PDA

View Full Version : Who Should Be The Packers Starting Running Back In 2013?

Joemailman
03-10-2013, 12:36 PM
We need a poll. Should TT go with one of the holdovers? Sign a free agent? Draft someone?

Bretsky
03-10-2013, 12:37 PM
We need a poll. Should TT go with one of the holdovers? Sign a free agent? Draft someone?

Monte Ball or Stephen Jackson :)

Joemailman
03-10-2013, 12:41 PM
I'm going with Ball. Just a hunch he's one of those really good all-around backs whose lack of great speed won't matter that much.

HarveyWallbangers
03-10-2013, 12:42 PM
Unless they can get Jackson cheap, then no thank you. I'd rather have money to resign B.J. Raji than a 30-year-old RB who has 1 or 2 good years left. I'm not sure there's a lot of difference between Cedric Benson (if healthy) and Steven Jackson at this point. I'd like Monte Ball, but not with a 1st round pick and maybe not even a 2nd round pick. Only spend big money or high draft picks on game changing RBs.

woodbuck27
03-10-2013, 12:43 PM
Monte Ball or Stephen Jackson :)

Your options are realistic. I voted Stephen Jackson and on that note your choice is more realistic. :grin:

PACKERS !

woodbuck27
03-10-2013, 12:46 PM
Unless they can get Jackson cheap, then no thank you. I'd rather have money to resign B.J. Raji than a 30-year-old RB who has 1 or 2 good years left. I'm not sure there's a lot of difference between Cedric Benson (if healthy) and Steven Jackson at this point. I'd like Monte Ball, but not with a 1st round pick and maybe not even a 2nd round pick. Only spend big money or high draft picks on game changing RBs.

I'm taking it then that your content with us making the playoffs and then rolling the dice.

pbmax
03-10-2013, 01:52 PM
No way can James Starks be injured and unavailable for the third year in a row. :lol:

Patler
03-10-2013, 02:10 PM
No way can James Starks be injured and unavailable for the third year in a row. :lol:

You are right, it is impossible, because he already has been injured and unavailable to the packers for the better parts of three years in a row. 2013 will be his fourth year of being injured and unavailable, if they even keep him. :lol:

wist43
03-10-2013, 10:56 PM
I'm taking it then that your content with us making the playoffs and then rolling the dice.

TT and MM have proven that some positions are more important to them than others. RB is an almost incidental position since TT got here. It is what it is.

Just as the general makeup of the OL isn't going to change. Power run blockers need not apply. The offense revolves around Rodgers and the passing game, and the Packers prefer mobile offensive linemen that can get out in space.

I don't expect any of that to change.

Was watching NFL Live yesterday, they were talking about FA RB's and where a good fit for them was. Steven Jackson and Rashard Mendenhall were both mentioned as good signings for the Packers - to which, Merril Hoge screamed NO!!! lol... both times!!! In his words, "what a waste".

I agree with Hoge that Green Bay is RB Siberia.

smuggler
03-10-2013, 11:45 PM
Voted for DuJuan Harris based on the guys currently on the roster. Hoping for better and/or a different look without the horrible health problems of Starks.

jklowan
03-11-2013, 08:15 AM
Rashard Mendenhall might be a good fit and cheaper than Jackson

focus on defense in the draft

Joemailman
03-14-2013, 05:59 PM
Scratch Jackson off the list. And Reggie Bush, who nobody voted for.

red
03-14-2013, 06:15 PM
i really wouldn't mind ced-ben being brought back

the stats might not have shown it, but the running game looked like it was at a totally different level when he had the ball

PaCkFan_n_MD
03-14-2013, 06:17 PM
Harris. He has a little MJD in him. I expect him to make a big impact next season.

Joemailman
03-14-2013, 06:23 PM
i really wouldn't mind ced-ben being brought back

the stats might not have shown it, but the running game looked like it was at a totally different level when he had the ball

I wouldn't be surprised if he's back, although TT might wait to see what happens in the draft. I thought he looked pretty good in a couple of those games before he got hurt. Being around for training camp would probably make him better than he was last year.

swede
03-14-2013, 06:36 PM
I thought I'd be alone voting for Ball (or another rd 2-3 pick).

But the likely scenario is more of the same: 16 regular season games, 5 starting running backs averaging 72 yds a game.

wist43
03-14-2013, 09:46 PM
Benson, Green, and Harris would be fine.

If not Benson, then bring in a similar back - why throw money and high draft picks at a position that isn't going to be used much??

King Friday
03-14-2013, 09:54 PM
Wist...I think they would use the RB position if they had one worth using. McCarthy has never been afraid to use RBs when he had talented ones. He used McAllister heavily in NO. He used Grant significantly while he was serviceable. The bottom line is that what we've had at RB over the last 2+ seasons has been borderline in actually being NFL caliber. Benson is not a world-beater by any means, but he looks remarkable next to the dregs we've been throwing out there. I wouldn't use those guys either if I was McCarthy...and had Rodgers/Jennings/Jordy/Driver/Cobb/Jones/Finley on the field. You would be a damn idiot to hand the ball off more than 15 times a game to a RB who barely belonged in the league.

