PDA

View Full Version : How will Tom Bradys new contract affect Aaron Rodgers contract thinking?

woodbuck27
02-27-2013, 11:45 PM
Potential Impacts of Tom Brady's New Contract on Aaron Rodgers' Next One

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/1547294-green-bay-packers-why-the-packers-should-bring-back-johnny-jolly#/articles/1544648-potential-impacts-of-tom-bradys-new-contract-on-aaron-rodgers-next-one

" Of course it impacts a little since both are considered among the best—top two or three depending on who you ask—so there are few players you can compare them to.

However, despite the fact that they're in the same "class," a better indication of any new Rodgers contract will be Joe Flacco's deal. Flacco is a younger, up-and-coming signal-caller coming off a Super Bowl win.

You know where it will impact Rodgers?

Public perception. "

GO PACKERS !

Smeefers
02-28-2013, 08:25 AM
It's not going to affect Rodgers at all. You know what's going to affect Rodgers? Drew Brees getting a 5 year 100 Mil contract. 20 mil a year is now the bar. That's why the pack is clearing cap room like crazy.

woodbuck27
02-28-2013, 12:53 PM
It's not going to affect Rodgers at all. You know what's going to affect Rodgers? Drew Brees getting a 5 year 100 Mil contract. 20 mil a year is now the bar. That's why the pack is clearing cap room like crazy.

We have to see how the dust settles in terms of our passing game and the final status of GJ and JF. If TT lets these two walk he'll be able to reward AR as he's deserving. As the best QB in the NFL. I do believe that the final structure of AR's contract may well be influenced by Tom Brady's contract.

PACKERS !

pbmax
02-28-2013, 02:06 PM
The influence will be how much of it the Packers might be willing to guarantee. The more guaranteed money, the lower the cap numbers.

But he is not going to get less than Brees in the next 3 years I reckon.

woodbuck27
03-01-2013, 12:06 PM
The influence will be how much of it the Packers might be willing to guarantee. The more guaranteed money, the lower the cap numbers.

But he is not going to get less than Brees in the next 3 years I reckon.

The skinny on it will be that Aaron Rodgers gets a huge deal. I do believe that deal will assist Ted Thompson's CAP management issues over the first two or three seasons after it's signed.

PACKERS !

Joemailman
03-01-2013, 06:19 PM

Yeah, that deal sent the price for keeping a top QB through the roof at a time when the salary cap isn't going up much. A lot of teams are going to have to cut corners elsewhere to keep their elite QB. If you have an elite QB, you have to do it. You just have to be right about it, or you end up like the Jets or Bears, paying big money to a mediocre guy.

pbmax
03-01-2013, 06:59 PM
Ravens have agreed in principle to Flacco's numbers, according to his agent. Adam "Shanahan" Schefter reports it "should" make Flacco the highest paid QB in the game. Lot of wiggle room there.

First:
Jay Glazer ‏@JayGlazer
Again, Super Bowl MVP Joe Flacco has agreed to terms on a new deal with the Ravens. He will sign it Monday. Waiting on terms

2 hrs Jay Glazer ‏@JayGlazer
Ravens have agreed to a new contract with QB Joe Flacco. He will sign it on Monday

Highest Paid:
Adam Schefter ‏@AdamSchefter
Ravens and Super Bowl MVP Joe Flacco have agreed to deal, as @JayGlazer reported. Expected to make Flacco highest-paid QB in NFL history.

Confirmation:
http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2013/03/01/linta-confirms-flacco-agreement-in-principle/

Guiness
03-02-2013, 12:35 PM
I think the Flacco deal is going to be worse for the Packers.

Brady is Brady, and the discussion would go something like "he got that much, so should I".

I know envision the conversation being "I'm twice as good as that doofus, I should be paid twice as much!!!!"

woodbuck27
03-02-2013, 12:59 PM

Brady is Brady, and the discussion would go something like "he got that much, so should I".

