PDA

View Full Version : Crabtree to the Bucs

Brando19
03-15-2013, 11:25 PM
Well...we lose another one. Tom Crabtree is a Buc. Aren't we supposed to be signing players??

Packers4Glory
03-15-2013, 11:31 PM
Damn. I like crabby.

Joemailman
03-16-2013, 12:02 AM
Good guy, but eminently replaceable. Quarless will take his spot.

smuggler
03-16-2013, 03:15 AM
Any news on the contract specifics? A 4th or 5th round comp pick for Crabtree (originially a UDFA) would be actually preferable to him returning, IMO.

pittstang5
03-16-2013, 06:39 AM
Seriously? He must've gotten some good cash. Not big loss, but still, with so many solid players leaving, makes you wonder

Can't remember who said it in another thread, but maybe GB is becoming a farm team.

Smeefers
03-16-2013, 08:18 AM
With the amount of guys we're loosing this year to FA, we gotta be in line for a pretty high comp pick right? I don't know if players we cut or retired are included in that though or not. Woodson, Jennings, Crabtree, Saturday, Walden.

Joemailman
03-16-2013, 08:27 AM
With the amount of guys we're loosing this year to FA, we gotta be in line for a pretty high comp pick right? I don't know if players we cut or retired are included in that though or not. Woodson, Jennings, Crabtree, Saturday, Walden.

It's only the free agents that you lose. So far Jennings, Crabtree and Walden. Maybe Brad Jones to follow.

swede
03-16-2013, 08:32 AM
Tom Crabtree was nothing special as a tight end, but he was a tough sob who brought a great attitude to the team. I guess I should think of it as merely losing a guy like Popinga, but I thought Crabtree was way more serviceable at his position than Poppy was at his.

Mark me down as sad and concerned that the team is going to start getting a little bummed.

For the first time I have a feeling that events are getting away from the wizard. Losing Jennings isn't bad, but losing him to the Vikings is bad. Jennings' and Jackson's agent used TT like a little bitch to get more for his clients. Losing Crabtree menas wasting picks we don't have to waste on an aggressive, special teaming backbencher who probably won't do special teams as well as Crabby did.

[/rant]

Joemailman
03-16-2013, 08:39 AM
Tom Crabtree was nothing special as a tight end, but he was a tough sob who brought a great attitude to the team. I guess I should think of it as merely losing a guy like Popinga, but I thought Crabtree was way more serviceable at his position than Poppy was at his.

Mark me down as sad and concerned that the team is going to start getting a little bummed.

For the first time I have a feeling that events are getting away from the wizard. Losing Jennings isn't bad, but losing him to the Vikings is bad. Jennings' and Jackson's agent used TT like a little bitch to get more for his clients. Losing Crabtree menas wasting picks we don't have to waste on an aggressive, special teaming backbencher who probably won't do special teams as well as Crabby did.

[/rant]

I liked Crabtree but I don't think he's that hard to replace. He wasn't drafted by the Packers, so I don't know you necessarily need to target a draft pick to replace him. This is a classic case of guys who haven't played a lot needing to step up. It's what the Packers count on.

Rutnstrut
03-16-2013, 08:41 AM
The Packers org like many of the fans here are content to live in the past. This comment does not come from the loss of Crabtree, I liked him but he is replaceable. It comes from the all the ineptness this off season as a whole. I could care less that Jennings left, but not to a division opponent. The whole Jackson thing does really bother me. This team really could have used a talent like that, but it didn't fit into the way TT wanted to do it. Hey at this rate they will be able to keep Rodgers, Mathews and Raji happy. But will be a sub 500 team with those three stars on it if things keep going the way they are.

wootah
03-16-2013, 09:01 AM

Losing Crabby, Jennings & Walden also means we might be getting some nice comp picks, Swede! http://rscaforum.be/images/smilies/omdathetkan.smilie.happy2.gif http://i.imgur.com/e9AhaO8.gif http://rscaforum.be/images/smilies/omdathetkan.smilie.happy2.gif

King Friday
03-16-2013, 09:11 AM
The sky is falling! The sky is falling! The sky is falling! You all are the biggest bunch of whining chicken littles I've ever seen.

Thompson does this shit EVERY YEAR. Have you not gotten used to it by now? Yet, come August 1, our roster is always one of the most talented in the league. That isn't going to change because an over-the-hill Woodson, a money-grubbing Jennings, and mediocre talents like Walden and Crabtree walked out the door.

