PDA

View Full Version : I just don't get it!

Patler
03-18-2013, 05:15 AM
I don't understand the reciprocal fascination that seems to exist between the Vikings and former Packer players. It has gone on for years, with different staffs in MN, and the Packers at different levels of achievement.

I can sort of understand the Vikings playing the Packers twice a year, and maybe coveting their players a bit due to the sustained success GB has had. But, with 31 other teams to go to besides GB, why do so many Packers focus on the Vikings? There would seem to be other places more interesting professionally and personally.

There is hardly a FA from GB that isn't rumored to be under consideration in MN.

woodbuck27
03-18-2013, 06:35 AM
Hi Patler:

This isn't hardly one of the great mysteries in life unfolding in this post. One teams 'dry crusts' is the other teams 'fruits'.

Your a hockey man. I'm thinking of the great Montreal Canadians - Boston Bruins rivalry; comparing that to the Green Bay Packers- Minnesota Vikings rivalry. The NHL uses 'the trade' more readily than the NFL in it's day to day business. Therefore every team has to be responsible for player exchanges and possible repercussions. A team in any Pro sport loses that control in terms of Free Agency.

Your aware that when a player goes from one team to another, especially concerning a strong rivalry (the Packers -Viokings rivalry) all eyes will be on that move in terms related to impact. Both teams in that rivalry are well aware of the talents on both sides. That must certainly be the case with both teams management and coaching staff.Team management must assess how well a player on the opposing side would fit with their team.

In the NFL besides all the available media material and possibly the teams scouting dept. There are generally at most only two times to assess a rival teams players or within divisional play. Is that more or less? In the NFL's 16 game schedule that's huge.

The fact that Packers often become Vikings is because those Packer 'dry crusts' are deemed the future Vikings fruits.The Vikings are well aware of what a Ryan Lonwell, Darren Sharpe, Brett Favre and a Greg Jennings will bring to their table. The Viking organization opens it's arms to those players with handsome $rewards$; after a sound recruiting PR process, that includes 'first class' treatment. The Viking Organization demonstrates with class their needs/desires for that player.

Maybe? Minnesota offers 'a real change', in some personal regard. ie An enhanced style of living depended on the player's and their family's general interests.

These are just my thoughts on your question Patler. In terms of 'the individual'; there can be different reasons to become a Minnesota Viking.

GO PACK GO !

Rastak
03-18-2013, 07:42 AM
I don't understand the reciprocal fascination that seems to exist between the Vikings and former Packer players. It has gone on for years, with different staffs in MN, and the Packers at different levels of achievement.

I can sort of understand the Vikings playing the Packers twice a year, and maybe coveting their players a bit due to the sustained success GB has had. But, with 31 other teams to go to besides GB, why do so many Packers focus on the Vikings? There would seem to be other places more interesting professionally and personally.

There is hardly a FA from GB that isn't rumored to be under consideration in MN.

I think GB has the "better to let them go one year too early than one year to late" mentality, so perhaps staying in division is a way to say "I'll show you I'm not done". In addition, Sharper, Longwell, Favre and Jennings were all right place right time for the Vikings as they had great need at those positions.

woodbuck27
03-18-2013, 07:53 AM
I think GB has the "better to let them go one year too early than one year to late" mentality, so perhaps staying in division is a way to say "I'll show you I'm not done". In addition, Sharper, Longwell, Favre and Jennings were all right place right time for the Vikings as they had great need at those positions.

Hi Rastak:

Certainly your correct. The old 'I'll show you', isn't exclusive to the culture of the NFL, much less 'the Green Bay Packers'.

Rastak?

Who's the most prominant player (s) that have come the other way? From the Vikings to the Packers?

Joemailman
03-18-2013, 07:57 AM
I think all the situations were a little different. Longwell may have wanted to finish his career in a dome to take advantage of the perfect kicking conditions. Sharper may have wanted to stick it to the Packers a little bit after being asked to take a pay cut. Favre I think wanted to go somewhere where he wouldn't be expected to show up for offseason activities. It sounds like Jennings just went for the most money.

Rastak
03-18-2013, 08:08 AM
Hi Rastak:

Certainly your correct. The old 'I'll show you', isn't exclusive to the culture of the NFL, much less 'the Green Bay Packers'.

Rastak?

Who's the most prominant player (s) that have come the other way? From the Vikings to the Packers?

The great Ben Steele.

pbmax
03-18-2013, 08:13 AM
The great Ben Steele.

