PDA

View Full Version : Announcement: The Ravens Joe Flacco becomes NFL's Highest Paid QB

woodbuck27
03-01-2013, 06:57 PM
http://www.rantsports.com/nfl/2013/03/01/baltimore-ravens-make-wrong-move-by-making-joe-flacco-leagues-highest-paid-qb/

Baltimore Ravens Make Wrong Move By Making Joe Flacco League’s Highest-Paid QB

46 mins ago... March 01,2013 by Dan Parzych

" There’s no question Flacco has pulled off some impressive statistics throughout his career and been phenomenal with helping Baltimore in the postseason. However, only time will tell before Baltimore determines whether or not making Flacco the league’s highest-paid quarterback was the right move. " See LINK

More on this contract later.

pbmax
03-01-2013, 07:13 PM
Adam Schefter says: its for 6 years and $120 mil

Lots of details yet to be revealed: http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2013/03/01/report-flaccos-deal-is-worth-more-than-120-million-over-six-years/

woodbuck27
03-01-2013, 07:16 PM
Friday March 01,2013 @ 8:17 ET

Here's more unofficial news on the value of Joe Flacco's contract extension that reportedly makes him the NFL's highest paid QB in excess of $20 million$ per over 6 seasons.

" According to ESPN's Adam Schefter, Flacco's deal is worth in excess of $120 million over six seasons, will make him the highest-paid quarterback in NFL history. Flacco earned $6.76 million in base salary in 2012, the final season of a rookie contract that paid out $23,805,590 over the last five seasons. " LINK

http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/nfl-shutdown-corner/ravens-joe-flacco-agree-terms-contract-extension-001509370--nfl.html

woodbuck27
03-01-2013, 07:23 PM
Adam Schefter says: its for 6 years and $120 mil

Lots of details yet to be revealed: http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2013/03/01/report-flaccos-deal-is-worth-more-than-120-million-over-six-years/

Just discovered your post pbmax. Looking at the numbers from that PFT.Com LINK = WOW !

So much money for one mere man.

pbmax
03-01-2013, 07:25 PM
Yep, Schefter now says 6 years, $120.6 million

Adam Schefter ‏@AdamSchefter
To be precise, Joe Flacco's deal with Ravens will clock in at six years and $120.6 million, a bit more than Drew Brees' in almost every way.

red
03-01-2013, 08:11 PM
this really sucks for us

we have one of the top 3 qb's in the nfl, an elite qb

an above average QB just got 120 over 6 years. flacco isn't a top 10 qb, maybe not even top 15

we're fucked, a-rod is gonna need more then that

back to how stupid this move is for the ravens. flacco isn't even the most important player on that team. they didn't win the super bowl because of joe flacco, they won because their team all around was good and their defense was elite as usual

they just ruined that team for the future

woodbuck27
03-01-2013, 08:34 PM
this really sucks for us

we have one of the top 3 qb's in the nfl, an elite qb

an above average QB just got 120 over 6 years. flacco isn't a top 10 qb, maybe not even top 15

we're fucked, a-rod is gonna need more then that

back to how stupid this move is for the ravens. flacco isn't even the most important player on that team. they didn't win the super bowl because of joe flacco, they won because their team all around was good and their defense was elite as usual

they just ruined that team for the future

Hi red:

I agree that this extention for Flacco was premature. Better to franchise him this season and see how he plays coming off what many will call a surprizing Super Bowl win for the Ravens.

In terms of Aaron Rodgers and the rumour of an impending contract extension. I doubt that Ted Thompson will sell the Green Bay Packers future to Aaron Rodgers. I believe that Aaron Rodgers will accept a reasonable contract without an emphasis on selfishness. That 'only' all makes common and decent sense.

GO PACKERS !

Tony Oday
03-01-2013, 10:42 PM
Flacco is not elite or good. This is a TERRIBLE contract. Ravens will suck for years now.

Guiness
03-02-2013, 12:18 PM
The problem for the Ravens came from the fact that he made some pretty incredible plays this post-season - capped by the SB MVP (which IMO should've gone to Jacoby Jones) as he hit free agency. His leverage was incredible.

