PDA

View Full Version : Johnny Jolly reinstated to the NFL

packrulz
02-27-2013, 05:30 PM
The Packers still own the rights to him: http://www.packersnews.com/article/20130227/PKR0101/130227083/NFL-reinstates-Packers-Jolly?nclick_check=1

Patler
02-27-2013, 05:34 PM
Wow. I am surprised.
I hope it works out for him, in GB or elsewhere.

red
02-27-2013, 05:35 PM
its about fucking time

i have doubts that the guy can still play after being gone so long.

still would like to see him in camp

Patler
02-27-2013, 05:38 PM
$2.5 million under his old contract sounds like a lot for his situation. I suspect the Packers will release him, but may resign him at a lower salary.

Old School
02-27-2013, 05:42 PM
If the Packers bring him in for a look see, it will be very telling to find out what kind of shape he's in. If they like what they see and can negotiate a contract fair to both sides, it wil thenl be interesting to see what he still has. He should at least have no nagging injuries and have fresh legs.

It would be nice to see him succeed.

swede
02-27-2013, 05:50 PM
Musings:

For a conservative a$$hole I am still a bleeding heart at heart, and I have always thought the biggest problem with Jolly was his inability to shake the bad influences of his old neighborhood. It was terribly counterproductive of the NFL to keep him away from his team and his only healthy support system.

The league might want to think about how they do things in terms of the welfare of the young men they exploit. Keeping players from playing the game and getting paychecks is pretty sufficient punishment, one would think. Shutting them out from team facilities might be overkill, especially in situations such as Jolly's.

I'd rather have Jolly over for dinner than Goodell. Goodell is an asshole. Can I set my keyboard to write"asshole" every time I input "Goodell"?

I think Jolly returning to the Pack is 20 for to 80 against. The window may have closed. But at least asshole can sit in his big leather chair and know that he did every thing he could to protect the good name of the league.

red
02-27-2013, 05:54 PM
to me the d-line missed him more then they missed jenkins

jolly just had that "it" factor. low key guy, but how many times did he make a play or knock down a pass at the perfect time?

Joemailman
02-27-2013, 05:56 PM
Ol' Cleedeeus says "Let him come back!"

http://i453.photobucket.com/albums/qq254/mraynrand/CleditusBling.jpg

The Shadow
02-27-2013, 05:57 PM
I would by all means bring him in at a minimum to see what he's got. The time off, after all, could mean that much less wear & tear on the tires - if he has maintained some degree of conditioning. With all the talk about the need for the Pack to get tougher & meaner - that was what Jolly brought to the table the last time around.

Joemailman
02-27-2013, 05:58 PM
I would by all means bring him in at a minimum to see what he's got. The time off, after all, could mean that much less wear & tear on the tires - if he has maintained some degree of conditioning. With all the talk about the need for the Pack to get tougher & meaner - that was what Jolly brought to the table the last time around.

I'm not worried about the tires. I'm worried about the size of the spare tire.

red
02-27-2013, 06:02 PM
I'm not worried about the tires. I'm worried about the size of the spare tire.

he could have gone the other way too

johnny jolly, DE 6'3 175 pounds

MadtownPacker
02-27-2013, 06:04 PM

Ole Cledius just needs to make sure he consumes all the purple drank and Jolly will be just fine.

Patler
02-27-2013, 06:06 PM
I wonder how this will be handled, contractually. As I recall, Jolly was a restricted FA, and the Packers made a right of first refusal/first round draft pick tender offer, and I think Jolly signed it immediately. If that was tolled, and is now reinstated in its entirety, the Packers might have limitations on what they can do. The tenders could be revoked before being signed, in which case the player became a FA immediately. But things change when the player signs it.

Will it be interpreted under the 2006 CBA, which was in effect at the time?
Is a signed RFA tender guaranteed like a franchise tender is? I don't recall off hand, but I think there at least were limitations on releasing and re-signing an RFA who signed.

It seems to me that I read somewhere back in 2010, that the Packers would retain his rights, but not the contract. They might have to re-tender him this year.

pbmax
02-27-2013, 06:32 PM
Just a guess, but I suspect that they will get a chance to sign him at a small number. The tender might be the highest he sees, if necessary. The only holdup would be whether that tender is guaranteed at all.

Jolly had reportedly been working out when he reapplied. I hope he kept it up. He and Wilson would be nice DEs on base downs and give them an option to rest Pick or Raji.

If he still has anything in the tank.

Iron Mike
02-27-2013, 07:31 PM

http://payload57.cargocollective.com/1/7/245013/3456607/koolaidlarge.jpg

MadtownPacker
02-27-2013, 09:15 PM
So did he sign so I can have some sizzer?

