PDA

View Full Version : Michael Huff on his way to visit GB

Patler
03-26-2013, 02:38 PM
Sorry if this was posted elsewhere:

Free agent DB Michael Huff has scheduled a visit with the Packers.
Huff had a "nice visit" in Dallas, but is going forward with planned trips to the Ravens and Green Bay. Per ESPN Dallas, Huff isn't sure he can wait for the Cowboys to "get their salary-cap situation straight." It sounds like he'll have a new home by the end of the week. Mar 26 - 3:05 PM

KYPack
03-26-2013, 03:07 PM
Sorry if this was posted elsewhere:

Very "Tank-an-esque" post, Patler.

woodbuck27
03-26-2013, 03:09 PM
Does TT know that he's coming?

Michael Huff is getting up there in age but still makes plays and isn't injury prone or he's reliable.

He's only missed 4 games in a 7 season career going back to 2007. He started 54 games over the past four seasons. He's a hard hitter who had 13 pass defenses and 2 picks last year. He has 11 career picks, but has 10 in his last four seasons alone.

http://www.nfl.com/player/michaelhuff/2495859/profile

woodbuck27
03-26-2013, 03:15 PM
Very "Tank-an-esque" post, Patler.

Where is Tank.

http://t2.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcSSCE_MGHciTFh5SLSJ2jmSAu9FD6bIW usMC3O3atpCaWlO42-c9w

Doing a Doctorate?

pittstang5
03-26-2013, 04:46 PM
He'll be a Raven....end of story.

woodbuck27
03-26-2013, 04:56 PM
He'll be a Raven....end of story.

You post that why?

Ohh yea !

TT has some beans for this and more beans for that. No beans for FA's that havn't already acquired a fine taste for Wisconsin sausage.

http://t3.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcTpjcaMcv_V1De-ZF--VmhSfk-WFvA5LVjj2r2jO9FRAurcer5p

Look Good!? Doesn't matter...it's cheap.

pittstang5
03-26-2013, 05:23 PM
You post that why?

Ohh yea !

TT has some beans for this and more beans for that. No beans for FA's that havn't already acquired a fine taste for Wisconsin sausage.

http://t3.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcTpjcaMcv_V1De-ZF--VmhSfk-WFvA5LVjj2r2jO9FRAurcer5p

Look Good!? Doesn't matter...it's cheap.

No.

Ravens need a safety, although some will disagree, I don't think the Packers NEED a safety. The upcoming draft is touted as a good safety draft. TT will probably draft a Huff's potential roster spot in April. Again, I see Green Bay being used to potentially drive the price up.

Bretsky
03-26-2013, 08:00 PM
No.

Ravens need a safety, although some will disagree, I don't think the Packers NEED a safety. The upcoming draft is touted as a good safety draft. TT will probably draft a Huff's potential roster spot in April. Again, I see Green Bay being used to potentially drive the price up.

On a scale of one to ten my hopes are about a 0; as all we need is Red coming in letting us know the deal is near done and then it goes negative

We signed about the only free agent I detested; how ironic for a guy who use to get pumped for free agency :)

Bretsky
03-26-2013, 08:19 PM
Just a couple FYI's

GB's cap situation....much cleaner than Dallas or Baltimore
ESPN has Huff rated as the #18 Safety, ahead of Burnett
He'd be a nice pickup for a couple years while the young guys develop
Ed Reed got 15 MIL for three yrs
My guess is he nets 2.75-3.5 MIL per year on about a three year deal

HarveyWallbangers
03-26-2013, 08:59 PM
GB's cap situation....much cleaner than Dallas or Baltimore

Not really--unless you don't plan on extending Rodgers and Matthews this summer.

Guiness
03-26-2013, 09:48 PM
Does TT know that he's coming?

Funnies thing in this thread!

Mazzin
03-26-2013, 10:38 PM
Least it's something to look forward to! :) come on Teddy, pull out the check book, you dont have to front load ALL of Arods contract.

Patler
03-27-2013, 05:29 AM
Huff is a bit interesting. Same age as Collins. A bit bigger than Collins. Fast. Said to be a willing player in run defense, but not always with good tackling technique. Good enough cover guy that he spent a good part of 2012 at CB due to injuries. Made some second team All-Pro lists in 2010.

