PDA

View Full Version : McCarthy, Thompson sound off on Ahmad Bradshaw, running game

SnakeLH2006
03-18-2013, 04:56 AM
http://lombardiave.com/2013/03/17/mccarthy-thompson-sound-off-on-ahmad-bradshaw-running-game/

Just as Green Bay Packers head coach Mike McCarthy was surrounded by the press this evening at the NFL league meetings, Jason Wilde of ESPN reported that the news that the Packers had expressed interest in New York Giants running back Ahmad Bradshaw.

When pressed about the report, McCarthy said:

“I’d like to think I’m old enough along that I don’t have to answer these questions in March. The depth chart doesn’t always look full this time of year. But the guys we do have there, they’re all young and they can all get better. Are we going to add more people there? Yeah, there will be more competition. It’s definitely to enhance the running game.”

Just exactly what that means, I’m not exactly sure, but if there’s a time of year when cloak and dagger tactics and words covering up exact meanings comes to the forefront it’s at this time of year in the NFL. That’s what it’s all about. Nobody wants to tip their hand, and that includes both McCarthy and Packers general manager Ted Thompson.

One thing is for certain – the Packers have to do something about their anemic running game. Whether that means bringing back Cedric Benson to compete with Alex Green, James Starks, and DuJuan Harris at halfback remains to be seen.

Or does it mean trying to sign someone like Bradshaw, a bruising back whose continuous pounding has led to a series of injuries over the past few years. Regardless, he’s been productive and his young age (27) are positives that will be considered by both the Packers and the Pittsburgh Steelers in the coming days. There may be other teams that also join the sweepstakes – it is still early in the bidding.

Last year, Bradshaw ran for 1,015 yards on 221 carries – a 4.6-yard average, and six touchdowns in 14 games. He had surgery on his injured foot at the end of the season.

According to Wilde’s post earlier tonight, Thompson also expressed uncertainty about the running game and the personnel in-house.

In talking about the possibility of bringing Benson back and how to address the running game, Thompson said, “It’s like any position, we look hard at all of them and we’ve got a number of positions where the injury thing is going to factor in. We need to find out where we are there. But we feel pretty good about it.

“In general, we talk about all our free agents as if we’d like to have them back. There’s a scenario where we’d like to have (Benson) back. We need to find out about the injury thing.”

Where that takes the Packers in the next few weeks as they prepare for the NFL Draft remains to be seen. Whether the Packers pursue Bradshaw should be known sometime this coming week. From there, whether the Packers decide to go after running backs in the draft should come into focus, as well as whether the team will be bringing Benson back.

Stay tuned …

I wasn't as high on 31 year old Benson as some were last year...he's old, slow, injury prone, beaten up, and a numbskull. Bradshaw at $1.5 million in a depressed vet market at 27..ok. Snake is on board. I'd still settle for Lacy or Ball early, but knowing TT he's gonna grab a guy in the 3rd-6th that will be our RB 2014-2017...and that's ok, too.

As long as we got ARod, we dont' need a beast RB...it would be nice, but name the last top 3 QB in his prime with numbers that had a beast RB?? No one...cuz Arod is the offense and MM and TT know that....3.9 ypc are ok in 2012....as we'll fig it out. ARod right now is as good as Brady, Young, Montana, Warner in their primes...paying $10 million for Jennings...or any WR is a waste as he can get 4000 yards and 35 TDs in his sleep at 29 years old. We need money for our D. Almost 600 yards to SF in the playoffs...ummm...ya. Fix that.

woodbuck27
03-18-2013, 07:29 AM
Sure as usual he said...Ohh Dear !

Nothing.

Pugger
03-18-2013, 10:22 AM
I'd rather both TT and MM not show their hand just. Why let others know your intentions? It just drives up the price. Bradshaw is a good back but his ankle injuries make me pause.

woodbuck27
03-18-2013, 10:38 AM
I'd rather both TT and MM not show their hand just. Why let others know your intentions? It just drives up the price. Bradshaw is a good back but his ankle injuries make me pause.

I wonder if MM had a clip board in front of his face when he responded to media questions.

Plenty of Green Bay Packer fans know what TT and MM need in Green Bay. As does the media, the management of other teams, and NFL FA's etc.

I'll do 'a back flip' if TT signs A. Bradshaw. I'll put that in perspective. I officially retired fr. the workforce last year.

Incidently .... the analysis on NFL Access RE: A. Bradshaw in Green Bay?

