PDA

View Full Version : Seattle deals backup QB Matt Flynn to the Oakland Raiders

woodbuck27
03-29-2013, 03:41 PM
http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2013/03/29/flynn-deal-shows-raiders-dont-think-much-of-rookie-quarterbacks/

Flynn deal shows Raiders don’t think much of rookie quarterbacks

Posted by Mike Florio on March 29, 2013, 3:59 PM EDT

Comment woodbuck27:

Reggie McKenzie is on record as saying that Oakland will not trade draft picks for this year's draft; so it'll be interesting to see who the Seattle Seahawks gain in exchange or get for a pick in 2014.

http://blogs.seattletimes.com/seahawks/2013/03/29/quarterback-matt-flynn-traded-to-oakland/

PACKERS !

woodbuck27
03-29-2013, 03:47 PM
So Carson Palmer will be looking for work with another NFL team.

The Raiders waited and waited for him to take a pay cut and he refused to do so.

The new NO. 1 Q in Oakland is now presumed to be Matt Flynn. I hope he gets a decent shot there but he has to win that.

PACKERS !

red
03-29-2013, 04:41 PM
there is no QB worth a first round pick this year, there might not be a QB worth a second rounder

i'd like to see what they got for him, because as you'll remember, we got nothing for him.

we barely got a comp pick for him

Rutnstrut
03-29-2013, 05:35 PM
there is no QB worth a first round pick this year, there might not be a QB worth a second rounder

i'd like to see what they got for him, because as you'll remember, we got nothing for him.

No worries, the money saved went into the Rodgers and Mathews trust. Those are the only two players needed after all.

Bretsky
03-29-2013, 07:13 PM
It is INSANE to now think of the annual salary Seattle is getting a quality starting QB for

hoosier
03-29-2013, 08:23 PM
I wonder what Oakland gave up for him....A 4 in 2013? A conditional 3 in 2014?

Fritz
03-30-2013, 10:34 AM

Damnit, Red, you make it sound like it woulda been the easiest thing in the world to negotiate a big contract for Flynn, find a trade partner, then agree on terms. That was tricky at best, and don't give me that crap that Ted didn't even try. Logic dictates otherwise.

woodbuck27
03-30-2013, 12:49 PM
http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/blog/eye-on-football/21977389/report-raiders-eye-kevin-kolb-if-unable-to-land-matt-flynn

Comment woodbuck27:

Hold on Folks. Here's a news update on Oakland's presumeed acquisition of Seattle backup QB Matt flynn. It's seems from this that that deal may have hit a wee snag.

Report: Raiders eye Kevin Kolb if unable to land Matt Flynn

By Matt Rybaltowski | CBSSports.com

Sat. March 30, 2013 10:16 AM ET

smuggler
03-30-2013, 02:05 PM
I really hope the Seahawks fall apart this season. Whether it's through injuries, Wilson having a sophomore slump, or Harvin going dramabomb on them. I just feel they're playing prima donna lately.

denverYooper
03-30-2013, 03:02 PM
I really hope the Seahawks fall apart this season. Whether it's through injuries, Wilson having a sophomore slump, or Harvin going dramabomb on them. I just feel they're playing prima donna lately.

They lost their DC in the offseason. That will likely have an impact.

Pugger
03-31-2013, 09:02 AM
Flynn is still a member of the chickens of the SEA.

woodbuck27
03-31-2013, 02:25 PM
http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2013/03/31/flynn-trade-is-expected-to-be-finalized-soon/

Flynn trade is expected to be finalized soon

Posted by Mike Florio on March 31, 2013, 9:04 AM EDT

Comment woodbuck27:

Former Green Bay colleagues Reggie McKenzie and John Schneider, the GM's of the Raiders and Seahawks, respectively, are possibly haggling? To get the best possible deal in terms of draft pick compensation? Maybe it's not that.

One source says that's not the case and Seattle has all it needs now in place in the deal in terms of draft picks. The Seahawks would acquire a 2013 draft pick and a conditional 2014 selection as part of the deal, if it's completed.

Yesterday I thought it had more to do with Matt Flynn's contract and his resistance to any Oakland need to re-write it. The rumor is that the Raiders aren't happy with paying Flynn $5.25 million in 2013 and $6.25 million in 2014.

