PDA

View Full Version : WR's, where we now stand

red
03-15-2013, 07:52 PM
ok, so jennings and driver are gone. thats ok, because we're deep at WR

well, jones is in the last year of his contract

jordy and cobb both have two years left, they will both be due for new contracts next offseason

i would guess all three, the way they stand now, are worth in the 5-7 million a year range, if they don't improve more this season with jennings gone.

cobb, in my mind, is in the percy harvin area, he could cost 10 million plus

will TT pay to keep all three? i doubt it

we now need to draft another WR somewhat high in the draft(round 1-3) and maybe again next year, even though we have much greater, immediate needs in other areas

PaCkFan_n_MD
03-15-2013, 07:58 PM
I don't think Nelson or Cobb are going anywhere for a long time. I have a strong feeling TT re-signs both players. Pickett (7 mil) and Williams (8.5 mil) are more likely than not both gone when there contracts are up so that helps.

woodbuck27
03-15-2013, 07:59 PM

jordy and cobb both have two years left, they will both be due for new contracts next offseason

i would guess all three, the way they stand now, are worth in the 5-7 million a year range, if they don't improve more this season with jennings gone.

we now need to draft another WR somewhat high in the draft(round 1-3) and maybe again next year, even though we have much greater, immediate needs in other areas

Round and round it goes. Where the problems begin or end. Nobody really ever knows.

Brando19
03-15-2013, 08:04 PM
Tavon Austin anyone?

Joemailman
03-15-2013, 08:09 PM

I think if TT wasn't going to keep all three, he would have tried harder to keep Jennings. I'd also look for him to draft a WR in 2-3 round.

MadtownPacker
03-15-2013, 10:07 PM
You bitches are trippin. TT drafts WR talent as easily as we all think we could actually do ourselves.

Smeefers
03-16-2013, 07:56 AM
You bitches are trippin. TT drafts WR talent as easily as we all think we could actually do ourselves.

This is the truth. TT can pull james jones out of the end of the 3rd round. He was the last decent receiver taken in the draft.

ThunderDan
03-16-2013, 08:07 AM

Red, thanks for starting this thread. It is good to look at where we actually are than bitch about what we don't have any more.

You forgot to mention Boykins and Ross to the discussion. Before he dropped the ball in the playoff I thought Ross was our solution to having to put Cobb out to field punts.

Can either step in to the offense and catch 2 balls a game? I don't know but we will find out soon enough.

Joemailman
03-16-2013, 08:32 AM
Boykin has a chance to pretty solid as a #4. Good hands and runs good routes. Arod showed he had confidence in him by throwing to him on 3rd down in a key situation late in the game at Minnesota. Haven't seen Ross at WR really since he was signed after the season started. He's probably a better athlete than Boykin.

King Friday
03-16-2013, 08:51 AM
We are fine at receiver...there is this guy named Aaron Rodgers throwing the ball, so we could have 5 Bill Schroeder's out there and still be OK.

YOU DO NOT SPEND MUCH MORE THAN $6M A YEAR ON A RECEIVER WHEN YOU HAVE A GUY LIKE AARON RODGERS AT QB. IT IS DOWNRIGHT STUPIDITY TO DO SO.

Thompson will probably look to grab a WR in the draft this year...although I do not think it needs to be in the first 3 rounds. He'll only take one up there if a player is available at WR that is a great value at the pick. I would've liked to keep Jennings for a cheaper price, but I do not think his departure hinders GB at all. The idea of building through the draft, where you get loads of talent at rock-bottom prices, remains the tried-and-true method of keeping a team on top. Spending huge money on FAs is a great way to ensure future cap hell...unless you are the Vikings and have no players under the age of 26 worth hanging on to.

Pugger
03-16-2013, 02:20 PM
Red, thanks for starting this thread. It is good to look at where we actually are than bitch about what we don't have any more.

You forgot to mention Boykins and Ross to the discussion. Before he dropped the ball in the playoff I thought Ross was our solution to having to put Cobb out to field punts.

Can either step in to the offense and catch 2 balls a game? I don't know but we will find out soon enough.

I still think Ross can. Cobb muffed a few balls too.

