PDA

View Full Version : The top 10 Green Bay Packers 1st round Draft selections

woodbuck27
03-24-2013, 05:52 PM
Comment woodbuck27:

I'll challenge you. Try to pick just one of this authors top three 1st round picks before you read his choices. I'll bet your surprized.

http://lombardiave.com/2013/03/23/the-top-10-green-bay-packers-1st-round-draft-selections/

The top 10 Green Bay Packers 1st round Draft selections

by Raymond Rivard ... SI.Com ... Lombardi Ave.

Mar 23rd, 2013 at 8:04 pm

hoosier
03-24-2013, 07:48 PM
#s 1 and 3 are pretty uncontroversial as top 5 first-round picks in Packer history. The author ranks Rodgers relatively low because "his career is still young and he has much yet to do." Well, yeah, but he has already accomplished more than some of the guys ranked ahead of him. So he is basically penalizing ARod for not having retired yet. Got it.

Can somebody please explain to me on what grounds Paul Hornung qualifies an all time great? He was a jack of all trades who, at least stastically, didn't do anything exceptionally well (except maybe score TDs in the goal line offense). Is his HOFness the product of having played on great teams?

King Friday
03-24-2013, 08:02 PM
Can somebody please explain to me on what grounds Paul Hornung qualifies an all time great? He was a jack of all trades who, at least stastically, didn't do anything exceptionally well (except maybe score TDs in the goal line offense). Is his HOFness the product of having played on great teams?

62 TDs in 104 career games. It is difficult to claim he didn't do anything statistically...when the reason his stats weren't astronomic was due to the fact he shared carries with another HOF caliber RB. You know...the exact opposite of the RB situation we have today.

Joemailman
03-24-2013, 08:15 PM
Fred Carr should be in there over Ezra Johnson.

red
03-24-2013, 08:21 PM
that list seems about right to me

but i would have to recommend that the guys drafted during the 70's and early 80's should be disqualified because one could argue that the packers weren't a pro caliber team during those years

hoosier
03-24-2013, 08:59 PM
62 TDs in 104 career games. It is difficult to claim he didn't do anything statistically...when the reason his stats weren't astronomic was due to the fact he shared carries with another HOF caliber RB. You know...the exact opposite of the RB situation we have today.

I understand that he split the carries with Taylor, but if you compare the two Taylor's numbers across the board are just so much better. In general the criteria for HOF consideration is that a players was consistently the best or among the very top at his position during his playing years. Judging from stats alone Taylor was clearly that, but Hornung? His TD totals were good but he only once finished in the top ten in total rushing yardage (and that was 8th), and his per carry averages were not especially impressive. Marcus Allen is the one RB I can think of who was a consensus HOF player but didn't put up astronomical numbers (except, again, TDs), and whose greatness was based on longevity and less tangible stuff, John Madden stuff like "when you need a yard Marcus Allen will always find a way to get it for you". But Hornung played before the days when TV was producing stars. Where does his greatness lie?

BZnDallas
03-24-2013, 10:54 PM
after living in Dallas for the last 20+ years and having to hear the arrogance of cowboy fans and players (current and former), it brings me much joy and warmth, kinda like that first shot of whiskey after a long day, to read this ”I’m the only man with a Dallas Cowboys Super Bowl ring who doesn’t wear it. I’m a Green Bay Packer.” from ole Herb

Patler
03-25-2013, 06:52 AM
Once again, an author casts suspicion on the quality of his article by an early, and rather obvious factual error:

You might notice that players such as Brett Favre and Reggie White are not on this list … yes, they were first round selections, but not by the Packers.

Favre was not a first round pick. He was drafted in the second round. He cost the Packers a first round pick in the trade, but was not a first round pick himself.

Willie Buchanon, Fred Carr & John Anderson deserve consideration over some on the list.

Smeefers
03-25-2013, 07:24 AM
I understand that he split the carries with Taylor, but if you compare the two Taylor's numbers across the board are just so much better. In general the criteria for HOF consideration is that a players was consistently the best or among the very top at his position during his playing years. Judging from stats alone Taylor was clearly that, but Hornung? His TD totals were good but he only once finished in the top ten in total rushing yardage (and that was 8th), and his per carry averages were not especially impressive. Marcus Allen is the one RB I can think of who was a consensus HOF player but didn't put up astronomical numbers (except, again, TDs), and whose greatness was based on longevity and less tangible stuff, John Madden stuff like "when you need a yard Marcus Allen will always find a way to get it for you". But Hornung played before the days when TV was producing stars. Where does his greatness lie?