Therein lies the holdup.

Guiness
03-31-2013, 03:50 PM
http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2013/03/31/flynn-trade-is-expected-to-be-finalized-soon/

Flynn trade is expected to be finalized soon

Posted by Mike Florio on March 31, 2013, 9:04 AM EDT

Comment woodbuck27:

Former Green Bay colleagues Reggie McKenzie and John Schneider, the GM's of the Raiders and Seahawks, respectively, are possibly haggling? To get the best possible deal in terms of draft pick compensation? Maybe it's not that.

One source says that's not the case and Seattle has all it needs now in place in the deal in terms of draft picks. The Seahawks would acquire a 2013 draft pick and a conditional 2014 selection as part of the deal, if it's completed.

Yesterday I thought it had more to do with Matt Flynn's contract and his resistance to any Oakland need to re-write it. The rumor is that the Raiders aren't happy with paying Flynn $5.25 million in 2013 and $6.25 million in 2014.

Therein lies the holdup.

If true, that's crazy and Flynn should tell them to piss up a rope wrt reducing his contract. They want him to come in and be the starting QB? And they don't want to pay him $5.25M? Sure, Pryor might beat him out in camp, but I'm not buying that.

Seattle has already publicly said they're willing to keep Flynn with his current contract. I'm sure he's itching to start, but he'd be foolish to pay money to do so, which is what he'd be doing if he agreed to a salary cut.

Kiwon
03-31-2013, 05:50 PM
Agreed. He negotiated and signed a FA contract expecting to be paid a set amount. If a team wants him then they should pay him what is due. That's the stance I would take.

One injury and he's done. Better to get paid while you have the chance.

pbmax
03-31-2013, 08:47 PM
Agreed. He negotiated and signed a FA contract expecting to be paid a set amount. If a team wants him then they should pay him what is due. That's the stance I would take.

One injury and he's done. Better to get paid while you have the chance.

I think the Raiders need him to restructure to fit in the cap. They may not want a pay cut, just a different schedule. He could theoretically pick up some more cash early for a low base salary number this year.

gbgary
03-31-2013, 09:28 PM
Flynn is still a member of the chickens of the SEA.

i like that!

smuggler
04-01-2013, 01:19 AM
If Flynn plays even half as well as he did with us for Oakland, he'd be way out-performing those salary numbers.

woodbuck27
04-01-2013, 10:58 AM
http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2013/04/01/report-flynn-to-raiders-deal-done/

Report: Flynn-to-Raiders deal done

Posted by Darin Gantt on April 1, 2013, 11:02 AM EDT

Comment woodbuck27:

Today it's all coming together for both sides in the Matt Flynn trade to the Oakland Raiders.

It looks like Seattle will get two late round draft picks from Oakland in the 2014 and 2015 drafts. The Oakland draft remains intact as it is and as Reggie McKenzie said it must.

So far I 'm not getting anything on the salary part for Matt Flynn in Oakland.

It appears a completion of this deal will trigger Carson Palmer going to the Arizona Cardinals for a late pick (sometime?) with this hitch. Carson Palmer must agree to accept less than the $13 million$ contract he's scheduled to make in Oakland.

Here's some more on the Carson Palmer angle and this post, and just in:

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2013/04/01/palmer-could-fetch-a-fourth-or-fifth-round-pick/

The plot thickens in terms of who really is holding the cards:

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2013/04/01/report-palmer-wanted-to-go-to-tampa/

Report: (Carson) Palmer wanted to go to Tampa

Posted by Mike Florio on April 1, 2013, 11:29 AM EDT

Pugger
04-01-2013, 11:59 AM
If Matt passes his physical he'll be a Raider today.

woodbuck27
04-01-2013, 01:28 PM
http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2013/04/01/flynns-a-raider-for-14-fifth-and-a-conditional-pick/

Flynn’s a Raider for ’2014 fifth and a conditional pick (in 2015).

Posted by Darin Gantt on April 1, 2013, 1:37 PM EDT

easy cheesy
04-01-2013, 02:19 PM

Roger that!

