PDA

View Full Version : Notebook: McCarthy wants Jolly back, but they must meet first

SnakeLH2006
03-18-2013, 05:20 AM
http://www.doorcountyadvocate.com/article/20130317/PKR01/303170437/

PHOENIX — Mike McCarthy would like to see defensive end Johnny Jolly complete his comeback from a three-year suspension and return to the field for the Green Bay Packers.

But the Packers coach said Sunday there still are several hurdles for Jolly to clear before that can happen.

The first is a face-to-face meeting with McCarthy and general manager Ted Thompson. No date has been scheduled for that meeting.

Jolly, 30, hasn’t played since the 2009 season but was reinstated by NFL commissioner Roger Goodell effective March 4. He was suspended shortly before training camp in 2010 after several arrests in the Houston area for felony possession of codeine. Jolly applied for reinstatement shortly after he was released from prison in May 2012 after serving just six months of a six-year sentence. Goodell waited nearly a year to allow Jolly back into the league to see whether Jolly could remain clean.

The Packers’ offseason program begins April 15, the first day the league allows players to return for workouts, so it’s possible McCarthy and Thompson won’t know any more about Jolly until then. Even if they are convinced Jolly can stay clean and assimilate back into the locker room, perhaps the most important question is, can he still play?

“As with any player, you go through a medical process,” McCarthy said. “We’ll go through all that. I think it’s important to go through all that before we get into how we feel. Johnny, I’ve always considered him one of our guys, and everybody knows what he’s been through. It would be great if this opportunity works out. But as an organization, we have a responsibility to go through the process.”

The Packers must have at least some interest in Jolly because instead of cutting him after he was reinstated, they reduced his salary from the $2.521 million he was scheduled to make in 2010 (that contract was tolled) to $715,000. He would collect that only if he makes the team.

“The first step is for everybody to sit down and talk, that sort of thing,” Thompson said Sunday on the eve of the NFL annual meetings at the Arizona Biltmore hotel. “We don’t have any answers. I don’t think anybody has all the answers. But we’re going to talk to the man and find out all the stuff that we can find out in terms of his obligations and that sort of thing.”

Even though he was reinstated by the NFL, it’s possible Jolly would have to get court clearance in order to return to the Packers.

“Johnny was a good football player for us,” Thompson said. “But let’s take this step by step.”
About Finley's return

Nothing will be assured until March 27, when he is owed a $3 million roster bonus, but all indications are tight end Jermichael Finley will return to the Packers this season.

The Packers’ financial commitment to Finley is substantial, $8.25 million in salary and bonuses for 2013, but after losing receiver Greg Jennings to Minnesota in free agency, it’s all but certain they will retain their top tight end.

Much like he did during his season-ending news conference, McCarthy raved about how Finley finished last season. In the seven regular-season games following the bye week, Finley caught 32 passes for 396 yards and one touchdown. In the first nine games, he caught 29 passes for 271 yards and one touchdown while battling a shoulder injury.

Still only 25 (he turns 26 on March 26), the Packers think Finley is an ascending player.

“I think Jermichael has grown up a lot; I think he has a lot of growing up to do,” McCarthy said. “You step back, it’s rewarding to see what he’s accomplished, but also it’s because he has so much in front of him — on the field and off the field. He had expectations, (and) like we all do, (they) get the best of us. I think his individual expectations and then the injury, I really think the bye week he had an opportunity to step away and change some things. He was a different guy. He was focused and productive in the second half of the season.”

McCarthy said he planned to streamline the way in which he uses his athletic tight end.

“(A) coaching philosophy we established in the beginning, less volume and more creativity,” McCarthy said. “It’s part of our technique, and I don’t really want to get into that right now because I haven’t shared it with the team. You have to watch so you don’t do too much. That’s an easy trap to fall into in this league.”
Another running back?

McCarthy was speaking to reporters Sunday afternoon when a report surfaced the Packers were interested in former New York Giants running back Ahmad Bradshaw.

ESPN’s Adam Schefter reported the Packers and Steelers were interested Bradshaw, who will turn 27 on Tuesday. Bradshaw rushed for 1,015 yards in 14 games last season. McCarthy didn’t discuss Bradshaw specifically.

“The depth chart doesn’t always look full this time of the year, sometimes, regardless of the position,” McCarthy said. “But the guys we do have there, they’re all young, and they can all get better. Are we going to add more people there? Yeah, there will be more competition. It’s definitely to enhance the running game.”

Thompson also didn’t rule out re-signing running back Cedric Benson, who played in only five games last season before a foot injury ended his season.

“There’s a scenario where we’d like to have him back,” Thompson said. “We need to find out about the injury thing.”

Jolly is a retard...but hell he really disrupted some stuff and made plays when he played. Vet's minimum sounds ok if he can play at all. He shut his mouth and played pretty well stuffing runs and knocking down passes, and disrupting plays as a DE. Other than a furious pass rush, not much else you could ask of him.

Finley is a retard, but never really did shit other than substandardly fuck 18 year olds that I know and threaten them not to talk, talked a bunch of shit about Arod by himself and through his agent, dropped a lot of balls, pissed off everyone that loves the Packers, and gets $8.5 million this year to catch 50 balls, drop 15, and blame everyone.

Drop that MASSIVE FAKE CLOWN ASS douchebag and his HUGE salary and sign some deece Packers that produce to extensions. AJ Hawk took a paycut (thank god), so why can't he?

woodbuck27
03-18-2013, 07:25 AM
Yup it's time to be consistent in terms of contracts and 'it's this or that'...you choose.

The Baltimore Ravens decided to ruin their franchise for a few seasons. Why!? To pay out $20 million$ to a QB. Already we see the repercussions of that franchise acting emotionally over Joe Flacco and his impending Free Agency after a successful Super Bowl run. What did committing to that large contract gurantee? In my view nothing but the obvious.

a) The bottom line will be too many unfamiliar faces at the teams summer barbecue.

b) As I recall the number Vegas isn't impressed. There odds of a victory in the next Super Bowl has fallen from 14/1 to 22/1 so far in this off season.

I trust that the Green Bay Packers 'thinking heads' will get it right. That based on common sense. You cannot sink too much CAP space into certain key players.

I cringe when I read posters here, somehow resigning themselves to 'a fact of life'. Aaron Rodgers and some larger contract than any other NFL QB's contract. That's justified by his passer rating at the expense of screwing over the majority of players on the Packer roster.

If you held onto most of the money in your marriage and gave little to your partner. You might be looking at divorce papers. Some team GM has to end the madness. I hope it's Ted Thompson.

Ted Thompson has to stand up and send a clear message to all Packer players.

I hope that he moves fron AJ Hawk to Jermichael Finley. March 27 is on Ted Thompson RE: Jermichael Finley's huge $3 million$ bonus in just ten days. After a closer assessment of the conditions concerning Tramone Williams that he reduces him as well. Look at the money that the NE Patriots just granted Aqib Talib or 1-year, $5M deal. Is Tramone Williams 2X better than Aqib Talib?

Ohh boy am I ranting!? :wink:

GO PACK GO !