PDA

View Full Version : Packers may have offer on the table for jennings

red
03-12-2013, 06:21 PM
Source: Rob Demovsky on Twitter

An NFL source tells the Green Bay Press-Gazette free agent Greg Jennings could return to the Packers if he hasn't signed with another team by midnight Wednesday.
It implies Jennings has a standing offer from the Packers, one he might take if no one betters it over the next six hours. It would be a thudding end to free agency for a player who's spent weeks publicly pumping up his stock, but perhaps best for all involved.

Brando19
03-12-2013, 06:28 PM
Let's hope no other team signs him by midnight! That would be great if we resign him like we did James Jones. Now bring on Steven Jackson and Canty!!!

red
03-12-2013, 06:30 PM
its between us and minnesota

but there no evidence that the queens have even made an offer for him

from PFT

Greg Jennings could spurn Vikings offer, stay in Green Bay
Posted by Michael David Smith on March 12, 2013, 7:22 PM EDT

Free agent receiver Greg Jennings appeared to be so sure he was leaving Green Bay that he put his house in Wisconsin up for sale. But now it appears that Jennings has a decent chance of staying with the Packers.

Although Jennings was interested in a reunion with Joe Philbin in Miami, the Dolphins didn’t show a lot of interest and are now out of the running after signing receiver Mike Wallace. That leaves the Vikings as the team reported to have the most interest in Jennings, but Alex Marvez of FOXSports.com reports that it’s both the Packers and the Vikings who are expressing interest.

Rob Demovsky of the Green Bay Press-Gazette reports that if Jennings hasn’t signed with another team by midnight, returning to the Packers is a possibility.

What it may come down to is whether Jennings takes the Vikings’ offer or decides to stay in the only place he’s ever played in his seven-year NFL career. It might just be easier for Jennings to take his house off the market and remain in Green Bay.

red
03-12-2013, 06:32 PM
i'll puke if he goes to minnie

Brando19
03-12-2013, 06:34 PM
Me, too. If he goes to Minnesota...who the hell is going to throw to him?? Ponder isn't the answer. If he wants a little more money and the title of number one receiver...go to the Vikings. If he wants paid well, multiple chances at the Super Bowl and to play in a stadium that doesn't smell like ass...stay in Green Bay.

swede
03-12-2013, 06:38 PM
I don't get why Indy didn't jump at him. They have cap room, a good young quarterback, and Jennings is certainly considered an above average talent and a way above average locker room guy.

Did they make some other move at WR?

If he comes back, maybe AR can give him some lessons in carrying out a league-wide chip-on-your-shoulder revenge-is-a-dish-best-served-cold you-coulda-had-this-chump season for the record books.

Fritz
03-12-2013, 07:20 PM
I don't get why Indy didn't jump at him. They have cap room, a good young quarterback, and Jennings is certainly considered an above average talent and a way above average locker room guy.

Did they make some other move at WR?

If he comes back, maybe AR can give him some lessons in carrying out a league-wide chip-on-your-shoulder revenge-is-a-dish-best-served-cold you-coulda-had-this-chump season for the record books.

Indy needed the cash so they could afford that most excellent linebacker, Erik "I'm not a" Wal
Den.

red
03-12-2013, 07:26 PM
WHOA

packers seem very serious about keeping jennings

Greg Jennings - WR - Packers

A source tells ESPN Milwaukee's Jason Wilde that the Packers previously made free agent Greg Jennings a $10M per year offer.
If true, it's shocking. The Packers were thought to have moved on from Jennings, instead focusing on a very capable receiving trio of Randall Cobb, Jordy Nelson and James Jones. This news suggests that they are very open to bringing Jennings back. It's unlikely he'll fetch more than $10M per year on the open market -- even from a receiver-needy team like the Vikings.
Source: Jason Wilde on Twitter

red
03-12-2013, 07:30 PM
and FYI. mike wallace got 11 per year

Fritz
03-12-2013, 07:31 PM
I would be shocked if the Pack offered Jennings ten mil a year. I'd rather have Finley for one year at 8.5. Any word how many years?

swede
03-12-2013, 07:35 PM
I would only be happy to get Jennings back at a bargain, say 15 million over two years with a six mil cap hit this year and a not gonna be here number for the 2nd year.

