PDA

View Full Version : Decision time on Finley fast approaching

Patler
03-12-2013, 11:01 AM
I believe he has a roster bonus of $3M due 3/27.

If anything is to happen with him, like a new contract or trade, it is likely to occur before the bonus is locked in against the 2013 cap. I think the chance that they simply do not pay it and let him walk is less likely than a new deal or a trade. Most likely, they bite the bullet, pay him and hope he truly emerges this season.

denverYooper
03-12-2013, 11:05 AM
I think you're quite likely correct here Patler. The radio silence on all sides is interesting given the historically garrulous nature of the client and agent.

woodbuck27
03-12-2013, 11:16 AM
I believe he has a roster bonus of $3M due 3/27.

If anything is to happen with him, like a new contract or trade, it is likely to occur before the bonus is locked in against the 2013 cap. I think the chance that they simply do not pay it and let him walk is less likely than a new deal or a trade. Most likely, they bite the bullet, pay him and hope he truly emerges this season.

Sure..... just a $3 million$ bet on top of the rest of his CAP hit. One more year ... another look. What 'the heck'.

We're not talking peanuts with this player. Really, what have we seen to recommend this as a sound decision Patler?

Patler
03-12-2013, 11:32 AM
I'm guessing that what the Packers would like to do the most is resign him and add 2 or 3 years after 2013. They could guarantee the roster bonus and/or pay a signing bonus to give him a little more immediate cash than the existing contract would give him, while at the same time lowering his cap hit this year and leveling out the cap hits for the next 3-4 years. I don't think they have a real good chance of doing this, because I'm not sure Finley would agree to the total value the Packers would be willing to pay.

As for just releasing him, I would give that a much greater probability if they were able to bring back Jennings. I think that is unlikely, so one way or another I expect they will keep Finley. If they do strike a deal with Jennings, letting Finley walk becomes a more likely scenario, in my opinion.

That pretty much leaves paying out the last year of his contract as the most likely.

woodbuck27
03-12-2013, 11:58 AM
I'm guessing that what the Packers would like to do the most is resign him and add 2 or 3 years after 2013. They could guarantee the roster bonus and/or pay a signing bonus to give him a little more immediate cash than the existing contract would give him, while at the same time lowering his cap hit this year and leveling out the cap hits for the next 3-4 years. I don't think they have a real good chance of doing this, because I'm not sure Finley would agree to the total value the Packers would be willing to pay.

As for just releasing him, I would give that a much greater probability if they were able to bring back Jennings. I think that is unlikely, so one way or another I expect they will keep Finley. If they do strike a deal with Jennings, letting Finley walk becomes a more likely scenario, in my opinion.

That pretty much leaves paying out the last year of his contract as the most likely.

I believe that Greg Jennings will get paid more than we have expected; too much elsewhere. That Jermichael Finley isn't going anywhere this season.

It's all been pointing to just that.

Fritz
03-12-2013, 07:38 PM
I love Jennings, but not at ten mill or nine mill or even eight mill, and not for anything longer than three years.

woodbuck27
03-18-2013, 04:36 PM
http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2013/03/18/for-finley-crabtrees-exit-helps-but-free-agency-market-hurts/

For Finley, Crabtree’s exit helps but free-agency market hurts

Posted by Mike Florio on March 18, 2013, 9:32 AM EDT

March 27th = Jermichael Finley's $4.45 million$ roster bonus day !!!

or NOT!?

$8.25 million in 2013.

red
03-18-2013, 06:38 PM
we really don't need that cap space, we have more then enough to throw at a-rod, clay and raji if they want + sign our rookies

so unless TT decides to buy some free agents (not likely) or if he gets a trade offer for some picks he just can't refuse, i just don't see the need to dump finley

even though i really don't like him and think he's way overpaid

pbmax
03-18-2013, 08:00 PM
They could still go to him if they want to dump as much cap hit into 2013 as they can. Bit tricky because I am pretty sure they won't know what they need yet, but you never know.

