PDA

View Full Version : Your Official Packers Draft Wish List

Pages : [1] 2

The Shadow
03-27-2013, 06:46 PM
Every year I seem to go through exactly the same process when draft time nears. Step 1 : I excitedly begin researching eligible players & find they all look terrific. Step 2 : Then, when I begin to notice the flaws, I can't find ANYONE I'd like the Pack to draft. Step 3 : Finally, I revisit the scouting reports, look at any tape I can find - and begin to identify players that seem - at least to me - to be intriguing.
So I thought it might be fun to compile a list of players I'd like the Pack to draft, keeping in mind their round positions - stretching across all rounds. Since their first pick is #26, you will not find the Luke Joeckels & Dee Milliners on the list - just players that the Packers could have reasonable shots at.
These are mine - and I hope you will share yours.

-Margus Hunt, DE, SM : I tend to shy away from the 'athletic freaks' that appear like clockwork each year - but this guy intrigues me. And if he didn't have the nagging negatives (age, experience) - he wouldn't be AVAILABLE at # 26! (if he is, indeed, available).
- A.J. Klein, ILB, Ohio State : just a pure football player.
- Brian Schwenke, C, Cal - nasty & smart.
-Brian Winters, G, Kent State : another pure football player.
-Michael Mauti, OLB, Penn State : instinctive linebacker.
-D.J. Swearinger, S, SC : An intimidator who can bring a physical presence to the secondary.
-Tyler Wilson, QB, Arkansas : a natural leader.
-Bennie Logan, DT, LSU : Overshadowed by teammates, but a relentless worker.
-John Simon, DE, Ohio State : Another pure football player.

Well, there's mine. Yours?

Joemailman
03-27-2013, 06:55 PM
Every year I seem to go through exactly the same process when draft time nears. Step 1 : I excitedly begin researching eligible players & find they all look terrific. Step 2 : Then, when I begin to notice the flaws, I can't find ANYONE I'd like the Pack to draft. Step 3 : Finally, I revisit the scouting reports, look at any tape I can find - and begin to identify players that seem - at least to me - to be intriguing.
So I thought it might be fun to compile a list of players I'd like the Pack to draft, keeping in mind their round positions - stretching across all rounds. Since their first pick is #26, you will not find the Luke Joeckels & Dee Milliners on the list - just players that the Packers could have reasonable shots at.
These are mine - and I hope you will share yours.

-Margus Hunt, DE, SM : I tend to shy away from the 'athletic freaks' that appear like clockwork each year - but this guy intrigues me. And if he didn't have the nagging negatives (age, experience) - he wouldn't be AVAILABLE at # 26! (if he is, indeed, available).
- A.J. Klein, ILB, Ohio State : just a pure football player.
- Brian Schwenke, C, Cal - nasty & smart.
-Brian Winters, G, Kent State : another pure football player.
-Michael Mauti, OLB, Penn State : instinctive linebacker.
-D.J. Swearinger, S, SC : An intimidator who can bring a physical presence to the secondary.
-Tyler Wilson, QB, Arkansas : a natural leader.
-Bennie Logan, DT, LSU : Overshadowed by teammates, but a relentless worker.
-John Simon, DE, Ohio State : Another pure football player.

Well, there's mine. Yours?

A.J. Klein is from Iowa State, not Ohio State. Too bad. That would have made great conversation if TT could draft a LB from Ohio State named A.J. who is big on intangibles but maybe not an exceptional athlete.

The Shadow
03-27-2013, 06:56 PM
Oops!

Joemailman
03-27-2013, 07:26 PM
Some guys I like:

Jesse Williams - DT - Alabama. Awesomely strong guy with upside as he's only been playing football a few years. Would be a great eventual replacement for Pickett.

Montee Ball - RB - Wisconsin. Not real fast, but quick enough, and just a damn good all-around RB.

Shawn Williams - SS - Georgia. Stout, tough safety

Vance McDonald - TE - Rice. Big enough to line up as an in-line TE, but can also split out wide.

pittstang5
03-27-2013, 07:52 PM
I haven't even started my draft research yet, but I have a couple guys I remember from the Senior Bowl / Combine. Don't know where they'll go yet, but I think they are "Packer People."

Shamarko Thomas - SS - Syracuse

Quinton Patten - WR - LA Tech ( To replace Jennings)

Ziggy Ansah - DE - BYU He's projected as a DE, but I think he could play OLB in a 3-4. He's raw, but his potential is through the roof.

One Wish - a protypical, 5-technique DE (You know, 6' 5", 290 - 300 lbs)

Old School
03-27-2013, 07:52 PM
I think if Margus Hunt has the right kind of nonstop motor to go with those physical skills he's worth a shot. Could have an unlimited cieling.

A J Klein seems like a blue collar high effort player that can have some real value.

I think we need to draft a safety, but I have mixed emotions as to which one in particular.

woodbuck27
03-27-2013, 08:17 PM
I haven't even started my draft research yet, but I have a couple guys I remember from the Senior Bowl / Combine. Don't know where they'll go yet, but I think they are "Packer People."

Ziggy Ansah - DE - BYU He's projected as a DE, but I think he could play OLB in a 3-4. He's raw, but his potential is through the roof.

"Ziggy Ansah - DE - BYU He's projected as a DE, but I think he could play OLB in a 3-4. He's raw, but his potential is through the roof. " pittstang5

DE Ezekiel Ansah ranked as the #3 DE now. He'll likely go Top Ten and on the outside Top 15.

http://www.nfldraftscout.com/ratings/dsprofile.php?pyid=91923&draftyear=2013&genpos=DE

Shamarko Thomas - SS - Syracuse is the #3 Ranked SS. Projected Rd. 2-3.

http://www.nfldraftscout.com/ratings/dsprofile.php?pyid=96944&draftyear=2013&genpos=SS

WR Quinton Patten - Louisiana Tech is the #6 Ranked WR. Projected Rd. 2.

http://www.nfldraftscout.com/ratings/dsprofile.php?pyid=111172&draftyear=2013&genpos=WR

Bretsky
03-27-2013, 08:35 PM
I'll make my list soon...........but Shadow........nice call on Brian Schwenke.......I've been thinking for months he is a perfect fit in GB for many years to come

ND72
03-27-2013, 08:40 PM
I love the Wisconsin boy AJ Klein, but we won't take him. He fits a 3-4 ILB position, and we have Hawk, Bishop, Jones making WAY too much, Smith, and the other dude Fracious or whatever. We will not draft ILB.

I also like Mike Taylor at the OLB, and could get him 6/7 rounds, maybe UDFA.

The Shadow
03-27-2013, 09:54 PM
Looking forward to seeing other lists!

OS PA
03-27-2013, 10:19 PM
Marcus Lattimore - RB -South Carolina - He's going to be a steal in the 2nd or 3rd round, but I think someone will take him early second.
Laveon Bell - RB - Michigan State - This is the kid that everyone is looking past, but could have an immediate impact on a team looking for a 3 down back. I hated playing MSU because of him.
Justin Hunter - WR - Tennessee - The second best WR on the team, but the best potential pro, and I think the best WR prospect in this draft. He's got the size, the hands, the speed, and is floating lower on the radar, because he's just two years removed from a seroius injury.
Travis Frederick - C - Wisconsin - A Wisconsin lineman. That's all you really need to say.
We're gonna draft that ESPN featured kid from Chadron State at Guard, Just so you know. Garrett Gilkey.
Bacarri Rambo - S - Georgia - I don't care if the kid can play. He's Rambo.
Jamie Collins - OLB - Southern Miss - We need athletes at the OLB position. If you have the athletic ability to cover a TE, you can be taught to rush the passer.
Michael Buchanan - OLB - Southern Miss - Another athletic OLB.
William Gholston - OLB - Michigan State

Much like the NCAA Men's Basketball Tourny this year, it doesn't look like there are many outstanding, can't miss, stud players outside of the top 10, but there are ALOT of solid players in the middle to late rounds of this draft. I think we'll see some late-round steals show up this year and next.

The Shadow
03-28-2013, 01:11 PM

I don't think Ansah will be there at 26.

Cheesehead Craig
03-28-2013, 04:12 PM
Hot cheerleaders with big titties. Wish list every year.

pbmax
03-28-2013, 04:57 PM
I love the Wisconsin boy AJ Klein, but we won't take him. He fits a 3-4 ILB position, and we have Hawk, Bishop, Jones making WAY too much, Smith, and the other dude Fracious or whatever. We will not draft ILB.

I also like Mike Taylor at the OLB, and could get him 6/7 rounds, maybe UDFA.

I dunno. I think Jones money signals they don't know what they have back there. I could see an ILB pick easy. Young and cheap, just like Ted likes them.

swede
03-28-2013, 05:36 PM
I dunno. I think Jones money signals they don't know what they have back there. I could see an ILB pick easy. Young and cheap, just like Ted likes them.

There have been so many parallels between Red's dating life and Ted's GMing today.

The Shadow
03-28-2013, 08:46 PM

I think A.J. Klein might fill that niche.

George Cumby
03-28-2013, 09:00 PM
I really want Margus Hunt. Just a feeling.

Fritz
03-29-2013, 06:34 AM
"I dunno. I think Jones money signals they don't know what they have back there. I could see an ILB pick easy. Young and cheap, just like Ted likes them."

"There have been so many parallels between Red's dating life and Ted's GMing today."

"I think A.J. Klein might fill that niche."

Which niche???

As for me, Shadow, you've forgotten step four: choose a couple players you love, watch other teams take them, get really, really bummed, then watch those players fade away while Ted's fifth-round pick develops into a starter.

So...these are my guys:

Barrett Jones

Margus Hunt

That big, hulking Ohio State defensive lineman, because we need to develop B.J. Raji's replacement. And we need depth in the meantime.

That Cyprien kid, the safety.

So if Ted's got four late-first/early-to-mid-second round picks, all my dreams could come true. And if they did, those players would probably end up sucking. Just ask Bretsky.

Joemailman
03-29-2013, 06:48 AM
Everything now points to TT taking a big D-lineman with the 1st pick. Raji and Pickett entering the final year of their contract, and it's a good year for big D-linemen

Fritz
03-29-2013, 07:28 AM
Everything now points to TT taking a big D-lineman with the 1st pick. Raji and Pickett entering the final year of their contract, and it's a good year for big D-linemen

This I would really love to see. In fact, I wouldn't mind seeing Ted take a big, hulking D-tackle and a more prototypically-sized 3-4 DE in the first three rounds.

My thinking is that the Pickett/Raji years might be drawing to a close, and, anyway, taking a safety early isn't any guarantee that that pick could step right in and start. Safety is a position that seems to take time to learn, Harrison Smith notwithstanding.

I'd also like to see a center taken fairly early - somewhere between rounds two and four - so that player can develop. My guess is that it'd be too much to ask a rook to run the whole offensive line, but a polished center could take over after one year of Erectile Dysfunction-Smith.

A safety, and ILB, a running back - that's six positions I'd like to see addressed, Teddy.

woodbuck27
03-29-2013, 07:29 AM
I'll make my list soon...........but Shadow........nice call on Brian Schwenke.......I've been thinking for months he is a perfect fit in GB for many years to come

Center - Brian Schwenke; California Pac-12 NFL.COM ** GRADE = 71.0

http://www.nfl.com/draft/2013/profiles/brian-schwenke?id=2540216

** GRADE's For Other Centers:

Travis Frederick - Center - 6'4" 312 - Wisconsin - GRADE 78.7

Khaled Holmes - Center - 6'3" 302 - USC - GRADE 71.0

Graham Pocic - Center - 6'7" - 310 lbs - Illinois - GRADE 62.5

Mario Benavides - Center - 6'3" - 290 lbs - Louisville - GRADE 62.0

Dalton Freeman - Center - 6'5" - 285 lbs - Clemson - GRADE 60.1

Another View At Center:

http://www.nfldraftscout.com/ratings/probe.php?genpos=C&draftyear=2013&sortby=tsxpos&order=ASC

GO PACKERS !

woodbuck27
03-29-2013, 08:06 AM

That's my analysis.

When the table offers a great steak do you choose a pork chop? Now for just a little while, imagine your not living in the real world and this table was presented to you.

I just found this from NFL.Com's Big Board. It's not a Mock Draft.

http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/draft/story/21959496/big-board-top-skills-moving-to-trenches-in-linemanrich-draft

In this example the Green Bay Packers get Dion Jordan, DE/OLB, Oregon if every team selected the player in order from this board.

"26. Dion Jordan, DE/OLB, Oregon:

At a rangy 6-6, 248 pounds, Jordan's length and explosiveness off the edge make him a matchup nightmare for opponents and he proved every bit the must-see athlete at the combine, as expected. Unfortunately, while this Jordan might be able to "fly" in shorts like Mike, he hasn't been as productive as his athleticism would indicate. Jordan has struggled with various injuries throughout his career and this troubling tendency again arose at the combine where he announced that he would have to undergo surgery prior to the draft to repair a torn labrum. "

a) Would you like that gift? I'd be estatic.

The good fortune continues... What has the magic genie left to offer you here!?

Take a look at what's available at positions #55 Brandon Williams, DT, Missouri Southern and #56 Sylvester Williams, DT, North Carolina.

b) Which of those two fellas would you choose, if you had to make that choice?

GO PACKERS !

run pMc
03-29-2013, 09:15 AM
GB's picks are:
Round 1, 26th (overall)
Round 2, 55th
Round 3, 88th
Round 4, 122nd
Round 5, 159th
Round 5, 167th (comp.)
Round 6, 193rd
Round 7, 232nd

If TT doesn't trade up or down (a 'big if' IMO) I could see the draft falling like this:
R1 - Jesse Williams DT
R2 - Robert Woods, Q.Patton, or M.Wheaton WR
R3 - Gavin Escobar TE
R4 - Chase Thomas OLB
R5 - Tony Jefferson S
R5 - Kwame Geathers DE
R6 - Jeff Baca OL (listed as G, but has played some C & T)
R7 - Kyle Juszczyk FB

*** Not exactly my wish list, and something tells me there could be a CB drafted in there somewhere, but I think this will be a balanced draft in terms of offense/defense.
(Anyone think TT will draft offense-heavy like 2011 or defense-heavy like 2012?)

Wish list would be for DT, DE, OG/C (ideally someone who can play both and challenge/backup EDS), OLB to push Perry, WR to develop behind the current group, and an athletic TE to replace Finley.
They also need improvement at RB and S, and might need depth at CB depending on what happens with Tramon and Sam Shields over the next 12 months. Would TT cut Tramon to make cap room to sign Raji?

How players coming off IR (Quarless, Bishop, Sherrod, Smith, Richardson, Saine) respond will really help shape the gameday roster.

run pMc
03-29-2013, 09:20 AM
a) Would you like that gift? I'd be estatic.

The good fortune continues... What has the magic genie left to offer you here!?

Take a look at what's available at positions #55 Brandon Williams, DT, Missouri Southern and #56 Sylvester Williams, DT, North Carolina.

Dion Jordan at #26? Yeah, I'd take that if I were TT. He's big, can rush the passer and play some coverage. We don't know if CM3 or Perry can hold up for 16+ games so having another quality OLB (with apologies to Moses and whoever else we have, not on the Zombo bandwagon) for Kevin Greene would be a plus.

b) Which of those two fellas would you choose, if you had to make that choice?

I'd take Sylvester Williams, just barely though since I don't know much about either. (Bigger conference bias, plus I think I saw a mock draft that had him in Round 1.)

Fritz
03-29-2013, 10:05 AM
I think a nose tackle, a defensive end, a linebacker (inside? outside?), a center, a safety, and a running back would all be important position picks for me.

smuggler
03-29-2013, 10:20 AM
If Dion Jordan fell 20 spots into our laps, yes we'd take him. He won't plunge like that. He'll be a top-10 guy, IMO.

woodbuck27
03-29-2013, 10:21 AM
Dion Jordan at #26? Yeah, I'd take that if I were TT. He's big, can rush the passer and play some coverage. We don't know if CM3 or Perry can hold up for 16+ games so having another quality OLB (with apologies to Moses and whoever else we have, not on the Zombo bandwagon) for Kevin Greene would be a plus.

I'd take Sylvester Williams, just barely though since I don't know much about either. (Bigger conference bias, plus I think I saw a mock draft that had him in Round 1.)

Dion Jordan: Remember ... we're not in the real world.

http://www.nfldraftscout.com/ratings/dsprofile.php?pyid=83290&draftyear=2013&genpos=DE

What a player!

Sylverter Williams (better speed) VS Brandon Williams (Superior Strength - He's very strong; see Star Lotulelei). I believe it comes down to the proper fit RE: scheme and future plans.

woodbuck27
03-29-2013, 10:25 AM
If Dion Jordan fell 20 spots into our laps, yes we'd take him. He won't plunge like that. He'll be a top-10 guy, IMO.

It's a decent bet to believe Dion Jordan goes TOP FIVE.

Fritz
03-29-2013, 01:50 PM
I wonder who will fall. The linebacker from Georgia, maybe, the one with the health/neck issue?

woodbuck27
03-29-2013, 03:08 PM
GB's picks are:
Round 1, 26th (overall)
Round 2, 55th
Round 3, 88th
Round 4, 122nd
Round 5, 159th
Round 5, 167th (comp.)
Round 6, 193rd
Round 7, 232nd

If TT doesn't trade up or down (a 'big if' IMO) I could see the draft falling like this:
R1 - Jesse Williams DT
R3 - Gavin Escobar TE
R4 - Chase Thomas OLB
R5 - Tony Jefferson S
R5 - Kwame Geathers DE
R7 - Kyle Juszczyk FB

*** Not exactly my wish list, and something tells me there could be a CB drafted in there somewhere, but I think this will be a balanced draft in terms of offense/defense.
(Anyone think TT will draft offense-heavy like 2011 or defense-heavy like 2012?)

Wish list would be for DT, DE, OG/C (ideally someone who can play both and challenge/backup EDS), OLB to push Perry, WR to develop behind the current group, and an athletic TE to replace Finley.
They also need improvement at RB and S, and might need depth at CB depending on what happens with Tramon and Sam Shields over the next 12 months. Would TT cut Tramon to make cap room to sign Raji?

How players coming off IR (Quarless, Bishop, Sherrod, Smith, Richardson, Saine) respond will really help shape the gameday roster.

R1 - Jesse Williams DT
R3 - Gavin Escobar TE
R4 - Chase Thomas OLB
R5 - Tony Jefferson S
R5 - Kwame Geathers DE
R7 - Kyle Juszczyk FB

Finally someone has stepped up with a real effort at a pick by pick sample draft. I believe this is the first I've seen here this off season. CONGRATULATIONS.

Now I'll take a look at your effort/thinking.

GO PACK GO !

Rutnstrut
03-29-2013, 05:33 PM
How about a GM?

The Shadow
03-30-2013, 01:48 PM
I think if Margus Hunt has the right kind of nonstop motor to go with those physical skills he's worth a shot. Could have an unlimited cieling.

