PDA

View Full Version : BREAKING NEWS....GB about to make SPLASH into FREE AGENCY

Bretsky
03-29-2013, 07:25 PM
and the dude is confirmed and coming in for a visit/physical before signing

http://www.jsonline.com/blogs/sports/200661431.html

MadScientist
03-29-2013, 07:29 PM
The only way the Packers will make a splash in free agency is if they throw a free agent into a pool.

This guy sounds like an above average camp body.

red
03-29-2013, 07:31 PM
yup

MadtownPacker
03-29-2013, 07:41 PM
Nice one MS.

That guy is the Bretsky of DBs.

MJZiggy
03-29-2013, 07:55 PM
Why does every article about Packer free agency start "It's not the big splash..."

woodbuck27
03-30-2013, 12:41 PM
and the dude is confirmed and coming in for a visit/physical before signing

http://www.jsonline.com/blogs/sports/200661431.html

Yea sure! The word is that this dude is on his way to Green Bay to see Ted. Health issues!? No problem.

http://static.giantbomb.com/uploads/original/0/6393/528835-bugs_bunny_forever.jpg

Airports and connections!? Again ... no problem. Now that it's warming up he's got his own ride.

http://www.bikemenu.com/photos/indian/Bugs%20Bunny.jpg

Sign him Ted.

smuggler
03-30-2013, 02:03 PM
Guy looks like a candidate to return punts and/or kicks if nothing else.

swede
03-30-2013, 05:25 PM
The only way the Packers will make a splash in free agency is if they throw a free agent into a pool before he leaves town.

fify

Joemailman
03-30-2013, 06:22 PM
The only way the Packers will make a splash in free agency is if they throw a free agent into a pool.

Could be. Of course, the same could have been said, and probably was, about Tramon Williams and Sam Shields.

Upnorth
03-30-2013, 06:50 PM
A good cfl cb has excellent closing speed but more importantly route recognition. A good cfl cb is not let go in the offseason. He may be the type of cb who tries to stick on a wr hip, Woody or Guiness you guys watch him at all?

woodbuck27
03-30-2013, 06:54 PM
http://www.acmepackingcompany.com/2013/3/30/4165176/packers-sign-free-agent-cornerback-loyce-means

Packers (** reported to be signing Monday **) ... Sign Free Agent Cornerback Loyce Means

Comment woodbuck27:

** Ohh Ohh.... that's April First.

By Evan "Tex" Western on Mar 30 2013, 2:15p  @TexWestern 11

woodbuck27
03-30-2013, 07:23 PM
A good cfl cb has excellent closing speed but more importantly route recognition. A good cfl cb is not let go in the offseason. He may be the type of cb who tries to stick on a wr hip, Woody or Guiness you guys watch him at all?

Hi Upnorth:

Loyce Means (Senior) University Houston Tigers 2010. Born March 31,1989. He was with the University of Houston Tigers as a Senior in the 2010 season. Tomorrow March 31 2013 he's only 24 years old. He must be some smart.

Here's his NFL.COM Profile. Look at that ! Here he's 5' - 11" tall. Young and growing. That's that Kraft dinner.

http://www.nfl.com/player/loycemeans/2530716/profile

2011 Draft Information - Rated 31st out of 182 College Draft prospects:

http://www.nfldraftscout.com/ratings/dsprofile.php?pyid=70941&draftyear=2011&genpos=CB

He's 5'-10 ' tall (maybe? 5'-11") and about 180 lbs. Speedy - 225 lb Bench Rep's = 14. Projected as a Rd.7/FA with a high of Rd. 5-6.

I'm trying to track down all I can on this 'mystery man' right now. Evidently he was signed by the Hamilton Tiger Cats to their Practise Roster in Sept. 2011. He spent some time with both the Buffalo Bills and Carolina Panthers organizations.

woodbuck27
03-30-2013, 08:09 PM

Here's the best I've seen on him so far:

http://lombardiave.com/2013/03/30/so-who-is-loyce-means/

He's a CB and if TT brings in a couple more CB's ... great!

It appears as if he has made plays. It appears he's fast. It appears that he's bulked up. He may be 5' 11" and 190 lbs (now). He was light at 177 lbs. coming out of college.

He's obviously smart. He made the Deans list at some point in College. He's still young.

He's someone we might pull for. Certainly someone to push our incumbant CB's to improve.

