PDA

View Full Version : Packers cut Marc Boerigter

BananaMan
08-22-2006, 05:28 PM
http://www.packers.com/news/releases/2006/08/22/2/

Kind of interesting that they are cutting all their players this early. I think it's a good idea though, as it gives the players more opportunities, both in preseason games and practices.

BooHoo
08-22-2006, 05:32 PM
http://www.packers.com/news/releases/2006/08/22/2/

Kind of interesting that they are cutting all their players this early. I think it's a good idea though, as it gives the players more opportunities, both in preseason games and practices.

Agreed. If he wasn't going to make the team we might as well show 'em the door now instead of later. And we can take a closer look at the remaining Receivers.

Joemailman
08-22-2006, 05:53 PM
Ruvell Martin's chances are looking better and better.

KYPack
08-22-2006, 06:00 PM
Big Bo was a total disappointment.

He had deceptive speed, he was slower than he looked.

It was hard to believe the guy was a vet, he played so stupidly.

I like this cut.

BallHawk
08-22-2006, 06:25 PM
http://www.667shotwell.com/Collection/Rogan,%20Will/Hallelujah.jpg

gbpackfan
08-22-2006, 06:29 PM
When Boe was signed, I was excited. I remember seeing him play in KC and thought he would be a nice fit for MM's WCO. I was wrong. Boe flashed early at the OTA's but later disappeared in TC. He wasn't going to see the field much if he was kept and it is better to keep a young guy with potential rather then keeping a plain and simple blah guy whose abilities seem to have hit their high.

WR CORP: Driver, Fergie, Jennings, Gardner, Martin and if they keep six, Rodgers.

FYI - Watch for Atlanta to snap up Boe! They are desperate for WR help.

pbmax
08-22-2006, 06:47 PM
When Boe was signed, I was excited. I remember seeing him play in KC and thought he would be a nice fit for MM's WCO. I was wrong. Boe flashed early at the OTA's but later disappeared in TC. He wasn't going to see the field much if he was kept and it is better to keep a young guy with potential rather then keeping a plain and simple blah guy whose abilities seem to have hit their high.

WR CORP: Driver, Fergie, Jennings, Gardner, Martin and if they keep six, Rodgers.

FYI - Watch for Atlanta to snap up Boe! They are desperate for WR help.
I'd say there is a good chance Rodgers or Martin develop a mysterious leg ailment soon, probably after Monday night.

I can't see the Packer's waiving the draft pick and Martin might sneak through to the practice squad.

red
08-22-2006, 07:26 PM
well this shouldn't be a surprise to anyone

he was a total disapointment

MacCool606
08-22-2006, 08:08 PM
Bo wasn't someone that had any trade value either.

Kiwon
08-22-2006, 08:09 PM
Boerigter is gone and they trade with Cleveland for a 5-11 receiver. Jennings is 5-11. What happened to the tall receiver only strategy?

billy_oliver880
08-22-2006, 08:15 PM
Boerigter is gone and they trade with Cleveland for a 5-11 receiver. Jennings is 5-11. What happened to the tall receiver only strategy?

How many corners are taller then 6 foot?

red
08-22-2006, 08:17 PM

i think that went out the door when by far the two best looking WR's on the team were 6'0 and just under 6 foot in driver and jennings. if you have talent are quick and can get open and catch the ball you don't need to be 6'6

Patler
08-22-2006, 08:19 PM

Doesn't do any good being tall if you can't catch, and that has been Boerigter's problem. Dropped too many catchable balls.

KYPack
08-22-2006, 08:26 PM
This points up another concern.

I seriously question our scouts that evaluate league personnel.

& the front office's ability to filter those evals and make some clever acquisitions.

In the last few years, the caliber of our vet FA's has flat out sucked. I know TT doesn't dig vet FA's, but that is a part of his job.

Last year none of the vet FA's stuck. Somebody in the league scouting dept recommended Klemm & O'Dwyer, Neither of those guys is an NFL guard. & we needed guards, badly.

