PDA

View Full Version : Good Article on Marc Trestman

pbmax
03-10-2013, 01:29 PM
An itinerant coaches journey partially explained.

http://www.chicagotribune.com/sports/football/bears/ct-spt-0310-bears-pompei-chicago--20130310,0,579231.column?page=1

Had a small chapter written about this guy and his experience with the Browns and how its a tangent with the Packers and Infante. Lost to the Gods of DNS, here is the short version.

Marty S, Head Coach of the Browns, having developed a fantastic running game and defense in Cleveland, comes up short in what should have been a win versus the very recent Super Bowl Dolphins in the playoffs. If his team had a competent passing game, they would have routed Marino.

He hires Infante to install a modern passing game for Kosar and GM Ernie Accorsi finds two wideout where there previously were none in Webster Slaughter and Reggie Langhorne. Infante's offense is good enough to get the team to 3 AFC Title games. He is hired by the Packers. Team is dysfunctional enough that Tom Oates of the WiSJ still revels in his ignorance about that offense and to this day derisively refers to it as "Pass to Daylight". ***

To replace Infante, Marty is semi forced to hire Trestman from the Vikings or Tampa rather than promote from within. Kosar agitates for the hire because he loved the guy in Miami when he was an assistant. Trestman is considered brilliant and a real up and comer. Of course he is asked to run the offense as it was under Infante. Results are mediocre, Marty resists making more staff changes at the behest of management and is fired/quits. Trestman, with an injured and immobile Kosar and declining production elsewhere is forced upon new HC Bud Carson.

Remarkably, it doesn't work and Carson and Trestman are both gone in less than 2 years, giving way to Bill Belicheck.

This Tribune story covers much more ground, including how Trestman kept landing himself in some terrible situations. Took a step back and found a way to get himself into better spots. Lets hope the Bears are not one of those better choices.

*** Same kind of cloudy thinking is on display whenever anyone in Madison mentions Don Morton and his Veer offense. According to the bloviators, such an anachronistic and rare offense was not going to succeed with today's kids, who are all about video games and short attention spans. Alvarez comes in with an offense at least as dated and does just as bad as Morton in his first 3 years. However, the increased support by Administration and elevation of the Athletic Dept (and its budget) in importance starts to pay dividends with better recruits.

Lo and behold, with better players, the anachronistic offense begins to succeed and is lauded as the truth, the light and they way.

Stupidly, bloviators cannot wrap their heads around the notion that it wasn't the offense that caused trouble, it was the caliber of player that arrived in Madison. Start to compete financially at a level comparable with the rest of the Big Ten and suddenly players start to show up.

Keep this in mind as the San Francisco 49ers run an inverted veer for touchdowns again in 2013.

woodbuck27
03-10-2013, 02:13 PM
Here's another one:

Will Marc Trestman and his coaching staff win in the NFL, boosting the CFL’s profile?.

By Andrew Bucholtz ... 55 Yard Line – Thu, 31 Jan, 2013 2:43 AM EST

http://ca.sports.yahoo.com/blogs/cfl-55-yard-line/marc-trestman-northern-coaching-staff-succeed-nfl-boosting-074355534.html

"... the staff Trestman has put together carries a heavy CFL flavour. The most prominent positions are held by experienced NFL hands, but five assistants (Andy Bischoff, Pat Meyer, Brendan Nugent, Carson Walch and Mike Sinclair)* were with the Alouettes last season and a sixth (Tim Tibesar) was the Alouettes' defensive coordinator in 2011. That's a substantial amount of CFL connections, and it reinforces the idea that this team will partly be seen as representing the quality of Canadian football. If Trestman and his staff go on to find success with the Bears, that could really boost the CFL's profile stateside, but if Chicago struggles under them, it could be a setback for the league." Fr. LINK

Guiness
03-10-2013, 03:32 PM
Here's another one:

Will Marc Trestman and his coaching staff win in the NFL, boosting the CFL’s profile?.