Could be a player who has been beaten down playing for one of the suspect organizations in the NFL. One whose career could have a resurgence when put in a different, better football environment, not unlike another DB who escaped from Oakland a few years ago.

Fritz
03-27-2013, 06:10 AM
I like what someone said above - sign him for a couple years while the young guys develop. Safeties notoriously take time to develop - Sharper and Collins are two examples - so if Huff could be had for a two year deal, that would give McMillan and Richardson and whomever the Packers draft this year some time to learn. By the way, anybody heard anything about Richardson's injured neck? Is his career in jeopardy?

Iron Mike
03-27-2013, 07:01 AM
Oh, Christ....TT won't sign him. Let's move on to the draft:

http://www.thefan1075.com/common/more.php?m=49&post_id=123

Bretsky
03-27-2013, 07:18 AM
Not really--unless you don't plan on extending Rodgers and Matthews this summer.

Cleaner with the extensions......plus....no guarantees we have to extend both "this summer" . We are far from the doom and gloom of Dallas. We have plenty of room to afford a 3MIL/year deal.

3irty1
03-27-2013, 08:55 AM
Cleaner with the extensions......plus....no guarantees we have to extend both "this summer" . We are far from the doom and gloom of Dallas. We have plenty of room to afford a 3MIL/year deal.

I'd be surprised if that's all he gets.

woodbuck27
03-27-2013, 10:23 AM
No.

I've just been studying what TT might do with this draft RE: addressing the FS/SS position.

ie Use #26 for FS Eric Reid or trade down for another pick on day two and target SS D.J. Swearinger or FS Matt Elam with his second round pick.

PACKERS !

3irty1
03-27-2013, 10:31 AM
Trading down in this draft will be though I think since everyone is going to have the same idea. Very deep class that is extra weak at the top. 6 or 7 guys that I would rather have than Huff though. Huff is a hell of an athlete but he's way too soft to be the answer on a defense that is too soft. I want a tone-setter from our next safety.

Pugger
03-27-2013, 11:38 AM
Huff is coming for a visit? I'll believe it when we get a reliable report that he sets foot on the premises at 1265.

3irty1
03-27-2013, 11:43 AM
Signed 3-year deal with Ravens.

3irty1
03-27-2013, 11:45 AM

And turns out I was waaaayyyyyyy wrong again with the numbers. First numbers I've heard are 3 years 6M.

red
03-27-2013, 11:56 AM
No surprise

woodbuck27
03-27-2013, 12:16 PM
Trading down in this draft will be though I think since everyone is going to have the same idea. Very deep class that is extra weak at the top. 6 or 7 guys that I would rather have than Huff though. Huff is a hell of an athlete but he's way too soft to be the answer on a defense that is too soft. I want a tone-setter from our next safety.

Hi 3irty1:

A) ESPN quotes Scouts Inc. with this evaluation:

"Huff is an athletic safety with above average speed and good acceleration, but he has struggled to establish himself in the secondary. Huff has started and played at both safety positions but just can't seem to take either one and run with it. Huff can be a heavy hitter when lined up inside the box and he recognizes the play as it develops. Unfortunately, he also will look like he overanalyzes or freezes up at times and can be slow to pull the trigger. Huff needs a lot of work on route recognition and reading the quarterback's eyes when in off coverage."

Edit:

In any case and returning to the thread after this post. It looks like S/CB Michael Huff signed with the Baltimore RAVENS. I'll be watching that fella next season. It seems to me that $Money$ wise his signing wasn't a huge risk to the RAVENS.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap1000000154242/article/michael-huff-baltimore-ravens-agree-on-3year-deal

"NFL.com's Ian Rapoport reported the contract is a three-year deal worth $6 million. The move makes a ton of sense. Huff, 30, is a lot younger than Ed Reed. Huff provides similar centerfield ability and can line up at cornerback if necessary."

B) Ted Thompson's #26 pick:

Safety

It looks to me like FS John Cyprien, Florida International and SS Kenny Vaccaro, Texas will be gone if TT decides (or is forced) to use his Rd. 1 #26 pick. It appears that to use that pick on FS Eric Reid, LSU is a reach.