We used to snag good vets all the time. Dotson, Beebe, Sean Jones. Vets with a couple years left in the tank. Or young guys who were used wrong with their old clubs. Now we get guys like Robert Thomas (I know that was a "trade").

We need to roll some heads and get the best and the brightest scouting talent to help our talent stream from FA's, etc.

gbpackfan
08-22-2006, 08:36 PM
You really think it has to do with our scouts? Come on man. Get real! Teams sign vet. minimum free agents all the time. A lot the time, it doesn't work out. Boe was given a small salary to see if you could come back to his rookie form, he couldnt so he got cut. It is that simple. Dont make a huge deal out of it. Any one of us (fans) could have guessed this out come. It does not take a scout.

These same crappy scouts found Samkon Gado, Ben Taylor, Noah Herron, Charles Woodson, Ryan Pickett, and Marquand Manual. Now, I AM NOT saying all these guys will work out in the long run, but they look solid now. Well, Manual needs to stay healthy.

All I am saying is that signing FA is hit or miss. EVERY TEAM HAS THESE SAME PROBLEMS. Doesn't that sound familiar. OH YEAH, OUR HEAD SCOUT TT SAYS THE SAME THING ABOUT FREE AGENTS AND MOST PACKER FANS RIP HIM FOR IT. What do you want!!??

billy_oliver880
08-22-2006, 08:41 PM
These same crappy scouts found Samkon Gado, Ben Taylor, Noah Herron, Charles Woodson, Ryan Pickett, and Marquand Manual. Now, I AM NOT saying all these guys will work out in the long run, but they look solid now. Well, Manual needs to stay healthy.

They also found that Tight end...Lee I think his name is. I think that was a decent pickup.

pbmax
08-22-2006, 08:48 PM
This points up another concern.

I seriously question our scouts that evaluate league personnel.

& the front office's ability to filter those evals and make some clever acquisitions.

In the last few years, the caliber of our vet FA's has flat out sucked. I know TT doesn't dig vet FA's, but that is a part of his job.

Last year none of the vet FA's stuck. Somebody in the league scouting dept recommended Klemm & O'Dwyer, Neither of those guys is an NFL guard. & we needed guards, badly.

We used to snag good vets all the time. Dotson, Beebe, Sean Jones. Vets with a couple years left in the tank. Or young guys who were used wrong with their old clubs. Now we get guys like Robert Thomas (I know that was a "trade").

We need to roll some heads and get the best and the brightest scouting talent to help our talent stream from FA's, etc.
Perhaps its the scouts, but I also remember Sherman thought Klemm would be Wahle like.

It probably has more to do with teams being much better on the salary cap than they used to be. Dotson would never get away from TB today.

And Beebe and Jones were quite old. And vets were the most common salary cap casualty in the early cap era. When the Packer's seemed to have room every year.

Patler
08-22-2006, 08:51 PM
Donald Lee was also picked up by the same pro-scouting group last year.

For that matter Colin Cole was found by the same scouting group two years ago after being waived by the Vikings and Lions.

billy_oliver880
08-22-2006, 08:53 PM
So we are all in agreeance that we don't really care how tall our recievers are as long as the can get open and catch the ball right?

Brohm
08-22-2006, 08:54 PM
With some minor changes here and there, we pretty have had the same scouting department for quite some time.

Patler
08-22-2006, 09:19 PM
Perhaps its the scouts, but I also remember Sherman thought Klemm would be Wahle like.

I remember several articles quoting scouts who felt Klemm was a good "value" signing. One said Favre would love him for his pass blocking.

It amazes me that people are upset, still, about O'Dwyer. It cost the Packers nothing to bring him in to see if he had a year left in his body or not. This was a guy who had started over 100 games at guard in the NFL, and was a starter when he was injured lifting weights. Why not give him a chance? What did it hurt? Fans penciled him in as Rivera's replacement more than the team ever did. Same with Little and Freeman. They cost virtually nothing. If it works, fine, if not, who cares?

