PDA

View Full Version : Comp Picks

Fritz
03-24-2013, 03:14 PM
So the Packers got a fifth for Flynn, who received a pretty large contract but did not get the starting gig in Seattle.

Yet the Lions received a fourth round compensation pick for Eric Wright, a cornerback, who did not get a huge contract.

Apparently the secret formula does not account for the importance of the position the player is playing. Shouldn't a nicely-paid albeit backup QB get you more than a cornerback who doesn't even have a big contract?

I wonder sometimes if the league keeps the formula so secret because a part of that formula includes factoring in how shitty the organization losing the player has been. The shittier the organization, the higher the comp pick.

Thoughts?

pbmax
03-24-2013, 03:37 PM
So the Packers got a fifth for Flynn, who received a pretty large contract but did not get the starting gig in Seattle.

Yet the Lions received a fourth round compensation pick for Eric Wright, a cornerback, who did not get a huge contract.

Apparently the secret formula does not account for the importance of the position the player is playing. Shouldn't a nicely-paid albeit backup QB get you more than a cornerback who doesn't even have a big contract?

I wonder sometimes if the league keeps the formula so secret because a part of that formula includes factoring in how shitty the organization losing the player has been. The shittier the organization, the higher the comp pick.

Thoughts?

There is a playing time component to the level of the pick.

woodbuck27
03-24-2013, 03:58 PM
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/National_Football_League_Draft#Compensatory_picks

Compensatory picks

"In addition to the 32 selections in each of the seven rounds, a total of 32 compensatory picks are awarded to teams that have lost more or better compensatory free agents than they signed in the previous year.[58] Teams that gain and lose the same number of players but lose higher-valued players than they gain also can be awarded a pick, but only in the seventh round, after the other compensatory picks. Compensatory picks cannot be traded, and the placement of the picks is determined by a proprietary formula based on the player's salary, playing time, and postseason honors with his new team, with salary being the primary factor.

So, for example, a team that lost a linebacker who signed for $2.5 million per year in free agency might get a sixth-round compensatory pick, while a team that lost a wide receiver who signed for $5 million per year might receive a fourth-round pick.

All compensatory picks are awarded at the ends of Rounds 3 through 7"

Comment woodbuck27:

When that player doesn't see much playing time. That players salary is likely considered moot.

red
03-24-2013, 08:10 PM
there is no rhyme or reason as to how the nfl figures out the comp picks

didn't one team this year receive more comp picks then players lost?

i know we'd all like to figure out how they figure it out, but imo, its so mind numbingly preposterous, that its really not worth wasting any of our time trying to figure it out

Guiness
03-24-2013, 10:23 PM
there is no rhyme or reason as to how the nfl figures out the comp picks

didn't one team this year receive more comp picks then players lost?

i know we'd all like to figure out how they figure it out, but imo, its so mind numbingly preposterous, that its really not worth wasting any of our time trying to figure it out

Three, actually. NYG, Colts and SF.

smuggler
03-25-2013, 12:30 AM
No mystery there. The Giants are Goodell's favorite team. :(

packrulz
03-25-2013, 04:50 AM
The Packers lost Flynn, (failed to win the starting job), Wells, (injured), Lawrence Guy, (Colts), Vic So'oto, ('Skins), Brandian Ross, (Raiders), Anthony Levine, (Ravens) and Charlie Peprah, (Cowboys), so I guess the lack of playing time is the reason we only got a 5th round pick. http://www.kffl.com/static/nfl/features/freeagents/fa.php?option=By+Team&y=2012

Patler
03-25-2013, 07:05 AM
The Packers lost Flynn, (failed to win the starting job), Wells, (injured), Lawrence Guy, (Colts), Vic So'oto, ('Skins), Brandian Ross, (Raiders), Anthony Levine, (Ravens) and Charlie Peprah, (Cowboys), so I guess the lack of playing time is the reason we only got a 5th round pick. http://www.kffl.com/static/nfl/features/freeagents/fa.php?option=By+Team&y=2012

Players who were under contract and released are not considered for draft pick compensation. That eliminates everyone on your list except Flynn and Wells. Only players whose contracts expired are considered.

If Woodson signs with someone, he will not be included in the determination next year, just as other notable losses like Sharper, Wahle and Barnett were not considered in the past.

Smeefers
03-25-2013, 07:30 AM
Players who were under contract and released are not considered for draft pick compensation. That eliminates everyone on your list except Flynn and Wells. Only players whose contracts expired are considered.

If Woodson signs with someone, he will not be included in the determination next year, just as other notable losses like Sharper, Wahle and Barnett were not considered in the past.

Party pooper.

packrulz
03-25-2013, 05:50 PM

Bummer.

Fritz
03-27-2013, 06:06 AM

That's about all that's clear about the comp picks. Here's a line from this morning's JSO about Eric Wright, the cornerback for which the Lions received a fourth round pick after losing him to Tampa Bay: "And after signing a five-year, $38 million deal with Tampa Bay, cornerback Eric Wright was suspended for using performance-enhancing drugs, which wiped out his 2013 guaranteed money. The Bucs now could release the disappointing cornerback without a penalty."

Okay, Flynn didn't win the starting job. But he didn't get suspended. How is Wright worth a fourth round pick?

It's all so arbitrary. I don't know why the NFL isn't transparent about this process and the formula.

pbmax
03-27-2013, 08:12 AM
That's about all that's clear about the comp picks. Here's a line from this morning's JSO about Eric Wright, the cornerback for which the Lions received a fourth round pick after losing him to Tampa Bay: "And after signing a five-year, $38 million deal with Tampa Bay, cornerback Eric Wright was suspended for using performance-enhancing drugs, which wiped out his 2013 guaranteed money. The Bucs now could release the disappointing cornerback without a penalty."

Okay, Flynn didn't win the starting job. But he didn't get suspended. How is Wright worth a fourth round pick?

It's all so arbitrary. I don't know why the NFL isn't transparent about this process and the formula.

That is a good sized contract. I wonder if the forfeited bonus played into it at all?

Fritz
03-27-2013, 04:40 PM
I do not understand how a guy who got suspended rated a higher comp pick than a somewhat highly sought-after QB.

Patler
03-27-2013, 07:47 PM

Wolf openly expressed bewilderment at the picks he was awarded several times in his later years.

Fritz
03-28-2013, 12:18 PM
And of course this kind of murkiness spawns lots of conspiracy theories. Thus, my supposition that perhaps the NFL tries to give lousy organizations (or favored organizations) a boost by awarding more or better picks.

I am consoled only in that the Lions will likely trade up into the end of the first round, using their fourth round pick (thinking they still have a fourth rounder in the comp pick), and will pick a JAG - no, wait, a talented player with a troubled character - in both instances.

BTW, one of Detroit's backups just got arrested yesterday.

Do they get a comp pick for that, too???

Guiness
03-28-2013, 03:09 PM
BTW, one of Detroit's backups just got arrested yesterday.

Do they get a comp pick for that, too???

The write-up on that at PFT didn't pass the sniff test, so I went looking a bit further. He told their daughter not to grow up a bitch like her mother, she lunged at him and he straight armed her! They were both arrested and charged, he got booted out of the house, they both got non-contact orders. Pretty standard stuff as far as domestics go!

Fritz
03-29-2013, 06:40 AM
Sounds like you deal with this stuff pretty often. Or else you read about the Lions a lot.