yay? nay? thoughts?

RashanGary
03-11-2013, 10:58 PM
any thoughts about him?

he'd be a stop gap, he's at the very end of his career

but he's the safety we need

shouldn't break the bank

yay? nay? thoughts?

For me, in a heartbeat if we don't draft someone high.

pbmax
03-12-2013, 07:57 AM
There are a metric ton of safeties as UFAs this year. After a week, a number of them will be available at modest prices if T2 and M3 think the current crop need help. This list is populated by some marginal players, but the list of good players formerly on good sized contracts is remarkable.

PLAYER TYPE PREVIOUS TEAM NEW TEAM CONTRACT
Allen, Will UFA Steelers
Amaya, Jonathon RFA Dolphins
Anderson, Colt RFA Eagles
Barber, Ronde UFA Buccaneers
Bell, Yeremiah UFA Jets
Bigby, Atari UFA Chargers
Brown, Stevie RFA Giants
Bruton, David UFA Broncos
Byrd, Jairus UFA Bills Bills Franchised
Clemons, Chris UFA Dolphins
Considine, Sean UFA Ravens
Crocker, Chris UFA Bengals
Dahl, Craig UFA Rams
Delmas, Louis UFA Lions
Demps, Quintin UFA Texans
Elam, Abram UFA Chiefs
Frampton, Eric UFA Cowboys
Giordano, Matt UFA Raiders
Goldson, Dashon UFA 49ers
Hope, Chris UFA Falcons
Inhedigbo, James UFA Ravens
Johnson, Rashad UFA Cardinals Cardinals Unknown
Landry, Dawan UFA Jaguars
Landry, LaRon UFA Jets
Leonhard, Jim UFA Broncos
Lynch, Corey UFA Chargers
Martin, Derrick UFA Patriots
Martin, Sherrod UFA Panthers
McBath, Darcel RFA 49ers
McCray, Danny RFA Cowboys
Miles, Jeromy RFA Bengals
Mitchell, Mike UFA Raiders
Moore, William UFA Falcons Falcons 5-year, $30 million
Mundy, Ryan UFA Steelers
Nolan, Troy UFA Bears
Peprah, Charlie UFA Cowboys
Phillips, Kenny UFA Giants
Quin, Glover UFA Texans
Reed, Edd UFA Ravens
Sanders, James UFA Cardinals
Sanford, Jamarca UFA Vikings
Sensabaugh, Gerald UFA Cowboys
Smith, Eric UFA Jets
Spievey, Amari RFA Lions
Stewart, Darian RFA Rams
Ventrone, Raymond UFA Browns
Williams, Madieu UFA Redskins
Wilson, Adrian UFA Cardinals
Woodson, Charles UFA Packers

pittstang5
03-12-2013, 11:02 AM
Adrian Wilson...hmm.

Maybe?

Smeefers
03-12-2013, 05:14 PM
Ed Reed would be at the bottom of my list, unless we can give him cedric benson money... which we won't be able to. If I'm going to pay for a guy, I want a younger fella like Wilson or Goldson.

Joemailman
03-12-2013, 05:43 PM
Ed Reed would be at the bottom of my list, unless we can give him cedric benson money... which we won't be able to. If I'm going to pay for a guy, I want a younger fella like Wilson or Goldson.

You want Goldson then, since Reed and Wilson are about the same age.

MadtownPacker
03-12-2013, 05:56 PM
Just get someone to teach Phillip Thomas when TT drafts him.

red
03-12-2013, 06:00 PM

well thats great, cause a guy like goldsonis probably gonna get 8 or 9 million a year if not more.

reed has more talent and leadership ability in his left nut then either of those two and will probably cost less then half of what those two get and you might only have to give him a 1 or 2 year deal

he would be a stop-gap, he would be a good signing because he is head and shoulders better then anyone else we have at safety and any of the safties in the draft

Smeefers
03-13-2013, 08:50 AM
well thats great, cause a guy like goldsonis probably gonna get 8 or 9 million a year if not more.

reed has more talent and leadership ability in his left nut then either of those two and will probably cost less then half of what those two get and you might only have to give him a 1 or 2 year deal

he would be a stop-gap, he would be a good signing because he is head and shoulders better then anyone else we have at safety and any of the safties in the draft

Do you really think Reed is only going to command 4 mil a year? If that's so, I'd sign him in a heartbeat.

Packers4Glory
03-13-2013, 10:16 AM
He'd be a nice add for a season. Maybe you draft another guy and let the current guys learn a trick or 2 from the master. Reed might be a nice fit also because he will be cheaper. This team is a super bowl contender and this would probably help push them closer.....as would another tackle to compliment Bulaga. Screw this spending a lot on a RB.

HarveyWallbangers
03-13-2013, 10:56 AM
Reed will be 35 in September. Big name, play has fallen off, will completely fall off in the next year or two (see Donald Driver). No thanks.

Zool
03-13-2013, 11:01 AM
Reed will be 35 in September. Big name, play has fallen off, will completely fall off in the next year or two (see Donald Driver). No thanks.

At least he still leads with his head on most tackles, gets fined and suspended, then complains to the media and gets his fines reduced and his suspension lifted.

No

Thanks

King Friday
03-13-2013, 12:15 PM
There are numerous other options in FA that would serve a team better than Reed...like some others have said, he's entering Donald Driver circa-2011 territory.

pbmax
03-13-2013, 12:28 PM
Just get someone to teach Phillip Thomas when TT drafts him.