Guiness
04-01-2013, 04:04 PM
Seems like Palmer holds a lot of cards here.

No reason I can see for him to renegotiate, and some reasons not to. If he sits on his contract, either the Raiders find a sucker, er, trading partner to take it on, and he gets his $13million, or they keep him....and he gets his $13million! If neither of those two things happen, he gets released, and is free to negotiate with a team he wants to be with, as opposed to, say, landing with the Redskins who may be looking for a stopgap until RGIII is healed.

I think the last scenario will occur, he'll sit on his hands until the Raiders have to cut him.

Rutnstrut
04-01-2013, 05:47 PM

I really hope they implode, but I would not wish injury on ANYONE.

Guiness
04-01-2013, 09:20 PM
I wonder what this says about Palmer?

He seemed to have an ok season last year, despite Oakland not being a very good team. He threw for 4,018yards with 22TDs and 14Ints, 61.1 completion average - looks like pretty good numbers to me, at the very least he was not Oakland's most glaring need! I know he wanted out of Cincinnati, but I gave him a pass on that one, was he a problem in Oakland as well?

smuggler
04-02-2013, 12:16 AM
Palmer is solid but not great. He's getting older and the team will be going through a 2-5 year organizational rebuilding.

Fritz
04-02-2013, 05:24 AM
And the JSO article suggested he was unwilling to take a pay cut. Reggie Mckenzie is certainly trying to do things differently out in Oakland. Al Davis he is not.

woodbuck27
04-02-2013, 07:32 AM

He seemed to have an ok season last year, despite Oakland not being a very good team. He threw for 4,018yards with 22TDs and 14Ints, 61.1 completion average - looks like pretty good numbers to me, at the very least he was not Oakland's most glaring need! I know he wanted out of Cincinnati, but I gave him a pass on that one, was he a problem in Oakland as well?

Does Carson Palmer in Arizona make any sense?

Yes his numbers (last season) look decent on a bad team. It seems to me that the knock on the Raiders offense was simply that they couldn't finish drives. If the Arizona Cardinals secured a trade for Carson Palmer. It looks like a big upgrade for them at that position.

I'm looking at this one from the negative perspective.

First...Carson Palmer is getting up there in age now (what 33?). Second...it sure looks like he's got some attitude. He's bucking the Raiders need for him to take a pay cut.The Arizona Cardinals can hardly take him on without him accepting a pay cut. Third... the Arizona Cardinals need all the draft picks they have as their rebuilding. Fourth... they already have options at QB. They just brought in Drew Stanton.

So does Carson Palmer in Arizona add up? I'll add this:

It's been said before that Carson Palmer is selfish. I'm expecting that he will become a FA and then make his own best deal. Doesn't Carson Palmer want to be on a team that's there or an 'up and comer' as a Super Bowl contender? Maybe he's simply and plainly ...selfish.

Isn't the biggest issue his attitude and personality? He once made a list of the NFL's most disliked players. That's not ever cool.

http://www.forbes.com/sites/tomvanriper/2011/11/07/the-nfls-most-disliked-players/

The NFL's Most Disliked Players

Did he clean that up in the last two years? The Arizona Cardinals need to assess that question mark.

PACKERS !

pbmax
04-02-2013, 09:47 AM
Palmer apparently willing to accept paycut to join Cardinals. Sure, he'll have more targets to throw to (Hello Larry) but he will be doing so from his back.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2013/04/01/raiders-expected-to-trade-carson-palmer-to-cardinals-soon/

Pugger
04-02-2013, 10:12 AM

I think they want to unload his salary more than anything else.

woodbuck27
04-02-2013, 10:45 AM
Palmer apparently willing to accept paycut to join Cardinals. Sure, he'll have more targets to throw to (Hello Larry) but he will be doing so from his back.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2013/04/01/raiders-expected-to-trade-carson-palmer-to-cardinals-soon/

Great for the Arizona Cardinals?

Go with the known Vs give another QB a shot for 2013 (Drew Stanton).

About that known! Carson Palmer had a reputation last season of blowing it after a decent drive.