A J Klein seems like a blue collar high effort player that can have some real value.

I think we need to draft a safety, but I have mixed emotions as to which one in particular.

I'd be quite happy with those 2 plus a safety.

smuggler
03-30-2013, 01:50 PM
How about a GM?

Blooo blooo. Waaah! We haven't won a SB in 2 whole seasons!! Grow a pair, dude.

The Shadow
03-31-2013, 03:24 PM
SS Philip Thomas is now on the radar. An instinctive playmaker who will be drafted lower than he should be due to injury concerns.

Bretsky
03-31-2013, 07:22 PM
I wonder who will fall. The linebacker from Georgia, maybe, the one with the health/neck issue?

LB for Georgia....incredible talent...questionable person

Now there is a guy you know Bretsky will like

He might not quite be as talented as Odell Smash Mouth Thurman though !!!

red
03-31-2013, 07:52 PM
LB for Georgia....incredible talent...questionable person

Now there is a guy you know Bretsky will like

He might not quite be as talented as Odell Smash Mouth Thurman though !!!

i think you two are talking about two different Georga Lb'ers

i'm pretty sure he's talking about jarvis jones, the big time prospect with neck issues and suspect workout numbers

i think you're talking about alec ogletree, the bigtime prospect with many multiple off field issues

woodbuck27
04-01-2013, 01:09 PM
i think you two are talking about two different Georga Lb'ers

i'm pretty sure he's talking about jarvis jones, the big time prospect with neck issues and suspect workout numbers

i think you're talking about alec ogletree, the bigtime prospect with many multiple off field issues

My thinking.

Can we clean this up by not wanting either one of them? I'm just about to get started on my picks for this draft. I'll be retreating to my cave to get that done.

PACKERS !

run pMc
04-02-2013, 09:04 AM

R1 - Jesse Williams DT
R3 - Gavin Escobar TE
R4 - Chase Thomas OLB
R5 - Tony Jefferson S
R5 - Kwame Geathers DE
R7 - Kyle Juszczyk FB

Finally someone has stepped up with a real effort at a pick by pick sample draft. I believe this is the first I've seen here this off season. CONGRATULATIONS.

Now I'll take a look at your effort/thinking.

I probably could have put a half-dozen disclaimers on this -- it's not my dream draft, I'm not a college football or draft guru, etc. I was throwing out one possible way the draft could fall for GB. My dream draft would look different, and I'm sure there will be one or two headscratchers from TT's work.

Can we clean this up by not wanting either one of them? I'm just about to get started on my picks for this draft. I'll be retreating to my cave to get that done.

I look forward to the results of your work.

As for Jones and Ogletree, I like them, but they are such risky picks (medical, character) in R1 that I'd be inclined to look elsewhere. I think they are too talented to fall all the way to 55 in R2. Let's say GB has a chance to trade up to pick 40 and one or both are available. Would you pull the trigger if you were GM?

woodbuck27
04-02-2013, 10:32 AM
I probably could have put a half-dozen disclaimers on this -- it's not my dream draft, I'm not a college football or draft guru, etc. I was throwing out one possible way the draft could fall for GB. My dream draft would look different, and I'm sure there will be one or two headscratchers from TT's work.

I look forward to the results of your work.

As for Jones and Ogletree, I like them, but they are such risky picks (medical, character) in R1 that I'd be inclined to look elsewhere. I think they are too talented to fall all the way to 55 in R2. Let's say GB has a chance to trade up to pick 40 and one or both are available. Would you pull the trigger if you were GM?

Hi run pMc:

"I probably could have put a half-dozen disclaimers on this" run pMc

" I look forward to the results of your work." run pMc

Hey run pMc... you invested alot of time getting that done. Some of us have done the same in other off seasons. It's an interesting exercise. Of course, you leave yourself wide open to critique. Covering you ass with a disclaimer is too cool Packer fan. In reality, compared to what Ted Thompson will do. I'm positive that we'll all be wrong. The thing is ...you did it which is commendable.

I got started yesterday and it got down to looking at all our needs. Where does filling them start in terms of a primary/priority focus and round by round picks?

We read that it begins and ends in terms of investing that first round pick on the DL or OL. There's proof available that contradicts this premise. I believe the smart person drafts best picking the best player available and ignores need. That certainly works for Ted Thompson and the Green Bay Packers in this draft. It fits his general philosophy as well.

Twenty of our members might do what you did. None of us get close to what Ted Thompson will pick for our Rookie Crop. Ted Thompson has his Draft Board set and ready; except for some possible minor tweeking... it's done. All that's left now and and certainly begins with April's Fools Day; is the lieing and deceit. Politely, the simple diversions from the truth. We'll read tons of that over the course of the next three weeks on behalf of many NFL teams. We've arrived at 'don't believe anything' time.

So you did your thing. As I find the time I'll try do mine. We do that so that others will invest their time to legitimately critique us. It's an exercise in expansion and growth for this board in terms of general Green Bay Packer and overall NFL knowledge. To help make Packerrats 'the best' NFL team fan board.

I post here for one primary reason. To help Packerrats grow. To grow myself as a Green Bay Packer and NFL fan. It can become infectious and as a primary focus for me ... enjoyable.

"As for Jones and Ogletree, I like them, but they are such risky picks (medical, character) in R1 that I'd be inclined to look elsewhere. I think they are too talented to fall all the way to 55 in R2. Let's say GB has a chance to trade up to pick 40 and one or both are available. Would you pull the trigger if you were GM?" run pMc

OLB Jarvis Jones and ILB Alec Ogletree both fr. Georgia. These fellas grade out in the group 15-30best prospects. Personally regarding both it's a ..... 'so what'.

It's all a crap shoot. All the same ... as a primary focus. I'd look for the proper attitude/intelligence and skill set level as a fit for my Big Board. I'd ensure that a prospect would sincerely enjoy playing for the Green Bay Packers.

Jarvis Jones and Alec Ogletree?

I'll let some other NFL teams commit to both of them. I'd choose safer options as my best prospects in round 1.

GO PACK GO !

3irty1
04-02-2013, 02:31 PM
Hi run pMc:

"I probably could have put a half-dozen disclaimers on this" run pMc

" I look forward to the results of your work." run pMc

Hey run pMc... you invested alot of time getting that done. Some of us have done the same in other off seasons. It's an interesting exercise. Of course, you leave yourself wide open to critique. Covering you ass with a disclaimer is too cool Packer fan. In reality, compared to what Ted Thompson will do. I'm positive that we'll all be wrong. The thing is ...you did it which is commendable.

I got started yesterday and it got down to looking at all our needs. Where does filling them start in terms of a primary/priority focus and round by round picks?

We read that it begins and ends in terms of investing that first round pick on the DL or OL. There's proof available that contradicts this premise. I believe the smart person drafts best picking the best player available and ignores need. That certainly works for Ted Thompson and the Green Bay Packers in this draft. It fits his general philosophy as well.

Twenty of our members might do what you did. None of us get close to what Ted Thompson will pick for our Rookie Crop. Ted Thompson has his Draft Board set and ready; except for some possible minor tweeking... it's done. All that's left now and and certainly begins with April's Fools Day; is the lieing and deceit. Politely, the simple diversions from the truth. We'll read tons of that over the course of the next three weeks on behalf of many NFL teams. We've arrived at 'don't believe anything' time.

So you did your thing. As I find the time I'll try do mine. We do that so that others will invest their time to legitimately critique us. It's an exercise in expansion and growth for this board in terms of general Green Bay Packer and overall NFL knowledge. To help make Packerrats 'the best' NFL team fan board.

I post here for one primary reason. To help Packerrats grow. To grow myself as a Green Bay Packer and NFL fan. It can become infectious and as a primary focus for me ... enjoyable.

"As for Jones and Ogletree, I like them, but they are such risky picks (medical, character) in R1 that I'd be inclined to look elsewhere. I think they are too talented to fall all the way to 55 in R2. Let's say GB has a chance to trade up to pick 40 and one or both are available. Would you pull the trigger if you were GM?" run pMc

OLB Jarvis Jones and ILB Alec Ogletree both fr. Georgia. These fellas grade out in the group 15-30best prospects. Personally regarding both it's a ..... 'so what'.

It's all a crap shoot. All the same ... as a primary focus. I'd look for the proper attitude/intelligence and skill set level as a fit for my Big Board. I'd ensure that a prospect would sincerely enjoy playing for the Green Bay Packers.

Jarvis Jones and Alec Ogletree?

I'll let some other NFL teams commit to both of them. I'd choose safer options as my best prospects in round 1.

GO PACK GO !

I'd be surprised of Jarvis Jones was even on Ted Thompson's board. Seems like we are one of the very most conservative teams when it comes to player injuries and his is probably a deal breaker.

smuggler
04-02-2013, 04:16 PM
We also happen to be the most snakebitten team when it comes to neck injuries and stenosis in particular.

Fritz
04-02-2013, 05:45 PM
How about a GM?

Great idea! Maybe like that one in Detroit - he's signed a bunch of free agents!....or Chicago....or Minnesota....or Miami....or Buffalo...or New England, where they haven't won a Super Bowl in what, almost ten years? Or like that guy in Washington. He signs tons of free agents almost every year! Or wait, maybe that guy in Dallas. Or the one in Atlanta. They seem great every year and they've won...er, okay. But how about the New Orleans GM? He's great, they won a SB in '09. No, wait, that GM in San Francisco was awesome, he's won....how many has he won, that GM? No, wait, I got it. Ozzie Newsome. He wins one once every thirteen or so years, right?

Dumbass.

woodbuck27
04-02-2013, 10:06 PM
Great idea! Maybe like that one in Detroit - he's signed a bunch of free agents!....or Chicago....or Minnesota....or Miami....or Buffalo...or New England, where they haven't won a Super Bowl in what, almost ten years? Or like that guy in Washington. He signs tons of free agents almost every year! Or wait, maybe that guy in Dallas. Or the one in Atlanta. They seem great every year and they've won...er, okay. But how about the New Orleans GM? He's great, they won a SB in '09. No, wait, that GM in San Francisco was awesome, he's won....how many has he won, that GM? No, wait, I got it. Ozzie Newsome. He wins one once every thirteen or so years, right?

Dumbass.

Were you eating rich chocolat? ;-)

woodbuck27
04-02-2013, 10:41 PM

I'll drop this here:

http://bleacherreport.com/tb/da577?utm_source=newsletter&utm_medium=newsletter&utm_campaign=nfl

Does Jarvis Jones lack the speed to be elite in NFL?

By Dan Hanzus ... Around the League Writer

Published: April 2, 2013 at 09:26 p.m. Updated: April 2, 2013 at 10:26 p.m

Comment woodbuck27:

This isn't going to help Jarvis Jones Draft stock:

" Going to drop Jarvis Jones out of first round. Not sure he's a first-round talent. #NFLDraft.

- Gil Brandt (@Gil_Brandt) " April 2, 2013

wist43
04-03-2013, 02:41 AM
I keep coming back to the same guys... by way of where these guys are generally ranked, I would love to see a draft that could come away with these guys in the first few rounds.

1. Margus Hunt (think he'll be gone by 26)
2. Trade down
3. Brian Schwenke (C)
3. Brandon Williams (DT/DE)
4. Kiko Alonso (ILB)

I like Alonso a lot... assuming he can put on another 15 lbs, he has the movement skills and athleticism to be an impact player. Williams is a big, strong DE/DT who can eat up snaps and eat up blocks. Schwenke has some size, an NFL body, and can give as good as he gets in the trenches.

I'd like to see us get bigger and tougher in the trenches; and bigger and more athletic at ILB... just as soon cut bait with Hawk.

smuggler
04-03-2013, 03:24 AM
Hunt won't be gone by 26. If he goes in the 1st round, I will be surprised, tbh.

packrulz
04-03-2013, 04:21 AM
Lately I'm becoming more convinced that the BPA at 26 will be a DT or DE, guys like Sylvester Williams, DT
North Carolina, Johnathan Hankins, DT Ohio State, Jesse Williams, DT Alabama, Kawann Short, DT
Purdue, Datone Jones, DE, UCLA, Damontre Moore, DE, Texas A&M, Alex Okafor, DE, Texas, & Margus Hunt, DE, SMU will still be there. Oregon linebacker Kiko Alonso might be a sleeper pick in the 3rd round, http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/draft/blog/rob-rang/21995987/doctor-oregon-lb-alonsos-wrist-has-healed

pittstang5
04-03-2013, 06:52 AM
Lately I'm becoming more convinced that the BPA at 26 will be a DT or DE

Just doing some pre-lim research, needs of the other teams and considering TT tendencies - yeah, I'm started to think that too.

Some mock drafts have the Packers taking a RB - Lacy or Ball. I just don't see TT taking a RB in the first. The Packers need front 7 help on defense and those positions are the ones I think TT is going to look at in the first round.

Fritz
04-03-2013, 07:15 AM
I suppose it always comes down to the question of which player would help the team more. For us, we tend to think of it by position (I do, mostly), but for TT it is sometimes "Will this running back, whom I think will be great, help us more than this defensive end, whom I think will be slightly above-average?"

Having said that, I'm hoping for a defensive lineman, Pitt.

3irty1
04-03-2013, 08:08 AM
I keep coming back to the same guys... by way of where these guys are generally ranked, I would love to see a draft that could come away with these guys in the first few rounds.

2. Trade down
3. Brian Schwenke (C)
4. Kiko Alonso (ILB)

I like Alonso a lot... assuming he can put on another 15 lbs, he has the movement skills and athleticism to be an impact player. Williams is a big, strong DE/DT who can eat up snaps and eat up blocks. Schwenke has some size, an NFL body, and can give as good as he gets in the trenches.

I'd like to see us get bigger and tougher in the trenches; and bigger and more athletic at ILB... just as soon cut bait with Hawk.

You'd easily find a partner for that 2nd round pick. The 2nd round and 3rd rounds are stacked this year. Very deep draft, I'm surprised you couldn't find someone you liked.

smuggler
04-03-2013, 09:08 AM
I agree, 3irty1. In fact, if anything, if we really love Hunt, we should trade down from 26 and then trade up back into the 2nd or 3rd for a fourth or perhaps fifth player in the top 3 rounds.

woodbuck27
04-03-2013, 09:11 AM
Lately I'm becoming more convinced that the BPA at 26 will be a DT or DE, guys like Sylvester Williams, DT
North Carolina, Johnathan Hankins, DT Ohio State, Jesse Williams, DT Alabama, Kawann Short, DT
Purdue, Datone Jones, DE, UCLA, Damontre Moore, DE, Texas A&M, Alex Okafor, DE, Texas, & Margus Hunt, DE, SMU will still be there. Oregon linebacker Kiko Alonso might be a sleeper pick in the 3rd round, http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/draft/blog/rob-rang/21995987/doctor-oregon-lb-alonsos-wrist-has-healed

If we're talking athleticism and pick #26 and no reach and a defensive lineman.

Johnathan Hankins isn't a good option where there will be some. Why!? Because of his conditioning, common sense in terms of endurance and whether or not his motivations are properly focused. This guy is slow. I'm seeing that on NFL.Com he's ranked at #26 on their Big Board. I trust that TT's Big Board has him slotted down in the high 30's - low 40's or not at all.

RE: Round 1 Pick #26:

I like DE Damontre Moore, Texas A&M but he would have to fall to us.

DE's Datone Jones, UCLA; Cornellius Carridine, Florida State and Alex Okafor, Texas will give us good options.

DT Jesse Williams, Alabama is a solid option at pick #26.

Round 2 Pick #55:

DT's John Jenkins, Georgia; Kawann Short, Purdue and Sylvester Williams, N. Carolina are all options for TT's Round 2 Pick #55.

woodbuck27
04-03-2013, 10:08 AM

2. Trade down
3. Brian Schwenke (C)
4. Kiko Alonso (ILB)

You have Margus Hunt rated that high. WOW!

I was thinking that posters were simply getting emotional about this prospect. I need to study him more.

Brandon Williams, DT/DE, Missouri Southern St. is a good option in Round 3 Pick #88. This fella is strong if your considering a good prospect on the defensive line and as late as Round 3.

Check him out:

http://www.nfldraftscout.com/ratings/dsprofile.php?pyid=97516&draftyear=2013&genpos=DT

As an option and Center...I'm looking at:

Brian Schwenke, California or Khaled Holmes, USC in Round 4 pick #122.

ILB Kiko Alonso, Oregon is someone I'd look at as an option to make us tougher. With so many of the prospects in this draft he does have issues. An unusual number of prospects in this draft have health/injury Red Flags. In some cases it's more. You can check that out for yourself and Kiko Alonso. It appears to me that this player is cleared to go in terms of a health risk.

I don't care who you draft as long as that prospect is absolutely sold on becoming a Green Bay Packer in terms of that being an honor. That that same football player has an outstanding character. Is solidly motivated, overall positive. Possesses leadership qualities and/or is a solid team player.

http://www.nfldraftscout.com/ratings/dsprofile.php?pyid=81729&draftyear=2013&genpos=ILB

If you really really love Kiko Alonso you might pick him in Round 3 pick #88.

If he's there in Round 4 pick #122 ILB (OLB) Kiko Alonso might be more seriously considered as a bargain.

GO PACKERS !

wist43
04-03-2013, 11:49 AM
Hunt won't be gone by 26. If he goes in the 1st round, I will be surprised, tbh.

And here I'd be surprised if he was there. His upside is off the charts... he'll be drafted higher than his actual production would warrant.

pittstang5
04-03-2013, 12:32 PM
And here I'd be surprised if he was there. His upside is off the charts... he'll be drafted higher than his actual production would warrant.

That's what I love/hate about the NFL draft. Players are sometimes drafted very early due to potential alone or "wowed" at the Combine (Bruce Irvin last year comes to mind).

Hunt is really starting to grow on me. If he's there in the 1st when TT picks and takes him. I won't be upset.

wist43
04-03-2013, 12:34 PM

I was thinking that posters were simply getting emotional about this prospect. I need to study him more.

Brandon Williams, DT/DE, Missouri Southern St. is a good option in Round 3 Pick #88. This fella is strong if your considering a good prospect on the defensive line and as late as Round 3.

Check him out:

http://www.nfldraftscout.com/ratings/dsprofile.php?pyid=97516&draftyear=2013&genpos=DT

ILB Kiko Alonso, Oregon is someone I'd look at as an option to make us tougher. With so many of the prospects in this draft he does have issues. An unusual number of prospects in this draft have health/injury Red Flags. In some cases it's more. You can check that out for yourself and Kiko Alonso. It appears to me that this player is cleared to go in terms of a health risk.

I don't care who you draft as long as that prospect is absolutely sold on becoming a Green Bay Packer in terms of that being an honor. That that same football player has an outstanding character. Is solidly motivated, overall positive. Possesses leadership qualities and/or is a solid team player.

http://www.nfldraftscout.com/ratings/dsprofile.php?pyid=81729&draftyear=2013&genpos=ILB

If he's there in Round 4 pick #122 ILB (OLB) Kiko Alonso might be more seriously considered as a bargain.