It's a shame the golden boy's highlights aren't readily available online. You can see a lot though if you go the Lambeau Field. I don't know if that's an easy task for you or not, but I would spend hours just looking at the highlights they have playing all around.

I can tell you why him being a Jack of all trades is so impressive. Name another one. Tell me a guy who could be a running back, blocker, quarter back and wide receiver. Not only be one, but be exceptionally good at all 4 aspects. Oh, and he kicked field goals too. I never watched him play, so when you initially asked I wasn't sure, but then I got thinking. When My dad talks about the packers of yor, he always brings up Hornung first. My mom giggles like a school girl when she tells the story of talking to him on the telephone. Back then, making it to the hall wasn't all about numbers. Case in point, Gale Sayers. Ehh, maybe that's not a good answer, but it's the only one I got.

Patler
03-25-2013, 07:33 AM
I can tell you why him being a Jack of all trades is so impressive. Name another one. Tell me a guy who could be a running back, blocker, quarter back and wide receiver. Not only be one, but be exceptionally good at all 4 aspects. Oh, and he kicked field goals too.

I can think of only one - Frank Gifford. Didn't kick as much as Hornung did, but was able to. It was said that Gifford was the blueprint for Lombardi's use of Hornung.

Smeefers
03-25-2013, 07:41 AM
I can think of only one - Frank Gifford. Didn't kick as much as Hornung did, but was able to. It was said that Gifford was the blueprint for Lombardi's use of Hornung.

See! PATLER can only think of ONE. And he was a hall of famer too.

Me, I had no idea that Frank Gifford played football before he was a broadcaster.

woodbuck27
03-25-2013, 10:43 AM
Once again, an author casts suspicion on the quality of his article by an early, and rather obvious factual error:

Favre was not a first round pick. He was drafted in the second round. He cost the Packers a first round pick in the trade, but was not a first round pick himself.

Willie Buchanon, Fred Carr & John Anderson deserve consideration over some on the list.

"Once again, an author casts suspicion on the quality of his article by an early, and rather obvious factual error." Patler

Is a BRAVO in order Patler? Why did you feel the need to discredit the author and article? You jump on the the credibility of author/effort. I cannot help but wonder how you view the efforts of posters here?

In your swipe at the author and the credibility of the article. You took exception with 'the facts' in his sentence as to why Brett Favre and Reggie White were omitted from consideration. That error simply couldn't dangle in front of you?

Yes it was "an early, and rather obvious factual error", and so what in terms of another top ten list.

A majority of Packer fans know that Brett Favre was a second round selection by the Atlanta Falcons. Favre was selected 33rd overall in the 1991 draft.

You neglected to inform the forum that Reggie White was drafted by the Philadelphia Eagles in 1984. That he was the 4th pick out of the USFL in 'the Supplemental', not regular NFL draft.

We're entering another slow time of the 'off season'; almost two weeks into free agency. I placed that article on the forum as a discussion point for some of us that arn't 'all knowing'. To merely try to stimulate a conversation.

Because the article has an error or two doesn't mean it isn't worthy in terms of it's intent or content.

GO PACKERS !

pbmax
03-25-2013, 11:58 AM
Wasn't Hornung used as a single-wing whatever the QB is in that offense before Lombardi told him he would be the halfback?

Zool
03-25-2013, 01:07 PM
"Once again, an author casts suspicion on the quality of his article by an early, and rather obvious factual error." Patler

Is a BRAVO in order Patler? Why did you feel the need to discredit the author and article? You jump on the the credibility of author/effort. I cannot help but wonder how you view the efforts of posters here?

In your swipe at the author and the credibility of the article. You took exception with 'the facts' in his sentence as to why Brett Favre and Reggie White were omitted from consideration. That error simply couldn't dangle in front of you?

Yes it was "an early, and rather obvious factual error", and so what in terms of another top ten list.

A majority of Packer fans know that Brett Favre was a second round selection by the Atlanta Falcons. Favre was selected 33rd overall in the 1991 draft.