Bretsky
03-18-2013, 09:13 PM
I'd go to him with an offer to restructure and Extend.
Finley thinks the world of himself; I'd give him a nice guarantee but also work some nice bonus incentives in there

pbmax
03-19-2013, 08:33 AM
I'd go to him with an offer to restructure and Extend.
Finley thinks the world of himself; I'd give him a nice guarantee but also work some nice bonus incentives in there

I agree in principle, but considering that at the halfway point of last season the team was sending a rare signal through the press about dumping his keister on the street rather than pay him his bonus, wouldn't $8+ million be a cheaper bailout package for him than any new 2 or 3 year deal?

Speaking of which, who wants odds that his failure to meet with Rodgers early in the season prompted the story? Not sure if dates matchup, but eventually Rodgers had to go get him to go over questions before Game Day. I want the guy to turn it up to 11, but he hasn't done it for even one season yet.

Patler
03-19-2013, 11:00 AM
I agree in principle, but considering that at the halfway point of last season the team was sending a rare signal through the press about dumping his keister on the street rather than pay him his bonus, wouldn't $8+ million be a cheaper bailout package for him than any new 2 or 3 year deal?

I was hoping they would do something when it looked as if they might sign Jennings and release Finley. With $8+M committed to him for this year in the cap & cash plans, but with actually receiving it being uncertain for Finley, I thought they had a lot of flexibility to do a 3-5 year deal with a sizable guarantee, but in a way that wouldn't cost them much more than this year and a bit more even if the released him after a year or two.

Pugger
03-19-2013, 11:06 AM
I always figured they'd keep Finley for this last year of his contract and if he is still inconsistent then they'll either trade or more likely let him walk like they did with Jennings and take the comp pick.

Joemailman
03-25-2013, 12:02 PM
Today is decision day on Finley http://www.jsonline.com/blogs/sports/199883061.html

Packers have until 3 PM today to decide if they will pay Finley's 3M bonus.

red
03-25-2013, 01:05 PM
its kinda odd that both sides would be so silent on the matter

you'd think if the team was gonna let him go, they would have done it by now. on the flip side, if they were going to keep him, why not say they were

and you'd also think if the finley camp had been told anything they would have already announced everything

just very odd imo

woodbuck27
03-25-2013, 02:27 PM
Today is decision day on Finley http://www.jsonline.com/blogs/sports/199883061.html

Packers have until 3 PM today to decide if they will pay Finley's 3M bonus.

I'm looking at the clock and that's only about 36 minutes away.

Why are the Packers cutting this so close in terms of what they have decided?

Looking at what he will cost the CAP to retain him. If he refuses to restructure down? TT will look bad if he keeps him. The Packer players are certainly interested in every $$$$ move that TT makes.

denverYooper
03-25-2013, 02:35 PM
TT cut Finley yet?

jklowan
03-25-2013, 02:51 PM
TT cut Finley yet?

looks like something is brewing...

A source tells the Milwaukee Journal-Sentinel the Packers have expressed to Jermichael Finley's agent that they're "uncomfortable" with his $8.25 million salary.
That's hardly a surprise, but it remains unclear if the Pack will squeeze Finley to take a pay-cut at the risk of him calling their bluff and forcing his release. Finley's $3 million roster bonus is due Tuesday, so the sides will come to a resolution in short order. It's hard to see the Pack jettisoning Finley after letting Greg Jennings go to the Vikings.

rotoworld.com

denverYooper
03-25-2013, 03:04 PM
Baratz just faxed an offer.

red
03-25-2013, 03:05 PM
it doesn't seem fair that hawk would have to take a pay cut and finley wouldn't

j-fin had a very inconsistent up and down year and run his mouth a few times, he did not live up to expectations this season.

hawk, was our only LB that didn't get hurt, played at the solid level that's expected of him, kept his mouth shut (even after giving up money) and was already set to make less money then #88

if you're gonna make a player like hawk take a pay cut or take a hike, then IMO you also have to go to finley with the same deal. if you don't, it sets a really poor example imo

red
03-25-2013, 03:08 PM
well, its after the deadline.

just remember, no news means things haven't changed and he's still on the team

so we probably won't hear anything

KYPack
03-25-2013, 03:17 PM

The 27th, Red, ya dillweed, it's not done yet.

