PDA

View Full Version : How To Move On From Jennings

Carolina_Packer
03-17-2013, 10:38 AM
I know there is another post about Jennings signing with the Queens. That ship has sailed. We put a price on his services, stuck to our guns and he got a better offer, if he even wanted to consider staying in GB.

The question now is, how do we move on from him? One guy that I know is slightly older than Jennings, but not a whole lot, is Brandon Lloyd. Could Brandon Lloyd contribute at a similar level to Jennings in Green Bay's offense at a fraction of the pay? Yes, I believe he can. He's 31 now, will be 32 in July. I know that is typically not Green Bay's MO, but if this guy can be a stop-gap help, at a reasonable cap number, and help contribute to the offense, I say let's take a look. The number 85 appears to be available now!

Brando19
03-17-2013, 10:58 AM
In my opinion...I don't think you sign a wr to move on from GJ...I think you've got to get a running back. We need teams to fear the run so the passing game can open up even more. A trade for a guy like Jonathan Stewart or signing Ahmad Bradshaw makes sense. However...when you have a GM named Ted Thompson...nothing makes sense.

Patler
03-17-2013, 11:09 AM
In most respects, they already moved on from Jennings last year. They are fine with their first three. All they need to do is try and develop who they have and bring in more young talent for the 4th and 5th spots.

Joemailman
03-17-2013, 11:27 AM
When the Packers had all 4 (Jennings, Cobb, Jones, Nelson) healthy, on most plays, one or two of them were on the sideline. I think one thing you will see is the three of them on the field a greater percentage of the time. James Jones has made reference to guys getting more opportunities with Jennings gone, and he's probably right. Whoever is the #4 WR (probably Boykin or a draft pick), will likely get a lesser amount of reps. I wouldn't be surprised if Jones, Nelson and Cobb all have more catches in 2013 than they had in 2012.

red
03-17-2013, 11:27 AM
wedon't need to sign anyone to replace jennings, cobb is the guy to replace him

we just need to hope none of our big three wr's gets hurt this year for any serious amount of time, otherwise, we might be in trouble

denverYooper
03-17-2013, 11:29 AM
In most respects, they already moved on from Jennings last year. They are fine with their first three. All they need to do is try and develop who they have and bring in more young talent for the 4th and 5th spots.

It looks to me like they are trending bigger outside of Cobb. Jones, Nelson, Boykin, and Ross are all in the 6'1/210 area. I wonder if that is just how the cards fell, or if they are looking at getting more physical at receiver to counteract the way teams have been playing GB.

King Friday
03-17-2013, 11:45 AM
we just need to hope none of our big three wr's gets hurt this year for any serious amount of time, otherwise, we might be in trouble

If we can develop a running game, it won't matter. Besides, Thompson WILL address the #4/#5 WR slot in terms of bringing in additional talent via the draft/undrafted pickups to compete with what we already have. I'm guessing our #4/#5 receivers will remain better than the majority of other team's #4/#5 receivers. And, we just saved $9M. Thompson wins.

Joemailman
03-17-2013, 11:47 AM
It looks to me like they are trending bigger outside of Cobb. Jones, Nelson, Boykin, and Ross are all in the 6'1/210 area. I wonder if that is just how the cards fell, or if they are looking at getting more physical at receiver to counteract the way teams have been playing GB.

When MM came here, I think they talked about wanting big receivers. Driver though was already here and they weren't going to pass on Jennings just because he wasn't big. Remember though that before that drafted Jennings they drafted Terrence Murphy who was a pretty big guy. So I think there preference is for big receivers, but they're not going to pass on a Jennings or Cobb if available.

Old School
03-17-2013, 12:23 PM
Cobb replaced Jennings last year, and I look for even bigger things from him this year. Minus any serious injuries at WR, TT will be bringing in new talent that will be coached up to replace whoever leaves next. Jennings was a #1 WR. Was as in past tense. Greg will just add media hype to games against the Vikings. We''lbe fine at WR.