You neglected to inform the forum that Reggie White was drafted by the Philadelphia Eagles in 1984. That he was the 4th pick out of the USFL in 'the Supplemental', not regular NFL draft.

We're entering another slow time of the 'off season'; almost two weeks into free agency. I placed that article on the forum as a discussion point for some of us that arn't 'all knowing'. To merely try to stimulate a conversation.

Because the article has an error or two doesn't mean it isn't worthy in terms of it's intent or content.

GO PACKERS !

Because there used to be such a thing as journalistic integrity and fact checking. Even a slightly above casual fan of the Packers knows Favre wasn't drafted by GB. The so-called reporting in sports of late are awful at best.

woodbuck27
03-25-2013, 01:52 PM
Because there used to be such a thing as journalistic integrity and fact checking. Even a slightly above casual fan of the Packers knows Favre wasn't drafted by GB. The so-called reporting in sports of late are awful at best.

I won't argue that. Of course that error was easy to spot (maybe?) for most Packer fans. See my post.

My point is that because of that error. Which by the way is moot in terms of the authors list. The article in terms of the authors overall effort shouldn't be poo-poo'd.

It's another 'top ten list' merely open for improvement via discussion.

Noone here at Packerrats has to agree with it after some study. Without it or other articles what do we have to discuss or form consensus on?

Guiness
03-25-2013, 02:00 PM
I won't argue that. Of course that error was easy to spot (maybe?) for most Packer fans. See my post.

My point is that because of that error. Which by the way is moot in terms of the authors list. The article in terms of the authors overall effort shouldn't be poo-poo'd.

It's another 'top ten list' merely open for improvement via discussion.

Noone here at Packerrats has to agree with it after some study. Without it or other articles what do we have to discuss or form consensus on?

Not moot because the article loses a lot of credibility if it is obvious that there was no fact checking done. That one is easily picked out...but how many other inaccuracies are there? The result is that the entire article is not taken seriously...not that anything inspired by a David Letterman skit ever should be!

woodbuck27
03-25-2013, 02:08 PM
Not moot because the article loses a lot of credibility if it is obvious that there was no fact checking done. That one is easily picked out...but how many other inaccuracies are there? The result is that the entire article is not taken seriously...not that anything inspired by a David Letterman skit ever should be!

I have 'in fact' checked out the facts of the article and overall they are solid. I maintain that the error of which we are discussing is moot as Brett Favre isn't eligible for the list. The fact of his draft staus is therefore irrelevant and being human I cut the author a break in terms of his error.

Did the author nail down the correct top ten. I have a different perspective on that.

Therein lies the exercise.

KYPack
03-25-2013, 03:15 PM
Wasn't Hornung used as a single-wing whatever the QB is in that offense before Lombardi told him he would be the halfback?

Paul is a bona fide NFL HOFer. The people that denigrate his HOF status are youngbloods who simply look at the numbers and didn't see him play. Deacon Jones, a HOF DE for the Rams bad raps a lot of players. I just saw a segment on NFL network that named Paul the most versatile player in NFL history (Sammy Baugh was #2). Deacon lauded Paul for his running, passing, kicking, pass catching and blocking ability. Deac stated that a big reason for Taylor's success was that Hornung was such a punishing blocker. HOF players from that time all accept Paul as a legit superstar fully deserving of Canton.

Paul could do things that I've yet to see duplicated by contemporary players. Nobody could run the option play like Paul. Now everybody is jerking off over the read option. The famous Lombardi sweep was the read option of that time. Paul could run it to perfection. if the defense came up too rapidly, Paul could fire a perfectly aimed spiral, right on rhythmn to a cutting receiver. RB's tossing the option now look like they are hurling grenades. Hornung threw like a passer. Inside the 20, Paul was also lethal. He would time blocks perfectly and make really quick wide cuts to get in the end zone. In '60, he scored 176 points in 12 games! That's over 14 points a game.

Really, the only controversy over Paul's HOF election was bc of the '63 gambling suspension. With all the guys that have had trouble over dope & what-not in the Hall, Paul looks like a choirboy in comparison.

Hornung is in the HOF where he belongs.