It's right here in an Oakland Raider fans comment:

"Good luck Arizona! Watch and wait for your team to be the next franchise Palmer quits on. I’m glad he’s gone! Palmer drops back, there is a wide open Moore streaking down the field. Palmer throws to Heyward-Bey who is being double covered. Interception! The Raiders lose again!!!" Raider fan

If the Arizona Cardinals are forced into trading a mid round draft pick to Oakland in this proposed deal?

Reggie McKenzie wins!

woodbuck27
04-02-2013, 11:07 AM
http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2013/04/02/palmer-dines-with-cardinals-executives-in-phoenix/

Palmer dines with Cardinals executives in Phoenix

Posted by Darin Gantt on April 2, 2013, 9:51 AM EDT

Comment woodbuck27:

This hasn't anything to do with the Matt Flynn deal except the domino efect. Yet...here it is and lives.

Cheesehead Craig
04-02-2013, 11:17 AM
33 years old isn't old for a QB. A RB and a WR perhaps but not a QB.

I think he has several good years yet. I have heard of attitude issues with him but he's been on the 2 most historically dysfunctional teams in NFL history. Perhaps a new start with AZ will do him good. There are no other veteran options out there though and AZ would either have to roll with him or take their chances in the draft.

LP
04-02-2013, 02:39 PM
he's been on the 2 most historically dysfunctional teams in NFL history. Perhaps a new start with AZ will do him good.

Yup. Might as well go for the third.

Guiness
04-02-2013, 03:11 PM
Oakland surely would have to release him, being unable/unwilling to pay his salary as-is. I don't know why Arizona would give up a pick for him? Is there anyone else in the market for his services? Bills and KC have both acquired QB's they intend to start the season with. The Browns have a sophomore they invested a #1 in, and a vet backup in Campbell.

Who are they bidding against other than themselves? The Jets, maybe :)
If the Cardinals give up anything, it should be a 6th or 7th.

Guiness
04-02-2013, 03:20 PM
Yup. Might as well go for the third.

Don't know, it's a horse race. Maybe the Browns or Jets are interested in him, you could still argue he went to the 3rd most dysfunctional squad...

woodbuck27
04-02-2013, 04:19 PM
I'm watching Carson Palmer and Bruce Arians talking to the media in a press conference right now. Carson Palmer says he's delighted.

Evidently he's been handed the NO.1 spot with Arizona and he's very happy to be with that organization.The Cardinals gave up a sixth round pick in 2013 and a conditional in 2014; get a 7 Rd. pick back in this draft (2013) in exchange.

Carson Palmer got a 2 year contract for 'up to' $20 million$ and a $10 million$ gurantee.

So there's another one put to bed.

Guiness
04-02-2013, 05:42 PM
I'm watching Carson Palmer and Bruce Arians talking to the media in a press conference right now. Carson Palmer says he's delighted.

Evidently he's been handed the NO.1 spot with Arizona and he's very happy to be with that organization.The Cardinals gave up a sixth round pick in 2013 and a conditional in 2014; get a 7 Rd. pick back in this draft (2013) in exchange.

Carson Palmer got a 2 year contract for 'up to' $20 million$ and a $10 million$ gurantee.

So there's another one put to bed.

A 6th for a 7th this year, and a conditional (probably another 7th) next. About what I was guessing they'd give up, a LOT better than what the Raiders gave up, a 1st and a 2nd I think?

woodbuck27
04-05-2013, 11:43 AM
http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2013/04/01/john-schneider-money-saved-by-flynn-trade-extremely-valuable/

John Schneider: Money saved by Flynn trade “extremely valuable”

Posted by Curtis Crabtree on April 1, 2013, 11:50 PM EDT

woodbuck27
04-05-2013, 12:13 PM
http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2013/04/02/arians-palmer-is-our-starter-our-qb-room-is-as-good-as-anyones/

(Bruce) Arians: Palmer is our starter, our QB room is as good as anyone’s

Posted by Michael David Smith on April 2, 2013, 5:20 PM EDT

woodbuck27
04-05-2013, 01:00 PM
http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2013/04/03/matt-flynn-thinks-the-raiders-are-building-something-special/

Matt Flynn thinks the Raiders are building “something special”.

Posted by Michael David Smith on April 3, 2013, 1:06 PM EDT