PDA

View Full Version : EDS gets low RFA tender

denverYooper
03-11-2013, 06:05 PM
Per Tom Silverstein's twitter (https://twitter.com/TomSilverstein/status/311244339047170049).

Been told by a league source that #Packers C Evan Dietrich-Smith received the low RFA tender, which means no compensation attached. #risky

woodbuck27
03-11-2013, 06:12 PM
If that's true ED-S can't be feeling too good and/or about moving.

pbmax
03-11-2013, 06:54 PM
That was unexpected. They must really be ready to open the vaults for at least 2 of the 3 big future FAs. WIth the notable exception of Finley, they seem to have taken the option that creates the most cap space.

woodbuck27
03-11-2013, 06:59 PM
That was unexpected. They must really be ready to open the vaults for at least 2 of the 3 big future FAs. WIth the notable exception of Finley, they seem to have taken the option that creates the most cap space.

I'm scratching my head over Jermichael Finley remaining in Green Bay at what he will cost our CAP. I don't get it. They must really believe he'll get it all together.

red
03-11-2013, 08:07 PM
this is another move that has me questioning tt

isn't EDS the only center we have on the roster. giving a guy the lowest tender is like telling a guy to take a hike, if they really wanted to keep him they would have spent a couple hundred thousand more and made sure someone had to give something up if they wanted him.

so where does this leave us for next year? if we miss out on the two big draft prospects at center, then there isn't mush else

whats available in free agency?

KYPack
03-11-2013, 09:07 PM
'Bout like the draft prospects, Red.

A little sumpin' sumpin', but not that much.

Two old guys, Todd Mclure with ATL (36), Dan Koppen Denver (33), Rob Turner STL (29).

Koppen's probably the best hand out of the 3, but he was always banged up with NE.

Turner is a C & a swing guy. If we lose EDS, Turner can play C, G, and a little RT for lunch.

Turner is kind of a step backwards, he's at his ceiling and probably coming down.

Any one of these FA's could fail. We will definitely draft a kid come draft days.

Bretsky
03-11-2013, 09:11 PM
Schwenke...remember the name. Future All Pro at C and he'd be a great pick for GB

Tuner would be a nice pickup in FA....wait........I'm a Packer fan.........what is FA again ?

Joemailman
03-11-2013, 09:26 PM
Schwenke...remember the name. Future All Pro at C and he'd be a great pick for GB

Tuner would be a nice pickup in FA....wait........I'm a Packer fan.........what is FA again ?

Oh...you said Schwenke. For a minute there, I thought you said Schmenge.

http://barfblog.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/05/cabbage_rolls_coffe_schmenge.jpg

Patler
03-11-2013, 09:33 PM
They still get to match any offer EDS receives. Its not guaranteed he will leave.
They tendered him at $1.323M.
Next higher tender with 2nd round comp is $2.023M.
If anyone offers between the two, the Packers can match and will have saved money.

Is EDS worth more than $2M/year to someone else? I think it is unlikely. What teams know much about him? He really has not played very much. Will anyone throw significant bonus money at him for a multi-year deal? Again, I think it is unlikely.

Joemailman
03-11-2013, 09:36 PM
They still get to match any offer EDS receives. Its not guaranteed he will leave.
If anyone offers between the two, the Packers can match and will have saved money.

Is EDS worth more than $2M/year to someone else? I think it is unlikely. What teams know much about him? He really has not played very much. Will anyone throw significant bonus money at him for a multi-year deal? Again, I think it is unlikely.

Wait a minute. Didn't the Packers bench a Pro Bowler in favor of EDS?

Old School
03-11-2013, 09:39 PM
I'm thinking when all's said and done EDS will be a Packer. In the meantime, it's one more thing to worry about.