Patler
03-25-2013, 04:03 PM
Paul is a bona fide NFL HOFer. The people that denigrate his HOF status are youngbloods who simply look at the numbers and didn't see him play. Deacon Jones, a HOF DE for the Rams bad raps a lot of players. I just saw a segment on NFL network that named Paul the most versatile player in NFL history (Sammy Baugh was #2). Deacon lauded Paul for his running, passing, kicking, pass catching and blocking ability. Deac stated that a big reason for Taylor's success was that Hornung was such a punishing blocker. HOF players from that time all accept Paul as a legit superstar fully deserving of Canton.

Paul could do things that I've yet to see duplicated by contemporary players. Nobody could run the option play like Paul. Now everybody is jerking off over the read option. The famous Lombardi sweep was the read option of that time. Paul could run it to perfection. if the defense came up too rapidly, Paul could fire a perfectly aimed spiral, right on rhythmn to a cutting receiver. RB's tossing the option now look like they are hurling grenades. Hornung threw like a passer. Inside the 20, Paul was also lethal. He would time blocks perfectly and make really quick wide cuts to get in the end zone. In '60, he scored 176 points in 12 games! That's over 14 points a game.

Really, the only controversy over Paul's HOF election was bc of the '63 gambling suspension. With all the guys that have had trouble over dope & what-not in the Hall, Paul looks like a choirboy in comparison.

I think people forget what a staple the halfback option was for the Packers under Lombardi. Hornung, Tom Moore and Elijah Pitts were all capable of throwing off the sweep, and one of them did at least once a game or so, it seemed.

woodbuck27
03-25-2013, 08:47 PM
It takes time to do a Top Ten List like this.

It's alot to do with the criteria that you may choose to use to determine such a ranking. So different results from different people.

Aaron Rodgers already has a place on this top ten. In four more seasons if it goes well for him healthwise. Clay Matthews III will deserve a spot. Considering the great history of the Green Bay Packers. That speaks mountains for these two fine players and the team we're enjoying at present.

A few comments:

** The fella that heads the list (Herb Adderly) is ranked in the top 60 players in Pro Football over the last 6 decades plus, according to a source. :-)

** One of my top five (Dave Robinson) has just been selected to the NFL HOF (2013)

** Three of these players are in the Pro Football HOF. I almost included another NFL HOFer or Paul Hornung but decided to go in a different direction. I wrestled with that decision.

** Nine of these players are in the Green Bay Packer HOF.

** There wasn't alot to pick from in ranking spots 5 thru 10.

Many Packer fan Top Ten Lists will include my honourable mentions: NFL HOFer and the Golden Boy Paul Hornung and the once heir apparant to the great Green Bay Packers guards Jerry Kramer and Fuzzy Thurston, Gail Gillingham. No ... he couldn't replace both of them.

Paul Hornung:

http://packershalloffame.com/players/paul-hornung/

Gale Gillingham:

http://packershalloffame.com/players/gale-gillingham/

My TOP TEN First Round Draft Picks of the Green Bay Packers:

1. CB - Herb Adderly

NFL Draft: 1961 Round: 1 Pick: 12 ... Green Bay Packers (1961-1969)

Pro Football Hall of Fame (1980)

5× Pro Bowl selection (1963, 1964, 1965, 1966, 1967); 4× First Team All-Pro selection (1962, 1963, 1965, 1966); 3× Second Team All-Pro selection (1964, 1967, 1968); 6× NFL Champion (1961, 1962, 1965, 1966, 1967, 1971); 3× Super Bowl Champion (I, II, VI); NFL 1960s All-Decade Team and The first name in the Green Bay Packers Hall of Fame.

http://packershalloffame.com/players/herb-adderely/

2. WR - James Lofton

NFL Draft: 1978 Round: 1 Pick: 6 ... Green Bay Packers (1978–1986)

Pro Football Hall of Fame (2003)

8× Pro Bowl selection (1978, 1980, 1981, 1982, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1991); 4× First-team All-Pro selection (1980, 1981, 1983, 1984); 2× Second-team All-Pro selection (1982, 1985); All-Rookie Team
(1978); NFL 1980s All-Decade Team and Green Bay Packers Hall of Fame

http://packershalloffame.com/players/james-lofton/

3. LB - Dave Robinson

NFL Draft: 1963 Round: 1 Pick: 14 ... Green Bay Packers 1963-72

Pro Football Hall of Fame (2013)

