PDA

View Full Version : Report: Deal done, Romo gets more guaranteed money than Flacco.

woodbuck27
03-29-2013, 03:25 PM
http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2013/03/29/report-deal-done-romo-gets-more-guaranteed-money-than-flacco/

Report: Deal done, Romo gets 'more guaranteed money' than Flacco

Posted by Michael David Smith on March 29, 2013, 4:05 PM EDT

PACKERS !

woodbuck27
03-29-2013, 03:32 PM
Adam Schefter of ESPN is saying a six-year extension that contains even more guaranteed money than the six-year, $120.6 million contract that Joe Flacco got from the Ravens.

Schefter says the total value of the deal is a six-year contract worth $108 million with $55 million$ guranteed and a $25 million$ signing bonus. Check thease numbers with other sources please.

I'm just watching NFL Access talk about Romo's new contract now that was weeks in the making. He had decent numbers last season even if the Cowboys were inconsistent.

Antonio Ramiro "Tony" Romo (born April 21, 1980) will turn 33 years of age next month.

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/sports/football/report-cowboys-sign-qb-tony-romo-to-new-six-year-108-million-deal/article10569940/

GO PACKERS !

MadScientist
03-29-2013, 04:12 PM
Jerry Jones needs to fire his GM. Between this overpay and the debacle of the 2009 draft http://espn.go.com/blog/dallas/cowboys/post/_/id/4707009/the-bad-2009-class-is-officially-over, there is no excuse for not sending the the GM packing... Except of course that JJ is the GM and his ego is bigger than the stadium video screen.

woodbuck27
03-29-2013, 04:13 PM
http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2013/03/29/donovan-mcnabb-does-not-approve-of-tony-romos-new-contract/

Donovan McNabb does not approve of Tony Romo’s new contract

Posted by Michael David Smith on March 29, 2013, 4:51 PM EDT

Comment woodbuck27:

Well if one playoff win gets you a $55 million$ gurantee in BIG 'D' DALLAS.

What does that translate to in small city Green Bay and let me see........ playoff wins! One Super Bowl and ... and....!

Let the madness begin ! It's an NFL QB >>> Please put your 'fig leaf' glasses on.

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/1/18/%C3%89douard-Henri_Avril_%2825%29.jpg/250px-%C3%89douard-Henri_Avril_%2825%29.jpg

ORGY

red
03-29-2013, 04:38 PM
another team breaks the bank on a boarderline shit QB

i asked wht the hell flacco has ever done to become the highest paid player in history. some people said he won a super bowl and a SB MVP.

ok, fine

well what the hell has romo ever done?

again, i am going to feel a whole hell of a lot more comfortable paying rodgers 25 or so a year vs paying flaco or romo 20+ million a year

Rutnstrut
03-29-2013, 05:38 PM
Now TT will have to cut the whole team to be able to afford AR's new deal.

swede
03-29-2013, 05:41 PM
Now TT will have to cut the whole team to be able to afford AR's new deal.

I'm sensing a pattern in your last three posts. Mmm...you be hating...

Rutnstrut
03-29-2013, 05:44 PM
I'm sensing a pattern in your last three posts. MMM...you be hating...

Not necessarily, I'm drinking and like to stir the pot.

swede
03-29-2013, 05:45 PM
I'm sensing a pattern in your last three posts. Mmm...you be hating...

Not necessarily, I'm drinking and like to stir the pot.

Mmmm...you be drinking...

skol!

Rutnstrut
03-29-2013, 06:47 PM
Mmmm...you be drinking...

skol!

Well duh, I live in WI and have the day off;)

hoosier
03-29-2013, 08:17 PM
Wow, Trent Dilfer must be thinking he was born about 10 years too soon.

Kiwon
03-29-2013, 08:30 PM
Deon Sanders must be thrilled. A corollary to Romo’s contract is that Neon Deon gets to moan and groan, non-sexually, of course, on the NFL Network for the next 6 years over Romo’s continued struggles to get the ‘Boys back to the Super Bowl.

