PDA

View Full Version : Green bay closing in on steven jackson?

red
03-12-2013, 04:00 PM
from rotoworld

Steven Jackson - RB - Rams

Profootballtalk reports the Packers are the "leaders" for free agent Steven Jackson.
Normally, GM Ted Thompson doesn't shell out the cash for players on the wrong side of 30, but Jackson has expressed a desire to play with Aaron Rodgers and could be the missing piece to the offense. Jackson is certainly aiming to latch on with a contending team that has a murky running back situation.
Related: Packers
Source: Profootballtalk on Twitter
Mar 12 - 4:53 PM

denverYooper
03-12-2013, 04:04 PM
He'd need to take a pretty decent "championship" discount.

Packers have recently freed up $18 mil in cap space, although that would seem to be earmarked for current Packers player contracts.

woodbuck27
03-12-2013, 04:05 PM
Damn it red. Now I have to go out and get a shit load of toilet paper in to handle this excitement.

If Bretzky gets this before he gets home from work he'll have to stop off at several washrooms to take care of business. I hope he has a cell phone.

QBME
03-12-2013, 04:06 PM
from rotoworld

This is a little bizarre - The Wikipedia (yes, Wikipedia) article on Steven Jackson states that he signed with Atlanta for 5 years/$60 mil...today. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Steven_Jackson

woodbuck27
03-12-2013, 04:08 PM

Packers have recently freed up $18 mil in cap space, although that would seem to be earmarked for current Packers player contracts.

NO NO NO ! P.l.e.a.s.e !!

Keep it positive. There is no way now that Steven Jackson won't be a Green Bay Packer.

red
03-12-2013, 04:09 PM
This is a little bizarre - The Wikipedia (yes, Wikipedia) article on Steven Jackson states that he signed with Atlanta for 5 years/$60 mil...today. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Steven_Jackson

well that would be way wrong, someone having fun with wikipedia

jackson won't be getting anywhere near that kind of money, or a deal that long at his age

i doubt he would cost that much at all to sign to be honest

woodbuck27
03-12-2013, 04:10 PM

Ohh Nooooooo ! Wikipedia ! !

That's like GOD speak.

We didn't get Steven Jackson.

Joemailman
03-12-2013, 04:11 PM

Jackson has never played on a team with a winning record, so he just may do that. However, I wouldn't be shocked if the market price for a good but past his prime RB isn't all that expensive. Last year the Packers signed Benson for the vet minimum of 625,000 even though Benson was coming off a 1,000+ yard rushing season.

woodbuck27
03-12-2013, 04:13 PM
well that would be way wrong, someone having fun with wikipedia

jackson won't be getting anywhere near that kind of money, or a deal that long at his age

i doubt he would cost that much at all to sign to be honest

Ohh Awesome !!

Wikipedia has finally ..... made a mistake.

Steven Jackson will be a Green Bay Packer afterall. Wonderful !

woodbuck27
03-12-2013, 04:28 PM
Actually it right in here:

http://fansided.com/2013/03/11/nfl-free-agency-rumors-lions-falcons-packers-among-teams-pursuing-steven-jackson/

NFL Free Agency Rumors: Lions, Falcons, Packers Among Teams Pursuing Steven Jackson

Mar 11th, 2013 at 10:14 pm by Josh Hill ... NFL

"...the Atlanta Falcons remain the front runners to acquire Jackson in free agency and the effect he’d have on that offense is similar to the one he’d have in Green Bay.

And when it comes down to it, Jackson would much rather play in a dome environment eight games a year like he has been his entire career, rather than trying to make it in a cold weather city like Green Bay.

Still, the decision is likely going to come down to the wire and wherever Jackson ends up he’s likely going to take the offense he’s arriving on to another level."

Comment woodbuck27:

This time I want to be wrong and finally see Stephen Jackson wearing Green Bay Packer colors. I just want to see what it could be. I know it will finally come down to his decision and TT can 'only' do so much.

All the same.....

GO Ted Thompson !

MadtownPacker
03-12-2013, 04:29 PM
Fucking do it!!!

Spaulding
03-12-2013, 04:31 PM
If true, it would definitely soften the loss of Jennings. Would love to see a little more balance on offense. Could then focus on drafting BPA (hopefully a DT or CB/S) in first round and then possibly get Federick at C in the 2nd round and roll the dice in the 3rd if Honey Badger is still available and we didn't take a CB in the first round

woodbuck27
03-12-2013, 04:33 PM
Fucking do it!!!

