PDA

View Full Version : hawk restructures...

gbgary
03-15-2013, 04:05 PM
per @aaron_nagler, of bleacher report, on twitter.

woodbuck27
03-15-2013, 04:10 PM
Ted's busy.

See Tweets from our reporters:

http://www.packersnews.com/

"RobDemovsky Source confirms that Hawk indeed took a pay cut and restructured the remaining 3 years. Said , "the numbers are fair." ..."

and an Ohh by the way:

" RobDemovsky Oh and by the way, the #Packers did get a deal done with LB Robert Francois. "

GO PACK GO !

red
03-15-2013, 04:42 PM
yay, packers save more money that they won't use

woodbuck27
03-15-2013, 04:49 PM

Yes but red...the %interest%.

Ted Thompson....accountant numeritas .

He's 'just not a people person'.

pittstang5
03-15-2013, 04:54 PM
Ted's busy.

See Tweets from our reporters:

http://www.packersnews.com/

"RobDemovsky Source confirms that Hawk indeed took a pay cut and restructured the remaining 3 years. Said , "the numbers are fair." ..."

and an Ohh by the way:

" RobDemovsky Oh and by the way, the #Packers did get a deal done with LB Robert Francois. "

GO PACK GO !

Fair? What are fair numbers? This don't mean squat till we see some numbers.

I wish Finley would restructure.

ThunderDan
03-15-2013, 04:58 PM

I know it sucks to sit on the sideline during FA but we are underpaying AROD and CMIII about $20M per year if not more.

Joemailman
03-15-2013, 05:03 PM

Right. They're probably just going to let Rodgers, Matthews and Raji enter free agency when their contracts expire. TT isn't planning on offering them contract extensions or anything.

woodbuck27
03-15-2013, 05:10 PM
Right. They're probably just going to let Rodgers, Matthews and Raji enter free agency when their contracts expire. TT isn't planning on offering them contract extensions or anything.

I don't believe that. Please post 'a source'.

ahhh ! That's not fair.

I'm guilty of using the lowest form of whit or sarcasm, sometimes.

swede
03-15-2013, 05:11 PM
Right. They're probably just going to let Rodgers, Matthews and Raji enter free agency when their contracts expire. TT isn't planning on offering them contract extensions or anything.[/sarcasm]

fify :)

KYPack
03-15-2013, 05:30 PM

It's just the first shoe.

Red & Woody, calm the fuck down boys.

This is ugly, but fools gold is fools gold.

The first wave of FA ain't worth it.

Ya gotta take it like a man.

woodbuck27
03-15-2013, 05:34 PM
http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2013/03/15/a-j-hawk-agrees-to-restructure-contract/

A.J. Hawk agrees to restructure contract.

Posted by Josh Alper on March 15, 2013, 5:28 PM EDT

" The numbers aren’t available yet, but PFT has confirmed that Hawk has agreed to redo the final three years of his deal. It was an expected move as Hawk stood to count $7.05 million against the salary cap for the 2013 season, a number that was getting in the way of Green Bay making other moves.

Including roster bonuses, Hawk was scheduled to make $5.2 million in 2013, $5.7 million in 2014 and $6.2 million in 2015 before the restructure. " Fr. LINK

red
03-15-2013, 05:37 PM

yeah yeah, giving a-rod a new deal, if it does happen this season, won't make our cap number go up that much (maybe 5 million), hell his number might even go down

raji has a cap number of 6.6 million next season. he's a 3-4 lineman. he's cap number probably won't go up that much, if any this year

both could be frontloaded like a-raods first contract, where he had a first year salary of 13 million, or they could do what every other team does and give them the vet minimum for the first couple of years with a big signing bonus

clay has a cap number of almost 5 million already, again his cap number might go up a bit with a new deal, but not a lot

its crazy to think we're cap strapped with almost 20 million available because we have to resign 3 guys. hell we could have 30 million in free cap space after signing those 3 if the deals are done like everyone else

every single team out there has guys they need to sign, yet they find room to sign help

woodbuck27
03-15-2013, 05:38 PM

Heck KY. If we can't have a wee bit of fun with it.