GO PACKERS !

The list I put together would require some moving around, but that's how I'd approach it. Target the players you like, assess their value relative to where you think they'll go, and move around to get there. I think TT will just sit where he's at and take BPA.

I see our OL/DL's as being fatally weak. Power teams just beat us into the ground, and we are powerless to do anything about it. I'd much rather have Brandon Williams in the 3rd, than Monte Ball in the 2nd.

If we shored up C, DE/DT, and ILB?? I'd say we're right back to being a threat for the SB; but I don't think TT and MM see either line as a weakness. They could easily rationalize that EDS is a legit, full season starting C; and that Newhouse will improve, or that Sherrod will actually get on the field and produce (not holding my breath on either); or that playing a 2-4 nickel as your base defense is actually a good idea; or that AJ Hawk will be involved in a turnover play one of these years - more of what we had last year.

TT and MM are always preaching improve from within... coach a guy up, get him in the offseason conditioning program, and fill your holes that way - only problem is, I don't see the answers to our problem positions on the roster.

wist43
04-03-2013, 12:46 PM
That's what I love/hate about the NFL draft. Players are sometimes drafted very early due to potential alone or "wowed" at the Combine (Bruce Irvin last year comes to mind).

Hunt is really starting to grow on me. If he's there in the 1st when TT picks and takes him. I won't be upset.

When I look at Hunt I see a kid who has only been playing the game for a few years, so he's learning the game and growing into his body... at 6'8" he's got plenty of frame to pack on another 20 lbs.

So imagine Hunt at 305-310 lbs, a year or two in an NFL offseason program, and some solid NFL coaching??

He could be a guy who impacts like JJ Watt and Julius Peppers. Even if it takes a year or two to get him developed, I don't think you pass on a guy with that kind of upside.

Patler
04-03-2013, 01:21 PM
Watching his gangly play and long-striding somewhat loping running style in pursuit of runners immediately reminded me of a very short term Packer - Ted Hendricks. Like Hendricks, he grabs people and flings them around with his long arms.

Not saying he will be a HOF'er like Hendricks, but he has many of the same mannerisms in his play. (Hendricks was called "The Mad Stork" and "The Stork" for a reason!)

I wonder if he can block kicks like Hendricks did?

wist43
04-03-2013, 01:32 PM
Watching his gangly play and long-striding somewhat loping running style in pursuit of runners immediately reminded me of a very short term Packer - Ted Hendricks. Like Hendricks, he grabs people and flings them around with his long arms.

Not saying he will be a HOF'er like Hendricks, but he has many of the same mannerisms in his play. (Hendricks was called "The Mad Stork" and "The Stork" for a reason!)

I wonder if he can block kicks like Hendricks did?

He actually blocked seven kicks his first year - one short of the NCAA record, and another 3 in 2010.

To be sure, Hunt is raw. He's only been playing the game since 2009... but starting from scratch, he has improved every year to the point where you can now see him as a legit NFL DL.

If the Packers want to catch up to the Niners?? They're going to have to get bigger, faster, and more physical in their front seven, and along the OL. To me, a guy like Hunt certainly fits that discription in terms of ability.

wist43
04-03-2013, 01:38 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=72SLCNaHJco

woodbuck27
04-03-2013, 02:12 PM
The list I put together would require some moving around, but that's how I'd approach it. Target the players you like, assess their value relative to where you think they'll go, and move around to get there. I think TT will just sit where he's at and take BPA.

I see our OL/DL's as being fatally weak. Power teams just beat us into the ground, and we are powerless to do anything about it. I'd much rather have Brandon Williams in the 3rd, than Monte Ball in the 2nd.

If we shored up C, DE/DT, and ILB?? I'd say we're right back to being a threat for the SB; but I don't think TT and MM see either line as a weakness. They could easily rationalize that EDS is a legit, full season starting C; and that Newhouse will improve, or that Sherrod will actually get on the field and produce (not holding my breath on either); or that playing a 2-4 nickel as your base defense is actually a good idea; or that AJ Hawk will be involved in a turnover play one of these years - more of what we had last year.

TT and MM are always preaching improve from within... coach a guy up, get him in the offseason conditioning program, and fill your holes that way - only problem is, I don't see the answers to our problem positions on the roster.

Yes I agree with all of your points. Ted Thompson will claim he went BPA....on his board.

TT and MM will go with hope and our talent (Ohh boy) on the offensive line. Forget a high pick on the OL ie at tackle.

That takes me to freeing up Clay Matthews III and hopefully seeing more from OLB Nick Price in 2013. Focusing on our DL and adding stability/durability and playmaking. BJ Raji and Ryan Pickett need help or both wear down. What TT did in the draft last year is now compromised with the injury and re-hab for DE Jerel Worthy. We shouldn't use magic thinking and Johnny Jolly. GJ Wilson, Mike's Neal and Daniels need more seasoning.

We draft two out of three in first three rounds at DL.

I had been targeting as one decent possibility... **OT Terron Armstead, Arkansas - Pine Bluff at #26. I went back and forth between that **guy and DT Jesse Williams, Alabama at #26. If I went OT at #26 choose ie DT John Jenkins, Georgia at pick #55.

If I selected DT Jesse Williams at #26 my target at #55, fill your boots BPA Safety...Philip Thomas; Bacarri Rambo; ** T.J. McDonald (size and bloodline) or D.J. Swearinger / (slash) WR Quinton Patton; Terrence Williams; Markus Wheaton or ** Justin Hunter. I also like 'the white guy'...** Ryan Swope of Texas A&M. He can motor and makes plays. He might be best suited in the slot.

** These above prospects intrigue me.

Going forward and backing up. Picking DT Brandon Williams, Missouri Southern at #88 in Rd. 3 (and he's BPA :-?)... seals the deal for a plan and a hope.

Going with the above plan at #55 takes us back to Rd. 1 pick #26.

We don't go LT or DT now. If DE Margus Hunt, Southern Methodist is available....pick him. He's an extraordinay athlete. He'll be a real game changer for us. We havn't seen too many prospects as athletic as he is. Why shouldn't we invest a first round pick in him? We've had two of TT's first round picks virtually unavailable to our team since they were drafted.

It's simply what it is. No need for excuses please.

Sorry BJ Raji but we still need you to carry some of the heavy lifting with Ryan Pickett as long as he lasts. We'll give you a rest with DT Brandon Williams.

So what am I hoping for?

I hope that Ted Thompson goes BPA 'playmaker' at #26 and #55.

Imagine these two players in our line-up.

Margus Hunt on 'D' and WR Justin Hunter on 'O'. Margus Hunt and FS T.J. McDonald on 'D'?

Plays baby !

Aaron Rodgers looking for Justin Hunter and his blazing speed... 'He's open'... TOUCHDOWN !

James Jones, Jordy Nelson,Randall Cobb and Justin Hunter.

If we don't get him he'll (maybe?) be with an NFCN opponent.

woodbuck27
04-03-2013, 02:16 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=72SLCNaHJco

I'm sold !

swede
04-03-2013, 03:00 PM
Is there any wiggle room with the number 92?

woodbuck27
04-03-2013, 03:44 PM

Today I'm finally arriving at HIGH on DE Margus Hunt, Southern Methodist in Round 1, Pick #26 and a great gift for the soon to become richest player in the NFL Aaron Rodgers. WR Justin Hunter, Tennessee in Round 2 - Pick #55.

These two playmakers will be solid additions to the Green Bay Packers roster.

Swede....you can do more than:

http://t1.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcSekKUHzflTPaZdK4P7WoMIOM63MecXs sngyDUvUjs82Te9zrqU

WIGGLE

You can:

http://t1.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcTAQmgpJwONLJ3Ho71_SmNfaMdiAA1dJ 1rQ3X5d5vrHZ-krglHFQQ

WAGGLE

GO PACK GO !

Freak Out
04-03-2013, 03:47 PM

No.....the guy is a beast though.

woodbuck27
04-03-2013, 04:50 PM

Check him out:

GO PACKERS !

"Individual commitment to a group effort - that
is what makes a team work, a company work,
a society work, a civilization work." - Vince Lombardi

woodbuck27
04-03-2013, 07:48 PM
Today I'm finally arriving at HIGH on DE Margus Hunt, Southern Methodist in Round 1, Pick #26 and a great gift for the soon to become richest player in the NFL Aaron Rodgers. WR Justin Hunter, Tennessee in Round 2 - Pick #55.

These two playmakers will be solid additions to the Green Bay Packers roster.

Swede....you can do more than:

http://t1.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcSekKUHzflTPaZdK4P7WoMIOM63MecXs sngyDUvUjs82Te9zrqU

WIGGLE

You can:

http://t1.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcTAQmgpJwONLJ3Ho71_SmNfaMdiAA1dJ 1rQ3X5d5vrHZ-krglHFQQ

WAGGLE

GO PACK GO !

OK so that looked good until I got back to a reality check:

Hear a record needle scratching across the vinyl....

http://static.tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pub/images/sluggyrecord_9592.JPG

No way is it smart to use a first round selection on Margus Hunt. He looks like (maybe?) few that we've ever seen and with that you have to say to yourself:

STOP ! :? He has to be drafted into a specific system that knows exactly how to use his athleticism. He looks awesome on video. He's so fricken strong and fast ...he's the Terminator....Superman..whatever. The WOW Factor is huge. Sure you see the best DE that ever lived in the NFL.

He won't be a Green Bay Packer. Ted Thompson is too cautious to pick this fella.

The second thing is that I don't see such an explosive WR as Justin Hunter being available at pick #55. There'll will be a run on WR's in Picks 35-50. In any case this WR is gaining alot of attention of late. He's been on a rise according to sources and almost certainly picked before #55.

So it's back to the drawing board and it's hard.

So many of the late round one and round two prospects have something wrong. I wouldn't want to be Ted Thompson. Even though his board is set he'll have to pick his BPA.

We wish him Good Luck.

PACKERS !

The Shadow
04-03-2013, 08:54 PM
I think Margus Hunt would look very good in a Packer uniform!

wist43
04-04-2013, 01:31 AM
The thing about Hunt, as I said, is that he's only played the game for 4 years, and he's very raw - but, you have to assume he's going to put on another 15-20 lbs, and he's going to continue to improve his technique, and progress as a football player. He has the potential to be a guy that has to be accounted for on every down.

As for one of the other guys I really like - Brandon Williams, I settled on him over Jenkins, Short, Jesse Williams, and Sylvester Williams b/c he is big, country strong, can 2-gap, can hold up against double teams, and can disengage and flatten down the line pretty well. Of those 5 guys, I definitely prefer Brandon Williams - and like Sylvester Williams behind him.

I don't like that Jesse Williams is very much top heavy... he looks like two toothpicks sticking out of a potato. Wonder if he'll have knee and ankle problems?? As for Jenkins, I don't like him. Everything I watched of him, he never got off blocks, he didn't push the pocket, and he showed nothing in pursuit.

packrulz
04-04-2013, 04:44 AM
That's why TT calls it the "Underwear Olympics", he wants to draft football players, not workout warriors. Remember how Shea McClellin's stock soared right before the draft last year? The Bears drafted him ahead of us and he had 14 tackles and 2.5 sacks: http://www.chicagobears.com/team/roster/Shea-McClellin/2bba1ad4-4fbe-4c87-b3f4-0202b2727706

woodbuck27
04-04-2013, 05:49 AM
The thing about Hunt, as I said, is that he's only played the game for 4 years, and he's very raw - but, you have to assume he's going to put on another 15-20 lbs, and he's going to continue to improve his technique, and progress as a football player. He has the potential to be a guy that has to be accounted for on every down.

As for one of the other guys I really like - Brandon Williams, I settled on him over Jenkins, Short, Jesse Williams, and Sylvester Williams b/c he is big, country strong, can 2-gap, can hold up against double teams, and can disengage and flatten down the line pretty well. Of those 5 guys, I definitely prefer Brandon Williams - and like Sylvester Williams behind him.

I don't like that Jesse Williams is very much top heavy... he looks like two toothpicks sticking out of a potato. Wonder if he'll have knee and ankle problems?? As for Jenkins, I don't like him. Everything I watched of him, he never got off blocks, he didn't push the pocket, and he showed nothing in pursuit.

"I definitely prefer Brandon Williams - and like Sylvester Williams behind him." wist43

Good Wist43.

Thanks for the heads up in terms of me working on my draft. I'm seriously working on that for the last three days and a breakthrough yesterday became a wipeout. I got more than a tad overwhelmed over Margus Hunt and temporarily decided to go with show.

Up to yesterday I had been ignoring all the hype on this man. I had a closer look yesterday and POW! Video on DE Margus Hunt and WR Justin Hunter, Tennessee can certainly get the adrenal glands flowing. Today it's back to earth time:

DT Brandon Williams, Missouri Southern * Div. 2 - Conf. MIAA* (Target Rd. 3).

Vs

DT Sylvester Williams, North Carolina ** Div. 1-A - Conf. ACC ** (Target Rd. 2) .

Wist43? * Vs ** !?

Does that bother you? RE: Decision between these two DT's?

It all starts 'again' right there for me. Not necessarily in this order and BPA 'of course' ;-) :

a) DT (STRONG)

b) DE or ILB (Playmaker)

c) Safety (Hard hitting playmaker)

Gifts for the $multi million$ man.

d) OL and Center (versatility)

e) WR

f) TE or RB ... 'a difference maker on our 'O'.

g) Two to spare. We need a backup QB!

GO PACKERS !

wist43
04-04-2013, 12:39 PM
"I definitely prefer Brandon Williams - and like Sylvester Williams behind him." wist43

Good Wist43.

Thanks for the heads up in terms of me working on my draft. I'm seriously working on that for the last three days and a breakthrough yesterday became a wipeout. I got more than a tad overwhelmed over Margus Hunt and temporarily decided to go with show.

Up to yesterday I had been ignoring all the hype on this man. I had a closer look yesterday and POW! Video on DE Margus Hunt and WR Justin Hunter, Tennessee can certainly get the adrenal glands flowing. Today it's back to earth time:

DT Brandon Williams, Missouri Southern * Div. 2 - Conf. MIAA* (Target Rd. 3).

Vs

DT Sylvester Williams, North Carolina ** Div. 1-A - Conf. ACC ** (Target Rd. 2) .

Wist43? * Vs ** !?

Does that bother you? RE: Decision between these two DT's?

It all starts 'again' right there for me. Not necessarily in this order and BPA 'of course' ;-) :

a) DT (STRONG)

b) DE or ILB (Playmaker)

c) Safety (Hard hitting playmaker)

Gifts for the $multi million$ man.

d) OL and Center (versatility)

e) WR

f) TE or RB ... 'a difference maker on our 'O'.

g) Two to spare. We need a backup QB!

GO PACKERS !

It comes down to body type for those DT/DE's.

Brandon Williams may be rated below Sylvester Williams, but that's dependent upon how you would use each guy. I think Brandon Williams can anchor inside better and play the nose as much as you need him to. I don't think you can say that of Sylvester Williams - or any of those other DT's. I think they could rotate at the nose, but I'm looking for a guy who can anchor down in there anytime you called on him.

That said, I'd be okay with Sylvester Williams, and maybe Hankins. The one I don't want is Jenkins.

smuggler
04-04-2013, 04:17 PM
Not in the first round, no. But John Jenkins could be a great NT. If we got him in the 2nd round, I would be thrilled.

Carolina_Packer
04-04-2013, 11:02 PM
That's why TT calls it the "Underwear Olympics", he wants to draft football players, not workout warriors. Remember how Shea McClellin's stock soared right before the draft last year? The Bears drafted him ahead of us and he had 14 tackles and 2.5 sacks: http://www.chicagobears.com/team/roster/Shea-McClellin/2bba1ad4-4fbe-4c87-b3f4-0202b2727706

6'3 260 is hardly going to hold up as a 4-3 DE. I don't think they had a solid plan for him when they drafted him.

Carolina_Packer
04-04-2013, 11:19 PM
I think Margus Hunt would look very good in a Packer uniform!

If they have a position for him, I'd agree. There's nothing prototypical about a guy who is 6-8 and 280. I wonder if he cold add 20 pounds and play 5 technique DE in a 3-4. You'd hate to see a team draft a guy in the first round and have him be a situational player. Love the flashes of dominance and speed. Very impressive. I want to know how he holds up defending the run, or does he get washed out of plays being so tall?

I'd love Kenny Vaccaro, the SS safety from TX. He could be a big help with Woodson gone and Nick Collins forced into early retirement. That said, I don't know if he lasts until 26, but if he does, how do you not take him. He's not Earl Thomas, but he's pretty darn good.

woodbuck27
04-04-2013, 11:22 PM
6'3 260 is hardly going to hold up as a 4-3 DE. I don't think they had a solid plan for him when they drafted him.

Yes I believe so too. Shea McClellin had to be targeted as an OLB.

I wonder what Bretsky's feeling is about the Bears direction and Shea McClellin?

PACKERS !

woodbuck27
04-04-2013, 11:37 PM
It comes down to body type for those DT/DE's.

Brandon Williams may be rated below Sylvester Williams, but that's dependent upon how you would use each guy. I think Brandon Williams can anchor inside better and play the nose as much as you need him to. I don't think you can say that of Sylvester Williams - or any of those other DT's. I think they could rotate at the nose, but I'm looking for a guy who can anchor down in there anytime you called on him.

That said, I'd be okay with Sylvester Williams, and maybe Hankins. The one I don't want is Jenkins.

I don't mean to screw up anyone's Mock Draft leanings; but here's some information. Specifically I refer to considerations on our DL at DT.

http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/draft/big-board

29. Johnathan Hankins, DT, Ohio State

He might be an option in Round 1 Pick#26. He might be a better option if your picking early in the second round.

These other fellas would be considered in Round 2 Pick #55:

50. John Jenkins, DT, Georgia. According to other boards his placement here is about right.

55. Brandon Williams, DT, Missouri Southern... He might well be around for our Round three pick at #88. Everyone who's really interested has a Big Board. The boards on so many NFL Drafting Analysis sites certainly differ in terms of player ranking.

All that should matter to us is our confidence in Ted Thompson's board.

56. Sylvester Williams, DT, North Carolina...Some boards have him ranked to go in the bottom third of Round 1.

PACKERS !

wist43
04-05-2013, 02:24 AM
I don't mean to screw up anyone's Mock Draft leanings; but here's some information. Specifically I refer to considerations on our DL at DT.

http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/draft/big-board

29. Johnathan Hankins, DT, Ohio State

He might be an option in Round 1 Pick#26. He might be a better option if your picking early in the second round.

These other fellas would be considered in Round 2 Pick #55:

50. John Jenkins, DT, Georgia. According to other boards his placement here is about right.

55. Brandon Williams, DT, Missouri Southern... He might well be around for our Round three pick at #88. Everyone who's really interested has a Big Board. The boards on so many NFL Drafting Analysis sites certainly differ in terms of player ranking.