denverYooper
03-25-2013, 03:17 PM

Multiple sources are reporting that nothing has happened with Finley and he'll play this season for the eight and a quarter.

red
03-25-2013, 03:26 PM

he's due the money tomorrow, i guess at 12:01 am. if the team were going to cut him or whatever, they would have had to do it by the time the league office closes today i think. which is 4 et or 3 our time

red
03-25-2013, 03:27 PM
from rotoworld

Jermichael Finley - TE - Packers

Jermichael Finley announced on his Twitter account Monday that he will return to the Packers in 2013.
Finley thanked his agents in the tweet, indicating some negotiating took place with Packers GM Ted Thompson. Per the Milwaukee Journal-Sentinel's Ty Dunne, Finley's camp came out on top as there will be no restructuring of his contract nor pay cut. Finley will be paid a $3 million roster bonus on Wednesday, in addition to a $4.45 million salary, $300,000 workout bonus, and $500,000 in per-game roster bonuses. The total stands at $8.25 million.
Source: Jermichael Finley on Twitter
Mar 25 - 4:12 PM

run pMc
03-25-2013, 03:30 PM
They'll keep Finley and let him walk after the season. Would have preferred to see them extend him a year and drop his numbers. He had a pretty good second half to the season.

6-5 athletic TE's tend to get snapped up faster than ILBs who never cause turnovers (AJ Hawk). Not saying it's fair that Finley makes more than Hawk, but I think Hawk knew he'd be gone if he didn't agree to a reduced number, and at least TT gave him some guaranteed $ on the spot for doing it.

If you really want to shake your head in wonder, consider Finley makes more than Jordy Nelson, James Jones, and Randall Cobb combined. (Not trying to be a hater; he's a good player and I'm rooting for him but he's overpaid.)

KYPack
03-25-2013, 03:30 PM
he's due the money tomorrow, i guess at 12:01 am. if the team were going to cut him or whatever, they would have had to do it by the time the league office closes today i think. which is 4 et or 3 our time

There's a thing on PFT that says it's the 15th day of the league year. One report says it's tommorrow.

Think they'll cut the big SOB?

(Just saw yer post, mot man. so it's done, eh?)

woodbuck27
03-25-2013, 03:34 PM

I too thought that this had to be decided by the 27th March and we are discussing this 'down to the wire' thing and JF too early.

woodbuck27
03-25-2013, 03:37 PM
from rotoworld

OK so that's all she wrote on that.

JF is our #1 TE for 2013.

Pugger
03-25-2013, 04:12 PM
They'll keep Finley and let him walk after the season. Would have preferred to see them extend him a year and drop his numbers. He had a pretty good second half to the season.

6-5 athletic TE's tend to get snapped up faster than ILBs who never cause turnovers (AJ Hawk). Not saying it's fair that Finley makes more than Hawk, but I think Hawk knew he'd be gone if he didn't agree to a reduced number, and at least TT gave him some guaranteed $ on the spot for doing it.

If you really want to shake your head in wonder, consider Finley makes more than Jordy Nelson, James Jones, and Randall Cobb combined. (Not trying to be a hater; he's a good player and I'm rooting for him but he's overpaid.)

If we had to choose between Hawk and Finley who would you prefer? Me? I'll take the more athletic player. ;-)

Pugger
03-25-2013, 04:14 PM
There's a thing on PFT that says it's the 15th day of the league year. One report says it's tommorrow.

Think they'll cut the big SOB?

After Jennings left I knew Finley wasn't going anywhere. It wouldn't be good to lose both of them in one year. With the unknown status of Quarless I'm not all that comfortable with Williams or Taylor our starting TE.

MadtownPacker
03-25-2013, 04:50 PM
Damn!! TT playing hardball. Good for him. Might have help Finley if he had kept his mouth shut last year.

MadtownPacker
03-25-2013, 04:53 PM
If we had to choose between Hawk and Finley who would you prefer? Me? I'll take the more athletic player. ;-)
Hate to say it but Hawk had the better season IMO.

