PDA

View Full Version : Ashley Lelie traded to Atlanta Falcons

motife
08-22-2006, 08:41 PM
http://www.profootballtalk.com/rumormill.htm

4and12to12and4
08-22-2006, 08:44 PM
I wonder if TJ was involved in this deal. I doubt it, as Denver runs the ZBS.

FavreChild
08-22-2006, 08:53 PM
Yep, confirmed. Duckett to Skins. Three-way trade.

(The article is updated at the same link motife provided.)

FavreChild
08-22-2006, 08:54 PM
LELIE TO ATLANTA, DUCKETT TO D.C.

Per our old pal Len Pasquarelli of ESPN.com, the trade that sent Ashley Lelie from the Broncos to the Falcons was indeed a three-teamer, and that the Falcons sent former first-round running back T.J. Duckett to the Redskins.

The Broncos, in turn, get an undisclosed draft pick from the Redskins.

Over the past few years, the Redskins have happily traded away draft picks for veteran help now, and Duckett adds to the depth at the tailback position as Clinton Portis recovers from a separated shoulder.

Lelie was unhappy in Denver due in part to the fact that he feared being third fiddle to Rod Smith and Javon Walker. In Atlanta, Lelie will have to box out Michael Jenkins and Roddy White.

Lelie and Ducket both were selected in round one of the 2002 draft, and both will be unrestricted free agents after the 2006 season.

PaCkFan_n_MD
08-22-2006, 09:01 PM
I wish we would do some trading with the skins, they don't care for draft picks at all. Didn't they trade their first to denver last year just to move up and get jason cambell, and again this year didn't they give up a 2nd next yesr to move up and get a line backer. I bet they would take KGB for a 1st rounder.

gbpackfan
08-22-2006, 09:11 PM
Happy with this. No one in our division got Leslie or Duckett. That will do.

pbmax
08-22-2006, 09:23 PM
Lelie and Ducket both were selected in round one of the 2002 draft, and both will be unrestricted free agents after the 2006 season.
And just to balance board karma, let give some credit to Sherman for avoiding either of these drafting catastrophes and getting Walker. From the perspective of this trade, he looks like a sage.

b bulldog
08-22-2006, 09:28 PM
Washington makes out the best here imo, definitely if Portis is a no go on opening day. Portis, Duckett will make a great one, two punch.

Bretsky
08-22-2006, 09:41 PM
Washington makes out the best here imo, definitely if Portis is a no go on opening day. Portis, Duckett will make a great one, two punch.

Too bad we couldn't have did the same deal substituting Da Crapper in for Duckett

HarveyWallbangers
08-22-2006, 10:06 PM
I think Denver made out the best. I don't see Ladell Betts being much different than Duckett. Along with Roddy White, Lelie could stretch the field for Atlanta, but I just see another WR being wasted by the inaccurate left arm of Mike Vick.

FavreChild
08-22-2006, 10:40 PM
...I just see another WR being wasted by the inaccurate left arm of Mike Vick.

Um, yeah, pretty much. Wouldn't ATL be better off to keep exploiting that three-headed rushing attack?

woodbuck27
08-23-2006, 07:12 AM
LELIE TO ATLANTA, DUCKETT TO D.C.

Per our old pal Len Pasquarelli of ESPN.com, the trade that sent Ashley Lelie from the Broncos to the Falcons was indeed a three-teamer, and that the Falcons sent former first-round running back T.J. Duckett to the Redskins.

The Broncos, in turn, get an undisclosed draft pick from the Redskins. **

Over the past few years, the Redskins have happily traded away draft picks for veteran help now, and Duckett adds to the depth at the tailback position as Clinton Portis recovers from a separated shoulder.

Lelie was unhappy in Denver due in part to the fact that he feared being third fiddle to Rod Smith and Javon Walker. In Atlanta, Lelie will have to box out Michael Jenkins and Roddy White.

** that pick - a third rounder (Trade not Officialy announced)

Duckett, Lelie involved in three-team trade

Ashley Lelie, a 2002 first-round draft pick from Hawaii, averaged 17.9 yards per catch in four seasons with the Broncos. (Post / Andy Cross)

The Broncos were holding out for something good for Ashley Lelie. And they think they got it.

In a complicated deal involving three teams Tuesday night, the Broncos traded their disgruntled wide receiver to Atlanta. The Falcons sent running back T.J. Duckett to Washington. The Redskins, in turn, will send what is the equivalent of a high third- round pick in the 2007 draft to the Broncos.