I'm perfectly fine with everyone else in the NFL paying top dollar for our guys...because Thompson will continue to draft guys with equivalent talent, but with contract values that are considerably cheaper. Do none of you remember the young secondary players that stepped up last year? Where did they come from? The same place ALL of these guys came from. Thompson drafts better than 99% of his peers, and that is a fact. Heyward, McMillian, Manning...all drafted LAST YEAR. Do you not expect Thompson to pull 3-4 more players from this year's draft that will make significant contributions in 2013? Don't forget about Perry either, who couldn't contribute heavily last year due to injury. All these guys will be even BETTER in 2013...on top of the rookies we'll get in the draft.

Don't make the mistake of thinking Thompson has lost it because he didn't spend $10M a year on Jennings or $4M a year on Walden. HE SHOULDN'T BE SPENDING THAT KIND OF CASH ON THOSE GUYS.

swede
03-16-2013, 09:35 AM
Nobody mentioned Walden.

Teamcheez1
03-16-2013, 09:41 AM
The Packers org like many of the fans here are content to live in the past. This comment does not come from the loss of Crabtree, I liked him but he is replaceable. It comes from the all the ineptness this off season as a whole. I could care less that Jennings left, but not to a division opponent. The whole Jackson thing does really bother me. This team really could have used a talent like that, but it didn't fit into the way TT wanted to do it. Hey at this rate they will be able to keep Rodgers, Mathews and Raji happy. But will be a sub 500 team with those three stars on it if things keep going the way they are.

What is the "ineptness of this whole off season as a whole"?

We decided not to sign a 30 year old RB?
We decided not to pay at least $9M for Jennings?
We did not keep an oft-injured 37 year old Woodson?
We lost Walden and Crabtree who are imminently replaceable?

I don't like to see players leave any more then the next guy, but there is nothing about these moves that is earth-shattering.

pittstang5
03-16-2013, 09:43 AM

Yes, but won't we get those picks next year? Next year comp. picks won't help now.

King Friday
03-16-2013, 09:44 AM
I don't like to see players leave any more then the next guy, but there is nothing about these moves that is earth-shattering.

STOP BEING SENSIBLE, DAMN IT!

You are only supposed to parrot the notion that Thompson has mental problems.

pbmax
03-16-2013, 09:48 AM
I will miss Crabtree the person, he was fun to have on the team. But as a player he is far more easily replaced. Esp. by Quarless if he's healthy.

Joemailman
03-16-2013, 09:52 AM
I will boldly predict the Packers will somehow manage to replace Greg Jennings' 36 catches, Tom Crabtree's 8 catches, and Erik Walden's stellar run defense. Don't ask me about Brad Jones yet though.

pbmax
03-16-2013, 09:54 AM
One thing, esp. if Jones goes, we might see the consequences on Special Teams first. Which of course means someone could get fired ....

Patler
03-16-2013, 10:36 AM

There is absolutely no basis to characterize this off season as inept until we see what happens the next few seasons. If Jennings goes on to have many more highly successful seasons, AND the Packers do not have a new, young talent who steps up to fill the spot,then maybe losing Jennings was inept. Same for Jackson.

But, if Jackson and Jennings have only a season or so of being the players they have been and/or the Packers find others to fill their roles at a similar high level, not getting either is hardly inept.

Patler
03-16-2013, 10:41 AM

It's only the free agents that you lose. So far Jennings, Crabtree and Walden. Maybe Brad Jones to follow.

I don't think untendered RFAs like Crabtree are considered for compensatory draft picks.

The Shadow
03-16-2013, 10:43 AM
Let's lose everyone so we can field a team of Rodgers, Mathews & Francois. Each of them can have a 40 million dollar contract. TT gets a ton of extra 6th & 7th round draft choices.

Willard
03-16-2013, 10:49 AM
I just watched my favorite Crabtree highlight (I would post it if I was more tech savvy- from Packers.com media center). Sept 12, 2012 against the bears, time winding down in a low scoring first half, the Pack lines up for an iffy 45 yd FG attempt.....what transpired next will be my memory of Crabtree. That and his neanderthalesque appearance which was pretty badass.

George Cumby
03-16-2013, 10:50 AM
Crabby was a decent player but is easily replaced and cheaply by a rook low-rounder or UDFA.

Truly we go through this EVERY year, it's kind of amusing watching people lose their shit over this.

Joemailman
03-16-2013, 10:52 AM
I just watched my favorite Crabtree highlight (I would post it if I was more tech savvy- from Packers.com media center). Sept 12, 2012 against the bears, time winding down in a low scoring first half, the Pack lines up for an iffy 45 yd FG attempt.....what transpired next will be my memory of Crabtree. That and his neanderthalesque appearance which was pretty badass.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zY5oSWd1Jks

Brando19
03-16-2013, 10:57 AM
I'm going to miss the TE Christmas cards with Crabtree's UGLY face....lol.