He's a potential new signing. NEWS that won't cost the Packers alot. :-?

GO PACK GO !

swede
03-30-2013, 08:14 PM
Here's the best I've seen on him so far:

http://lombardiave.com/2013/03/30/so-who-is-loyce-means/

He's a CB and if TT brings in a couple more CB's ... great!

It appears as if he has made plays. It appears he's fast. It appears that he's bulked up. He may be 5' 11" and 190 lbs (now). He was light at 177 lbs. coming out of college.

He's obviously smart. He made the Deans list at some point in College. He's still young.

He's someone we might pull for. Certainly someone to push our incumbant CB's to improve.

He's a potential new signing. NEWS that won't cost the Packers alot. :-?

GO PACK GO !

I like it too. For Packer fans in the off-season, getting a skinny, fast, cornerback from the Canadian football league who didn't play at all last year is like kids at fat camp finding a container of Tic-Tacs. The excitement is real, and yet a little pathetic.

woodbuck27
03-30-2013, 08:20 PM
I like it too. For Packer fans in the off-season, getting a skinny, fast, cornerback from the Canadian football league who didn't play at all last year is like kids at fat camp finding a container of Tic-Tacs. The excitement is real, and yet a little pathetic.

This Packer fan pissed in the barn yard he was so excited.

http://t3.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcTkl-p7l5XZwgcS544riIQyqasQTSXTi9N3DVaXXBMo4VlFfMqS

smuggler
03-31-2013, 01:19 AM
Looks a little like your avatar, Woody. Is that your cousin? Brother? ..... Dare I ask... Mother?

As far as Means, it seems the reason teams were down on him 2 years ago was that he was so damn scrawny. He was 177 coming out of college.

Now he's bulked up to 190, which isn't too far off the ideal. He's still a bit lanky.

What I'm hoping for is an ace special teamster, gunner, who at least won't embarrass himself in coverage. If that were to be the case, we could potentially jettison Bush.

Or to say it another way; I don't think both Bush and Means can make the 53 man roster together.

woodbuck27
03-31-2013, 06:20 AM
Looks a little like your avatar, Woody. Is that your cousin? Brother? ..... Dare I ask... Mother?

As far as Means, it seems the reason teams were down on him 2 years ago was that he was so damn scrawny. He was 177 coming out of college.

Now he's bulked up to 190, which isn't too far off the ideal. He's still a bit lanky.

What I'm hoping for is an ace special teamster, gunner, who at least won't embarrass himself in coverage. If that were to be the case, we could potentially jettison Bush.

Or to say it another way; I don't think both Bush and Means can make the 53 man roster together.

Moses! Mom will be rollin' over in her grave at such insinuation. :wink:

My avatar...a Canadian Moose 'with an edge'. That other member of the animal kingdom. I apoligize for the picture quality; but that's a donkey, waking up after a restless night.

As per Loyce Means (good name). I actually awoke thinking about this potential signing. Last night after retiring from Packerrats I was sitting back and got to thinking about Swede's joke. The comparison between Packer fans during free agency and kids at a fat camp and I just burst into laughter.

Too me that's so funny. Yet ... again as Swede inferred...the pathetic truth.

I'm going to try to look closer at this today as pathetic isn't nothing.

Your analysis and idea of where he could fit seems sensable smuggler.

GO PACK GO !

smuggler
04-01-2013, 01:13 AM
My avatar...a Canadian Moose 'with an edge'. That other member of the animal kingdom. I apoligize for the picture quality; but that's a donkey, waking up after a restless night.[/B]

We'll leave it as 'distant cousin' then.

My other thought was that the Packers would prefer that Cobb did not return kicks or punts whatsoever, despite his skill in that department.

woodbuck27
04-01-2013, 11:30 AM
We'll leave it as 'distant cousin' then.

My other thought was that the Packers would prefer that Cobb did not return kicks or punts whatsoever, despite his skill in that department.

Sometimes a man needs a 'real' chance and a gurantee he'll get such.

I wanted to get actual game info. on him and was derailed with other matters and GB Packers yesterday. It certainly appears that he had shining moments playing football in the past. I like that he's bulked up to a reported 190 lbs. If he's still got 'ballpark' 4.4 second 40 speed? That's very good.

I'm really just that fat kid at fat camp.

He's a whole roll of lifesavers to me as things have gone in free agency.

