PDA

View Full Version : The Great Jewelry Heist

Joemailman
03-26-2013, 06:00 PM
http://www.nationalfootballpost.com/Shaun-Rogers-robbed-of-500000-in-jewelry.html

New York Giants defensive tackle Shaun Rogers was robbed of $500,000 worth of jewelry while he slept in a Miami Beach hotel this weekend.

That is half of what Rogers signed to play for the Giants this season -- $1.005 million, according to Ralph Vacchiano.

According to the report, Rogers went partying and he told Miami Beach Police that he met a woman and Club Liv and brought her back to the room he was staying at the Fontainebleau Hotel at 7 a.m. and put his jewelry in a safe in the room. When he awoke some 5 ½ hours later, the woman was gone and the jewely was missing from the locked safe.

Hotel security opened the safe and it was empty. Missing, per the report, was diamond earrings valued at $100,000, two watches worth $160,000, a gold necklace worth $50,000, two gold bracelets worth $60,000 each and a diamond Cuban necklace and pendant worth $70,000.

Why would anyone carry $500,000 worth of jewelry around with them? And what does a watch worth $80,000 do besides tell time?

Mazzin
03-26-2013, 10:41 PM
Bling Bling BEEEEOOOOTCH...Moron. Could be made up, trying to get half a years salary for jewlery that was never stolen maybe?

MadScientist
03-27-2013, 10:31 AM
And what does a watch worth $80,000 do besides tell time?
Makes it easier to get strange women to come up to your hotel room? And then easy to lose a lot of expensive jewelry because you brought a strange woman up to your hotel room.

Old School
03-27-2013, 10:46 AM
He can count his blessings if he only lost jewelry, and the woman didn't give him the gift that keeps on giving.

woodbuck27
03-27-2013, 10:49 AM
http://www.worldmostexpensive.net/images/mostexpensivemenswatch-lg2.jpg

If your going to FLASH

http://t2.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcReCg926f0MApZZMi2e8bbbWndc4xVtb G6fQfu4objJhzfeeMmvckKd1KEyfQ

The Trash

http://t1.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQhQi6A2So04u2Meynve0rJmLBbxKa0h l_vypXFAWi4CQ1ar4Wo8g

You'd better know how to stash the FLASH.

Patler
03-27-2013, 11:01 AM
Why do I get the feeling that the police investigators will have a lot of fun investigating this one?

Pugger
03-27-2013, 11:31 AM
I wonder how she opened the safe? It makes you wonder if it was an inside job and she had help from a hotel employee. It wouldn't surprise me in the least. But yes, why in the hell was he traveling with that kind of bling in the first place??

Patler
03-27-2013, 12:35 PM
I wonder how she opened the safe? It makes you wonder if it was an inside job and she had help from a hotel employee. It wouldn't surprise me in the least. But yes, why in the hell was he traveling with that kind of bling in the first place??
Ya, lots of questions with this one:
Did he really put it in the safe, or is it a story to cover up that he left it on the nightstand since he was in the room?
If the safe is keyed, did he simply leave the key on the nightstand?
If electronic, did he reprogram it from the generic pre-quest number the hotel uses?
Did he really have all that with him?
Did she have inside help?
Was it really stolen?

Obviously, mismanaging the key/safe does make him responsible and her not, but I'm sure the hotel will want to know for their liability. After all, she apparently was an invited guest into his room.

sharpe1027
03-27-2013, 01:31 PM
When he awoke some 5 ½ hours later, the woman was gone and the jewely was missing from the locked safe.

Hotel security opened the safe and it was empty.

Why report about the hotel security opening the safe when clearly he had already opened the safe himself? Did he open it, find the jewelry missing and then forget the combination?

hoosier
03-27-2013, 01:42 PM
Because Rogers himself was stuck in the safe and couldn't get out?

3irty1
03-27-2013, 01:45 PM
I'm guessing she took the means of opening from the safe with her.

Or swapped the whole safe with a different emptier one.

Or he's lying.

Patler
03-27-2013, 01:59 PM
Why report about the hotel security opening the safe when clearly he had already opened the safe himself? Did he open it, find the jewelry missing and then forget the combination?

