PDA

View Full Version : Shields gets 2nd Round Tender

KYPack
03-12-2013, 07:54 AM
So says PFT

Any team that wants Shields can sign him to an offer sheet, and if the Packers don’t match it, that team would get Shields and the Packers would get that team’s second-round draft pick.

The high tender means Sudden Sam will most likely stay a Packer.

Should we put these tender offers in one thread?

pbmax
03-12-2013, 08:15 AM
Sounds good. EDS got the low tender. Right to match only.

I think he stays. Unlike Shields, no outstanding talent to draw attention. He will appear replacement level to most teams and that isn't worth over $1.3 mil.

pbmax
03-12-2013, 10:34 AM
Agent for Robet Francois says no tender forthcoming but negotiations continue for deal with Pack.

Rob Demovsky Twitter
The agent for LB Robert Francois said the #Packers aren't going to tender him. But they're still trying to work out a deal.

pbmax
03-12-2013, 10:38 AM
Silverstein says Crabtree and Zombo will not get tenders either.

Packers want Crab back but want to pay him between $630,000 vet minimum and $1.3 mil low tender. Silverstein says he might attract an outside offer better than that.

Can't argue with this for Zombo. Crab might get a offer elsewhere, but I don't think he is as valuable a backup as Bush was when he got a big ST contract form the Titans. Only takes one though.

http://www.jsonline.com/blogs/sports/197381281.html?utm_medium=twitter&utm_source=twitterfeed

Patler
03-12-2013, 11:14 AM
The roster spots that guys like Crabtree, Zombo, Francois etc. hold have to be low paid. They are solid ST performers, but not star performers.

I liked Zombo as a rookie, but he really has not played much since. I'm not sure he is even worth the vet minimum to the Packers at this point His spot might be a good one to fill with a rookie. Same with Francois. They might sign both for camp, but I doubt both make the final roster.

Crabtree has value on offense, so easily justifies a vet minimum salary and maybe a bit more, unless the Packers are really hurting for cap space.

Guiness
03-12-2013, 11:31 AM
Agreed on those evaluations Patler. Crabtree has progressed as a player, and has become one of those guys who shows up for work and the team knows what they are getting. An important role player.

Zombo had a lot of promise, but can't stay on the field.

Guiness
03-12-2013, 11:32 AM
We'll see what happens with Sheilds. I'm not certain the second round tender will deter all suitors. If a GM out there thinks he's a starting CB, that's worth paying. A lot of 2nd round choices don't end up starters!

Patler
03-12-2013, 11:39 AM
We'll see what happens with Sheilds. I'm not certain the second round tender will deter all suitors. If a GM out there thinks he's a starting CB, that's worth paying. A lot of 2nd round choices don't end up starters!

This will be an interesting situation, for sure. I almost expect the Packers will have to weigh a contract match vs a 2nd round pick in the near future.

woodbuck27
03-12-2013, 11:48 AM
This will be an interesting situation, for sure. I almost expect the Packers will have to weigh a contract match vs a 2nd round pick in the near future.

Sam Shields is definitely on the radar of NFL teams. He's growing fast to be a quality player. He's quick and he can tackle.

pbmax
03-12-2013, 12:08 PM
There are a lot of CBs available who will not cost a 2nd round pick. My money is that he skates by.

Patler
03-12-2013, 12:21 PM
There are a lot of CBs available who will not cost a 2nd round pick. My money is that he skates by.

Without even getting a signed offer?

Shields hasn't had a significant payday yet. I could see him being very receptive to an offer for a short contract (3 years) with some immediate cash (3M signing bonus, 1-2 million first year salary). Could be done without a lot of downside for a team, yet give Shields his first good income hit, yet not tie him down.

pbmax
03-12-2013, 12:26 PM

Shields hasn't had a significant payday yet. I could see him being very receptive to an offer for a short contract (3 years) with some immediate cash (3M signing bonus, 1-2 million first year salary). Could be done without a lot of downside for a team, yet give Shields his first good income hit, yet not tie him down.

I don't mean to suggest he isn't looking, if that is what you took from my post. But a lot of CBs on the market and the cost of a 2nd round pick is going to put him toward the end of the line for many teams I think and he might not get an offer. Its no guarantee, if a team strikes out and needs something quick, he could land an offer. I just think the 2nd round tender this year is stronger than previous years.

red
03-12-2013, 12:29 PM
this one scares me. i don't want to lose shields, but i think other teams would gladly give up a second for him

pbmax
03-12-2013, 12:36 PM
this one scares me. i don't want to lose shields, but i think other teams would gladly give up a second for him

The Steelers just released CB Keenan Lewis without making an offer. You could construct three 10-6 playoff team from the UFAs and keep each under the cap.

