PDA

View Full Version : Packers to reduce play volume?

denverYooper
03-19-2013, 11:02 AM
2 articles lately seem to indicate that M3 is thinking a lot this offseason about the play volume that the team installs.

First, this one from yesterday about Finley, and reducing Finley's mental load:

http://espn.go.com/blog/nfcnorth/post/_/id/54404/mccarthy-making-13-plans-for-finley

Referring to one of his core coaching philosophies -- "less volume, more creativity" -- McCarthy suggested it might be time to unburden Finley from a schematic perspective.

"I don't really want to get into that right now because I haven't shared it with the team," McCarthy said. "[But] you have to watch that you don't do too much. That's an easy trap to fall into in this league."

Then this one today, about reducing injuries. where M3 indicates again that volume might be hurting the team:

http://www.jsonline.com/sports/packers/reframing-big-picture-ha970sl-198897381.html

"Did those loaded reps really hurt at the start of the season?" McCarthy said. "Believe me, those are the things I'm looking at. You have targets you have to hit. Do you cut back in your volume and scheme, which we've done a really good job of from prior experiences?

"What are you training and what are you using. That's always the study that is important when you look back at the end of the season and look at your calls during the season."

Pugger
03-19-2013, 11:12 AM
Sometimes you can get too cute for your own good. It is probably better to have fewer plays and strive to execute these plays to perfection.

red
03-19-2013, 04:58 PM
might i suggest getting rid of the packer sweep

that thing hasn't worked since the 60's

Joemailman
03-19-2013, 07:38 PM
Probably a good idea to streamline things. Fewer routes for Finley to learn correctly.

woodbuck27
03-19-2013, 09:17 PM
might i suggest getting rid of the packer sweep

that thing hasn't worked since the 60's

Yea sure but we havn't had too many RT's / RG's and a RB to make that work.

Besides... every defensive co-ordinator ensures that he's got that one covered on us. He's never sure when Vince Lombardi's ghost might appear on the sideline.