ILB

Posters here see this position as a need. Ted Thompson has ensured lots of competition already this offseason at ILB. That might exclude ILB's Kevin Minter, LSU; Alec Ogletree, Geogia and Te'O Manti, Notre Dame.

TE

The 'love affair' with TE Jermichael Finley will continue for at least 2013.

In any case, TE's Tyler Eifert, Notre Dame and Zach Ertz, Stanford are a reach in my analysis.

CB

You can't have enough good CB's but we're not in bad shape at this position. In any case one of these six foot or taller CB's will be available:

Xavier Rhodes, Florida St.; Johnthan Banks, Mississippi St.; and Desmond Trufant, Washington

Add Jamar Taylor 5'11" 192 lb, Boise St.

After that analysis it looks to me that Ted Thompson will use the #26 pick to go BIG and in the trenches.

DL or OL

In terms of availability he might jump all over:

DE's Bjoern Werner, Florida St.; Damontre Moore,Texas A & M or Daytone Jones,UCLA

DT Jessie Williams, Alabama

DE's Carradine Cornellius, Florida St. or Alex Okafor, Texas.

OT's D.J. Fluker, Alabama; Watson Menelik, Florida St. or Terron Armstead, Arkansas-Pine Bluff

WR

Deandra Hopkins, Clemson or Keenan Allen might be options for pick #26. Anyone else looks like a reach and we have need at other positions.

Conclusion:

The more I look at TT's possible use of the #26 pick it grows on me that he will use it to pick a prospect for our DL or OL.

3irty1 or anyone... would you please comment on this post?

GO PACK GO!

run pMc
03-27-2013, 12:20 PM

+1

McMillian could be a tone-setter if the lightbulb goes on. Otherwise I think TT might look for another safety in the middle rounds. I'd rather see the money spent on CM3 and Rodgers than Huff. I'm skeptical GB will have enough cap space to keep Raji too.

woodbuck27
03-27-2013, 12:38 PM
+1

McMillian could be a tone-setter if the lightbulb goes on. Otherwise I think TT might look for another safety in the middle rounds. I'd rather see the money spent on CM3 and Rodgers than Huff. I'm skeptical GB will have enough cap space to keep Raji too.

There's considerations/changes to be made in terms of retaining BJ Raji.

Ted Thompson surely isn't considering BJ Raji in the same light as Aaron Rodgers and Clay Matthews. That in terms related to cost to the CAP and the teams positive future Vs real value.

In my view Clay Matthews III is far more valuable than BJ Raji to our defense in terms of his comfort level in his position.

GO PACK GO !

run pMc
03-27-2013, 12:40 PM
Conclusion:

The more I look at TT's possible use of the #26 pick it grows on me that he will use it to pick a prospect for our DL or OL.

I think as usual it will come down to BPA.

I'm skeptical they go OL unless
(a) Jonathan Cooper drops to them at 26 and they think he can play both C and G, or
(b) They know neither Sherrod/Datko is healthy or capable of displacing Newhouse.

I'm reading the ILB class is only so-so; Ogletree is the only one who might be around at #26 and he's a big character risk. Minter is a maybe, I'm not sold on him or Brown in Round 1. I'm less impressed than many with Te'o.

There's good depth in DL, and I'm in the camp that's in favor of a guy like John Jenkins or Jesse Williams because I'm not sure Raji and Pickett will be on the roster in 2 years, and Worthy/Daniels aren't NT's. They could also use a prototypical 3-4 DE.

I could actually see them take Eifert at TE if he's still there, but McGinn's sources seem to think he wants to be a WR and doesn't like football as much as the less athletic Ertz (who is not a R1 pick IMO). It depends on what the staff knows about Quarless and the other TE's...I think Finley is gone after this year and with James Jones also a FA they will need to refresh their receiving corps

That said, I think they could wait until R2-3 to get a decent WR...there's ok depth there.

Same thing with safety. Drafting a S in R1 is not that common and has to be an impact player IMO. If Vaccaro is there and they take him I wouldn't be upset but I think Cyprien in R1 is a reach.

woodbuck27
03-27-2013, 01:01 PM
I think as usual it will come down to BPA.