ThunderDan
03-16-2013, 11:24 AM

He scored that right in front of us at Lambeau. We are at the south endline on the Packers side of the field.

The 4 Bears fans sitting right in front of us were crushed after that play!

denverYooper
03-16-2013, 11:50 AM
One thing, esp. if Jones goes, we might see the consequences on Special Teams first. Which of course means someone could get fired ....

Easy there. Wednesday's still 4 days away.

smuggler
03-16-2013, 11:52 AM
I don't think untendered RFAs like Crabtree are considered for compensatory draft picks.

This is not the case. Not tendering him just means that he became an UFA.

Guiness
03-16-2013, 12:34 PM

This is not the case. Not tendering him just means that he became an UFA.

Anyone know which is correct? I don't think we have to tender him to get a pick. I suspect, however, that it will be a 7th round pick.

I don't understand why some are saying Quarless will replace him? They play the same position, but very differently I think. Quarless is a pass catcher intended to create mis-matches, in the mold of Finley. Quarless is a hard nosed blocker...don't expect any YAC out of him, more like Bubba Franks. Hard to tell with Quarless, of course, we've seen so little of him, but that's certainly how he was billed.

I liked Crabtree, and am sorry he's leaving. Another great video of him wasn't on the football field, it was him making an appearance at a highschool, playing dodgeball. He drilled a kid so hard he knocked him off his feet, the kid and his buddies laughing. Can't remember where I saw that.

Freak Out
03-16-2013, 12:37 PM
I will boldly predict the Packers will somehow manage to replace Greg Jennings' 36 catches, Tom Crabtree's 8 catches, and Erik Walden's stellar run defense. Don't ask me about Brad Jones yet though.

Thanks Joe...I hate the fact that he is now a Viking but losing him really doesn't matter to me. Jennings can be replaced like all of these guys can. Crabtree was a baller but if TT can't find replacements for he and Erik the Horrible then he does need to be fired.:)

smuggler
03-16-2013, 12:46 PM
Anyone know which is correct? I don't think we have to tender him to get a pick. I suspect, however, that it will be a 7th round pick.

Actually, I did some digging and it turns out I was wrong. Patler is correct: Since he was not tendered, we will not get any compensation for him.

This is a good source for Cap/Draft/ n Such http://adamjt13.blogspot.com/

George Cumby
03-16-2013, 12:47 PM
We should give Indy a pick for talking Walden. God, but he was bad.

Carolina_Packer
03-16-2013, 12:58 PM
Is there a sims game to be an NFL GM? That would be a cool way to understand what it means to manage a salary cap. I guess Madden has some components of that.

I trust the Packer decision makers to make the calls that are best for the team, and to also make impacting decisions by sticking to their guns and setting their own market value for guys. Everyone on the team has a cap number that has to be managed based on their worth to the team. It takes a lot of experience to understand the ins and outs of this stuff, and we are fortunate to have the decision makers we have in place. Think about it. The team is so successful that it can't keep all it's talented players. That's a way better situation than when you look at your roster and realize you don't have enough talent. The team has done a good job of scouting and developing the talent we have, so I trust that they will be able to continue to do so this year and into the future. The process works. We've all seen it working. It will keep working because they get a lot of little things right. It's not splashy, but it's very sustainable.

pbmax
03-16-2013, 01:03 PM

I don't understand why some are saying Quarless will replace him? They play the same position, but very differently I think. Quarless is a pass catcher intended to create mis-matches, in the mold of Finley. Quarless is a hard nosed blocker...don't expect any YAC out of him, more like Bubba Franks. Hard to tell with Quarless, of course, we've seen so little of him, but that's certainly how he was billed.

I liked Crabtree, and am sorry he's leaving. Another great video of him wasn't on the football field, it was him making an appearance at a highschool, playing dodgeball. He drilled a kid so hard he knocked him off his feet, the kid and his buddies laughing. Can't remember where I saw that.

Quarless was less the Special Teams demon but he is a more effective blocker. As a pass catcher he is vastly more capable but quite literally has tripped and bobbled a lot of opportunities.

If he was being asked to replace Finley, then worry would be the correct response. But Crabtree's blocking, occasional catch and ST? He'll be fine. If healthy.

swede
03-16-2013, 01:12 PM
Actually, I did some digging and it turns out I was wrong. Patler is correct: Since he was not tendered, we will not get any compensation for him.

