PDA

View Full Version : My yearly homer draft pick

MadtownPacker
02-26-2013, 09:20 PM
Well its that time and usually I find myself calling for TT to draft a Fresno State player. I don't think I have ever called one right but this might be the year. Figured why not make a thread since it's what all the cool rats do. In case you didn't know FS is the "big" school in the region where I live. Also the first football team I ever rooted for even though I didn't know what was going on other than the part about getting in the endzone for a touchdown. So homerism runs rampant and this year with one of the selections in the draft TT takes...

Phillip Thomas, Safety - Fresno St (http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/draft/players/1692675/phillip-thomas)

KYPack
02-26-2013, 09:27 PM
Well its that time and usually I find myself calling for TT to draft a Fresno State player. I don't think I have ever called one right but this might be the year. Figured why not make a thread since it's what all the cool rats do. In case you didn't know FS is the "big" school in the region where I live. Also the first football team I ever rooted for even though I didn't know what was going on other than the part about getting in the endzone for a touchdown. So homerism runs rampant and this year with one of the selections in the draft TT takes...

Phillip Thomas, Safety - Fresno St (http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/draft/players/1692675/phillip-thomas)

We'll take a Bulldog, Biatch!

Remember Tyrone Culver failed, maybe this one is a charm

OS PA
02-26-2013, 09:33 PM
I really liked this kid's workout. http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/draft/players/1723146

Joemailman
02-27-2013, 09:53 AM
Thomas ran a slow 40 for a safety, so there might be some concern about his top line speed. He had 8 INT's though, so he could be the kind of playmaker the Packers are looking for. Reports were he played really well at the Senior Bowl. I'd be okay with him in the 2nd, assuming they don't get Vaccaro or Reid in the 1st.

KYPack
02-27-2013, 02:15 PM
This is supposed to be a banner year at S for this college crop.

Mad, yer boy is in the top group, but ranked lower for the 40 time.

It might happen, ya never know

MadScientist
02-27-2013, 04:22 PM
I thought the 40 might be a little slow, but it is in line with the other top FS prospects. There are a few SS in the 4.4 range, but they have other warts. Football traits on him sound really good, other than biting on play action or double moves which should be correctable. I certainly won't call for TT's head if he pick him.

MadtownPacker
02-27-2013, 05:25 PM
Thomas ran a slow 40 for a safety, so there might be some concern about his top line speed. He had 8 INT's though, so he could be the kind of playmaker the Packers are looking for. Reports were he played really well at the Senior Bowl. I'd be okay with him in the 2nd, assuming they don't get Vaccaro or Reid in the 1st.Sounds about right. I think his gambling style has shades of Woodson, which is why I would love to be right about this one.

MadtownPacker
02-27-2013, 05:28 PM
This is supposed to be a banner year at S for this college crop.

Mad, yer boy is in the top group, but ranked lower for the 40 time.

It might happen, ya never knowThe man knows how to find the ball!! Reason I am hopeful is that he is predicted to go in round 2 or 3, TT's diamond rounds!!!

red
02-27-2013, 05:29 PM
i liked the kids combine a lot, however that 40 time is a tad slow. thats the only thing that really worries me

overall i wouldn't mind taking him maybe in the 2nd or 3rd

MadtownPacker
02-27-2013, 09:19 PM
I'm surprised all you bitches like the pick. Now it wont happen. :wait:

red
02-27-2013, 09:36 PM

i only watched a few hours of the combine, but he was one of like 3 or so guys that really caught my attention and stood out

Bretsky
02-27-2013, 11:32 PM

I don't trust you....so I hate the pick :)

There, now there is a chance

Iron Mike
02-28-2013, 07:22 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XU5vsum2vHw&playnext=1&list=PLd1qc8NHOElWMarrW03-E5EMflNvFO4y

3irty1
02-28-2013, 08:20 AM
Guy plays a lot faster than 4.65 that's for sure but he still doesn't fit the mold that Ted has been drafting. Wouldn't be the first time he surprised us though.

MadtownPacker
02-28-2013, 09:50 AM
I don't trust you....so I hate the pick :)

There, now there is a chance
Oh shit!! Now it might happen.