All that should matter to us is our confidence in Ted Thompson's board.

56. Sylvester Williams, DT, North Carolina...Some boards have him ranked to go in the bottom third of Round 1.

PACKERS !

Those are Rob Rang's rankings... I hadn't seen Brandon Williams that high anywhere else - but I have a sneaking hunch that his stock is higher than the earlier rankings. If TT likes him, and thinks he has to jump at pick 55 - I'd be okay with that.

I like Hankins, but not at 26 I don't think; I'd be okay with Sylvester Williams as well, but don't think he could consistently hold the nose.

As I said, I think it comes down to body type and how you would use each guy. I think there is need everywhere on the DL, so as long as they get a good player, and then use him properly, I'm fine with that.

smuggler
04-05-2013, 03:20 AM
McClellin was a project pick for the Bears. If not for his future promise, he probably would not have made the 2012 roster on his ability alone.

In short, criticizing the pick now is a bit premature.

pittstang5
04-05-2013, 06:32 AM
McClellin was a project pick for the Bears. If not for his future promise, he probably would not have made the 2012 roster on his ability alone.

In short, criticizing the pick now is a bit premature.

I wanted the Pack to take McClellin last year and the way things looked, it was a good possibilty that he'd be there when the Packers picked. His draft stock rose considerably leading up to the draft. Then, the Bears took him out of nowhere. That was a real head scratcher for me. I swear, the Bears took him because they knew the Packers were targeting him - LOL.

Smeefers
04-05-2013, 08:24 AM
I wanted the Pack to take McClellin last year and the way things looked, it was a good possibilty that he'd be there when the Packers picked. His draft stock rose considerably leading up to the draft. Then, the Bears took him out of nowhere. That was a real head scratcher for me. I swear, the Bears took him because they knew the Packers were targeting him - LOL.

Haha, I thought the same thing.

Smeefers
04-05-2013, 08:40 AM
I wonder, do you guys think that the team spends more time researching the front end of the draft or the back end of the draft? How does the media get it's draft boards? Are they personally doing the scouting or are they getting info from team scouts or is it a mixture of both?

woodbuck27
04-05-2013, 10:57 AM
I wonder, do you guys think that the team spends more time researching the front end of the draft or the back end of the draft? How does the media get it's draft boards? Are they personally doing the scouting or are they getting info from team scouts or is it a mixture of both?

I'm may not answer your questions but this from my personal experience.

a) "I wonder, do you guys think that the team spends more time researching the front end of the draft or the back end of the draft?" Smeefers

I believe every pick in a draft should be seriously considered. That's how we find a Donald Driver drafted in Round 7 and becoming an All Time Packer Great.

We read it all that time that. The NFL draft:"It's all a crap shoot." As a Packer fan. I don't excuse a GM based on that statement.

We're aware as fans who the busts are. The ego of a team's GM and his Scouting Dept. is at stake in a draft. Overall and more importantly the life blood of that organization is focused on the teams results. Those results by far best served in the NFL draft. The results of that based in a solid effort to get it right. Picking the BPA when your on the clock for the entire seven rounds. Overall in terms of time that's best.

b) "How does the media get it's draft boards? Are they personally doing the scouting or are they getting info from team scouts or is it a mixture of both?" Smeffers

The Scouts do the scouting. The media interlopes to try to dig up information to present to us fans.

If I'm the GM of the Green Bay Packers and ' God Bless Ted Thompson's soul '.

No member of my Scouting Dept. is going to be talking to the media Re: draft prospects. Unless that man can lie better than me.

If my scout gets all yappy with the sports media (any media). He's going to end up behind closed doors with me and it won't be tea and crumpets. He's going to get seriously shaken down. Depended on his response he may get fired.

I cannot imagine the media expecting any serious response from NFL Draft Scouts in a direct sense. A Scout cannot meet with every prospect in the shadows. The media is aware of too much. The media will speculate and declare as it always has. To sell information, to make money.

Some more on this:

I've been working on my Mock Draft for the past few days. It's amazing the wealth of information that's available on the internet. You can compile alot of information on many draft eligible players and the closer a prospect is to being in that first round the more you'll find. The positions of prospects available in the Top 100 has taken solid shape since after the Combine and Pro Days schedule.

NFL Draft sites inform us of prospect's (rise and fall); exactly how much, between report.

You can get great tips on prospects and establishing status and grades/ranking data; by researching a site such as nfldraftscout.com. With all the action on Twitter; there's an excellent source. There's a problem with correlating all that's available to establish YOUR Big Board.

A poster here works his/her tail off to post 'a Seven Round Mock' and we'll see flaws in accordance with individual findings/effort. We all have different ideas of Green Bay Packer needs and and the value of this or that prospect. Emotions can kick in regarding rare prospects.

We're realizing all of that here on Packerrats. The best Internet NFL fan site to enjoy; enjoy learning from.

GO PACK GO!

3irty1
04-05-2013, 11:44 AM
I was very please when the Bears took McClellin last year and we chose Perry over Upshaw. McClellin was just an average athlete and for a college impact player he didn't have many sacks. Especially for playing in the WAC.

Perry is a physical freak and had the college production you'd expect from a guy like that.

Carolina_Packer
04-05-2013, 06:33 PM
Kenny Vaccaro anyone? Check this (http://www.nfl.com/videos/auto/0ap2000000151782/Texas-safety-Kenny-Vaccaro-pro-comparison) out. The question is, would he even still be there at 26 or would you have to move up to get him? I heard Tim and Pat on Sirius XM NFL Radio this afternoon and they were doing a mock draft and had Ted Thomson moving up to pick 22 to get Eddie Lacy, trading their 1st for that spot and also giving up a 4th and a 5th. I thought they were smoking something. Improving the run game is important, but not for that price.

Joemailman
04-05-2013, 06:40 PM
Kenny Vaccaro anyone? Check this (http://www.nfl.com/videos/auto/0ap2000000151782/Texas-safety-Kenny-Vaccaro-pro-comparison) out. The question is, would he even still be there at 26 or would you have to move up to get him? I heard Tim and Pat on Sirius XM NFL Radio this afternoon and they were doing a mock draft and had Ted Thomson moving up to pick 22 to get Eddie Lacy, trading their 1st for that spot and also giving up a 4th and a 5th. I thought they were smoking something. Improving the run game is important, but not for that price.

I think you're right. They're smoking something. I've heard a lot of talk that the real strength of this draft is from the mid-1st through the 2nd round. Short on superstars but a lot of really good players. Given that, I think it's highly unlikely that TT trades picks to move up in the 1st round. He'll be happy to wait and see who falls to him, or even trade down out of the 1st round if someone offers a deal.

I'm not sure Vaccaro has the type of speed the Packers are looking for in a Safety. Not one you would draft in the 1st round, something TT has never done.

Carolina_Packer
04-05-2013, 06:49 PM
I think you're right. They're smoking something. I've heard a lot of talk that the real strength of this draft is from the mid-1st through the 2nd round. Short on superstars but a lot of really good players. Given that, I think it's highly unlikely that TT trades picks to move up in the 1st round. He'll be happy to wait and see who falls to him, or even trade down out of the 1st round if someone offers a deal.

Yeah, I think TT trusts his ability to find RB talent most anywhere in the draft or free agency. But, we could both be wrong if Lacy is the back that they covet, but historically, this hardly seems TT's style.

woodbuck27
04-05-2013, 07:36 PM

Hahahaha. Tim and/or Pat had a funny dream the night before that show.

Smart drafting in the NFL means not going RB in Round 1; unless you had a visit from 'the Draft God', informing you that 'that guy' is the next Adrian Peterson.

Smart drafting in the pass happy NFL emphsizes picking DL *approx. 26%; DB * 22%; WR *19%; and OL *11% in rounds 1 and 2. Going RB isn't a high strategy priority anymore. It's never been lucky for Ted Thompson. I'd be surprized if he went RB before round 4.

I wonder what the over/under is on any team going RB in Round one. It's not a bad bet that it won't happen. Better odds that Eddie Lacy might be drafted in round 1 will be contingent on him running his 40 sometime.

Basically the strongest teams are built an elite DL and drafting a secondary (DB's) filled with high-end talent. You don't place a priority on RB's and LBers. You do want LBers that are fast/strong enough to seal the edge. RB's that will give you a change of pace and punch on short yardage situations. Like the DL, you bulk up on the OL. You give your 'hopefully' franchise QB; WR's and a TE that are playmakers.

PACKERS !

wist43
04-05-2013, 08:54 PM
I haven't looked at safties much... I don't see it as being much of a need compared to other positions.

Burnett is a keeper, and I'm willing to give McMillian, Jennings, and Richardson time to develop. Besides, fixing the front seven will go a lot further toward helping the secondary than adding another young guy. The mess that is our front seven makes it tough to evaluate the secondary.

If TT goes S early, whoever he picks had better be a difference maker - otherwise he's just spinning his wheels, and the team isn't substantially improved.

pittstang5
04-05-2013, 09:15 PM
I haven't looked at safties much... I don't see it as being much of a need compared to other positions.

Burnett is a keeper, and I'm willing to give McMillian, Jennings, and Richardson time to develop. Besides, fixing the front seven will go a lot further toward helping the secondary than adding another young guy. The mess that is our front seven makes it tough to evaluate the secondary.

If TT goes S early, whoever he picks had better be a difference maker - otherwise he's just spinning his wheels, and the team isn't substantially improved.

Agree 100%.

Guiness
04-05-2013, 10:12 PM
Yeah, I think TT trusts his ability to find RB talent most anywhere in the draft or free agency. But, we could both be wrong if Lacy is the back that they covet, but historically, this hardly seems TT's style.

Mhm. And what ability to find RB talent would that be?

He's drafted well at a lot of positions. RB - not so much.

Carolina_Packer
04-05-2013, 10:48 PM
Mhm. And what ability to find RB talent would that be?

He's drafted well at a lot of positions. RB - not so much.

Of course I didn't say I thought that...I just think he thinks there's RB talent to be found without reaching, or committing too high of a pick, especially the way the Packers use their running game. That seems to be his MO. Brandon Jackson was his highest draft choice at RB, but never really panned out. I don't think anyone ever saw why he was drafted so high. DuJuan Harris has way more burst and quickness than Brandon Jackson every showed, and he was a practice squad pickup. Perhaps TT shouldn't be allowed to draft any RB higher than 5th round :smile: but I guess now that Alex Green is fully recovered from his 2011 knee injury, he will have the chance to show if he's capable of being the full-time starter with Harris possibly being the change of pace back, or check-down guy on passing downs, which he seemed pretty good at in a small sampling. Do they still need to bring in some talent at the position? Yes. Does it need to be Eddie Lacy? Hmmm.

I like the idea of a 5 Technique DE. Here is a good article link (http://www.fieldgulls.com/nfl-draft/2013/2/13/3982326/nfl-draft-2013-defensive-end-rankings-leo-5-technique-rankings) that breaks down 4-3 and 3-4 DE's for this year's draft.

They don't list Jesse Williams as a DE for a 3-4, but I think he could do it, ala Cullen Jenkins, because I think he's got power and get off, and some quicks for a person his size, and you know he has strength. Not sure why some people are down on him.

Smeefers
04-06-2013, 07:52 AM
Of course I didn't say I thought that...I just think he thinks there's RB talent to be found without reaching, or committing too high of a pick, especially the way the Packers use their running game. That seems to be his MO. Brandon Jackson was his highest draft choice at RB, but never really panned out. I don't think anyone ever saw why he was drafted so high. DuJuan Harris has way more burst and quickness than Brandon Jackson every showed, and he was a practice squad pickup. Perhaps TT shouldn't be allowed to draft any RB higher than 5th round :smile: but I guess now that Alex Green is fully recovered from his 2011 knee injury, he will have the chance to show if he's capable of being the full-time starter with Harris possibly being the change of pace back, or check-down guy on passing downs, which he seemed pretty good at in a small sampling. Do they still need to bring in some talent at the position? Yes. Does it need to be Eddie Lacy? Hmmm.

I like the idea of a 5 Technique DE. Here is a good article link (http://www.fieldgulls.com/nfl-draft/2013/2/13/3982326/nfl-draft-2013-defensive-end-rankings-leo-5-technique-rankings) that breaks down 4-3 and 3-4 DE's for this year's draft.

They don't list Jesse Williams as a DE for a 3-4, but I think he could do it, ala Cullen Jenkins, because I think he's got power and get off, and some quicks for a person his size, and you know he has strength. Not sure why some people are down on him.

Brandon Jackson was a monster coming out of Nebraska. He was worth a 2nd round pick, he just didn't pan. It hasn't helped him that he hasn't had a fantastic line to run behind. Put him behind the packers 1995 line and he might of torn the house down.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n7LqfRdnT0I

I don't think that just because TT hasn't drafted a RB in the first round that it means he wont. There are a whole lot of positions he hasn't drafted in the first round, that doesn't mean he'd turn down superior talent. I also think TT has no problem targeting for an area of need that we have. He proved that last year with his defensive minded draft. If the packers are weakest at RB and the #1 RB is on the board, I have to think that he'd seriously consider taking him.

woodbuck27
04-06-2013, 11:02 AM

I'm working on my Mock for this draft now. I've been doing so for most of this week and it's hell.

Ted Thompson (if he uses #26) must hit a home run with that pick. He has to use #26 to get a football player that will most assuredly fit right in. That prospect has to be a stout/durable/difference maker. A total boost for the Green bay packers. No more First Round Pick, for any reason, not contributing in games. No more it's a crap shoot ...excuses. Ted Thompson must get this one right.

Will such a difference maker/contributor be available at #26 in terms of real value and BPA grade?

I wish he had said 'NO' to JerMichael Finley and made it easy in terms of a target at #26. All day he's targeting TE Tyler Eifert. That as long as TT's convinced that Tyler Eifert is pumped to be a long term Green Bay Packer. He still might make a solid move picking Tyler Eifet at #26 because sorry packer fans. I've no faith in JerMichael Finley. Add in his cost to the packers CAP. Ouch !

I'm not excited with the most likely players to be available at #26 outside of the playmakers. Is this one time that going BPA isn't exactly the right move in terms of the Green Bay Packers and now?

I keep coming back to TT trading down. That move is simply so much smarter considering this draft and unless a player on the level of an Aaron Rodgers fall to Ted Thompson.

Thoughts? Anyone??

PACKERS !

Carolina_Packer
04-06-2013, 03:11 PM
I'm working on my Mock for this draft now. I've been doing so for most of this week and it's hell.

Ted Thompson (if he uses #26) must hit a home run with that pick. He has to use #26 to get a football player that will most assuredly fit right in. That prospect has to be a stout/durable/difference maker. A total boost for the Green bay packers. No more First Round Pick, for any reason, not contributing in games. No more it's a crap shoot ...excuses. Ted Thompson must get this one right.

Will such a difference maker/contributor be available at #26 in terms of real value and BPA grade?

I wish he had said 'NO' to JerMichael Finley and made it easy in terms of a target at #26. All day he's targeting TE Tyler Eifert. That as long as TT's convinced that Tyler Eifert is pumped to be a long term Green Bay Packer. He still might make a solid move picking Tyler Eifet at #26 because sorry packer fans. I've no faith in JerMichael Finley. Add in his cost to the packers CAP. Ouch !

I'm not excited with the most likely players to be available at #26 outside of the playmakers. Is this one time that going BPA isn't exactly the right move in terms of the Green Bay Packers and now?

I keep coming back to TT trading down. That move is simply so much smarter considering this draft and unless a player on the level of an Aaron Rodgers fall to Ted Thompson.

Thoughts? Anyone??

PACKERS !

Well, the choices are 1) Stand pat and draft the BPA, and hopefully it's the same scenario as 2005 where you're almost compelled to make the pick. We don't have a QB succession/possible retirement scenario like then, but we do have some small to medium sized holes to fill. The other choices are 2) move up and give up picks if there is a player that you feel will not be available by the time the team has their slotted pick. There is a little history for this with TT. Clay Matthews, Morgan Burnett and Casey Hayward come to mind, there may be another or two. I don't see there being that kind of impact player that they have to move up to get, but I could be wrong. The other choice is 3) move back out of the first round if someone else is jonesing for a particular guy and we can move back slightly and still get a player that can be had later. TT did this when he drafted Jordy Nelson, and that seemed to work out. Something tells me that scenario number 3 is as good a possibility as standing pat. Again, I don't see him moving up in the first round to get someone, but there might be a guy they covet that they think will be gone. That's more Jerry Jones's style, not TT's.

The Shadow
04-06-2013, 11:02 PM
As with every year, there will be Ted surprises.

Carolina_Packer
04-06-2013, 11:50 PM
Here is a link (http://bleacherreport.com/articles/1591908-2013-nfl-draft-why-green-bay-packers-should-trade-first-pick) to an article that offers some interesting analysis of what the Packers should and should not do in the draft.

Another article that I read, quoted Edgar Bennett, who obviously knows something about the Green Bay offense saying that perhaps the most important job of a running back in Green Bay's offense is blitz pickup and understanding protection calls. The obvious importance of blitz pickup is protection, but the other importance of a back who can do blitz pickup well is the deception that it can help create between the run and pass game. If a guy is known to be average to below average on blitz pickup, that might telegraph to the defense that this is likely a run play. I had never really thought about that side of it before, so I found that interesting.

If the Packers are looking to address the running game in this year's draft, the more I read, the more I think I would be happy with the following backs wherever they come off the board...Johnathan Franklin, Michael Gillislee, Stepfan Taylor or Montee Ball because I think they could all be the type of back that Green Bay needs. They all have multiple skill sets, but the one that can be a three down back may win out. I think Franklin might be the most intriguing. Eddie Lacy might be considered the top back in the draft, but may not be worth the position where he is likely to be chosen.

woodbuck27
04-07-2013, 07:16 AM

I'm not sure Vaccaro has the type of speed the Packers are looking for in a Safety. Not one you would draft in the 1st round, something TT has never done.

The strength of this draft. According to the fellas in the know from pick #15 to #50.

woodbuck27
04-07-2013, 07:23 AM
Well, the choices are 1) Stand pat and draft the BPA, and hopefully it's the same scenario as 2005 where you're almost compelled to make the pick. We don't have a QB succession/possible retirement scenario like then, but we do have some small to medium sized holes to fill. The other choices are 2) move up and give up picks if there is a player that you feel will not be available by the time the team has their slotted pick. There is a little history for this with TT. Clay Matthews, Morgan Burnett and Casey Hayward come to mind, there may be another or two. I don't see there being that kind of impact player that they have to move up to get, but I could be wrong. The other choice is 3) move back out of the first round if someone else is jonesing for a particular guy and we can move back slightly and still get a player that can be had later. TT did this when he drafted Jordy Nelson, and that seemed to work out. Something tells me that scenario number 3 is as good a possibility as standing pat. Again, I don't see him moving up in the first round to get someone, but there might be a guy they covet that they think will be gone. That's more Jerry Jones's style, not TT's.