Bretsky
03-14-2013, 10:13 PM
I thought I'd be alone voting for Ball (or another rd 2-3 pick).

But the likely scenario is more of the same: 16 regular season games, 5 starting running backs averaging 72 yds a game.

I'm torn on Ball; he will be a very solid RB. But GB has so many needs on defense and the still could use another OL. I'd LOVE it if they could land him in round 3 but IMO he won't be there. They probably have to use a 2 for him and we have too many holes

swede
03-14-2013, 10:24 PM
I'm torn on Ball; he will be a very solid RB. But GB has so many needs on defense and the still could use another OL. I'd LOVE it if they could land him in round 3 but IMO he won't be there. They probably have to use a 2 for him and we have too many holes

And I am afraid that trade-downs are going to be hard to come by in this draft. EVERYBODY is going to want to move down rather than up.

It might be hard to trade down and get the picks we need to snag Ball at the right spot, say our 4th pick at the end of the 3rd.

woodbuck27
03-14-2013, 11:06 PM
TT and MM have proven that some positions are more important to them than others. RB is an almost incidental position since TT got here. It is what it is.

Just as the general makeup of the OL isn't going to change. Power run blockers need not apply. The offense revolves around Rodgers and the passing game, and the Packers prefer mobile offensive linemen that can get out in space.

I don't expect any of that to change.

Was watching NFL Live yesterday, they were talking about FA RB's and where a good fit for them was. Steven Jackson and Rashard Mendenhall were both mentioned as good signings for the Packers - to which, Merril Hoge screamed NO!!! lol... both times!!! In his words, "what a waste".

I agree with Hoge that Green Bay is RB Siberia.

Was watching NFL Live yesterday, they were talking about FA RB's and where a good fit for them was. Steven Jackson and Rashard Mendenhall were both mentioned as good signings for the Packers - to which, Merril Hoge screamed NO!!! lol... both times!!! In his words, "what a waste". wist43

Maybe Stephen Jackson was watching that same show.

Maybe right now. Green Bay is ... RB Siberia.

woodbuck27
03-14-2013, 11:11 PM
Wist...I think they would use the RB position if they had one worth using. McCarthy has never been afraid to use RBs when he had talented ones. He used McAllister heavily in NO. He used Grant significantly while he was serviceable. The bottom line is that what we've had at RB over the last 2+ seasons has been borderline in actually being NFL caliber. Benson is not a world-beater by any means, but he looks remarkable next to the dregs we've been throwing out there. I wouldn't use those guys either if I was McCarthy...and had Rodgers/Jennings/Jordy/Driver/Cobb/Jones/Finley on the field. You would be a damn idiot to hand the ball off more than 15 times a game to a RB who barely belonged in the league.

Our offense is all about Aaron Rodgers and the passing game.

Let's see what TT can do to make that formidable again in terms of going 'all the way'.

GO PACK GO !

wist43
03-15-2013, 01:32 AM

Our offense is all about Aaron Rodgers and the passing game.

GO PACK GO !

Would a more talented back change the run/pass percentage?? Probably a little bit; but that back will still be running behind a very poor run blocking OL, and running plays called by a coach who is 100% pass-happy.

McCarthy may have run the ball more when he first got here, but he inherited a pretty good run blocking OL, and Favre was heaving up picks all over the place. TT and MM have been here long enough that we have a good bead on their core philosophies.

In my view, I think our inability to run the ball is more about McCarthy - first; and the types of players the Packers prefer on the OL - second. MM wants agile OL, he's got 'em. In space?? They're okay. Against poor defenses?? They're okay. Against a tough, physical front seven?? Not so much.

We're underpowered on the OL, but I think the Packers like the line the way it is - with the exception of Newhouse, who is an obvious target for upgrade.

I'd much rather have Chance Warmack than Steven Jackson.

SnakeLH2006
03-15-2013, 03:40 AM
Lacy or Ball are fine...but Snake thinks that we'll get a 3rd-5th round RB to compete. It's sad that $4 million yearly for Steve Jackson is too much, but hey TT looks at long term value. But then again, TT has NEVER looked at RB's as necessary or high draft picks. Sux, but think he'll stick with DuJuan and Benson for cheap.

SnakeLH2006
03-15-2013, 03:48 AM
I think TT is smart overall...but with the HUGE influx of vet talents released with the abbreviated salary cap...I hope he can pick up a FA safety like Ed Reed or his safety brother....or someone to help on D....RB is no need....DL line help would be smart..Canty and Jenkins got 3 years 8 million...that's peanuts and shows FA don't wanna play in the cold..nor would I for the same money. You pay a bit more to get those guys here..ala Woodson years ago...but he paid off. TT is smart but cheap..and we need to resign CMatty this year, but all this talk about resigning AROd now is bunk...he has 2 years on his deal. He's gonna get major loot...but why give it to him now...he'll be 30 in a year....with a year to go..sign him then....it's not like there is anymore elite QB's with contracts coming up that will fuck up the salary structure...Flacco is ok at best..won a SB..they had no options...but Brady reupped at 9 million yearly...no worries...I'd sign CMatty...worry bout Arod in a the next years and use the franchise tag if necessary. No other QB is coming up for FA that matters...