Could you be clearer please. :lol:

Tony Oday
03-12-2013, 06:28 PM
I predict we get Jackson and keep Jennings.

red
03-12-2013, 07:19 PM
just saw this come on rotoworld

Steven Jackson - RB - Rams

Citing a source who spoke to the Rams, Bill Huber of Packer Report reports that free agent Steven Jackson will "likely" sign with Green Bay.
Recently, the St. Louis Post-Dispatch reported the Packers, Falcons, and Broncos were all showing strong interest in Jackson. Green Bay has the most salary cap space of that group, and Packers GM Ted Thompson is a longtime admirer of S-Jax. We'd anticipate a deal worth something like $12 million across three seasons. Jackson is going on age 30, but has juice left in the tank.
Source: Bill Huber on Twitter

get it done tt

red
03-12-2013, 07:20 PM
and this (i added highlight)

Peyton Hillis - RB - Chiefs

The Packers are hosting Peyton Hillis for a free-agent visit.
We wonder if this is a leverage play by GM Ted Thompson as he attempts to bring Steven Jackson's price tag down. Hillis would be a major downgrade from Jackson. It's also possible Thompson is seriously considering signing two backs; Hillis is strong in the passing game and can even lead block in a pinch.
Source: Adam Schefter on Twitter

i'm guessing hillis could be had for the vet minimum

pbmax
03-12-2013, 07:25 PM
Wilde said Adam Schefter also had confirmed the Packers have been in contact with Jackson, but it was less than "in the lead" and more "have called him".

Wilde also then went a bit mad talking about all the moves the Packers have been close on over the years, kind of a Greatest Misses theme.

John Schneider told Wilde about the failed trade for Tony Gonzalez (Carl Petersen jacked the price to a 2nd rounder after terms had been reached and Thompson said no).

Also that Reggie Williams told him about the aborted Randy Moss trade; Packers had initially agreed to a fifth round pick for Oakland and were working on the contract. Oakland then wanted a 4th rounder which the Packers tentatively agreed to it. But then New England offered the same and was willing to do a one year deal while the Packers wanted 2 years.

He also suspected Schneider knew he could top the Packers for Lynch if he waited for terms to be agreed to and then raise his offer. Downside of having ex-mates in other team's offices.

pbmax
03-12-2013, 07:26 PM
and this (i added highlight)

i'm guessing hillis could be had for the vet minimum

He's not much of a lead blocker. I doubt Ted does both.

Fritz
03-12-2013, 07:28 PM
Damn it red. Now I have to go out and get a shit load of toilet paper in to handle this excitement.

If Bretzky gets this before he gets home from work he'll have to stop off at several washrooms to take care of business. I hope he has a cell phone.

Hilarious post, Woody. Does that mean you're back on your meds, or off your meds?

pbmax
03-12-2013, 08:20 PM
http://www.jsonline.com/blogs/sports/197690431.html

Silverstein is of the belief that Jackson's negotiations have gone public as Eugene Parker tries to leverage a better deal from Atlanta.

swede
03-12-2013, 08:31 PM
http://www.jsonline.com/blogs/sports/197690431.html

Silverstein is of the belief that Jackson's negotiations have gone public as Eugene Parker tries to leverage a better deal from Atlanta.

Wilde can add this one to his list.

mission
03-12-2013, 09:15 PM
It's too good to be true. Why not do 3 years / 12 mil? We'll probably lose it because TT only wants to do 2 years / 7.9999999 mil. Yeeeeezus.

Bretsky
03-12-2013, 09:20 PM
If this were true, Bretsky would have been stopping at waysides all day long :)

Let's be clear on one thing.

S Jackson is the perfect fit in Green Bay. His talents would be perfect for this offense. With that being said, this is an anti TT signing. A near 30yr old back who is at least approaching the downside and would cost some money to sign. 3Yr 12MIL====No Brainer=====But TT would have to close

mission
03-12-2013, 09:26 PM
If this were true, Bretsky would have been stopping at waysides all day long :)

Let's be clear on one thing.

S Jackson is the perfect fit in Green Bay. His talents would be perfect for this offense. With that being said, this is an anti TT signing. A near 30yr old back who is at least approaching the downside and would cost some money to sign. 3Yr 12MIL====No Brainer=====But TT would have to close

Parroting you, Peter King, Sjax himself and everyone else: it just makes too much sense.