AP, NEA and UPI 1st Team All-Pro (1967); NEA and UPI 1st Team All-Pro (1968); AP and PFWA 2nd Team All-Pro (1968); NEA, Pro Football Weekly, The Sporting News and UPI 1st Team All-Pro (1969); PFWA 2nd Team All-Pro (1969); NFL 1960s All-Decade Team; 3× NFL Champion (1965, 1966, 1967);
2× Super Bowl Champion (I, II) and Green Bay Packers Hall of Fame

http://packershalloffame.com/players/dave-robinson/

4. QB Aaron Rodgers

NFL Draft: 2005 Round: 1 Pick: 24... Green Bay Packers 2005 - Present

3× Pro Bowl (2009, 2011, 2012); First-team All-Pro (2011); Second-team All-Pro (2012);
AP NFL MVP (2011); Super Bowl champion (XLV); Super Bowl MVP (XLV); NFC champion (2010);
Single season QB Passer Rating record (122.5); Associated Press Athlete of the Year (2011);FedEx Air NFL Player of the Year (2010); First-team All-Pac-10 (2004); Highest career passer rating
in NFL history (104.9); Highest career completion percentage in NFL history (65.7%).

5. LB - Fred Carr

NFL Draft: 1968 Round: 1 Pick 5 ... Green Bay Packers 1968-77.

Pro Bowls: 3; Pro Bowl Co-MVP (1970) and Green Bay Packers Hall of Fame

Do you remember Fred Carr? If you do that's why I placed that man here.

http://packershalloffame.com/players/fred-carr/

6. WR - Sterling Sharpe

NFL Draft: 1988 Round: 1 Pick: 7 ... Green Bay Packers 1988-94.

5× Pro Bowl selection (1989, 1990, 1992, 1993, 1994); 3× All-Pro1st team selection 2 2nd team (1989, 1990, 1992, 1993, 1994); Led NFL in receptions in 1989, 1992, and 1993;
Led NFL in receiving TDs in 1992 and 1994 and Green Bay Packers Hall of Fame

Career NFL statistics:

595 Receptions; 8,134 Yards receiving and 65 TD's. Mad numbers for his short time in the NFL. The best WR I've ever seen.

http://packershalloffame.com/players/sterling-sharpe/

7. CB - Willie Buchanon

NFL Draft: 1972 Round: 1 Pick: 7 ... Green Bay Packers 1972-78

3× Pro Bowl selection (1973, 1974, 1978); 1× All-Pro selection (1978); 1972 NFL Defensive Rookie of the Year and San Diego Chargers 50th Anniversary Team and Green Bay Packers Hall of Fame

http://packershalloffame.com/players/willie-buchanon/

8. LB - Dan Currie

NFL Draft: 1958 Round: 1 Pick 3 ... Green Bay Packers 1958-64

Overshadowed by three other outstanding Packer contributors in the 1958 draft. Hofers FB Jim Taylor, LB Ray Nitschke and the great Green Bay Packers Guard of the 1960's Jerry Kramer. Dan Currie held his own overall in his NFL career. He's certainly not on the lips of many Packer fans when we discuss 'the greats' but I appreciated his play.

He was a 2 X Pro Bowler and is a member of the Green Bay Packers HOF.

http://packershalloffame.com/players/dan-currie/

9. LB - John Anderson

NFL Draft: 1978 Round: 1 Pick: 26 ... Green Bay Packers 1978-1989

NFL 1980s All-Decade Team and Green Bay Packers Hall of Fame

http://packershalloffame.com/players/john-anderson/

10. RB - Donny Anderson

NFL Draft: 1965 Round: 1 Pick: 7 ... Green Bay Packers 1966-71

Modest Career Records with 1 Pro Bowl and the Green Bay Packers HOF. He was still special.

http://packershalloffame.com/players/donny-anderson/

GO PACK GO!

Smidgeon
03-26-2013, 10:42 AM

Thanks for the history lesson. These are why I continue to read PR. Well, these and the scheme breakdowns...

Fritz
03-26-2013, 11:47 AM

Maybe Wayne Simmons in '93 should be considered? Or John Brockington in '71, although he got injured after a few hard core years?