Please tell me his full name is Phillip Michael Thomas, Jr. :lol:

Packers4Glory
03-13-2013, 03:07 PM
He's still one of the best in the lg and you won't have to commit long term to him. He's a stopgap fix while you develop someone behind him for a yr or 2.

LEWCWA
03-13-2013, 03:22 PM
I'd prefer bringing Woodson back in this capacity than Reed.

MadtownPacker
03-13-2013, 04:08 PM
You bitches talking that shit probably said the same thing about Woodson before he was signed.

HarveyWallbangers
03-13-2013, 04:13 PM
Woodson was 28 or 29 when he signed with us. Reed will be 35 soon. If you are going this route, might as well bring back Woodson instead. At least, he knows the system.

Guiness
03-13-2013, 04:18 PM
Woodson was 28 or 29 when he signed with us. Reed will be 35 soon. If you are going this route, might as well bring back Woodson instead. At least, he knows the system.

And there was a fair amount of talk about Reed not being the player he was...much like Woodson. He didn't stick his nose in on run support, prefering to play center field. In that respect, Woodson is better right now.

This guy reminds me of the last 'one more year' pro-bowler we signed on defense...Hardy Nickerson!

Fritz
03-13-2013, 04:24 PM

I always wondered if talent and leadership ability were housed in the left nut.

woodbuck27
03-13-2013, 04:36 PM

It looks to me as if he might be enjoying the prospects on the west coast now. There is little reasonable likelihood that Charles Woodson is returning to the Green Bay Packers.

He did very well with us and at his age it's reasonable to speculate that he wants to increase his profile (to become a HOFer) and win another Super Bowl ASAP. He may? see that opportunity is most realistic with a NFCW team.

http://www.fox11online.com/dpp/sports/packers_and_nfl/safety-charles-woodson-set-to-meet-with-49ers

pbmax
03-13-2013, 07:16 PM
Per PFT, Goldson's deal has:

five-year deal has a total value of $41.25 million, with $22 million guaranteed

That guarantee number will mean "any money we could remotely call guaranteed without getting arrested" whether its likely to be collected or not.

Packers4Glory
03-13-2013, 07:51 PM
He's already a better option than what we have in house for next yr or anyone we would draft.

I wouldn't mind Woodson back in that capacity but he's not the safety Reed is now. Reed would bring a lil more nastiness that this defense needs. This defense needs an infusion of new culture. Seems way way too soft in my opinion.

RashanGary
03-13-2013, 08:07 PM
Yep, Reed is a first ballot HOFer. He'd be a better signing than Jeff Saturday was last year. Saturday isn't one of the all time great NFL lineman. Reed is one of the all time great secondary players in NFL history. And he still plays like it.

WTF is going on here. . . . People pissing on the idea of Steven Jackson or Ed Reed. Do you guys think we're really that good?

Packers4Glory
03-13-2013, 08:17 PM
Yep, Reed is a first ballot HOFer. He'd be a better signing than Jeff Saturday was last year. Saturday isn't one of the all time great NFL lineman. Reed is one of the all time great secondary players in NFL history. And he still plays like it.

WTF is going on here. . . . People pissing on the idea of Steven Jackson or Ed Reed. Do you guys think we're really that good?
Safety is a real need. It's a need that a defense can't just fill w/ anyone. It's a key spot on a football team in a passing league. miscommunication and poor instincts lead to big plays and scores.

Bretsky
03-13-2013, 09:07 PM

Homerism and defend GB at all costs mentality is running a wild :)

I'd take either at a fair price and both would be significant upgrades. Both would be signed to a short term deal and neither will break the bank. I'd bet Burnett would learn a ton from Ed Reed.

red
03-13-2013, 09:13 PM
i should add that i made this thread up out of thin air

nowhere has there been any mention of ed reed and green bay in the same sentence

if was a "how about?" thread

no need for people to get their panties all bunched up in their vaginas over this

HarveyWallbangers
03-13-2013, 09:15 PM
Defend Thompson at all costs. Blah, blah, blah.

Nobody said they wouldn't want Steven Jackson. I said I wouldn't want him for $7-8M/year. My point is that I doubt it would take $7-8M/year to get him. If it did, I wouldn't want him.

Bretsky, you said you'd take Jackson at a reasonable price. How about 3y at $7-8M/year? Would you want him for that? Right now, if he were asking for that, would you give it to him?

Bretsky
03-13-2013, 09:22 PM
Defend Thompson at all costs. Blah, blah, blah.

Nobody said they wouldn't want Steven Jackson. I said I wouldn't want him for $7-8M/year. My point is that I doubt it would take $7-8M/year to get him. If it did, I wouldn't want him.

Bretsky, you said you'd take Jackson at a reasonable price. How about 3y at $7-8M/year? Would you want him for that? Right now, if he were asking for that, would you give it to him?

No, I don't think he's asking near to 7-8 MIL/yr mark nor will he get it. Do you have any sources indicating thit ?

Would I take him at Reggie Bush money ? No Brainer. That sacrifices little to nothing with future signings.

On the NFL Network they make it sound like Atlanta is not interested in S Jackson because they are going young at that position.

Perhaps TT is being smart if he is bluffing; in the past when TT has went to the Poker table.....good or bad....the deals seem to not get closed

HarveyWallbangers
03-13-2013, 10:57 PM
No, I don't think he's asking near to 7-8 MIL/yr mark nor will he get it. Do you have any sources indicating thit ?

