PDA

View Full Version : Jennings signs with Vikings

PaCkFan_n_MD
03-15-2013, 06:24 PM
Breaking news on rotoworld.com

pbmax
03-15-2013, 06:24 PM
Schefter Tweeted it as well. Five year deal.

pbmax
03-15-2013, 06:28 PM
More fun with Restaurant metaphors!

mike freeman ‏@realfreemancbs
Packers player in text to me: "I don't blame Greg at all. I just think he made a mistake. He went from prime rib to Burger King."
Retweeted by Jason Wilde

PaCkFan_n_MD
03-15-2013, 06:31 PM
http://www.rotoworld.com/headlines/nfl/258180/vikings-land-greg-jennings-to-boost-wr-corps

Vikings agreed to terms with Greg Jennings, formerly of the Packers, on a five-year contract.

Minnesota put the full-court press on Jennings on Thursday night by bringing in coach Leslie Frazier and star RE Jared Allen to dinner. It must have worked, and the money must have been right. After trading away Percy Harvin earlier in the week, GM Rick Spielman badly needed to find someone to replace his production. Jennings, 29, can play the slot, but he also isn't limited to it. The way the receiver corps looks now, we'd expect Jennings and Jerome Simpson to play on the outside with Jarius Wright in the slot. Minnesota also has two first-round picks to potentially add to the group. Jennings' signing is a good get for Christian Ponder and his development.

woodbuck27
03-15-2013, 06:33 PM
I just watched that news on NFL Access.

So that's the end of Greg Jennings 'Green Bay Packer'.

It's now Greg Jennings 'Minnesota Viking'.

PaCkFan_n_MD
03-15-2013, 06:36 PM
He wanted to sign anywhere but green bay. I have a strong feeling he just didnt want to play for us anymore. If he did he would have worked something out. I have a feeling it has something to do with Rodgers. I don't think his sister bashing Rodgers was just random.

red
03-15-2013, 06:39 PM
thats why you tag and trade

you don't let your good players go to your rivals

and the tag wouldn't have cost more then TT was willing to pay anyways

woodbuck27
03-15-2013, 06:40 PM
http://www.dailynorseman.com/2013/3/15/4103844/minnesota-vikings-sign-greg-jennings-nfl-free-agency

Habemus Packem: Minnesota Vikings Sign Greg Jennings.

By Christopher Gates on Mar 15 2013 ... 6:14 PM

" So, it appears the Vikings have at least made a start towards filling the gaping hole at the wide receiver position. There's still plenty of work left to do, but considering that there's still six weeks until the 2013 NFL Draft and much, much longer than that until the kickoff of the 2013 regular season, at least they've taken that first step." Fr. LINK

gbpackfan
I have never subscribed to "the sky is falling" theory when it comes to TT and free agency. But, I just can't understand how a GM, who is so close to the Super Bowl, can not make A move here and A move there. Im not saying spend big and try and build a "dream team." But this team NEEDS a few pieces. San Fran ran over us and our team has only gotten weaker the last couple of days, not stronger. Upgrade TWO positions via free agency. GMs have several tools to build a team. Free agency is one of them. USE IT. So frustrating. Im not freaking out, just making a point. Losing Jennings hurt. Not having a real running back hurts. Not having TWO good safeties hurts. Not having a pass rush, besides Clay, hurts. Rookies can't fix all of these problems.

red
thats a huge GM fuck up on TT's part in my book

PaCkFan_n_MD
03-15-2013, 06:42 PM

Thats a solid point. If we were willing to pay him 10 mil/year then we should have tagged him. We have more than enough room. I don't like how TT played this one at all.

pbmax
03-15-2013, 06:45 PM

After the injury it would have. Let's see the numbers before calling the tag scenario, though. Vikings might have made Eugene Parker's day and possibly not.

PaCkFan_n_MD
03-15-2013, 06:45 PM
In the last two offseasons are have lost a lot more talent than we have gained. Wells, Jenkins, Woodson, Jennings, and Collins all gone. Williams hurt as well. If Sherrod and Perry don't pan out we might be falling out of elite status soon.

Teamcheez1
03-15-2013, 06:46 PM
Thats a solid point. If we were willing to pay him 10 mil/year then we should have tagged him. We have more than enough room. I don't like how TT played this one at all.

You really think TT offered him $10M a year? I highly doubt it. I'm not as worried about losing GJ as some of you. Back away from the cliff.

red
03-15-2013, 06:48 PM
so, just for the record

TT for a gem in the draft, we groomed him,

and when he was in his prime, we let him walk to our rival, FOR NOTHING. sure we'll get a 4th or 5th round comp pick for it next year, but a player like that going to your rival who desperately needs a player at his position

you gotta make them pay for it. they should have had to give up at least a first rounder for a talent like that

my fears are starting to come true. will we become a farm club for other teams? will we start to find and groom talent only to pass them off to other clubs when its time for them to be paid

red
03-15-2013, 06:49 PM
You really think TT offered him $10M a year? I highly doubt it. I'm not as worried about losing GJ as some of you. Back away from the cliff.

if GJ would have gone to any of 29 other teams i wouldn't be bitching

you Cannot let him go to your closest competition in your own division, for nothing

it might not hurt our team much, but you just let a rival get better

unacceptable

PaCkFan_n_MD
03-15-2013, 06:50 PM

I'm not on a cliff. Football is not my life, it is something I enjoy. I'm simply pointing out that with as much cap room as we have I think TT could have handle this one better. Make him play another year on the team if nothing else.

Brando19
03-15-2013, 06:50 PM
TT SUCKS at this free agency thing! This really sucks and is gonna hurt this team.

PaCkFan_n_MD
03-15-2013, 06:53 PM

you Cannot let him go to your closest competition in your own division, for nothing

unacceptable

I agree with this. If anything make him play another year on the team (tag him) if it means he goes to the Vikings. But I suspect this had a personal side to it as well but Jennings is not saying anything.

woodbuck27
He wanted to sign anywhere but green bay. I have a strong feeling he just didnt want to play for us anymore. If he did he would have worked something out. I have a feeling it has something to do with Rodgers. I don't think his sister bashing Rodgers was just random.

I'm aware that you were a fan of Greg Jennings and so his leaving may cause you mixed feelings. It comes down to this. What will be...will be.

I saw some proof just yesterday that supports your feeling that Greg Jennings wasn't at all happy playing for the Packers and with Aaron Rodgers.

I won't post that proof on this forum. I had to dig to find it. Anyone else can simply do the same.

What I found made it obvious to me that his time in Green Bay was over.

Iron Mike
I guess we'll have to put this one out to pasture:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1P0yfq2wDvU

red
03-15-2013, 06:57 PM
i went to the same college as GJ, hell i watched him play B-ball when he was in high school. when he was drafted by GB i sent him and email welcoming him to the packers, and he replied. i loved him as a packer and though he was the perfect "packer-person"

but as of today, he's a turncoat little bitch

he's the enemy, the lowest of the low

denverYooper
03-15-2013, 06:57 PM
Loved me some Greg Jennings, but they don't exactly need him. Cobb will fill that spot just fine.

denverYooper
03-15-2013, 06:59 PM
i went to the same college as GJ, hell i watched him play B-ball when he was in high school. when he was drafted by GB i sent him and email welcoming him to the packers, and he replied. i loved him as a packer and though he was the perfect "packer-person"

but as of today, he's a turncoat little bitch

he's the enemy, the lowest of the low

You went to WMU, eh?

Spend a lot of time at Bell's?

red
03-15-2013, 07:00 PM
You went to WMU, eh?

Spend a lot of time at Bell's?

oh, i spent my fair share of time there, back before they opened up the bigger brewery out in comstock

i remember it being like a holiday every year when oberon hit the taps

Willard
03-15-2013, 07:03 PM
Do you think he'll respond to your new email telling him to break a leg?

red
03-15-2013, 07:05 PM
Do you think he'll respond to your new email telling him to break a leg?

i'm tempted to try, i still have it

pbmax
03-15-2013, 07:08 PM

unacceptable

I'm not on a cliff. Football is not my life, it is something I enjoy. I'm simply pointing out that with as much cap room as we have I think TT could have handle this one better. Make him play another year on the team if nothing else.

Its not a given that the Vikes would have coughed up picks for Jennings, we need to see the contract to hazard any kind of guess. And after his injury further muddled his market, I don't think anyone wanted to risk $10 mil guaranteed on him.

Yes he goes to a rival but its the Vikings and not the Bears or Lions. And that contract, whatever it is now prevents them from getting younger and better. Their defense needs a rebuild and Greg will be quite well along by then.

One of the complaints I found compelling, if not persuasive, about Thompson during Favre-a-poolza was Christl's argument that they should have just bitten the bullet and released Favre rather than trade him to a select team. I felt that Favre was the wrong person to allow to go to Minny (where he surely would have landed) and represented a direct threat to the well-being of a franchise.

But as for other players, I prefer the Packers giving the players who have abided by their contract terms the ability to hit the market and try to get the best deal.

I don't think this should stop Ted from tagging, but if you aren't going to tag, I really don't care if they all end up in Minny.

Old School
03-15-2013, 07:09 PM
We have found the enemy and he is Greg.