Carolina_Packer
03-17-2013, 12:24 PM
wedon't need to sign anyone to replace jennings, cobb is the guy to replace him

This is why I was thinking of a guy like Lloyd, who I think could still hold his own and then some, and provide needed depth. Obviously this only happens if he comes at a reasonable price. Can you imagine what the offense could be like if they signed him and everyone stayed healthy? That said, I'm under no illusion that GB would do something like that. They signed Ced Benson last year because they lacked healthy RB's going into the season. Otherwise, it's not their MO to get older guys as fill-ins. I just happen to like Lloyd.

pittstang5
03-17-2013, 01:24 PM
With who the Packers have now at WR (the big three plus the PS guys and whoever else), the only way they bring in a vet is if they have injuries like they did last year during TC with the running back position. C. Benson was brought in because Starks was hurt, Green was coing off that ACL and being limited on snaps, I think Kuhn was banged up (not that he'd be a starter anyway) and didn't another RB go down in a preseason game. That close to the season, Packers needed a RB, a veteran, someone who could pick up the plays rather quickly and just be plugged in. Grant was available, but I guess TT figured Benson was the better option.

TT will draft a WR somewhere in April or at least pick one up as an UDFA. Other than that, I don't think they a sign any WR in FA.

MJZiggy
03-17-2013, 02:29 PM
With who the Packers have now at WR (the big three plus the PS guys and whoever else), the only way they bring in a vet is if they have injuries like they did last year during TC with the running back position. C. Benson was brought in because Starks was hurt, Green was coing off that ACL and being limited on snaps, I think Kuhn was banged up (not that he'd be a starter anyway) and didn't another RB go down in a preseason game. That close to the season, Packers needed a RB, a veteran, someone who could pick up the plays rather quickly and just be plugged in. Grant was available, but I guess TT figured Benson was the better option.

TT will draft a WR somewhere in April or at least pick one up as an UDFA. Other than that, I don't think they a sign any WR in FA.

Who was that kid they stashed on the PS last year that was a WR? Didn't they give him more money or something to make sure they kept him?

pbmax
03-17-2013, 03:05 PM
Who was that kid they stashed on the PS last year that was a WR? Didn't they give him more money or something to make sure they kept him?

One of the two who kept bouncing around was Gurley, I think he was here for parts of two seasons. But Gurley was released and spent time with about 4 other franchises this year.

Don't remember the other name.

George Cumby
03-17-2013, 08:22 PM
Who is Jennings?

Joemailman
03-17-2013, 08:30 PM
Will M.D. Jennings take the M.D. off his jersey now?

pittstang5
03-17-2013, 08:39 PM
Who is Jennings?

M.D. Jennings - the Doc?

pbmax
03-17-2013, 10:46 PM
M.D. Jennings - the Doc?

How that hasn't caught on wider by now is beyond me. The internet is failing.

Patler
03-18-2013, 04:30 AM
One of the two who kept bouncing around was Gurley, I think he was here for parts of two seasons. But Gurley was released and spent time with about 4 other franchises this year.

Diondre Borel?

woodbuck27
03-18-2013, 07:47 AM
When the Packers had all 4 (Jennings, Cobb, Jones, Nelson) healthy, on most plays, one or two of them were on the sideline. I think one thing you will see is the three of them on the field a greater percentage of the time. James Jones has made reference to guys getting more opportunities with Jennings gone, and he's probably right. Whoever is the #4 WR (probably Boykin or a draft pick), will likely get a lesser amount of reps. I wouldn't be surprised if Jones, Nelson and Cobb all have more catches in 2013 than they had in 2012.

I agree with this and development of a 4th and younger WR from within the existing roster. The Packers have to be overall happy with their WR position to lower their offer to Greg Jennings; which for whatever reason (s) was the correct move to make.

We lost Greg Jennings and suddenly posters here automatically have TT addressing WR early in the draft. The way that TT is acting so far in this FA and if that continues. He'll have bigger fish to fry. Overall we have more need at other positions. We knew that at the conclusion of last season; as we also knew that Greg Jennings was likely to leave Green Bay. That departure cannot alter focus.

Needs...DL, ILB, S, OL, RB and come March 27 we may add another need or TE.

With Greg Jennings gone should (all or any) of his money revert to Jermichael Finley?

GO PACK GO !

pbmax
03-18-2013, 08:10 AM
Diondre Borel?

Sounds right. As I recall, neither previous training camp sensation made it to the roster this past year. Boykin was the one who surfaced.

Pugger
03-18-2013, 10:17 AM

Wasn't his name Borel?