Patler
03-12-2013, 12:40 PM
I don't mean to suggest he isn't looking, if that is what you took from my post. But a lot of CBs on the market and the cost of a 2nd round pick is going to put him toward the end of the line for many teams I think and he might not get an offer. Its no guarantee, if a team strikes out and needs something quick, he could land an offer. I just think the 2nd round tender this year is stronger than previous years.

I think you are right about the tender being a little stronger this year, I just think Shields has a lot going for him as a young guy, with real good NFL exposure and elite speed. Unlike some, he seems to have a knack for interceptions, too. With little experience at the position in college, there is every reason to think he can improve.

I think he is less of a risk than a typical 2nd round draft pick, especially for a team in the lower half of the 2nd round; and it won't take much of an offer to top a one year contract from GB. He's no sure thing, but a team won't have to risk a lot, either.

King Friday
03-12-2013, 05:02 PM
I agree with Max on this one...the CB position is overloaded with FAs this year. The massive salaries thrown at this position in the recent past are starting to come back to haunt teams, and a bunch of the pricey vets have gotten tossed on their cans. There are a TON of high talent veteran CBs who are free agents. Teams will likely wait out the players and hope to land someone with PROVEN Pro-Bowl caliber talent for a modest price before they go giving away high draft picks for Shields.

That doesn't mean it can't happen...but I think the chances are relatively remote unless some GM really has a hard-on for Shields. And while I agree Shields offers more than a 2nd round pick, he will also be considerably more expensive. Given the current cap situation, the high draft picks have become a valuable commodity where you have a chance to put a talented player on the roster for peanuts.

Smeefers
03-12-2013, 05:07 PM
I don't think shields is going anywhere. Nobody is going to over pay for the guy, so worst case sceneario is that we have to match a pretty fair market deal. If they do over pay, we still got Twill, House and Hayward. This is nothing to worry about.

Fritz
03-12-2013, 07:25 PM

Would the Packers be willing to match such a deal? Seems to me that's not too much for a very good starting corner.

pbmax
03-12-2013, 07:56 PM
Would the Packers be willing to match such a deal? Seems to me that's not too much for a very good starting corner.

I agree. I think the tender reflects the Packers trying to maximize available space in the hope no one calls them on it and forces them to cough up more. Do this two or three times, you have an extra 2.5 mil in cap.

pbmax
03-12-2013, 08:46 PM
So far, so good. Long way to go though.

gregg rosenthal ‏@greggrosenthal
One surprise: Cornerbacks aren't getting the money they expected.

Patler
03-12-2013, 08:55 PM

I agree. I think the tender reflects the Packers trying to maximize available space in the hope no one calls them on it and forces them to cough up more. Do this two or three times, you have an extra 2.5 mil in cap.

I absolutely think they would. But that was my point. I think he will get an offer and the Packers will have to decide what they want more, Shields at a given price against the cap, or a second round pick and more cap space.

I don't think they will lose Shields, but I think there is a good chance they will have to match a moderate contract. Nothing absurd.

Smeefers
03-13-2013, 08:48 AM
So far, so good. Long way to go though.

gregg rosenthal ‏@greggrosenthal
One surprise: Cornerbacks aren't getting the money they expected.

Is this a surprise? Corners were grossly overpaid a couple years ago and now all those corners are getting flooded back into the market. Prices are going to drop fast.

Guiness
03-13-2013, 12:01 PM
Is this a surprise? Corners were grossly overpaid a couple years ago and now all those corners are getting flooded back into the market. Prices are going to drop fast.

Those CBs getting QB money. Who thought that was a good idea???
Oh ya, Al Davis :grin: Pretty sure he was the first.

Smeefers
03-13-2013, 01:51 PM
Those CBs getting QB money. Who thought that was a good idea???
Oh ya, Al Davis :grin: Pretty sure he was the first.

Haha, you're probably right. Coaches found out that you can get along with good CB's and don't have to have a "shut down" sort of guy. Yeah, they're nice, but they're not irreplaceable. Look at the Jets. They had the best CB on the market with Revis, but with no QB, they couldn't go anywhere. Teams are starting to see this, that's why Revis, Asumgazuntites and Woodson haven't been snatched up quicker than quick.