KYPack
02-27-2013, 09:26 PM
The time in the can has a big effect on guys.

Big Johnny was a load, big old country strong guy.

I'm with Red, he was great at throwing that big meat hand up & knockin' down balls.

Around here, the cops don't really even bust guys for that sizurp shit.

They just make 'em dump it out and if there is somebody to lug you home, they let 'em go.

Guiness
02-27-2013, 10:02 PM
His contract situation is going to be interesting to be sure. He signed the tender, so it should be guaranteed - but this is hardly a normal situation. Does the suspension void the tender? If so, do the Packers have his rights at all? I doubt there's much in the CBA to cover this pretty unique situation, I suspect an arbitrator or 'special master' might have to rule.

Of course, JJ might be way more than happy to sign for the vet minimum for the chance to come to camp, and the rest will be irrelevant.

The league certainly did him wrong. IMO he received more punishment from them than he did from the legal system.

edit: I've seen a couple of places that his contract tolled, i.e. was paused. That would mean the tender would still be in effect. Do tendered RFAs who sign have a guaranteed contract? I imagine the Packers would kick about that.

pbmax
02-27-2013, 10:21 PM
Reporters keep saying the contract "tolled". I now know they mean it has been carried over since he was ineligible to play, and that now that he is back he is still on that deal. A contractual time-out.

But I keep thinking they should say it HASN'T tolled.

Either way, get him to camp. He's 6' 3" according to ESPN Wisconsin. He'll dwarf some of the others. No one will be able to run screens on them.

woodbuck27
02-27-2013, 11:32 PM
This about covers it:

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/1547294-green-bay-packers-why-the-packers-should-bring-back-johnny-jolly

Green Bay Packers: Why the Packers Should Bring Back Johnny Jolly

" Look at the current Packers defensive line. Ryan Pickett is in the twilight of his career and has been banged up over the past several seasons. B.J. Raji played better in 2012 after a lackluster performance the season before. 2012 second-round pick Jerel Worthy tore his ACL and his ability to contribute in 2013 is very much in doubt. Mike Neal finally showed some promise, but his injury history will hover over him until he can remain healthy for another full season.

Therefore, what do the Packers have to lose by at least bringing Jolly to training camp?

Having the Packers stand by Jolly could do wonders for his confidence as he continues to piece his life back together after his time in prison. Jolly was beginning to show promise before he was suspended and even though he just turned 30, there is still a chance for him to return to form."

GO PACK GO !

Guiness
02-28-2013, 02:28 AM
This about covers it:

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/1547294-green-bay-packers-why-the-packers-should-bring-back-johnny-jolly

[/B]

I would like to see him in camp as well Woody, but about the time you start quoting BR to make a point, I don't know...

Fritz
02-28-2013, 06:21 AM
I would like to see him in camp as well Woody, but about the time you start quoting BR to make a point, I don't know...

I'm guessing - or am I simply hoping? - that the Packers will retain his rights and be allowed to sign him to a minimum contract. If not, I would hope Jolly would realize that small-town Green Bay might be his best chance to stay clean and succeed, and would tear up the RFA and sign a minimum contract so he can come to camp with the Pack.

If he's in any kind of shape, I would jump all over this. Bring him in, man. Why not give him a test drive during mini camps and in training camp? What's the harm?

Supposedly he loved the team, and they supported him. What better place to try to re-establish your life?

3irty1
02-28-2013, 07:49 AM
Jolly was truly kicked from the game in his prime but I see no reason his hustle and instincts won't allow him to pick the game back up at a high level. This could be a real blessing for the Pack IMO.

Cheesehead Craig
02-28-2013, 10:46 AM
+1 on the bring him in. Hopefully the man can turn it around.

woodbuck27
02-28-2013, 12:28 PM

In this instance Bleacher Report hit it about right 'on all points' in regards to any decision regarding Johnny Jolly and the Green Bay Packers.

Secondly..... I'm wasn't attempting to make a point until now.

We know 'the Packers' have a need on the DL. We know that we are thinner there, and especially so with with the status of J. Worthy and the time it will take for him to return to 100%.

Packer fans are fervently on Johnny Jolly's side and want to see him return to the Packers for another chance in the NFL if he's ready for that challenge. See the poll attached to this news release.

As BR reports ....the best place for JJ to get it back in the NFL is likely Green Bay.

Can NFL.com or ESPN writers get it more accurate?

swede
02-28-2013, 02:28 PM
In this instance Bleacher Report hit it about right 'on all points' in regards to any decision regarding Johnny Jolly and the Green Bay Packers.