I know envision the conversation being "I'm twice as good as that doofus, I should be paid twice as much!!!!"

Hi Guiness:

The Ravens certainly didn't do NFL GM's any favors with that contract score for Joe Flacco. I have confidence that TT will get it all in proper perspective.

Guiness
03-02-2013, 02:27 PM
Hi Guiness:

The Ravens certainly didn't do NFL GM's any favors with that contract score for Joe Flacco. I have confidence that TT will get it all in proper perspective.

I have confidence TT will attempt to put it in perspective. I have less confidence Rodgers and his agent will be willing to accept that perspective. This has nothing to do with Rodgers himself, more to do with a business trying to maximize their profits. You hear football players saying all the time that it's a business, and they understand it. That door swings both ways.

MJZiggy
03-02-2013, 06:18 PM

Problem is, the doofus JUST won the Super Bowl. He has a bit of bargaining power right now that got him a sweet deal. He's been around here a few years and he's not hated.

Guiness
03-02-2013, 06:45 PM
Problem is, the doofus JUST won the Super Bowl. He has a bit of bargaining power right now that got him a sweet deal. He's been around here a few years and he's not hated.

Yup, that was part of my point in the other thread - Flacco had a ridiculous amount of leverage as an UFA, reigning SB MVP and under 30 years old.

Fritz
03-03-2013, 01:06 PM
This is where I like Ted's M.O. He seems to want to frontload contracts as much as he can so that he doesn't have to pay an aging and less effective vet an exorbitant amount of money. If he can get Rodgers and Matthews to line up contracts this way - and why wouldn't they want more up front? - then he might be able to afford Raji, too, if Raji wants to stay. And to me, that's a big if. I hope I'm wrong, though, on that one.

It's Flacco's contract that is going to mess Ted up - Rodgers is better that Flacco, to me. Far better.

Guiness
03-03-2013, 06:12 PM
On the issue of Brady, have details of his contract come to light? Reports are that he got a lot of money up front, in the order of $30million, but that the deal averages about $15million/year, which is a lot less than the $20million that seems to be the norm for a top QB in the league right now. The extension for for three more years and $27 million, with the cap number being very close to $15million each year of the deal.

Fritz
03-04-2013, 05:59 AM
That sounds like the kind of contract Ted might negotiate.

pbmax
03-04-2013, 08:43 AM
I don't think anyone has the full deal yet, but NFL.com's guy Jason LaCanfora had this:

Jason Wilde ‏@jasonjwilde
Hope he'll be able to make ends meet. MT @JasonLaCanfora: Few more details on Flacco deal: $52M guaranteed, $29M to sign, $51M in 1st 2 yrs.

That's nearly half the contract guaranteed.

Guiness
03-04-2013, 11:05 AM
I don't think anyone has the full deal yet, but NFL.com's guy Jason LaCanfora had this:

Jason Wilde ‏@jasonjwilde
Hope he'll be able to make ends meet. MT @JasonLaCanfora: Few more details on Flacco deal: $52M guaranteed, $29M to sign, $51M in 1st 2 yrs.

That's nearly half the contract guaranteed.

Somewhere, Arod is going "damn! That's what I'm talking about!" I just hope it's Alex Rodriguez doing that.

pbmax
03-04-2013, 12:37 PM
Somewhere, Arod is going "damn! That's what I'm talking about!" I just hope it's Alex Rodriguez doing that.

Should probably say that the $52 mil guaranteed is still agent speak. So it probably includes ANY money that could be considered guaranteed in any way. So not only the $29 mil signing bonus, but also any salary that could be guaranteed in the future by meeting certain benchmarks and money that might be guaranteed for injury only.

In the NFL contact world of lawyers, hair-splitters and violators of the English language, there are approximately 37 variations of "guaranteed". Its like the Eskimo words for different types of snow.

3irty1
03-04-2013, 12:45 PM
I'm just going to assume this is really a 3 year 40 M deal.

pbmax
03-04-2013, 12:58 PM
I'm just going to assume this is really a 3 year 40 M deal.