We might be checking the back of cheap magazines for ad's on hair transplants.

woodbuck27
03-15-2013, 05:42 PM
yeah yeah, giving a-rod a new deal, if it does happen this season, won't make our cap number go up that much (maybe 5 million), hell his number might even go down

raji has a cap number of 6.6 million next season. he's a 3-4 lineman. he's cap number probably won't go up that much, if any this year

both could be frontloaded like a-raods first contract, where he had a first year salary of 13 million, or they could do what every other team does and give them the vet minimum for the first couple of years with a big signing bonus

clay has a cap number of almost 5 million already, again his cap number might go up a bit with a new deal, but not a lot

its crazy to think we're cap strapped with almost 20 million available because we have to resign 3 guys. hell we could have 30 million in free cap space after signing those 3 if the deals are done like everyone else

every single team out there has guys they need to sign, yet they find room to sign help

Way to snap em upright red.

Here's the numbers I have on the mentioned players CAP hits for 2013:

Aaron Rodgers ... $9,750,000

BJ Raji ... $6,595,000

Clay Matthews ... $4,910,000

Before restructuring today AJ Hawk ... $7,050,000

It seems reasonable that Jermichael Finley, like it or not, will have to restructure of face the consequences. His CAP hit ... a ridiculosly high $8,750,000 !!!

and .... Just peaking at it a wee bit more.

Tramon Williams ... $8,500,000 !!!

Jarrett Bush ... $1,783,333

If you really look at it Ted Thompson can claw back more CAP space. He simply has to get that done.

GO PACK GO !

red
03-15-2013, 06:07 PM
and looking at those numbers woody

if hawk, finley and tramon don't step up there games this next year (if they're still on the team)

we could be clearing 20 million or more next offseason just like we did this offseason by drive and woodson leaving

you can always gain more cap room

so get some fucking players that fill some of our many holes

woodbuck27
03-15-2013, 06:20 PM

if hawk, finley and tramon don't step up there games this next year (if they're still on the team)

we could be clearing 20 million or more next offseason just like we did this offseason by drive and woodson leaving

That's right ! If the hired help is acting lazy, not showing up for work or otherwise not living up to your expectations and/or a discredit to all your paying for services.

Get rid of them 'outright' and hire new help. Lowering his/her wage isn't going to produce an enhanced result.

PaCkFan_n_MD
03-15-2013, 08:28 PM
Anyone know the numbers? How much do they save?

Rutnstrut
03-15-2013, 08:53 PM
I know it sucks to sit on the sideline during FA but we are underpaying AROD and CMIII about $20M per year if not more.

What good are they if they are the ONLY contributors?

ThunderDan
03-16-2013, 07:56 AM

Hawk just had one of his best years as a Packer. Tramon is the big question mark. Finley is in the last year of his contract so it doesn't matter what he does this year. He either plays like crap and doesn't resign or he plays great and the Packers have their franchise TE.

ThunderDan
03-16-2013, 08:01 AM
What good are they if they are the ONLY contributors?

Tell that to Cobb, Harris, Shields, Hayward, Jones, Jordy.

We have a lot of young talent that is a step away from being solid blue chip players.

Jones had his breakout year last year and I think that partially led to the depressed value for GJ in TT's mind.

When you have a QB who throws for 4,000+ yards every year there aren't a lot of additional yards to sprinkle around. Adding another superstar WR won't add an additional 1,000 yards and 8 TDs to the offense.

King Friday
03-16-2013, 09:27 AM

What the hell are you smoking? Clay is going to get a massive deal this offseason. Mario Williams set the bar last year with a 6 year, $96M contract. Clay is going to get something very similar. Even backloaded, that kind of deal is still going to have base salaries of at least $5M a year at the beginning, plus another $4-$6M on top of that to cover the huge signing bonus.

Clay's cap number IS going to move from $5M to over $10M this year. Count on it. That eats up about 1/3 of what we have available.