GO PACK GO !

woodbuck27
04-05-2013, 12:24 PM
It's now official...well, has been for some days:

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2013/04/02/packers-sign-loyce-means/

Packers sign Loyce Means

Posted by Mike Wilkening on April 2, 2013, 7:13 PM EDT

Smeefers
04-05-2013, 03:11 PM
I read somewhere that a lot of teams are waiting until after the draft to sign free agents. There's still a boat load of talent out there.

SnakeLH2006
04-06-2013, 01:39 AM
I read somewhere that a lot of teams are waiting until after the draft to sign free agents. There's still a boat load of talent out there.

True dat....sounds like they are looking at how TT does business....tons of 30+ talents out there...no one is signing them. It's ok....neither will TT.

pittstang5
04-07-2013, 07:09 PM
Packers sign a TE. Probably to replace Crabtree

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2013/04/07/packers-add-a-new-tight-end/

red
04-07-2013, 09:30 PM

sounds like a jack of all trades

run blocker, pass catcher, and a backup long snapper

not the greatest FA signing of all time, but a decent enough one i suppose

Joemailman
04-07-2013, 11:44 PM
More of a blocker than a receiver. At 6-4, 260 he'll be the Packers biggest TE.

Patler
04-08-2013, 05:36 AM

Possibly an upgrade from Crabtree:

Among tight ends with more than 50 pass blocks last year, he ranked fourth among NFL tight ends in pass-blocking efficiency with one sack allowed in 53 snaps. Pro Football Focus ranked him as the league’s 10th-best run-blocking tight end (Crabtree was 55th).

woodbuck27
04-08-2013, 07:01 AM

Hopefully Matthew Mulligan will not miss blocking assignments. It's at least a recovery if not an upgrade at TE.

I hate the position the Packers were in at the TE position and like it 'slightly better' today.

It's right Here:

TE Jermichael Finley gets $3M bonus, to remain with Packers in 2013.

Jermichael Finley from a performance/assignment sure standpoint is clearly not worth even close to what he will be paid, if he finishes the 2013 season with the Green Bay Packers.

Ted Thompson blew that one.

Jermichael Finley gives our offense 'Jack Shit' as a blocker. His offensive production in terms of yards /catch and TD's scored was terrible. The number of drops he had was worse than sad. He has dropped too many passes over the last 2 seasons; the 3rd-most by an NFL tight end over that span.

That facts and Jermichael Finley should be alarming for anyone. Evidently not for Ted Thompson and Mike McCarthy. It was worse than all those drops. How good... NO...how bad was he last season (2012)? Was that performance anywhere close to the outrageous Ted Thompson award? He was targeted 88 times and made 61 receptions for 667 yards a 10.9 yard avg.

He had 'two' TD's !

Mike McCarthy praised Jermichael Finley for the fine way he finished the 2012 season. The clear facts are showing us that this TE; that looked so promising as a rookie, is a borderline bust. A TE not worth his CAP hit in 2012. Certainly not worth what his CAP hit will be in 2013.

Yup he's back ! No Mike ! He was just here ! :

Not a top NFL TE. Not a Top Ten NFL TE. Forget Top 20th or 30th ranked NFL TE.

Jermichael Finley was horrible as The Green Bay Packers TE. Jermichael Finley based on his 2012 season is the 47th ranked TE in the NFL.

In Review:

Jermichael Finley is incompetent as a blocker or assignement unsure. He doesn't protect Aaron Rodgers.

Jermichael Finley has dropped 13 passes over the last 2 seasons, the 3rd-most by a tight end over that span. Yet he complains about feeling left out of the offensive plan. He wants more targets.

Jermichael Finley contributed 2 TD's to our offese in 2012.

Ted Thompson awarded Jermichael Finley 'for all of that'. A $3 million $ BONUS !!

This is what makes chickens screeeeeem !:

https://www.profootballfocus.com/blog/2013/03/08/performance-based-value-tight-ends/

Guiness
04-08-2013, 08:54 AM
Looks like a good acquisition, and he's also a backup long snapper. Was it two years ago the Pack had both of their long snappers go down in TC?

Saw that too, I guess we'll see. Ranking pass block efficiency might be a bit of a red herring with Rodgers back there, this board has talked a lot about how he tends to 'take' sacks instead of forcing the ball. I wonder how that reflects on the OL's ratings? Lies, damn lies and statistics, right? This is one of those cases where I'm not so sure the statistics vet out the on field performance.

run pMc
04-08-2013, 10:28 AM
Jermichael Finley was horrible as The Green Bay Packers TE. Jermichael Finley based on his 2012 season is the 47th ranked TE in the NFL.