The exact compensation Denver receives will not be determined until after the season.

There are ** four possibilities, based on the draft-value chart NFL teams use.

The scenarios are:

** The two teams exchange first-round picks, in which the Broncos would make a huge jump up the round;

** the teams flip-flop their first-rounders and the Broncos get a fourth-rounder in 2008;

** the teams flip-flop their first-rounders and the Broncos get a third- rounder next year;

** or the Broncos get a third-rounder in 2007 and a fourth-rounder in 2008.

The Broncos have made a recent habit of stockpiling picks in an effort to move up the first- round draft board.

trade may be their first attempt to climb in the first round in 2007.

The trade is not finalized.

The NFL has to approve the trade, which is complicated when it comes to Denver's and Washington's portions of the deal. Lelie and Duckett also must pass physicals. Lelie, scheduled to fly from Denver to Atlanta today, said he would not comment until the deal is official.

The deal had been in the works since Sunday.

"We're very happy. This is a win-win for all parties," said Lelie's Denver-based agent, Peter Schaffer.

"Every team involved had a lot of needs, wants and issues. But this deal benefits everyone. This deal could not have been done if it weren't for the work ethic and integrity of the Denver Broncos.

"Both Ashley and I appreciate how they handled it. They lived up to their reputation as a class organization."

Lelie did not show up for the Broncos' offseason workout program, which began in early April. Lelie later demanded a trade. In early May he said he would not return to the Broncos.

In July, he missed a mandatory minicamp and then did not report for training camp July 27.

Lelie amassed $378,000 in training camp fines.

He also was docked more than $11,000 in minicamp fines. By not attending the offseason workout program, Lelie gave up a $100,000 bonus. Denver is expected to try to recoup the fine money and a portion of Lelie's original $3.3 million signing bonus.

The total is expected to be more than $1 million.

Lelie wanted out of Denver because he sought to be a No. 1 receiver. However, with the Falcons, he will go in as the No. 3 receiver.

Former first-rounders Michael Jenkins and Roddy White are Atlanta's starters.

Lelie has one year remaining on his contract, and at this point there are no plans to rework his deal.

"Ashley has no hard feelings toward the Broncos," Schaffer said.

The Falcons offered Duckett for Lelie in May. But Denver balked.

The Broncos and Schaffer had talked to several teams in the past four months. Denver couldn't get the Houston Texans to agree to give up a fourth- rounder for Lelie during the April 29-30 draft.

The deal came together because the Falcons needed a receiver, the Redskins needed a big running back and the Broncos got their first-day pick.

There YOU go ! EVERYBODY's HAPPY !! :mrgreen:

pbmax
08-23-2006, 07:44 AM
T2 trade of Walker while injured looks good in comparison to the 3rd that the Broncos got for their healthy WR. Its amazing to me how valuable teams consider that 1st round draft pick. And makes me wonder what Bobby Beatherd was thinking all those years.

Bretsky
08-23-2006, 08:15 AM
T2 trade of Walker while injured looks good in comparison to the 3rd that the Broncos got for their healthy WR. Its amazing to me how valuable teams consider that 1st round draft pick. And makes me wonder what Bobby Beatherd was thinking all those years.

That may or may not turn out to be true; flipping the first round picks may turn out to be more value than a 2nd by itself......and they'd get another pick.

When I look at what Denver could get for Lelie, a player inferior to Javon Walker, I think TT should have got more than a 2nd.

HarveyWallbangers
08-23-2006, 08:38 AM

That may or may not turn out to be true; flipping the first round picks may turn out to be more value than a 2nd by itself......and they'd get another pick.

When I look at what Denver could get for Lelie, a player inferior to Javon Walker, I think TT should have got more than a 2nd.

I don't know. Walker was coming off a serious knee injury and had one year left on his contract, and he wouldn't have resigned here. What does looking at what the Vikings got for Daunte Culpepper make you think?

Bretsky
08-23-2006, 08:43 AM

I don't know. Walker was coming off a serious knee injury and had one year left on his contract, and he wouldn't have resigned here. What does looking at what the Vikings got for Daunte Culpepper make you think?

If I was a Viking fan I'd be quite upset over the Highway Robbery Miami pulled off.

Bretsky
08-23-2006, 08:45 AM

I'm still not convinced JW and TT couldn't have worked things out. I know what was being said, but nothing a little ego massaging and dollar signs couldn't have fixed.