I would be downright disappointed to have him back at anything more than 9 mil a year.

And I couldn't even begin to wrap my head around it if we paid him 10 or more.

The only argument that makes sense with some of the bigger numbers would be that we are taking a 4 mil dollar bath to keep the vikings from being better.

pbmax
03-12-2013, 07:36 PM
I was just going to post the Wilde thing. He was on the radio answering a question we asked here a while ago: did the Packers even make an offer to Jennings or were they so far apart they didn't bother?

Wilde was told recently (this was apparently before anyone knew the offer might still be on the table-) that the Packers did indeed make a serious (for them) offer.

Whether that offer is still on the table OR if this is just agent rumor is anyone's guess.

Fritz
03-12-2013, 07:36 PM
But Ted has never operated that way.

red
03-12-2013, 07:39 PM
i was just looking at a few vikings forums and theres no chatter or talk at all about them talking to jennings

its looking like we're keeping him

fritz, i don't see anything on how long it is. could be the "source" is jennings agent trying to get a price out there to get someone else involved

red
03-12-2013, 07:45 PM
I was just going to post the Wilde thing. He was on the radio answering a question we asked here a while ago: did the Packers even make an offer to Jennings or were they so far apart they didn't bother?

Wilde was told recently (this was apparently before anyone knew the offer might still be on the table-) that the Packers did indeed make a serious (for them) offer.

Whether that offer is still on the table OR if this is just agent rumor is anyone's guess.

so you're saying the packers might not even have the 10 million a year deal on the table anymore?

pbmax
03-12-2013, 07:51 PM
so you're saying the packers might not even have the 10 million a year deal on the table anymore?

My information is dated compared that what you have lately from Wilde and Demovsky. So whether there is an offer or not is an open question as far as I know.

Earlier on radio, Wilde just confirmed that there was an offer at some point in the Packer/Jennings negotiations. But his confirmation was not about how things stood today.

pbmax
03-12-2013, 08:13 PM
Greg Jennings and his agent might be working overtime to create the impression there is clamoring for his services but reporters keep finding holes in the stories.

Jason Wilde ‏@jasonjwilde
Well, then ... RT @TomPelissero I'm told the #Vikings are NOT actively pursuing @GregJennings right now.

Tyler Dunne ‏@TyDunne
Ahh. RT @TomPelissero I'm told the #Vikings are NOT actively pursuing Greg Jennings right now. Of course, that level of activity can change.

pbmax
03-12-2013, 08:15 PM
Andrew Brandt ‏@adbrandt
Sense some interesting discussions going on between the Packers and Eugene Parker, agent for both @sj39 and @GregJennings.

Package deal! They can sign along with Hillis. Then Stephen Jackson can tell Jim Gray that he is taking his talents to Bay Beach.

swede
03-12-2013, 08:58 PM
Andrew Brandt ‏@adbrandt
Sense some interesting discussions going on between the Packers and Eugene Parker, agent for both @sj39 and @GregJennings.

Package deal! They can sign along with Hillis. Then Stephen Jackson can tell Jim Gray that he is taking his talents to Bay Beach.

Whee!

http://www.ci.green-bay.wi.us/BayBeach/images/rides/LadyBugs.jpg

Iron Mike
03-12-2013, 09:14 PM
Whee!

http://www.ci.green-bay.wi.us/BayBeach/images/rides/LadyBugs.jpg

http://farm5.staticflickr.com/4132/5039177900_b2d0ab8b81_z.jpg

Ahh, horse$#!t!!!

red
03-12-2013, 09:34 PM
stand by..

MadtownPacker
03-12-2013, 11:23 PM
Fuck this thread is making me feel greedy!! Keep Jennings, get Jackson, sign everyone else!!! Ok maybe not but damn things arent playing out too bad so far.

woodbuck27
03-12-2013, 11:39 PM
WHOA

packers seem very serious about keeping jennings

Greg Jennings - WR - Packers

A source tells ESPN Milwaukee's Jason Wilde that the Packers previously made free agent Greg Jennings a $10M per year offer.

