PDA

View Full Version : DEAR TED...............FIND US A SAFETY

Bretsky
03-04-2013, 09:45 PM
http://www.jsonline.com/sports/packers/packers-safety-position-in-limbo-ea90i39-194714161.html

RashanGary
03-04-2013, 10:35 PM
http://www.jsonline.com/sports/packers/packers-safety-position-in-limbo-ea90i39-194714161.html

Tell ya what, Bretsky, if the Packers dumped #88 and brought in Gholston, I don't think any of us would have a thing to bitch about. That guy is good. I was blown away two years ago in the playoffs. I remember thinking I was watching Nick Collins all over again.

wist43
03-04-2013, 10:59 PM
Are we that bad in the back end that we need to target a Safety in the first couple of rounds??

McMillian, Burnett, and Jennings seem like a nice core to build around - they're all so young, and the defense as a whole is such a mess - that's it's next to impossible to evaluate anyone in the secondary.

Our offensive line, defensive line, and linebackers are nothing short of a disaster - would much rather throw darts at those positions in the draft - as, of course, TT will do nothing in FA.

Did see a mention in an article that the Packers had interest in Ricky Jean Francois... he'd be a nice pick up; but not holding my breath.

Joemailman
03-04-2013, 11:12 PM
I'm not ready to give up in McMillian. Still, if there's a Safety early in the draft TT really likes, I'm good with that. Jennings is not a player IMO, other than on special teams.

Goldson, by the way, was a backup to Mark Roman his first 2 years in the league, so it does take some young players time to emerge.

packrulz
03-05-2013, 04:54 AM
I agree, McMillian needs more time. I do like the DB's in this draft though, a guy like Jonathan Banks can play both CB and safety, and he returns punts:http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/draft/players/1665105/johnthan-banks
It's hard to say who will slip in this draft, T'eo, Ogletree, or Jarvis Jones could still be there when TT picks, any one of those would be tempting.

Fritz
03-05-2013, 05:24 AM
I agree, McMillian needs more time. I do like the DB's in this draft though, a guy like Jonathan Banks can play both CB and safety, and he returns punts:http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/draft/players/1665105/johnthan-banks
It's hard to say who will slip in this draft, T'eo, Ogletree, or Jarvis Jones could still be there when TT picks, any one of those would be tempting.

If you stack Mcmillan's combine numbers against those of this year's crop, he looks good. Maybe the Ted already found a safety. Besides, if he drafts one this year, that young guy will take a year or so to figure it out.

pbmax
03-05-2013, 07:15 AM
Need something up the middle of the D and that includes better play from both safeties. They are young enough and the cap tight enough that I am not sure Goldson is the answer. With Jennings now a FA, its more than likely Finley is coming back. Goldson would vacuum a large part of the cap and this is probably not the time to do it.

Anyone know why San Fran did not keep him? Safeties aren't horribly expensive compared to some other top end players at other positions.

run pMc
03-05-2013, 12:49 PM
I think Goldson was franchised last year and they didn't want to do it again -- doesn't franchising twice add 15%?
Wouldn't SF try to keep him without using a tag? With Alex Smith's trade they have more cap room to do it.

run pMc
03-05-2013, 12:56 PM
I'd like to see another S added to the roster.
Burnett played every down, and I have no idea who his backup is. If he blows out a knee (Heaven forbid), that safety spot looks iffy.
Jury's out on McMillian and whether, with more experience, he's the answer.
I'm not sold on M.D.Jennings...I keep picturing him try to tackle people and bounce off them. I think he's smart and willing but lacks the physicality/ability to bring down a quality RB.
Didn't Sean Richardson have back surgery?

If this is a a good draft for safety, I'd hope TT takes a mid-to-late round flyer on a guy.

pbmax
03-05-2013, 05:00 PM
I think Goldson was franchised last year and they didn't want to do it again -- doesn't franchising twice add 15%?
Wouldn't SF try to keep him without using a tag? With Alex Smith's trade they have more cap room to do it.

Same deal as Jake Long then. Thanks for the info.

woodbuck27
03-06-2013, 01:39 PM
http://blog.titansonline.com/2013/03/05/nfl-coms-list-of-top-free-agent-safeties/

NFL.com’s List of Top Free Agent Safeties

Posted by Gary Glenn on March 5, 2013 – 4:51 pm

1. Jairus Byrd, Buffalo Bills (Update: tagged as franchise player so not available)
2. Glover Quin, Houston Texans
3. Dashon Goldson, San Francisco 49ers
4. Kenny Phillips, New York Giants
5. William Moore, Atlanta Falcons
6. LaRon Landry, New York Jets
7. Ed Reed, Baltimore Ravens
8. Louis Delmas, Detroit Lions
9. Pat Chung, New England Patriots
10. Charles Woodson, Green Bay Packers

Please see the LINK for the remainder of the list.

GO PACKERS !

Deputy Nutz
03-06-2013, 03:00 PM
I don't think the Packers have any immediate concerns. Sure they could use a few more active bodies up front, but they got youth every where. A defensive end would be nice along with a defensive tackle, but not to where they need to reach.

Cheesehead Craig
03-06-2013, 04:13 PM

There's that and if using it twice in a row would guarantee an unhappy Goldson. He is wanting max S money. SF simply wasn't willing to pay him that much.

ND72
03-06-2013, 08:49 PM
Goldson would be a great signing.

Fritz
03-07-2013, 06:12 AM
...If there were no salary cap.

3irty1
03-07-2013, 09:35 AM
Safeties have the lowest bust rate of any position in the NFL. Therefore, I hypothesize that there is extra incentive to draft your safeties and get someone who plays way above their pay for 5 years. Goldson is a good player but he's certainly not going to be a bargain.