PDA

View Full Version : Would you pay to attend the combine? The NFL wants to know (shocking...)

Guiness
03-04-2013, 11:44 AM
Seems the NFL is tossing around the idea of charging fans to attend the combine.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2013/03/04/nfl-wants-to-know-if-fans-will-pay-25-to-attend-the-combine/

I'm so far from surprised about this, it's not even funny! I think I'm more surprised that they weren't charging already, and selling those basketball inspired outfits!

http://www.dallasnews.com/incoming/20130225-20130223_jrc_ss1_223_29802813.jpg.ece/BINARY/w620x413/20130223_JRC_SS1_223_29802813.JPG
Don't know if it reminds me more of this

http://blog.stack.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/02/adidas_NCAA-Uniforms-629x449.jpg

or this!

http://cdn.breitbart.com/mediaserver/Breitbart/Breitbart-Sports/2013/02/22/Warriors%20jersey%20AP.jpg

Either way, OL running around in spandex is and AWESOME idea. I bet they were all elated about it :smile:
On the other hand, I couldn't find an photos resembling Andre Smith's 40, so maybe there's good reason for them.

Patler
03-04-2013, 12:00 PM
I think anyone who would pay to attend the combine is a little crazy.
That said, I won't be surprised if they fill the stadium.

Tony Oday
03-04-2013, 12:18 PM
Honestly I am getting sick of the NFL. I am a huge fan but it used to be the offseason we would at least get a bit of a break now it is 24/7.

Patler
03-04-2013, 12:57 PM
Honestly I am getting sick of the NFL. I am a huge fan but it used to be the offseason we would at least get a bit of a break now it is 24/7.

Believe it or not, the draft was held during the season in the 1960's; usually toward the end of November. The New Years Bowl game broadcasts would discuss what teams had drafted the seniors.

When the combined draft was started with the AFL, it was held just a week or two after the Super Bowl. Still wasn't a big deal. We didn't know the results generally until the next day.

Cheesehead Craig
03-04-2013, 01:34 PM
Believe it or not, the draft was held during the season in the 1960's; usually toward the end of November. The New Years Bowl game broadcasts would discuss what teams had drafted the seniors.

When the combined draft was started with the AFL, it was held just a week or two after the Super Bowl. Still wasn't a big deal. We didn't know the results generally until the next day.

Yeah, back in Patler's day those college players had to run uphill, through the snow. They had to pull plows behind them too that way they would actually be doing an honest day's work. Also they would have the running through a wall drill and none of those dancing around, mamby-pamby, agility drills. They were real men in those days and were tougher too. Plus, they had the hay bale throwing drill as that was real work. Juggs machines? Ha! They would carry 20 gallon jugs full of milk while running 100 yards through the mud. Those were real tests of how much of an athlete you were. Just as Patler, he'll tell you how much better those good old days were.

Fritz
03-04-2013, 01:45 PM
Yeah, back in Patler's day those college players had to run uphill, through the snow. They had to pull plows behind them too that way they would actually be doing an honest day's work. Also they would have the running through a wall drill and none of those dancing around, mamby-pamby, agility drills. They were real men in those days and were tougher too. Plus, they had the hay bale throwing drill as that was real work. Juggs machines? Ha! They would carry 20 gallon jugs full of milk while running 100 yards through the mud. Those were real tests of how much of an athlete you were. Just as Patler, he'll tell you how much better those good old days were.

He didn't say they were better, just more low-key about the draft.

Back in my day, nobody broadcast the draft. You read about it in the papers the next day. I used to clip newspaper articles out of the Detroit paper - the ones that listed who each team (for me, the Packers were the team that mattered) - and keep them so that I could pull the lists out each year and see how each team's players had or hadn't developed.

Guiness
03-04-2013, 02:15 PM
He didn't say they were better, just more low-key about the draft.

Back in my day, nobody broadcast the draft. You read about it in the papers the next day. I used to clip newspaper articles out of the Detroit paper - the ones that listed who each team (for me, the Packers were the team that mattered) - and keep them so that I could pull the lists out each year and see how each team's players had or hadn't developed.

Were the drafts held in New York back then? My fondest memories of the draft were Jets fans booing and groaning about their picks!

Tony Oday
03-04-2013, 02:40 PM
I am just saying it doesnt feel like the NFL season ever ends. I am not mad at it just feel a bit burned out as of late and that makes me mad since we actually have a good team!