The only saving grace for Baltimore might be that it's a long contract, 6 years, and the cap could go up to make it a reasonable amount for a good QB. If not, I agree that Baltimore invested their money on the wrong side of the ball, the true talent of that team plays defense. With Lewis retiring, and Reed likely having one more year, I expect a big falloff from that team.

woodbuck27
03-02-2013, 01:02 PM
The problem for the Ravens came from the fact that he made some pretty incredible plays this post-season - capped by the SB MVP (which IMO should've gone to Jacoby Jones) as he hit free agency. His leverage was incredible.

The only saving grace for Baltimore might be that it's a long contract, 6 years, and the cap could go up to make it a reasonable amount for a good QB. If not, I agree that Baltimore invested their money on the wrong side of the ball, the true talent of that team plays defense. With Lewis retiring, and Reed likely having one more year, I expect a big falloff from that team.

Some people....more money than brains. I'm not referring to Joe Flacco.

red
03-02-2013, 04:51 PM

if i was baltimore i let him walk, he's not a franchise QB imo, and he sure as hell isn't worth 1/6th of your cap

hell let flacco walk and send your 2nd round pick to san fran for alex smith. you get almost the same QB, at half the price

pbmax
03-02-2013, 05:19 PM
if i was baltimore i let him walk, he's not a franchise QB imo, and he sure as hell isn't worth 1/6th of your cap

hell let flacco walk and send your 2nd round pick to san fran for alex smith. you get almost the same QB, at half the price

I am not a big Flacco fan, but that's a bit unfair. It took a League-best defense and running game to prop Smith up to good. And there are still doubts he can throw deep, and that is Flacco's specialty. Smith struggled with subpar talent, but he did struggle. Flacco delivered a lot more early while his offense was retooled every year as well. And Boldin, Pitta and Torrey Smith aren't exactly Rice, Jones and John Taylor.

A bigger question is how much of the 6/120 is guaranteed and paid in the first 3 years. That will tell us how much its going to cost to keep Rodgers.

Guiness
03-02-2013, 06:54 PM
A bigger question is how much of the 6/120 is guaranteed and paid in the first 3 years. That will tell us how much its going to cost to keep Rodgers.

I don't know about guaranteed, but reports have Flacco making $62 million over the first three years. I'd say that's pretty close to guaranteed, because I don't see them letting him go before then.

Scary though is that he'll only count $7million against the cap in 2013. There's a monster hit somewhere in that contact. Although his contract averages more than Brees (something he supposedly insisted on) he fell short of collecting the $40million Brees did in year 1.

Cheesehead Craig
03-02-2013, 07:24 PM
Not a Flacco fan. Has had a very good supporting cast for a long time and finally did something with it. Before this season the quote "Never has so little been done with so much" applied to him. But as red said, he had an elite defense around to back him up.

red
03-02-2013, 08:46 PM
and lets not forget, he also has the advantage of having, what, maybe the second best running back in the game right now?

ray rice is more valuable to that offense then flacco is IMO

smuggler
03-02-2013, 09:41 PM
Hes not great or Elite. but I think you guys are selling him a bit short. this guy is 1 of those players that is a solid addition to your team the price is wrong but the player is right

Joemailman
03-02-2013, 10:35 PM
and lets not forget, he also has the advantage of having, what, maybe the second best running back in the game right now?

Flacco carried that team to a Super Bowl win. In 4 postseason games, he threw for over 1100 yards with 10 TD's and 0 INT's. Rice only had 1 big game in the 4. As for the Ravens defense, they're still pretty good, but not elite. Twice in the postseason, they gave up over 30 points. Flacco is now probably overpaid, but he is the key to that team and the biggest reason they are Super Bowl champs.

Fritz
03-03-2013, 08:53 AM
Flacco carried that team to a Super Bowl win. In 4 postseason games, he threw for over 1100 yards with 10 TD's and 0 INT's. Rice only had 1 big game in the 4. As for the Ravens defense, they're still pretty good, but not elite. Twice in the postseason, they gave up over 30 points. Flacco is now probably overpaid, but he is the key to that team and the biggest reason they are Super Bowl champs.

With even good quarterbacks costingan arm nd a leg, I wonder if some gm will try to build a team with better and thus higher-paid talent at a variety of positions whilehaving an average QB.

Joemailman
03-03-2013, 09:10 AM
With even good quarterbacks costingan arm nd a leg, I wonder if some gm will try to build a team with better and thus higher-paid talent at a variety of positions whilehaving an average QB.