By Andrew Bucholtz ... 55 Yard Line – Thu, 31 Jan, 2013 2:43 AM EST

http://ca.sports.yahoo.com/blogs/cfl-55-yard-line/marc-trestman-northern-coaching-staff-succeed-nfl-boosting-074355534.html

"... the staff Trestman has put together carries a heavy CFL flavour. The most prominent positions are held by experienced NFL hands, but five assistants (Andy Bischoff, Pat Meyer, Brendan Nugent, Carson Walch and Mike Sinclair)* were with the Alouettes last season and a sixth (Tim Tibesar) was the Alouettes' defensive coordinator in 2011. That's a substantial amount of CFL connections, and it reinforces the idea that this team will partly be seen as representing the quality of Canadian football. If Trestman and his staff go on to find success with the Bears, that could really boost the CFL's profile stateside, but if Chicago struggles under them, it could be a setback for the league." Fr. LINK

So...torn. I'd like to see the CFL to be recognized as a legitimate league and seriously scouted by the NFL, but not at the expense of Chicago doing well!

Given the choice of the lesser of two evils, is it ok to hope Chicago goes 8-8 for the duration of Trestman's tenure? :wink:

Joemailman
03-10-2013, 04:07 PM
So...torn. I'd like to see the CFL to be recognized as a legitimate league and seriously scouted by the NFL, but not at the expense of Chicago doing well!

Given the choice of the lesser of two evils, is it ok to hope Chicago goes 8-8 for the duration of Trestman's tenure? :wink:

Sure, as long as that 8-8 includes 0-2 against the Packers.

Guiness
03-10-2013, 05:36 PM
Sure, as long as that 8-8 includes 0-2 against the Packers.

Ya, I was thinking that, or even better yet 0-8 in the division, and 8-0 out of it.

smuggler
03-10-2013, 11:49 PM
Except the Bears only have 3 divisional opponents, so they can't go 0-8 in the division.

Guiness
03-10-2013, 11:50 PM
Except the Bears only have 3 divisional opponents, so they can't go 0-8 in the division.

We can hope, can't we? They do seem to beat themselves...

pbmax
03-11-2013, 08:19 AM
Actually, I think Rand worked this out once before. Don't we want all Division opponents to win on the road versus other Division opponents? Or something like that?

But if you could guarantee the Bears at 8-8, I would hope they go 4-0 versus the rest of the Division.

KYPack
03-11-2013, 08:51 AM
Actually, I think Rand worked this out once before. Don't we want all Division opponents to win on the road versus other Division opponents? Or something like that?

But if you could guarantee the Bears at 8-8, I would hope they go 4-0 versus the rest of the Division.

4-2, 2-1 on the road vs division opponents, no?

(Post edit thoughts)

Bears, Lions, & Vikes go 4-12

pbmax
03-11-2013, 09:09 AM
4-2, 2-1 on the road vs division opponents, no?

Yep. I meant 4-0 versus the Lions and Vikes if I was assured the Bears would be no better than .500.

woodbuck27
03-11-2013, 11:20 AM

More and more it seems to me smart to simply first be a football fan. The reason I choose to be that is that I'm seldom disappointed. When I was younger I used to feel just horrible whenever one of my most favourite teams suffered defeat and now not so much. Since I began playing Fantasy /Pro Pickem it's changed. I have to pay attention to the NFL as a whole. I'll always be a Packers fan first but I'm interested in alot of happenings in the NFL and certainly in the NFCN.

I cannot help but be intrigued by the Chicago Bears hiring of Marc Trestman. His reputation and efforts with the Montreal Alouettes made me a fan of his Guiness. There will be enough people here that will predict and hope that he falls flat on his face to not need me on that band wagon.

On another note and (sports) Montreal. I apologize for any that may be offended by me posting this:

I'm stunned and delighted with just how well the HABS are doing right now. What an amazing turn around for that organization. I realize just how valuable a healthy Andrei Markov is to this team; but it seems to me that their new GM, Marc Bergevin may be for real.

GO PACK GO !