Hey Ras. That's another guy I think the Tuna, or one of his protege's, stole from the Packers. Just like Sowell.

Patler
03-18-2013, 08:26 AM
Most prominent Viking to Packer signing? Probably Gilbert Brown, 3rd round pick of the Vikings, released due to weight issues, I think with the intent to get him on their practice squad. He went to GB instead. Sort of what happened to GB trying to get Hunter Hillenmeyer onto the PS, only to have the Bears take him away.

woodbuck27
03-18-2013, 08:29 AM
I think all the situations were a little different. Longwell may have wanted to finish his career in a dome to take advantage of the perfect kicking conditions. Sharper may have wanted to stick it to the Packers a little bit after being asked to take a pay cut. Favre I think wanted to go somewhere where he wouldn't be expected to show up for offseason activities. It sounds like Jennings just went for the most money.

I am sure it was more than 'just the money'. Greg Jennings explains it all very clearly. In final analysis:

He and his family saw time for change.

I believe that like alot of people and Pro athletes. That Greg Jennings has a strong ego. It was obvious to you (all of us) that his role on the Packer 'O' had changed. He wanted more attention and that wasn't going to happen for certain obvious reasons we don't need to rehash.

PACKERS !

woodbuck27
03-18-2013, 08:31 AM
Most prominent Viking to Packer signing? Probably Gilbert Brown, 3rd round pick of the Vikings, released due to weight issues, I think with the intent to get him on their practice squad. He went to GB instead. Sort of what happened to GB trying to get Hunter Hillenmeyer onto the PS, only to have the Bears take him away.

Gilbert Brown. What a beauty.

woodbuck27
03-18-2013, 08:34 AM
The great Ben Steele.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ben_Steele

San Francisco 49ers (2001-2002)
Oakland Raiders (2002)
Seattle Seahawks (2003)

Minnesota Vikings( 2003-2004)
Green Bay Packers (2004-2005)

Houston Texans (2006-2007)

Thanks Rastak

sharpe1027
03-18-2013, 09:48 AM
The reason a player actively seeks out a division rival is probably a little different for each player; however, if it was just "business" and the leaving players didn't give a damn about the Packers, then I doubt the players would bother looking to the West - over any other team.

Perhaps it has to do with the team trying to foster a real team environment. This is supposedly both on and off the field, and the Green Bay fans might have a part in this as well. This environment is a great idea most of the time, but it might be a source of resentment when a player feels they are no longer fully-appreciated. IDK.

On the other side of the coin, the Vikings may see it as a opportunity to weaken their rivals, while simultaneously creating some controversy and driving up interest and (hopefully) ticket sales.

Zool
03-18-2013, 10:07 AM
The great Ben Steele.

Gilbert Brown

run pMc
03-18-2013, 11:09 AM
It made so much sense I'm surprised it happened.
The Vikings had loads of cap space and a bare cupboard at WR. Weakening a division rival is icing on the cake.

There was definitely some ego. Jennings wanted the money, after being slighted by Michigan as a college recruit I wouldn't doubt he wanted to be wined and dined -- this was his last best chance of that. I don't think his odds of winning another SB ring are better with MIN. Playing indoors on that turf will help mitigate having Ponder/Cassel as his QB, but next year? At TCF Bank stadium? Yikes.
Having 13 guys in the box try to stop Peterson will help too, but in obvious passing downs he's gonna have to prove he can beat press/double/bracket coverage. Maybe he does that this year, but at 31, 32, etc. it will be tough.

TT did let him go a year early, and Jennings is a helluva player, but he's gone to the Darkside and GB has to reload. (In fairness to TT, JSOnline says he offered GJ $8M/yr.)
I expect GB should get a nice compensatory pick next year for losing him.

I forgot about Ben Steele and couldn't think of any MIN players that made it here besides Gilbert. Pretty much the same deal with CHI & DET...funny how they seem to take GB's guys though.

Teamcheez1
03-18-2013, 11:45 AM
It made so much sense I'm surprised it happened.
The Vikings had loads of cap space and a bare cupboard at WR. Weakening a division rival is icing on the cake.

Good point. I hadn't thought about the fact we weakened our division rival by sending GJ to them.

Tony Oday
03-18-2013, 11:53 AM
$9.5 Million was too much for the 1d WR we have three good WRs that are all on par so now lets use some Picks to reload the Corp and use that cash to sign AR.