Possible, but the 49ers apparently decided that wouldn't work. I think the days of winning a Super Bowl with Trent Dilfer or Brad Johnson at QB, while relying on defense/running game are probably over.

Patler
03-03-2013, 09:17 AM

Agree. Now the question is this, has Flacco ascended to a new level of performance, or did he just hit an unbelievable hot streak at the right time? The answer will determine if the Ravens made a good deal or not.

MJZiggy
03-03-2013, 10:22 AM
Agree. Now the question is this, has Flacco ascended to a new level of performance, or did he just hit an unbelievable hot streak at the right time? The answer will determine if the Ravens made a good deal or not.

I am waiting to see what happens to that team with Ray Lewis gone. He was a cornerstone of the defense and a cheerleader on both sides of the ball. They will need a new firebrand and it's already established that Flacco ain't gonna bit it. They'll need someone to step up.

pbmax
03-03-2013, 10:53 AM

But that argument also cuts against Smith. San Fran spent Smith's career trying to run Gore into the ground to get their offense to work.

Baltimore keeps forgetting they have Rice for long stretches.

pbmax
03-03-2013, 10:56 AM

That's why the Read Option in terms of running the QB, is not going anywhere but also will not be used exclusively like it can be in college. I think the 49ers are going to draft another guy like CK for backup this season. They won't be prolific passers and the hope would be they will be cheaper to have a hoard on hand.

Patler
03-03-2013, 11:05 AM
I am waiting to see what happens to that team with Ray Lewis gone. He was a cornerstone of the defense and a cheerleader on both sides of the ball. They will need a new firebrand and it's already established that Flacco ain't gonna bit it. They'll need someone to step up.

You have that right. Lewis created their identity. Will they know what they are without him to lead them?

Fritz
03-03-2013, 01:00 PM
Ravens locker room next season, before a game:

Joe Flacco: "Who are we? I don't think we're tailors, are we?"

Paul Kreuger: "No, I don't think so. And we're not dressed like farmers, either."

Ray Rice: "Maybe we're an IT department?"

Without Lewis, how will they know who they are?

MJZiggy
03-03-2013, 02:55 PM
Ravens locker room next season, before a game:

Joe Flacco: "Who are we? I don't think we're tailors, are we?"

Paul Kreuger: "No, I don't think so. And we're not dressed like farmers, either."

Ray Rice: "Maybe we're an IT department?"

Without Lewis, how will they know who they are?

Maybe he can call them on game day and they can put him on speakerphone so he can yell...

Cheesehead Craig
03-03-2013, 03:40 PM
My point was that Flacco took a long time to play how he did given the tools around him. As Patler said, was it him actually ascending to his long throught level or did he just get hot? We'll find out.

However, with Lewis gone and possibly Reed the defense is going to suffer a bit. On offense I am intrigued by how their OL is going to survive C Matt Birk retiring. When they had the big OL shuffle, he was the reason that line performed as well as it did. It was said that he got everyone on the same page and made all the right calls. We saw last year what happens when your C play drops off. I have a feeling the Ravens have a greater chance than normal of the SB winner dropoff that seems to happen with these 2 (possibly 3) players leaving.

MJZiggy
03-03-2013, 04:26 PM
It just dawned on me that Drew Brees has to be steaming mad...

Guiness
03-03-2013, 05:29 PM
He did have an incredible run through these playoffs, you can't discount his numbers. They surprise me in that he was never spectacular, so where did it come from?

When the Giants won the SB in 2007, we all thought it was lightening in a bottle. Then they did it again four years later. It that what Baltimore will do, or will they be more St-L Ram like?

MJZiggy
03-03-2013, 05:52 PM
I dunno, they've been pretty good for a decent stretch of time. They just need to keep it going...

Guiness
03-04-2013, 05:13 PM
Flacco's arrogance seems to know no bounds

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2013/03/04/joe-flacco-i-didnt-sign-last-year-because-i-thought-i-was-worth-more/

“I thought I was worth more and I didn’t see any circumstances where I wouldn’t get paid more than what they were willing to give me at that point,” Flacco said.

