PDA

View Full Version : Your Official Packers Draft Wish List

Pages : 1 [2]

HarveyWallbangers
04-23-2013, 12:10 AM
I'd be okay with TT taking Reid if there are no D-Linemen worth taking at that spot.

I'm in this camp, as well. I'd say if there are no OL or DL. I like Reid.

HarveyWallbangers
04-23-2013, 12:17 AM
I haven't been paying much attention, so I'm sure most of these guys have been talked about. But as I was reading draft bios last night, these are some names that stuck out to me. Not really targets for any round. Just guys that stood out for where they are projected to go. Any info/opinions on these guys would be greatly appreciated. Any reasons I should not like these guys or I should continue to like them are much appreciated.

QB Tyler Bray, Tyler Wilson
RB Montee Ball
WR Josh Boyce, Chris Harper, Quinton Patton
TE Gavin Escobar, Deangelo Peterson
OT Brennan Williams, Chris Faulk
OG Brian Winters, D.J. Fluker
OC Barrett Jones, Travis Frederick, Patrick Lewis
DE Kawaan Short
LB Jamie Collins, Walter Stewart, Chase Thomas
CB Sanders Cummings, Darius Slay
S Eric Reid, J.J. Wilcox, Phillip Thomas

wist43
04-23-2013, 01:34 AM
The reason I kept going back to Reid in round 1 is I think there will be great depth at DL with a couple falling to us at round two while I think the upper level safeties will be gone

I'm kind of arriving there myself. My preference would be to trade down... short of that, I want defensive help first. I expect TT will take a WR in the first three picks... I like Patton.

Trade down, still come away with Reid?? Throw in Patton and Brandon Williams?? I'd be a happy camper.

Fritz
04-23-2013, 05:58 AM
TT trading down sounds good, but it sounds like a lot of GM's might have that idea this year.

Joemailman
04-23-2013, 06:42 AM
TT trading down sounds good, but it sounds like a lot of GM's might have that idea this year.

Right. The best hope is that someone will decide to trade up for Matt Barkley or E.J. Manuel. Otherwise, I think TT will have to make the pick at 26.

pbmax
04-23-2013, 12:14 PM
Packer Report ‏@PackerReport 1h
SF talking to Cowboys and #Packers, among others, no doubt, about moving up.

Fritz
04-23-2013, 12:39 PM
Wow. Trading with NFC rivals.

I wonder if this could actually happen. And why would you be discussing a trade up before anyone's been drafted? That seems weird.

smuggler
04-23-2013, 12:39 PM
That would be nice, but I kind of doubt it. SF has a ton of picks, so they can splurge a bit, which would be to our gain.

smuggler
04-23-2013, 12:45 PM
It makes sense before the draft if our player grading looks like it has plateaus in the area around our pick and in areas of the picks the 49ers might be able to offer.

Especially if one of the picks the 49ers offer shares the plateau with our pick (ie, 31 overall).

Fritz
04-23-2013, 12:49 PM
But then you'd be banking on the idea that the draft will fall the way you think it will. Let's say the Niners think there are 26 players worthy of a first round pick. So they trade up with the Pack and the Pack gets an extra fourth. Then, during the draft, GM's start picking players SF didn't have in their first 26. If five GM's pick guys SF doesn't have rated in the top 26, then they coulda kept their slot and got one of their 26. I don't see the advantage of trading up beforehand - unless SF thinks it's cheaper to do that than wait.

Patler
04-23-2013, 12:50 PM
And why would you be discussing a trade up before anyone's been drafted? That seems weird.

Actually, I have read several times that the ground work often is laid in advance for trades. First, to determine if a team is even interested in the possibility of trading out of their spot, then to discuss various scenarios, would TT consider trading his 1 for their 1 plus what? Or maybe TT throws in a lower pick to get their 1+2. All subject to how things actually fall, of course.

smuggler
04-23-2013, 12:51 PM
This trade won't happen before draft day. If it did, for some reason, they are probably targeting someone and if they needed to on draft day, they have ammo to move up again from 26 to get their guy.

pbmax
04-23-2013, 12:55 PM
Most of these are exploratory. Thompson has talked previously about knowing where they might be able to go prior to their pick. But everything is conditional. Most of these trades that do not include players get executed on draft day and happen after a team either loses the last player they wanted at a certain pick, have way too many choices of similar value or find a trading partner desperate to jump in to get the last of a run.