:smile: Oh...you skeptic...you! :lol::lol:

Very interesting pickup (of the reported facts by you, not of the girl by him!)

woodbuck27
03-27-2013, 02:18 PM
:smile: Oh...you skeptic...you! :lol::lol:

Very interesting pickup (of the reported facts by you, not of the girl by him!)

http://t2.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcReCg926f0MApZZMi2e8bbbWndc4xVtb G6fQfu4objJhzfeeMmvckKd1KEyfQ

" Come on Guys. I don't wear expensive stuff ! "

sharpe1027
03-27-2013, 03:44 PM
Because Rogers himself was stuck in the safe and couldn't get out?

Oh, it was that type of a party.

KYPack
03-27-2013, 09:55 PM
It's hard to make out what happened in this one.

The only thing I'm sure of is that the story that Rogers is telling is a load of bullshit.

Guiness
03-27-2013, 10:47 PM
Don't know about that KYPack - it's quite possible it went down the way it is written, and Rogers is saying - having had experience with hotel safes - they aren't very safe.

Once they are open, you can reprogram the combination - there are generally instructions inside. If the girl got it open, she would've entered a new code that he didn't know to slow down/confuse them looking for her. Until they got the safe open, they couldn't be sure there was a theft, as opposed to a large hungover man smelling of pussy who forgot his combination.

How did she get it open in the first place? There are a variety of ways. As you can imagine, hotel guests forgetting their 'secret' code is hardly uncommon, so there has to be another way to open them, so the safes either have an override code or some sort of a key/dongle that opens them. A lazy hotel operator might not be real careful with the override code, and a small amount of social engineering would be sure to get it. Doesn't even have to be an inside job, she could've stayed at the motel in the past, 'forgot' her code and had them open it, noting the code when they did so. Most motels will have the same override code for all rooms, and rarely (if ever) change it.

sharpe1027
03-28-2013, 09:17 AM
Don't know about that KYPack - it's quite possible it went down the way it is written, and Rogers is saying - having had experience with hotel safes - they aren't very safe.

Once they are open, you can reprogram the combination - there are generally instructions inside. If the girl got it open, she would've entered a new code that he didn't know to slow down/confuse them looking for her. Until they got the safe open, they couldn't be sure there was a theft, as opposed to a large hungover man smelling of pussy who forgot his combination.

How did she get it open in the first place? There are a variety of ways. As you can imagine, hotel guests forgetting their 'secret' code is hardly uncommon, so there has to be another way to open them, so the safes either have an override code or some sort of a key/dongle that opens them. A lazy hotel operator might not be real careful with the override code, and a small amount of social engineering would be sure to get it. Doesn't even have to be an inside job, she could've stayed at the motel in the past, 'forgot' her code and had them open it, noting the code when they did so. Most motels will have the same override code for all rooms, and rarely (if ever) change it.

According to at least one report, the hotel security had to pry the safe open.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap1000000154200/article/new-york-giants-shaun-rogers-reportedly-victim-of-jewelry-theft

Hotel security reportedly pried the safe open, and Rogers' possessions were not there.

It is possible that his story is true, but I think it is more likely that after a full night of night clubbing (he returned at 7am), he simply did not use the safe.

KYPack
03-28-2013, 09:22 AM

Yeah, I know.

I was a road warrior. 25+ years on the road selling computers and software and other tech stuff.

I know it COULD happen, I just don't believe his ass.

Hotel safes, checking valuables at the front desk? Don't do it. Lock your stuff in the trunk of the rent a car. Hotel burglars get tipped off by the hotel staff and have the keys and code numbers to anything they want. You are asking to get robbed using a hotel safe.

swede
03-28-2013, 09:50 AM

Eef zis eez twue, zen zee safes eez not so safe, ehhh?

http://wodumedia.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/10/Steve-Martin-is-Inspector-Clouseau-in-MGMColumbia-Pictures-The-Pink-Panther-7.jpg

Patler
03-28-2013, 09:51 AM
Is it maybe not a good idea to have a stranger in your room when you are about to pass out with 1/2 million dollars worth of jewelry laying around? Maybe I'm just a bit old fashion?

swede
03-28-2013, 09:54 AM
Is it maybe not a good idea to have a stranger in your room when you are about to pass out with 1/2 million dollars worth of jewelry laying around? Maybe I'm just a bit old fashion?

See, this is why you never get invited to be part of the entourage.

You don't need to buy a new car, just change the oil.

Don't leave a half miliion in jewels in a hotel safe and pass out with a stranger in the room.

Nag nag nag

Guiness
03-28-2013, 01:24 PM

You're old, but I think that's still the fashion!

Sharpe1027 - not sure why they would've had to pry it open, AFAIK those things all have bypass mechanisms. Maybe she superglued it closed after emptying it?