Joemailman
03-15-2013, 07:10 PM

I'm wondering if the league has told teams not to use the franchise tag to trade someone. Don't you have to wonder why no one else is doing it?

pbmax
03-15-2013, 07:11 PM
Demovsky's Twitter:

Even without seeing the numbers, it's safe to say Jennings gambled and lost on that deal.

Think @jasonjwilde wrote this a while back but was told again today #Packers offered Jennings in the neighborhood of $10 million/yr last yr.

red
03-15-2013, 07:14 PM
I'm wondering if the league has told teams not to use the franchise tag to trade someone. Don't you have to wonder why no one else is doing it?

its happened plenty before

thats one of the reason why they have the franchise tag, so you can get something for your players that you develop

woodbuck27
03-15-2013, 07:16 PM

No Packer fan.

You saw it and already posted it.

Ted Thompson could not tag Greg Jennings for two reasons. In so doing he had to risk that the Vikings would be a leading candidate for his services.

a) The cost of the franchise tag for Greg Jennings weighed against the risks (ie his health and drop in productivity since 2010).

That cost exceeding that $10 million$ rumoured offer that's been bandied about and refuted at Packerrats as not sensable too, improbable.

b) I'm sure that Ted Thompson and others within the Packer organization and locker room were aware that Greg Jennings was a risk to be a problem for team morale, if he was tagged. Greg Jennings made it very clear that he wouldn't be pleased to be tagged. Frankly... Greg Jennings wasn't pleased with his role on the team. Clearly Greg Jennings wanted out of Green Bay.

MJZiggy
03-15-2013, 07:17 PM
(going to FB to unfriend him...) Our receiving corps is good, but I won't say that losing Driver and Jennings in the same year doesn't give me pause. That said, I'm still more concerned with the secondary.

Joemailman
03-15-2013, 07:18 PM
its happened plenty before

thats one of the reason why they have the franchise tag, so you can get something for your players that you develop

When was the last time it happened? I know the Packers did it about 5 years ago, but I don't recall any recent instances. Anyone got any info on this?

Willard
03-15-2013, 07:19 PM
One more reason (as if I needed one) to hate the vikes. Hopefully TT at least upped the ante to force MN to increase their offer. GJ started to bother me last season. Now that he wears purple I wish him no success whatsoever moving forward. We gotta hope Jones/Nelson/Cobb/Finley and somebody new help keep the Pack's aerial attack potent. I still have hope that Finley will get his act together and deliver on the promise. Now let's get another Safety to unload on the Vike's latest receiver.

red
03-15-2013, 07:20 PM
Its not a given that the Vikes would have coughed up picks for Jennings, we need to see the contract to hazard any kind of guess. And after his injury further muddled his market, I don't think anyone wanted to risk $10 mil guaranteed on him.

Yes he goes to a rival but its the Vikings and not the Bears or Lions. And that contract, whatever it is now prevents them from getting younger and better. Their defense needs a rebuild and Greg will be quite well along by then.

One of the complaints I found compelling, if not persuasive, about Thompson during Favre-a-poolza was Christl's argument that they should have just bitten the bullet and released Favre rather than trade him to a select team. I felt that Favre was the wrong person to allow to go to Minny (where he surely would have landed) and represented a direct threat to the well-being of a franchise.

But as for other players, I prefer the Packers giving the players who have abided by their contract terms the ability to hit the market and try to get the best deal.

I don't think this should stop Ted from tagging, but if you aren't going to tag, I really don't care if they all end up in Minny.

there is no team loyalty as far as players are concerned, players will switch clubs over twenty bucks, its all a big business. teams need to get as much as they can for these players while they can, for as little as they can, while they have them

we didn't tag jennings, we made him a great offer during the season, he pissed in our face over it and his sister called us cheap asses. then he goes to our closest rival. think he's saying "boy i really appreciate how nice it was of the packers to not tag me?", and should we give a shit if he does?

hell no, he's now a viking, he's goal is to beat the shit out of us

MadtownPacker
03-15-2013, 07:23 PM
I didn't see this was the GJ whining thread.

Yeah he is gone so what. He will never be the guy who caught that TD pass down the middle in the Super Bowl. He got paid and I dont hold it against him. I'm sure we will get some bulletin board material from him about Rodgers but I highly doubt he tears it up in MN. Rather see TT draft WRs and buy OL and defense instead.

Willard
5-yr, $47.5M

hawaii50
I'm ok with the move provided:

1). Minnesota overspends and drives the compensatory pick up
2). Ted uses the cap money ($5-10M) that would have went to GJ this year on an actual FA that can impact the team (i.e. Bernard Pollard, Elvis, etc.)

Also, GJ was a luxury with injury concerns. We need to spend that money on positions we are weaker at (i.e. OL, S, LB, DL, to name a few). Doesn't matter how many good WRs we have if we don't give Rodgers enough time to throw, or if we are being dominated on defense which keeps our offense off the field.

woodbuck27
03-15-2013, 07:25 PM
Greg Jennings is all smiles right now on NFL Access. The Vikings are delighted to have his skills on the field and leadership.

He received a Five (5) year $47.5 million$ contract. Specific terms will follow.

red
03-15-2013, 07:26 PM
I'm ok with the move provided:

1). Minnesota overspends and drives up the compensatory pick up
2). Ted uses the cap money ($5-10M) that would have went to GJ this year on an actual FA that can impact the team (i.e. Bernard Pollard, Elvis, etc.)

time to bring in jake long for a visit

red
03-15-2013, 07:27 PM
Greg Jennings is all smiles right now on NFL Access. The Vikings are delighted to have his skills on the field and leadership.

He received a Five (5) year $47.5 million$ contract. Specific terms will follow.'

not horrible, not great

he lost money by being greedy

Joemailman
03-15-2013, 07:29 PM
I don't see this as a great calamity. I don't think the Vikings are appreciably better than they were before they lost Harvin/signed Jennings, and I don't think the Packers are appreciably worse without Jennings.

Little Whiskey
03-15-2013, 07:29 PM
does he get boo'd on his return to GB next year?

Teamcheez1
03-15-2013, 07:31 PM

Favre will be welcomed back some day. Jennings is nothing to this franchise anymore.

red
03-15-2013, 07:32 PM

without a doubt

going to minnesota is a big FUCK YOU to the packers and packer fans

MadtownPacker
03-15-2013, 07:32 PM
Fuck yeah he has to get booed! What fun would it be otherwise? Like Mailman said it don't make them better and it don't make us worse.

MadtownPacker
03-15-2013, 07:34 PM
without a doubt

going to minnesota is a big FUCK YOU to the packers and packer fans
Here one for you....

FUCK YOU!!

Teamcheez1
03-15-2013, 07:35 PM
According to ESPN:

The contract has a maximum value of $47.5 mlllion, with $18 million guaranteed. The contract is worth a minimum of $27 million over the first three years, and could be as much as $28.5 million over the first three years if he goes to the Pro Bowl, according to ESPN and media reports

Way more than we should have (or would have) paid.

red
I don't see this as a great calamity. I don't think the Vikings are appreciably better than they were before they lost Harvin/signed Jennings, and I don't think the Packers are appreciably worse without Jennings.

its not the end of the world for us, but it is upsetting

it doesn't make them the better team, but it does close the gap between the two

woodbuck27

"One of the complaints I found compelling, if not persuasive, about Thompson during Favre-a-poolza was Christl's argument that they should have just bitten the bullet and released Favre rather than trade him to a select team. I felt that Favre was the wrong person to allow to go to Minny (where he surely would have landed) and represented a direct threat to the well-being of a franchise.

But as for other players, I prefer the Packers giving the players who have abided by their contract terms the ability to hit the market and try to get the best deal." pbmax

Pbmax...flip that over and simply ask yourself. If you were Brett Favre how would you look at it.

GO PACK GO !

Little Whiskey
03-15-2013, 07:36 PM
its a shame. he could have been the next DD. he could have collected on his GB fame for years to come after he retired in team sponsored endorsements. now he is just another Ryan Longwell/Darren Sharper type.

red
03-15-2013, 07:38 PM
Here one for you....

FUCK YOU!!

chinga tu madre, pendejo

woodbuck27
03-15-2013, 07:47 PM

With all the draft picks for Percy Harvin and Greg Jennings many would argue that the Vikings are better today and in the future than when they had Percy Harvin.

Losing Greg Jennings certainly hurts our teams WR depth and must be addressed. Otherwise losing him is one of those 'no fault no harm' things. His time with the Packers was done.

woodbuck27
03-15-2013, 07:50 PM
According to ESPN:

The contract has a maximum value of $47.5 mlllion, with $18 million guaranteed. The contract is worth a minimum of $27 million over the first three years, and could be as much as $28.5 million over the first three years if he goes to the Pro Bowl, according to ESPN and media reports

Way more than we should have (or would have) paid.

No wonder Greg Jennings looked so happy during his press converence on NFL Access. He did very well for his family.

Freak Out
03-15-2013, 07:51 PM
Fuck the Queens and Jennings.

Zool
03-15-2013, 07:53 PM
Fucking Packers west as usual. Not good enough to draft and develop their own so they poach when they can. Too bad they will still suck. Fuck you Greg. I'll be booing up until his injury in week 5 and then again week 11.

Teamcheez1
03-15-2013, 07:56 PM
So, should TT have forked over $9M a year for Jennings?