Secondly..... I'm wasn't attempting to make a point until now.

We know 'the Packers' have a need on the DL. We know that we are thinner there, and especially so with with the status of J. Worthy and the time it will take for him to return to 100%.

Packer fans are fervently on Johnny Jolly's side and want to see him return to the Packers for another chance in the NFL if he's ready for that challenge. See the poll attached to this news release.

As BR reports ....the best place for JJ to get it back in the NFL is likely Green Bay.

Can NFL.com or ESPN writers get it more accurate?

I see the moon and tides are in the "Woodbuck making solid, succinct posts" phase.

Agree with all of it...except points off for the "I'm wasn't".

smuggler
02-28-2013, 04:18 PM
Probably two years too late on the reinstatement. I'll never truly forgive Goodell for what he did to Jolly, however, I'm glad it's over and he can try to pick up the pieces on his career.

MadScientist
02-28-2013, 04:56 PM
Probably two years too late on the reinstatement. I'll never truly forgive Goodell for what he did to Jolly, however, I'm glad it's over and he can try to pick up the pieces on his career.

The punishment was high for what Jolly did, but in this case Goodell's hands were more or less tied. Jolly kept testing positive or getting arrested for the same thing before he was scheduled for reinstatement. The penalty was initiated because of drugs, but dragged out because of colossal stupidity.

JohnMexico
02-28-2013, 05:03 PM
Musings:

For a conservative a$$hole I am still a bleeding heart at heart, and I have always thought the biggest problem with Jolly was his inability to shake the bad influences of his old neighborhood. It was terribly counterproductive of the NFL to keep him away from his team and his only healthy support system.

The league might want to think about how they do things in terms of the welfare of the young men they exploit. Keeping players from playing the game and getting paychecks is pretty sufficient punishment, one would think. Shutting them out from team facilities might be overkill, especially in situations such as Jolly's.

I'd rather have Jolly over for dinner than Goodell. Goodell is an asshole. Can I set my keyboard to write"asshole" every time I input "Goodell"?

I think Jolly returning to the Pack is 20 for to 80 against. The window may have closed. But at least asshole can sit in his big leather chair and know that he did every thing he could to protect the good name of the league.

Beautiful post, especially the end. They are not looking out for guys like Jolly, especially considering their lack of concern for letting him spend time with his support system.

He was one of my favorite Packers.

Joemailman
02-28-2013, 05:03 PM
It might be telling that there is no mention of Jolly's reinstatement at Packers.com. When Jolly was sentenced in 2011, TT's statement on the matter referred to Jolly in the past tense. It's quite possible the Packers have washed their hands of Johnny Jolly.

King Friday
02-28-2013, 09:41 PM
I doubt the Packers bring him back. I expect Thompson to pick up a young kid for the DL...and possibly kick the tires on a few 3rd tier FAs.

wist43
02-28-2013, 10:54 PM
Would love to see Jolly back on the field. He's 30, but no dents in the fender for the past few years... so it's a younger 30 in that regard.

Loved him as a player... if he's even 90% of what he was, he immediately becomes our 2nd best DL.

Pugger
02-28-2013, 11:01 PM
It might be telling that there is no mention of Jolly's reinstatement at Packers.com. When Jolly was sentenced in 2011, TT's statement on the matter referred to Jolly in the past tense. It's quite possible the Packers have washed their hands of Johnny Jolly.

Maybe we can't say anything on the Packer website until he is formally reinstated later today?

Patler
03-01-2013, 05:22 AM

Maybe we can't say anything on the Packer website until he is formally reinstated later today?

I think Pugger is right. Packers.com is often days behind publicity about player news. They one time explained that they will not post player signings until the contract has been signed, submitted to the league and approved.

woodbuck27
03-01-2013, 11:49 AM

Maybe this will serve those of you in here that disrespect anything Bleacher Report (if that's the case). Maybe you missed it the first time it was originally published. This certainly gets back to 'making it real':

Re-post: 'OTL' on Johnny Jolly.

February, 28, 2013 By: Kevin Seifert | ESPN.com

http://espn.go.com/blog/nfcnorth/post/_/id/53616/re-post-otl-on-johnny-jolly

Now that's keeping it real.

GO PACKERS !

Guiness
03-02-2013, 10:53 AM
Maybe this will serve those of you in here that disrespect anything Bleacher Report (if that's the case). Maybe you missed it the first time it was originally published. This certainly gets back to 'making it real':

Re-post: 'OTL' on Johnny Jolly.

February, 28, 2013 By: Kevin Seifert | ESPN.com

http://espn.go.com/blog/nfcnorth/post/_/id/53616/re-post-otl-on-johnny-jolly

Now that's keeping it real.