Pugger
03-18-2013, 10:19 AM
I'm thinking TT will most likely draft another WR next month. And I agree with others here - improving our running game is a bigger priority than adding another vet WR.

run pMc
03-18-2013, 11:20 AM
I'm thinking TT will most likely draft another WR next month. And I agree with others here - improving our running game is a bigger priority than adding another vet WR.

I agree. Assuming EDS can replace Saturday and the RB stable can stay healthy the running game will be better.

I think they draft a WR in the 1st 3 rounds...next year James Jones and Finley are UFA's and they will want to have players in the pipeline ready to step up.
I'm skeptical any 2 from the Boykin/Ross/Quarless/Bostick collective can do that.

Guiness
03-18-2013, 11:33 AM
I looked to see what happened to Tori Gurley - he passed through the roster of, in order, Minnesota (of course!), Oakland, Tampa Bay and San Diego last year! He's now listed at a Raven - when did he sign? Did he get a ring?

woodbuck27
03-18-2013, 11:44 AM
I looked to see what happened to Tori Gurley - he passed through the roster of, in order, Minnesota (of course!), Oakland, Tampa Bay and San Diego last year! He's now listed at a Raven - when did he sign? Did he get a ring?

Tori Gurley was signed to a Reserve/Future contract with the Ravens on Jan. 03, 2013. Today he's listed on their roster without any number assigned to him.

Guiness
03-18-2013, 12:17 PM
Tori Gurley was signed to a Reserve/Future contract with the Ravens on Jan. 03, 2013. Today he's listed on their roster without any number assigned to him.

I wasn't sure what that sort of contract was, so I went looking.

http://www.steeleraddicts.com/2012/01/football-101-what-are-reservefutures-contracts-in-the-nfl/#.UUdJ4FeNHxs

So just what are these “Reserve/Futures” contracts that you hear about in the offseason so much?

Basically, when a player is signed to “reserve/futures” contracts means they are being signed for the upcoming season even though that season does not officially begin until the official start of the league’s new year as outlined by the NFL. Only players who were not on any NFL team’s active roster when the previous season ended are eligible for these types of contracts. If they were under contract, then they would remain so until the league’s new year starts. Players who were on practice squads at the end of the season are eligible to sign with any team. Hence the reason that you see many practice squad players being signed by their current team for the upcoming year to a reserve/futures contract. That way the team can continue to work with a player they’re familiar with and hopefully get them ready for an eventual roster spot on game day.

So he wasn't on the roster or PS.

Interesting is that it says players on practice squads are eligible for these contract at the end of the season. I wonder how that works for teams that are still in the playoffs? Surely you can't go signing guys off their PSs to a futures contract!

woodbuck27
03-18-2013, 12:36 PM
I wasn't sure what that sort of contract was, so I went looking.

http://www.steeleraddicts.com/2012/01/football-101-what-are-reservefutures-contracts-in-the-nfl/#.UUdJ4FeNHxs

So he wasn't on the roster or PS.

Interesting is that it says players on practice squads are eligible for these contract at the end of the season. I wonder how that works for teams that are still in the playoffs? Surely you can't go signing guys off their PSs to a futures contract!

He was signed Jan. 03 ,2013. He had to be 'at least' then assigned to the Ravens PS.

Returning to the question of that ring and Mr. Gurley.

Who gets Super Bowl rings?

IR and PS players get rings if their team decides to give them out to them. Usually they do . The NFL allows a certain amount of money, in the $100,000's$, to go toward the winning teams Super Bowl rings. This money can be spent at the organizations discretion. It is up to the owner how far into the organizations chain they want to dish out rings at a cost of ... I read $ 5 Grand $ per. I was surprized that they weren't worth more.

There aren't any rules when it comes to who gets the superbowl rings. It's the call of the owner of the team. The owner of the Baltimore Ravens is a very generous man. Proof of that is Joe Flacco's enormous contract.

Guiness:

This leaves us no further ahead in determining if 'in fact' Tori Gurley will receive a ring. Evidently... 'a cheerleader' may get a ring while a fella on the PS may not. If I was Tori Gurley I might send Steve Bisciotti a case of Premium beer every week because today Mr. Bisciotti may not be feeling as generous as he was with Joe Flacco :

http://sports.stackexchange.com/questions/2205/who-gets-super-bowl-rings