This is a good source for Cap/Draft/ n Such http://adamjt13.blogspot.com/

At Packerrats we refer to this as a preemptive self-Patlerization.

swede
03-16-2013, 01:36 PM
Perhaps some of the chicken little o ye of little faith responses were not aimed at me, but I did express some worry.

I am not worried about losing Crabtree. I hated losing him because this team is so reflective of TT and MM there isn't a whole lot of flash and color. An amusing, uber-tatted, hard-working UFA tight end was fun to root for. His play is easily replaced. His character will be missed. That is no more than a personal response to the Crabby deal. And maybe that locker room doesn't miss a beat without Woodson and Jennings and Crab.

The overall angst I have is that league rules are catching up with a successful team like the Packers despite the efforts of White Whiz. Without periodically sucking donkey balls like the 49ers and the Seahawks, how are we supposed to maintain talent levels? The franchise tag system isn't working to help a team keep its stars, as it rarely used on what anyone who might be considered to be a franchise player. For a start, I think the league should be a little more generous with its draft compensations for teams that lose players to free agency. I suppose owners a la Snyder and Jones would whine that such changes would benefit smarter people, which, in itself, is inherently unfair to them.

swede
03-16-2013, 01:52 PM

@AaronRodgers12: Had a lot of teammates in 8 yrs in GB. Few that I enjoyed as much as @TCrabtree83. Your tats, mustache n poor taste in music will be missed

Pugger
03-16-2013, 01:58 PM
Seriously? He must've gotten some good cash. Not big loss, but still, with so many solid players leaving, makes you wonder

Can't remember who said it in another thread, but maybe GB is becoming a farm team.

What solid players? Woodson? He's lost a couple steps. Walden? :lol: Crabtree was a decent blocker and STer but easily replaceable. The only one that left that was worth much was Jennings but he wasn't worth what MN is paying him.

Pugger
03-16-2013, 02:03 PM

It didn't fit into the way JACKSON wanted it to. I truly believe he wanted to go to Atlanta all along so he could play most of his games indoors. To me our additions will be all the guys we lost to IR last season returning rather than guys we sign in FA.

Carolina_Packer
03-16-2013, 02:11 PM
Perhaps some of the chicken little o ye of little faith responses were not aimed at me, but I did express some worry.

I am not worried about losing Crabtree. I hated losing him because this team is so reflective of TT and MM there isn't a whole lot of flash and color. An amusing, uber-tatted, hard-working UFA tight end was fun to root for. His play is easily replaced. His character will be missed. That is no more than a personal response to the Crabby deal. And maybe that locker room doesn't miss a beat without Woodson and Jennings and Crab.

The overall angst I have is that league rules are catching up with a successful team like the Packers despite the efforts of White Whiz. Without periodically sucking donkey balls like the 49ers and the Seahawks, how are we supposed to maintain talent levels? The franchise tag system isn't working to help a team keep its stars, as it rarely used on what anyone who might be considered to be a franchise player. For a start, I think the league should be a little more generous with its draft compensations for teams that lose players to free agency. I suppose owners a la Snyder and Jones would whine that such changes would benefit smarter people, which, in itself, is inherently unfair to them.

You make some very good points. It's not every team that is up against re-signing its most valuable player, best defensive player and defensive line anchor. So let's fast forward a year when we assume Rodgers, Matthews and Raji are in the fold with their new deals. We won't have to be so conservative in the off-season, not that I ever expect TT to spend silly dollars in this period of free agency anyway. They will be able to focus more on the guys who will be coming due for new deals and decide if they need to be tendered and become RFA's or if they want to lock them up to a longer deal and make them a core cap player. I bet next year won't be as as stressful for GB's front office once they know they have those three locked up.

Speaking of Raji, does everyone here think he's earned the right to a long-term deal? Does he do what you need a NT in a 3-4 to do generally? Does he typically command a double-team? There are times where he can be very disruptive and others he seems to get washed out of plays. I guess you could say the same thing about Clay Matthews. If enough of your top dollar defenders are getting double-teamed, what does that say about guys who need to win their one on one battles? The club can either solve this problem in the shorter-term by bringing in guys who can help for a year or two (like a Dwight Freeney type player) or they can get younger, less expensive guys and develop them, ala Dezman Moses. Personally, I'd rather they have younger, cheaper guys who can earn the right to become one of the core cap players, or at least earn the right to RFA tender.

Do you think teams like SF, Seattle and Denver who appear to be "going for broke" could wind up paying a price if they fall short? They seem to be loading up with free agents to put themselves over the top. Could that affect the development of their younger, emerging players?