Joemailman
03-25-2013, 05:23 PM
Damn!! TT playing hardball. Good for him. Might have help Finley if he had kept his mouth shut last year.

Sounds to me like Finley played hardball. He's gonna get paid 8 million, and the Packers probably wanted him to play for less.

Pugger
03-26-2013, 09:50 AM
Hate to say it but Hawk had the better season IMO.

Yes, but I can't think of many people who would say Hawk is the better athlete.

woodbuck27
03-26-2013, 09:53 AM

Isn't that like choosing between 'spit' and 'drool'?

MadtownPacker
03-26-2013, 10:29 AM
Sounds to me like Finley played hardball. He's gonna get paid 8 million, and the Packers probably wanted him to play for less.Go to hell, I skipped some post. I can't believe TT lost this battle to this shitter. This might be the beginning of the end.

woodbuck27
03-26-2013, 10:41 AM
Go to hell, I skipped some post. I can't believe TT lost this battle to this shitter. This might be the beginning of the end.

That one stinks.

Where is the consistency in our GM's game? How could he pay out so much to a TE that can't be relied upon to block; who managed to put up all of 12 points on the scoreboard last season?

Just the arrogance of it would have had me showing him the fricken' door. See yaa JerMichael. Good luck sucker.

As the great Vince Lombardi would say:

http://t3.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcRSZV1aJ_xT51FnXEB7O899kZhUcTA2D MJERUxY0-2oRon1xgugcw

What the hell is going on around here!??

GO ....ahhhhhhh... Ohh Hell !

pbmax
03-26-2013, 12:07 PM
Its all about leverage and choices. Packers thought there was a chance if cut that Finley could land close to same money. Or near enough plus some other friendly terms that he would have chance to leave.

If you have no confidence in Quarless and the rest, you live with that number and the uncertainty one more year.

Patler
03-26-2013, 12:39 PM
There are still options for what to do with Finley.

With the roster bonus paid, he is more tradeable now than before. The $5M+ remaining to be paid in 2013 probably won't scare off a team that thinks they can work out an extension for him.

GB could still work out their own extension with him, paying an additional signing bonus but reducing his 2013 salary. It could reduce his cap number for 2013, and maybe get him under contract for another 2 or 3 years. I wouldn't expect anything on this front until after they start the season, and see how he performs.

Old School
03-26-2013, 01:29 PM
I think the uncertainty with Quarless played a big part in this. Another contract from the Packers will require Finely to hit the ground running in game 1 and continue all year, not Dec 1st.

It will also help him to keep his dumb, ill timed comments to himself. Same goes for the dolt who represents him.

I'm pulling for Jmike to have a big year, but tend to hold my breath whenever he gets near the football, Twitter, or a microphone..

Rutnstrut
03-26-2013, 01:33 PM
Another backwards move by the great and powerful Ted.

Fritz
03-27-2013, 04:53 PM
I'm pushing for Quarless.

Joemailman
03-27-2013, 05:16 PM
Another backwards move by the great and powerful Ted.

It's amazing the Packers win as much as they do considering every move he makes or doesn't make is apparently wrong.

run pMc
03-28-2013, 11:23 AM
It's amazing the Packers win as much as they do considering every move he makes or doesn't make is apparently wrong.

Yeah, I'm still bummed about trading Javon Walker, and signing Woodson over Arrington. LOL

Fritz
03-28-2013, 12:11 PM
Damn Ted for not figuring out how to keep Mike Wahle.

Thompson's a bumbler who lucked out.

woodbuck27
03-28-2013, 12:47 PM
Well Boys there were options:

Here`s (was) one of them:

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2013/03/28/fred-davis-visits-bills/

Fred Davis visits Bills

Posted by Mike Wilkening on March 28, 2013, 12:30 PM EDT

`Davis, who has gained 12.7 yards per catch in his NFL career, would add another playmaking presence to the Bills’ tight end corps. The Bills already have a solid pass-catching threat in Scott Chandler, who’s caught a half-dozen TDs in each of the last two seasons and racked up a career-best 13.3 yards per catch in 2012.`Fr. LINK