I say no, and apparently he did too.

red
03-15-2013, 07:56 PM
No wonder Greg Jennings looked so happy during his press converence on NFL Access. He did very well for his family.

now he can afford that diamond encrusted bridle that his horse face sister so desperately needed

pittstang5
03-15-2013, 07:57 PM
Fuckin Sellout!

I remember when he was drafted....Greg Who, form where?!?! The Packers staff, McCarthy, TT, A-rod, hell, even Brett Favre - MADE him the receiver he is. TT doesn't draft him, I highly doubt Jennings becomes a # 1 receiver. He OWES the Packers everything he's gotten. And this is how he repays them - by jumping ship?

What a dick!

Ah, I feel better now.

swede
03-15-2013, 08:04 PM
Kampmann(who we matched and got back), Sharper, Longwell, Favre, Jennings...who else is on the list?

woodbuck27
03-15-2013, 08:04 PM
now he can afford that diamond encrusted bridle that his horse face sister so desperately needed

'Of course' not to be confused with:

http://t2.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcSgr_OCpig35W3brMJPMdu7ZK6PxVMs1 WmIzsY6yDgSTnwv_3KN

or Is this better?

http://t1.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcR5zORABq9kt_gvFIIJk4X-LDAs1V-plnTX4zzjSjzZBe9g1iaa

pittstang5
03-15-2013, 08:05 PM
Kampmann(who we matched and got back), Sharper, Longwell, Favre, Jennings...who else is on the list?

Fergie - although, who cares.

swede
03-15-2013, 08:06 PM
Hey Sarah...why the long face?

Old School
03-15-2013, 08:07 PM
I Saw some(as much as I could stand) of his news conference. The way he was slinging the BS, he should have had his wife, kids, and big mouthed sister backing him up with giant pooper scoopers. Maybe he was practicing for a run for Congress.

woodbuck27
03-15-2013, 08:10 PM
Hey Sarah...why the long face?

Only her mother knows for sure, Swede. Maybe she's a Green Bay Packer fan?

My personal favourite 'Horseface':

http://t1.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcSbug3HoT593pQbnt14vBs3eVUSTS9oh GxiQHYUIqR-9Fc84fs4

heeheehaahuu !

http://t1.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQezYXyGW3iUrchsTtWAbLL1dP77A5fe rIc-WaGCYDB7D-wYlax

PaCkFan_n_MD
03-15-2013, 08:11 PM
http://www.nfl.com/videos/nfl-network-total-access/0ap2000000151099/Vikings-introduce-Jennings

Willard
03-15-2013, 08:13 PM
Beautiful.

woodbuck27
03-15-2013, 08:18 PM
I Saw some(as much as I could stand) of his news conference. The way he was slinging the BS, he should have had his wife, kids, and big mouthed sister backing him up with giant pooper scoopers. Maybe he was practicing for a run for Congress.

Greg Jennings family pet 'Buster' hard at work:

http://25.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_ljf0k6HYbA1qzr1oao1_500.jpg

Teamcheez1
03-15-2013, 08:20 PM
Hypothetical:

What if TT had $6-8M on the table for Jennings? We will never know, but it's not far-fetched to believe he had a decent offer on the table that the Vikings had to beat.

pittstang5
03-15-2013, 08:23 PM
Hypothetical:

What if TT had $6-8M on the table for Jennings? We will never know, but it's not far-fetched to believe he had a decent offer on the table that the Vikings had to beat.

Money aside - I'm just pissed he went to the Vikings.

Teamcheez1
03-15-2013, 08:25 PM
Money aside - I'm just pissed he went to the Vikings.

My point is that everybody is bashing TT because of this deal, when we probably don't know half the story.

Old School
03-15-2013, 08:30 PM
Hilareous Woodbuck!!!!

woodbuck27
03-15-2013, 08:34 PM
http://www.nfl.com/videos/nfl-network-total-access/0ap2000000151099/Vikings-introduce-Jennings

Personally I'm going to remember Greg Jennings for the fine WR that he was for the Green Bay Packers. He wasn't at all happy in Green Bay this season and that fact was obvious. He rolled the dice in free agency and landed a good contract and position for himself and his family. All of that was his business.

woodbuck27
03-15-2013, 08:37 PM
My point is that everybody is bashing TT because of this deal, when we probably don't know half the story.

It was all right in front of us like writing on a wall.

Brando19
03-15-2013, 08:39 PM
It was all right in front of us like writing on a wall.

What exactly did you find on the internet about Jennings relationship with the Packers?

Joemailman
03-15-2013, 08:40 PM
Personally I'm going to remember Greg Jennings for the fine WR that he was for the Green Bay Packers. He wasn't at all happy in Green Bay this season and that fact was obvious. He rolled the dice in free agency and landed a good contract and position for himself and his family. All of that was his business.

And hating anyone who wears the purple is our business.

Joemailman
03-15-2013, 08:54 PM
Caption This:

http://i.usatoday.net/communitymanager/_photos/the-huddle/2011/10/06/jenningsfavrex-large.jpg

Greg, you should finish your career here. It drives those people nuts! Just don't expect to go to any Super Bowls.

Spaulding
03-15-2013, 08:58 PM

Personally I'd be pissed if TT paid that much to keep Jennings. He's a luxury, not a need and high risk given age and recent injuries. Will be disturbed though if we don't soon hear that Rodgers and Matthews aren't soon extended.

woodbuck27
03-15-2013, 09:07 PM
What exactly did you find on the internet about Jennings relationship with the Packers?

I've already posted that I won't post 'the specifics of' that information.

woodbuck27
03-15-2013, 09:50 PM
http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2013/03/15/jennings-insists-that-hes-not-old/

Jennings insists that he’s not old

Posted by Mike Florio on March 15, 2013, 10:24 PM EDT

" “I’m not old,” Jennings said during his introductory press conference, via NFL.com. “I’m 29. I’m not old. Let me throw that out there. I am 29-years-old, I will not be 30 until well after the league year starts.”

Regardless, he’ll be 30 on September 21 — early in the 2013 season. But he nevertheless scored a healthy contract from the Vikings despite his age and the fact that he didn’t have a very good contract year." Fr. LINK

Comment woodbuck27:

Let me see!??

a) A street in Green Bay, Wisconsin named after him.

b) A $47.5 million$ contract with the Minnesota Vikings for the security of his family.

What should he have chosen?

Brando19
03-15-2013, 10:59 PM
Ummm...how about the $10 million a year with the Pack that he foolishly turned down...and the street?

Packers4Glory
03-15-2013, 11:01 PM
I've already posted that I won't post 'the specifics of' that information.

Absolutely retarded. I hate that mentality. Wtf is this forum for? " It's mine and you can't have it"

It's your precious. Lord of The Jennings Info

Doooosh

Brando19
03-15-2013, 11:03 PM
Absolutely retarded. I hate that mentality. Wtf is this forum for? " It's mine and you can't have it"

It's your precious. Lord of The Jennings Info

Doooosh

Agreed. It's like we're in second grade and he has a secret he's not telling.

Joemailman
03-15-2013, 11:25 PM
Anybody screw up by buying a Jennings jersey last year?

Brando19
03-15-2013, 11:26 PM
If so I'd say its on fire right now.

George Cumby
03-15-2013, 11:57 PM
Kwitcherbitchin' you buncha' pussies. Fer chrissakes, you all got some sand in your collective vag'?

Fer fucks sake, the dude is 30, he's past his prime, he is routinely injured, he won't have ARod pitchin' to him with Jordy pulling defenses away from him.

Furthermore, although the Vikes fleeced the 'Hawks for Harvin, they have grossly overpaid for GJ.

woodbuck27
03-16-2013, 12:24 AM
Agreed. It's like we're in second grade and he has a secret he's not telling.

What I discovered and splashing that on this forum will not change the water on the beans.

If anyone on this forum imagined that Greg Jennings was happy in Green Bay this season they wern't paying enough attention to his ways. I thought I saw something months ago and began simply paying attention more to him and began digging. It's amazing what may be published on the internet that can come down to haunt you. Maybe something based in emotion that you regret.

You can fuss all you want. This isn't a tea party. This is a football forum. To post what I discovered won't do any good and might cause some harm. I've chosen to simply keep it to myself. If you have to get 'all in a tizzy' over my choice.

Deal with yourself.

smuggler
03-16-2013, 03:18 AM
Thought I would chime in on this - if Jennings plays all 16 games and gets ~1000 yards receiving, we will receive a 3rd round comp pick for him, not a 4th or 5th as Red suggested.

In the last few years, I began to sour on Jennings, though not too badly. He was my favorite player from his rookie year up to about 2008.

In 2009, he made a mistake in the playoff game that I will always remember. In 2010, he let a pass go off his hands that would have been a 70+ yard touchdown and it was intercepted by some hapless Lions DB. In 2011, he dropped (Pass Interference, to be fair) a beautifully thrown TD pass on the left sideline from Rodgers. In this last year against the 49ers, he let a ball go through his hands that would have been a TD to cut the deficit to 7.

I know there were a couple of backyard plays that Jennings sneaked open and Rodgers missed badly (in the Giants playoff game last year, for one example) and I think another crucial time as well, but I think that there must have been something going on under the table between Jennings and Rodgers. They had great chemistry in 2008 but then it all started falling apart.