Your bang on but that's not helping me and my Mock.

Making a Mock this year is more masochistic than usual. I'm losing sleep. My hygene is less than perfect. My hair is brittle. My eyes are burning because of all the reading and video I watch. I want to quit this job I assigned to myself but I'm too invested. :smile:

PACKERS !

The Shadow
04-07-2013, 10:14 AM
Here is a link (http://bleacherreport.com/articles/1591908-2013-nfl-draft-why-green-bay-packers-should-trade-first-pick) to an article that offers some interesting analysis of what the Packers should and should not do in the draft.

Another article that I read, quoted Edgar Bennett, who obviously knows something about the Green Bay offense saying that perhaps the most important job of a running back in Green Bay's offense is blitz pickup and understanding protection calls. The obvious importance of blitz pickup is protection, but the other importance of a back who can do blitz pickup well is the deception that it can help create between the run and pass game. If a guy is known to be average to below average on blitz pickup, that might telegraph to the defense that this is likely a run play. I had never really thought about that side of it before, so I found that interesting.

If the Packers are looking to address the running game in this year's draft, the more I read, the more I think I would be happy with the following backs wherever they come off the board...Johnathan Franklin, Michael Gillislee, Stepfan Taylor or Montee Ball because I think they could all be the type of back that Green Bay needs. They all have multiple skill sets, but the one that can be a three down back may win out. I think Franklin might be the most intriguing. Eddie Lacy might be considered the top back in the draft, but may not be worth the position where he is likely to be chosen.

The link was interesting & informative - but I really do not agree with the reasoning.

woodbuck27
04-07-2013, 11:25 AM

I'm going to analyze Johnathan Franklin, Michael Gillislee, Stepfan Taylor Vs Montee Ball soon. More on that later.

I agree with you as the best all round bet at RB as Eddie Lacy. I'm getting down to this:

That first round pick at RB isn't likely to be an Adrian Peterson. So that question becomes moot in terms of possibly moving on a BPA RB in Rd. 1.

Our running game should be informed with this:

These RB's... Arian Foster, UFA 2009; Frank Gore 2005 Round: 3 Pick #65; Marshawn Lynch 2007 Round: 1 Pick #12; Ray Rice 2008 Round: 2 Pick #55; Doug Martin 2012 Round: 1 Pick #31; Chris Johnson 2008 Round: 1 Pick #24; Trent Richardson 2012 Round: 1 Pick #3; Matt Forte 2008 Round: 2 Pick #44; Jamaal Charles 2008 Round: 3 Pick #73; Alfred Morris 2012 Round: 6 Pick #173 and CJ Spliller 2010 Round: 1 Pick #9 ....

All of the above RB's play huge roles in their teams offense.

Take that RB away from most of these teams and that team is looking for 'that guy' at RB. The strength of that team is sapping.

I don't care if TT has missed at RB and LT (OL) in the draft. He cannot rely on being 'The Draft Guru'. After Aaron Rodgers and the quality WR's he's drafted. Not that in any manner or fashion in terms of our offensive future.

You don't drive a car looking too often and for any sustained time in the rear view mirror.

Ted Thompson has got to slow down on finding those improbable 'diamonds in the rough'. Ted Thompson has it sitting right there in front of him; a long time before any draft. With far more advantage of resources than any member of this board.

Ted Thompson has to get it right more than ever now.

I just don't get it. I'm here and somehow convinced otherwise. No more!

We need a solid running game to compete with the best. This allusion of belief that Aaron Rodgers is all we really need is simply dumb. Aaron Rodgers needs help in the form of a solid running game. Aaron Rodgers has to be willing to share the fricken' spotlight. If 'no running game' has anything at all to do with Aaron Rodgers and EGO. I'm not able to judge if that's even the case. If it is it should or has to end as soon as he's the highest paid player in the NFL. It's finally for Aaron Rodgers 'get that stupid chip' off your shoulder time.

It's all about getting over yourself; getting the Green Bay Packers another Super Bowl. Nothing else will, after that contract be acceptable.

Back to the primary focus of this post:

That running game that makes such a difference !

Ted Thompson cannot get that by flicking away at a RB with a late round pick. Bringing in UFA's from anywhere especially smaller Division II College Programs.

Ted Thompson has to assert himself in the draft with a statement that says confidence in a solid pick at RB. This season is upcoming and there's never any other, 'right time for everything' ... like now.

If this so deemed value isn't there at pick #26; but there's a player that gives him a best chance to improve the Packers in a big way. A bigger way than a pick at DL, OL, DB, and WR. Ted Thompson has to pull the trigger. He has to do so courageously with conviction/fervour.

Hesitation never served any man.

If that pick doesn't serve the Green Bay Packers as well as he or we the fans hope it will. Can we say we havn't been there before and not remained hopeful? Do we want to see it and say... Ted Thompson didn't take the shot?

I'm becoming really convinced that if TT wants to add a difference maker to the Green Bay Packers. He might simply pick RB Eddie Lacy if he's available at; moreso close to pick NO. 26. Forget this 'is it carved in stone like Vince Lombardi' don't waste a pick on RB in Round 1.

If you want evidence of the falseness of that pseudo idiom 'you don't pick a RB in round one/two of the NFL draft' rather use a mid round pick. Here's that proof:

Marshawn Lynch; Doug Martin; Ray Rice; Chris Johnson; Trent Richardson; Matt Forte and CJ Spiller.

GO PACK GO !

Carolina_Packer
04-07-2013, 02:19 PM
The link was interesting & informative - but I really do not agree with the reasoning.

I'd be curious to know what part(s) you didn't agree with and why. I'm not saying the author is right, it's just interesting when people have different points of view.

woodbuck27
04-07-2013, 03:35 PM
This on Eddie Lacy and his current issue with his hammy injury that he sustained while training at the NFL Scouting Combine. ** This article will help the forum better understand this particular injury in term of degree and consequence. We're aware of this injury and the cost of it to two of our star players. Clay Matthews III and Jordy Nelson.

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/1562685-how-worried-should-nfl-teams-be-about-eddie-lacys-injured-hamstring

How Worried Should NFL Teams Be About Eddie Lacy's Injured Hamstring?

By: Dave Siebert March 2013

"Hamstring injuries, called "strains," occur when one or more of the muscles are over-stretched or torn. A grade-one strain is a simple over-stretch without any tear, while grade-two and grade-three strains represent partial and complete muscle tears, respectively."

NFL scouts need to see Lacy run. That's scheduled to happen on April 11, 2013. It's important for him to do very well for any first round potential:

http://www.al.com/sports/index.ssf/2013/03/former_alabama_rb_eddie_lacy_r.html

Former Alabama RB Eddie Lacy ready to run for NFL scouts -in Tuscaloosa, Alabama on April 11,2013

By Andrew Gribble | agribble@al.com al.com

GO PACK GO !

The Shadow
04-07-2013, 04:26 PM
I'd be curious to know what part(s) you didn't agree with and why. I'm not saying the author is right, it's just interesting when people have different points of view.

It's not the trading down part I disagree with - it's the author's preoccupation with a running back & safety. There are 2 parts to the running back question in my opinion. One, I don't know how Thompson views the maturation of Harris, Starks & Green - perhaps he feels with the experience gained last year they will make a leap. Two, I'm not so sure that the Packers offense needs to spend a higher pick on RB, since Rodgers' arm is the focal point - and that higher pick could go towards shoring up what Ted thinks are more pressing needs.
As far as safety, again, I don't know what Ted makes of McMillian, Jennings & Richardson's progress.

For me, adding to that defensive line would be more important.
Just an opinion.

woodbuck27
04-07-2013, 05:06 PM
It's not the trading down part I disagree with - it's the author's preoccupation with a running back & safety. There are 2 parts to the running back question in my opinion. One, I don't know how Thompson views the maturation of Harris, Starks & Green - perhaps he feels with the experience gained last year they will make a leap. Two, I'm not so sure that the Packers offense needs to spend a higher pick on RB, since Rodgers' arm is the focal point - and that higher pick could go towards shoring up what Ted thinks are more pressing needs.
As far as safety, again, I don't know what Ted makes of McMillian, Jennings & Richardson's progress.

For me, adding to that defensive line would be more important.
Just an opinion.

No!

The most important issue is keeping our QB behind center and not concussed in a hospital trying to figure out what put him there. On the sidelines simply not ready to take any more punishment. Watching the Packers get a royal shit kicking with an offense guided by one of our present backup QB's.

How is any defensive position player going to assure that doesn't happen?

You improve the running game to help protect your QB. You do that by upgrading our running game with a RB that has the real potential to do so.

Arn't you aware of the fact that Aaron Rodgers was sacked an outrageous 51 times?

Doesn't that concern you? It sure as hell better start concerning Ted Thompson. I don't see many options early in this draft going OL. I certainly see options and probable upgrade at RB.

TT has to at least be considering #26 and Eddie Lacy and that and more or less interest after his workout on April 11th.

TT has options in to name a few Johnathan Franklin, Stepfan Taylor and Montee Ball in rounds 2 and 3. If Ted Thompson doesn't come out of this draft with an option at RB he's clearly made an error.

wist43
04-07-2013, 06:16 PM
No!

The most important issue is keeping our QB behind center and not concussed in a hospital trying to figure out what put him there. On the sidelines simply not ready to take any more punishment. Watching the Packers get a royal shit kicking with an offense guided by one of our present backup QB's.

How is any defensive position player going to assure that doesn't happen?

You improve the running game to help protect your QB. You do that by upgrading our running game with a RB that has the real potential to do so.

Arn't you aware of the fact that Aaron Rodgers was sacked an outrageous 51 times?

Doesn't that concern you? It sure as hell better start concerning Ted Thompson. I don't see many options early in this draft going OL. I certainly see options and probable upgrade at RB.

TT has to at least be considering #26 and Eddie Lacy and that and more or less interest after his workout on April 11th.

TT has options in to name a few Johnathan Franklin, Stepfan Taylor and Montee Ball in rounds 2 and 3. If Ted Thompson doesn't come out of this draft with an option at RB he's clearly made an error.

Somebody posted that we were 16th in pass attempts - if we were 16th in pass attempts, and gave up the 2nd most sacks?? That's not a RB problem - that's an OL problem.

The Niners, Giants, and other power teams have clearly shown us where we are deficient. We may be deficient at RB, TE, and S - but our shortcomings at those position pale in comparison to how weak we are in the treches on both sides of the ball, and in our front seven in general.

We have to get tougher in the trenches, and we have to improve our front seven personnel, or we'll be right back here again next year lamenting the fact that the power teams beat us senseless again.

Carolina_Packer
04-07-2013, 09:29 PM
Somebody posted that we were 16th in pass attempts - if we were 16th in pass attempts, and gave up the 2nd most sacks?? That's not a RB problem - that's an OL problem.

The Niners, Giants, and other power teams have clearly shown us where we are deficient. We may be deficient at RB, TE, and S - but our shortcomings at those position pale in comparison to how weak we are in the treches on both sides of the ball, and in our front seven in general.

We have to get tougher in the trenches, and we have to improve our front seven personnel, or we'll be right back here again next year lamenting the fact that the power teams beat us senseless again.

QFT.

Carolina_Packer
04-07-2013, 10:01 PM

Yeah, Woody, I don't think they can afford status quo...but as I said in another post, this RB help, he'd better be a guy who can run and catch the ball, and most importantly pickup blitzes, and with the deception a good back can bring so as not to let the defense think it always knows when you are passing or running, soooo much the better for this offense, and it might slow the opposing defense's roll on blitzing, or pinning their ears back and coming at him. They need that to put pressure on the defense, and it hasn't really existed.

Coaches and personnel staff alike hate this, I'm sure. Did you notice what happened later in the year when Green Bay had a bit more of a run game? Rodgers wasn't sacked as many times. The opposing defense has to be forced to respect the run. It's also known that Rodgers tries to hold the ball longer to extend plays and will generally not throw the ball up for grabs and would rather take a sack than throw a pick. Wish we could build him a stone wall and give him some more clean pockets so could show off his athleticism a little less, if you know what I mean.

I think you make a good point. It must be difficult to think about committing more cap dollars to the offensive line when you have Bulaga and Sherrod, both first rounders of recent years, have re-upped the two guards recently, but are not sure 100% on center. The two tackles have some questionable health at this point, but if we draft a first round OL, and both Bulaga and Sherrod come back successfully, where do you put your new first round OL, or where do you put your returning OL? Bulaga or Sherrod are getting paid too much to sit on the bench. I think they have to be really looking at Sherrod's progress to see if he's got a good chance of full go, or they should look at shoring that side up because Newhouse is not a LT.

I think you are right about this, but he may decide to bolster the OL or the DL and get another RB later because that might be a better value at No. 26, assuming he keeps the pick.

I think he sees this as an area that needs improvement. Lacy would be a good get, but if we get him, it's only because the evaluators thought he would fit the system, be able to help protect Rodgers and add a dynamic back that we currently don't have and that the rest of the draft doesn't offer, and I'm not sure if anyone sees Lacy as that guy.

woodbuck27
04-08-2013, 09:17 AM

Absolutely your correct but let's study that proposition, fogusing on our OL.

I'm studying every move that TT makes this off season. Often TT's moves, 'no moves', come with a pretty clear attached message.

TT made zero moves to help fix our OL in FA. Son 'rester avec le statu quo' est en vogue.

In English.... he's ignored FA and our OL by being TT. Ted Thompson has ignored the one position where we absolutely have questions. The one position where the Packers certainly are on the verge of real need. What tells me that?

That OL and offense gave up a pathetic 51 QB SACKS !

That move sends a clear message. What is it Packer fans?

What are TT's options to fix our OL in the draft?

Maybe a move at Center with pick #55 or #88. This draft isn't deep at Center.

For TT to get a decent Rd. 1 value at LT or OG. It would certainly cost him a tenuous wait for a decent player to fall to #26. Noone plays 'the wait' better than TT.

What would such a wait by TT tell you?

Does TT have a more senseable option (s)?

Much more likely and better. He's going to have to trade up in Rd. 1.

For TT to trade up as I see it today. It would cost TT his 1st and 3rd Rd. picks >>> to land D.J. Fluker OT, Alabama .

A Trade up to get OG Jonathan Cooper, North Carolina. That would cost TT his 1st, 3rd, 4th and 5th Rd. picks.

Any such move would show us his love for OT D.J. Fluker, Alabama or OG Jonathan Cooper, North Carolina.

Moreso ... his love for Aaron Rodgers.

It sure looks to me that we can forget getting OG Jonathan Cooper. Ted Thompson loves to draft not trade. A move at the top of this draft has to be a value move. Ted Thompson's first four picks are extremely valuable and he has to hit big with these picks. He has to look carefully at need and BPA.

If he pulls some pick of a prospect fr. Kitchamee Tech, Southbend,Idaho. :smile:

Packer fans are going to lose... their voices from screaming; their minds not finding that place in a google search.

Along with all of that we have a real need on our DL.

PACKERS !

woodbuck27
04-08-2013, 09:41 AM
I think he sees this as an area that needs improvement. Lacy would be a good get, but if we get him, it's only because the evaluators thought he would fit the system, be able to help protect Rodgers and add a dynamic back that we currently don't have and that the rest of the draft doesn't offer, and I'm not sure if anyone sees Lacy as that guy.

Hi: Carolina_Packer

I'm going to be watching for Eddie Lacy's results at his Pro day this Thursday April 11. As well 'locked onto' the first day of THE MASTERS. It's finally 'the rite of Spring' coming.

I don't want anyone at Packerrats imagining that I'm drooling; ever going to drool over Eddie Lacy. Become distraught if TT ultimately ignores him. I 'only' hope that Ted Thompson nails his picks at the top of this draft. Gets an A grade overall in this draft.

PACKERS !

woodbuck27
04-08-2013, 09:49 AM
I'm not sure how you did this Carolina_Packer...see 3 posts above this ... but I like it. I think... we're basically in agreement.

Originally Posted by woodbuck27

Yeah, Woody, I don't think they can afford status quo...but as I said in another post, this RB help, he'd better be a guy who can run and catch the ball, and most importantly pickup blitzes, and with the deception a good back can bring so as not to let the defense think it always knows when you are passing or running, soooo much the better for this offense, and it might slow the opposing defense's roll on blitzing, or pinning their ears back and coming at him. They need that to put pressure on the defense, and it hasn't really existed.

Coaches and personnel staff alike hate this, I'm sure. Did you notice what happened later in the year when Green Bay had a bit more of a run game? Rodgers wasn't sacked as many times. The opposing defense has to be forced to respect the run. It's also known that Rodgers tries to hold the ball longer to extend plays and will generally not throw the ball up for grabs and would rather take a sack than throw a pick. Wish we could build him a stone wall and give him some more clean pockets so could show off his athleticism a little less, if you know what I mean.

I think you make a good point. It must be difficult to think about committing more cap dollars to the offensive line when you have Bulaga and Sherrod, both first rounders of recent years, have re-upped the two guards recently, but are not sure 100% on center. The two tackles have some questionable health at this point, but if we draft a first round OL, and both Bulaga and Sherrod come back successfully, where do you put your new first round OL, or where do you put your returning OL? Bulaga or Sherrod are getting paid too much to sit on the bench. I think they have to be really looking at Sherrod's progress to see if he's got a good chance of full go, or they should look at shoring that side up because Newhouse is not a LT.

I think you are right about this, but he may decide to bolster the OL or the DL and get another RB later because that might be a better value at No. 26, assuming he keeps the pick.

wist43
04-08-2013, 01:39 PM
Wood, I think the Packers think they're fine on the OL - assuming they think Sherrod will get on the field.

TT and MM prefer mobile OL. Having mobile OL comes with a tradeoff - they're not going to be glass eaters. Finesse, on both sides of the ball, is our identity. Unless MM and Capers make some adjustments, we're going to be stuck behind the power teams.

This will be a very interesting draft.

woodbuck27
04-08-2013, 02:23 PM
Wood, I think the Packers think they're fine on the OL - assuming they think Sherrod will get on the field.

TT and MM prefer mobile OL. Having mobile OL comes with a tradeoff - they're not going to be glass eaters. Finesse, on both sides of the ball, is our identity. Unless MM and Capers make some adjustments, we're going to be stuck behind the power teams.

This will be a very interesting draft.

'Mobile' OL. When I think of that I think running game. Blocking downfield to create lanes for a RB.

wist43 ... as per your post above.... define 'mobile' in terms of our offensive line.

'Interesting draft' is from my view an understatement wist43.

I'm having a very tough time simply figuring out four logical round 1-2-3-4 picks in a simple 7 round Mock. I don't have the advantage that TT has of drafting prospects from 'a Junior College Program in Maine' or FR. Boogaaboo Upper State College in Somewhere, Indiana.