Why would I need a source? I'm responding to JH's post:

If Jackson's going rate is 7M/year over 3 years, I don't know why we shouldn't match it or even beat it by a little. He's one of the greatest backs of this era, he wants to be here and he's a perfect fit.

He's saying he'd give him $7M/year or more, if that's what it takes. He's acting like we are "retarded" because most of us wouldn't give Jackson that much. Then, you come prancing on to deliver your blind homerism rant.

woodbuck27
03-13-2013, 11:51 PM
Why would I need a source? I'm responding to JH's post:

He's saying he'd give him $7M/year or more, if that's what it takes. He's acting like we are "retarded" because most of us wouldn't give Jackson that much. Then, you come prancing on to deliver your blind homerism rant.

This isn't about any blind homerism.This is about the fact that the Green Pay Packers are slipping and if you can't see that! Then we can discuss 'homerism'.

This is all about 'Free Agency' and the very important early start to that. As fans please forgive us if sometimes we demonstrate some restlessness. We cannot always act 'super cool' like Ted Thompson.This is about hoping for once that Ted Thompson gets a couple of solid deals done in an assertive fashion. It's been awhile since we've enjoyed seeing him get there. Charles Woodson and Ryan Pickett are 'light years ago' to the average fan.

This is about Packer fans and hope. Hope that Ted Thompson stops playing it like Howard Hughes. That he can demonstrate some personality and turn out the welcome mat for a couple of bonafide 'star' players. Definite upgrades in positions of need that would allow us all to feel like legitimate Super Bowl contenders. To act as any serious GM must and upgrade the Green Bay Packers 'of course' reasonably and again... assertively. To not satisfy all of us but 'simply' most of us.

This is about Ted Thompson rolling the dice and not acting so content with that 'noone knows what I'm thinking' style of his. That's old and only has one impact on the team bordering on, or rendering stagnation.

We are all very aware of Ted Thompson's need to protect the CAP; to provide a means to retain our top players. That he will soon face 'crunch time' in terms of retaining Rodgers, Matthews and maybe BJ Raji. We should also be aware that we're slipping behind other teams in the NFC that are hell bent to improve already potent rosters. It should be clearly obvious that the Green Bay Packers need upgrades that are available in Free Agency that for next season arn't available to Ted Thompson in this upcoming draft.

Ted Thompson has to demonstrate to Packer fans that he can act in a manner that makes players desire to play in Green Bay.That isn't going to get done as long as Ted Thompson hides in his office or generally acts so mysteriously. In fairness to Ted Thompson and in terms of his style. His FA period really may be begining tomorrow or even after the weekend. If there's one thing Packer fans must be in regards to Ted Thompson it's 'patient'. ;-)

I'm being very fair and polite here. Why did I post this? Because I really care.

GO PACK GO !

woodbuck27
03-15-2013, 02:20 PM
http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2013/03/15/ed-reed-leaves-texans-visit-without-a-deal/

Ed Reed leaves Texans visit without a deal.

Posted by Josh Alper on March 15, 2013, 3:00 PM EDT

" The NFL Network reports that Reed has wrapped up his meeting with the team without signing a contract and that there is “nothing expected” to happen on the contract front on Friday. That doesn’t mean there won’t eventually be a deal, however.

Aaron Wilson of the Baltimore Sun reports that “heavy” interest remains on both sides and that Reed has “other responsibilities” outside of visiting with the team that need attention. Wilson spoke to a source who believes Reed will shop around any offer he received from the Texans while predicting that he will ultimately wind up playing in Houston in 2013." Fr. LINK

woodbuck27
03-18-2013, 11:48 AM
http://www.baltimoreravens.com/videos/videos/CSN-Ed-Reed-Speaks-On-Possibility-Of-Returning/5ba1dcc4-f33c-4822-9002-ddf04c857a77

Comment woodbuck27:

After visit to the Houston Texan's Ed Reed talks about the possibility of returning to Baltimore; says he's surprized at just how many of his former teammates have left for other teams.

Spaulding
03-18-2013, 12:37 PM
This isn't about any blind homerism.This is about the fact that the Green Pay Packers are slipping and if you can't see that! Then we can discuss 'homerism'.

This is all about 'Free Agency' and the very important early start to that. As fans please forgive us if sometimes we demonstrate some restlessness. We cannot always act 'super cool' like Ted Thompson.This is about hoping for once that Ted Thompson gets a couple of solid deals done in an assertive fashion. It's been awhile since we've enjoyed seeing him get there. Charles Woodson and Ryan Pickett are 'light years ago' to the average fan.

This is about Packer fans and hope. Hope that Ted Thompson stops playing it like Howard Hughes. That he can demonstrate some personality and turn out the welcome mat for a couple of bonafide 'star' players. Definite upgrades in positions of need that would allow us all to feel like legitimate Super Bowl contenders. To act as any serious GM must and upgrade the Green Bay Packers 'of course' reasonably and again... assertively. To not satisfy all of us but 'simply' most of us.

This is about Ted Thompson rolling the dice and not acting so content with that 'noone knows what I'm thinking' style of his. That's old and only has one impact on the team bordering on, or rendering stagnation.

We are all very aware of Ted Thompson's need to protect the CAP; to provide a means to retain our top players. That he will soon face 'crunch time' in terms of retaining Rodgers, Matthews and maybe BJ Raji. We should also be aware that we're slipping behind other teams in the NFC that are hell bent to improve already potent rosters. It should be clearly obvious that the Green Bay Packers need upgrades that are available in Free Agency that for next season arn't available to Ted Thompson in this upcoming draft.