The two year number has been reported pretty consistently as $51 mil in cash and nowhere has the guaranteed money been less than $41 million. So I think its safe, if not accurate, to assume its at LEAST 2 years and $41+ mil.

Fritz
03-04-2013, 01:46 PM
Wow. For that money he could buy a few offensive linemen.

pbmax
03-05-2013, 09:43 AM
Florio thinks Flacco's deal is for 3 years effectively because the 2015 (maybe 2016? because that would be the fourth year) cap number is close to $29 million.

Guiness
03-05-2013, 10:58 AM
Brees has a hit of $26.4 and $27.4 million in 2015 and 2016, so is it outlandish or the new and improved price for an elite QB?

Patler
03-05-2013, 11:03 AM
It is going to be very interesting to see how his contracts and career play out. It is unusual for a 5 year QB to get the biggest deal in the league. Generally there is an extension or shorter term contract bridging their rookie contract and their blockbuster deal, which usually comes when they are about 30. Flacco got to this point quite young. It could put a lot of pressure on the Ravens cap four years from now, but if the salary cap goes up as much as a few think it might in three years, the cap hit might be tolerable.

Or maybe in 3-4 years they enter into a 6 or 7 year extension to take him through the end of his career, most likely guaranteeing what was left on the contract signed this year.

This could go a lot of different ways down the road.

pbmax
03-05-2013, 11:26 AM
Brees has a hit of $26.4 and $27.4 million in 2015 and 2016, so is it outlandish or the new and improved price for an elite QB?

Depends on the cap. Everyone, including myself, thought it was going to skyrocket in 14 or 15 after the new League TV deals came online. But apparently the NFLPA and NFL wanted a smoother arc to increases to avoid immediately making everyone else's deals obsolete in one offseason. Robert Kraft has warned that it isn't going to go up as much as people are guessing. But it might still accommodate that cap number.

pbmax
03-05-2013, 11:28 AM
It is going to be very interesting to see how his contracts and career play out. It is unusual for a 5 year QB to get the biggest deal in the league. Generally there is an extension or shorter term contract bridging their rookie contract and their blockbuster deal, which usually comes when they are about 30. Flacco got to this point quite young. It could put a lot of pressure on the Ravens cap four years from now, but if the salary cap goes up as much as a few think it might in three years, the cap hit might be tolerable.

Or maybe in 3-4 years they enter into a 6 or 7 year extension to take him through the end of his career, most likely guaranteeing what was left on the contract signed this year.

This could go a lot of different ways down the road.

Ryan and Romo will be a good test of this. Ryan will be moving to his second contract and have no Super Bowl appearances, much less a win. Romo will be on big long term contract 2 (probably his 3rd overall since being undrafted) with no Super Bowl experience.

Guiness
03-05-2013, 07:01 PM
Florio thinks Flacco's deal is for 3 years effectively because the 2015 (maybe 2016? because that would be the fourth year) cap number is close to $29 million.

It seems that way. Reasonable cap hits for the next three years (6.8, 14.8, 14.6) but then takes a big jump to $28.6. Renegotiation likely in 2016, but it will be tough for the Ravens. The bonuses he'll have already received will be counting for $10million/year at that point.

Still, it's not unworkable.

packrulz
03-06-2013, 04:59 AM
ARod won't hold out: http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/blog/mike-freeman/21817077/rodgers-doesnt-plan-on-holding-out-if-new-deal-isnt-reached

swede
03-06-2013, 11:33 AM
Funny how sportwriters call it an mvp caliber season when they don't vote for him as mvp.

woodbuck27
03-06-2013, 12:06 PM
Funny how sportwriters call it an mvp caliber season when they don't vote for him as mvp.

NFL QB's need not of applied for the NFL MVP this past season.

A RB named Adrian Peterson put up a rare performance and was just too good. Realistically the NFL MVP for the 2012 season.