Expect Sanders to rework his contract to reflect his sudden on-air relevance. Thanks, Tony!

woodbuck27
03-30-2013, 01:21 PM
http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2013/03/29/stephen-jones-its-not-all-on-tonys-shoulders/

Stephen Jones: “It’s not all on Tony’s shoulders”

Posted by Darin Gantt on March 29, 2013, 8:30 PM EDT

smuggler
03-30-2013, 01:46 PM
Well, it may not have been before, but...

They are right, though. They can win a championship with Romo as their QB. It's all those other players (and prez/GM decisions) that are holding them back. The contract sure doesn't help though.

The Ravens will learn that with Flacco and the Packers (to a lesser extent) will learn that with Rodgers.

woodbuck27
03-30-2013, 08:47 PM

They are right, though. They can win a championship with Romo as their QB. It's all those other players (and prez/GM decisions) that are holding them back. The contract sure doesn't help though.

The Ravens will learn that with Flacco and the Packers (to a lesser extent) will learn that with Rodgers.

The Cowboys need to protect Romo with more on their OL. They need a better option at RB.

That seems to me to be the same needs we have. Plus we need more on the DL and ILB and Safety.

WR/TE need is there already and certainly just around the corner considering our offense.

I hope that Ted Thompson is set to go after quality UFA's within an hour of the official draft ending. That he has given potential UFA's the heads up to remain close to their phones.

If he can simply scratch up one or two upgrades there. What a boost.

GO PACK GO !

Pugger
03-31-2013, 08:56 AM

Of course our QB is better than Flacco and Romo combined. Aaron is worth this much coin. The other 2? Not so much IMO.

pbmax
03-31-2013, 11:27 AM
Dog Bites Man: Guaranteed money not quite what is advertised.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2013/03/31/more-details-on-the-romo-deal/

The $55 million in guaranteed money includes a whopping $40 million that is fully guaranteed. (Again, $11.5 million of that already was guaranteed as a practical matter, since that was his existing 2013 base salary.)

The other $15 million is guaranteed for injury only. Half becomes fully guaranteed on the third day of the 2014 league year, and the other half becomes fully guaranteed on the third day of the 2015 league year.

In all, he’ll get $57 million over the first three years — a great haul, but less than Drew Brees‘ $61 million over three and Joe Flacco’s $62 million over three.

As one league source explained it, it’s a “good deal for Romo, but not a crazy, market deal.”

Patler
03-31-2013, 11:27 AM
I'm not so sure Dallas went overboard on this deal. Yes, it seems to have a larger guarantee than Flacco, but none of these QBs will be scrapped for 3-4 years regardless. Romo's deal is said to be 6 years for $108M, thereby averaging 18M/year. It is said to actually lower his cap for this year.

Even at $18M with a $130M cap, they are looking at under 14% going to Romo. That is within the rance that teams top contracts have run in the past. Apparently his is less this year, and may be more in the future when the cap goes up.

Seems reasonable, assuming Romo is the QB you want.

Guiness
03-31-2013, 11:55 AM
Seems reasonable, assuming Romo is the QB you want.

Truer words were never spoken.

Teams have put themselves in salary cap hell before, but was it ever for potentially so long? 6 years? Even the Redskins current league created mess is done in 2 years, seems to me that if something happens and Romo goes, Dallas is in the toilet for about half a decade.

I think if you're going to guarantee that high a %age of the deal, it needs to be shorter.

Patler
03-31-2013, 12:39 PM
Truer words were never spoken.

Teams have put themselves in salary cap hell before, but was it ever for potentially so long? 6 years? Even the Redskins current league created mess is done in 2 years, seems to me that if something happens and Romo goes, Dallas is in the toilet for about half a decade.

I think if you're going to guarantee that high a %age of the deal, it needs to be shorter.