Ted Thompson has to demonstrate to Packer fans that he can act in a manner that makes players desire to play in Green Bay.That isn't going to get done as long as Ted Thompson hides in his office or generally acts so mysteriously. In fairness to Ted Thompson and in terms of his style. His FA period really may be begining tomorrow or even after the weekend. If there's one thing Packer fans must be in regards to Ted Thompson it's 'patient'. ;-)

I'm being very fair and polite here. Why did I post this? Because I really care.

GO PACK GO !

Honestly not sure why I'm even bothering to respond to this but felt compelled as your statement if filled with flaws.

I've bolded some of what I view to incorrect assertions. In hindsight I probably should have highlighted the entire post.

1) How are we slipping? We've lost the following:

- aging Woodson whose lost a step, is a major injury rise and was extremely overpaid for current production level

- Walden (grossly overpaid by Indy and a role player)

- Crabtree (decent special teamer and sub as TE but hardly anything to cry about the loss)

- Jennings (arguable our toughest loss but overpaid by the Vikes and position we're already deep at and where the money saved is expected to be used to extend our two elite players)

2) How is being conservative in FA being "super cool?" TT has been lauded as one of the best GM's in football and has rebuilt the francise from the days of Sherman into a consistent contender and recent SB winner. Would you rather have a GM like Dan Snyder or Jerry Jones who throws money around like candy and are currently in cap hell? The Super Bowl isn't won in March and history indicates (see Philly and the Dream team) that past Super Bowl winners were won threw solid drafts and player development and not splashy signings.

3) Lost me on the reference about Howard Hughes. Is TT branching out into aviation?

4) Several factors can affect where players want to play. If money is the overriding factor then likely Green Bay isn't going to be their destination - so what. Again contending teams draft and develop and then PAY their own players. Who knows a players attitude, work ethic, skills and injury situation better than their current employer? TT has proven that if you work hard and play well for the Packers that you've got a great chance to be rewarded. Short of Jennings this year, who was the last Packer great that we lost that we still needed?

Guess the 2012 season will vindicate your or me. Anxious to find out. Draft can't come soon enough.

woodbuck27
03-18-2013, 02:30 PM
Honestly not sure why I'm even bothering to respond to this but felt compelled as your statement if filled with flaws.

I've bolded some of what I view to incorrect assertions. In hindsight I probably should have highlighted the entire post.

1) How are we slipping? We've lost the following:

- aging Woodson whose lost a step, is a major injury rise and was extremely overpaid for current production level

- Walden (grossly overpaid by Indy and a role player)

- Crabtree (decent special teamer and sub as TE but hardly anything to cry about the loss)

- Jennings (arguable our toughest loss but overpaid by the Vikes and position we're already deep at and where the money saved is expected to be used to extend our two elite players)

2) How is being conservative in FA being "super cool?" TT has been lauded as one of the best GM's in football and has rebuilt the francise from the days of Sherman into a consistent contender and recent SB winner. Would you rather have a GM like Dan Snyder or Jerry Jones who throws money around like candy and are currently in cap hell? The Super Bowl isn't won in March and history indicates (see Philly and the Dream team) that past Super Bowl winners were won threw solid drafts and player development and not splashy signings.

3) Lost me on the reference about Howard Hughes. Is TT branching out into aviation?

4) Several factors can affect where players want to play. If money is the overriding factor then likely Green Bay isn't going to be their destination - so what. Again contending teams draft and develop and then PAY their own players. Who knows a players attitude, work ethic, skills and injury situation better than their current employer? TT has proven that if you work hard and play well for the Packers that you've got a great chance to be rewarded. Short of Jennings this year, who was the last Packer great that we lost that we still needed?

Guess the 2012 season will vindicate your or me. Anxious to find out. Draft can't come soon enough.

" I've bolded some of what I view to incorrect assertions. In hindsight I probably should have highlighted the entire post. " Spaulding

You didn't do that or treated the post with some decency or respect and so we are in a discussion. To go to option two leaves you and I in 'nowhere land'. That option places us in the pits of disregard/disrespect usually derived from ignorance and/or arrogance. Instead we're entering some form of respectful discussion. I believe that's a prime focus of why we should enjoy a forum Spaulding. To learn and grow from one another.

RE: 1 and 2.

You list the players we have lost from last seasons roster and defend TT in terms those loss's. OK and I agree with you.

Re: Ted Thompson Green Bay Packer GM and Free Agency.

Since that man became our GM it's seldom been for me Hooorahhh ! Ted !!! In Free Agency. I don't want the world man from TT in Free Agency. I just desire a little bit more from him. An attitude on his part that demonstrates a certain real interest in terms of obvious team needs. Frankly Ted Thompson treats Free Agency like he's unprepared for it or as an after thought. His 'bargain basement' approach to Free Agency is like pissing into the wind.

I react to Ted Thompson's 'Super Cool' approach to FA 'as 'the Packer fan'.

Excuse this TRUTH. I'm envious and want to be excited like the fans of San Francisco, Seattle and Atlanta. All teams that are deemed by 'the Experts' on 'Odds' and being the Super Bowl Champion next season'. Vegas isn't stupid, far fetched or 'out to lunch'; in terms of these odds that Vegas calculates very regularly. It costs $mega millions$ for Vegas not to be up to date 'in it's homework' and all things NFL.

Vegas tells me that San Fran, Seattle and Atlanta are 'out punching' us. Having a superior Off Season' to date. That assessment becomes easy to arrive at when the Green Bay Packers GM does 'diddly squat' to date; to upgrade any positions on our team.

