PDA

View Full Version : Good News: Packers Might Have Enough Cash To Pay Rodgers

pbmax
03-19-2013, 10:03 AM
Notebook: We can afford to pay Rodgers plenty, Murphy says

Above is headline from GreenBayPressGazette. In this case, the actual quote doesn't stray from the headline much. The reporter isn't helping either.

Mark Murphy is the Lou Holtz of CEOs. $200 million dollar "rainy day" fund, $20 mil net profit, team friendly CBA.

We should be able to squeeze out enough money for the QB ...

unless he wants receivers too.

http://www.packersnews.com/article/20130318/PKR01/303180389/Green-Bay-Packers-can-afford-to-pay-Aaron-Rodgers-plenty-president-Mark-Murphy-says

pbmax
04-23-2013, 01:01 PM
Team cap numbers via the NFL:

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2013/04/23/league-union-calculations-of-cap-space-differ-as-usual/

Packers at $15.3 million

3irty1
04-23-2013, 01:34 PM
I've always wondered this and I think you or Patler could probably answer.

Is there a maximum amount of years you can sign a player for?

For example, if I were Ted could I do this:
Sign Aaron Rodgers to a 100 year contract for the vet minimum with a 288M dollar bonus? That is like paying Rodgers 20 Million dollars per year, adjusted for long-term inflation until he is 40. It costs the team 288M dollars right now but the bonus is spread over 100 years making Rodgers count for roughly 3M in salary cap. Hell make it 1000 years. Obviously there are tons of financial reasons not to pull this kind of stunt, but is it even an option?

smuggler
04-23-2013, 01:41 PM
The reason you don't do that is because when he retires, you have all that money accelerate on you and you can't sign any players and your team dies.

You could do a 10 year deal, but Rodgers would want all the money if you did that.

3irty1
04-23-2013, 01:46 PM
The reason you don't do that is because when he retires, you have all that money accelerate on you and you can't sign any players and your team dies.

You could do a 10 year deal, but Rodgers would want all the money if you did that.

Why does he have to retire?

smuggler
04-23-2013, 01:48 PM
You can save him on the 53-man roster for as long as you want, he doesn't have to play. It just costs you a roster spot.

pbmax
04-23-2013, 01:51 PM
My suspicion is that the League and Goodell would veto it as an obvious cap avoidance technique. All contracts need League approval. However, somewhere less than 1000 years and more than 1 is a middle ground that might be fertile.

I do not know, but suspect that once Rodgers would retire from such a contract, he would be placed on the reserve/retired list and one of two things would happen. His contract number would continue to be carried. Or two, the reserve/retired list would provide the Packers with temporary but ultimately limited relief that would last a season or two at most.

Alternatively, there might be a maximum number of years in the CBA. Would seem to be longer than 10 since Favre signed for 10 in 2001.

Guiness
04-23-2013, 02:02 PM
Is there some limitation to the maximum allowable length of a contract based on the years remaining in the CBA? I seem to remember one when the last CBA was winding down, and it was affecting how many years teams could spread the signing bonus over.

As far as the original 'article' - I guess you can turn a sound bite into a story.

pbmax
04-23-2013, 02:24 PM
Is there some limitation to the maximum allowable length of a contract based on the years remaining in the CBA? I seem to remember one when the last CBA was winding down, and it was affecting how many years teams could spread the signing bonus over.

As far as the original 'article' - I guess you can turn a sound bite into a story.

Excellent point. There is a maximum number of years you can allocate a signing bonus, or other guaranteed bonus, in the contract for cap purposes. I think it was 6 years.

red
04-23-2013, 04:57 PM
Excellent point. There is a maximum number of years you can allocate a signing bonus, or other guaranteed bonus, in the contract for cap purposes. I think it was 6 years.

i think its 5 years now that you can spread the signing bonus over

plus you don't give a guy that much because if he suffers a season ending injury right off the bat, you're fucked

now, if it was me, and someone handed me a quarter billion dollars. i would politely say thanks. then as soon as the cash is in the bank, i would tell the world to blow me. buy my own fucking island in the middle of the ocean. and live out the rest of my life not having to ever deal with any of you assholes

the only people i would ever have to see or deal with would be my own personal harem of whores that i would bring in from all parts of the globe

woodbuck27
04-24-2013, 03:28 PM
i think its 5 years now that you can spread the signing bonus over

plus you don't give a guy that much because if he suffers a season ending injury right off the bat, you're fucked

now, if it was me, and someone handed me a quarter billion dollars. i would politely say thanks. then as soon as the cash is in the bank, i would tell the world to blow me. buy my own fucking island in the middle of the ocean. and live out the rest of my life not having to ever deal with any of you assholes

the only people i would ever have to see or deal with would be my own personal harem of whores that i would bring in from all parts of the globe

Yea sure red. I'd bet that you'd ensure that Island has internet access.