Um, what about a career ending injury? It's not like Baltimore disrespected him with a lowball offer. Oh wait a minute...
"http://www.csnbaltimore.com/video_content_type/flacco-it-was-all-about-respect"
From the clip

The priority of mine was to get that respect that I felt...that I feel now, from this organization
Wow do I hate the word 'respect' when athletes use it in reference to their contracts

Fritz
03-04-2013, 06:32 PM
We live in a world that encourages people to measure respect by one's income.

pbmax
03-04-2013, 06:50 PM
Flacco's arrogance seems to know no bounds

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2013/03/04/joe-flacco-i-didnt-sign-last-year-because-i-thought-i-was-worth-more/

Um, what about a career ending injury? It's not like Baltimore disrespected him with a lowball offer. Oh wait a minute...
"http://www.csnbaltimore.com/video_content_type/flacco-it-was-all-about-respect"
From the clip

Wow do I hate the word 'respect' when athletes use it in reference to their contracts

When you see it, substitute the word compensation or CASH! and it makes more sense.

Cheesehead Craig
03-04-2013, 07:01 PM
I think we all need more respect from Mad.

red
03-05-2013, 08:34 PM
a lot of pundits are saying a-rod is the next to get a deal

however.

theres three guys that have one year left on their contracts that will be getting new deals this next year matt ryan, mathew stafford, and tony romo.

you could make the case that all three of those guys are better QB's then joe flacco is, so all three of them might/should sign bigger deals then the flacco one

if a-rod should make more then all three of those guys. if he signs now, one of those other clowns will just beat the mark he set. however, if he holds off until next year HE will be the one setting the new benchmark.

in short, a-rod would make more money by waiting another year

question. can the packers just throw an extra few million at him in a bonus without giving him a new deal?

Old School
03-06-2013, 04:33 PM
Will the salaries demanded by QB's be the demise of good football? Take a 20mil+QB. Add in a couple offensive playmakers at 10,and a CMIII LB and a shutdown corner at 10 each. Now you have 5 players at 60mil eating up 1/2 the salary cap. So 48 other fools have to be happy splitting the rest? That should make for a congenial locker room.

You can tell me I'd be the same,but I'd like to think I would be happy to be a top QB at 10mil (even that seems obscene) You can stick respect, swagger, and the rest of the self aggrandizing drivel where the sun don't shine.That leaves enough cap room for a couple all pro tackles to protect my sorry behind, and enough left over for other players who could make a Super Bowl run realistic.

After all, there are only a couple months of off season to burn thru multiple millions. Am I missing something?

woodbuck27
03-06-2013, 05:10 PM
a lot of pundits are saying a-rod is the next to get a deal

however.

theres three guys that have one year left on their contracts that will be getting new deals this next year matt ryan, mathew stafford, and tony romo.

you could make the case that all three of those guys are better QB's then joe flacco is, so all three of them might/should sign bigger deals then the flacco one

if a-rod should make more then all three of those guys. if he signs now, one of those other clowns will just beat the mark he set. however, if he holds off until next year HE will be the one setting the new benchmark.

in short, a-rod would make more money by waiting another year

question. can the packers just throw an extra few million at him in a bonus without giving him a new deal?

You make a strong point red.

I believe it will be in the best interest of Aaron Rodgers to wait till the other QB contracts come in (Ryan, Stafford and Romo) before he gets down to establishing what he's worth. Next season should be a year to allow TT and the team time to see where they really are.

GO PACKERS !

Guiness
03-06-2013, 05:40 PM
Will the salaries demanded by QB's be the demise of good football? Take a 20mil+QB. Add in a couple offensive playmakers at 10,and a CMIII LB and a shutdown corner at 10 each. Now you have 5 players at 60mil eating up 1/2 the salary cap. So 48 other fools have to be happy splitting the rest? That should make for a congenial locker room.

You can tell me I'd be the same,but I'd like to think I would be happy to be a top QB at 10mil (even that seems obscene) You can stick respect, swagger, and the rest of the self aggrandizing drivel where the sun don't shine.That leaves enough cap room for a couple all pro tackles to protect my sorry behind, and enough left over for other players who could make a Super Bowl run realistic.

After all, there are only a couple months of off season to burn thru multiple millions. Am I missing something?

You state a point I've pondered myself. Brady's contract makes it all the more interesting, especially if NE wins a SB in the near future.

