PDA

View Full Version : FA visits

Patler
03-28-2013, 10:06 AM
When I started the thread about Huff visiting Green Bay, I had read an article that seemed to suggest he was going to Green Bay first. Obviously that did not happen. Quite often, Green Bay seems to be the last visit free agents make when they go on a meet and greet tour.

This got me to thinking, do the Packers suffer somewhat because Green Bay is not the easiest place to get to?

Thinking back to the days when I traveled a lot for business, if I was making a multi-stop trip and had flexibility, I might choose the one most difficult to get to and out from as the last stop. Many other NFL cities have the advantage of being close to a large airport having direct flights from other NFL cities, or within easy connections. A trip to Green Bay and departing Green Bay requires another half days time coming and going, so putting it at the end of a schedule makes sense to me.

Not that the Packers would be a big participant in free agency anyway, but in some situations it might prevent them from having a chance if a team at an earlier stop makes a take it or leave it offer.

3irty1
03-28-2013, 10:30 AM
When I started the thread about Huff visiting Green Bay, I had read an article that seemed to suggest he was going to Green Bay first. Obviously that did not happen. Quite often, Green Bay seems to be the last visit free agents make when they go on a meet and greet tour.

This got me to thinking, do the Packers suffer somewhat because Green Bay is not the easiest place to get to?

Thinking back to the days when I traveled a lot for business, if I was making a multi-stop trip and had flexibility, I might choose the one most difficult to get to and out from as the last stop. Many other NFL cities have the advantage of being close to a large airport having direct flights from other NFL cities, or within easy connections. A trip to Green Bay and departing Green Bay requires another half days time coming and going, so putting it at the end of a schedule makes sense to me.

Not that the Packers would be a big participant in free agency anyway, but in some situations it might prevent them from having a chance if a team at an earlier stop makes a take it or leave it offer.

When it really really matters, GB has used a private jet to bring guys in. They'll be bringing in prospects soon I imagine to work out before the draft for example. Would you expect situations where the jet is used to erase the deficiency in Green Bay's airport?

Patler
03-28-2013, 11:34 AM
When it really really matters, GB has used a private jet to bring guys in. They'll be bringing in prospects soon I imagine to work out before the draft for example. Would you expect situations where the jet is used to erase the deficiency in Green Bay's airport?

i'm sure that helps. From what I've read in the past, they seem to use a jet owned by someone on the board of directors or something, and it is subject to availability. I don't think they generally lease commercially, do they?

Fritz
03-28-2013, 12:10 PM

If there are strippers on the plane, yes.

red
03-28-2013, 12:53 PM
other teams also don't let players leave the visit without a deal

green bay seems to give a guy a number and letting then shop it around instead of locking them in the stadium until they say yes

swede
03-28-2013, 04:14 PM

green bay seems to give a guy a number and letting then shop it around instead of locking them in the stadium until they say yes

If it works for Red on a date it will work for ted and a free agent.

sharpe1027
03-28-2013, 04:22 PM

On the other hand, Ben Roethlisberger is the "locking them in the stadium until they say yes" type of guy.

Bretsky
03-28-2013, 06:32 PM
On the other hand, Ben Roethlisberger is the "locking them in the stadium until they say yes" type of guy.

My guess is players aren't a rarin to go to GB because the player really doesn't think GB is serious enough to meet their contract hopes. If you're just a sniffin no real need to do anything but put it in the media you may visit

pbmax
03-29-2013, 07:32 AM

Yes he is. Or was, until he got married and that changed everything.

Its been reported before that Thompson does not like to agree to contract parameters before the visits of most FAs. And this also puts them behind teams that do agree ahead of the visit.

I would bet however, that he has made exceptions to this. After Woodson's signing, Thompson was asked directly why this contract amount (in line with the asking price) when he appeared he had no other suitors and he replied that the Packers were told this was the amount it would take to get a deal done. I think a lo to this is Thompson's basic feeling on a guy, how badly he wants him. With most, it doesn't appear he wants them badly enough to break their first estimate of their value.

Patler
03-29-2013, 07:42 AM
I would bet however, that he has made exceptions to this. After Woodson's signing, Thompson was asked directly why this contract amount (in line with the asking price) when he appeared he had no other suitors and he replied that the Packers were told this was the amount it would take to get a deal done. I think a lo to this is Thompson's basic feeling on a guy, how badly he wants him. With most, it doesn't appear he wants them badly enough to break their first estimate of their value.

I think you are right with that. TT once discussed their approach to free agency, when a reporter asked a question about them doing nothing. TT said they work very hard during free agency, even if people don't see it. He said they do detailed evaluations of every FA and establish a value for each. Unfortunately, he said most want and often get substantially more than the Packers evaluate them for, so they never get beyond a casual inquiry of the agent.