Ted Thompson has the same status today, in terms of my desires of him as a Packer fan. To do something positive, in regards to taking pressure off of his draft.

As a fan I can have such desires. As a fan I'm allowed to be concerned. As a fan I can care.

RE: 3 "Lost me on the reference about Howard Hughes. Is TT branching out into aviation?" Spaulding

Howard Hughes was many things, positive. He's was also remembered for his eccentric behavior and reclusive lifestyle. Ted Thompson in my observation is 'a mystery man' and 'of course' his position demands that he cannot completely stay in hiding. I do see that he's somewhat reclusive and aloof. Sorry but as a fan I can't hook up with that aloofness. I hope that's OK.

In terms of having an outgoing personality and my feeling that Ted Thompson is lacking PR skills. Evidence of that has been before us since he became the Green Bay Packer GM. He certainly is lacking when it comes to 'closing a possible move'. Maybe he's easily set up or somehow naive?

Sorry if that seems harsh. I'm again merely a fan and therefore do not have first hand personal knowledge of Ted Thompson the 'Real Person'.

I simply always hope that he'll do something (again) in Free Agency that will allow me to applaud him and in this aspect of managing the 'off season'.

RE: 4

" Several factors can affect where players want to play. If money is the overriding factor then likely Green Bay isn't going to be their destination - so what. Again contending teams draft and develop and then PAY their own players. Who knows a players attitude, work ethic, skills and injury situation better than their current employer? TT has proven that if you work hard and play well for the Packers that you've got a great chance to be rewarded. Short of Jennings this year, who was the last Packer great that we lost that we still needed? " Spaulding

For the most part how could I disagree with the above.

"Short of Jennings this year, who was the last Packer great that we lost that we still needed?" Spaulding

With all respect Spaulding. For me to touch that would be counter productive, as it's about the past. I wrote my original post about how I felt 'on that day', about 'now'. About Ted Thompson 'in the now'. What is Ted Thomopson doing today to use the Free Agency period to attain some quality player.... NOT PLAYER (s) to help our team's roster for need.

You don't draft for need. That's what you can utilize FA for.

You can utilize Free Agency as a means to contract a season'd and skilled player that suits our teams system and provides a solid fit for need. There have to be upgrades available in FA. Of course noone here wants Ted Thompson to handcuff our future by bringing in over priced 'long in the tooth' FA's. Yet I really hope for and feel that he can do more.

If he treats this period with due diligence he takes alot of pressure off of his draft.

I hope this somehow allows you to better understand me as simply 'the Green Bay Packer fan'. I do not ever want to give anyone at Packerrats the impression that I have the answers and can do it better than Ted Thompson. As a fan and observing that man I really feel that he can 'do more'.

GO PACK GO !

Spaulding
03-18-2013, 02:56 PM
Woodbuck, I'm mostly clear now on the basis for your post. Will have to respectfully disagree though. So many implications to signing a high priced FA that can affect obviously first and foremost the cap but locker room chemistry as well, not mention existing player development. Our team overall is in a pretty good position. We definitely have some weaknesses but nothing that signing one high priced veteran is going to solve.

I'll withhold judgement on the roster until after the draft and close of free agency at training camp.

woodbuck27
03-18-2013, 03:24 PM
Woodbuck, I'm mostly clear now on the basis for your post. Will have to respectfully disagree though. So many implications to signing a high priced FA that can affect obviously first and foremost the cap but locker room chemistry as well, not mention existing player development. Our team overall is in a pretty good position. We definitely have some weaknesses but nothing that signing one high priced veteran is going to solve.

I'll withhold judgement on the roster until after the draft and close of free agency at training camp.

Well what can I write back on that one but with 'the Classic Good Ole'...

" Then ... we must agree to disagree."

The approach often and by far 'the best'; when 'black and white' cannot agree >>> to gray.

woodbuck27
03-19-2013, 09:27 PM
http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2013/03/19/report-texans-offer-reed-three-years-at-4-million-per-year/

Report: Texans offer Reed three years at around $4 million per year.

Posted by Josh Alper on March 19, 2013, 5:51 PM EDT

wist43
03-20-2013, 01:19 AM
I'm usually cheerleading for a FA signing or two most years, but this year is different. I don't think we're close enough to being a contender to justify bringing in any UFA's that would be on the downside in 2-3 years, by which time maybe we could be a contender again.

Our offensive and defensive lines are so weak, that it will take more than 1 or 2 years to build them up - if TT has any inclination to throw more resources at them to begin with. TT has invested a few high picks on the lines, but as of last year he wasn't getting much production out of those draft choices. He's always saying his plan is to grow and improve from within, and he is the most draftcentric GM in the league; which is fine to a certain extent, but what do you do when you're missing on the draft picks??

TT has his fingers crossed on too many guys. Sherrod, Neal, Worthy, Perry, EDS, Lang, Bulaga, Barclay, Newhouse... TT needs all of those guys to be legit NFL starters to have any chance of competing with SF, SEA, et al; and the fact is that none of them have shown much. I'm guardedly optimistic about Perry, and maybe Bulaga; but all of the rest of them are pretty shaky starters.

Why sign a guy like Reed when he'll probably only play another 2 years at most?? The real problem on this team is in the trenches. TT needs to fix both the offensive and defensive lines before we can be considered a contender.

Rutnstrut
03-20-2013, 08:51 AM
I'm usually cheerleading for a FA signing or two most years, but this year is different. I don't think we're close enough to being a contender to justify bringing in any UFA's that would be on the downside in 2-3 years, by which time maybe we could be a contender again.