King Friday
03-11-2013, 09:57 PM
Not all that shocking...I'm guessing EDS isn't a huge target on anyone's FA blackboard. Thompson is hoping to save a couple bucks and lock EDS up for under $2M a year. With the right to match, I don't think he's going anywhere.

red
03-11-2013, 10:47 PM

yeah, that worked real well the last time we tried to do this

gave jarrett bush the low tender, someone made him and offer, AND WE FREAKING MATCH IT and get stuck with that pile of shit

yeah, that was great. i would have rather gotten kicked in the nuts

woodbuck27
03-12-2013, 03:31 AM

Yup. Don't spend a doller more than you have to and at the same time risk losing a center that you developed (are developing) and replaced the 'great' Jeff Saturday.

Doesn't Ted Thompson account for a man's pride?

packrulz
03-12-2013, 04:53 AM
EDS is a hard working guy but the only reason he got the starting job was because Saturday couldn't do it anymore. The Packers have 72 Gerhart, Garth C 6-1 310 24 R Arizona State on the roster, and Lang could be moved to center if needed. I don't think EDS is the long term answer at C, TT might draft a center.

Joemailman
03-12-2013, 05:55 AM
Yup. Don't spend a doller more than you have to and at the same time risk losing a center that you developed (are developing) and replaced the 'great' Jeff Saturday.

So TT should pay a guy more than he thinks the guy is worth so he doesn't hurt his pride? Because 1.3 million isn't enough for a guy to do his job with pride?

woodbuck27
03-12-2013, 06:21 AM
So TT should pay a guy more than he thinks the guy is worth so he doesn't hurt his pride? Because 1.3 million isn't enough for a guy to do his job with pride?

Your answering a question with two more questions. There's no need to defend Ted Thompson because as Packer GM he's always right.

I believe you would have to go to the individuals involved in a specific contract negotiation to get the real inside. I'm not Ted Thompson nor ED-S or his agent, so don't have specific insight.

In fairness, does anyone really know what TT thinks? This concern over our center position simply has to play out before we may gain any further insight.

3irty1
03-12-2013, 06:52 AM
EDS was cut in TC and again by the seahawks in 2010. I view him as a better system fit than anything else meaning he's more valuable to us than he is to anyone else. Even here where he was a known quantity it was deemed unacceptable to go into the season with EDS as the starter hence the signing of Saturday.

The best part about EDS is that he plays way above his pay grade. Why ruin that with a fat tender?

Patler
03-12-2013, 07:17 AM

I don't think a GM should give a player more than the GM thinks he is worth. I'm quite sure the pride of Francois, Zombo and Crabtree will take a hit if they don't receive tender offers, so should TT tender them, because of their pride? At what level should he tender them?

I'm sure a player's pride is hurt when he is released. How does a GM account for pride and release a player when he needs to?

Then, too, this could all just be an attempt to determine EDS' value on the open market in an effort to reach a longer term contract than just a single season. If they are far apart on what his market value is, this will let them find out.

woodbuck27
03-12-2013, 07:24 AM
I don't think a GM should give a player more than the GM thinks he is worth. I'm quite sure the pride of Francois, Zombo and Crabtree will take a hit if they don't receive tender offers, so should TT tender them, because of their pride? At what level should he tender them?

I'm sure a player's pride is hurt when he is released. How does a GM account for pride and release a player when he needs to?

Then, too, this could all just be an attempt to determine EDS' value on the open market in an effort to reach a longer term contract than just a single season. If they are far apart on what his market value is, this will let them find out.

Solid response. Thanks Patler.

Rutnstrut
03-12-2013, 11:50 AM
Does it really matter, decent NFL centers are a dime a dozen.

pittstang5
03-12-2013, 12:05 PM
Does it really matter, decent NFL centers are a dime a dozen.

EDS is the weakest link on the line, sorry, but it's true. Yes, imo, I think he's weaker than Marshmellow. I think some are overvalueing EDS. He's not great, but he's not terrible either. He's replaceable, but I think alot of people are concerned that if he walks, there's no one behind him.

TT has a plan - he always does.

pbmax
03-12-2013, 12:11 PM
EDS is the weakest link on the line, sorry, but it's true. Yes, imo, I think he's weaker than Marshmellow. I think some are overvalueing EDS. He's not great, but he's not terrible either. He's replaceable, but I think alot of people are concerned that if he walks, there's no one behind him.

TT has a plan - he always does.

