PDA

View Full Version : Casey Hayward

KYPack
03-17-2013, 11:00 AM
I was very impressed with this kid last season.

No physical phenom, but he has a great feel for corner play and understands where his help is coming from and where to flow in the zone. A solid, young DB.

I noticed this in Pro football Focus:

“Quarterbacks had a 31.1 quarterback rating when throwing into the coverage of Casey Hayward. Lowest in the league.”

There could well be a changing of the guard at CB next season.

denverYooper
03-17-2013, 11:30 AM
Where? You think they take Hayward out of the slot?

Joemailman
03-17-2013, 11:40 AM
Yep. Joe Whitt has already said there will be real competition for the starting CB positions last year. I think that was a message to Tramon that Hayward might not just be targeted as a slot back. And don't forget about House if he's healthy.

Hayward reminds me a little of Craig Newsome. Not the greatest physical specimen, but really knows how to play the position. MM last year noted that Hayward "understands what the opposition player is trying to do to him". Sometimes that's half the battle.

Old School
03-17-2013, 12:26 PM
Tramon Williams will have to step up his play bad shoulder or not to hang on to his starting job. Hayward and House will see to that.

HarveyWallbangers
03-17-2013, 01:13 PM
Shields at RCB, House at LCB, Hayward in the slot next year.

pittstang5
03-17-2013, 01:35 PM
Shields at RCB, House at LCB, Hayward in the slot next year.

If that's the case, what do you do with Tramon, more importantly, his salary. You don't pay 8 mil for a player to sit. Can you trade him? Nobody is going to want to take on that salary, for a broken down CB. You release him, he goes to the Vikings like everyone else. :lol:

Guiness
03-17-2013, 04:37 PM
If that's the case, what do you do with Tramon, more importantly, his salary. You don't pay 8 mil for a player to sit. Can you trade him? Nobody is going to want to take on that salary, for a broken down CB. You release him, he goes to the Vikings like everyone else. :lol:

Tramon is definitely looking down the barrel of the gun right now. I think his contract would count for $7.4M against the cap, and only $2M of signing bonus accelerated if cut. He's going to have to prove himself.

Smeefers
03-17-2013, 06:04 PM
Everything depends on whether or not Tramon can really even come back from his injury. I recall reading before the start of last season that he felt like he was only at 50%. Then all of a sudden he was all better. Well, that obviously wasn't the truth. If T Will comes back to form, he's better than every other CB on our team and I have no doubt that he keeps his spot. If he's not, he has a strong chance of getting cut.

The biggest plus last year given about Hayward when he was drafted was that he was so darn smart. The way the press talked about him, he was an astrophysicist who happened to play corner. He had enough physical talent in order to really use those brains of his. He reminds me of a Woodson actually, just not as hard of hitting. If he keeps up his play, I believe he's the one who would take William's spot, with House filling in at slot. House has played well, but he hasn't shown the ability to be great anywhere near where Hayward has.

KYPack
03-17-2013, 09:20 PM
Everything depends on whether or not Tramon can really even come back from his injury. I recall reading before the start of last season that he felt like he was only at 50%. Then all of a sudden he was all better. Well, that obviously wasn't the truth. If T Will comes back to form, he's better than every other CB on our team and I have no doubt that he keeps his spot. If he's not, he has a strong chance of getting cut.

The biggest plus last year given about Hayward when he was drafted was that he was so darn smart. The way the press talked about him, he was an astrophysicist who happened to play corner. He had enough physical talent in order to really use those brains of his. He reminds me of a Woodson actually, just not as hard of hitting. If he keeps up his play, I believe he's the one who would take William's spot, with House filling in at slot. House has played well, but he hasn't shown the ability to be great anywhere near where Hayward has.

They call Vandy "The Harvard of the South around here". The only real dumb shit I've run across from Vandy is a certain punk ass QB.

Will Casey play corner or the slot?

Some teams are actually playing their best cover corner in the slot to break up those slants and digs.

It's a pleasant dilema to be sure.

Will TW make it back?

Nerve damage never heals and he might be too dinged to make the club.

The next camp is huge for him.

Pugger
03-18-2013, 10:40 AM

Didn't Tramon recently admit he wasn't 100% last season? Let's hope he is back to his 2010 form. If he is then corner is our deepest position!

run pMc
03-18-2013, 10:48 AM
I think the question with Heyward is whether he's big/fast enough to play on the outside. I think he's good in the slot, and since most teams play 3WR's he'd be a starter. The young guys will push Tramon but I think he's safe this year. It will be interesting to see what it will take to sign/keep Shields.