So its entirely conceivable the 49ers have plans to trade into BOTH the Packers and Cowboys slots if the draft falls a certain way.

In fact, the only reason to announce an actual trade of picks is if you are certain nothing could disrupt your plans.

Fritz
04-23-2013, 12:57 PM
Makes sense. Exploring some options for draft day.

So that's good too in the sense that the word is out that the Packers' pick is possibly for sale, so if some poor sap of a GM sitting near the top of round two feels the need to have EJ Manuel and is scared he'll be gone soon, then Ted could perhaps fleece 'em for their second and their third.

swede
04-23-2013, 03:27 PM
Actually, I have read several times that the ground work often is laid in advance for trades. First, to determine if a team is even interested in the possibility of trading out of their spot, then to discuss various scenarios, would TT consider trading his 1 for their 1 plus what? Or maybe TT throws in a lower pick to get their 1+2. All subject to how things actually fall, of course.

In his last interview TT said that after the board was set you start calling the other teams to see if they "still have your number."

I think that is folksy TT-speak for doing exactly as you suggest, Patler. The willing partners are sought and general terms worked out in advance. Those deals come together or fall apart as the draft gets underway and names come off the boards.

Bretsky
04-23-2013, 07:52 PM
In an interview with Charley Casserly, ex GM, he noted the week before the draft is where most of the groundwork is laid for potential trade ups and downs. GM's contact each other....seeing if they would be interested, and what it might take.

On short notice...draft day.....he noted teams tend to contact the GM's they know and have down past business with if they are making an impromptu move. He mentioned TT as doing past deals with Hoody, and noted he has familiarity wth the Raiders and Seattle's GM

pittstang5
04-23-2013, 08:06 PM
A.j. Klein needs to be a Packer.

That is all for now.

Joemailman
04-23-2013, 08:18 PM
In an interview with Charley Casserly, ex GM, he noted the week before the draft is where most of the groundwork is laid for potential trade ups and downs. GM's contact each other....seeing if they would be interested, and what it might take.

On short notice...draft day.....he noted teams tend to contact the GM's they know and have down past business with if they are making an impromptu move. He mentioned TT as doing past deals with Hoody, and noted he has familiarity wth the Raiders and Seattle's GM

Doubt you would see a trade between Packers and Seattle. Seattle doesn't have a 1st round pick, and I doubt TT would want to trade down and help them get a player they really want since they are NFC rivals. The rest of the draft the Packers and Seattle pick back to back. He might trade with McKenzie although Raiders are probably looking to pick up picks, so it would only be if TT is looking to trade up. A trade with Hoody is always a possibility.

Trades with Hoody have netted Greg Jennings in 2006, Clay Matthews in 2009, and Casey Hayward in 2012, so bring it on!

pbmax
04-23-2013, 10:39 PM

He also is friends with San Fran's guy and now the Chiefs GM. Actually, I know he worked with and was friendly with the previous 49er GM, but I just read this year he also knew his replacement.

I think he traded with Hoody 12 times in his move up the board draft.

rbaloha1
04-23-2013, 11:34 PM

That is all for now.

appears to be an upgrade over hawk. still rooting for teo.

The Shadow
04-23-2013, 11:42 PM

That is all for now.

I agree.

Fritz
04-24-2013, 06:41 AM
Maybe TT needs to make friends with some more of the GM's in the AFC. Come on, Ted, get your drinking gloves on and get yer ass out there and network, dammit!

pbmax
04-24-2013, 09:11 AM
Tyler Dunne ‏@TyDunne 31m
If you ask him, Datone Jones and Green Bay hit it off. Likes Trgovac a lot. The guy definitely has a personality, plays with some fire.

As someone else mentioned, this feels like Shea McClellin all over again.

rbaloha1
04-24-2013, 09:16 AM
Honey Badger -- upgrade over Mcmillian

Philip Thomas if the pack miss on Eric Reid -- big time hitter and ball hawk

woodbuck27
04-24-2013, 09:21 AM

Bill Belichick is short on picks this draft.

http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/draft/blog/rob-rang/22122456/2013-nfl-draft-new-england-patriots-spotlight

" There's also the possibility of the Patriots flip-flopping and using their early-round picks on a draft-day deal. Starting with the 29th pick, they have three selections within a span of 63 picks (29, 59 and 91). The Patriots do not currently possess any picks, however, in rounds four through six. They do have the 20th and 29th picks of the seventh round. " Fr. LINK Above

rbaloha1
04-24-2013, 09:32 AM
Bill Belichick is short on picks this draft.

http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/draft/blog/rob-rang/22122456/2013-nfl-draft-new-england-patriots-spotlight

" There's also the possibility of the Patriots flip-flopping and using their early-round picks on a draft-day deal. Starting with the 29th pick, they have three selections within a span of 63 picks (29, 59 and 91). The Patriots do not currently possess any picks, however, in rounds four through six. They do have the 20th and 29th picks of the seventh round. " Fr. LINK Above

The Pats supplied the pack with Clay Matthews maybe we should deal with the pats again?