Our offensive and defensive lines are so weak, that it will take more than 1 or 2 years to build them up - if TT has any inclination to throw more resources at them to begin with. TT has invested a few high picks on the lines, but as of last year he wasn't getting much production out of those draft choices. He's always saying his plan is to grow and improve from within, and he is the most draftcentric GM in the league; which is fine to a certain extent, but what do you do when you're missing on the draft picks??

TT has his fingers crossed on too many guys. Sherrod, Neal, Worthy, Perry, EDS, Lang, Bulaga, Barclay, Newhouse... TT needs all of those guys to be legit NFL starters to have any chance of competing with SF, SEA, et al; and the fact is that none of them have shown much. I'm guardedly optimistic about Perry, and maybe Bulaga; but all of the rest of them are pretty shaky starters.

Why sign a guy like Reed when he'll probably only play another 2 years at most?? The real problem on this team is in the trenches. TT needs to fix both the offensive and defensive lines before we can be considered a contender.

I like this post, very realistic. Not like most on here that feel all the Pack needs is to pay Rodgers and Mathews more money and they will become mutants that play every position at once. I don't share your optimism in TT developing all the Packers needs through the draft, but otherwise you are spot on imo.

3irty1
03-20-2013, 09:48 AM

The problem is that we keep getting superfucked by injuries. Young players getting season-ending injuries hinders their development and screws the team out of one of the precious few cheap years on their rookie contract. This has gone on for so long that every year we essentially have a class of 2nd and 3rd year rookies to join our other rookies. The personnel is there to solidify these units, but never get on the field. Ted's not going to sign Jake Long or draft another LT when Sherrod is still the future at left tackle. And you're just plain wrong about Lang, he's a high quality starter.

An offensive line of: Sherrod-Lang-EDS-Sitton-Bulaga is a very good unit. Possibly as good as its ever been under Thompson.

On the defensive line we look ok too, and would look even better if Worthy were physically able to develop. Pickett-Raji-Wilson are stout against the run, Neal and Daniels are very good interior pass rushers and good enough against the run to rotate. Worthy probably won't play a down this year but Jolly could well be an upgrade anyways. If this unit stays healthy this year its better than its ever been. If CJ Wilson is the closest thing you've got to deadwood then you've got a great unit.

The linebackers have been what's killed us in the trenches in the past but I don't think we're 2 or 3 years away from quality there either. As of now you're looking at a starting lineup of Matthews-Hawk-Bishop-Perry. That's as good as its ever been under Capers.

wist43
03-20-2013, 12:39 PM
The problem is that we keep getting superfucked by injuries. Young players getting season-ending injuries hinders their development and screws the team out of one of the precious few cheap years on their rookie contract. This has gone on for so long that every year we essentially have a class of 2nd and 3rd year rookies to join our other rookies. The personnel is there to solidify these units, but never get on the field. Ted's not going to sign Jake Long or draft another LT when Sherrod is still the future at left tackle. And you're just plain wrong about Lang, he's a high quality starter.

An offensive line of: Sherrod-Lang-EDS-Sitton-Bulaga is a very good unit. Possibly as good as its ever been under Thompson.

On the defensive line we look ok too, and would look even better if Worthy were physically able to develop. Pickett-Raji-Wilson are stout against the run, Neal and Daniels are very good interior pass rushers and good enough against the run to rotate. Worthy probably won't play a down this year but Jolly could well be an upgrade anyways. If this unit stays healthy this year its better than its ever been. If CJ Wilson is the closest thing you've got to deadwood then you've got a great unit.

The linebackers have been what's killed us in the trenches in the past but I don't think we're 2 or 3 years away from quality there either. As of now you're looking at a starting lineup of Matthews-Hawk-Bishop-Perry. That's as good as its ever been under Capers.

I think we're watching two different teams. The injury defense is certanly valid though.

I like a lot of the players, only problem is they are miscast in a 3-4, and Capers has pigeon shit in his eyes. Raji is not a NT, and routinely gets turned and buckled more snaps than not, not to mention the fact that he is overused and burned out b/c there is no quality depth to rotate him with; Wilson is semi-okay against the run, but is maxed out with a low ceiling; Neal, Worthy and Daniels are young and have shown flashes here in and there, but we've gotten nothing consistent from them.

As for the OL - you're way too optimistic about that group. Lang has okay, but just okay. Newhouse needs to be replaced; Sherrod looked nothing short of horrible every time we saw him when he was on the field; EDS needs to be replaced.

That's 3 of the 5 positions on the offensive line where you're "just okay" or worse. Of the 5 spots only Sitton at LG is providing the calibur of play necessary to compete with the big boys.

The Packers routinely get pushed around on both sides of the LOS. We've gotten away with it b/c Rodgers is the show, and if we get off to a lead the opposing team abandons the run in an effort to keep up. That formula works fine against Jacksonville - not so successful against SF, NY, et al.

3irty1
03-20-2013, 01:25 PM
I think we're watching two different teams. The injury defense is certanly valid though.

I like a lot of the players, only problem is they are miscast in a 3-4, and Capers has pigeon shit in his eyes. Raji is not a NT, and routinely gets turned and buckled more snaps than not, not to mention the fact that he is overused and burned out b/c there is no quality depth to rotate him with; Wilson is semi-okay against the run, but is maxed out with a low ceiling; Neal, Worthy and Daniels are young and have shown flashes here in and there, but we've gotten nothing consistent from them.