Five guys making $60million and 50 others making the other $60million just doesn't seem logical. Is sabermetrics going to come to the NFL or will it not work because of how important the QB is?

edit: interesting, right after making this post, I went to PFT where there's an article about the Broncos asking Dumervil to take a pay cut, they could lose him because of that. If Peyton was making what he is, would they need to risk asking a top shelf passer rusher to play for less money?

pbmax
03-06-2013, 06:15 PM

That's what they said about Manning's contract about 3 years before he won his Super Bowl. It could be an issue, but there are so many other moving parts (age of team, number of min vets, etc) that I am not sure its determinative.

I would expect teams with low to medium costs at QB to be far worse teams. It would be worth a look.

red
03-06-2013, 06:21 PM
i'll say one other thing

i'm gonna feel a whole hell of a lot better paying a-rod 20+ million a year then i would be paying flacco that much

Old School
03-06-2013, 08:11 PM
When a team like Baltimore overpays a QB in an attempt to create the illusion that he is among the elite QB's in the league, what does that do to the price of an actually elite QB? What if they had paid him 25mil?

Guiness
03-07-2013, 02:58 PM
Well shoot, Vince Young is saying he`s better than "a lot of, most quarterbacks in the league"
http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/blog/eye-on-football/21825929/vince-young-still-feels-like-he-can-do-better-job-than-most-qbs-in-nfl

The Ravens could've saved themselves a boatload of money, I be he'd sign for cheaper than Flacco did! :smile:

woodbuck27
03-07-2013, 03:26 PM
When a team like Baltimore overpays a QB in an attempt to create the illusion that he is among the elite QB's in the league, what does that do to the price of an actually elite QB? What if they had paid him 25mil?

Take that thought and look at the facts:

Fr: http://www.greenbaypressgazette.com/article/20130305/PKR01/303050384/Report-Packers-offer-Rodgers-lucrative-contract-soon

Report: Packers to offer Rodgers lucrative contract soon ... Mar 5, 2013

Rodgers and Flacco have started five seasons in the NFL, with 'Rodgers holding a commanding edge' in career statistics.

Rodgers has a 104.9 career passer rating with 171 touchdown passes and 46 interceptions and has thrown for 21,661 yards.

Flacco has an 86.3 career passer rating with 102 touchdown passes and 56 interceptions and has thrown for 17,663 yards.

Rodgers led the Packers to a Super Bowl title two years ago and was named the game’s MVP. He followed that up by winning the league MVP award in 2011 when he threw 45 touchdown passes and just six interceptions and set the single-season NFL passer rating record of 122.5.

Last season Rodgers threw 39 touchdown passes with eight interceptions and led the NFL again in passer rating at 108.0.

GO PACK GO!

Old School
03-07-2013, 04:16 PM
Another factor that may impact the ability of a team to sign a free agent top player is taxes as pointed out in this article.
http://www.foxnews.com/sports/2013/03/07/tax-bite-sacks-flacco-status-as-nfl-highest-paid-player-status/

The difference in the tax burden from one state to another can be many 100's of thousands of dollars. A team could offer less money and the player could still come out ahead.

Guiness
03-10-2013, 03:36 PM
Now Flacco thinks Boldin should not accept a pay cut. Lol, does this guy understand accounting at the very lowest levels? That there's a cap? That him signing for $20mil + year is the reason the Ravens CAN'T pay him that money and hope to field a competitive NFL team, i.e. not have guys making the NFL vet minimum at just about every other position?

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2013/03/10/flacco-says-boldin-should-stick-to-his-guns/

Joemailman
03-10-2013, 04:06 PM
Now Flacco thinks Boldin should not accept a pay cut. Lol, does this guy understand accounting at the very lowest levels? That there's a cap? That him signing for $20mil + year is the reason the Ravens CAN'T pay him that money and hope to field a competitive NFL team, i.e. not have guys making the NFL vet minimum at just about every other position?

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2013/03/10/flacco-says-boldin-should-stick-to-his-guns/

He should have just declined comment. After all, he would have looked even worse if he had said Boldin should take a pay cut after he just signed a contract for 20 mil per year.

pbmax
03-10-2013, 07:00 PM

He should have just declined comment. After all, he would have looked even worse if he had said Boldin should take a pay cut after he just signed a contract for 20 mil per year.

Even better if the team had been prepared for this scenario before signing Flacco instead of clearing space AFTER signing him.