Guiness
04-24-2013, 11:11 AM

A lot of talk about that,
http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2013/04/24/moving-down-continues-to-be-all-the-rage-at-top-of-the-draft/

There's a lot of muttering that this is the worst draft in a decade.
http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/blog/mike-freeman/22122564/gm-worst-nfl-draft-in-past-10-years-or-more
http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2013/04/23/one-gm-says-this-draft-is-historically-bad/

Of course, there's always a sucker in the bunch. After paying $16mil for a guy fresh off ACL surgery, for an encore TB is talking about trading back into the first round
http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2013/04/24/bucs-may-trade-back-into-first-round/

Cheesehead Craig
04-24-2013, 11:31 AM
There's a lot of muttering that this is the worst draft in a decade.
http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/blog/mike-freeman/22122564/gm-worst-nfl-draft-in-past-10-years-or-more
http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2013/04/23/one-gm-says-this-draft-is-historically-bad/

Brian Billick was on KFAN yesterday and stated that this draft is about building quality depth. He also stated that this draft was lacking that eye-popping player like drafts past and that there wasn't a whole lot of separation between a good number of players so a GM has a far less chance of being criticized for reaching for a player due to that.

Thought it was an interesting take by him. He didn't go out and say that it was a bad draft, just that teams are going to get a lot of solid players, if not superstars. He made a comparison that Teo was similar to AJ Hawk, solid and dependable but not a huge playmaker. Perhaps this is a good way to describe the draft... The AJ Hawk draft.

smuggler
04-24-2013, 11:52 AM
The Hawk draft was actually kind of 'meh' as well. However, Hawk is (was) a much better athlete than Te'o, so it's a bit of a broken comparison. The fact that there are players drafted in rounds 3-7 and even UDFAs that will contribute, start, and shine sort of cancels out the sheeple opinion that the draft is bad just because there are no elite QB prospects.

pbmax
04-24-2013, 01:31 PM
Scouts Inc. full mock draft for ESPN. Wilde collected the Packer picks:

If you enjoy mock drafts, Scouts Inc. did a seven-rounder for ESPN Insider. Here are the #Packers eight picks:
Round 1: Matt Elam, S, Florida
Round 2: Montee Ball, RB, Wisconsin
Round 3: David Bakhtiari, OT, Colorado
Round 4: Barrett Jones, OL, Alabama
Round 5: Lavar Edwards, DE, LSU
Round 5: Cobi Hamilton, WR, Arkansas (compensatory pick)
Round 6: Alan Bonner, WR, Jacksonville State
Round 7: Caleb Sturgis, K, Florida

Fritz
04-24-2013, 01:35 PM
I don't think Ted will take a kicker in any of the rounds. Crosby's contract and all. Maybe next year?

smuggler
04-24-2013, 01:59 PM
I wouldn't be too upset with that Scouts, Inc draft. With a name like Bhaktiari, he's bound to be good! Hurp!

woodbuck27
04-24-2013, 02:21 PM
Scouts Inc. full mock draft for ESPN. Wilde collected the Packer picks:

If you enjoy mock drafts, Scouts Inc. did a seven-rounder for ESPN Insider. Here are the #Packers eight picks:
Round 1: Matt Elam, S, Florida
Round 2: Montee Ball, RB, Wisconsin
Round 3: David Bakhtiari, OT, Colorado
Round 4: Barrett Jones, OL, Alabama
Round 5: Lavar Edwards, DE, LSU
Round 5: Cobi Hamilton, WR, Arkansas (compensatory pick)
Round 6: Alan Bonner, WR, Jacksonville State
Round 7: Caleb Sturgis, K, Florida

Did someone's eight year old do that mock? If you really analyze it. It's loaded with holes. It really isn't at all thought out. An honest Mock takes time.