I'm skeptical they go OL unless
(a) Jonathan Cooper drops to them at 26 and they think he can play both C and G, or
(b) They know neither Sherrod/Datko is healthy or capable of displacing Newhouse.

I'm reading the ILB class is only so-so; Ogletree is the only one who might be around at #26 and he's a big character risk. Minter is a maybe, I'm not sold on him or Brown in Round 1. I'm less impressed than many with Te'o.

There's good depth in DL, and I'm in the camp that's in favor of a guy like John Jenkins or Jesse Williams because I'm not sure Raji and Pickett will be on the roster in 2 years, and Worthy/Daniels aren't NT's. They could also use a prototypical 3-4 DE.

I could actually see them take Eifert at TE if he's still there, but McGinn's sources seem to think he wants to be a WR and doesn't like football as much as the less athletic Ertz (who is not a R1 pick IMO). It depends on what the staff knows about Quarless and the other TE's...I think Finley is gone after this year and with James Jones also a FA they will need to refresh their receiving corps

That said, I think they could wait until R2-3 to get a decent WR...there's ok depth there.

Same thing with safety. Drafting a S in R1 is not that common and has to be an impact player IMO. If Vaccaro is there and they take him I wouldn't be upset but I think Cyprien in R1 is a reach.

"Minter is a maybe, I'm not sold on him or Brown in Round 1. I'm less impressed than many with Te'o.

There's good depth in DL, and I'm in the camp that's in favor of a guy like John Jenkins or Jesse Williams because I'm not sure Raji and Pickett will be on the roster in 2 years, and Worthy/Daniels aren't NT's." run pMc

I've like Kevin Minter but RE: BPA. I agree that TT will have better options.

As an exercise:

It's down to a choice between DT's Jesse Williams and John Jenkins.

Who do you pick and why?

PACKERS !

3irty1
03-27-2013, 01:15 PM
Hi 3irty1:

"Huff is an athletic safety with above average speed and good acceleration, but he has struggled to establish himself in the secondary. Huff has started and played at both safety positions but just can't seem to take either one and run with it. Huff can be a heavy hitter when lined up inside the box and he recognizes the play as it develops. Unfortunately, he also will look like he overanalyzes or freezes up at times and can be slow to pull the trigger. Huff needs a lot of work on route recognition and reading the quarterback's eyes when in off coverage."

Edit:

In any case and returning to the thread after this post. It looks like S/CB Michael Huff signed with the Baltimore RAVENS. I'll be watching that fella next season. It seems to me that $Money$ wise his signing wasn't a huge risk to the RAVENS.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap1000000154242/article/michael-huff-baltimore-ravens-agree-on-3year-deal

"NFL.com's Ian Rapoport reported the contract is a three-year deal worth $6 million. The move makes a ton of sense. Huff, 30, is a lot younger than Ed Reed. Huff provides similar centerfield ability and can line up at cornerback if necessary."

B) Ted Thompson's #26 pick:

Safety

It looks to me like FS John Cyprien, Florida International and SS Kenny Vaccaro, Texas will be gone if TT decides (or is forced) to use his Rd. 1 #26 pick. It appears that to use that pick on FS Eric Reid, LSU is a reach.

ILB

Posters here see this position as a need. Ted Thompson has ensured lots of competition already this offseason at ILB. That might exclude ILB's Kevin Minter, LSU; Alec Ogletree, Geogia and Te'O Manti, Notre Dame.

TE

The 'love affair' with TE Jermichael Finley will continue for at least 2013.

In any case, TE's Tyler Eifert, Notre Dame and Zach Ertz, Stanford are a reach in my analysis.

CB

You can't have enough good CB's but we're not in bad shape at this position. In any case one of these six foot or taller CB's will be available:

Xavier Rhodes, Florida St.; Johnthan Banks, Mississippi St.; and Desmond Trufant, Washington

Add Jamar Taylor 5'11" 192 lb, Boise St.

After that analysis it looks to me that Ted Thompson will use the #26 pick to go BIG and in the trenches.