I respectfully disagree.

JF had a Jekyll-and-Hyde season that ended up being pretty good year statistically: 3rd in receptions (James Jones was 2nd with 3 more). the 1st half he was godawful, but his production the 2nd half of the year was much better and he reduced his drops significantly. Career-wise he has more receptions and yards than Chmura in 2 less seasons. He's a receiver, not a blocker, and at 6-5 he's bigger than most defenders.
There'd have to be a good reason to go another direction (age, contract, attitude) if you have a guy like that.

Someone needs to stay on him to make sure his head is screwed on right and he'll produce. (Easier said than done.) All the other stuff -- being too honest, having an idiot agent, tweeting too much -- is off-field crap that really doesn't impact his production and most teams would happily overlook. He's not doing pushups in his driveway, and he's an upgrade over Ryan Taylor as Cover-2 beater.

(Wow. I can't believe I'm defending JF. LOL)

At $8M, I think he's overpaid, and with a good season, it's likely GB lets him walk after the season because they can't afford him.

pbmax
04-08-2013, 10:41 AM
McGinn claims this is evidence of a player body type that McCarthy wanted no part of in the last few years. Getting bigger, tougher, etc.

Except, the fact that they offered Crabtree the same money first kind of argues against that, doesn't it?

woodbuck27
04-08-2013, 10:59 AM
Looks like a good acquisition, and he's also a backup long snapper. Was it two years ago the Pack had both of their long snappers go down in TC?

Saw that too, I guess we'll see. Ranking pass block efficiency might be a bit of a red herring with Rodgers back there, this board has talked a lot about how he tends to 'take' sacks instead of forcing the ball. I wonder how that reflects on the OL's ratings? Lies, damn lies and statistics, right? This is one of those cases where I'm not so sure the statistics vet out the on field performance.

Your bang on there. Mae says: Stat's Rats !

We can blame it on the TE or the OL. That RB missed that block; but a part of it and QB SACKS is the QB or Aaron Rodgers.

My Lady see's it so clearly that at times it hurts.

Mae says: That Aaron Rodgers makes too many faces. Gives up too easily and chokes on the ball instead of throwing it away. That he stays in the pocket too long looking downfield for an open man. She criticizes his temperment.

Mae wasn't at all impressed with that 'almost' attack on MM immediately following 'the wrongly tossed Red Flag' incident.

Mae said then about Aaron Rodgers: "Who does he think he is...that sucks on the Packers Head Coach...that poor man".

Mae is very smart. I mean smart/smart.

Mae says that there is no way that with his attitude can Aaron Rodgers really be the best QB in the NFL. I offer her the stat's and other defenses for Aaron Rodgers. Mae simply dismisses me; won't buy into 'that garbage'.

Mae says .... "show me the results!"

Mae's not impressed, comparing Aaron Rodgers to other NFL QB's. Mae watches football alot. The scary thing, and I repeat with some emphasis:

Mae is damn smart.

woodbuck27
04-08-2013, 11:09 AM
I respectfully disagree.

JF had a Jekyll-and-Hyde season that ended up being pretty good year statistically: 3rd in receptions (James Jones was 2nd with 3 more). the 1st half he was godawful, but his production the 2nd half of the year was much better and he reduced his drops significantly. Career-wise he has more receptions and yards than Chmura in 2 less seasons. He's a receiver, not a blocker, and at 6-5 he's bigger than most defenders.
There'd have to be a good reason to go another direction (age, contract, attitude) if you have a guy like that.

Someone needs to stay on him to make sure his head is screwed on right and he'll produce. (Easier said than done.) All the other stuff -- being too honest, having an idiot agent, tweeting too much -- is off-field crap that really doesn't impact his production and most teams would happily overlook. He's not doing pushups in his driveway, and he's an upgrade over Ryan Taylor as Cover-2 beater.

At $8M, I think he's overpaid, and with a good season, it's likely GB lets him walk after the season because they can't afford him.

That's really OK Packer fan.

but Man..... That defense of Jermichael Finley had to send you for a drink. :whaa:

woodbuck27
04-08-2013, 02:05 PM
I respectfully disagree.