A solid move for Ted Thompson.

GO PACK GO !

run pMc
03-18-2013, 11:28 AM
Benson would be just ok for another year.
Probably.

As a 1 year rental Bradshaw would be an upgrade. He's younger and faster. Bradshaw gets hurt a lot though. If the money was right I'd be on the bandwagon. They won't tip their hand too much because it will drive up the price.

Guiness
03-18-2013, 12:23 PM
LeGarrette Blount is apparently available, I think I'd rather have him than Benson or Bradshaw.

Zool
03-18-2013, 01:32 PM
LeGarrette Blount is apparently available, I think I'd rather have him than Benson or Bradshaw.

Maybe he could knock Hawk out on the sidelines.

OS PA
03-18-2013, 02:25 PM
I betchya Blount could be gotten for a 6th. If only we had any say in the matter.

Joemailman
03-18-2013, 02:30 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y_mayV_AFMI

woodbuck27
03-18-2013, 02:38 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y_mayV_AFMI

Does he lack power? Does he lack strength? Is he too old? Is his injury history frightening?

2010 Season

In his rookie season Blount played 13 games and accumulated 1007 rushing yards; the most by a rookie in the 2010 NFL season. Blount became the second undrafted running back in NFL history to accumulate 1000 yards in his rookie year (Dominic Rhodes was the first).

2011 Season

[edit]

" Blount started off the season with only 5 carries for 15 yards against the Detroit Lions.

The next week Blount re-established his strong running ability with 13 carries for 71 yards and two touchdowns against the Minnesota Vikings. This includes the game-winning touchdown with 30 seconds left to play.

In week 5 in a game with the 49'ers, Blount injured his knee after accumulating only 15 yards rushing and was forced to miss weeks 6 and 7.

Blount would ultimately return for the matchup with the New Orleans Saints.

See the above Video:

On November 20, 2011 Blount broke free from eight Green Bay Packers tacklers and scored on a 54 yard touchdown run."

GO PACK GO !

Guiness
03-18-2013, 02:44 PM
Wow, that looked an awful lot like the Marshawn run against the Saints! Blount went through everyone on that play. Woodson, Hawk and Burnett. I'm pretty sure that was Collins that hit him at the same time as Burnett (#42). Who's the LB beside Hawk that made contact near the LOS? Bishop?

Zool
03-18-2013, 02:54 PM
Guy has a good right hook.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BUG2SqGuutQ

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OEu3GzNDs74

denverYooper
03-18-2013, 03:02 PM
If nothing else, maybe they could sign him to work on their tackling.

woodbuck27
03-18-2013, 03:09 PM
Wow, that looked an awful lot like the Marshawn run against the Saints! Blount went through everyone on that play. Woodson, Hawk and Burnett. I'm pretty sure that was Collins that hit him at the same time as Burnett (#42). Who's the LB beside Hawk that made contact near the LOS? Bishop?

Not sure Guiness and Desmond Bishop wore NO. 55. This will help you determine the answer:

http://www.jsonline.com/sports/packers/126439368.html

This fella looked impressive on that awesome run by Blount:

He wasn't going to bring Blount down but 'the athleticism' and closeing fast on him. Surprize! That man wore NO. 93.

PACKERS !

woodbuck27
03-18-2013, 03:10 PM
If nothing else, maybe they could sign him to work on their tackling.

Why? do you write that?

At any given Packer practise there are lots of dummies at Lambeau.

Trying to tackle Blount 'seems' ... dangerous.

swede
03-18-2013, 03:41 PM
Do you know, I actually kind of liked him knocking out the opposing player talking crap after the win. If you are going to make grown men be gladiators you might as well get the good bad guys on your side.

"BOOM! What was you sayin? Oh...NOW you're quiet. I thought so."

Way too much not feeling bad about the loss from most football players.

woodbuck27
03-18-2013, 04:03 PM
Guy has a good right hook.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BUG2SqGuutQ

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OEu3GzNDs74

There's a heavy weight boxer trying to get out of that man.

Joemailman
03-18-2013, 04:12 PM
Do you know, I actually kind of liked him knocking out the opposing player talking crap after the win. If you are going to make grown men be gladiators you might as well get the good bad guys on your side.

"BOOM! What was you sayin? Oh...NOW you're quiet. I thought so."

Way too much not feeling bad about the loss from most football players.

I always thought it was unfair he got suspended for the rest of the season, and the Boise St. player who was clearly instigating got off free.