Get this done, TT! :packermob:

wist43
03-12-2013, 10:22 PM
To be sure Jackson would be an upgrade, but I'd prefer cap dollars be thrown at the OL and front seven.

Sign Jackson and Jennings and thereby ensure that Raji is gone after this season?? The weakest area on our team becomes weaker, and a pedestrian area stays that way b/c any upside Jackson brings in talent will be stifled by MM going 5 wides 68% of the time??

I agree with Merrill Hoge when he says that any decent RB signing with GB is a waste.

Tony Oday
03-12-2013, 10:29 PM
SJ can line up on the outside and there will be money for Raji!

woodbuck27
03-12-2013, 10:32 PM
I had to come back here tonight to check on any progress and Stephen Jackson.

Before I retire tonight I'm going to pray really hard.

This rumour of the money it might take to sign him or 3 years for $12 million$ has me really hopeful. Ted Thompson simply has to stay awake on this one ...... and close.

GO Ted ! GO PACKERS !

woodbuck27
03-12-2013, 10:35 PM
Hilarious post, Woody. Does that mean you're back on your meds, or off your meds?

Meds? Hahaa !

I simply recommend a toothpaste for sensative teeth.

MadtownPacker
03-12-2013, 11:19 PM
Could you be clearer please. :lol:
Ha!

Well Jackson means home field advantage in January is actually home field advantage. Plus his old knees will hold up better on the grass than the dirtybird turf.

woodbuck27
03-13-2013, 12:01 AM
Ha!

Well Jackson means home field advantage in January is actually home field advantage. Plus his old knees will hold up better on the grass than the dirtybird turf.

I know what I'll be wishing for when I go to bed and when I wake up tomorrow, Mad.

I truly believe that Stephen Jackson would be a huge boost for us. Realistically when a man hits 'the Free Agent Market'. All bets are off.

I think our chances of getting him are about as good as us retaining Greg Jennings.

GO PACKERS !

pbmax
03-13-2013, 12:45 AM
To be sure Jackson would be an upgrade, but I'd prefer cap dollars be thrown at the OL and front seven.

Sign Jackson and Jennings and thereby ensure that Raji is gone after this season?? The weakest area on our team becomes weaker, and a pedestrian area stays that way b/c any upside Jackson brings in talent will be stifled by MM going 5 wides 68% of the time??

I agree with Merrill Hoge when he says that any decent RB signing with GB is a waste.

I am with you on front 7. If its just Jackson and not Jennings (or if Jennings coming back means Finley is splitsville) I could see it working.

My suspicion is that its one step past Bretsky's circumspection but not quite Packers leading the charge. Wilde made a convincing case today that the Packers have tried to acquire Jackson twice before and that Thompson loves the package. M3 would obviously love it as he can run and catch. And McCarthy ran quite a bit more this year compared to 11. Jackson would get meaningful touches.

But as wist observes, to fit him into the existing team, shore up the middle of the D AND sign the Big Three FAs is going to take some Bronco level cap maneuvering.

woodbuck27
03-13-2013, 12:51 AM
I am with you on front 7. If its just Jackson and not Jennings (or if Jennings coming back means Finley is splitsville) I could see it working.

My suspicion is that its one step past Bretsky's circumspection but not quite Packers leading the charge. Wilde made a convincing case today that the Packers have tried to acquire Jackson twice before and that Thompson loves the package. M3 would obviously love it as he can run and catch. And McCarthy ran quite a bit more this year compared to 11. Jackson would get meaningful touches.

But as wist observes, to fit him into the existing team, shore up the middle of the D AND sign the Big Three FAs is going to take some Bronco level cap maneuvering.

In day one of FA. Defensive Lineman are being scooped up. Their going like hot cakes.

pbmax
03-13-2013, 01:04 AM
In day one of FA. Defensive Lineman are being scooped up. Their going like hot cakes.

So far, the only impressive one I have seen is Desmond Bryant from Oakland. A few folks think he will make a nice end in a 3-4. But he signed for a goodly amount of money.

Pugger
03-13-2013, 01:12 AM
I'm thinking SJ will sign with Atlanta so he can continue to play in a dome. :cry:

woodbuck27
03-13-2013, 01:37 PM
I'm thinking SJ will sign with Atlanta so he can continue to play in a dome. :cry:

I'm looking at it in a more positive way, Pugger.

I'm trying to find the exact quote and maybe it was from Reggie White? Never the less, someone important to the Green Bay Packer Organization. in terms of PR, said something to this effect, and I paraphrase.