Oh well, I'll take the comp pick and hope for the best.

wootah
03-16-2013, 04:32 AM
Our receiving corps is good, but I won't say that losing Driver and Jennings in the same year doesn't give me pause.

http://i.imgur.com/RdT6R.gif

Jimx29
03-16-2013, 04:45 AM
http://i.imgur.com/pibxpxY.jpg

Brando19
03-16-2013, 06:15 AM
What I discovered and splashing that on this forum will not change the water on the beans.

If anyone on this forum imagined that Greg Jennings was happy in Green Bay this season they wern't paying enough attention to his ways. I thought I saw something months ago and began simply paying attention more to him and began digging. It's amazing what may be published on the internet that can come down to haunt you. Maybe something based in emotion that you regret.

You can fuss all you want. This isn't a tea party. This is a football forum. To post what I discovered won't do any good and might cause some harm. I've chosen to simply keep it to myself. If you have to get 'all in a tizzy' over my choice.

Deal with yourself.

You have some serious issues, my friend. Always wear your helmet when you go up and down stairs.

pittstang5
03-16-2013, 06:33 AM

Deal with yourself.

If you have no intention of sharing, you should not have said anything.
It's your right to not divulge, but why mention it? You had to have known someone was going to ask.

King Friday
03-16-2013, 09:40 AM
Good riddance. As long as we have Rodgers, paying $9M for a WR is lunacy.

pbmax
03-16-2013, 10:04 AM
Fuckin Sellout!

I remember when he was drafted....Greg Who, form where?!?! The Packers staff, McCarthy, TT, A-rod, hell, even Brett Favre - MADE him the receiver he is. TT doesn't draft him, I highly doubt Jennings becomes a # 1 receiver.

I will always remember his and Collin's draft with pleasure because everyone lost their mind over both picks. Jennings should have been Chad Jackson and Collins should have been anyone else.

I will be old and in the home and those memories will make me smile. Not because I was right (I had no idea) but because almost everyone else was convinced Thompson was mentally compromised. He might not take pleasure in that, so I will for him. :lol:

rdanomly
03-16-2013, 10:14 AM
Normally I wouldn't be too concerned about this year's crop of FA signings with other teams. TT has been pretty capable at finding value free agents and drafting strong. However, what is a little different now is the continued loses at the executive level. I don't know if it is as easy to restock those shelves and there are no compensatory picks for grooming someone else's future GM, VP, etc.

But as far as GJ goes, good for him getting some money. I hope he does well enough to get a decent comp pick, but that a resurgent TWill shuts him down twice a year for the near future...

Spaulding
03-16-2013, 10:14 AM
So here's a question. Which would make our offense better?

A) Greg Jennings for roughly 9mil/year
B) Jake Long at LT for roughly 9mil/year

Doesn't sound like we're even interested in Long and reports are he's asking for North of 10mil/year but just what if you could have Long for roughly the price of Jennings? Both have been injured as of late but otherwise excellent players.

pbmax
03-16-2013, 10:20 AM
He got a better deal and more money to ply a trade in a very rough sport, one that can take away your ability to earn a living at a moment's notice. I hold nothing against him and wish him the best except for 2 times a year. If that $18 mil guaranteed number is not agent fluff and puff, then its a no-brainer.

Unlike the QB (and unlike what woodbuck is trying to suggest), he did not try to manipulate the front office, fans or those around him except to maximize his contract.

No one (well, with the exception of woodbuck) expects loyalty from teams, having long ago learned the lesson that teams do not hold it as a high priority. Its ludicrous to expect it from players. He is not in the same position as Favre or Driver where a Packer legacy will probably offer a very lucrative second career as a Packer icon/spokesmodel. He would always be choice B between himself and Driver for events and memorabilia sales and a distant 3rd if Favre ever returns.

I am glad he was a Packer. I wish him (almost) the best.

Badgerinmaine
03-16-2013, 10:48 AM

Doesn't sound like we're even interested in Long and reports are he's asking for North of 10mil/year but just what if you could have Long for roughly the price of Jennings? Both have been injured as of late but otherwise excellent players.
If that's the choice, I'd take Long in a heartbeat. Even if it's not, I still am okay with what happened, even if it feels disappointing. Nobody but Minnesota seemed to be interested at Jennings' price and I reconciled myself to this a while ago. Without Cobb's progress this past season, I would have felt differently, but there's too many needs around to overpay Jennings. I'm personally a very loyal person--to my family, my employer, my church, my friends, and my teams. I would have had a hard time leaving Green Bay. I wish the world was more that way, but it just isn't. And the NFL isn't, either. I think it's too easy to take it personally. That can create some righteous anger and blood pressure that may feel good for a while, but just isn't going to do any good. At least GJ didn't hem and haw and play the drama queen role like Brett Favre did. And even Vince Lombardi himself left GB for Washington when they offered him what he was looking for. So I'll echo Patler's comment of wishing him almost well except when he plays GB.

pbmax
03-16-2013, 11:02 AM
You have some serious issues, my friend. Always wear your helmet when you go up and down stairs.

If you have no intention of sharing, you should not have said anything.
It's your right to not divulge, but why mention it? You had to have known someone was going to ask.

He is generally referring to this sentiment:

Tyler Dunne ‏@TyDunne
A lot of angry people on here. Just remember Greg Jennings pretty much said he wasn't going to be back three months ago. Now, it's official.

Plus his sister's comments. The general sense that the Packer ride was over for Jennings. I think writing was on the wall after he turned down their last offer, got hurt and the Packers did not re-offer/reduced the offer/refused to do same number of years/guarantee as the Vikings.

denverYooper
03-16-2013, 12:09 PM
He is generally referring to this sentiment:

Tyler Dunne ‏@TyDunne
A lot of angry people on here. Just remember Greg Jennings pretty much said he wasn't going to be back three months ago. Now, it's official.

Plus his sister's comments. The general sense that the Packer ride was over for Jennings. I think writing was on the wall after he turned down their last offer, got hurt and the Packers did not re-offer/reduced the offer/refused to do same number of years/guarantee as the Vikings.

Let's not forget the multiple concussions earlier in the year. That's got to give the Packers brass pause also. I remember speculating on here whether that could be career threatening, given the league's newly found concern (read, getting sued) for concussions.

Packers4Glory
03-16-2013, 12:17 PM
I doubt TT even reached out to Jake Long's agent. If he's asking 10+ then that's prolly why he's still unsigned.

Pugger
03-16-2013, 01:48 PM

But he wasn't in big demand this FA period, was he? The damn fool screwed himself by asking for the moon. Have fun catching passes from Ponder and/or Cassell buddy. ;-)

Pugger
03-16-2013, 01:50 PM
Anybody screw up by buying a Jennings jersey last year?

This is why I don't purchase players' jerseys and only wear generic Packer gear.

Pugger
03-16-2013, 01:53 PM

Neither, not at those prices.

woodbuck27
03-16-2013, 02:02 PM
He got a better deal and more money to ply a trade in a very rough sport, one that can take away your ability to earn a living at a moment's notice. I hold nothing against him and wish him the best except for 2 times a year. If that $18 mil guaranteed number is not agent fluff and puff, then its a no-brainer.

Unlike the QB (and unlike what woodbuck is trying to suggest), he did not try to manipulate the front office, fans or those around him except to maximize his contract.

No one (well, with the exception of woodbuck) expects loyalty from teams, having long ago learned the lesson that teams do not hold it as a high priority. Its ludicrous to expect it from players. He is not in the same position as Favre or Driver where a Packer legacy will probably offer a very lucrative second career as a Packer icon/spokesmodel. He would always be choice B between himself and Driver for events and memorabilia sales and a distant 3rd if Favre ever returns.

I am glad he was a Packer. I wish him (almost) the best.

A) "He got a better deal and more money to ply a trade in a very rough sport, one that can take away your ability to earn a living at a moment's notice. I hold nothing against him and wish him the best except for 2 times a year. If that $18 mil guaranteed number is not agent fluff and puff, then its a no-brainer."pbmax

I agree with the above and will add this. I believe for his own reasons that Greg Jennings had decided to embrace 'Free Agency' full on. To try and get the very best contract he could for his family's sake.

For some time now. The general feeling on this forum RE: Greg Jennings future. Was that he would not be a Green Bay Packer next season. The closer the deadline to be tagged approached. The more that reality could be predicted.

I felt that the Vikings were going to be a possible and logical choice as his next employer. If 'in fact' he was offered an attractive option to become 'a Minnesota Viking'. I became more aware of 'that reality', when I learned earlier this week, that the Minnesota Vikings had traded Percy Harvin.

See my posts early in the thread 'as entitled' below that verify's my hunch:

The Vikings trade Percy Harvin to the Seattle Seahawks pending that he passes a physical.

B) "Unlike the QB (and unlike what woodbuck is trying to suggest), he did not try to manipulate the front office, fans or those around him except to maximize his contract." pbmax

pbmax ... Produce the post (s) where I insinuate manipulation on behalf of Greg Jennings in any direction or regard. I did no such thing.

Greg Jennings exercised his rights as a 'Free Agent'; with the utmost character and manner that we have come to respect in him, as a person of honour and professionalism. He entered 'Free Agency' with a certain goal in mind. A focus that had alot to do with a 'very possible' change for him and his family. For reasons that are 'only his business', he pursued and found another NFL team to play for.

I assume 'the QB' is Brett Favre.