I'm guessing it's an 'any Mock will do'.

The Shadow
04-24-2013, 06:16 PM
Barrett Jones in Round 4?????

rbaloha1
04-24-2013, 06:17 PM

yea makes no sense

pbmax
04-24-2013, 06:28 PM
http://insider.espn.go.com/nfl/draft2013/story/_/id/9202096/2013-nfl-draft-scouts-inc-complete-seven-round-mock-draft

Its a beat writer from each team. The Packers Scout Inc guy is Bill Huber and he isn't bad at all.

pbmax
04-24-2013, 06:33 PM

CBS has him a 3-4th round guy. http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/draft/players/1632207

Bretsky
04-24-2013, 06:36 PM
CBS has him a 3-4th round guy. http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/draft/players/1632207

There are mumblings that his game will not translate to be as effective of a pro as he was a college player. He'd be a dream 4th but I doubt he gets there. If guys like Frederick or Schwenke are there with Jones, it would be interesting to see who TT valued higher

pbmax
04-24-2013, 06:43 PM
There are mumblings that his game will not translate to be as effective of a pro as he was a college player. He'd be a dream 4th but I doubt he gets there. If guys like Frederick or Schwenke are there with Jones, it would be interesting to see who TT valued higher

While I was looking for his Round Grade, I stumbled across Russ Lande comparing him and Frederick. Lande decided he would take the Badger before the New Improved Tide. Preferred to trade athletic for strength and mauling.

http://www.nationalfootballpost.com/Pick-your-Poison-Travis-Frederick-vs-Barrett-Jones.html

red
04-24-2013, 07:43 PM
Tyler Dunne ‏@TyDunne 31m
If you ask him, Datone Jones and Green Bay hit it off. Likes Trgovac a lot. The guy definitely has a personality, plays with some fire.

As someone else mentioned, this feels like Shea McClellin all over again.

the only thing i don't like about the guy is his size. although if he was just 5 or 10 pounds heavier, i would have no concern

maybe the guy needs to skip a coupe days of workouts and eat some more mcdonalds

HarveyWallbangers
04-24-2013, 11:04 PM
I'd take either Frederick or Jones in round 3.

Bretsky
04-24-2013, 11:08 PM
I'd take either Frederick or Jones in round 3.

Agree; I think there is a good chance we can add a very good center in round three. Schwenke....Frederick....Jones....that are all guys who could immediately start for us and give us ten good years and then we can let the others fight it out to put the best players on the field.

The Shadow
04-25-2013, 10:28 AM
I am pretty confident that a center - or a guard who can be converted - will be in the fold soon.

pbmax
04-25-2013, 10:38 AM
Can anyone translate this Tweet for me from Bill Huber at Packer Report

Packer Report
Source close to Robert Woods says he owes "big time" thank you to Barkley's ripfest of Kifin. From fringe R-1 to perhaps before GB at 26.

3irty1
04-25-2013, 10:42 AM
Can anyone translate this Tweet for me from Bill Huber at Packer Report

Packer Report
Source close to Robert Woods says he owes "big time" thank you to Barkley's ripfest of Kifin. From fringe R-1 to perhaps before GB at 26.

pft:

“Kiff kind of suited the play-calling toward Marqise,” Barkley said. “It was rough at times, because defenses kinda knew what was coming. It was sort of predictive. Robert Woods is a great player. . . . You want to be respectful of your coaches, because they are your elders, but when it falls on your shoulders, you probably should get involved.”

pbmax
04-25-2013, 10:46 AM
pft:

“Kiff kind of suited the play-calling toward Marqise,” Barkley said. “It was rough at times, because defenses kinda knew what was coming. It was sort of predictive. Robert Woods is a great player. . . . You want to be respectful of your coaches, because they are your elders, but when it falls on your shoulders, you probably should get involved.”

Got it, Woods was the other WR in that deal. I thought it was about the leadership thing.

3irty1
04-25-2013, 11:05 AM
Lots of people compare Woods to Reggie Wayne. I'd live with that at #26.

rbaloha1
04-25-2013, 11:08 AM
Lots of people compare Woods to Reggie Wayne. I'd live with that at #26.

IMO Woods is overrated. Comparing to Wayne is ridiculous.

Another SC crybaby. Most SC receivers are bust except for Steve Smith. Lee is much better.

The Shadow
04-25-2013, 06:27 PM
Come on. TED!!!!!