On the other hand, if they are willing to do a deal, it is pretty well guaranteed they will keep him around 3 years at least, even if he begins to fade almost immediately. By then, it likely won't be any more burdensome on the cap to release him than to keep him, so the decision can be strictly performance based.

pbmax
03-31-2013, 07:57 PM
More contract calculations, including an explanation about how 4 years and $100 million dollars doesn't have to equal $25 mil per year.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2013/03/31/romo-contract-underscores-importance-of-new-deal-for-rodgers/

The magic number making the rounds is four year, $100 million. And while that translates to an eye-popping $25 million annual average, adding that to the current money he’s due to make would put Rodgers in the same six-year, $120 million ballpark that marks the top of the market.

red
03-31-2013, 09:14 PM
looking at the romo deal

he can be cut after one year and the team would receive a savings

he can be cut after 2 years for massive cap savings

they would be throwing away a lot of money, and romo would get a ton of money, but the team isn't stuck with him if they come to their senses

pbmax
04-01-2013, 09:15 AM
looking at the romo deal

he can be cut after one year and the team would receive a savings

he can be cut after 2 years for massive cap savings

they would be throwing away a lot of money, and romo would get a ton of money, but the team isn't stuck with him if they come to their senses

Not sure about that. I read that his old deal had upwards of $10 million of dead money in it. Not sure about what form, but that the same feature was likely to be carried through to his extension.

woodbuck27
04-01-2013, 10:21 AM
More contract calculations, including an explanation about how 4 years and $100 million dollars doesn't have to equal $25 mil per year.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2013/03/31/romo-contract-underscores-importance-of-new-deal-for-rodgers/

Hi pbmax;

Do you understand the contradiction here between 6 years $120 million or $20 million per year and this?

Fr. Your LINK to PFT.Com:

The magic number making the rounds is four year, $100 million. And while that translates to an eye-popping $25 million annual average, **adding that to the current money he’s due to make** would put Rodgers in the same six-year, $120 million ballpark that marks the top of the market.

That’s ***why Rodgers’ deal could actually be worth even more than $25 million per year in new money***. Whatever his average will be, it’s widely believed that Rodgers will be setting a high-water mark that won’t soon be eclipsed."

** approx $20 million* for the 2013-14 remaining years of Aaron Rodgers current contract. OK to that.

but this:

*** Where does PFT.Com discover that leap to $25 million$ per year?

PACKERS !

pbmax
04-01-2013, 12:48 PM
Hi pbmax;

Do you understand the contradiction here between 6 years $120 million or $20 million per year and this?

Fr. Your LINK to PFT.Com:

The magic number making the rounds is four year, $100 million. And while that translates to an eye-popping $25 million annual average, **adding that to the current money he’s due to make** would put Rodgers in the same six-year, $120 million ballpark that marks the top of the market.

That’s ***why Rodgers’ deal could actually be worth even more than $25 million per year in new money***. Whatever his average will be, it’s widely believed that Rodgers will be setting a high-water mark that won’t soon be eclipsed."

** approx $20 million* for the 2013-14 remaining years of Aaron Rodgers current contract. OK to that.

but this:

*** Where does PFT.Com discover that leap to $25 million$ per year?

PACKERS !

There isn't a contradiction, the devil is in the time frame.

If you discuss what PFT thinks is likely to be the entirety of the new contract (including an extension), it will be slightly north of $20 mil per for a total just north of $120 mil.

If you discuss ONLY THE EXTENSION, then its 4 additional years at $25 mil per for a total of $100 million.

But we need to remember the extension (plus the news that they are only $2 million a year apart now) are based just on tidbits from the agent. We likely have nothing from the Packers and nothing on paper regarding the extension.

woodbuck27
04-01-2013, 01:05 PM
There isn't a contradiction, the devil is in the time frame.

If you discuss what PFT thinks is likely to be the entirety of the new contract (including an extension), it will be slightly north of $20 mil per for a total just north of $120 mil.

If you discuss ONLY THE EXTENSION, then its 4 additional years at $25 mil per for a total of $100 million.