If true, it's shocking. The Packers were thought to have moved on from Jennings, instead focusing on a very capable receiving trio of Randall Cobb, Jordy Nelson and James Jones. This news suggests that they are very open to bringing Jennings back. It's unlikely he'll fetch more than $10M per year on the open market -- even from a receiver-needy team like the Vikings.
Source: Jason Wilde on Twitter

Comment woodbuck27:

OK if it was a $10 million$ offer then for how long and what bonus money was included upfront? The length and conditions of the contract withstanding. If true, that's a very fair offer. Whats up!?

If that's true what is his real issue (s)? If the Packers offered to extend him @ $10 million$ how could he be looking elsewhere if he doesn't have other issues?

Guiness
03-12-2013, 11:44 PM
Why the lack of interest in Jennings? There were other WRs available, but I would have thought he'd get some interest. If his phone has rung at all, it hasn't been much.

Maybe teams are worried about his injury history the past couple of years? They both lingered, but neither were that bad.

Guiness
03-12-2013, 11:49 PM
Comment woodbuck27:

OK if it was a $10 million$ offer then for how long and what bonus money was included upfront? The length and conditions of the contract withstanding. If true, that's a very fair offer. Whats up!?

If that's true what is his real issue (s)? If the Packers offered to extend him @ $10 million$ how could he be looking elsewhere if he doesn't have other issues?

There's something fishy about that number. Maybe the Packers offered him a deal averaging $10M/year, but with the money in later years? I can't see them paying him that this year, because of how close that is to the WR franchise tag number of $10.547. If they were willing to pay him $10M, just franchise him and don't worry about someone else paying him that.

I suspect the offer was more like 3yrs/$30M with a cap number of $6-7M this year...

woodbuck27
03-12-2013, 11:50 PM
Why the lack of interest in Jennings? There were other WRs available, but I would have thought he'd get some interest. If his phone has rung at all, it hasn't been much.

Maybe teams are worried about his injury history the past couple of years? They both lingered, but neither were that bad.

Maybe that rumour of a $10 Million$ dollar offer from TT is bogus!?

I cannot imagine TT releasing such information to anyone but the man he's negotiating with and his agent. Something stinks in the state of Denmark.

woodbuck27
03-12-2013, 11:53 PM
There's something fishy about that number. Maybe the Packers offered him a deal averaging $10M/year, but with the money in later years? I can't see them paying him that this year, because of how close that is to the WR franchise tag number of $10.547. If they were willing to pay him $10M, just franchise him and don't worry about someone else paying him that.

I suspect the offer was more like 3yrs/$30M with a cap number of $6-7M this year...

Yup. I'm not giving much creedance to that report and $10 million$ for Greg Jennings. The end story if we ever learn of it will tell the tale.

pbmax
03-13-2013, 12:39 AM

Yes. The $10 mil per year leaked number is what agents try to leverage against. Teams who like to negotiate with themselves fall for it.

HarveyWallbangers
03-13-2013, 01:05 AM
Fuck this thread is making me feel greedy!! Keep Jennings, get Jackson, sign everyone else!!! Ok maybe not but damn things arent playing out too bad so far.

Don't get too giddy. Nothing's happened yet, and Thompson is known to disappoint.
:)

Pugger
03-13-2013, 01:14 AM
Let's hope no other team signs him by midnight! That would be great if we resign him like we did James Jones. Now bring on Steven Jackson and Canty!!!

Canty signed with Baltimore.

Pugger
03-13-2013, 01:15 AM
i'll puke if he goes to minnie

I heard earlier on the NFLN on Sirius radio MN is no longer interested in Jennings.

Pugger
03-13-2013, 01:19 AM

Teams might have been turned off by what Greg was asking plus the fact he will be 30 this fall and he had some injury issues the past couple of seasons.

packrulz
03-13-2013, 05:05 AM
It sounds like Finley will be cut if they sign Jennings.

Smeefers
03-13-2013, 08:46 AM
Huh. It sounds like what several rats have been saying all along. He's on the wrong side of 30 and has had injury issues. He's not worth 10 mil, more in the 7-9 range and he's not going to garner any interest until he drops his asking price. I'd also like to point out that it's only been 3 freaking days of free agency. The dude has some time to negotiate. Also, who's to say he hasn't gotten offers and now he's just playing highest bidder between the teams and we're just none the wiser?

pbmax
03-13-2013, 09:22 AM
Presso! RT @TomPelissero: Reiterating point in column: #Vikings aren't interested in Jennings at the current asking price of $11M-$12M/year.