I made one post that clearly said that it was my opinion. That depended on the direction or landing spot for Greg Jennings this could have turned out being a PR nightmare for 'the Green Bay Packers'; specifically on Packer GM Ted Thompson. That certainly had nothing to do with 'anything Brett Favre', or Greg Jennings possibly landing with the Vikings.

You know that can of worms that can be opened without due diligence? It's my position that for the good of all. You don't rake over spent coals. It's too late to mull over all that's available to us in analyzing why Greg Jennings is no longer a Green Bay Packer. Why it was clearly in front of us. That was going to be more likely the case long before Free Agency opened.

Let's not get cute here and pretend there was 'only' one way.

That so deemed... 'legitimate team source $10million$ offer', could be played. RE: Greg Jennings future services.

Maybe certain powerful people in the Packer organization are breathing a sigh of relief that Greg Jennings is gone. Gone even to the Minnesota Vikings. That ahhh sure....$10 million$ offer, might otherwise have turned into a Green Bay Packer PR nightmare.

C) " No one (well, with the exception of woodbuck) expects loyalty from teams, having long ago learned the lesson that teams do not hold it as a high priority. " pbmax

Yea sure make me the whipping post. Ohh Boy ! I'll set you straight on that one.

I've been a Pro Sports fan going back to the mid 1950's. Please don't try to paint a picture of me and naivety regarding 'loyalty in Pro sports'.

Two of my sports hero's were Frank Mahovlich and Guy Lafleur. If you or any member here, knows even a little bit about their careers and how their teams management treated them, when they were 'simply done' with them. You would be as aware as I am that there are few instances of team loyalty to a given player; and that, no matter what his star power was 'in their view'.

That 'of course' now works both ways. The 'little guy' stepped up.

Starting with the introduction of 'Free Agency'; there is no loyalty either way. It's business 'as usual' every year, for both of the team management and pro athlete's side. Actually it's like life in general but on a larger $money$ scale, with the same basic principle.

Everyone deserves to serve themself best. To get their best in life.

I believe that Greg Jennings believes he got that for himself and his family on Friday March 15, 2013. When he was introduced as a Minnesota Viking.

I made this post, an attempt to set the record straight.

I've no reason to be defensive or defend my position (s) RE: anything Greg Jennings.

GO PACK GO!

woodbuck27
03-16-2013, 03:12 PM
Back to business. I'm posting this before I read it:

http://espnwisconsin.com/common/page.php?feed=2&id=7371&is_corp=1

‘I was looking for a change’

By JASON WILDE
jwilde@espnwisconsin.com

Comment woodbuck27:

RE: Greg Jennings decision to become a Minnesota Viking.

Now I'll read it.

GO PACKERS !

ThunderDan
03-16-2013, 04:44 PM
This is why I don't purchase players' jerseys and only wear generic Packer gear.

Same with me....so far.

I wanted to buya Finley jersey three years ago and then he hurt his knee so I waited. Then he got a case of the dropsee and the Pack didn't extend him to the long-term deal I was sure he would get. Still sitting on my wallet waiting to pounce.

pbmax
03-16-2013, 04:52 PM
B) "Unlike the QB (and unlike what woodbuck is trying to suggest), he did not try to manipulate the front office, fans or those around him except to maximize his contract." pbmax

pbmax ... Produce the post (s) where I insinuate manipulation on behalf of Greg Jennings in any direction or regard. I did no such thing.

I took your earlier cryptic (http://packerrats.com/showthread.php?25262-Jennings-signs-with-Vikings&p=716880&viewfull=1#post716880) posts (http://packerrats.com/showthread.php?25262-Jennings-signs-with-Vikings&p=716849&viewfull=1#post716849) as (partially) a charge that Jennings had been trying to arrange his own ouster, making sure the Packers did not publicly make such an offer to resign him that he would look ungrateful turning it down to leave.

If that was not implied by your posts, then I retract the charge.

As for the QB mentioned in the other thought, I sent you a PM so the thread doesn't get off on a tangent.

King Friday
03-16-2013, 04:57 PM
I believe that Greg Jennings believes he got that for himself and his family on Friday March 15, 2013. When he was introduced as a Minnesota Viking.

Except for the fact that he turned down an offer to remain with Green Bay...in a better offense, with a better QB, with more commercial exposure...for MORE money.

So, how is his current situation "the best"?

woodbuck27
03-16-2013, 05:57 PM
Except for the fact that he turned down an offer to remain with Green Bay...in a better offense, with a better QB, with more commercial exposure...for MORE money.

So, how is his current situation "the best"?

Easy to answer Packer fan.

That's Greg Jennings business and 'only' his and his familys affair.

Show me the evidence that Greg Jennings received less money than what the Green Bay Packers had on the table for him; or the final offer he was given.

Greg Jennings reports clearly that he refused offers fr. the Packers exceeding $10 million$ made last summer and last fall. The last offer on the Packers table was below those offers according to Greg Jennings.

" Greg Jennings had his chance. Quietly, according to an NFL source, the Green Bay Packers had twice offered him deals worth more than $10 million per year, both in the summer and in the fall. Both times, the Packers’ No. 1 wide receiver had said thanks, but no thanks.

So when the Minnesota Vikings showed him the money on Friday – less money than was on the table from the Packers then, but more than they were offering now, according to an NFL source – Jennings took it." Fr. LINK

GO PACK GO !

Guiness
03-16-2013, 06:03 PM
Same with me....so far.

I wanted to buya Finley jersey three years ago and then he hurt his knee so I waited. Then he got a case of the dropsee and the Pack didn't extend him to the long-term deal I was sure he would get. Still sitting on my wallet waiting to pounce.

Anyone want an unworn 2004 Favre Pro Bowl jersey?

Bought it cheap in '07...seemed like a good idea?

KYPack
03-16-2013, 06:08 PM
Anyone want an unworn 2004 Favre Pro Bowl jersey?

Bought it cheap in '07...seemed like a good idea?

I have 3-4 of 'em in the closet.

Kept getting 'em for Christmas from friends & family.

I even got one of 'em that I modified into a "Havner" jersey.

pittstang5
03-16-2013, 06:12 PM
Easy to answer Packer fan.

That's Greg Jennings business and 'only' his and his familys affair.

Show me the evidence that Greg Jennings received less money than what the Green Bay Packers had on the table for him; or the final offer he was given.

Greg Jennings reports clearly that he refused offers fr. the Packers exceeding $10 million$ made last summer and last fall. The last offer on the Packers table was below those offers according to Greg Jennings.

" Greg Jennings had his chance. Quietly, according to an NFL source, the Green Bay Packers had twice offered him deals worth more than $10 million per year, both in the summer and in the fall. Both times, the Packers’ No. 1 wide receiver had said thanks, but no thanks.

So when the Minnesota Vikings showed him the money on Friday – less money than was on the table from the Packers then, but more than they were offering now, according to an NFL source – Jennings took it." Fr. LINK

GO PACK GO !

If that's true, then Jennings truly wanted out of GB. No way he turns down that kind of dough then gambles on, MAYBE, a mil or two more with another team if he hits FA. Yep, he wanted out. I have seen the light. GJ is dead to me.

woodbuck27
03-16-2013, 06:19 PM
I took your earlier cryptic (http://packerrats.com/showthread.php?25262-Jennings-signs-with-Vikings&p=716880&viewfull=1#post716880) posts (http://packerrats.com/showthread.php?25262-Jennings-signs-with-Vikings&p=716849&viewfull=1#post716849) as (partially) a charge that Jennings had been trying to arrange his own ouster, making sure the Packers did not publicly make such an offer to resign him that he would look ungrateful turning it down to leave.

If that was not implied by your posts, then I retract the charge.

As for the QB mentioned in the other thought, I sent you a PM so the thread doesn't get off on a tangent.

Hi pbmax:

" I took your earlier cryptic posts as (partially) a charge that Jennings had been trying to arrange his own ouster, making sure the Packers did not publicly make such an offer to resign him that he would look ungrateful turning it down to leave.

If that was not implied by your posts, then I retract the charge."pbmax

The information I was refering to had zero to do with contracts and or money and Greg Jennings.

I will elaborate on my specific finding. I will not go further than this:

We all sometimes make a statement or can be somehow connected to a statement that doesn't reflect our truest feelings even moments after it gets out there. In such cases we simply exercise good judgement in retracting that statement or declaring it completely false or otherwise invalid.

Greg Jennings did 'just that'. He made a retraction.

I believe it was innoscent of any maliscious intent.

GO PACK GO !

pbmax
03-16-2013, 06:44 PM
If that's true, then Jennings truly wanted out of GB. No way he turns down that kind of dough then gambles on, MAYBE, a mil or two more with another team if he hits FA. Yep, he wanted out. I have seen the light. GJ is dead to me.

Too many unknowns to say this for certain. How many years was the offer? 2, 3, maybe 5? How much was guaranteed? How much upfront, how much in the first three years?

And the most important question of all: when in the fall was the last offer made? Pre-injury or post-injury?

Jennings might still have harbored dreams of a Vincent Jackson payday after his injury, but that is much harder to accept after he missed significant time.

pittstang5
03-16-2013, 07:13 PM
To many unknowns to say this for certain. How many years was the offer? 2, 3, maybe 5? How much was guaranteed? How much upfront, how much in the first three years?

And the most important question of all: when in the fall was the last offer made? Pre-injury or post-injury?

Jennings might still have harbored dreams of a Vincent Jackson payday after his injury, but that is much harder to accept after he missed significant time.