The bottom line is that Green Bay will not backload ALL of those big contracts upcoming. Sure, you can do it and have plenty of money now...then have to get rid of everyone 4 years later. We aren't the Washington Redskins, Red. Stop wishing us to be.

And they also wind up getting rid of most of these guys that everyone else is signing. Which is why those teams are continually .500 or worse. We are continually a 10 win a year team or better. I'll take that, thank you. Winning in March means JACK-SHIT. JACK-SHIT, Red. You damn well know that. Stop acting like a 3 year old. Teams make huge FA splashes every year. Philly did it a few years back. They were the "dream team". What did that get them? Is that what you really want to become of Green Bay, Red? Seriously? Miami has signed half of the available FAs this year, it seems. Guess what? I'll bet you $$$ they don't win more than 8 games next year. So what the hell does it matter if they "win" free agency this year?

STOP BEING STUPID, PEOPLE. You are better than this. You are a Green Bay Packers fan.

Brando19
03-16-2013, 09:40 AM
What the hell are you smoking? Clay is going to get a massive deal this offseason. Mario Williams set the bar last year with a 6 year, $96M contract. Clay is going to get something very similar. Even backloaded, that kind of deal is still going to have base salaries of at least $5M a year at the beginning, plus another $4-$6M on top of that to cover the huge signing bonus.

Clay's cap number IS going to move from $5M to over $10M this year. Count on it. That eats up about 1/3 of what we have available.

The bottom line is that Green Bay will not backload ALL of those big contracts upcoming. Sure, you can do it and have plenty of money now...then have to get rid of everyone 4 years later. We aren't the Washington Redskins, Red. Stop wishing us to be.

And they also wind up getting rid of most of these guys that everyone else is signing. Which is why those teams are continually .500 or worse. We are continually a 10 win a year team or better. I'll take that, thank you. Winning in March means JACK-SHIT. JACK-SHIT, Red. You damn well know that. Stop acting like a 3 year old. Teams make huge FA splashes every year. Philly did it a few years back. They were the "dream team". What did that get them? Is that what you really want to become of Green Bay, Red? Seriously? Miami has signed half of the available FAs this year, it seems. Guess what? I'll bet you $$$ they don't win more than 8 games next year. So what the hell does it matter if they "win" free agency this year?

STOP BEING STUPID, PEOPLE. You are better than this. You are a Green Bay Packers fan.

Someone woke up with spoiled milk in their corn flakes this morning!

Joemailman
03-16-2013, 10:05 AM
http://www.markstivers.com/wordpress/comics/2012-06-09-Sky-is-falling.gif

pbmax
03-16-2013, 10:33 AM
Anyone have the numbers? Haven't see a thing yet. In 2013 his base is, $4,900,000, pro-rated signing bonus is $1,600,000, other bonus is 550,000 and the cap hit is $ 7,050,000.

I would imagine, as I saw it was a one year only adjustment and an absolute paycut not a restructure, that he reduced his base salary down to $1 mil or below for 2013. So his savings to cap would be close to $4 million. Down from seven to 3 million.

Joemailman
03-16-2013, 10:56 AM
Anyone have the numbers? Haven't see a thing yet. In 2013 his base is, $4,900,000, pro-rated signing bonus is $1,600,000, other bonus is 550,000 and the cap hit is $ 7,050,000.

I would imagine, as I saw it was a one year only adjustment and an absolute paycut not a restructure, that he reduced his base salary down to $1 mil or below for 2013. So his savings to cap would be close to $4 million. Down from seven to 3 million.

No idea what the numbers are. I guess agents are as quick to release the numbers when their client has to take a pay cut.

Pugger
03-16-2013, 02:09 PM

Except to resign CM3, Raji and Rodgers.

Pugger
03-16-2013, 02:11 PM

And a woman.

Pugger
03-16-2013, 02:13 PM

With Jennings gone and Hawk restructured they will both be on the team this coming season. I hope Williams' shoulder is finally healed and we'll see the 2010 Tramon.