HarveyWallbangers
03-13-2013, 09:33 AM
No way has Thompson offered $10M/year. Not a chance. I could see around $8M/year. I think Thompson is in a good position of either keeping Finley or Jennings. Not both. I wonder if Thompson prefers Jennings and is willing to offer a good contract, but is not desperate to move off his price because keeping Finley is a good alternative.

sharpe1027
03-13-2013, 09:47 AM
No way has Thompson offered $10M/year. Not a chance. I could see around $8M/year. I think Thompson is in a good position of either keeping Finley or Jennings. Not both. I wonder if Thompson prefers Jennings and is willing to offer a good contract, but is not desperate to move off his price because keeping Finley is a good alternative.

I have a feeling that you are right. It is possible that one year of the contract has the potential to reach $10M because TT has been known to be creative in when the money is paid (e.g., by front loading or with crazy incentives that will never be met), but I doubt that would be $10M average per year. Then again, maybe it is true.

Bossman641
03-13-2013, 09:56 AM
If we sign Jennings at $10M a year I'd be disappointed. Most I'd be willing to go is $32M over 4 years.

red
03-13-2013, 11:02 AM
latest from rotoworld

The Milwaukee Journal-Sentinel hears that the Vikings' interest in free agent Greg Jennings "really cooled" on Tuesday because the veteran receiver "asked for too much money."
The Packers are rumored to have offered Jennings $10 million annually, presumably on a four- or five-year deal. The Vikings apparently aren't willing to match or exceed that number. Our current feeling is Jennings will return to Green Bay, though these things are subject to sudden change. If Minnesota misses out on Jennings, it's worth wondering if GM Rick Spielman would consider using both of his first-round picks (Nos. 23 and 25) on wide receivers.
Related: Vikings
Source: Ty Dunne on Twitter
Mar 13 - 11:50 AM

red
03-13-2013, 11:16 AM
If we sign Jennings at $10M a year I'd be disappointed. Most I'd be willing to go is $32M over 4 years.

and that could easily be done by giving him a 5 year 50 million dollar deal (10 a year for the non-math folks), with 18 million coming in the last year.

basically making it a 4 year 32 million dollar deal for the team, but letting the player keep his pride

fyi, he would be cut or restructured before that last year hit

also, now would be a good time to address something. 20 or 30 million in guaranteed money doesn't mean the same thing these days as it did a few years back. when most of us thing of guaranteed we think of a signing bonus that the guy gets up front and is prorated over many years, preventing the player from being released. these days, a lot of the guaranteed money is in the form of roster bonuses and really not guaranteed at all.

a guy could get a 5 year 50 million dollar deal with 20 million "guaranteed". this could include, lets say a 5 million dollar signing bonus with the rest of the money coming in the form of a 1 million dollar roster bonus in the first year, and a 3.5 million dollar roster bonus in each of the next 4 years. then like alot of guys, he gets the minimum salary the first year, and then it goes way up each year from there.

5 year, 50 million, 20 million guaranteed looks like a huge deal

well the team would have a cap number that first year of less then 3 million. the team could decide to cut the player the very next offseason and only take a 4 million dollar cap hit. not bad

and in the meantime the player would have gotten about 6.5-7 million dollars over that one year, not bad for him either

so, to sum up. big contracts don't have to be as horrible for the teams as they use to be

patler can correct me where i'm wrong

King Friday
03-13-2013, 12:12 PM
Jennings asking for big money from the Vikings is a sign he really isn't that interested in going there...he'll only go there if they way overspend. I don't think Jennings was ever interested in leaving Green Bay unless he could hit it big elsewhere. He was hoping to find a suitor, but if the only team even interested in him is Minnesota then I have a high degree of confidence that he'll be back in Green Bay.

If he comes back to Green Bay, I would expect to see no more than a 4 year deal. I think one of the reasons Jennings wanted to go into free agency was the hope he could get a longer deal with more guaranteed money. That now seems to be a pipe dream with the "flat" cap situation over the past few years and greater proliferation of "cap-intelligent" teams. There are fewer and fewer teams willing to overspend enthusiastically these days.