As for the OL - you're way too optimistic about that group. Lang has okay, but just okay. Newhouse needs to be replaced; Sherrod looked nothing short of horrible every time we saw him when he was on the field; EDS needs to be replaced.

That's 3 of the 5 positions on the offensive line where you're "just okay" or worse. Of the 5 spots only Sitton at LG is providing the calibur of play necessary to compete with the big boys.

The Packers routinely get pushed around on both sides of the LOS. We've gotten away with it b/c Rodgers is the show, and if we get off to a lead the opposing team abandons the run in an effort to keep up. That formula works fine against Jacksonville - not so successful against SF, NY, et al.

I'll agree with you that EDS isn't going to be mistaken for a pro bowler anytime soon but certainly plays up to his level of competition and is a very good system fit. Regardless, you will see C addressed in the draft as you can't well have just one on the roster. I think the main struggles with Lang is that he played in the shit-sandwich of Saturday and Newhouse last year. I don't dislike Newhouse as a backup at all, but he was the worst starting left tackle in the NFL last year and Saturday was the worst center. Lang, however is a solid all-around player. I wish we had more of him. As for Sherrod the way I remember it he had an awful preseason debut at LG and deemed a Tackle only not unlike Newhouse. But when injuries to Clifton and Bulaga pressed him into service against Atlanta he came in at tackle and looked like a giant smothering 1st round talent. Against KC Tamba Hali gave him some fits before breaking his leg but that's why Tamba Hali is a probowler. The only thing stopping Sherrod from taking that left tackle job and never giving it back is this nasty leg injury. The way I see it Sherrod can't possibly be worse. It'll take longer to run around Sherrod than it will to beat Newhouse inside.

On defense I hear you as well. My point is that we seem to be turning a corner on the DL. Neal finally overcame injuries and produced legitimately. Daniels was a pleasant surprise although he is also limited physically. Worthy is the new Neal but at least Jolly is back. I too feel like Raji is such a good 1-gapper that it seems like a waste to leave him on the field all the time at NT but he and Pickett do make a nice tandem in that 2-4. Of course your hate for the 2-4 is well documented.

pbmax
03-20-2013, 01:48 PM
The great unknown about Lang was his elbow injury. No one knows how severe it was.

Joemailman
03-20-2013, 07:08 PM
As for Sherrod the way I remember it he had an awful preseason debut at LG and deemed a Tackle only not unlike Newhouse. But when injuries to Clifton and Bulaga pressed him into service against Atlanta he came in at tackle and looked like a giant smothering 1st round talent. Against KC Tamba Hali gave him some fits before breaking his leg but that's why Tamba Hali is a probowler. The only thing stopping Sherrod from taking that left tackle job and never giving it back is this nasty leg injury. The way I see it Sherrod can't possibly be worse. It'll take longer to run around Sherrod than it will to beat Newhouse inside.

For the record, on the injury play, I'm pretty sure Hali had beaten Newhouse and slammed into the back of Sherrod's leg. If Sherrod is recovered from the injury, he should be able to beat out Newhouse. He's the most natural LT the Packers have by far.

KYPack
03-20-2013, 08:50 PM
For the record, on the injury play, I'm pretty sure Hali had beaten Newhouse and slammed into the back of Sherrod's leg. If Sherrod is recovered from the injury, he should be able to beat out Newhouse. He's the most natural LT the Packers have by far.

You got it, Joe.

Sherrod was playing RT in that game.

He played really well, the kid has a very natural kick step.

Then came that freak play.

If he can play well this season it could really set up our OLine.

This year is the equivalent of his 3rd rookie year.

(PS, Ed Reed will be getting his mail in Houston now)

pbmax
03-21-2013, 07:48 AM
Also, I think Sherrod was pressed into service mid-game the week previously (Wash? can't seem to remember). After a rough play or two to start, he really settled in and did nothing to get noticed for the rest of the game. You know, in that good for an offensive lineman kind of way.

woodbuck27
03-21-2013, 11:22 AM

AMen...that's the TRUTH.

I believe that realistic Packer fans are realizing this. It's obvious that San Fran, Seattle and Atlanta are re-tooling for more strength in the 2013 season. That the Green Bay Packers are falling behind those organizations as best bets to go to the Super Bowl. Ted Thompson realistically can't be concerned. He has other fish to fry. Any serious interest in free agency is on the other 31 teams in the NFL. It's not Ted's way. Ted Thompson heats up in the draft. He'll assure our teams future as continual playoff contenders, maybe. Ted Thompson will continue to do all he can to get our team back to the playoffs. After that who knows? How many experts had us winning the Super Bowl late in 2010? Had the Baltimore Ravens winning this past season? Had the New York GIANTS winning over the NE Patriots in 2008? You get into the playoffs and roll the dice.

That's one angle on 'the big sell' now.

Realistically, it will be another few seasons, before we may read about the Green Bay Packers and winning their fifth Lombardi Trophy. Realistically, you might consider these comments and Green Bay Packer direction.

As Packer fans we should hope that the Salary CAP is raised pronto!

As soon as August we'll be reading about Aaron Rodgers, 'huge' $50 million$ plus guranteed - $100 million$ plus contract extention. Aaron Rodgers is destined to become the next highest paid NFL player, sometime soon. How many Packer fans will cheer that news? How many Packer fans will declare that as, 'living proof' of TT's drafting genious? Of 'living proof' of Aaron Rodgers and his status as 'a great NFL QB'?

How important is all that? Do we see 'the forest for the trees'?

