It happens that he is treating my own father for stage 4 lung/bone cancer. He spends his days treating people for illness which can often lead to death, but for as long as I have known him he has always carried himself cheerfully and pleasantly despite the stress and long hours of his profession. I have never heard him curse or speak badly of anyone, but he is not a scold. His children are dearly loved and strictly disciplined. I've seen his oldest grow from a little kid into a really impressive young man.

Now that I know him on a professional level, he is adept at explaining, listening, and offering patient choice and control. He knows his stuff, referenced with statistics and case studies, and communicates with great clarity and empathy.

Okay, so it is a Ted thread. My point is that I can count on one hand the number of people in my life who can be described as reliably true, honest, smart, and virtuous in every interaction with others. Lots of really, really good people are in my life also, but most of them are cynical or sarcastic or self-interested or judgmental or corner cutters or slovenly or mean-spirited or dogmatic or gossipy or loud or suffer from halitosis like me.

I think the key to living the virtuous life is to only speak the truth, only say what needs to be said, and always do more than you say.

This makes Ted a good guy but a bad interview.

woodbuck27
02-24-2013, 09:56 AM

Perhaps we can respond to this thread in terms of other men or women we have known who have been singularly honorable, honest, capable, and of dependably high character.

My former neighbor, an oncologist, is a tremendously faith-filled man. It happens that he is treating my own father for stage 4 lung/bone cancer. He spends his days treating people for illness which can often lead to death, but for as long as I have known him he has always carried himself cheerfully and pleasantly despite the stress and long hours of his profession. I have never heard him curse or speak badly of anyone, but he is not a scold. His children are dearly loved and strictly disciplined. I've seen his oldest grow from a little kid into a really impressive young man.

Now that I know him on a professional level, he is adept at explaining, listening, and offering patient choice and control. He knows his stuff, referenced with statistics and case studies, and communicates with great clarity and empathy.

Okay, so it is a Ted thread. My point is that I can count on one hand the number of people in my life who can be described as reliably true, honest, smart, and virtuous in every interaction with others. Lots of really, really good people are in my life also, but most of them are cynical or sarcastic or self-interested or judgmental or corner cutters or slovenly or mean-spirited or dogmatic or gossipy or loud or suffer from halitosis like me.

I think the key to living the virtuous life is to only speak the truth, only say what needs to be said, and always do more than you say.

Yes.

Fritz
02-24-2013, 10:49 AM

There are more than a few of us Rats who think Plater and Ted are the same guy.

pbmax
02-24-2013, 12:33 PM

I loved the post swede and its good to know such a man exists in medicine at a time of need.

But we are missing an opportunity if we don't put that quote on a T-shirt and some choice Finley quotes on the back. :lol:

I love having Finley around and I still think there is a chance for him. This, after having quite publicly given up hope midseason during Dropfest 2012. Of course he then turned it around 180 degrees. He might never be anything other than consistently inconsistent, but if he ever got his mind in front of his mouth and post-career financial prospects, he would be something to watch.

swede
02-24-2013, 02:17 PM
I love having Finley around and I still think there is a chance for him. This, after having quite publicly given up hope midseason during Dropfest 2012. Of course he then turned it around 180 degrees. He might never be anything other than consistently inconsistent, but if he ever got his mind in front of his mouth and post-career financial prospects, he would be something to watch.

I think the most remarkable thing is how little irritation Mike seems to have with Jermichael regarding his media presence.

One gets the feeling they really love that kid, mouth and all.

woodbuck27
03-01-2013, 12:21 PM
I think the most remarkable thing is how little irritation Mike seems to have with Jermichael regarding his media presence.

Come April we certainly will know if your correct.

Fritz
03-05-2013, 05:57 AM

This post conjures visions of McCarthy grabbing Finley and giving him a noogy.

Pugger
03-05-2013, 12:15 PM

I truly believe fans have more of a problem with Finley than anyone at 1265 and this is why I don't see him going anywhere else any time soon. If his teammates and coaches - who know him a hell of lot better than any of us do - like him I don't have an issue with him either.

Patler
03-05-2013, 12:50 PM
I truly believe fans have more of a problem with Finley than anyone at 1265 and this is why I don't see him going anywhere else any time soon. If his teammates and coaches - who know him a hell of lot better than any of us do - like him I don't have an issue with him either.

I don't think it has much to do with liking him or not. With 60 players more or less there will always be many different personalities. To me it is primarily a question of performance versus cost. As of now, Finley has a very large cap impact, especially in comparison to others, a salary cap impact that hasn't been justified based on his performance the last few years. However, he did show signs of "breaking out" last year, although he will have to become truly elite to completely earn his pay this year.

That said, with Jennings most likely gone, and questions behind Finley at TE for 2013, I suspect they will bite the bullet and pay him for 2013. The big question will be if he earns a return engagement after this year.

pbmax
03-05-2013, 04:59 PM
I sent this message to Wilde and Packer Report guy the other day. They were recounting the things fans might hold against Finley, surprised at the small bore nature of it and dancing around whether it was influenced by race but neither mentioned his shot at the QB for throwing the football to his wrong shoulder during his (I think) rookie season. It was not an encouraging start and he has kept tripping over that same line. Repeatedly.

But from the way the team and Rodgers react to him, its clear he earns their admiration at practice. Though I think Rodgers was good and fed up at one point this season. He had encouraged Finley to drop by his hotel room as other receivers did to talk about the game, game plan and other questions. Somewhere I read even after a re-invite this year, Finley didn't take advantage of it. Rodgers had given up (either because of or causing the agent outburst). Someone suggested he just push the matter directly (McCarthy?) and go get Finley and bring him along. For some reason, that worked and they met the rest of the season. And that precipitated Finley's best production since 2009/early '10.