PDA

View Full Version : Remembering how good Johnny Jolly was way back when.

Patler
03-13-2013, 10:59 PM
Probably the best indication of how well he had played is this:

the contract he signed was an RFA tender......a "first round" RFA tender. The Packers thought enough of him to give him a first round tender.

Not something the Packers do very often.

hawaii50
03-14-2013, 01:15 AM
Thanks for pulling that out of the archives. Makes me even more optimistic about playing with "house" money.

Hope they give him enough of a shot to get back into the groove, and hope he respects the opportunity enough to take it seriously.

run pMc
03-14-2013, 08:15 AM
Thanks for pulling that out of the archives. Makes me even more optimistic about playing with "house" money.

Hope they give him enough of a shot to get back into the groove, and hope he respects the opportunity enough to take it seriously.

Agree -- Jolly was a heck of a pick. It's a real shame, his addiction cost him a lot. Worthy's injury opens the door for Jolly, but he's been out of the league for a couple of years. I'm not sure how much to expect, if anything. I'd hope they at least bring him in to see where he is mentally and physically and give him a legit shot.

Is there any precedent for somebody coming back after something like this?

3irty1
03-14-2013, 08:23 AM
I would think kicking his addiction to codine and Dr. Pepper would mean he is healthier now than he was when he was earning 1st round tenders. This isn't a physical injury so there is no reason to think he should be on the wrong side of his prime as long as he gave half a shit. Seeing as how you don't go from 6th round pick to 1st round tender in the NFL without a work ethic, I'm betting he'll be good to go by TC if he isn't already.

QBME
03-14-2013, 08:38 AM
I'm an optimist in this case. He knows he has at best a 3 or 4 year window to make good money, and then it's over. I believe he is going to be incredibly motivated to report in the best condition possible and play his ass off, and will make a significant contribution to the defense this year.

woodbuck27
03-14-2013, 10:10 AM
I simply hope that Johnny Jolly gets a real shot with us and demonstrates appreciation for that.

King Friday
03-14-2013, 12:14 PM
I think Jolly will show up ready to play...I just think taking that many years off has to increase his chances of injury and fatigue. We'll probably see flashes in camp, but I doubt he'll look anything like the guy we remember on a consistent basis.

smuggler
03-15-2013, 10:45 AM
I'm really proud of Jolly. I hope he keeps it up and works hard. Even if he can't play anymore, if he tries his hardest, he should be proud of himself and hold his head high.

Pugger
03-15-2013, 11:38 AM
I think Jolly will show up ready to play...I just think taking that many years off has to increase his chances of injury and fatigue. We'll probably see flashes in camp, but I doubt he'll look anything like the guy we remember on a consistent basis.

Of course not playing those years didn't put wear and tear on his body either...

red
03-15-2013, 05:58 PM
if he can somehow regain his form then the d-line is fixed

its that easy

thats how good he was. like i said in another thread, he was a bigger lost IMO then jenkins was

Pugger
03-16-2013, 02:35 PM
Red, you might be right. Maybe Jolly was the bigger loss. If he can be even close to what he was our D line is better this coming year.

pbmax
03-16-2013, 05:13 PM
Red, you might be right. Maybe Jolly was the bigger loss. If he can be even close to what he was our D line is better this coming year.

I have some sympathy for this view, but he wasn't around for the Super Bowl. I expect, should he make the team, to see improved run D and less wear and tear on Raji and Pick because neither will be required to play end regularly.