DL or OL

In terms of availability he might jump all over:

DE's Bjoern Werner, Florida St.; Damontre Moore,Texas A & M or Daytone Jones,UCLA

DT Jessie Williams, Alabama

DE's Carradine Cornellius, Florida St. or Alex Okafor, Texas.

OT's D.J. Fluker, Alabama; Watson Menelik, Florida St. or Terron Armstead, Arkansas-Pine Bluff

WR

Deandra Hopkins, Clemson or Keenan Allen might be options for pick #26. Anyone else looks like a reach and we have need at other positions.

Conclusion:

GO PACK GO!

Those ESPN write ups come get updated about once every 3 years or so. Nobody questions Huff's athleticism, from what I've seen the guy has a very soft shoulder and is a pretty lousy tackler even by 2011 Green Bay standards. For 2M per year I would have liked to see if he magically improves just by being out of Oakland. Capers likes to use 3 safeties at a time anyways.

As for the draft, I see the easiest ways to make the team this year are at the positions of RB, C, QB, Safety, WR, and OLB in that order. Worthy will probably ride the PUP for all of 2013 but I have a premature feeling that the return of Jolly is going to shore up that spot so I don't really consider DL a big need. It would be nice to at least take a late flier on a DL just to make Wilson and Jolly earn their jobs.

RB - There are no running backs I'd consider at #26.
C - Best case scenario is to have Cooper fall and put him at C or move Lang there. When that quality of player falls to you I think you take him and make it work.
QB - We won't be taking a QB at 26.
S - Vaccaro will probably be gone, Reid isn't too big of a reach. Cyprien is closer to Brad Jones than he is to Nick Collins IMO. No thanks. I think this position is best addressed in 2nd or mid rounds with a guy like Thomas or Jefferson. My personal favorite would be to convert Amerson to FS.
WR - I'd be a little surprised if we took a WR that high but Keenan Allen is probably my favorite of the 1st round group.
OLB - I don't think they'll go for an OLB in round 1 simply because we have 2 starters there.

3irty1
03-27-2013, 01:17 PM
As an exercise:

It's down to a choice between DT's Jesse Williams and John Jenkins.

Who do you pick and why?

PACKERS !

I'd take Williams. I think he seems like TT's type of 2-gap guy too. Very strong and plays very square. Is athletic enough to play DE but could get us out of a game at NT if needed as he did with Bama. I think he can be the player that TT was hoping Harrell would have been. He'd be a suitable long term replacement for Pickett in terms of his ability to play the run and play multiple positions.

Guiness
03-27-2013, 01:18 PM
So...did Huff make it to GB? Sounds like he went to Baltimore first and got a contract while he was there.

3irty1
03-27-2013, 01:22 PM
So...did Huff make it to GB? Sounds like he went to Baltimore first and got a contract while he was there.

Correct he never made it out of Baltimore.

Fritz
03-27-2013, 01:28 PM
Correct he never made it out of Baltimore.

I heard he came to Green Bay but left in a Huff.

woodbuck27
03-27-2013, 02:11 PM
Those ESPN write ups come get updated about once every 3 years or so. Nobody questions Huff's athleticism, from what I've seen the guy has a very soft shoulder and is a pretty lousy tackler even by 2011 Green Bay standards. For 2M per year I would have liked to see if he magically improves just by being out of Oakland. Capers likes to use 3 safeties at a time anyways.

As for the draft, I see the easiest ways to make the team this year are at the positions of RB, C, QB, Safety, WR, and OLB in that order. Worthy will probably ride the PUP for all of 2013 but I have a premature feeling that the return of Jolly is going to shore up that spot so I don't really consider DL a big need. It would be nice to at least take a late flier on a DL just to make Wilson and Jolly earn their jobs.

RB - There are no running backs I'd consider at #26.
C - Best case scenario is to have Cooper fall and put him at C or move Lang there. When that quality of player falls to you I think you take him and make it work.
QB - We won't be taking a QB at 26.
S - Vaccaro will probably be gone, Reid isn't too big of a reach. Cyprien is closer to Brad Jones than he is to Nick Collins IMO. No thanks. I think this position is best addressed in 2nd or mid rounds with a guy like Thomas or Jefferson. My personal favorite would be to convert Amerson to FS.
WR - I'd be a little surprised if we took a WR that high but Keenan Allen is probably my favorite of the 1st round group.
OLB - I don't think they'll go for an OLB in round 1 simply because we have 2 starters there.