Pugger
03-16-2013, 02:15 PM
http://www.markstivers.com/wordpress/comics/2012-06-09-Sky-is-falling.gif

:lol:

red
03-16-2013, 02:26 PM

you talk big shit for being someone so fucking stupid that they can't comprehend how NFL contracts really work

i'm not saying we need to become the eagles from a few years ago where they signed everyone on the market

but we need, a real safety, some might say an upgrade to hawk, we need to do something different on the d-line, we need a real center, a real left tackle, and an NFL caliber running back, not to mention a decent backup QB

one or two of those areas could have been addressed this week, the draft will not fix all those issues

King Friday
03-16-2013, 04:39 PM
you talk big shit for being someone so fucking stupid that they can't comprehend how NFL contracts really work

You are the one who thinks that everyone else's REJECTS (that is what free agents are) are the holy grail of what will put us over the top.

swede
03-16-2013, 04:53 PM

i'm not saying we need to become the eagles from a few years ago where they signed everyone on the market

but we need, a real safety, some might say an upgrade to hawk, we need to do something different on the d-line, we need a real center, a real left tackle, and an NFL caliber running back, not to mention a decent backup QB

one or two of those areas could have been addressed this week, the draft will not fix all those issues

You are the one who thinks that everyone else's REJECTS (that is what free agents are) are the holy grail of what will put us over the top.

You idiots are both right!

pbmax
03-16-2013, 06:48 PM

Now I just read on Twitter (GBPGazette) that the deal modified all 3 remaining years. Could be anything in that deal now.

Guiness
03-16-2013, 07:08 PM
http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2013/03/15/a-j-hawk-agrees-to-restructure-contract/

A.J. Hawk agrees to restructure contract.

Posted by Josh Alper on March 15, 2013, 5:28 PM EDT

[I]" The numbers aren’t available yet, but PFT has confirmed that Hawk has agreed to redo the final three years of his deal. It was an expected move as Hawk stood to count $7.05 million against the salary cap for the 2013 season, a number that was getting in the way of Green Bay making other moves.

I'm surprised no one commented on this, or did only I find it funny? What other moves????

I'm not saying they should've, I'm saying this guy is the only one with the illusion that the Pack might make some moves :-D

pbmax
03-16-2013, 07:34 PM
Silverstein thinks they will have a shot to know the numbers Monday, or shortly thereafter.

KYPack
03-16-2013, 07:40 PM
And a woman.

Yo Pug.

Yeah, the stupid money season is tough on Packer fans of both sexes.

Pugger
03-16-2013, 11:46 PM
Yo Pug.

Yeah, the stupid money season is tough on Packer fans of both sexes.

Yes indeed. It ain't fun to watch other teams seemly improve by adding veterans while we sit on the sidelines. :neutral:

MJZiggy
03-17-2013, 11:31 AM
Yes indeed. It ain't fun to watch other teams seemly improve by adding veterans while we sit on the sidelines. :neutral:
And yet just moments ago it struck me that no matter what we want or who we pick up after all the big names are gone, we always seem to field a team in which EVERYONE makes some sort of contribution. There's no dead wood--when a big name goes down, we are deep enough that there is someone behind them who can still be effective. They may not have the biggest names, but they get their jobs done. TT is good at that.

Smeefers
03-17-2013, 06:21 PM
Just read an Ask Vic Column and he said something I've said myself many times now.

The goal isn't the super bowl. The Goal is getting into the playoffs every year so that you have a shot at the super bowl. The moment you start spending big this year is the moment you gamble away your future. This is not 1993 when free agency was new. There will be no more sure thing Reggie Whites. Never ever again. The closest you're going to get is a calculated risk. Charles Woodson came off a broken Leg. Drew Brees had a messed up throwing arm. These game changers always came with an asterisk so big that most of the league ignored them and the team that chanced on them won. That's not the norm, it's the anomaly. You don't win games in FA. You win them in the draft. If someone comes by that's a no brainer? Great. Pick him up. If SJ would have fallen into our laps, no one would complain. The second you start sacrificing your future to get a shot at the playoffs though, I think that's when you've already lost. There's a reason you don't see teams make big FA splashes year after year. It's because they eventually run out of money.