We'll be reading of the near future similiar personally satisfying deals for Clay Matthews and BJ Raji, forthcoming. Real proof of more Ted Thompson drafting genious.

Is that news going to attract talent to Green Bay? How much of the pie will remain to field a genuine Super Bowl contender? That's the focus of truly talented NFL players. Where their desires to get a ring, meets an NFL teams needs and goals. After 'the BIG THREE' are locked up. Will Green Bay be an attractive option for any draft prospect, moreso free agent?

What will be the pay back for Ted Thompson awarding 'the BIG THREE'?

Once Aaron and Clay and BJ get that huge contract. Won't they demand more of Ted Thompson? Their needs will be more focused on personal pride and legacy. On the number of Super Bowl rings they've won. On the number of times they we're selected to the Pro Bowl. On building their resume to enter the NFL HOF.

Wist43's post nails it down. My post strikes the nail deeper.

Year after year...decade after decade the seats of Lambeau Field are sold out. Revenues from all things Green Bay Packer are strong and profits are huge. What....$47 million$ last year.

Sadly as I see it. The real news is that it could be so much more.

PACKERS !

3irty1
03-21-2013, 11:28 AM
I agree fully. The Packers are a shittier team than the 49ers, Seahawks, and Falcons. We won't be able to compete with them in the NFC unless we can replicate what has made them successful.

http://img.gawkerassets.com/img/18bp1bn1vthsypng/ku-xlarge.png

woodbuck27
03-22-2013, 01:46 PM
OK Great this is the Ed Reed thread. :lol:

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2013/03/22/reed-sad-about-leaving-ravens-but-valued-in-houston/

Reed sad about leaving Ravens, but valued in Houston

Posted by Darin Gantt on March 22, 2013, 1:03 PM EDT

woodbuck27
03-22-2013, 01:47 PM
http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2013/03/22/ravens-understand-why-reed-is-leaving/

Ravens “understand” why Reed is leaving

Posted by Mike Florio on March 22, 2013, 1:31 PM EDT

woodbuck27
03-24-2013, 10:25 AM
http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2013/03/24/ed-reed-thanks-ravens-fans-with-a-full-page-ad/

Ed Reed thanks Ravens fans with a full-page ad

Posted by Darin Gantt on March 24, 2013, 9:37 AM EDT

woodbuck27
03-24-2013, 10:29 AM
http://www.baltimoreravens.com/news/article-1/Eisenberg-Reed-Decision-Best-For-Both-Sides/25fbe2ea-7f5f-4887-bdeb-dc91aedd39b9

Eisenberg: Reed Decision Best For Both Sides ... Posted Mar 23, 2013

John Eisenberg ... BaltimoreRavens.com Columnist

All John Eisenberg Articles

woodbuck27
03-24-2013, 10:48 AM
Comment woodbuck27:

The skinny on 'a leader' and great football player. What makes Ed Reed special.

Reed more at risk than are the Texans

Buck Harve, Express-News Copyright 2013

Comment woodbuck27:

Ohh Ohh !

Express-News. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.

By Buck Harvey:

Updated 11:29 pm, Saturday, March 23, 2013

Comment woodbuck27:

Buck Harvey wants it to be kept 'a secret' what he knows about Ed Reed.

OK Buck. I'm afraid to even post a LINK.

woodbuck27
04-02-2013, 09:19 AM
Comment woodbuck27:

Where is the Ravens PR Dept.? Couldn't this crap be buried? This stuff can't be good for anyone. In the very least it should be embarrassing for (John Harbaugh and the Ravens and Ed Reed) and maybe handled with better spin.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2013/04/02/report-john-harbaugh-wanted-ed-reed-gone/

Report: John Harbaugh wanted Ed Reed gone

Posted by Michael David Smith on April 2, 2013, 6:47 AM EDT

woodbuck27
04-07-2013, 08:35 AM
Comment woodbuck27:

Where is the Ravens PR Dept.? Couldn't this crap be buried? This stuff can't be good for anyone. In the very least it should be embarrassing for (John Harbaugh and the Ravens and Ed Reed) and maybe handled with better spin.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2013/04/02/report-john-harbaugh-wanted-ed-reed-gone/

Report: John Harbaugh wanted Ed Reed gone

Posted by Michael David Smith on April 2, 2013, 6:47 AM EDT

Comment woodbuck27:

OK ... Here it is.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com...dnt-want-reed/

Ravens PR boss “pissed” at report team didn’t want Reed

Posted by Darin Gantt on April 6, 2013, 1:23 PM EDT

" In an article on the Ravens official website, senior vice president of public and community relations Kevin Byrne admits that he’s “pissed,” about the characterization that Harbaugh didn’t want the veteran safety back. His main point is that Preston characterized an opinion of his own as a fact stemming from the organization, a suggestion Byrne clearly disagrees with."

MJZiggy
04-07-2013, 08:51 PM
Comment woodbuck27:

OK ... Here it is.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com...dnt-want-reed/

Ravens PR boss “pissed” at report team didn’t want Reed

Posted by Darin Gantt on April 6, 2013, 1:23 PM EDT

" In an article on the Ravens official website, senior vice president of public and community relations Kevin Byrne admits that he’s “pissed,” about the characterization that Harbaugh didn’t want the veteran safety back. His main point is that Preston characterized an opinion of his own as a fact stemming from the organization, a suggestion Byrne clearly disagrees with."

I can be up to Baltimore to replace Preston in an hour. Just for the record, in case the team wants to go in a more reputable direction....