What I got out of that is:

That you are pulling for OG Jonathan Cooper to be there at #26.

I'm a 'no' to Eric Reid and Rd. 1 #26. I would rather target FS Eric Reid (Rd. 2 Pick # 55).

Your view, that TT can improve us at Safety at #55 or #88.

You really like N. Carolina State's David Amerson. His draft position has slipped. Did you observe him playing?

What's your comment on the reports that David Amerson seemed preoccupied with doing too much last season? That his play had slipped considerably from (2011). A season in which he had 13 picks or the most in the NCAA in four and a half decades.

Do you believe that David Amerson (who's speedy) offers flexibility mainly in regards to his size for a conversion from CB >>> S?

TT might surprize us going with WR Keenan Allen but I wouldn't bet on that. He's recovering from a PCL Left knee injury and his speed is also a question mark.

GO PACK GO !

woodbuck27
03-27-2013, 02:13 PM

He's too Huff...ee for Green Bay.

Cheesehead Craig
03-27-2013, 04:15 PM

I think your huffing again

Fritz
03-27-2013, 04:36 PM
He Huffed and he puffed and he signed with the Ravens.

Bretsky
03-27-2013, 08:20 PM
Funnies thing in this thread!

DITTO

DAM FUNNY

Bretsky
03-27-2013, 08:22 PM

he got less

Cheesehead Craig
03-27-2013, 08:59 PM
He Huffed and he puffed and he signed with the Ravens.

Did you get that info from the Huffington Post?

Brando19
03-27-2013, 10:44 PM
Who gives a huff?

Bretsky
03-28-2013, 07:08 AM
Great signing by Ozzie Newsome
That's called closing a deal

Baltimore loses Krueger and they probably replace him with a better player for less money
Then they lose Reed and find a very cost effective quality replacement
Nice recovery from a contract they pretty much had to dole out that will hurt them for a while

3irty1
03-28-2013, 07:39 AM
Great signing by Ozzie Newsome
That's called closing a deal

Baltimore loses Krueger and they probably replace him with a better player for less money
Then they lose Reed and find a very cost effective quality replacement
Nice recovery from a contract they pretty much had to dole out that will hurt them for a while

Courtney Upshaw is replacing Krueger is he not?

ThunderDan
03-28-2013, 08:18 AM
Hi 3irty1:

Edit:

I find it fun that you highlight the positive and not the next sentence.

Unfortunately, he also will look like he overanalyzes or freezes up at times and can be slow to pull the trigger

woodbuck27
03-28-2013, 12:53 PM
I find it fun that you highlight the positive and not the next sentence.

Unfortunately, he also will look like he overanalyzes or freezes up at times and can be slow to pull the trigger

Is a thank you in order for doing that?

Are you trying to make a point?

Bretsky
03-28-2013, 06:34 PM
Courtney Upshaw is replacing Krueger is he not?

I guess I meant to say they signed a better player to replace his pass rushing skills that once appeared to be lost. Surprisingly Krueger didn't even start that much. He just rushed the passer well.

3irty1
03-30-2013, 10:26 AM
I guess I meant to say they signed a better player to replace his pass rushing skills that once appeared to be lost. Surprisingly Krueger didn't even start that much. He just rushed the passer well.

I guess you must mean Chris Canty. I gotta admit I don't really understand the boners for Canty. Guy is hardly a difference maker of any kind. We got as much production from CJ Wilson for 5x less.

woodbuck27
04-01-2013, 12:25 PM
http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2013/04/01/ravens-keep-huff-cap-hit-low-in-2013/

Ravens keep Huff cap hit low in 2013

Posted by Mike Florio on April 1, 2013, 1:02 PM EDT

Comment woodbuck27:

His 3-Yr, $6 million$ contract will carry a cap number of $1.35 million this year.

He got a $1.5 million signing bonus, with base salaries of $850,000, $1.75 million, and $1.9 million in each of the next three seasons.

Escalators could expand the base deal in 2014 and 2015.

He's a player I'll be watching.