Hotel safes, checking valuables at the front desk? Don't do it. Lock your stuff in the trunk of the rent a car. Hotel burglars get tipped off by the hotel staff and have the keys and code numbers to anything they want. You are asking to get robbed using a hotel safe.

Indeed, security by obscurity is a good policy for this sort of case.

He didn't have that option of course, the Bling was seen by all I'm sure! I wonder if this was a crime of opportunity, or if all that ice drew the attention?. He might've made it easier by inviting her back, but if he was marked, they could easily have let themselves into his room. This way, the door was opened from the inside and they knew he was out.

woodbuck27
03-28-2013, 01:46 PM

Leave it to 'Detective Canuck' to figure this tangled mess out.

It just shouldn't have ever gotten so ugly. I place all my personals and valuables right in....

http://t2.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcTC41qnd97U-TvgLP7B60VH9-X21859mRGcYmwJLwBDuL8CGLYo

Here !

So I never have ....

http://us.123rf.com/400wm/400/400/tankist276/tankist2761209/tankist276120900270/15395311-romantic-evening-date-in-hotel-room-guy-with-sexy-girl-on-bed.jpg

to Fear !

Patler
03-28-2013, 04:06 PM
See, this is why you never get invited to be part of the entourage.

You don't need to buy a new car, just change the oil.

Don't leave a half miliion in jewels in a hotel safe and pass out with a stranger in the room.

Nag nag nag

. :lol: :lol:

sharpe1027
03-28-2013, 04:27 PM
Sharpe1027 - not sure why they would've had to pry it open, AFAIK those things all have bypass mechanisms. Maybe she superglued it closed after emptying it?

Perhaps the bypass mechanism is only available to one or two people and therefore it is not likely to be available to most hotel staff. That would certainly make his story less plausible.

Guiness
03-28-2013, 09:53 PM
Perhaps the bypass mechanism is only available to one or two people and therefore it is not likely to be available to most hotel staff. That would certainly make his story less plausible.

In theory, yes. In practice...not so much. One guy who knows the code is on vacation, the other is not on shift, someone needs into their safe. Manager going to call him in and pay him 4h for a callout because some numbskull? Nah, just tell the girl at the front desk that the code is written on the inside of a bubblegum wrapper in your middle drawer. It's a slippery slope from there.

example: the wi-fi password at my son's school is not supposed to be common knowledge, but a couple of years ago they got some iMacs for the gifted room, and they didn't have NICs. IT guy came in and set them up to go on wi-fi, a kid with an idetic memory saw it...now the kids play League of Legends on their spare.

sharpe1027
03-28-2013, 10:33 PM
In theory, yes. In practice...not so much. One guy who knows the code is on vacation, the other is not on shift, someone needs into their safe. Manager going to call him in and pay him 4h for a callout because some numbskull? Nah, just tell the girl at the front desk that the code is written on the inside of a bubblegum wrapper in your middle drawer. It's a slippery slope from there.

example: the wi-fi password at my son's school is not supposed to be common knowledge, but a couple of years ago they got some iMacs for the gifted room, and they didn't have NICs. IT guy came in and set them up to go on wi-fi, a kid with an idetic memory saw it...now the kids play League of Legends on their spare.

A little research confirms a few reasons to support your point that hotel safes are not that safe, such as having 000000 as the default password.

http://matadornetwork.com/trips/hotel-safes-yeah-not-actually-safe/

In this case they actually pried it open suggesting that it might not have been that simple.

MJZiggy
03-28-2013, 10:48 PM
A little research confirms a few reasons to support your point that hotel safes are not that safe, such as having 000000 as the default password.

http://matadornetwork.com/trips/hotel-safes-yeah-not-actually-safe/

In this case they actually pried it open suggesting that it might not have been that simple.Or they not that bright...

Fritz
03-29-2013, 06:26 AM
I take my $90 Kenneth Cole Watch and my grandfather's faux diamond ring with me every where I travel.

I don't see why you guys are making such a big deal of all this.

Patler
03-29-2013, 08:35 AM
When I was young and traveled a lot, since theft was always a concern, I tried to convince my wife that it would be best if I left my wedding ring at home. :whist:

Fritz
03-29-2013, 09:06 AM
When I was young and traveled a lot, since theft was always a concern, I tried to convince my wife that it would be best if I left my wedding ring at home. :whist:

You'll remember this, Patler:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NGdWjc5aiT0