PDA

View Full Version : Is it a good thing, or a bad thing?

Patler
03-18-2013, 04:51 AM
Is it good or bad that Rodgers, Matthews and Raji all have the same agent?

For the agent, David Dunn, it is a very good thing, because he will negotiate some nice contracts, and receive a really nice payday for it.

Does this give either the players or the team an advantage? A disadvantage?

The team certainly won't be able to exaggerate at all during negotiations with one player about what they need to hold back to pay the others, but it can sort of work both ways. The players can't ask for more than there is.

I don't know if it is good, bad or doesn't matter.

woodbuck27
03-18-2013, 07:30 AM
If I was Ted Thompson I would forsee 'a challenge'.

King Friday
03-18-2013, 08:38 PM
Can we get a discount double check?

Bretsky
03-18-2013, 09:11 PM
Is it good or bad that Rodgers, Matthews and Raji all have the same agent?

For the agent, David Dunn, it is a very good thing, because he will negotiate some nice contracts, and receive a really nice payday for it.

Does this give either the players or the team an advantage? A disadvantage?

The team certainly won't be able to exaggerate at all during negotiations with one player about what they need to hold back to pay the others, but it can sort of work both ways. The players can't ask for more than there is.

I don't know if it is good, bad or doesn't matter.

Did not work out well for us with Eugene Parker............with Jennings and Action Jackson

red
03-18-2013, 10:09 PM
not good, the guy could play hardball with two guys to get the third guy what he wants

smuggler
03-18-2013, 10:16 PM
I'll look at it as a positive, because Dunn is not Parker. That's a good thing, I think.

Carolina_Packer
03-18-2013, 10:22 PM
not good, the guy could play hardball with two guys to get the third guy what he wants

He could, and not that there is slotting per se, but I think agents know what each guy at his respective position is worth in terms of market value, so there may not be a lot of wiggle room. If he were trying to "raise the bottom up" in terms of getting his "least" client of the three (Raji, for the sake of this example), I think the Packers would stand their ground and not let themselves be raked over the coals. Wouldn't that be awkward if he could work a deal for Rodgers and Matthews, but not Raji?

So, if you are the Packers, is there an order in which you'd like to have the deals done? Does it work best to get Rodgers done first, the Matthews and then put pressure on Raji's agent to make it a clean sweep? Or, do you start with Raji? I'm not sure if signing one guy before the others makes it more or less favorable to the team.