KYPack
08-23-2006, 07:54 AM
You really think it has to do with our scouts? Come on man. Get real! Teams sign vet. minimum free agents all the time. A lot the time, it doesn't work out. Boe was given a small salary to see if you could come back to his rookie form, he couldnt so he got cut. It is that simple. Dont make a huge deal out of it. Any one of us (fans) could have guessed this out come. It does not take a scout.

All I am saying is that signing FA is hit or miss. EVERY TEAM HAS THESE SAME PROBLEMS. Doesn't that sound familiar. OH YEAH, OUR HEAD SCOUT TT SAYS THE SAME THING ABOUT FREE AGENTS AND MOST PACKER FANS RIP HIM FOR IT. What do you want!!??

Some of your points are well taken. But we should get better league FA's than we have been getting. You are right, Gado & Herron came last year and they are good players. But I don't think we are getting our fair share in the off-season FA market. This is a market that TT seems to disdain.

I focus on the guards because that is a big need we have had for two seasons now. Last year we burned two draft picks and signed two off-season FA's and got exactly no players. The two FA's were Klemm & O'Dwyer. Klemm had played 8 games at G. I defy anyone who can show me good tape on Klemm playing guard anywhere in the world. The guy can't pull. O'Dwyer was played out & it was known throughout the league. I was aware of this because I live in Cincy & saw O'Dwyer attempt to play guard for several years. I posted exactly what O'Dwyer would turn out to be on JSO. If I knew, scouts knew. He was a liability at the position. There had to be miles of bad tape on him. SOMEBODY in the scouting dept shoul've put the kibosh on either selection.

Did TT override his scouts and pick those two guys anyway? Maybe.

Vet FA's in the off-season market is a crap shoot. You miss way more than you hit. But somehow, we still ain't getting our share. I point at the scouting staff, the front office, AND the GM. Somehow, the organization ain't getting the job done.

Neither one of us probably knows the reason why it ain't getting done, but in fact, it ain't getting done.

What do I want?

Some decent vet FA's signings in the off season.

I suspect TT's strategy is to sign such great players thru the draft, ya don't need off-season vet FA's. I don't know if that's enuff.

Pack0514
08-23-2006, 08:20 AM
From KFFL.com

Colts | Team will add Boerigter
Wed, 23 Aug 2006 05:26:16 -0700

Eric Francis, of the Calgary Sun, reports the Indianapolis Colts have agreed to sign free agent WR Marc Boerigter (Packers). "It's a no-lose situation to go there, eight hours ago I didn't have a job," Boerigter told the Calgary Sun late Tuesday night, Aug. 22, after talking to Colts personnel. He has yet to formally sign a contract with the Colts but will fly into Terre Haute, Ind., this morning to take a physical and expects to be on the practice field at 2 p.m.

KYPack
08-23-2006, 08:38 AM
With some minor changes here and there, we pretty have had the same scouting department for quite some time.

I thought we lost guys to Seattle during the Holmgren defection period.

Red Cochran died, for one "for sure" loss.

Red was famous for firing his clipboard across the room when Bart Starr failed to draft Joe Montana, over Red's strong recommendation.

GoPack06
08-23-2006, 09:03 AM
its the end of an era in Green Bay. So long Marc so many memories of you dropping passes in practice.

run pMc
08-23-2006, 09:30 AM
I think the nostalgia for the days of Dotson, Beebe, Rison, etc. is a little misplaced. The NFL free agency landscape has changed since those early days where some GM hadn't figured out how to work the cap. Look at what happened to the 49'ers. They spent their way into cap hell.

My point is that it's much harder to sign quality free agents, because teams have figured out that it's a good strategy to resign your own players. Most free agency signings are of the minimum vet type, or modest signings. That wasn't always the case. The densest of sportwriters have pointed out how few marquee players make it to free agency these days. These days a player like Reggie would be impossible to pry loose from Philly -- unless he pulled a Corey Simon.

GB had a lot of cap space, so they could go out & sign Woodson, Manuel, & Pickett. Thinking about those signings -- Manuel was a backup safety; Woodson still has some good snaps ahead of him, but he's had health issues. Pickett will probably be a slight upgrade over Grady, who we either had to resign or replace. Pickett got something like 4yr/$14M, which isn't exactly going to cripple the cap. Can't comment much on Manuel's contract, but I don't think it was a huge one either. Woodson's contract is front-loaded on purpose -- which I think was smart for cap management purposes.