MadtownPacker
02-28-2013, 09:52 AM
Guy plays a lot faster than 4.65 that's for sure but he still doesn't fit the mold that Ted has been drafting. Wouldn't be the first time he surprised us though.Well he has the small thing going. What aspects do you think doesn't work for TT?

3irty1
02-28-2013, 11:08 AM
I think he's a little slow for TT. Thomas to me looks a bit like Jairus Byrd in a best case scenario and Charlie Peprah in a worst case scenario.

TT seems to prefer size/speed projects like Collins, McMillian, and Rouse. Closest thing TT has drafted would be Burnett but Burnett is a much better athlete than Thomas.

3irty1
02-28-2013, 11:32 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XU5vsum2vHw&playnext=1&list=PLd1qc8NHOElWMarrW03-E5EMflNvFO4y

This guy is a really nice fit and I bet he's higher on our board than most.

MadtownPacker
02-28-2013, 11:56 AM
Size projects? Collins and Mcmillian are both 5'11. Nick the quick is the only one who had a special burst IMO. How is Burnett a better athlete?

3irty1
02-28-2013, 12:26 PM
Size projects? Collins and McMillian are both 5'11. Nick the quick is the only one who had a special burst IMO. How is Burnett a better athlete?

Collins and McMillian are both over 200 lbs and run like corner backs. That's a lot of momentum and they both get to top speed in a flash. Nick could plant and explode really well but McMillian is better at changing directions IMO. Regardless, both are phenomenal athletes for their position.

Burnett is a better athlete than Thomas in every respect. I thought the Byrd and Peprah comparisons are pretty fair for Thomas.

Thomas is a great football player and deserves to go in the 2nd round IMO, it just doesn't feel like TT's style to me. TT is secretly Al Davis on this stuff. I'd be happy if you're right, this D needs star power more than it needs another athlete.

MadScientist
02-28-2013, 12:28 PM
Don't worry. You picked a highly regarded player at a position of need for the Packers. Liking him as a pick has is nothing personal, we see your choice as more of a blind squirrel nut thing.

woodbuck27
02-28-2013, 01:08 PM
We'll take a Bulldog, Biatch!

Remember Tyrone Culver failed, maybe this one is a charm

This fella?

http://www.nfldraftscout.com/ratings/dsprofile.php?pyid=84086&draftyear=2013&genpos=FS

MadtownPacker
02-28-2013, 01:57 PM
Collins and McMillian are both over 200 lbs and run like corner backs. That's a lot of momentum and they both get to top speed in a flash. Nick could plant and explode really well but McMillian is better at changing directions IMO. Regardless, both are phenomenal athletes for their position.

Burnett is a better athlete than Thomas in every respect. I thought the Byrd and Peprah comparisons are pretty fair for Thomas.

Thomas is a great football player and deserves to go in the 2nd round IMO, it just doesn't feel like TT's style to me. TT is secretly Al Davis on this stuff. I'd be happy if you're right, this D needs star power more than it needs another athlete.
OK that's a solid post and I have to agree except that last point you make is the one I think does suit the Packers. He has a nose for the ball and my homerism has me hopeful he could replace some of the on the field instincts Woodson is taking with him.

MadtownPacker
02-28-2013, 02:27 PM
Don't worry. You picked a highly regarded player at a position of need for the Packers. Liking him as a pick has is nothing personal, we see your choice as more of a blind squirrel nut thing.
Highly regarded huh? Did you know of him already? Im targeting him as a pick because he played at Fresno State. Plus I think he would be a great fit. So take my nut and shove it!

swede
02-28-2013, 02:31 PM
Highly regarded huh? Did you know of him already? Im targeting him as a pick because he played at Fresno State. Plus I think he would be a great fit. So take my nut and shove it!

Wow. Euell Gibbons love beads.

smuggler
02-28-2013, 04:21 PM
If he plays faster than the combine number, I really wouldn't be surprised if Ted considered or drafted him. Ted likes to see fast players on the grass and turf, not on the track. Just look at Casey Heyward.

As far as height/weight, Thompson definitely has a certain standard that he rarely deviates from.

woodbuck27
03-01-2013, 11:55 AM
Wow. Euell Gibbons love beads.

Ohh shit! Now were talkin' .... 'nuts' .... and again .... off topic.