GO PACKERS !

Woody, that's the second time you've quoted my 'disrespect' of Bleacher Report. Slow down and take my comment for what it's worth.

I don't doubt that they occasionally have insightful articles, even a blind nut occasionally finds a squirrel :razz:
Their focus is on creampuff, obvious pieces with plenty of pretty pictures, that are either well behind what would be considered newsworth, or they are pure conjecture of the 'what if' variety. You've got more football knowledge than to waster your time looking through their junk! Take their article on 'Ranking QB'. Nothing wrong with that, but they ranked the top 65??? I'd love to know how they decided Carr, who played maybe 2 or 3 series this year, is #56 and Terrelle Pryor is #47! At least after looking through that piece I learned that Pryor did start a game this year...

woodbuck27
03-02-2013, 11:17 AM
Woody, that's the second time you've quoted my 'disrespect' of Bleacher Report. Slow down and take my comment for what it's worth.

I don't doubt that they occasionally have insightful articles, even a blind nut occasionally finds a squirrel :razz:
Their focus is on creampuff, obvious pieces with plenty of pretty pictures, that are either well behind what would be considered newsworth, or they are pure conjecture of the 'what if' variety. You've got more football knowledge than to waster your time looking through their junk! Take their article on 'Ranking QB'. Nothing wrong with that, but they ranked the top 65??? I'd love to know how they decided Carr, who played maybe 2 or 3 series this year, is #56 and Terrelle Pryor is #47! At least after looking through that piece I learned that Pryor did start a game this year...

Again I realize a certain distain here for anything Bleacher Report and that's OK but I stand by that sites report on Johnny Jolly's reinstatement. That was covered clearly and compassionately. In this instance I read their report and that seemed to cover it sqarely Guiness. Therefore I used it.

To return to your position:

I'm too not always onboard with all that BR publishes and not in favour of any site that forces me to look throught 25 slides to get what I desire on the 26th.

In this case BR did a decent job.

PACKERS!

Fritz
03-03-2013, 02:07 PM
I think Pugger is right. Packers.com is often days behind publicity about player news. They one time explained that they will not post player signings until the contract has been signed, submitted to the league and approved.

Again, I'm not sure of the logistics of getting Jolly signed to a minimum contract - do they cut him and then hope he'll re-sign? That seems the most obvious way, and from Jolly's perspective, Green Bay would seem to be the very best place to resurrect or try to resurrect his career. It's a small town (thus fewer distractions), the coaches mostly know him, he knows some of the guys, and it's a solid locker room by most accounts. Oh and the Packers need a -4 DE.

So I hope this gets done. I don't exactly understand why his having three years away would be permanently damaging to his career. Sure, it's not the greatest thing, but he can get the football shape and the timing back, I would think - moreso than if he were a QB or a WR, or if speed was critical to the position he played.

So I'd like to see the Pack give him a shot. And I'd like to see him re-up with the Pack for the vet minimum or something like that, with incentives. If both sides agree, the very worst that could happen is that he'd have a relapse, which would terminate the relationship permanently. At best, the Pack gets a very solid rotational DE, and Jolly gets to focus on his career and playing football, which by most accounts he loves to do.

MJZiggy
03-03-2013, 02:53 PM
I'd have expected to have heard what happens next by now...

Bretsky
03-03-2013, 07:24 PM
I'd have expected to have heard what happens next by now...

Wh would you think this ? Because Ted moves so fast during the free agency period ?

MJZiggy
03-03-2013, 07:53 PM
Wh would you think this ? Because Ted moves so fast during the free agency period ?
Because I'd have thought the NFL would have made a statement after the reinstatement about the situation as it is a little unique...

pbmax
03-04-2013, 08:17 AM
He was not technically reinstated until this morning. So the Packers had four days to think about it, and possibly contact him.

He apparently will need to be released from his tender to get him resigned to a lower number, though what I have read seems to be reporter sourced, not from a League source.

3irty1
03-04-2013, 09:09 AM
Really hope this works out. I loved Jolly in this 3-4. Wish we could start 3 of him. I truly feel he has the type of game that should age well. He was a ball of strength, hustle, and had a way of just throwing wrenches into the OL's plans. Can't imagine what he would have been doing instead of getting in shape either.

Fritz
03-04-2013, 06:42 PM
He ought to be nothing but coiled muscle and tattoos by now.

pbmax
03-04-2013, 06:56 PM
He ought to be nothing but coiled muscle and tattoos by now.

Enough watching The Wire for you.