True, there are always unknowns, but i'm really starting to think the evidence supports GJ on his way out more than resigning. but it sounds like packers made an offer, Jennings said no thanks....twice. No talk or negotiations? No counter offer? maybe they did and we never heard about it, but you would think IF they were at least talking, something would have been leaked out at some point.

Joemailman
03-16-2013, 07:17 PM
I think Jennings wanted to get paid like a #1 WR. To do that, he had to be a #1 WR, and that wasn't necessarily going to happen in Green Bay. He needed to go someplace where he was "the guy", not one of the group. When the Vikings traded Harvin, that was a huge stroke of good fortune for him, and his ticket was probably punched for Minnesota at that point.

Patler
03-16-2013, 07:27 PM
I suspect last summer/fall GJ was hoping for more than $10M. Then, after GJ spent a good part of the season on the injured list, and Cobb really stepped up, the Packers were no longer willing to pay the $10M or even very close to it. Jennings may feel slighted if the Packers actually came back and said, "Then was then, now is now. Here's a new offer for $7M/year."

Jennings guessed wrong when $10M was on the table from GB, and the Packers probably are glad he did.

Guiness
03-16-2013, 07:34 PM
I suspect last summer/fall GJ was hoping for more than $10M. Then, after GJ spent a good part of the season on the injured list, and Cobb really stepped up, the Packers were no longer willing to pay the $10M or even very close to it. Jennings may feel slighted if the Packers actually came back and said, "Then was then, now is now. Here's a new offer for $7M/year."

Jennings guessed wrong when $10M was on the table from GB, and the Packers probably are glad he did.

That's a lot more believable and likely than the idea that he was anxious to get out of GB. Despite what his vapour-locked sister had to say, why would be anxious to leave the Pack? His last contract was good, he was getting a lot of exposure and endorsements, and another contract was being offered. I don't buy the 'he was insulted' crap, I think GB adjusted their offer and someone else jumped in with stupid money.

Old School
03-16-2013, 08:00 PM
I think Greg Jennings changed. When he first came to GB, he was a team first, All American good guy. Then came success along with public recognition and adulation, money, and TV work on commercials. At that point he thought he was something he really wasn't. He couldn't live with not being #1 as he saw teamates, especially Randall Cobb eclipsing his contributions.

Too bad to see success spoil such a good guy. He isn't the first and won't be the last. The new Greg Jennings was no longer a fit in Green Bay. Or should I say Green Bay was no longer a fit for Greg. Hope he's happy in 'the BIG CITY".South Beach it ain't.

Bretsky
03-17-2013, 12:32 AM
This is a good deal for the Vikings...who....if you recall...finished the season strongly last year and really seemed to be starting to fulfill expectations

The Vikings received a first plus l for Harvin and then added Jennings...combined IMO...nice moves.

On GB's side....no surprises.....not terribly disappointing. Free Agency is what it is when you are a Packer fan. The draft is coming soon.

HarveyWallbangers
03-17-2013, 01:16 AM
This is a good deal for the Vikings...who....if you recall...finished the season strongly last year and really seemed to be starting to fulfill expectations

The Vikings received a first plus l for Harvin and then added Jennings...combined IMO...nice moves.

On GB's side....no surprises.....not terribly disappointing. Free Agency is what it is when you are a Packer fan. The draft is coming soon.

I think the end result is very good for the Vikings--although I'm glad the Packers were able to push the cost of Jennings up a bit. It is a lot to tie up into a nearly 30-year-old receiver who has been a bit injury prone lately. More than the Vikings finish last year, I'm more worried that the Vikings may have found a GM. He is building the Vikings the right way (through the draft). They were just desperate to get any quality receiver on the roster, but otherwise he had a good draft last year and they aren't wasting a lot of money on FAs. I think they overachieved last year, and I doubt any RB (even one as good as Peterson) is going to be able to duplicate the season he had. That team is still too dependent on Peterson. But the GM is doing it the right way. The thing that gives me hope is that I don't think Ponder has what it takes. Even in that four game run at the end of last year, they won in spite of him. He averaged 130 yards/game with 1 TD, 1 int, 2 fumbles in the first 3 games, and I think our game was a fluke. He had the tipped ball for a first down and we left Wright wide open for 65 yards on another play. Take out those two plays and I think he would have had around 145 yards passing.

packrulz
03-17-2013, 04:55 AM

On GB's side....no surprises.....not terribly disappointing. Free Agency is what it is when you are a Packer fan. The draft is coming soon.Jennings will be the #1 receiver, if he starts and stays healthy, the Packers should get a higher compensatory pick for him.

pbmax
03-17-2013, 09:04 AM
I think the end result is very good for the Vikings--although I'm glad the Packers were able to push the cost of Jennings up a bit. It is a lot to tie up into a nearly 30-year-old receiver who has been a bit injury prone lately. More than the Vikings finish last year, I'm more worried that the Vikings may have found a GM. He is building the Vikings the right way (through the draft). They were just desperate to get any quality receiver on the roster, but otherwise he had a good draft last year and they aren't wasting a lot of money on FAs. I think they overachieved last year, and I doubt any RB (even one as good as Peterson) is going to be able to duplicate the season he had. That team is still too dependent on Peterson. But the GM is doing it the right way. The thing that gives me hope is that I don't think Ponder has what it takes. Even in that four game run at the end of last year, they won in spite of him. He averaged 130 yards/game with 1 TD, 1 int, 2 fumbles in the first 3 games, and I think our game was a fluke. He had the tipped ball for a first down and we left Wright wide open for 65 yards on another play. Take out those two plays and I think he would have had around 145 yards passing.

Who is the head of the triangle of authority now?

pbmax
03-17-2013, 09:12 AM
From Today's McGinn:

http://www.jsonline.com/sports/packers/jennings-passes-on-packers-8-million-offer-em96ep8-198638301.html

Bob tells us Packers offered $11 million per year in talks last year that Jennings turned down as he was looking for $15 mil. If true (and its possible this is a repeat of last year's info), this would be Jennings looking to get paid like Vincent Jackson, who fleeced the Bucs I think. These numbers are next to useless without details but we have what we have. According to Bob, these talks occurred before the concussion and hernia. After these, the offer was down to $8 million per. No details on length, guarantee or up front money here either.

Bob also unearths an offer from the Patriots who were bargain shopping and offered Jennings a $6 mil per deal similar to Amendola's.

Bob repeats his source says Philbin was not high on getting Jennings to the Dolphins.

Guiness
03-17-2013, 10:14 AM
From Today's McGinn:

http://www.jsonline.com/sports/packers/jennings-passes-on-packers-8-million-offer-em96ep8-198638301.html

Bob tells us Packers offered $11 million per year in talks last year that Jennings turned down as he was looking for $15 mil. If true (and its possible this is a repeat of last year's info), this would be Jennings looking to get paid like Vincent Jackson, who fleeced the Bucs I think. These numbers are next to useless without details but we have what we have. According to Bob, these talks occurred before the concussion and hernia. After these, the offer was down to $8 million per. No details on length, guarantee or up front money here either.

Bob also unearths an offer from the Patriots who were bargain shopping and offered Jennings a $6 mil per deal similar to Amendola's.

Bob repeats his source says Philbin was not high on getting Jennings to the Dolphins.

If the part about the Packer's offer is true, I can see why he would have been upset and held somewhat of a grudge against the Packers.

Not saying rightfully so, but it'd be pretty damn hard to watch at least $3M/year of pay go out the door because of something that happened on the job. Football players all say they know every play could be their last, blah blah blah, but when the cold harsh reality of it comes happens it has to be hard to swallow. I also wonder if his sister's rant might've had something to do with his feelings, although I'm sure he still wishes she'd of kept her mouth shut.

Joemailman
03-17-2013, 10:31 AM
If the part about the Packer's offer is true, I can see why he would have been upset and held somewhat of a grudge against the Packers.

Not saying rightfully so, but it'd be pretty damn hard to watch at least $3M/year of pay go out the door because of something that happened on the job. Football players all say they know every play could be their last, blah blah blah, but when the cold harsh reality of it comes happens it has to be hard to swallow. I also wonder if his sister's rant might've had something to do with his feelings, although I'm sure he still wishes she'd of kept her mouth shut.

I see no reason why Jennings should hold any kind of a grudge against the Packers. If he turned down 11 million to go for 15, he was basically saying goodbye to the Packers because he wanted every dollar he could get. He made a decision to take a gamble and it didn't work out. That's life, but he made the decision. Then he got hurt, and the Packers found that could still put together a top-notch passing attack without him.

red
03-17-2013, 01:14 PM
i think its only fair that if jennings turns down green bays initial 11 million dollar deal at the beginning of the season in the hopes of putting in a big season and driving up his value. then its only fair that the value goes down when he has the miserable injury filled year he had when you allow others to prove you are expendable

he gambled on himself and lost, then him and his family act like little bitches because they lost the gamble

pbmax
03-17-2013, 02:52 PM
i think its only fair that if jennings turns down green bays initial 11 million dollar deal at the beginning of the season in the hopes of putting in a big season and driving up his value. then its only fair that the value goes down when he has the miserable injury filled year he had when you allow others to prove you are expendable

he gambled on himself and lost, then him and his family act like little bitches because they lost the gamble

Perhaps his sister was disappointed, but Jennings himself was solid during a year many players end up in the tank.