If I was Thompson, I would be targeting a 4 year, $40M deal to help Jennings save face...which in essense would be crafted as a 3 year deal worth between $20M and $25M.

Guiness
03-13-2013, 12:22 PM
patler can correct me where i'm wrong

As my kids are fond of chanting - You're wrong, you're wrong, even if you're right, you're WRONG!!!

Ok, maybe you are right, I just wanted to say that. Good description of a possible 'contract averaging $10M/year'. The NFL has a very liberal interpretation of the word 'guaranteed'.

pbmax
03-13-2013, 12:25 PM
and that could easily be done by giving him a 5 year 50 million dollar deal (10 a year for the non-math folks), with 18 million coming in the last year.

basically making it a 4 year 32 million dollar deal for the team, but letting the player keep his pride

fyi, he would be cut or restructured before that last year hit

This.

Listen to the drunk, angry man. He is really dialed in on this one. The only caveat is that this kind of deal seems to likely cost Finley his roster spot or force a negotiation. And he will be late to the FA party when the money is spent. That's pretty hardball for T2: funny money contract and a player released late.

And while Jennings is a more reliable player (when healthy), his position is better stocked than TE. I think Harv has it right here. No way Thompson gets moved off his number for Greg.

Guiness
03-13-2013, 12:25 PM
Huh. It sounds like what several rats have been saying all along. He's on the wrong side of 30 and has had injury issues. He's not worth 10 mil, more in the 7-9 range and he's not going to garner any interest until he drops his asking price. I'd also like to point out that it's only been 3 freaking days of free agency. The dude has some time to negotiate. Also, who's to say he hasn't gotten offers and now he's just playing highest bidder between the teams and we're just none the wiser?

I'd be awfully surprised if this was the case. He's pretty high profile, and there's been no news of him visiting teams, no buzz at all really. I don't think this is what he and his agent were expecting at all.

Guiness
03-13-2013, 12:28 PM
And while Jennings is a more reliable player (when healthy), his position is better stocked than TE. I think Harv has it right here. No way Thompson gets moved off his number for Greg.

I was thinking that as well wrt the TE position. With the players we have at each spot, I have to say I'd rather see Finley stay than Jennings. There's a much more significant drop off to the next guy at TE.

Bossman641
03-13-2013, 01:07 PM
I was thinking that as well wrt the TE position. With the players we have at each spot, I have to say I'd rather see Finley stay than Jennings. There's a much more significant drop off to the next guy at TE.

Yep

Tony Oday
03-13-2013, 01:10 PM
Finley is not good. We are keeping Jennings and getting Jackson.

run pMc
03-13-2013, 01:36 PM
Me, too. If he goes to Minnesota...who the hell is going to throw to him?? Ponder isn't the answer. If he wants a little more money and the title of number one receiver...go to the Vikings. If he wants paid well, multiple chances at the Super Bowl and to play in a stadium that doesn't smell like ass...stay in Green Bay.

I believe Vikings have one more year in the Metrodome...I mean, "Mall of America Field" (whatever)...and after that two years at TCF Bank Stadium (the Gophers stadium) -- which is NOT a dome. That's gonna be chilly in January...personally, I'd rather play at Lambeau and catch passes from Rodgers than icy knuckleballs from Ponder at that field.

Guiness
03-13-2013, 02:08 PM
I believe Vikings have one more year in the Metrodome...I mean, "Mall of America Field" (whatever)...and after that two years at TCF Bank Stadium (the Gophers stadium) -- which is NOT a dome. That's gonna be chilly in January...personally, I'd rather play at Lambeau and catch passes from Rodgers than icy knuckleballs from Ponder at that field.

lol @ Icy Knuckleball!

Reminds me of the SnowBowl we played during the winter term in school. Snowmobile pants and winter boots, mobility was pretty poor! QB's attempting to throw a pass with mittens or gloves on make for some interesting ball behavior - I remember squinting at a ball going end over end through the driving snow, trying to figure out what it was going to do!

woodbuck27
03-13-2013, 02:25 PM
Finley is not good. We are keeping Jennings and getting Jackson.