I'd type more but I'm only using one hand. The other one is occupied as I think about the read-option...

woodbuck27
03-26-2013, 02:37 PM
Maybe Wayne Simmons in '93 should be considered? Or John Brockington in '71, although he got injured after a few hard core years?

I'd type more but I'm only using one hand. The other one is occupied as I think about the read-option...

Wayne Simmons. I liked him alot.

Some men die young.

How about Vonnie Holiday? If he had remained a Packer for a few more seasons I'm sure that he would have made or been very close to making my list. The 'almost' emergence of Cletidus Hunt and having a young Aaron Kampman led to Vonnie Holiday and this:

http://www.nfl.com/player/vonnieholliday/2501208/profile

pbmax
03-26-2013, 11:04 PM

Still one of my favorite Packer moments was Wayne throttling the entire San Fran offense in that playoff game in 94 or 95. Just treated Brent Jones like a rag doll. I can't imagine how insane he must have been in the locker room prior to game.

Fritz
03-27-2013, 06:11 AM
He was a mad man. I think sometimes the Packers could use a legitimate "crazy" on defense. Wayne Simmons, Ted "The Stork" Hendricks, somebody like that.

Iron Mike
03-27-2013, 07:09 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gqbcj0dg5AE

KYPack
03-27-2013, 08:53 AM
Wayne "Big Money" Simmons was a true badass crazy man.

Once Favre was doing one of his long rambling interviews. The subject of Simmons came up and Favre said, "I was scared of him, but so was everybody".

Fritz
03-27-2013, 04:46 PM
Damn that was great to watch, Mikey. Thanks. AJ Hawk would never do that, but maybe Bishop?

sharpe1027
03-27-2013, 04:52 PM
Still one of my favorite Packer moments was Wayne throttling the entire San Fran offense in that playoff game in 94 or 95. Just treated Brent Jones like a rag doll. I can't imagine how insane he must have been in the locker room prior to game.

Brent Jones got absolutely destroyed. It was awesome.

Iron Mike
03-27-2013, 08:23 PM
Got three hours to kill???

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jk5KNX2xEos

woodbuck27
03-27-2013, 08:33 PM
Got three hours to kill???

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jk5KNX2xEos

http://ca.sports.yahoo.com/nfl/news?slug=ycn-7249058

1995 NFC Divisional Playoff game played at San Francisco January 6th, 1996.

A huge game in 'Super Bowl Era' Green Bay Packer history.

Iron Mike
03-27-2013, 08:47 PM
Got 9 minutes to kill??

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Pqt-gnmuVJc

Patler
03-28-2013, 02:07 AM
I forgot about the trick plays the Packers used back then. The ones where Rodgers takes the snap. places the ball directly in the midsection of another player, who grabs the ball directly from Rodgers, then runs passed defenders who are kept from tackling him by O-linemen who get between the defenders and the guy running with the ball.

Why have they stopped using those plays????

Joemailman
03-28-2013, 07:02 AM
I forgot about the trick plays the Packers used back then. The ones where Rodgers takes the snap. places the ball directly in the midsection of another player, who grabs the ball directly from Rodgers, then runs passed defenders who are kept from tackling him by O-linemen who get between the defenders and the guy running with the ball.

Why have they stopped using those plays????

Fads come and go.

swede
03-28-2013, 09:36 AM

My eighteen year-old son was a wee babe in arms at the time, and his mother was gone for the day with his older sisters so I had to take care of him while i watched the game. I was so nervous because the 49rs were awesome and the Packers, in my mind, could not possibly be awesome like the other truly awesome teams. I mean, get real...I had the 70's and 80's weighing down my expectations like a Chrysler Imperial.

When we stripped the ball and ran it in for the TD I had been holding my son and rocking him as I fed him a bottle. I yelled when Simmons blew up the ball carrier and forced the fumble, and I galloped across the living room urging the player who picked it up to score. My son was lucky I didn't spike him.

Baby son's mfw:

http://theinfothority.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/08/Angry-Baby-300x291.jpg

Fritz
03-28-2013, 12:26 PM
Funny, when Newsome made that play, I was so pumped up that I felt like it was already the Packers' game. But when Shields returned that interception for a score, I only got cautiously excited.