MJZiggy
03-16-2013, 02:11 PM
Always looking for the silver lining, you are...

Guiness
03-16-2013, 02:30 PM
We should give Indy a pick for talking Walden. God, but he was bad.

See the above quote from smuggler...did we even tender him? I don't remember anything about it.

Joemailman
03-16-2013, 03:01 PM
Walden was probably unrestricted.

King Friday
03-16-2013, 03:09 PM
Do you think teams like SF, Seattle and Denver who appear to be "going for broke" could wind up paying a price if they fall short? They seem to be loading up with free agents to put themselves over the top. Could that affect the development of their younger, emerging players?

Yes.

You build a successful franchise that wins year-in and year-out by drafting capable talent and coaching them up in your system. It is often very difficult to get a bunch of FA veterans, even if they are all talented, on the same page within your system. It often will take at least 1 full season for them to get completely up-to-speed. Meanwhile, they are taking reps away from your younger players...so they aren't learning either.

When you do not rely heavily on free agency, and let the draft do most of your heavy lifting in terms of replenishing the roster, it will typically work out as a positive for the team in the long run. Rarely have teams "paid" for a title in the NFL of late. Most recent champions have been teams built primarily through players drafted and developed in that team's system (New England, Pittsburgh, Green Bay, New York, Baltimore) rather than teams that tried to fill a bunch of holes with FAs/trades. (Philly, Washington, Chicago, etc.)

red
03-16-2013, 03:17 PM
When you do not rely heavily on free agency, and let the draft do most of your heavy lifting in terms of replenishing the roster, it will typically work out as a positive for the team in the long run. Rarely have teams "paid" for a title in the NFL of late. Most recent champions have been teams built primarily through players drafted and developed in that team's system (New England, Pittsburgh, Green Bay, New York, Baltimore) rather than teams that tried to fill a bunch of holes with FAs/trades. (Philly, Washington, Chicago, etc.)

those teams also use free agency to fill holes where they lack talent, they just don't go overboard with it

just like some of us wish our GM would do

King Friday
03-16-2013, 03:24 PM
those teams also use free agency to fill holes where they lack talent, they just don't go overboard with it

So are you saying that Thompson never signs FAs? Because that is clearly untrue.

red
03-16-2013, 03:41 PM
So are you saying that Thompson never signs FAs? Because that is clearly untrue.

and it would be nice if he signed more woodson's, picketts, bensons and even chillars.

and less UDFA's and vet minimum guys

one or two guys being signed for 2 or 3 years at 2-4 million a year could help

denverYooper
03-16-2013, 04:34 PM
1.6m/2 years for Crabtree.

McGinn has GB @ 700K/1 yr

swede
03-16-2013, 04:51 PM
1.6m/2 years for Crabtree.

McGinn has GB @ 700K/1 yr

Another 200k saved. Aaron can get another gardener and a Bentley with that.

Brando19
03-16-2013, 08:20 PM
Another 200k saved. Aaron can get another gardener and a Bentley with that.

LOL!!

Patler
03-16-2013, 08:37 PM
Crabtree was surprised that the Packers didn't see more of a future in him. Green Bay's offer, he said, was $630,000 over one year, the minimum for a three-year veteran.

pbmax
03-16-2013, 08:45 PM
Crabtree was surprised that the Packers didn't see more of a future in him. Green Bay's offer, he said, was $630,000 over one year, the minimum for a three-year veteran.

I wish more of my decisions in life were made that easy!

Rutnstrut
03-16-2013, 08:45 PM
It didn't fit into the way JACKSON wanted it to. I truly believe he wanted to go to Atlanta all along so he could play most of his games indoors. To me our additions will be all the guys we lost to IR last season returning rather than guys we sign in FA.

Until they lose a shit load to injury AGAIN, which is a whole different subject.

Pugger
03-16-2013, 11:42 PM
and it would be nice if he signed more woodson's, picketts, bensons and even chillars.

and less UDFA's and vet minimum guys

one or two guys being signed for 2 or 3 years at 2-4 million a year could help

Benson was a vet minimum. I wouldn't be surprised if we get him again if his foot is healed.

Jimx29
03-16-2013, 11:43 PM
We'll still have this to show his happy/funny attitude:

http://i.imgur.com/UVyRDYK.jpg

Joemailman
03-16-2013, 11:46 PM
Shields, Tramon Williams, and Cullen Jenkins weren't bad UDFA's. Wouldn't have won the Super Bowl without them.