Sorry, I got waaaayyy off topic there. I'll not mourn cutting Boerigter; it didn't pan out for him & he'll catch on with the Colts. GB gets a chance to look at this kid from Ferris State at PR/KR/WR. 5-11, 214 is 3rd down running back-sized, so he can probably take a hit. If he's got good hands and decent speed, it's worth it.

woodbuck27
08-23-2006, 12:10 PM
Anybody shocked with that move?

I expected it. Focus on those that are still a REAL possibility for OUR future.

That was a positive move to promote Ruvell Martin's efforts with us that have been very positive where I sit. :mrgreen:

GO PACK GO ! HOLD FAITH PACKER FANS !!

pittstang5
08-23-2006, 01:39 PM
Anybody shocked with that move?

I expected it. Focus on those that are still a REAL possibility for OUR future.

That was a positive move to promote Ruvell Martin's efforts with us that have been very positive where I sit. :mrgreen:

GO PACK GO ! HOLD FAITH PACKER FANS !!

I figured he was gone soon. I'm surprised he was cut yesterday and not Monday.

oregonpackfan
08-23-2006, 01:45 PM
If Boerighter cannot consistently catch passes from future Hall-of-Famer Brett Favre how does he expect to consistently catch passes from future Hall-of-Famer Peyton Manning?

OPF

packrulz
08-23-2006, 01:58 PM

I've read they want to try him returning kicks so I guess his height doesn't matter.

red
08-23-2006, 02:31 PM
i think gardners number will be coming up here soon too if he doesn't pick it up

we can get his kind of production out of one of the undrafted rookies

Bretsky
08-23-2006, 11:22 PM
A day after being cut by GB Boerigter signed a deal with the Indy Colts.

Patler
08-23-2006, 11:26 PM
It would be interesting to look back at all the reports of his drops, to see if he dropped passes from Rodgers as frequently as ones from Favre. Everyone comments about the rotation on Favre's passes. I wonder if he just cant catch when Favre throws it?

Merlin
08-24-2006, 12:31 PM
It would be interesting to look back at all the reports of his drops, to see if he dropped passes from Rodgers as frequently as ones from Favre. Everyone comments about the rotation on Favre's passes. I wonder if he just cant catch when Favre throws it?

I have heard that Favre throws so hard that receivers need to make adjustments to his throws. I know whenever I have seen him live, the ball doesn't wabble most of the time he throws it. That would mean it is rotating pretty darn fast! We never had gloves and they outlawed stickum and I never had a problem catching a football. Has anyone ever picked up a pair of those gloves? They are like fly paper! If you can't catch the ball wearing those gloves no matter who is throwing it, you don't belong in the NFL!

woodbuck27
08-24-2006, 01:00 PM

I have heard that Favre throws so hard that receivers need to make adjustments to his throws. I know whenever I have seen him live, the ball doesn't wabble most of the time he throws it. That would mean it is rotating pretty darn fast! We never had gloves and they outlawed stickum and I never had a problem catching a football. Has anyone ever picked up a pair of those gloves? They are like fly paper! If you can't catch the ball wearing those gloves no matter who is throwing it, you don't belong in the NFL!

Yes. It seems to me that the pressure is getting to Cory Rodgers. I think most of us here are surprised, and not good surprised?

Maybe he has a REAL issue? Maybe it's his eyesight or his nerves?

He must line up with the ball..catch the ball...then run with the ball spoting for a way... to gain the most yards (picking up his blocking).

TT wouldn't have picked him... if he wasn't slightly excellent at returning punts/kicks in College ball. Look at the College Reports on Cory Rodgers.

Looks v.good.

ALL purpose yards...check

What is wrong with him? :?:

I expect ST's Coach Mike Stock, is asking that question and answering ?'s like crazy, from M3 and T2 (possibly ?)