Rahh Rahh Rahh ! LOL

pittstang5
04-08-2013, 04:19 PM
'Mobile' OL. When I think of that I think running game. Blocking downfield to create lanes for a RB.

wist43 ... as per your post above.... define 'mobile' in terms of our offensive line.

'Interesting draft' is from my view an understatement wist43.

I'm having a very tough time simply figuring out four logical round 1-2-3-4 picks in a simple 7 round Mock. I don't have the advantage that TT has of drafting prospects from 'a Junior College Program in Maine' or FR. Boogaaboo Upper State College in Somewhere, Indiana.

mobile.Rahh Rahh Rahh ! LOL

I don't mean to jump on Wist's toes here, but I think I know what he means by "mobile" o-lineman. Wist, please correct me if I'm wrong.

I've noticed a trend when it comes to O-lineman that TT takes in the draft, specifically, later round guys. They usually are lighter, more athletic (305 - 315 lbs) and have lower 40 times. If they are a converted TE - I'd bet there on his "watch" list. Versatility also seems to be a common denominator. This is opposed to your road grader 340 lb plus - not going to move o-lineman.

I had Allen Barbre pegged as a TT pick the year he was drafted (probably one of the very few TT picks I have ever got right). Checked out his pre-draft stats, you'll see what i mean.

woodbuck27
04-08-2013, 11:36 PM
I don't mean to jump on Wist's toes here, but I think I know what he means by "mobile" o-lineman. Wist, please correct me if I'm wrong.

I've noticed a trend when it comes to O-lineman that TT takes in the draft, specifically, later round guys. They usually are lighter, more athletic (305 - 315 lbs) and have lower 40 times. If they are a converted TE - I'd bet there on his "watch" list. Versatility also seems to be a common denominator. This is opposed to your road grader 340 lb plus - not going to move o-lineman.

I had Allen Barbre pegged as a TT pick the year he was drafted (probably one of the very few TT picks I have ever got right). Checked out his pre-draft stats, you'll see what i mean.

I think you nailed that...Thanks pittstang5.

PACKERS !

wist43
04-09-2013, 01:23 AM

I'd agree with that pitt.

For me though, my preference is for a power running scheme. I hate finesse football. SF showed us how it's done - they whipped our ass soundly - twice, and neither game was ever in doubt. We have to get tougher in the trenches, or it's just gonna happen again.

As for "mobile" or "finesse", they don't expect their linemen to win on strength at the point, or designate gaps to run thru. Everything is based on movement; a lot reach blocks, student body left, right, and middle, i.e. zone blocking. When M3 incorporated a couple of power running plays into the gameplan last year, we actually ran the ball a bit, but that isn't who he is. He wants to throw the ball - a lot, and call zone runnings plays. That's his nature. He gives some lip service to running the ball, but that's all it is.

How many times have we watched as 3rd and less than a yard is an obvious passing down?? Or worse than passing, M3 calls that stupid, moronic, FB dive with Kuhn. I cringed a couple of times last year when that play actually worked, b/c I knew M3 would keep calling it - hate that play!!!

OS PA
04-09-2013, 01:57 AM
We should use all of our picks on left tackles and see if one of them is any good.

packrulz
04-09-2013, 04:27 AM
http://lombardiave.com/2013/04/07/green-bay-packers-really-like-david-quessenberry-so-who-is-he/

swede
04-09-2013, 12:09 PM
http://lombardiave.com/2013/04/07/green-bay-packers-really-like-david-quessenberry-so-who-is-he/ it was kind of behind a spamwall, but I got the gist of it.

Is he gone by round two or is he a mid-late round guy?

woodbuck27
04-09-2013, 02:37 PM
We should use all of our picks on left tackles and see if one of them is any good.

Your going to have a long lost friend visit for the weekend.

You and he are 'real beer' lovers. You went out and purchased some awesome meat and the fixings for the barbeque's. It's going to be very hot and your thirst powerful.

Now the beer.

Do you make some effort to purchase your favourite premium imported beer? Maybe a couple of cases each of finer American beer like Sierra Nevada Pale Ale or Pork Slap.

http://t2.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcT__6KKMB1DcskLwHQvVvxGpcuqYyfhm YdsqNcHdwFh-2O0oM7Z

and/or

http://t1.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQGF5ggZrX1a6tHMe2IX1D7pUsFp2Nzq dpZkaOzJW82bhHgDTO8

OR

A couple cases each of:

http://t3.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcSPxSBFkqdf5Gl6R-onkBusNGYNWp_Ih3UQ0NlpX8N997bsWVXw

and

http://t1.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcRU1Zc9EMcpVLLDyFk6g1d4SrVOFFx5W heaNl9iF8LWSL8MLdw3

Great LT's are as like franchise QB's... as rare as hen's teeth.

Your friend is a rare friend.

Now after that I do see your thinking. As the teams GM you might even satisfy your franchise QB. Your teams OC may be delighted.

Your certainly going to piss off your teams DC.

packrulz
04-09-2013, 05:03 PM
it was kind of behind a spamwall, but I got the gist of it.

Is he gone by round two or is he a mid-late round guy?
CBS sports has him ranked 118th, and project him as a 3rd or 4th round pick. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eBvL9p3FOJU

smuggler
04-10-2013, 10:34 AM
So the bBears brought in Schwenke for a visit. He's projected to go in the 3rd round, but they don't have a 3rd round pick. He's the guy I want at center, but I guess I'm not alone. What are the odds that the Bears take him with their 2nd round choice?

Joemailman
04-10-2013, 10:52 AM
So the bBears brought in Schwenke for a visit. He's projected to go in the 3rd round, but they don't have a 3rd round pick. He's the guy I want at center, but I guess I'm not alone. What are the odds that the Bears take him with their 2nd round choice?

Just covering all angles. You never know what will happen on draft day. They could trade down early and end up with a 3rd round pick. Or maybe they have a 2nd round grade on him. Or maybe they think he'll be available in the 4th round. Who knows?

3irty1
04-10-2013, 11:08 AM

Probably less likely than they would be to trade up or down for him. Could happen though if they are really in love with him. I'd like to be looking for a RB, Safety, or even WR at that point in the draft and I see a few options later that I like just as much.

The classic Ted Thompson offensive lineman prospect profile looks about like:
6'4"
310 lbs
Positionally Ambiguous (but left tackle in college)
Midround Talent
at least a 4.6 in the short shuttle
at least a 7.6 in the 3-cone
Mean Streak

That profile fits Barbre, Sitton, Lang, Newhouse (minus the mean streak). Also fits Nick McDonald and EDS (minus midround talent). But nobody Ted has selected is that far off from it. In this draft guys a couple of guys that fit that profile are:

David Quessenberry, San Jose State, who was also a former TE suggesting he may have the good hands needed to be a center. He should go in the early 4th.

Hugh Thornton, Illinoiss who was also a 2 time state wrestling champ like Wells. Should go in the late 5th where we have two picks.

pbmax
04-10-2013, 12:04 PM
Tyler Dunne ‏@TyDunne 3m
The mocks continue. Former NFL scout @MoveTheSticks has the #Packers taking S Jonathan Cyprien

http://www.nfl.com/draft/2013/mock-drafts/daniel-jeremiah/170851?campaign=Twitter_jeremiah

3irty1
04-10-2013, 12:41 PM
Tyler Dunne ‏@TyDunne 3m
The mocks continue. Former NFL scout @MoveTheSticks has the #Packers taking S Jonathan Cyprien

http://www.nfl.com/draft/2013/mock-drafts/daniel-jeremiah/170851?campaign=Twitter_jeremiah

I like my safeties to be faster than my linebackers.

Fritz
04-10-2013, 05:50 PM
I like my safeties to be faster than my linebackers.

Now that's a funny post.

packrulz
04-11-2013, 05:01 AM
Tyler Dunne ‏@TyDunne 3m

http://media.al.com/sports_impact/photo/jonathan-cyprienjpg-0e5133e387754685.jpg

Fritz
04-11-2013, 05:29 AM
That picture just seems wrong, somehow.

swede
04-11-2013, 07:54 AM
Dr. Samuels, Professor of Anthropology: Which one of you clowns put Under armour on my Homo Neanderthalus Africanus figure? Swenson!
http://media.al.com/sports_impact/photo/jonathan-cyprienjpg-0e5133e387754685.jpg

pbmax
04-11-2013, 08:35 AM
From Wilde at Sulia:

I'm not sure #Packers GM Ted Thompson and ESPN's Mel Kiper are pals, but they see RBs the same. Kiper quote:
“I've been saying it for 35 years -- you can find running backs at any point in the draft. I would never draft a running back in the first round. And when you see what (Baltimore's) Bernard Pierce did, you see what (Seattle's) Robert Turbin did, you see what (Vick) Ballard did at Indianapolis, obviously what Alfred Morris did with the Redskins, it's another statement as to why and a validation as to why that philosophy has worked over the years."

In his eight drafts in Green Bay, Thompson has selected a not-so-grand total of six running backs or fullbacks: Jackson (second round), fullback Korey Hall (sixth round) and halfback DeShawn Wynn (seventh) in 2007; fullback Quinn Johnson (fifth) in 2009; Starks (sixth) in 2010; and Green (third) in 2011.

We'll have more on the running back position as part of our ESPNWisconsin.com draft series, which kicks off next week.

3irty1
04-11-2013, 09:04 AM
From Wilde at Sulia:

I'm not sure #Packers GM Ted Thompson and ESPN's Mel Kiper are pals, but they see RBs the same. Kiper quote:
“I've been saying it for 35 years -- you can find running backs at any point in the draft. I would never draft a running back in the first round. And when you see what (Baltimore's) Bernard Pierce did, you see what (Seattle's) Robert Turbin did, you see what (Vick) Ballard did at Indianapolis, obviously what Alfred Morris did with the Redskins, it's another statement as to why and a validation as to why that philosophy has worked over the years."

In his eight drafts in Green Bay, Thompson has selected a not-so-grand total of six running backs or fullbacks: Jackson (second round), fullback Korey Hall (sixth round) and halfback DeShawn Wynn (seventh) in 2007; fullback Quinn Johnson (fifth) in 2009; Starks (sixth) in 2010; and Green (third) in 2011.

We'll have more on the running back position as part of our ESPNWisconsin.com draft series, which kicks off next week.

Just as frustrating to me is how long it takes for MM to find the stud in his backfield if he has one. I remember it took most of a season for Grant to become the guy despite immediate success. It took just as long for Harris to start getting a serious amount of carries despite being the only one showing success.

smuggler
04-11-2013, 11:36 AM
I second that frustration.

Fritz
04-11-2013, 12:14 PM
Getting back to the wish list....my anti-wish list - what I hope the team does not draft with the first or second round picks...

A tight end (why do so many mocks have the team taking a tight end? Is Jermichael seen as gone already?)

An offensive tackle or guard.

An outside linebacker.

A cornerback.

woodbuck27
04-11-2013, 01:41 PM

For that to likely happen, according to my analysis. Ted Thompson has to trade up ahead of the RAMs who may very well target SS Jonathan Cyprien, if they pick a WR at pick #16.

Ted Thompson has to be prepared to move up to the Bengals #21 pick.

Cost to do that would be pick #26 and their fourth Rd. pick in this draft at #122 and another 4th Rd. pick in 2014.

PACKERS !

woodbuck27
04-11-2013, 01:53 PM
From Wilde at Sulia:

When I get the logical best #26 pick figured out. I'll post that Mock Draft.

As it stands today...my Seven Round Mock will feature a very decent RB at Pick #159 or #167 in Round Five (5).

woodbuck27
04-11-2013, 01:54 PM
Getting back to the wish list....my anti-wish list - what I hope the team does not draft with the first or second round picks...

A tight end (why do so many mocks have the team taking a tight end? Is Jermichael seen as gone already?)

An outside linebacker.

A cornerback.

Bang on Fritz. I agree with your analysis.

Fritz
04-11-2013, 05:52 PM
And what I do want, in those first three rounds....

A defensive nose tackle who can't be moved.

An inside linebacker who is tall and fast and mean and smart.

A center who is big and quick and smart.

woodbuck27
04-11-2013, 07:17 PM
And what I do want, in those first three rounds....

A center who is big and quick and smart.

Fritz:

I've got you covered:

http://4.bp.blogspot.com/-VCn5rYDc5EY/UQnAMGDdskI/AAAAAAAAACk/Jkt-O82iLqU/s1600/The-hulk-2003%5B1%5D.jpg

http://t1.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcRg-0pYfXHZqcN1miYYI7Kfc52ArJPU8mNrT28s7G1D_V6_DIBMXw

http://t1.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQ8M8MlMtPqDHqhrONb7fMfJ0GaUDVTF bb5shvWvAET_Mw-zUTY

A center who is big and quick and smart

red
04-11-2013, 08:04 PM

probably because we are dangerously thin at TE right now

we only have 5 or 6 on the active roster

we all know you need at least 7 or 8 in order to compete these days on the special teams battlefield we call the NFL

woodbuck27
04-11-2013, 08:12 PM
Tyler Dunne ‏@TyDunne 3m

He can play ball ! He loves to hit !! 6' - 0 " 217 lbs. SS.

Check out 'the Man in Black' wearing NO. 7 on the LHS Video, bottom of this LINK:

http://www.nfldraftscout.com/ratings/dsprofile.php?pyid=92517&draftyear=2013&genpos=SS

Again...I'll be surprized if he falls to #26.

PACKERS !

woodbuck27
04-11-2013, 08:14 PM
probably because we are dangerously thin at TE right now

we only have 5 or 6 on the active roster

we all know you need at least 7 or 8 in order to compete these days on the special teams battlefield we call the NFL

Ahhhhhh

The Shadow
04-11-2013, 11:58 PM
Eddie Lacy is NOT worthy of a first round pick.

3irty1
04-12-2013, 08:29 AM
He can play ball ! He loves to hit !! 6' - 0 " 217 lbs. SS.

Check out 'the Man in Black' wearing NO. 7 on the LHS Video, bottom of this LINK:

http://www.nfldraftscout.com/ratings/dsprofile.php?pyid=92517&draftyear=2013&genpos=SS

Again...I'll be surprized if he falls to #26.

PACKERS !

I wouldn't be surprised if he was available with our 2nd round pick. Perhaps I just don't see the value in a safety with average linebacker speed. We already did that experiment and its name was Charlie Peprah.

Fritz
04-12-2013, 08:32 AM
Herre's another thing: why do people think that taking a safety in the first or second round will fix the safety problem this year? You could draft the next Nick Collins and he would mostly suck this year. We know this to be true because Nick Collins sucked his first two years.

That's why I wonder if safety is not as urgent a need as we think. We've got the kid from Maine going into year two. He'll be better. And I hope Richardson returns from his injury. Anybody hear anything about his health?

3irty1
04-12-2013, 08:37 AM

An outside linebacker.

A cornerback.

If we were to draft a guard (especially in the first) I'd be happy with that. That guard would probably be Cooper in the 1st or Warford in the 2nd both of which could play center but TJ Lang might be able to move over and play center as well. Either way a guard could be a contributor and a good one.

Pugger
04-12-2013, 08:40 AM
Herre's another thing: why do people think that taking a safety in the first or second round will fix the safety problem this year? You could draft the next Nick Collins and he would mostly suck this year. We know this to be true because Nick Collins sucked his first two years.

That's why I wonder if safety is not as urgent a need as we think. We've got the kid from Maine going into year two. He'll be better. And I hope Richardson returns from his injury. Anybody hear anything about his health?

With the return of Perry plus another pass rusher in this draft to compliment CM3 our secondary could look a heck of lot better than it does presently.

3irty1
04-12-2013, 08:42 AM

If you are going to throw a rookie into the fire and get contributions out of them, Safety is one of the best positions on defense. Most don't really work like Nick Collins who made a position change from college where he was a CB. The position translates very well from College to the NFL which is probably why the position busts so infrequently. Also Capers likes using extra safeties in his dime packages so another one wouldn't be the worst.

Fritz
04-12-2013, 08:47 AM
I agree with your last line, but I also remember Darren Sharper taking two or three years to develop. Thus, I am not sure of your assertion that the transition is a quick one.

pbmax
04-12-2013, 08:53 AM
TJ Lang would be a very large center. Especially height-wise. Isn't Lang 6-3 or 6-4?

3irty1
04-12-2013, 09:43 AM
TJ Lang would be a very large center. Especially height-wise. Isn't Lang 6-3 or 6-4?

McCarthy has clearly been looking for a big center for some time. He tried Spitz there, then there was the Nick McDonald thing. It makes sense with all the teams switching to the 3-4 around the league.

Lang is 6-4 but that's certainly not too tall. Mangold, Birk, Mack, Pouncy, and many more are all that size. There are a couple in the league that are really tall. Unger is 6'5" the shitty Cook guy for Dallas is 6'6".

smuggler
04-12-2013, 09:45 AM
I'm not so sure large is bad at center, unless it also means slow.

Fritz
04-12-2013, 10:20 AM
Well, that equation might come down to the question of whether the Packers can get a guard who's better than Lang in the draft, and if Lang will be better than any center they could pick up in the draft.

woodbuck27
04-12-2013, 12:31 PM
I wouldn't be surprised if he was available with our 2nd round pick. Perhaps I just don't see the value in a safety with average linebacker speed. We already did that experiment and its name was Charlie Peprah.

Somewhere in cyber space I saw a thingy scenario about TT trading all the way up to where DT Sharrif Floyd had droped to spot NO. 11. Yikes that would cost a ransome!

Ted Thompson won't be trading up for anyone not named Datone Jones and maybe Datone Jones is a tad dramatic for Ted Thompson.

TT can sit at #26 and get a decent OT or DT.

PACKERS !

woodbuck27
04-12-2013, 12:38 PM
With the return of Perry plus another pass rusher in this draft to compliment CM3 our secondary could look a heck of lot better than it does presently.

I'm looking at an OLBer in my mock at pick #122 in the fourth round. All my picks are going to be 'meat and potatoes 'guys.

PACKERS !

woodbuck27
04-12-2013, 12:42 PM
I agree with your last line, but I also remember Darren Sharper taking two or three years to develop. Thus, I am not sure of your assertion that the transition is a quick one.

For picks after the top two rounds your right. That first round pick this year better be a starter and a contributor. I'm trying to mock the first three rounds that give us hope there.

smuggler
04-12-2013, 01:11 PM
If memory serves, Sharper was also one of those CB/S transitions from the college game to the pro game.

Fritz
04-12-2013, 03:38 PM
If memory serves, Sharper was also one of those CB/S transitions from the college game to the pro game.

Mere facts. They mean nothing. I refuse to change my point of view in the face of contradictory factual evidence.

Guiness
04-12-2013, 04:13 PM
I wouldn't be surprised if he was available with our 2nd round pick. Perhaps I just don't see the value in a safety with average linebacker speed. We already did that experiment and its name was Aaron Rouse.

ftfy

wist43
04-12-2013, 04:18 PM
McCarthy has clearly been looking for a big center for some time. He tried Spitz there, then there was the Nick McDonald thing. It makes sense with all the teams switching to the 3-4 around the league.