Runs is trolling us a bit, I think. He was on the "not happy to swap Wells for Saturday" bandwagon.

But I am not expecting the Packers to lay out more cash for a C now that they are closer to the big extensions than last year. Bargain basement or draft.

Patler
03-12-2013, 12:30 PM
I think EDS is one of those guys who has to be a little careful where he goes. He is not so talented that he will be appreciated everywhere. He has just started getting a foothold on a possible NFL career. He is on a team that seems to appreciate him, with a real opportunity to start and get a firm foothold on a career.

He could go somewhere else for a little more money, perhaps not fit in as well, and be out of work in a year or two.

His best opportunity to lock down a real NFL career might be to stay in GB for the upcoming season. He could be in a much better bargaining position next year.

Rutnstrut
03-12-2013, 02:58 PM
Runs is trolling us a bit, I think. He was on the "not happy to swap Wells for Saturday" bandwagon.

But I am not expecting the Packers to lay out more cash for a C now that they are closer to the big extensions than last year. Bargain basement or draft.

You are right I was trolling/baiting. I am curious though to see who they may bring in at center, I do agree that EDS isn't the be all, end all. He did however look better than Saturday last year, not that that's saying much.

KYPack
03-14-2013, 10:10 AM
'Bout like the draft prospects, Red.

A little sumpin' sumpin', but not that much.

Two old guys, Todd Mclure with ATL (36), Dan Koppen Denver (33), Rob Turner STL (29).

Koppen's probably the best hand out of the 3, but he was always banged up with NE.

Turner is a C & a swing guy. If we lose EDS, Turner can play C, G, and a little RT for lunch.

Turner is kind of a step backwards, he's at his ceiling and probably coming down.

Any one of these FA's could fail. We will definitely draft a kid come draft days.

Remember when Tank used to bump his own threads?

I'll give it a whirl.

Mclure just announced his retirement.

I think we'll go with EDS and a kid.

woodbuck27
03-14-2013, 10:25 AM
Remember when Tank used to bump his own threads?

I'll give it a whirl.

Mclure just announced his retirement.

I think we'll go with EDS and a kid.

http://www.ajc.com/news/sports/football/center-todd-mcclure-to-hang-up-his-cleats/nWrKB/

KY The connection between your second and third sentence escapes me. I think your refering to the Atlanta Falcons long term center Todd McClure deciding to hang up his cleats.

Not to make every thread about the possibility of SJ in Green Bay; but I would think that a big part of his decision would be the state of the OL on whichever team he selects. Maybe? this decision by Todd McClure brings Stephen Jackson a wee bit closer to Green Bay.

PACKERS !

HarveyWallbangers
04-13-2013, 12:56 PM
I think EDS is one of those guys who has to be a little careful where he goes. He is not so talented that he will be appreciated everywhere. He has just started getting a foothold on a possible NFL career. He is on a team that seems to appreciate him, with a real opportunity to start and get a firm foothold on a career.

He could go somewhere else for a little more money, perhaps not fit in as well, and be out of work in a year or two.

His best opportunity to lock down a real NFL career might be to stay in GB for the upcoming season. He could be in a much better bargaining position next year.

I didn't see this posted: "Packers, Evan Dietrich-Smith agree to deal". Perhaps he and his agent realized this, but it's more likely that the Packers made the correct, calculated decision that he wouldn't be offered more.

wist43
04-13-2013, 01:48 PM
With Rodgers taking up a huge chunk of the salary cap, most of the rest roster necessarily has to be minumum wage guys.

Besides, if there are two positions on the roster that TT doesn't value much it would be C and RB. He's never drafted a C, and outside of Jackson in the 2nd round (not a good pick), he tends to look for RB's as they stagger out of the bars at closing time.

Would love to see an upgrade at center, but it's doubtful we'll get any help.

Fritz
04-17-2013, 06:20 AM
I have hopes that TT will draft a center somewhere in the middle of the draft - not some quaint long term project in the 7th round, but not the first round, either.

Erectile Dysfunction-Smith can hold down the fort for this year, but let's hope someone better comes along to take his place.