MJZiggy
03-04-2013, 07:02 PM
Enough watching The Wire for you.

Or Biggest Loser!

denverYooper
03-12-2013, 12:32 PM
Silverstein is reporting that the Packers have reduced Jolly's salary (https://twitter.com/TomSilverstein/status/311527573278576640):

The #Packers have officially reduced DE Johnny Jolly's salary to $715,000, knocking $1.8 million off the cap and putting them at $18M under.

So it seems they're going to check him out.

pbmax
03-12-2013, 12:39 PM
Silverstein is reporting that the Packers have reduced Jolly's salary (https://twitter.com/TomSilverstein/status/311527573278576640):

So it seems they're going to check him out.

Welcome back to the NFL Johnny. Start out with some fabulous offseason work and OTAs! Actually, probably best place for him.

I wish him well.

Patler
03-12-2013, 12:45 PM
It was said before that he was a very intense player, in practice and in games. He could be even more intense this year. Could be good for both the player and the team.

pittstang5
03-12-2013, 12:54 PM
I'd really love to know what kind of shape he's in. I haven't seen or heard anything since he was suspended. If he's at least stayed in shape, he's got a chance. With all that went down, I'd bet he went through depression, sat around and did nothing. He's probably 30 lbs heavier than his playing weight. I hope I'm wrong.

3irty1
03-12-2013, 01:21 PM
He must have at least passed the eyeball test if they are keeping him on. Good news.

ThunderDan
03-12-2013, 02:12 PM
He must have at least passed the eyeball test if they are keeping him on. Good news.

Johnny Jolly still has two eyes after being in prison. Let's bring him into camp.

:taunt:

Freak Out
04-17-2013, 06:34 PM
Sounds like he will show up for work soon.

http://www.jsonline.com/sports/packers/johnny-jolly-expected-at-workouts-soon-eq9j458-203325541.html

Carolina_Packer
04-17-2013, 07:36 PM
Good luck Johnny Jolly. We're all pulling for you. I agree that he could add some nice depth if he can get back to 80% of what he was. Best case scenario, he's ripped beyond belief and is on a mission, but this is not the Natural. I hope he's free and clear of his addiction. It must be it's own kind of prison.

George Cumby
04-17-2013, 08:29 PM
I am going to put on my Pollyanna hat and believe that JJ is going to unfuck his shit, kick his addiction to the curb like a $25 dollar prostitute, reinvigorate the D-line, make Ed block courage award AND the comeback player of the year whilst accumulating 10 sacks, 12 batted passes and curing testicular cancer.

Fritz
04-18-2013, 04:15 PM
I am going to put on my Pollyanna hat and believe that JJ is going to unfuck his shit, kick his addiction to the curb like a $25 dollar prostitute, reinvigorate the D-line, make Ed block courage award AND the comeback player of the year whilst accumulating 10 sacks, 12 batted passes and curing testicular cancer.

Now goddammit that's the offseason attitude I like to see. If you can't be upbeat in the offseason just before the draft, when can you be???

One suggestion: don't put JJ in the same sentence with words like "addiction," "prostitute," and "testicular" (unless you're going to put "fortitude" after it)!

Cheesehead Craig
04-18-2013, 04:17 PM

Happy to see you drinking the Purple Drank on JJ!

Fritz
04-18-2013, 04:20 PM
You guys are jinxing him.

He's clean, he's mean, he's a football machine.

Automatic. Systematic. Full of color. Self contained.

Now tune that shadow to your vibes.

George Cumby
04-18-2013, 07:51 PM
Now goddammit that's the offseason attitude I like to see. If you can't be upbeat in the offseason just before the draft, when can you be???

One suggestion: don't put JJ in the same sentence with words like "addiction," "prostitute," and "testicular" (unless you're going to put "fortitude" after it)!

Point well taken : )

Willard
04-20-2013, 09:51 AM
Dammit. Is Jolly still stuck in TX? Get this legal crap resolved and get this dude into the Lambeau weight room. I really want to see what JJ's got left in the tank. He was great in '09. The unexpected departures of JJ and Nick Collins in the prime of their careers is one of the most frustrating things this Packer fan has endured in the last few years (along with 2 NYG playoff games I attended). I would love to see JJ swatting down Russell Wilson passes in the playoffs this season! But he is going to need a lot of help. FREE JOHNNY JOLLY and get him to GB NOW!!!

wist43
04-20-2013, 01:07 PM
I'd feel a lot better about our DL if Jolly came back something close to what he was. He's been through a lot though, it's had to have taken on toll on him.

I hope he can pull down some decent checks before his body gives out... hopefully give him enough money to help transition him to work-a-day life.