PDA

View Full Version : Our Strength/Training Staff

NewsBruin
03-20-2013, 10:43 AM
"To lose one parent, Mr. Worthing, may be regarded as a misfortune; to lose both looks like carelessness."

I wanted to ask your opinion/knowledge of our training, strength, and medical staff versus the rest of the league.

In a few other threads, we've mentioned "the injury bug" or bad luck with IR'd players compared to other teams, but how much credit/blame should go to our medical staff? In an SI.com column, I think Peter King, discussing Jennings' signing, it mentioned the Vikings as having an excellent training staff. That hurts to read, especially if the hernia diagnosis/treatment put a sour taste in Jennings' mouth.

Players will get hurt playing football. I think by the end of the third reg-season game, the only people who aren't injured are kickers and third-string QBs. And it's not always bad to keep players out or shut them down, if the alternative is to keep them numb on Toradol until they pull an RGIII on the field and risk career-limiting injury.

So, while I understand injury is luck-of-the-draw and can't always be measured in sheer games not missed, I think we're hoping too much for better luck and not discussing how much the support staff plays in this aspect. MM says training and treatment methods will be addressed every offseason, but I remain skeptical.

George Cumby
03-20-2013, 10:47 AM
I agree, something seems to be amiss but lacking the data to make an informed opinion, I'll just say "fire slocum!".

denverYooper
03-20-2013, 11:03 AM
I agree, something seems to be amiss but lacking the data to make an informed opinion, I'll just say "fire slocum!".

It's Wednesday, after all!

denverYooper
03-20-2013, 11:12 AM
Fair question, but it's hard to say at this time whether or not they're just a victim of small sample size. 2/3 years of heavy injury under Lovatt occurring by random chance might be improbable but is not impossible.

M3 has indicated that they are doing a lot of study this offseason wrt the number of injuries. I'd bet they have already figured out exactly what the probability of such occurrence is.

red
03-20-2013, 12:25 PM
i was saying this quite a bit during the season

jennings injury was a clusterfuck

and woodsons is another big question i have. he was healthy and working out/ready to go for almost a month before the trainers finally let him play. he was getting frustrated because he had no clue why he wasn't being allowed to play

almost every injury ended up taking at least twice as long to heal as the original diagnosis said they would

either the training staff is completely clueless as to wht they were doing, or they are waaaaay too cautious. like newsbruin said, its football, guys are gonna get boo-boos

pbmax
03-20-2013, 12:34 PM
i was saying this quite a bit during the season

jennings injury was a clusterfuck

This is the one that makes perfect sense now. He was injured and had a hernia. Was told you will not hurt yourself more if you can play through it but to heal completely you need surgery and it would be 6-8 weeks to recover. Its a salary drive year and he doesn't want to do that. Chooses rehab. Doesn't work. Two weeks later, surgery and a 6-8 week recovery.

McCarthy did say they are looking at letting players see outside experts they work with (actually bringing them in it sounded like) and specifically mentioned soft tissue injuries.