Pugger
03-16-2013, 02:21 PM
We are fine at receiver...there is this guy named Aaron Rodgers throwing the ball, so we could have 5 Bill Schroeder's out there and still be OK.

YOU DO NOT SPEND MUCH MORE THAN $6M A YEAR ON A RECEIVER WHEN YOU HAVE A GUY LIKE AARON RODGERS AT QB. IT IS DOWNRIGHT STUPIDITY TO DO SO.

Thompson will probably look to grab a WR in the draft this year...although I do not think it needs to be in the first 3 rounds. He'll only take one up there if a player is available at WR that is a great value at the pick. I would've liked to keep Jennings for a cheaper price, but I do not think his departure hinders GB at all. The idea of building through the draft, where you get loads of talent at rock-bottom prices, remains the tried-and-true method of keeping a team on top. Spending huge money on FAs is a great way to ensure future cap hell...unless you are the Vikings and have no players under the age of 26 worth hanging on to.

:lol:

red
03-16-2013, 03:08 PM

so if its up to you, we let james jones walk next year, for nothing. and in two years we let jordy and cobb both walk

when you hit on players in the draft you have to keep some of them, you can't just keep drafting wr's and letting them go when its time to pay them, sooner or later you might miss on 1 or 2, then you start to get into trouble

especially on a team that totally depends on the passing game like we do.

red
03-16-2013, 03:10 PM
I still think Ross can. Cobb muffed a few balls too.

yeah, he only really had the one mistake this year, otherwise he looked great as a returner

unfortunately it was about the biggest mistake he could make at the absolutely worst time to make it

King Friday
03-16-2013, 03:18 PM
so if its up to you, we let james jones walk next year, for nothing. and in two years we let jordy and cobb both walk

when you hit on players in the draft you have to keep some of them, you can't just keep drafting wr's and letting them go when its time to pay them, sooner or later you might miss on 1 or 2, then you start to get into trouble

especially on a team that totally depends on the passing game like we do.

It depends on how much they will cost, how old they are, and how much they can offer to the team over their deal. Jennings clearly wasn't worth $9M a year to us...and yes, I will maintain that any receiver demanding over $6M per year is going to virtually price themselves off the team.

My point is that Rodgers will make ANY receiver better. If you are going to spend to keep people, your priority should be on areas of the team that your soon-to-be $100M franchise QB can't help with...namely defense and OL. You have to recognize that spending huge sums of cash on the receivers, knowing that your QB will soon become the highest paid player in the game, is going to essentially cripple the rest of the roster. Thompson is going to spend money in the near future to retain guys on this roster...just not at receiver.

red
03-16-2013, 03:35 PM
It depends on how much they will cost, how old they are, and how much they can offer to the team over their deal. Jennings clearly wasn't worth $9M a year to us...and yes, I will maintain that any receiver demanding over $6M per year is going to virtually price themselves off the team.

My point is that Rodgers will make ANY receiver better. If you are going to spend to keep people, your priority should be on areas of the team that your soon-to-be $100M franchise QB can't help with...namely defense and OL. You have to recognize that spending huge sums of cash on the receivers, knowing that your QB will soon become the highest paid player in the game, is going to essentially cripple the rest of the roster. Thompson is going to spend money in the near future to retain guys on this roster...just not at receiver.

everyone, or almost everyone, thought favre could make any wr great too. then came the likes of bill schroeder and robert ferguson and we were all proven wrong

i agree jennings at 9 or 10 million was too much for us with the other talented guys we have to catch balls, but you can't start letting all that talent at that position just leave

in our pass heavy dependent system we need probably 4 really good wr's on the roster

ThunderDan
03-16-2013, 04:48 PM
everyone, or almost everyone, thought favre could make any wr great too. then came the likes of bill schroeder and robert ferguson and we were all proven wrong

i agree jennings at 9 or 10 million was too much for us with the other talented guys we have to catch balls, but you can't start letting all that talent at that position just leave

in our pass heavy dependent system we need probably 4 really good wr's on the roster

PSST... look at ARods and BFs stats. I think both made their WR pretty darn good. Or it could be the O-system we run that makes both the QB look like a HOF and the WR look good also.