Patler
03-04-2013, 02:43 PM
Honestly I am getting sick of the NFL. I am a huge fan but it used to be the offseason we would at least get a bit of a break now it is 24/7.Believe it or not, the draft was held during the season in the 1960's; usually toward the end of November. The New Years Bowl game broadcasts would discuss what teams had drafted the seniors.

When the combined draft was started with the AFL, it was held just a week or two after the Super Bowl. Still wasn't a big deal. We didn't know the results generally until the next day.Yeah, back in Patler's day those college players had to run uphill, through the snow. They had to pull plows behind them too that way they would actually be doing an honest day's work. Also they would have the running through a wall drill and none of those dancing around, mamby-pamby, agility drills. They were real men in those days and were tougher too. Plus, they had the hay bale throwing drill as that was real work. Juggs machines? Ha! They would carry 20 gallon jugs full of milk while running 100 yards through the mud. Those were real tests of how much of an athlete you were. Just as Patler, he'll tell you how much better those good old days were.

Uh...I said nothing at all about the players, good, bad or indifferent. My comment was in response to Tony, who stated that he was sick of the NFL not even having a break in the offseason. I simply pointed out that in the '60s, even the draft was held during the season, and for many years it was held just a week or two after the Super Bowl.

My point was that everything about the NFL was compressed into August through January, including the draft. Not the case now.

Guiness
03-04-2013, 03:15 PM
No comments on the spiffy combine outfits?

sharpe1027
03-04-2013, 04:34 PM
No comments on the spiffy combine outfits?

Stay on target people!

Cheesehead Craig
03-04-2013, 04:50 PM
Fritz and Patler,
It was simply a joke that apparently failed miserably. I tried doing a joke about the olden days and used Patler as a foil given he is a bit on the older side for the posters here.

sooner6600
03-04-2013, 04:52 PM
No; not for mine, even if were held in the pasture on the other side of the road.

mmmmmmm Might get better 40 times due to the copper head snakes that abound.

Patler
03-04-2013, 05:00 PM
Fritz and Patler,
It was simply a joke that apparently failed miserably. I tried doing a joke about the olden days and used Patler as a foil given he is a bit on the older side for the posters here.

That one went right over my head! Sorry! :oops: :-)

BTW - I like to consider myself "more experienced" !!! :lol:

Patler
03-04-2013, 05:02 PM
No; not for mine, even if were held in the pasture on the other side of the road.

mmmmmmm Might get better 40 times due to the copper head snakes that abound.

Ya, but my experience with pastures is that footing can be a bit "greasy"!

MadScientist
03-04-2013, 05:26 PM
If they succeed in charging for this, next will be a new first day of the combine. They will paint the shield on the field and the paying fans will get the privilege of watching the paint dry. Complete with commentators babbling about which color will dry first. Can't be much duller than the combine.

sharpe1027
03-04-2013, 05:53 PM
What I want to know is whether or not the ticket cost will include the Wonderlic test, or if they plan to charge separately for the privilege of watching players take the test.

Fritz
03-04-2013, 06:29 PM
Fritz and Patler,

No worries. I've bombed more jokes than an Islamic comic in the Catskills.

pbmax
03-04-2013, 06:44 PM

I thought she meant IUD but she actually said IED! :rs:

Hello, is this thing still on?

pbmax
03-04-2013, 06:49 PM
Were the drafts held in New York back then? My fondest memories of the draft were Jets fans booing and groaning about their picks!

Not sure when they moved to New York, though they used to be somewhere other than MSG.

Its used to be broadcast on a Tuesday I think and start at 7:00 AM Central. Pete Rozelle up front, Berman with Paul Zimmerman, Mel Kiper and Howard Balzer on the broadcast.

That was real draft watching! Watched it in the college dorms and all the folks who used to watch their stories at lunch would be stymied by the end of the 1st round. It wasn't long after that it moved to Saturday, which was ideal.

MJZiggy
03-04-2013, 07:19 PM

I KEEEELLL You!

Fritz
03-05-2013, 05:34 AM
Back to the thread....Zig, would you and your gender pay to watch these strapping young men? Maybe there are some measurements you and your gender would like to see. Maybe you could even do some color commentary and analysis.

MJZiggy
03-05-2013, 07:40 PM
Back to the thread....Zig, would you and your gender pay to watch these strapping young men? Maybe there are some measurements you and your gender would like to see. Maybe you could even do some color commentary and analysis.
I would not pay to watch these strapping young men (at least not pay to watch them run 40 and cone drills...ahem, where were we?) And if you want my color commentary and analysis, then I think the salary should be slightly more than Joe Buck...just saying.