' That every NFL player owes it to himself to play at sometime in his career for the Green Bay Packers and in Lambeau Field. '

Firstly...If I had to choose between the Georgia Dome and Lambeau Field and the Lambeau Leap. That decision should easily be the latter.

Secondly...Stephen Jackson would be choosing as his teammate the premier QB in the NFL in Aaron Rodgers; contributing to arguably and speculatively the best offense in the NFL in 2013.

Thirdly... How many Super Bowl Championships has the Atlanta Falcons won? Compare that to one of the greatest NFL franchises, organizations in the NFL.

Fourthly in terms of indorsements Stephen Jackson would have the backing of one of the largest and most knowledgeable fan bases in the NFL.

Maybe he's just realizing it, but for Stephen Jackson it isn't even close. That is if 'in fact' he elects to move to another team.

It's this:

THE GREEN BAY PACKERS !

smuggler
03-13-2013, 01:45 PM
I'd like to see what a backfield of SJ and DuJuan Harris could do together (thunder/lightning kinda concept). Jackson would get even more competition for carries in Atlanta (Jaquizz Rodgers) than he would here, though the total number of carries there would probably be higher there.

At this stage in his career, is that even a plus? I don't know.

woodbuck27
03-13-2013, 02:05 PM
I'd like to see what a backfield of SJ and DuJuan Harris could do together (thunder/lightning kinda concept). Jackson would get even more competition for carries in Atlanta (Jaquizz Rodgers) than he would here, though the total number of carries there would probably be higher there.

At this stage in his career, is that even a plus? I don't know.

Men like Stephen Jackson who works so hard to stay in tip top shape. Have their pride and belief in themselves. Of course if he chooses Atlanta or Green Bay he may not realistically be a 3-down back all the time, in every game. Yet he wants to know he's the feature back and his performance over the last eight seasons, speaks mountains towords giving that man, that respect.

http://www.nfl.com/player/stevenjackson/2505936/profile

GO PACK GO!

Bretsky
03-14-2013, 09:54 PM
this is an anti TT signing. A near 30yr old back who is at least approaching the downside and would cost some money to sign. 3Yr 12MIL====No Brainer=====But TT would have to close

as a wise man once said

Iron Mike
03-15-2013, 07:14 AM

Prescient.

Bretsky
03-16-2013, 11:42 PM
I'm in Myrtel Beach....what in the hell has been going on the past two days > Logging in to see the news

Pugger
03-16-2013, 11:53 PM
It looks like I was right. What I find curious is the Falcons saw first hand what happens to RBs when their abilities go south with Turner but decided to add another aging workhorse in SJ anyway. Now that I've thought about it I hope we can find a younger back that can be our featured guy for more than just a couple of years.

Smeefers
03-17-2013, 07:25 PM
I'm in Myrtel Beach....what in the hell has been going on the past two days > Logging in to see the news

You're in Myrtel Beach? There's no news. Enjoy your vacation.

swede
03-17-2013, 07:33 PM
I love that this thread is still here mocking us and our hopes that we would lose all discipline and self-control and "close in
on" a name free agent.

pbmax
03-17-2013, 10:44 PM
I love that this thread is still here mocking us and our hopes that we would lose all discipline and self-control and "close in
on" a name free agent.

I've been thinking of it as mocking our tackling from 2011.

wist43
03-17-2013, 10:48 PM
on" a name free agent.

I want help on both lines, and the draft won't be enough to upgrade us enough to compete with SF, Seattle, NYG, Atl, et al.

TT and MM are always saying that we'll improve from within... and there is some promise in this approach; but while we're waiting for the crops from the previous 3 drafts to develop, we're losing ground to the field.

The Packers have to get serious about getting tougher in the trenches. Until they do that, we'll continue to be knocked out by physical teams like SEA, NY, and SF.

Pugger
03-18-2013, 10:33 AM
I want help on both lines, and the draft won't be enough to upgrade us enough to compete with SF, Seattle, NYG, Atl, et al.

TT and MM are always saying that we'll improve from within... and there is some promise in this approach; but while we're waiting for the crops from the previous 3 drafts to develop, we're losing ground to the field.

The Packers have to get serious about getting tougher in the trenches. Until they do that, we'll continue to be knocked out by physical teams like SEA, NY, and SF.

I'm more concerned with our D line than the O.

swede
03-18-2013, 12:12 PM
I've been thinking of it as mocking our tackling from 2011.

Good call.

Almost had him...in 2011 and again in 2013.