Joemailman
03-18-2013, 05:55 PM
Hawk's contract cut 7.25 mil over 3 years. Will receive 10.6 mil instead of 17.85 mil. http://www.jsonline.com/blogs/sports/198844231.html

red
03-18-2013, 06:17 PM
wow, huge cut

damn near half

now maybe people can stop bitching about him. hawk is not a bad middle LB for 4 million or so

red
03-18-2013, 06:31 PM
looking at the numbers, he's gonna get almost 1.5 million less in salary this year and next and about 2 million less in 2015

new cap numbers for him are

2013- 5.2 million
2014- 6.15
2015- 6.25

pbmax
03-18-2013, 07:50 PM
I like this entire contract much more now. He still made out OK for a second contract for a non-elite player and the hit is heavy over the last three years. But he made some good coin right out of the gate on this deal.

King Friday
03-18-2013, 08:28 PM
I think Thompson was very frank with Hawk. He told him that if he were to be cut, the chances of him securing a deal any better than what the Packers were offering as a renegotiation was remote. Based on what is happening in free agency, Hawk probably can surmise that Thompson is speaking the truth. Hawk is going to play best in the Packer system, where he has gained a comfort level and is surrounded by a number of other capable players to help manage Hawk's weaknesses. Going somewhere else means he has to start all over again...and probably takes a step back around the same time his athletic abilities start to decline. Not really a great scenario.

Hawk is very valuable to the Packers. He knows the system. He rarely is injured. He is a leader on the field and in the locker room. I think this is a win for both sides. Hawk can remain in Green Bay until his career is basically over...and the Packers don't have to look for his replacement for 2+ years.

swede
03-18-2013, 08:36 PM
I think Thompson was very frank with Hawk. He told him that if he were to be cut, the chances of him securing a deal any better than what the Packers were offering as a renegotiation was remote. Based on what is happening in free agency, Hawk probably can surmise that Thompson is speaking the truth. Hawk is going to play best in the Packer system, where he has gained a comfort level and is surrounded by a number of other capable players to help manage Hawk's weaknesses. Going somewhere else means he has to start all over again...and probably takes a step back around the same time his athletic abilities start to decline. Not really a great scenario.

Hawk is very valuable to the Packers. He knows the system. He rarely is injured. He is a leader on the field and in the locker room. I think this is a win for both sides. Hawk can remain in Green Bay until his career is basically over...and the Packers don't have to look for his replacement for 2+ years.

I am not sure that TT tells him that stuff. I think Hawk's agent make those calculations and tell his player "We might want to take this or get about the same or less somewhere else."

King Friday
03-18-2013, 08:37 PM
I am not sure that TT tells him that stuff. I think Hawk's agent make those calculations and tell his player "We might want to take this or get about the same or less somewhere else."

Well, that's what I meant. There is a reason why the player gives up a chunk of his cash to an agent...so they don't have to be bored to death talking to Thompson directly.

swede
03-18-2013, 08:49 PM
Well, that's what I meant. There is a reason why the player gives up a chunk of his cash to an agent...so they don't have to be bored to death talking to Thompson directly.

Ha ha. By now we know how he sounds. He'd be nice as a boss could possibly be. If someone is going to suck 3 and a half million dollars out of Hawk's pocket it might as well be the people who love him best.

Bretsky
03-18-2013, 08:57 PM
And yet just moments ago it struck me that no matter what we want or who we pick up after all the big names are gone, we always seem to field a team in which EVERYONE makes some sort of contribution. There's no dead wood--when a big name goes down, we are deep enough that there is someone behind them who can still be effective. They may not have the biggest names, but they get their jobs done. TT is good at that.