Bretsky
03-17-2013, 09:13 PM

FIVE CLAP POST; pretty much agree iwth everything in here. The Vikes GM, IMO.....has this team on the rise but they could easily see a six year win season as I too think they overachieved last year. I'm down the middle on Ponder....not as negative as you are but I'm not confident in him either. If he turns out the Vikes will be a team to fear. It looks like all of our NFC north competitors have made some moves that at least improve their team on paper next year

pbmax
03-17-2013, 10:50 PM

FIVE CLAP POST; pretty much agree iwth everything in here. The Vikes GM, IMO.....has this team on the rise but they could easily see a six year win season as I too think they overachieved last year. I'm down the middle on Ponder....not as negative as you are but I'm not confident in him either. If he turns out the Vikes will be a team to fear. It looks like all of our NFC north competitors have made some moves that at least improve their team on paper next year

:bclap: :bclap: :bclap: :bclap: :bclap:

The lights on your VCR blink 12:00 don't they Bretsky? :D

Its bclap enclosed by colons. Or click Go Advanced Instead of Post.

HarveyWallbangers
03-18-2013, 12:08 AM
Who is the head of the triangle of authority now?

No triangle anymore. Rick Spielman has full control now--since the start of last year. He's modeled that franchise after what Ted Thompson is doing. Jennings is about the only big name FA he has signed in the last two offseasons. He was also quick to cut Winfield (even though he had a very good year last year) and was willing to trade Harvin before giving him big money for a 1st, 3rd, and 7th round picks. He's also willing to go young over keeping a veteran around. He also had a very good draft last year. What I've seen from him scares me more than any one player they've acquired.

Joemailman
03-18-2013, 08:08 AM
No triangle anymore. Rick Spielman has full control now--since the start of last year. He's modeled that franchise after what Ted Thompson is doing. Jennings is about the only big name FA he has signed in the last two offseasons. He was also quick to cut Winfield (even though he had a very good year last year) and was willing to trade Harvin before giving him big money for a 1st, 3rd, and 7th round picks. He's also willing to go young over keeping a veteran around. He also had a very good draft last year. What I've seen from him scares me more than any one player they've acquired.

He's done a pretty good job with his draft picks. Still, whether he was right about Ponder will determine whether they can be on a par with Rodgers and the Packers. I think the acquisition of Jennings is in part to help making that determination.

3irty1
03-18-2013, 08:40 AM
Much like Aaron Kampman, Jennings's injury screwed up what would have been a slam dunk tag-n-trade I think. I hate that a division rival won't have to give up anything to sign a player that we drafted high and groomed to probowl level, but in reality we're probably looking at a 3rd round comp pick and that might be the best we could have received as compensation in this case.

Also, its not obvious the way TT pays forward with the cap but Jennings is essentially a cap casualty. Replace him with some 21 or 22 year old and in a few years the Packers will still have plenty of solid hands on the team.

Zool
03-18-2013, 10:40 AM
Ponders season at a very macro level

20/27 - 266 29 RA - Jax - W
27/35 - 232 26 RA - Colts - L
21/35 - 198 41 RA - 49ers - W
16/26 - 100 28 RA - Loins - W
25-35 - 258 31 RA - Titans - W
35/52 - 327 24 RA - Redskins - L
8/17 - 43 27 RA - AZ - W
19/35 - 229 21 RA - TB - L
11/22 - 44 27 RA - Seahawks - L - Harvin went down
24-32 - 207 34 RA - Loins - W
22/43 - 144 20 RA - Bears - L
12/25 - 119 28 RA - GBP - L
11/17 - 77 38 RA - Bares - W
17/24 - 109 33 RA - Rams - W
16/30 - 171 42 RA - Texans - W
16/28 - 227 37 RA - GBP - W

All I can see from this broad overview is that Ponder needs to get better throwing downfield. He started the season really well. Somewhere around the AZ game, he started to get less accurate. Maybe that's receivers and him both. Hard to say. I will say that I watched quite a few Viking games this past year. For some reason, it actually looked like it was by design, there was a free edge rusher hitting Ponder square in the back often. They would do a shallow roll out and the opposite edge rusher wouldn't even be checked. 2-3 times a game this happened. He got jumpy by the end of the season.

Pugger
03-18-2013, 10:44 AM
Ponder and MN was aided by Peterson playing out of his mind and that helped CP look better than he is. Can AP replicate that kind of season again this year?

sharpe1027
03-18-2013, 10:48 AM
Unless he makes some giant strides forward, I think MN will (quietly) be open to opportunities for upgrading/replacing Ponder. That being said, it is just not as easy as just snapping your fingers and finding a star QB.

woodbuck27
03-18-2013, 12:18 PM
Comment woodbuck27:

Alot of the analysis I'm observing can be translated as 'a check mark' for the Vikings acquiring Greg Jennings.

While searching for reactions to GJ's move. I found this article by CBS Sports Mike Freeman that feels that Greg Jennings must have made this move for $the money$, because otherwise, he did himself no favor:

http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/blog/mike-freeman/21885927/greg-jennings-chases-vikings-cash-and-his-career-will-suffer-for-it

Greg Jennings chases Vikings' cash, and his career will suffer for it.

By Mike Freeman | National NFL Insider

March 15, 2013 8:01 pm ET

Guiness
03-18-2013, 12:31 PM
Unless he makes some giant strides forward, I think MN will (quietly) be open to opportunities for upgrading/replacing Ponder. That being said, it is just not as easy as just snapping your fingers and finding a star QB.

They brought in some pretty solid competition in Cassel.

Yes, he became an also ran in KC, but he's not that far removed from a couple of pretty good seasons, one in NE and his second one in KC. I'm not aware of any reason he could not regain some of that form.

pbmax
03-18-2013, 04:12 PM
All I can see from this broad overview is that Ponder needs to get better throwing downfield. He started the season really well. Somewhere around the AZ game, he started to get less accurate. Maybe that's receivers and him both. Hard to say. I will say that I watched quite a few Viking games this past year. For some reason, it actually looked like it was by design, there was a free edge rusher hitting Ponder square in the back often. They would do a shallow roll out and the opposite edge rusher wouldn't even be checked. 2-3 times a game this happened. He got jumpy by the end of the season.

I think they stole that play from the Packers. Its like getting benched in basketball. The coach is telling the QB to throw the ball out faster or start getting treatment on the bruised ribs.

sharpe1027
03-18-2013, 04:20 PM
They brought in some pretty solid competition in Cassel.

Yes, he became an also ran in KC, but he's not that far removed from a couple of pretty good seasons, one in NE and his second one in KC. I'm not aware of any reason he could not regain some of that form.

Yeah. I would also not be surprised if they pull the trigger on a QB that they like in the draft.

woodbuck27
03-18-2013, 04:41 PM
Yeah. I would also not be surprised if they pull the trigger on a QB that they like in the draft.

Matt Hasselbeck is available.

sharpe1027
03-18-2013, 04:57 PM

So is "he who shall not be named." ;)

pbmax
03-18-2013, 05:08 PM
So is "he who shall not be named." ;)

Tebow?

MadScientist
03-18-2013, 05:17 PM
Tebow?
At least they would have someone that makes Ponder look good.

sharpe1027
03-18-2013, 05:33 PM
Tebow?

No, it can't be Tebow. You just mentioned his name and yet you didn't explode into flames.

pbmax
03-18-2013, 07:49 PM
No, it can't be Tebow. You just mentioned his name and yet you didn't explode into flames.

Not me personally, but there is a burning bush in the front yard melting a lot of snow.

George Cumby
03-18-2013, 09:29 PM
Comment woodbuck27:

Alot of the analysis I'm observing can be translated as 'a check mark' for the Vikings acquiring Greg Jennings.

While searching for reactions to GJ's move. I found this article by CBS Sports Mike Freeman that feels that Greg Jennings must have made this move for $the money$, because otherwise, he did himself no favor:

http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/blog/mike-freeman/21885927/greg-jennings-chases-vikings-cash-and-his-career-will-suffer-for-it

Greg Jennings chases Vikings' cash, and his career will suffer for it.

By Mike Freeman | National NFL Insider

March 15, 2013 8:01 pm ET

Good find, Wood.

Guiness
03-18-2013, 11:37 PM
Not me personally, but there is a burning bush in the front yard melting a lot of snow.

lol!

pbmax
03-19-2013, 09:06 AM
According to:

Tom Pelissero ‏@TomPelissero
Here's a full breakdown of Greg Jennings' contract. More smart accounting -- pay as you go after first 2 years, $18M.
http://t.co/XmEMbC3oMA

Jennings essentially gets 2 years and $18 mil, everything else is optional

denverYooper
03-19-2013, 09:14 AM

I hope your kids are far away.