Lang is 6-4 but that's certainly not too tall. Mangold, Birk, Mack, Pouncy, and many more are all that size. There are a couple in the league that are really tall. Unger is 6'5" the shitty Cook guy for Dallas is 6'6".

I don't think TT and MM have been looking for a center very hard then - since they've never drafted one. Unless you count Junius Coston in 2005... they've drafted a bunch of "versatile" OL and tried to throw 'em in there, but they don't seem to be too exorcised over finding a decent center.

I'd be shocked if TT drafted a center.

Guiness
04-12-2013, 04:20 PM

Oh, but won't you think of the pad level!

3irty1
04-12-2013, 04:25 PM
I don't think TT and MM have been looking for a center very hard then - since they've never drafted one. Unless you count Junius Coston in 2005... they've drafted a bunch of "versatile" OL and tried to throw 'em in there, but they don't seem to be too exorcised over finding a decent center.

I'd be shocked if TT drafted a center.

They drafted Wells too. That's pretty significant.

Joemailman
04-12-2013, 05:26 PM
Sherman drafted Wells.

3irty1
04-12-2013, 05:38 PM
Sherman drafted Wells.

Oops I'm sorry.

Carolina_Packer
04-12-2013, 10:32 PM
If Lane Johnson were to fall to #26, and the coaching staff was unsure of Sherrod's prognosis for return, do you have to take him? Newhouse was playing out of position, trying his best, but he's not a LT. Here's a link (http://www.turfshowtimes.com/2013-nfl-draft/2013/3/5/4040992/2013-nfl-draft-lane-johnson-scouting-report) to an article on Lane Johnson and some video.

Bretsky
04-13-2013, 12:09 AM
Yes, you have to take him....but this is a pipe dream. I think there are teams around pick 15 wondering if he falls

Carolina_Packer
04-13-2013, 01:43 PM
Here's an interesting link (http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/9114874/st-louis-rams-lt-jake-long-path-proves-demise-left-tackle-espn-magazine) to an article about how the value of the franchise LT is less than it once was. The QB drop-backs may be shorter than they once were and they may release the ball quicker, but it's gotta be hard to have a good down-field passing game without a few more moments to throw. In order to have those moments, you need a pocket, or a QB who is good at avoiding the rush, like Rodgers. That said, when he starts moving to create a passing lane, I am concerned once he breaks the pocket about the hits he's going to take, let alone the sacks. I'd rather just get a true blue LT and be done with it. Newhouse can provide line depth, and the ability to back-up Guard and Tackle.

woodbuck27
04-15-2013, 08:34 AM
Here's an interesting link (http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/9114874/st-louis-rams-lt-jake-long-path-proves-demise-left-tackle-espn-magazine) to an article about how the value of the franchise LT is less than it once was. The QB drop-backs may be shorter than they once were and they may release the ball quicker, but it's gotta be hard to have a good down-field passing game without a few more moments to throw. In order to have those moments, you need a pocket, or a QB who is good at avoiding the rush, like Rodgers. That said, when he starts moving to create a passing lane, I am concerned once he breaks the pocket about the hits he's going to take, let alone the sacks. I'd rather just get a true blue LT and be done with it. Newhouse can provide line depth, and the ability to back-up Guard and Tackle.

Yes !

TT needs to draft without flash in Rounds 1 and 2.

As I see it. Clearly the biggest priority is the OL. Marshall Newhouse is a better value for the Packers if moved inside to play guard. The trial at LT and Newhouse seriously should end.

Derek Sherrod is 'this season and not contributing' away, from being declared 'a bust'. Ted Thompson would be well advised to back himself up at LT.

We have a very expensive QB that needs to be protected. That #26 pick should be intelligently invested right there. I'm sick of GM's spouting 'this/that guy was BPA on our board'. An excuse for incompetence and due diligence.

Having posted that it's this:

DJ Fluker isn't likely to fall to pick #26. If he does, it's a gift for TT.

Realistically what's left are interesting choices. OT's Menelik Watson, Florida State, originally from the U.K. and physically gifted but will he stick with football? Then there's a fine athletic man in Terron Armstead; from Arkansas-Pine Bluff. He might be a prize inspite of his inexperience and coming from a lesser conference!?

What do you do? Flip a coin? Heads Watson ... Tails Armstead.

So much that isn't perfect looking carefully at that #26 pick.

Then there's some drop off to OT's Dallas Thomas, Tennessee; Oday Aboushi, Virginia; Reid Fragel, Ohio State and Justin Pugh, Syracuse.

A) TT would be well advised to go BPA/OL with his first round pick at #26. Given that, trading down isn't an option for this draft and an upgrade.

The second option and a telling sign

B) A replacement prospect for CB Tramone Williams or a BPA/CB. That's logical for too many reasons. Besides anything else I see...it's his age and cost Vs contribution. TT has to go CB in this draft someplace.

C) A replacement prospect for TE Jermichael Finley; BPA/TE doesn't appear to be a high priority in this draft. Next season it might be!?

PACKERS !

The Shadow
04-15-2013, 09:19 PM
Like it or not, we are now in the position of both finding ways to counter the read option and getting just better generally on defense. Our offense is our strength; our weakness is our defense. It would be nice to add another offensive lineman - but it is imperative that we address the defense.

cheesner
04-15-2013, 10:29 PM
A.J. Klein is from Iowa State, not Ohio State. Too bad. That would have made great conversation if TT could draft a LB from Ohio State named A.J. who is big on intangibles but maybe not an exceptional athlete.
Quick quiz - who was a better athlete coming out of college : AJ Hawk or Clay Matthews?

Arthur Brown
Kawaan Short
Sylvester Williams
Travis Frederick
Giovani Bernard

wist43
04-16-2013, 02:26 AM
Cornelius Washington, LB, Georgia, ran a 4.53 40 at 6'4", 265. Looked much better as a Jr. Almost looked lazy at times out on the field, wasn't the same guy as his Jr year. Seems to have a ton of ability. Kind of guy you have to sit down and talk to for a while to find out where his head is.

Couple of other guys really growing on me - Sylvester Williams and Jonathan Hankins.

Would be okay coming away with any one of the three of Brandon Williams, Sylvester Williams, or Hankins.

Others I like...

Brian Winters, G, Kent State
Brian Schwenke, C, Cal
Hugh Thornton, OL, Ill (really like this guy)
Corey Lemonier, LB, Auburn
Sio Moore, LB, UConn (move him inside)

smuggler
04-16-2013, 02:39 AM
Quick quiz - who was a better athlete coming out of college : AJ Hawk or Clay Matthews?

Push. Matthews quicker. Hawk faster. Matthews longer/taller. Hawk more leap.

The difference was the college dominance.

3irty1
04-16-2013, 07:16 AM
Cornelius Washington, LB, Georgia, ran a 4.53 40 at 6'4", 265. Looked much better as a Jr. Almost looked lazy at times out on the field, wasn't the same guy as his Jr year. Seems to have a ton of ability. Kind of guy you have to sit down and talk to for a while to find out where his head is.

Couple of other guys really growing on me - Sylvester Williams and Jonathan Hankins.

Would be okay coming away with any one of the three of Brandon Williams, Sylvester Williams, or Hankins.

Others I like...

Brian Schwenke, C, Cal
Hugh Thornton, OL, Ill (really like this guy)
Corey Lemonier, LB, Auburn
Sio Moore, LB, UConn (move him inside)

I agree with your list for the most part but I'm a bit leery of Washington. He's a freak athlete for sure but watching him play is really frustrating. If he ever learns football though he could be Cameron Wake type. Very explosive.

3irty1
04-16-2013, 07:53 AM

Arthur Brown
Kawaan Short
Sylvester Williams
Travis Frederick
Giovani Bernard

Hawk's combine numbers were superfreakish for a guy weighing 248 lbs. They would have been good for a safety and even for a cornerback when you take into account that he ran a 4.47 at his pro day.

40 Yrd Dash: 4.59
20 Yrd Dash: 2.72
10 Yrd Dash: 1.56
225 Lb. Bench Reps: 24
Vertical Jump: 40
Broad Jump: 09'07"
20 Yrd Shuttle: 3.96
3-Cone Drill: 6.82

Clay's numbers were very impressive as well but IMO not quite the freakshow that Hawk had. Hawk was the Calvin Johnson of linebackers.

40 Yrd Dash: 4.62
20 Yrd Dash: 2.68
10 Yrd Dash: 1.49
225 Lb. Bench Reps: 23
Vertical Jump: 35 1/2
Broad Jump: 10'01"
20 Yrd Shuttle: 4.18
3-Cone Drill: 6.90

smuggler
04-16-2013, 10:59 AM
Those numbers are very close. The big disparity is the leaping ability, which is mitigated by Matthews' extra height and arm length as well as the fact that leaping ability isn't that important for an ILB.

3irty1
04-16-2013, 11:54 AM
Those numbers are very close. The big disparity is the leaping ability, which is mitigated by Matthews' extra height and arm length as well as the fact that leaping ability isn't that important for an ILB.

Hawks 40 inch vert might be just a cherry on the Sunday since he's an ILB but Clay was obviously being looked at as a passrusher so for him the vert and his size are the most important things. 35.5 is good but certainly not elite, but also remember he was 15 lbs lighter back then.

What Hawk was to ILB is more like what DeMarcus Ware was for 3-4 OLBers. Ware:

40 Yrd Dash: 4.56
20 Yrd Dash: 2.71
10 Yrd Dash: 1.62
225 Lb. Bench Reps: 27
Vertical Jump: 38 1/2
Broad Jump: 10'02"
20 Yrd Shuttle: 4.07
3-Cone Drill: 6.85

ThunderDan
04-16-2013, 02:31 PM

Good to see my favorite Milw Buck from the 70s didn't have to change positions to play college football.

George Cumby
04-17-2013, 12:29 AM
Good to see my favorite Milw Buck from the 70s didn't have to change positions to play college football.

That was a great beard.

Fritz
04-17-2013, 06:00 AM
As a Pistons fan back in the day, I was loathe to see them trade Bob Lanier to the Bucks. Back then, you needed a big-time big man in the middle to compete, and they were few and far between. I never did understand trading him.

Patler
04-17-2013, 09:59 AM
That was a great beard.

As a guy who has sported facial hair for a good portion of my post competitive athletics life, I can't understand how some of these guys can stand to play with the big bushy beards. The more closely cropped ones I can understand, but not the long, full ones. Yet, a lot of athletes have them at times.

woodbuck27
04-17-2013, 10:02 AM
Like it or not, we are now in the position of both finding ways to counter the read option and getting just better generally on defense. Our offense is our strength; our weakness is our defense. It would be nice to add another offensive lineman - but it is imperative that we address the defense.

For sure your correct Shadow.

PACKERS !

woodbuck27
04-17-2013, 10:08 AM
As a guy who has sported facial hair for a good portion of my post competitive athletics life, I can't understand how some of these guys can stand to play with the big bushy beards. The more closely cropped ones I can understand, but not the long, full ones. Yet, a lot of athletes have them at times.

http://t3.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQj0uVtr5C5vgZHfnKhmfdzznDqlHNWD QVqyX5NmaXJk42AdXVaVg

http://t1.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcTqUPxNS2b7QxxibalOoEhavkx71ackN cUYYu-hC5D3KjA0XE2o

woodbuck27
04-17-2013, 10:14 AM
As a Pistons fan back in the day, I was loathe to see them trade Bob Lanier to the Bucks. Back then, you needed a big-time big man in the middle to compete, and they were few and far between. I never did understand trading him.

http://25.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_m2pex25uwd1qzwq3do1_400.jpg

Became, Sadly For You Fritz:

http://www.eba-stats.com/images/legends/Bob_Lanier.jpg

The Shadow
04-18-2013, 04:29 PM
In Ted I Trust.

Joemailman
04-18-2013, 06:07 PM
Byron Jerideau - NT - South Carolina - visits Packers. Not expected to be drafted, but somebody you might see Tt bring in as an UDFA. Listed at 6-0-5/8" and 334 pounds.

http://www.cornerblitz.com/2013/Features/UTR-Byron-Jerideau.aspx

The Shadow
04-19-2013, 09:52 PM
Perhaps a s an undrafted signing?

Fritz
04-20-2013, 08:35 AM
Byron Jerideau - NT - South Carolina - visits Packers. Not expected to be drafted, but somebody you might see Tt bring in as an UDFA. Listed at 6-0-5/8" and 334 pounds.

Size-wise reminds me of one of Wolf's 3rd round picks. Some short guy named Steve, who looked like a fire plug but played like a butt plug.

pbmax
04-20-2013, 09:52 AM
OK, draftniks. Can Datone Jones play DE in a 3-4? Gil Brandt says no, but most of the other write-ups say yes. He switched between DT and DE at UCLA and would seem to be big enough. Does he have the game to do it?

3irty1
04-20-2013, 01:12 PM
OK, draftniks. Can Datone Jones play DE in a 3-4? Gil Brandt says no, but most of the other write-ups say yes. He switched between DT and DE at UCLA and would seem to be big enough. Does he have the game to do it?

He could do it but he'll be higher on the board of the Wade Phillips type 3-4's and 4-3 teams than ours I would think.

wist43
04-20-2013, 02:16 PM

Well, we certainly need a fire hydrant in the middle of our line. I'd imagine he gets winded easy, but you're only looking to rotate him anyway.

I liked what I saw of him.

wist43
04-20-2013, 02:19 PM
He could do it but he'll be higher on the board of the Wade Phillips type 3-4's and 4-3 teams than ours I would think.

He's a cross between Jerel Worthy and CJ Wilson - we already have this guy on our roster. I don't want to spend a 1st round pick on this guy.

smuggler
04-20-2013, 07:43 PM
Heh, no way would we take that guy in the first round. WHO the fuck is JUSTIN HARRELL???

woodbuck27
04-21-2013, 05:21 AM

OK this looks like a good spot to drop this information:

pb:

I've got DE Datone Jones down as a 3-4 DE based on stuff I've studied but yes....Gil Brandt reports that Datone Jones has to play DE in a 4-3 'D'.

http://www.nfldraftscout.com/ratings/dsprofile.php?pyid=83250&draftyear=2013&genpos=DE

I had him more likely than not more gone to be gone from the board before we pick at #26.

Yesterday there was a news development that might influence a change in my previous assessment:

http://www.nfldraftscout.com/ratings/dsprofile.php?pyid=90466&draftyear=2013&genpos=DE

Cornellius 'Tank' Carridine , Florida State Seminoles, 6'4 and 276 pounds, looks in full recovery from his knee injury (ACL) Nov. 24, 2012.

'Tank' Carradine is just 135 days removed from having surgery to repair the torn ACL that cut his season short by two (2) games. Inspite of that he had 11 SACK's and was second on the team in tackles with 80 including an impressive 13 tackles for loss.

He's already had a Pro Day on April 8,2013 where he lifted 32 Rep's. An improvement from his 28 Rep's at the Combine.

On Sat. April 20,2013 (yesterday) he was able to run and did so extremely well. He ran a 4.75 Sec. 40 yard dash.

http://www.sbnation.com/nfl/2013/4/20/4246450/cornellius-carradine-40-yard-dash

NFL Draft 2013: Cornellius Carradine runs a 4.75 40-yard dash

By Scott Coleman .... Apr 20 2013, 3:05 PM

" Most mock drafts have Carradine going somewhere during the later portions in the first round.

*** SB Nation's latest mock draft has him going No. 19 overall to the New York Giants. Now that it's pretty clear that his knee will be completely healthy once he returns to the field in September, Carradine could see his stock rise in the coming days. " Fr. LINK above

*** That might push DE Datone Jones closer to our Pick at #26.

GO TED GO !

rbaloha1
04-21-2013, 08:19 AM
Eric Reid, Jesse Williams and Zach Line.

red
04-21-2013, 09:05 AM
so, do we really need a DE? according to bleacher report, we already have 4 of the top 36 3-4 DE's in the NFL

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/1444335-br-nfl-1000-2013-top-35-3-4-defensive-ends

also, IMO 280 IS too small for a 3-4 DE, those guys gotta be around 300 minimum

rbaloha1
04-21-2013, 09:09 AM
so, do we really need a DE? according to bleacher report, we already have 4 of the top 36 3-4 DE's in the NFL

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/1444335-br-nfl-1000-2013-top-35-3-4-defensive-ends

also, IMO 280 IS too small for a 3-4 DE, those guys gotta be around 300 minimum

Yes, Pickett is aging, Raji could be too expensive and Wilson is a temporary fix.

Plus Worthy is hurt. Jolly helps.

A long de with experience against spread option would help.

red
04-21-2013, 09:18 AM
i think we're looking at NT not DE, as evidenced by us looking at the steeler NT

the only guy i like in the first round for a NT would be jessie williams

rbaloha1
04-21-2013, 09:21 AM
i think we're looking at NT not DE, as evidenced by us looking at the steeler NT

the georgia nt is also a good option.

woodbuck27
04-21-2013, 09:50 AM

red:

It seems that the Packers need has as it's NO. 1 priority, a 3-4 DE. Like you that surprized me. I would have said strong wide bodied NT/DT was a bigger priority. That for at least these reasons:

a)The age of Ryan Pickett; b) the contract status and play of BJ Raji c) the exhaustion/wear down factor of these two DL starters.

According to DRAFTTEK...The top priorities are in order:

#1 >>> 3-4 DE
#2 >>> SS
#3 >>> 3-4 OLB
#4 >>> LT
#5 >>> SS ILB
#6 >>> 3 Down RB (RBF)
#7 >>> WRF and WRS

For your analysis:

http://www.drafttek.com/teamneeds2013.asp

GO PACK GO !

Joemailman
04-21-2013, 10:41 AM
Everyone is talking about the Packers needing DE's with length. However, early in the draft, most of the DL who are 6-4 or taller are too light to play in the 3-4. It's really not until you get into the middle of the draft that you start seeing guys who are 6-4/6-5 and 300+ pounds.

rbaloha1
04-21-2013, 10:44 AM
No more tweeners.

woodbuck27
04-21-2013, 10:53 AM
Everyone is talking about the Packers needing DE's with length. However, early in the draft, most of the DL who are 6-4 or taller are too light to play in the 3-4. It's really not until you get into the middle of the draft that you start seeing guys who are 6-4/6-5 and 300+ pounds.

http://www.nfl.com/draft/2013/tracker#dt-tabs:dt-by-position/dt-by-position-input:dl

I count about 15 ('GRADED' DE and DT) that will be possibly available after Round Three.

PACKERS!

red
04-21-2013, 10:58 AM
the georgia nt is also a good option.