Actually the best defense for Jermichael Finley and his $3 million$ Bonus coming to him... etc. may be right here:

http://www.fftoolbox.com/football/2012/nfl-targets-report.cfm?pos=TE

Of the 23 TE's that were targeted 60 or more times. Jermichael Finley had 86 making 61 receptions or a 70.9% completion rate. Of those 23 TE's 'only three' other TE's had a higher completion percentage than his.

1. Brandon Myers 75.2%

2. Tony Gonzalez 75.0%

3. Jason Witten 74.8 %

a) Take away the drops! How to do that? Get that done and his YPC (10.9) >>> goes up.

b) Make him a Red Zone Target again. See a) >>> See c) >>> See d)

c) Make him feel like he's a huge part of the offense!? See b)

d) His ability to block. That's essential on our offense. How does he lick that one? >>> See a)

He has to get focused ! He has to try harder !! He has to really care !!!

It's my experience or wisdom that you don't get necessarily more out of someone by paying more or rewarding more. You 'only' do such when the person has received a reality check and it kicks ...the person's performance improves. Upon seeing that you seriouisly consider the just reward.

Never reward before performance.

PACKERS !

Bossman641
04-09-2013, 11:19 AM
Somebody teach this Mulligan guy how to use Twitter and it sounds like we will have an improved Crabtree.

3irty1
04-09-2013, 11:26 AM
Somebody teach this Mulligan guy how to use Twitter and it sounds like we will have an improved Crabtree.

I wouldn't be so sure.

Sounds like this guy was to Jets fans as Jarrett Bush is/was to Packers fans. While he might be technically good at stuff he has a penchant for ill-timed penalties and bone-head plays. If there is such a thing as the "it-factor" then there must be such a thing as a "reverse it-factor" and it sounds like he's got it.

denverYooper
04-09-2013, 11:29 AM
I wouldn't be so sure.

Sounds like this guy was to Jets fans as Jarrett Bush is/was to Packers fans. While he might be technically good at stuff he has a penchant for ill-timed penalties and bone-head plays. If there is such a thing as the "it-factor" then there must be such a thing as a "reverse it-factor" and it sounds like he's got it.

That would be the sh-it factor.

Bossman641
04-09-2013, 11:56 AM
I wouldn't be so sure.

Well damn, so much for our big FA acquisition.

pbmax
04-09-2013, 01:06 PM
That would be the sh-it factor.

Temptation to defend Bush is stymied by laughter.

woodbuck27
04-09-2013, 01:55 PM
Well damn, so much for our big FA acquisition.

It's a heckuva price to look like your doing 'anything' in FA.

$400 K$. Why not simply purchase a Super Computer?

A couple of $100.00 on snacks?

Get subscriptions to anything College and NFL football?

A great licquor cabinet and a beer fridge?

$$$$$ Savings galore ! $$$$$

Just 'a thought'. :idea:

Joemailman
04-09-2013, 06:10 PM
I wouldn't be so sure.

Maybe the Jets fans do like some Packer fans do with Bush and obsess over what he does wrong and ignore the things he does right.

3irty1
04-09-2013, 07:14 PM
Maybe the Jets fans do like some Packer fans do with Bush and obsess over what he does wrong and ignore the things he does right.

True. We may be moving from overrated fan favorite to underrated and despised player.

pbmax
04-10-2013, 07:02 AM
Despised players can come in handy. If the correct people despise them.

Fritz
04-10-2013, 05:49 PM
Is there someone I should be despising in order to help the Packers win?

pbmax
04-11-2013, 07:55 AM
Is there someone I should be despising in order to help the Packers win?

I would stick to the QB. He seems to respond well to doubts.

Fritz
04-11-2013, 12:09 PM
I despise Aaron Rodgers.

He's not as good as Manning or Brady, and it's clear that RGIII and Luck will pass him by this year.

Heck, he's not even close to the QB that Brent Favre was.

There. That should do it.

woodbuck27
04-11-2013, 02:17 PM
I despise Aaron Rodgers.

He's not as good as Manning or Brady, and it's clear that RGIII and Luck will pass him by this year.

Heck, he's not even close to the QB that Brent Favre was.

There. That should do it.

Damn Fritz !!

Impressive anaysis again.

http://t2.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcSvZWgZDddze-dWkGzOHVfpFAOhhy_pe6J-5yLRUlrh_HQndteoGg

Look how impressed this lady is.