PDA

View Full Version : Denver snafu with Dumervil

Guiness
03-16-2013, 05:18 PM
Quite a debacle in by Elway with the handling of Dumervil's contract renegotiation!

They wanted him to drop his salary, said so earlier this week.

They submitted him a contract at 11am and demanded it back by 1pm! wtf is that??? It's not like these are one page things, they need to be read. The Poston's got charged a little while back for having a client sign a contract without taking the time to read the whole thing.

Anyways, Dumervil and his agent initially said no...then they said yes. Then they tried to fax it and were late, missed a 2pm deadline that would have guaranteed the original contact and Denver had to release him...accelerating some signing bonus onto their cap. Ouch.

Everyone's making fun of the fax machine's part in this, but when it comes to lawyers (and the CRA...IRS as well?) they still rule the day.

Most posters over at PFT blaming the agent on this one, but I'm not so sure. I think they're mostly pissed Broncos fans because his release hits them for $5M.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2013/03/15/elvis-dumervil-agrees-to-salary-reduction/
http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2013/03/15/fax-snafu-leads-to-elvis-dumervils-release/

KYPack
03-16-2013, 06:15 PM
I think John "The Way" takes it in the shorts for this one.

They tried to make ED and his agent look like they were at fault.

You don't buy a house or do a major deal in a few hours, John boy.

Post script...

Elvis disagrees with me.

He just fired his agent.

Well, screw the agent and screw Elway.

pbmax
03-16-2013, 06:46 PM
A lot depends on the details. If it was just a pay cut, there wasn't much to review. But we'll never know. A bunch of agents have said submitting a contract in under and hour is no problem, some do it in minutes. But if they were reviewing new language, then the Broncos were cutting it way too close.

Guiness
03-16-2013, 06:49 PM
I agreed with you, that the blame should be spread around but the agent gets hit here. Broncos too, if that $5M get accelerated against their cap, it's a nasty hit. Elway so much as said they can't re-sign Dumervil now.

Mmm, he was a pretty damn effective OLB in the 3-4 Denver used to run...maybe...:eyes: nah, couldn't happen

Brando19
03-16-2013, 08:19 PM
I agreed with you, that the blame should be spread around but the agent gets hit here. Broncos too, if that $5M get accelerated against their cap, it's a nasty hit. Elway so much as said they can't re-sign Dumervil now.

Mmm, he was a pretty damn effective OLB in the 3-4 Denver used to run...maybe...:eyes: nah, couldn't happen

Lol...I'm on board with your thinking, Guiness...but Ted Thompson just pissed his pants because he laughed so hard. Ted's more likely to sign Elvis Presley than Elvis Dumervil.

Rutnstrut
03-16-2013, 08:25 PM
TT will never sign him that's just crazy talk. I wonder if the Broncos didn't wait until the last minute hoping ED and his agent would miss something in the new contract? I know that's what agents and lawyers are for, but evidently they are supposed to be able to read a clock also.

KYPack
03-16-2013, 09:21 PM
G, I read some of the comments on PFT.

For one, the Bronco fans are crying like school kids.

One guy said, "The agent was actually fired yesterday, but didn't get the FAX until today."

Joemailman
03-16-2013, 11:53 PM
Dumervil has fired his agent. The Broncos are reportedly out 5 million. Dumervil could be out millions too unless he can find someone to pay him at least 8 million.

Pugger
03-16-2013, 11:55 PM
Do you guys think Demervil can find a team willing to pay him 8 million?

Guiness
03-17-2013, 12:26 AM
He may or may not be out money...even if he doesn't get $8M somewhere else (and I don't think he will) if he gets a multi-year deal, he'll get himself another signing bonus and double dip there a bit. 10 sacks/year and under 30, he'll get a pretty good deal.

King Friday
03-17-2013, 09:08 AM
Did Hawk's restructuring occur before or after the Elvis dilemma? Seems odd that the Packer redo Hawk's deal about 3 days AFTER free agency starts...other than the fact that Thompson doesn't even start looking at the market until a week has passed. I highly doubt Ted will go after Elvis...but I find the timing of the Hawk deal oddly coincidental.

Ted is playing with our minds. Such a white haired little bastard.

pbmax
03-17-2013, 09:15 AM
Did Hawk's restructuring occur before or after the Elvis dilemma? Seems odd that the Packer redo Hawk's deal about 3 days AFTER free agency starts...other than the fact that Thompson doesn't even start looking at the market until a week has passed. I highly doubt Ted will go after Elvis...but I find the timing of the Hawk deal oddly coincidental.

The Packers do not advertise these kinds of restructuring and its possible no one knew until it hit the database for the NFLPA's contracts. Hawk's agent has no reason to publicize it. But I cannot offer an definitive explanation for Elvis versus AJ timing, but in cases where there is no league deadline, its possible a bonus for Elvis was due. Finley got his bonus on Friday of last week.

Patler
03-17-2013, 10:20 AM
Finley got his bonus on Friday of last week.

I thought Finley's bonus was due on 3/27?

KYPack
03-17-2013, 10:52 AM
He may or may not be out money...even if he doesn't get $8M somewhere else (and I don't think he will) if he gets a multi-year deal, he'll get himself another signing bonus and double dip there a bit. 10 sacks/year and under 30, he'll get a pretty good deal.

Dumerville has long been one of the bigger frauds in the league. He gives you 10 sacks, but can't play the run for shit. His sacks are the result of his ability to get singled up and take a seam. If he didn't have the brilliant Von Miller on the other side, he's be lucky to get a handull of sacks.

The Broncs were painted in the corner with his contract and punted.

I'll be very curious to see who signs this niche player.

Joemailman
03-17-2013, 11:57 AM

Weren't the Packers still talking to Jackson and possibly Jennings when they restructured Hawk's contract? I figured they were probably trying to clear some cap space for those possible moves.

Guiness
03-17-2013, 12:06 PM
Dumerville has long been one of the bigger frauds in the league. He gives you 10 sacks, but can't play the run for shit. His sacks are the result of his ability to get singled up and take a seam. If he didn't have the brilliant Von Miller on the other side, he's be lucky to get a handull of sacks.

I don't know much about the player, but he did ok before Von Miller came along. 17 sacks in '09 and another dozen in '07. His tackle numbers aren't bad either. I've never really seen him play though, we'll see what he gets on the open market.

Guiness
03-17-2013, 12:41 PM
His agent's side of the story. If it's to be believed, the Bronco's were dicking around until the end, playing with salaries and guarantees.
http://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/nfl/broncos/2013/03/15/elvis-dumervils-agent-marty-magid-rips-broncos-over-contract-screwup/1991723/

One thing that stuck out to me was that the agent claims he received the contract offer at 1pm EDT on Friday, and the Broncos
a) wanted it back for 1pm MDT, and
b)are claiming they sent it through at 11am MDT.

When they sent it should be easy to figure out from the fax transmittal logs, which I'm guessing Dumervil's ex-agent will make available if they vindicate his side of the story.

I smell pursuit of the American Dream, err, a lawsuit here somewhere.

denverYooper
03-17-2013, 01:23 PM

Doom has had some off the field issues too. There was a lot of hubub around here about him, a gun, and a parking spot in Miami last offseason.

pbmax
03-17-2013, 03:01 PM
I thought Finley's bonus was due on 3/27?

I thought it was due last week Friday after reading the JSO article about the Jennings/Jackson negotiations putting Fin on hold over news of his bonus.

But I do not have the source on me. Ah, but after snooping around, I did find your Mar. 27th date: http://www.jsonline.com/blogs/sports/195695611.html