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

you haven't been around enough lately to know how much i don't want that guy

a NT needs to be strong, that guy is weak as shit. he gets manhandled 1 on 1. forget about him being able to hold his ground against a double team

guy has the size, but IMO, he should be nothing more than a mid round prospect

rbaloha1
04-21-2013, 11:19 AM
NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

a NT needs to be strong, that guy is weak as shit. he gets manhandled 1 on 1. forget about him being able to hold his ground against a double team

okay -- i trust you.

who else other than williams from bama?

red
04-21-2013, 11:26 AM
thats where it really sucks. that link that woody gave tells you all you really need to know

hankins from ohio state is the only other guy with a NT body thats being talked about going in the first or second round

there are some mid round guys with the body, but i have no clue about any of those guys to tell the truth

rbaloha1
04-21-2013, 11:31 AM
thats where it really sucks. that link that woody gave tells you all you really need to know

hankins from ohio state is the only other guy with a NT body thats being talked about going in the first or second round

there are some mid round guys with the body, but i have no clue about any of those guys to tell the truth

interesting that SI projected Star dropping to the Packers at #26 -- highly doubt it.

IMO if Star drops significantly TT should move up and nab this guy.

Joemailman
04-21-2013, 11:37 AM

I'm starting to think more and more that TT is not going to draft DL in the 1st round. The situation just screams for a trade down. I think TT could trade down 10 spots and still get Jesse Williams or Hankins.

Joemailman
04-21-2013, 11:50 AM
interesting that SI projected Star dropping to the Packers at #26 -- highly doubt it.

IMO if Star drops significantly TT should move up and nab this guy.

Pat Kirwan (who I believe actually knows what he's talking about) has him going to Carolina at 14. http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/draft/fullnflmockdraft-PatKirwan

TT has never trade up in the 1st round, and I don't see him doing it this year.

rbaloha1
04-21-2013, 11:53 AM
Pat Kirwan (who I believe actually knows what he's talking about) has him going to Carolina at 14. http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/draft/fullnflmockdraft-PatKirwan

TT has never trade up in the 1st round, and I don't see him doing it this year.

Current print issue with Peter King has Star to the packers.

What about Clay Matthews -- didn't the Packers move up?

If Star drops, TT should consider.

Joemailman
04-21-2013, 12:00 PM
Current print issue with Peter King has Star to the packers.

What about Clay Matthews -- didn't the Packers move up?

If Star drops, TT should consider.

What I meant was, TT has never traded his 1st, plus another pick, to get a higher 1st. In 2009, TT traded 2 2nd's and a 3rd to move up in to the 1st round to take Matthews. In 2008 TT traded out of the 1st round, but every other year he has stood pat with his 1st round pick.

rbaloha1
04-21-2013, 12:05 PM
What I meant was, TT has never traded his 1st, plus another pick, to get a higher 1st. In 2009, TT traded 2 2nd's and a 3rd to move up in to the 1st round to take Matthews. In 2008 TT traded out of the 1st round, but every other year he has stood pat with his 1st round pick.

Okay package pics to get Star assuming he drops to the 20's.

rbaloha1
04-21-2013, 01:37 PM
Manti Teo if available.

pbmax
04-21-2013, 01:56 PM
Rumor Time!

Jersey Al - ALLGBP ‏@JerseyAlGBP 15m
Well... I've been told to expect a surprise by the #Packers in the first round of the #NFLDraft. ~puts on thinking cap...~

Jersey Al - ALLGBP ‏@JerseyAlGBP 5m
In the "good News" department,been told the #Packers have cooled on Eddie Lacy. Three weeks ago they were hot and heavy...

rbaloha1
04-21-2013, 01:57 PM
Rumor Time!

Jersey Al - ALLGBP ‏@JerseyAlGBP 15m
Well... I've been told to expect a surprise by the #Packers in the first round of the #NFLDraft. ~puts on thinking cap...~

Jersey Al - ALLGBP ‏@JerseyAlGBP 5m
In the "good News" department,been told the #Packers have cooled on Eddie Lacy. Three weeks ago they were hot and heavy...

Who are these clowns?

pbmax
04-21-2013, 02:00 PM
Who are these clowns?

These "clowns" as you so derisively refer to them are the Mongers of Rumor. If not for them and Florio, we would have nothing but speculation that Thompson's breath smells bad.

rbaloha1
04-21-2013, 02:05 PM
These "clowns" as you so derisively refer to them are the Mongers of Rumor. If not for them and Florio, we would have nothing but speculation that Thompson's breath smells bad.

Anybody can tweet this stuff.

Hey the NFL draft starts on Thursday.

woodbuck27
04-21-2013, 02:18 PM

"speculation....Thompson's breath smells bad" pbmax

That's what I'm wondering. If so.... can Packerrats $kick$ for a few bottles of SCOPE. OK I make a motion. Let's go big. A half dozen bottles of:

http://t2.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcRGtDrViEE0Ntq_IrIpmRLQh_s-7Qwns9Y6-SGU5zTPfRRLlAsSKw

Ted is worth it !

rbaloha1
04-21-2013, 02:20 PM
"speculation....Thompson's breath smells bad" pbmax

That's what I'm wondering. If so.... can Packerrats $kick$ for a few bottles of SCOPE. OK I make a motion. Let's go big. A half dozen bottles of:

http://t2.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcRGtDrViEE0Ntq_IrIpmRLQh_s-7Qwns9Y6-SGU5zTPfRRLlAsSKw

Ted is worth it !

Finally some insightful analysis.

pbmax
04-21-2013, 02:39 PM
Anybody can tweet this stuff.

Hey the NFL draft starts on Thursday.

Anyone can. But that guy actually does know a couple of scouts who either are, or talk to, a couple of the Packer's guys. Its a free version of McGinn's column. It might all be spin or dated information. But it isn't simply happening in his head.

rbaloha1
04-21-2013, 02:41 PM
Anyone can. But that guy actually does know a couple of scouts who either are, or talk to, a couple of the Packer's guys. Its a free version of McGinn's column. It might all be spin or dated information. But it isn't simply happening in his head.

another unnamed source tweety bird

pbmax
04-21-2013, 02:49 PM
another unnamed source tweety bird

Just put me on ignore then. :D

packrulz
04-21-2013, 06:12 PM
Just put me on ignore then. :D
No, seriously, keep the tweets coming, I like to read them. I'm wondering if the surprise might be a WR like Patterson or Woods would be tough to pass up.

red
04-21-2013, 06:48 PM
Okay package pics to get Star assuming he drops to the 20's.

i don't think there's anyway he drops that far

he was a legit top 5 pic until the whole heart issue came up, then he started free falling

but supposedly he's been given a clear bill of health

i would be shocked if he dropped out of the top 10

pbmax
04-21-2013, 06:57 PM
Brian Carriveau ‏@BrianCarriveau 52m
New on CheeseheadTV: Datone Jones an Enigma as 3-4 Defensive Line Prospect http://bit.ly/11BbIyF #Packers

http://cheeseheadtv.com/blog/datone-jones-an-enigma-as-3-4-defensive-line-prospect

I recommend the article. Its a pretty good read on the kid and covers the positives and pitfalls of him in the Packer defense.

wist43
04-21-2013, 07:24 PM
NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

okay -- i trust you.

who else other than williams from bama?

I agree with red about the kid from Georgia - I don't want him either.

I really like Brandon Williams though - thought he might be available in the 3rd round, but I've seen him going in the 2nd in some mocks. We need to come away with at least one 2-gap DL in this draft. Brandon Williams and Hankins are the best available I think.

I don't trust Jesse Williams b/c of his build. He's soooo top heavy and thin legged. Good player, but will he stay healthy on the next level??

rbaloha1
04-21-2013, 07:24 PM
New on CheeseheadTV: Datone Jones an Enigma as 3-4 Defensive Line Prospect http://bit.ly/11BbIyF #Packers

http://cheeseheadtv.com/blog/datone-jones-an-enigma-as-3-4-defensive-line-prospect

I recommend the article. Its a pretty good read on the kid and covers the positives and pitfalls of him in the Packer defense.

Good site. No inside info but good speculating.

red
04-21-2013, 08:01 PM
I really like Brandon Williams though - thought he might be available in the 3rd round, but I've seen him going in the 2nd in some mocks. We need to come away with at least one 2-gap DL in this draft. Brandon Williams and Hankins are the best available I think.

i was just reading about him on the can an hour ago or so

sounds intriguing, maybe a 2nd or 3rd rounder

woodbuck27
04-21-2013, 08:55 PM
I agree with red about the kid from Georgia - I don't want him either.

I don't trust Jesse Williams b/c of his build. He's soooo top heavy and thin legged. Good player, but will he stay healthy on the next level??

If TT stands pat in this draft he must not hesitate if Brandon Williams is available at #55.

As it seems more and more likely. TT has to be scrambling every day to trade out of #26 to get two 2nd and 3rd round picks.

Even if that comes to fruition. TT should draft The strong man (DT Brandon Williams) at #55.

Go Ted GO !

The Shadow
04-21-2013, 10:18 PM
This is a lot like wondering what will be under the Christmas tree.

woodbuck27
04-21-2013, 10:23 PM
This is a lot like wondering what will be under the Christmas tree.

This draft offers many intrigues. To me is more interesting then some in the recent past. This draft is what might be deemed 'a somewhat dysfunctional class'.

Let the beat go on.

PACKERS !

wist43
04-21-2013, 10:27 PM

I just see Jones as having a limited ceiling on the next level.

He tries to make a comparison to Watt, but I don't buy that at all. Watt is a beast b/c he has size, quickness, and short area burst and power. Jones ran a faster 40, but Watt was quite a bit quicker in the agility drills - and it shows up on game tape.

There will just be too many good players available at 26 to be taking another projection. I like Margus Hunt as a prospect better than Jones, but I'm not sure I'd pull the trigger on him at 26.

I'd like to trade down and consider Hankins or Sylvester Williams a few picks back; or, BPA and Brandon Williams with the 55th pick.

This is such a wide open draft, it'll be interesting to see how it shakes out.

woodbuck27
04-21-2013, 10:47 PM
I just see Jones as having a limited ceiling on the next level.

He tries to make a comparison to Watt, but I don't buy that at all. Watt is a beast b/c he has size, quickness, and short area burst and power. Jones ran a faster 40, but Watt was quite a bit quicker in the agility drills - and it shows up on game tape.

There will just be too many good players available at 26 to be taking another projection. I like Margus Hunt as a prospect better than Jones, but I'm not sure I'd pull the trigger on him at 26.

I'd like to trade down and consider Hankins or Sylvester Williams a few picks back; or, BPA and Brandon Williams with the 55th pick.

This is such a wide open draft, it'll be interesting to see how it shakes out.

Fr. the above LINK:

"In terms of pure athletic ability, Watt trumped Jones when it came to the measured drills at the Combine. Jones ran a faster 40-yard dash (4.80 vs. 4.84) but Watt had more bench press reps (34 vs. 29), a higher vertical jump (37 inches vs. 31.5) and horizonal jump (120 inches vs. 112), a faster three-cone drill (6.88 seconds vs. 7.32) and short shuttle (4.21 seconds vs. 4.32).

Another player with similar size to Jones is former Packers and current Chargers defensive lineman Jarius Wynn who’s 6-3 and 285 lbs. For three years in Green Bay, Wynn could never carve out much more than a part-time role as a situational pass rusher. Even then, his contributions were modest at best."

Comment woodbuck27:

Is Datone Jones .... JJ Watt or Jarius Wynn? More Wynn than Watt?

I think he's somewhere in between.

but it's here:

I call Datone Jones... 'Hollywood ' ... for a reason.

PACKERS !! GO Ted GO !

swede
04-21-2013, 10:49 PM

Thanks for that. At least I know the kid is a good kid, but I really think he is Jarius Wynn and not JJ Watt.

Just because your college coach moves you around the D line you do not necessarily earn the title "versatile." The coach is versatile, maybe, but not that player.

I'd be shocked if he is our guy at #26.

I might take him in the 2nd.

And how about Watt's combine numbers! Hoowhee. A 37" vertical? Nuts!

The Shadow
04-21-2013, 11:19 PM
I think he is also more Jarius than JJ.

pbmax
04-22-2013, 12:03 AM
Thanks for that. At least I know the kid is a good kid, but I really think he is Jarius Wynn and not JJ Watt.

Just because your college coach moves you around the D line you do not necessarily earn the title "versatile." The coach is versatile, maybe, but not that player.

I'd be shocked if he is our guy at #26.

I might take him in the 2nd.

And how about Watt's combine numbers! Hoowhee. A 37" vertical? Nuts!

The only question there is about Watt is how the heck did he not merit a D1 scholarship out of High School?

pbmax
04-22-2013, 08:58 AM
Consensus begins to congeal about the 26th Draft Pick:

http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/nfl-shutdown-corner/greg-cosell-mock-draft-picks-17-32-132849912--nfl.html

26. Green Bay Packers: My pick is defensive lineman Datone Jones of UCLA. In some ways, Jones reminded me of Richard Seymour when Seymour came out of Georgia in 2001. Seymour was a bigger man at 315 pounds, which of course enhanced his value significantly; it was one of the reasons he was the sixth pick in the draft. Jones is 280 pounds but his overall skill set is somewhat similar. I would describe Jones as a chameleon. By that I mean he played both bigger and smaller than his 280 pounds. He showed outstanding short area quickness with both explosion and power. He was very effective as a gap penetrator. He was active and disruptive, and strong and powerful. He has great position and scheme versatility, with the attributes to play 3-4 DE, 4-3 DE and 4-3 DT. My sense is he’d be most effective in a one-gap scheme. One final point: I believe he will develop into a better pass rusher in the NFL than he was in college.

rbaloha1
04-22-2013, 09:21 AM
Consensus begins to congeal about the 26th Draft Pick:

http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/nfl-shutdown-corner/greg-cosell-mock-draft-picks-17-32-132849912--nfl.html

Packers need to stay away from tweeners. Draft guys that size wise are ready for a certain position.

swede
04-22-2013, 11:48 AM
Packers need to stay away from tweeners. Draft guys that size wise are ready for a certain position.

There. You see buddy. I know that I had formed a positive opinion of you before you went all negative attention on us.

That is an excellent observation regarding avoiding players whose sizes are not prototypical. Of course, you get guys like Elmer Dumerville and that shoots THAT theory down as being infallible, but mostly I think teams are smart to draft the right frame for the job--ESPECIALLY in the early rounds.

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/e/e5/Plain-M%26Ms-Pile.jpg/280px-Plain-M%26Ms-Pile.jpg

rbaloha1
04-22-2013, 11:51 AM
There. You see buddy. I know that I had formed a positive opinion of you before you went all negative attention on us.

That is an excellent observation regarding avoiding players whose sizes are not prototypical. Of course, you get guys like Elmer Dumerville and that shoots THAT theory down as being infallible, but mostly I think teams are smart to draft the right frame for the job--ESPECIALLY in the early rounds.

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/e/e5/Plain-M%26Ms-Pile.jpg/280px-Plain-M%26Ms-Pile.jpg

No negative attention -- my fan club mandates that the posters with large word counts require scrutiny :knll:

rbaloha1
04-22-2013, 11:59 AM

ED is undersized not a tweener -- there is a difference.

pbmax
04-22-2013, 01:45 PM
More mongering of rumors:

Packer Report ‏@PackerReport 1h
It's "fishing" season and lots of trade talk going on with draft approaching. That said, GB might be willing to move down, source says.

Packer Report ‏@PackerReport 58m
If they're trying to trade back, I bet they're looking for WR value.

Packer Report ‏@PackerReport 39m
Said this a bunch: You want to be pass-first team with three proven WRs and Finley?

Source might be right or not. Packers probably always make these calls after the drat board nears completion.

But I disagree with Huber about the implication. While I think its likely the Packers draft a WR in the top 3 picks, trading down has nothing to do with getting a WR or being a pass first team. Packers have been a pass first team with less than Nelson, Jones, Cobb and Finley before.

3irty1
04-22-2013, 02:04 PM
More mongering of rumors:

Packer Report ‏@PackerReport 1h
It's "fishing" season and lots of trade talk going on with draft approaching. That said, GB might be willing to move down, source says.

Packer Report ‏@PackerReport 58m
If they're trying to trade back, I bet they're looking for WR value.

Packer Report ‏@PackerReport 39m
Said this a bunch: You want to be pass-first team with three proven WRs and Finley?

Source might be right or not. Packers probably always make these calls after the drat board nears completion.

But I disagree with Huber about the implication. While I think its likely the Packers draft a WR in the top 3 picks, trading down has nothing to do with getting a WR or being a pass first team. Packers have been a pass first team with less than Nelson, Jones, Cobb and Finley before.

With the way the lineups fall, moving down a little could get you Lacy or Reid at a more palatable value than pick 26.

smuggler
04-22-2013, 02:55 PM
I'd love to get Reid at say 38 instead, but I bet someone bites before then.

rbaloha1
04-22-2013, 03:12 PM
I'd love to get Reid at say 38 instead, but I bet someone bites before then.

Some boards have him at round 2.

Take him at #26. Physical big hard hitting safety the Packers need urgently.

Joemailman
04-22-2013, 06:52 PM
I'd be okay with TT taking Reid if there are no D-Linemen worth taking at that spot.

pbmax
04-22-2013, 07:03 PM
SC_DougFarrar ‏@SC_DougFarrar 1h
Not just Jones -- a lot of pass-rushers in this draft class get away with running around blockers in college. NFL is a different story.

SC_DougFarrar ‏@SC_DougFarrar 1h
As much technique work as Jones needs, how do you ignore best totals in the nation in sacks/TFL/FF vs. elite offensive lines?

woodbuck27
04-22-2013, 08:34 PM
I'd be okay with TT taking Reid if there are no D-Linemen worth taking at that spot.

TT has to sometime make a move early on the DL with five DLman in the final year of their contract's. He would do well with three strong picks at *3-4 DE ... or DT; ** Safety and Center; followed by a pick at solid pick at WR for value. He might pick a RB for value.

* Scarce in this draft, with a possible 5-6 available as I'm seeing it now from pick positions 20 to 60.

** Maybe a total of three safety's available in the above same range of picks.

The Center I prefer is Barrett Jones, Alabama for his versatility. He's one of the Big Three available between Pick 's 50 to 75.

I hope that TE Tyler Eifert is gone if Ted uses his #26. It seems after an assessment of DL prospects that TT might be best served going with **FS/SS Eric Reid. He may also take a hard look at **pure SS Jonathan Cyprien, Florida International; if he's not off the board.

** I believe these safety's would start and be difference makers.

PACKERS !

pittstang5
04-22-2013, 08:44 PM
I've added Jamie Collins - OLB - S. Miss. to my "Watch" list. If he lasts to the 3rd round, I'll be screaming for TT to take him.

Bretsky
04-22-2013, 09:18 PM

The reason I kept going back to Reid in round 1 is I think there will be great depth at DL with a couple falling to us at round two while I think the upper level safeties will be gone

rbaloha1
04-22-2013, 09:25 PM
The reason I kept going back to Reid in round 1 is I think there will be great depth at DL with a couple falling to us at round two while I think the upper level safeties will be gone

What about your boy Ball?