Cheesehead Craig
03-19-2013, 09:20 AM
Ponders season at a very macro level

20/27 - 266 29 RA - Jax - W
27/35 - 232 26 RA - Colts - L
21/35 - 198 41 RA - 49ers - W
16/26 - 100 28 RA - Loins - W
25-35 - 258 31 RA - Titans - W
35/52 - 327 24 RA - Redskins - L
8/17 - 43 27 RA - AZ - W
19/35 - 229 21 RA - TB - L
11/22 - 44 27 RA - Seahawks - L - Harvin went down
24-32 - 207 34 RA - Loins - W
22/43 - 144 20 RA - Bears - L
12/25 - 119 28 RA - GBP - L
11/17 - 77 38 RA - Bares - W
17/24 - 109 33 RA - Rams - W
16/30 - 171 42 RA - Texans - W
16/28 - 227 37 RA - GBP - W

The AZ game was about the time that Harvin got hurt if I recall correctly. When he went down the passing game just got putrid as the Vikes had absolutely nobody to throw other than TE Rudolph. Everything became dink and dunk but there was no Harvin to make those short throws into long gains. Ponder also isn't good throwing downfield. He did play better after he got married, so maybe his wife has the opposite effect that Brooke Shields had on Agassi.

pbmax
03-19-2013, 09:46 AM
According to:

Tom Pelissero ‏@TomPelissero
Here's a full breakdown of Greg Jennings' contract. More smart accounting -- pay as you go after first 2 years, $18M.
http://t.co/XmEMbC3oMA

Jennings essentially gets 2 years and $18 mil, everything else is optional

$17.8 million is fully guaranteed. Eugene Parker is very good at what he does, even if he was Captain Holdout.

denverYooper
03-19-2013, 09:56 AM
Vikings Overpay Greg Jennings, Continue Storied Tradition of Scooping Up Ex-Packers:

http://www.grantland.com/blog/the-triangle/post/_/id/54683/vikings-overpay-greg-jennings-continue-storied-tradition-of-scooping-up-ex-packers

Pugger
03-19-2013, 11:15 AM

Hasselbeck signed with Indy.

run pMc
03-19-2013, 03:45 PM
Vikings Overpay Greg Jennings, Continue Storied Tradition of Scooping Up Ex-Packers:

http://www.grantland.com/blog/the-triangle/post/_/id/54683/vikings-overpay-greg-jennings-continue-storied-tradition-of-scooping-up-ex-packers

Good stuff, thanks for the link!

woodbuck27
03-19-2013, 04:28 PM
Hasselbeck signed with Indy.

Comment woodbuck27:

Yes that didn't take long. It must be 'Super' to have the money.

We need to find a solid #2 QB. My immediate thought and seeing that Matt Hasselbeck was released was >>>Packers. Indy is CAP rich and not lacking in the smarts Dept.

http://titansized.com/2013/03/18/matt-hasselbeck-lands-with-indianapolis-colts/?utm_source=FanSided&utm_medium=Network&utm_campaign=Hot%2BTopics

Matt Hasselbeck Lands With Indianapolis Colts

Mar 18th, 2013 at 9:46 PM

By Justin Stewart ... Free Agency

sharpe1027
03-19-2013, 04:42 PM

I stand corrected. Good luck with that.

pbmax
03-19-2013, 07:19 PM
We've got the fire under control. But I now have this urge to take a long business trip East.

Cheesehead Craig
03-20-2013, 01:27 PM
We've got the fire under control. But I now have this urge to take a long business trip East.

It may take you 40 years of wandering around lost in Indiana.

pbmax
03-20-2013, 05:12 PM
Jennings good bye message in JS and GBPG.

http://cdn.fansided.com/wp-content/blogs.dir/51/files/2013/03/Greg_Jennings_ad.jpg

George Cumby
03-20-2013, 05:20 PM
That was nice.

KYPack
03-20-2013, 05:40 PM
That was nice.

Yeah.

Sis got her big moosh in there, tho.

gbgary
11-07-2013, 11:11 PM
http://www.fototime.com/B8F4E49A3F0433D/orig.jpg

lol

George Cumby
11-08-2013, 12:56 AM
Schadenfreude: German for "if it feels so right it can't be wrong"

Packers4Glory
11-08-2013, 07:18 AM
ol Greg is in line for 60 receptions and 729 yards.....he's not getting any younger either.

Pugger
11-08-2013, 08:00 AM
ol Greg is in line for 60 receptions and 729 yards.....he's not getting any younger either.

But he wanted the coin and to be The Man. I hope he's enjoying it all. :lol:

Patler
11-08-2013, 08:07 AM
I think it was Bob Harlan who once described that sometimes your best deals are the deals you don't make. I think that is true for the Packers with respect to Jennings. Not that he wouldn't have contributed this year, I think he would have. I don't think his numbers this year are an indication of decreased ability as much as a reflection of the passing offense he is in. But, the Packers' passing game has not missed him that much, and for the team it is better to have the $8-10 million that could have gone to Jennings to use on others instead.

hoosier
11-08-2013, 08:17 AM
I think it was Bob Harlan who once described that sometimes your best deals are the deals you don't make. I think that is true for the Packers with respect to Jennings. Not that he wouldn't have contributed this year, I think he would have. I don't think his numbers this year are an indication of decreased ability as much as a reflection of the passing offense he is in. But, the Packers' passing game has not missed him that much, and for the team it is better to have the $8-10 million that could have gone to Jennings to use on others instead.

Agreed, assuming that they manage to put that $$ to good use, i.e., re-sign Shields and Raji. And maybe renew Nelson before his final year?

Patler
11-08-2013, 08:58 AM
Agreed, assuming that they manage to put that $$ to good use, i.e., re-sign Shields and Raji. And maybe renew Nelson before his final year?

Those all could be better uses for the money. Nelson seems like the guy they should keep long term. He and Rodgers have developed a QB/WR relationship that isn't always there.

Packers4Glory
11-08-2013, 09:30 AM
eh we def could have used him this yr esp w/ Cobb going down. WIsh he'd have stayed one more season all things considered.

HarveyWallbangers
11-08-2013, 11:24 AM
I'd really like them to focus their money on Nelson and Cobb. I'd like Raji to resign, but I'm guessing he's asking for big money. Shields and Jones would be others to target for the right amount.

HarveyWallbangers
11-08-2013, 11:26 AM
This was pretty priceless. I can't blame him. Terrible coaching. Even if you were going to call a timeout, you wait until just before Washington was going to hike the ball.

http://cdn0.sbnation.com/imported_assets/1905069/JenningsLosesItVikingsTimeout.gif

George Cumby
11-08-2013, 11:35 AM
This was pretty priceless. I can't blame him. Terrible coaching. Even if you were going to call a timeout, you wait until just before Washington was going to hike the ball.

http://cdn0.sbnation.com/imported_assets/1905069/JenningsLosesItVikingsTimeout.gif

If I'm reading his lips correctly, he's saying: "Motherfucker! This shit never happened in Green Bay! Fat mike never would have cocked that one up! What the fuck was I thinking!? Bird in the hand! Motherfucking BIRD. IN. THE. FUCKING. HAND. Where's my fucking sister!? Why oh why did I listen to that idiot bitch! What the fuck was I thinking!?"

hoosier
11-08-2013, 11:39 AM

He made Matt Kalil flinch.

run pMc
11-08-2013, 12:03 PM
The story coming out today is that the Vikings defense was gassed and Frazier called the timeouts so Kevin Williams et al. could catch their breath. I guess they only dressed 3 DT's and something like 42 players overall.
Frazier also claimed it was to keep some time on the clock in case WAS did score. Not sure if that's all true or just CYA, but since they got the W it will likely be an afterthought...until it burns them.

Frazier isn't known as an innovator or strategist, he's the "leader type players like to play for" kind of coach, so I'm not surprised if he had a brainlock.

I don't recall Jennings having outbursts like this in GB...is it the QB, the coaching, or the losses? It can't be the money.

HarveyWallbangers
11-08-2013, 12:44 PM
The story coming out today is that the Vikings defense was gassed and Frazier called the timeouts so Kevin Williams et al. could catch their breath. I guess they only dressed 3 DT's and something like 42 players overall.
Frazier also claimed it was to keep some time on the clock in case WAS did score. Not sure if that's all true or just CYA, but since they got the W it will likely be an afterthought...until it burns them.

Frazier isn't known as an innovator or strategist, he's the "leader type players like to play for" kind of coach, so I'm not surprised if he had a brainlock.

I don't recall Jennings having outbursts like this in GB...is it the QB, the coaching, or the losses? It can't be the money.

The second reason makes a little sense, but I disagree with it. If you were going to call timeouts, do it earlier. As it was, Washington probably scores with little time left. I don't think that benefit outweighs giving Washington time to plan for the play and allowing them to not even worry about the clock. The first reason is non-sense. If the defense is gassed, then call the timeout as Washington steps up to the line of scrimmage. They called the timeout right after the previous play ended.

HarveyWallbangers
11-08-2013, 12:46 PM
Greg is still a very smart football player. He probably has a future as a coach, if he wants to do that--although I think he's more interested in broadcasting after his career is done.

Packers4Glory
11-08-2013, 02:01 PM
Greg will be in the booth or replacing some suckass on a network football show.

Patler
11-08-2013, 02:41 PM
A couple years ago he had a bit part on CSI, and said acting was something he really wanted to try after football.

woodbuck27
11-08-2013, 07:18 PM
A couple years ago he had a bit part on CSI, and said acting was something he really wanted to try after football.

He certainly did some 'acting out' last night in the Thursday Night game Vs the Skins in front of a national audience.

He demonstrated the highs and the lows. The camera loved him.

woodbuck27
11-08-2013, 07:23 PM

When that T.O. was called by the Vikings I was amazed. It did give both sides a chance to get their wind.

Maybe both sides should have been treating the game like rugby at that point?