But we need to remember the extension (plus the news that they are only $2 million a year apart now) are based just on tidbits from the agent. We likely have nothing from the Packers and nothing on paper regarding the extension.

OK Thanks.

pbmax
04-05-2013, 09:25 AM
Romo's numbers are in and it may be a one year deal because the numbers in his second and third year are astronomical. Second year might be workable if the Cowboys weren't already over for that year as well. But because this is Jerry Jones, its a one year deal that works to the players favor because to release rather than restructure would cause a hug cap hit. So look forward to Romo contract restructuring news for the next three years.

http://www.nationalfootballpost.com/Tony-Romos-riches.html

The Cowboys’ cap issues practically ensure that Romo’s contract will be restructured after the 2013 season. Dallas already has $145.9 million of cap obligations in 2014 while his $21.773 million 2014 cap number is the NFL’s highest next year. Romo is also a likely candidate to restructure again in 2015 because his $25.273 million cap number ranks right behind Brees’ league leading $26.4 million 2015 cap number. Romo’s 2016 cap number, which is currently $15.135 million, could be as high as $20.75 million depending upon how much of his 2014 and 2015 base salaries are converted into a signing bonus for cap purposes if he restructures his contract. The contract restructures should ensure that Romo is secure for the first four years of his contract because the cap charges associated with releasing him should be greater than his actual 2016 cap number.

woodbuck27
04-05-2013, 09:45 AM
Romo's numbers are in and it may be a one year deal because the numbers in his second and third year are astronomical. Second year might be workable if the Cowboys weren't already over for that year as well. But because this is Jerry Jones, its a one year deal that works to the players favor because to release rather than restructure would cause a hug cap hit. So look forward to Romo contract restructuring news for the next three years.

Nice find and solid insight pbmax.

The analysts on NFL Access have commented. That you have to look for the Jerry Jones 'I can escape Romo' clause. That the contract doesn't necessarily mean another long term re-marriage.

PACKERS!

woodbuck27
04-05-2013, 03:22 PM
http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2013/04/05/demarcus-ware-says-its-put-up-or-shut-up-time-for-tony-romo/

DeMarcus Ware says it’s put up or shut up time for Tony Romo

Posted by Michael David Smith on April 5, 2013, 6:31 AM EDT

“I feel like everybody is deserving to whatever is given to him, but at the end of the day, to me it’s put up or shut up,” Ware said, via the Dallas Morning News. “I’m just being straight-up honest with you. Get out there and be productive, and that’s with any player. Whatever they get, they’re deserving of it. You just got to get out there and play and I know he can be and will be the quarterback that is going to be the quarterback that is going to take us to the next level.” FR. LINK

Guiness
04-05-2013, 03:49 PM

Sounds like they've created a contract that comes complete with its annual quota of drama. Why would you want to be in a position of having to re-negotiate with the face of your franchise every year? The time and energy invested in that could no doubt be better used in so many other ways to improve the team, and the potential for it to blow up just once in that time is high, IMO.

I think Ware's comments are the rumblings of restless natives.

woodbuck27
04-05-2013, 04:09 PM
Sounds like they've created a contract that comes complete with its annual quota of drama. Why would you want to be in a position of having to re-negotiate with the face of your franchise every year? The time and energy invested in that could no doubt be better used in so many other ways to improve the team, and the potential for it to blow up just once in that time is high, IMO.

I think Ware's comments are the rumblings of restless natives.

Yup. Enter the Cowboys PR Dept.

Followed by the 'Don't You Know What NOT TO Say' Dept.

SnakeLH2006
04-06-2013, 01:37 AM
Jerry Jones is a moron. Let him sink his own ship. He has taken the reigns from Al Davis. Wow.

King Friday
04-06-2013, 09:09 AM
Well, Jerruh is getting up there. He's starting to look like the crypt keeper a little more each day. When he starts drafting the likes of Jarmarcus and Heyward-Bey in the top 10 picks of the draft, we'll know Al's angel is watching over him.