Are there little birds in the trees where you live?

woodbuck27
03-13-2013, 02:32 PM
Presso! RT @TomPelissero: Reiterating point in column: #Vikings aren't interested in Jennings at the current asking price of $11M-$12M/year.

Based on that rumour of a $10 million$ offer on the table fr. Ted Thompson. Which IMO is baloney. My next sentence is written to support that; that offer figure is somehow based on creativity or outrightly bogus.

In clearer terms ... it's BS.

What NFL player would ever leave the 'only team he's ever played for in the NFL', so stubbornly, for $1-2 million$ per season, or ($11-12 million$/year)?

Opps! LOL not named Wes Welker?

:idea: Give me the $$$MONEY$$$ !

woodbuck27
03-13-2013, 02:35 PM

That's very generous of you; seriously generous.

LEWCWA
03-13-2013, 03:17 PM
Get Jennings done! He is the straw that stirs the drink in this passing game. He can play inside and outside and be effective. He makes Jordy and Jones better. Cobb is the wildcard in this. I think he is an inside receiver, only....I love Cobb, but don't believe he is ever going to be Jennings. They have tried and failed to make Finely the "straw" year in and year out and that has failed. The guy just doesn't make others better and then pouts when he doesn't get the lead! Jennings vs Finely is an easy choice in my mind....

MJZiggy
03-13-2013, 06:04 PM
Jennings is facebooking about patience, lol.

woodbuck27
03-13-2013, 07:04 PM
I want this on a thread:

http://www.jsonline.com/blogs/sports/197817021.html?utm_medium=twitter&utm_source=twitterfeed

Packers' pursuit of Jennings keeps Jermichael Finley on hold

By Tyler Dunne of the Journal Sentinel Updated: 12:47 p.m.

"Suddenly, the Packers are very much in the picture for Jennings, likely waiting for the wide receiver’s price to drop into their budget. When free agency began, **the source said that Jennings asked the Minnesota Vikings for much more money than they were willing to pay. As of Wednesday morning, the Vikings had backed out of negotiations." Fr. LINK

** the source ?

swede
03-13-2013, 07:22 PM
I want this on a thread:

http://www.jsonline.com/blogs/sports/197817021.html?utm_medium=twitter&utm_source=twitterfeed

Packers' pursuit of Jennings keeps Jermichael Finley on hold

By Tyler Dunne of the Journal Sentinel Updated: 12:47 p.m.

"Suddenly, the Packers are very much in the picture for Jennings, likely waiting for the wide receiver’s price to drop into their budget. When free agency began, **the source said that Jennings asked the Minnesota Vikings for much more money than they were willing to pay. As of Wednesday morning, the Vikings had backed out of negotiations." Fr. LINK

** the source ?

It must be straight up locker room strategizing at lambeau when the talk turns to free agency.

"So what I do when I become a free agent?"

"Walk out the door, turn left, and drive until the weather is worse than here with a big freaking bag for Viking cash."

pbmax
03-13-2013, 07:31 PM
Welker got $6 mil per year, 2 years at 31.

Amendola got $6.2 mil per year, 5 years at age 27.

So that would seem to cover the floor value for Jennings. I assume he tops both these offers (yearly avg. if not years), agreed?

Bretsky
03-13-2013, 07:44 PM
I listened to long interview of the Vikings GM today on NFL Network radio. Unless it was a smokescreen dude seemed to have no interesting in persuit of GJ

Joemailman
03-13-2013, 07:47 PM
Jennings is facebooking about patience, lol.

Who cares? What does his sister think?

red
03-13-2013, 08:53 PM
didn't a "source" (eugene parker), say that if jennings didn't receive a better offer by midnight last night, that he would probably just go back to the packers

well nothing has happened yet, i'm wondering if any offers are on the table at this point, including green bay

and if green bay does have an offer on the table, when does that number start to move down? if no one else wants him, the price should be going down

channtheman
03-15-2013, 11:48 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?NR=1&v=64vzLwG1v38&feature=fvwp
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IPwb_NmyVpA

woodbuck27
03-15-2013, 01:26 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?NR=1&v=64vzLwG1v38&feature=fvwp
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IPwb_NmyVpA

Yes and that's how we will remember him as a former Green Bay Packer.