PDA

View Full Version : Sanders approves Woodson signing

PaCkFan_n_MD
08-22-2006, 09:30 PM
Sanders approves Woodson signing
Posted: Aug. 22, 2006

Deion Sanders says the Green Bay Packers acquired an "excellent" cornerback when they signed unrestricted free agent Charles Woodson from the Oakland Raiders during the off-season.

Even though Sanders does not consider Woodson one of the elite cornerbacks in the league, he said the Packers upgraded their defense by adding him to their roster.

Sanders made his comments during a conference call Tuesday afternoon when it was announced that Sanders had joined the NFL Network as a studio analyst.

Sanders, who turned 39 on Aug. 9, will offer commentary on Sunday nights during the season and during the network's studio show before the eight games it will carry on Thursdays and Saturdays this season.

In his 14 seasons in the National Football League, Sanders was chosen to play in the Pro Bowl eight times. He holds the National Football League record for career return touchdowns (18), after a kickoff, punt, interception or fumble.

Woodson, who turns 30 on Oct. 7, played eight seasons with Oakland. Last year he played in only six games because of a broken right leg.

"I don't think Charles Woodson presents the fear factor that he once did," Sanders said. "I think Charles Woodson is an excellent cornerback, but he is going to make a great safety in the near future."

Sanders was asked to explain what he meant by the "fear factor" designation.

"When a quarterback drops back and looks over the defense," Sanders said. "You look over to find a Champ Bailey. You look over to find where DeAngelo Hall is. I don't know if they are looking out there to see where Charles Woodson lines up right now."

Bailey plays for the Denver Broncos and Hall for the Atlanta Falcons. Sanders said with the addition of Woodson, the Packers now "are formidable" at cornerback.

"That could give them a tremendous tandem," Sanders said. "But no, I don't look at him as presenting the same fear factor that he once held. But he is still a great athlete and Green Bay could use him dearly. Their problems are truly not on the defensive side."

Sanders was asked what he thought of Bryant Gumbel's commentary during HBO's "Real Sports," during which Gumbel said NFL players union chief Gene Upshaw was on a "leash" and was a "personal pet" of Commissioner Paul Tagliabue, whose tenure ends Aug. 31.

Tagliabue, who said Gumbel's comments were "uninformed" and "inexcusable," suggested that Gumbel might be replaced as an announcer on the NFL Network.

"I'd like to speak on Gene's behalf," Sanders said. "I think he has done a tremendous job."

Sanders said salaries and signing bonuses for players had increased significantly under Upshaw's tenure.

"I don't know what personal vendetta Bryant Gumbel has against Gene, but I think it should be taken care of personally, if it is personal," Sanders said.

"It's just ignorance and I don't think Mr. Gumbel handled it correctly."

FavreChild
08-22-2006, 09:34 PM
Whew!!! Thank goodness for Deion's approval.

Interesting read, thanks for posting. At least we know that we won't get any "who dat dude?" from Deion when speaking of our secondary on NFL Network. :wink:

PaCkFan_n_MD
08-22-2006, 09:40 PM
No problrem. I thought it was interesting also..........

PTPaQ
08-23-2006, 03:02 AM
Al & Chuck finna have the AIR on lock!!!!!