Fritz
03-29-2013, 10:08 AM
And in the case of Woodson, too, the organization was more devoid of talent, so perhaps TT felt the pay was worthwhile in part due to that.

I do wonder how close Ted's established value gets to what a player wants or gets elsewhere. But I give the man credit for sticking to his evaluation of worth.

red
03-29-2013, 04:39 PM

gotta do what you gotta do

Rutnstrut
03-29-2013, 05:51 PM
IMO this goes back to what I said in another thread. Other teams seem adept at wooing free agents, TT/Packers not so much. I really think in this day and age of free agency this has to be a strong point of a GM/organization. Whether it be to lure big names in, or to learn how to cater to a young egomaniac you drafted.

MJZiggy
03-29-2013, 08:09 PM
IMO this goes back to what I said in another thread. Other teams seem adept at wooing free agents, TT/Packers not so much. I really think in this day and age of free agency this has to be a strong point of a GM/organization. Whether it be to lure big names in, or to learn how to cater to a young egomaniac you drafted.
Why would someone "woo" a guy who is asking much more than you evaluate him to be worth? And I think that young egomaniac is doing just fine at quarterback. I don't see a lot of our rookies leaving us, now do you?

pbmax
03-30-2013, 10:58 AM

Is there a companion piece to this that complains 3 years later when the locker room is toxic, players are battling coaches and there are no leaders to be found?

woodbuck27
03-30-2013, 12:59 PM

The Minnesota Vikings have this fella:

http://extras.mnginteractive.com/live/media/site569/2012/1026/20121026__Vikings_JaredAllen.jpg

The GREEN BAY PACKERS answer:

http://www.picturesof.net/_images_300/a_janitor_or_custodian_sweeping_a_floor_royalty_fr ee_080727-168246-309018.jpg

Rutnstrut
03-30-2013, 01:44 PM
Why would someone "woo" a guy who is asking much more than you evaluate him to be worth? And I think that young egomaniac is doing just fine at quarterback. I don't see a lot of our rookies leaving us, now do you?

They are all grossly overpaid in the grand scheme of things, so that argument holds no water.

Cheesehead Craig
03-30-2013, 02:54 PM
The Minnesota Vikings have this fella:

http://extras.mnginteractive.com/live/media/site569/2012/1026/20121026__Vikings_JaredAllen.jpg

The GREEN BAY PACKERS answer:

http://www.picturesof.net/_images_300/a_janitor_or_custodian_sweeping_a_floor_royalty_fr ee_080727-168246-309018.jpg

The Vikes got Allen in a trade, not as a FA. Or are you commenting that the Packers haven't signed anyone in hopes to block him?

wist43
03-30-2013, 05:36 PM
The Vikes got Allen in a trade, not as a FA. Or are you commenting that the Packers haven't signed anyone in hopes to block him?

"Trade"?? What is a trade?? Like a barter system?? This Allen fella is a trader - isn't that illegal??

There is only 1 way to acquire a player - The Annual Selection Meeting.

- Gospel of Theodore, chapter 1, verse 1.

OS PA
03-30-2013, 06:15 PM
He's saying the the Vikings have Allen contact the visiting FA's in order to convince them to stay.

MJZiggy
03-30-2013, 06:37 PM
"Trade"?? What is a trade?? Like a barter system?? This Allen fella is a trader - isn't that illegal??

There is only 1 way to acquire a player - The Annual Selection Meeting.

- Gospel of Theodore, chapter 1, verse 1.
Human Trafficking...

woodbuck27
03-30-2013, 07:56 PM
He's saying the the Vikings have Allen contact the visiting FA's in order to convince them to stay.

Yes.

The Viking organization is organized to make a FA feel needed in Minny. A potential signing is indeed given 'special treatment' by the organization. A PR move that's simply smart.

swede
03-30-2013, 08:10 PM

I'm looking on Google but I can't find the Canadian/English translator.

woodbuck27
03-30-2013, 08:16 PM
I'm looking on Google but I can't find the Canadian/English translator.

http://t2.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcTKp4oQSZSGzpOJZji8U1t0mXkgJVmRG 5AEtMCgh0AEFgyAJeBN0Q

How can some people get so confused?

packrulz
04-08-2013, 04:48 AM
The Pack signed a TE: http://www.greenbaypressgazette.com/article/20130407/PKR01/304070425/Mulligan-s-deal-provides-another-blocking-TE

woodbuck27
04-08-2013, 07:10 AM
My guess is players aren't a rarin to go to GB because the player really doesn't think GB is serious enough to meet their contract hopes. If you're just a sniffin no real need to do anything but put it in the media you may visit

That's a rumor that surely Ted Thompson 'could' put to bed.

Guiness
04-08-2013, 08:48 AM