IMO there was plenty of dead woood last year. Several of them will not be with us next year

Bretsky
03-18-2013, 09:03 PM
Hawk is still overpaid but not as bad as it was

pbmax
03-19-2013, 08:05 AM
IMO there was plenty of dead woood last year. Several of them will not be with us next year

You leave Brad Jones out of this! His coverage will/could be missed. :lol:

denverYooper
03-19-2013, 09:22 AM
You leave Brad Jones out of this! His coverage will/could be missed. :lol:

Speaking of that, things have been quiet wrt Jones these last few days. Last the agent-media complex weighed in, there were several teams vying for his services.

pbmax
03-19-2013, 09:47 AM
Speaking of that, things have been quiet wrt Jones these last few days. Last the agent-media complex weighed in, there were several teams vying for his services.

No one can afford his skill set once they meet him in person.

Bretsky
03-19-2013, 10:51 AM

It's because nobody wants Brad Jones

HarveyWallbangers
03-19-2013, 05:01 PM
Considering Walden got $4M/year, I feel better about Hawk making less than that. Hawk is an average NFL starter (btw, he had a solid year last year). Walden is below average.

woodbuck27
03-19-2013, 05:05 PM
Just read an Ask Vic Column and he said something I've said myself many times now.

The goal isn't the super bowl. The Goal is getting into the playoffs every year so that you have a shot at the super bowl. The moment you start spending big this year is the moment you gamble away your future. This is not 1993 when free agency was new. There will be no more sure thing Reggie Whites. Never ever again. The closest you're going to get is a calculated risk. Charles Woodson came off a broken Leg. Drew Brees had a messed up throwing arm. These game changers always came with an asterisk so big that most of the league ignored them and the team that chanced on them won. That's not the norm, it's the anomaly. You don't win games in FA. You win them in the draft. If someone comes by that's a no brainer? Great. Pick him up. If SJ would have fallen into our laps, no one would complain. The second you start sacrificing your future to get a shot at the playoffs though, I think that's when you've already lost. There's a reason you don't see teams make big FA splashes year after year. It's because they eventually run out of money.

Good post.

woodbuck27
03-19-2013, 05:15 PM
Hawk's contract cut 7.25 mil over 3 years. Will receive 10.6 mil instead of 17.85 mil. http://www.jsonline.com/blogs/sports/198844231.html

Getting 'flushed out' with all that, had to be a humbling experience for AJ Hawk. Lofty $numbers$ all the same and Ted Thompson has to deal with 'the BIG THREE'. Take a bow Ted.

If someone told me that I was going to receive a bonus of $2.21 million' within a week. I'd be booking a trip to Barbados for Mae and I the next day.

PACKERS !

Guiness
03-19-2013, 05:17 PM
Considering Walden got $4M/year, I feel better about Hawk making less than that. Hawk is an average NFL starter (btw, he had a solid year last year). Walden is below average.

I'm really not clear on why the Colts gave him that contract. If they were bidding against anyone, it would seem to be themselves. $4M to a guy the Pack didn't even tender?

pbmax
03-19-2013, 07:20 PM
I'm really not clear on why the Colts gave him that contract. If they were bidding against anyone, it would seem to be themselves. $4M to a guy the Pack didn't even tender?

I have news from GBPG on that and Chuck Pagano fills us in. Join me in the bumped Walden thread.

woodbuck27
03-26-2013, 10:16 AM
It's because nobody wants Brad Jones

Comment woodbuck27:

Except the Green Bay Packers and that, take from Peter and give to (share with) Paul atmosphere.

It's like family in Green Bay. Try to keep them all reasonably comfortable even if the table is a tad crowded.

One happy player Greg Jennings goes so another, Jermichael Finley can stay.

AJ Hawk takes a pay cut, yet 'FLASH' more cash in hand. So Brad Jones can return to Green Bay with a raise when noone else shows the $dough$.

Everybody wins! Everyone is happy !!

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2013/03/25/hawk-gives-up-nearly-2-million-to-stay-in-packers-plans/

GO PACK GO !