pbmax
03-19-2013, 09:08 AM

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/BFqsIreCEAABOuQ.jpg:large

denverYooper
03-19-2013, 09:12 AM
Man, Trestaman looks like a nerd.

QBME
03-19-2013, 09:26 AM
Doesn't appear that the Rooney Rule has produced significant results.

denverYooper
03-19-2013, 09:30 AM
I think that blue sport coat is M3's only fancy attire.

pbmax
03-19-2013, 09:49 AM
That picture is visual proof of the skills necessary to play QB in the NFL. If you can see over the top of Pete Carroll's head, you will have at least an 8 year career.

Pugger
03-19-2013, 11:27 AM
Where did you find this photo?

smuggler
03-19-2013, 02:58 PM
What is the actual intent of the Rooney Rule? 12% of men in the country are black. Seems like it's the OTHER minorities that are under-represented - Sub-asian and Hispanic. Those are ethnicities that typically aren't as invested in football culutre.

I hear people say that since a higher percentage of players are black, there should be a higher percentage of coaches that are black. However, since athleticism has nothing to do with the ability to coach or manage (look no further than McCarthy for a great example), why would that make a difference? I think the thing that people forget is that the vast majority of people involved with football are not minorities. True, it changes when the level of competition changes, but remember the pyrimid rule.

If the coaching pyramid goes YOUTH > HS > COLLEGE > SEMI-PRO > PRO then just look at the total number of coaches, see how many are minority, and compare that percentage to the NFL's minority percentage.

It might be a little low, but I don't think it's that far off the national average. In short, whether due to or in spite of the Rooney Rule, the league is in good shape WRT minority hirings.

KYPack
03-19-2013, 03:21 PM
Two coaches are missing.

If one is Rob Chudzinski, how will we ever know?

run pMc
03-19-2013, 03:29 PM
I had to do a double take -- Mike Shanahan looks like Joe Paterno to me.
At least I think that's Shanahan.

pbmax
03-19-2013, 03:35 PM
Where did you find this photo?

The link was retweeted by one of the writers I follow. But it originated with the NFL PR guys.

pbmax
03-19-2013, 03:48 PM
What is the actual intent of the Rooney Rule? 12% of men in the country are black. Seems like it's the OTHER minorities that are under-represented - Sub-asian and Hispanic. Those are ethnicities that typically aren't as invested in football culutre.

I hear people say that since a higher percentage of players are black, there should be a higher percentage of coaches that are black. However, since athleticism has nothing to do with the ability to coach or manage (look no further than McCarthy for a great example), why would that make a difference? I think the thing that people forget is that the vast majority of people involved with football are not minorities. True, it changes when the level of competition changes, but remember the pyrimid rule.

If the coaching pyramid goes YOUTH > HS > COLLEGE > SEMI-PRO > PRO then just look at the total number of coaches, see how many are minority, and compare that percentage to the NFL's minority percentage.

It might be a little low, but I don't think it's that far off the national average. In short, whether due to or in spite of the Rooney Rule, the league is in good shape WRT minority hirings.

You ask fair questions, and no doubt Hispanics would agree (and cheer Rivera). But we need to nail down the applicant pool to do a realistic comparison. The ranks of coaches are almost universally (though not 100%) from people who have played the sport. And I would guess the median and average of that participation level is somewhere between high school and college. And I doubt that pool looks exactly like the national population. And I am not sure how high the Asian American participation levels are.

So its not a question of athleticism, its a question of participation and exposure to the sport. McCarthy played TE in college. Reid was a QB in college. They took coaching gigs when their playing days were over. So youth sports plays a role, but colleges serve as the main training ground.

The goal should be to expand the pool of candidates considered by owners. I am less concerned about the numbers than by the fact that all the openings this year had Lovie Smith as their token interview. That isn't just an insult, its plain dumb. The Rooney rule doesn't force teams to be smart but it also doesn't force them to interview only African-Americans (or retreads) to meet the requirement.

They need to cast a wider net for the best coaches. And that includes HCs hiring their buddies for jobs. Coordinator hires should face similar scrutiny. Not because its racially just, but because its a good business decision.

One of the best coaches has one of the more untraditional backgrounds. Belicheck played college ball at Wesleyan. But he also played lacrosse (captain) and squash and graduated with a degree in economics. I sure hope wiki is not lying to me. I was looking for the economics degree but am even more impressed by the squash career.

woodbuck27
03-19-2013, 04:19 PM
Man, Trestaman looks like a nerd.

Marc Trestman, looks serious in that Bears golf shirt and count on this. He will be.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Marc_Trestman

smuggler
03-19-2013, 04:22 PM
That's true. However, unlike typical businesses, the NFL teams are not competing against eachother in a business sense. They are more like partners than adversaries when it comes to accounting. Due to this fact, although a team will struggle on the field if they continually make foolish hiring decisions, they won't necessarily go under because of them.

That's part of the argument for keeping the Rooney Rule.

Guiness
03-19-2013, 05:19 PM
Not many guys I can pick out - can anyone put names to some of them?

Who is the guy on the far right in the front row?

pbmax
03-19-2013, 05:47 PM

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/BFqsIreCEAABOuQ.jpg:large

Jo Harbaugh, M3, Ji Harbaugh, My Green Grocer, Joe Phibin, Mr. Clean, Yul Brenner, My Accountant, Mike Tomlin, Scoutmaster, Sexual Predator (Jason Garrett)
>>>>>>>>>> Pete Carroll, Chip Kelly, Dennis Allen (Guin), Leslie Frazier, Andy Reid, Robert Redford*, Mike Munchak, Gary Kubiak, Marc Trestman
>>>>>>>>>Ron Rivera, Chuck Pagano, The Schwartz, Jeff Fisher, Tom Coughlin, John Fox, Leslie Frazier, Rex Ryan, Mike Smith, Mike "Rat Face" Shanahan

* scratch that, its that guy from that show about a town that gets cut off from the rest of the country and it feels like there's been a nuclear holocaust but no one knows for sure.

Guiness
03-19-2013, 06:04 PM
Impressive pb! The only one I can add is that I think that isn't Steve from Blues Clues, or even long lost (newly created?) brother Joe, but instead cousin but Dennis Allen!

pbmax
03-19-2013, 07:15 PM
One of those bald guys has to be Chan Gailey. Also missing are Rob Chudzinski (I think he looks like My Accountant). Gus Bradley (Jax) also is a baldy.

The guy I had tabbed as a character actor is probably Mike McCoy of the Chargers. Bruce Arians is there maybe and he doesn't have much hair.

KYPack
03-19-2013, 08:44 PM
One of those bald guys has to be Chan Gailey. Also missing are Rob Chudzinski (I think he looks like My Accountant). Gus Bradley (Jax) also is a baldy.

The guy I had tabbed as a character actor is probably Mike McCoy of the Chargers. Bruce Arians is there maybe and he doesn't have much hair.

Gailey got shitcanned.

REALLY missing were Belichick and Sean Payton.

"Man who most resembles John McCain" award is tossup btw Coughlin, Fox, & Smith.

Fish looks like he had more than one shot at the drinkin' the nite before.

woodbuck27
03-19-2013, 09:09 PM
I'm impresssed that M3 is hanging near the Harbaugh boys.

I mean .... look how he's dressed. Obviously 'wired' to get all he can get.