PDA

View Full Version : Report: Matthews, Rodgers closing in on new deals with Packers

SnakeLH2006
04-04-2013, 03:42 AM
http://lindyssports.com/nfl/green-bay-packers/article/headline/report-matthews-rodgers-closing-in-on-new-deals-with-packers/85281

Article removed. Please use links to share articles.
__________________________________________________ _________

Well...hey....Snake is ok with Matthews making $13 million a year....ARod is the best NFL player alive...but going ahead and wrecking shit at $25 million/yearly...fuck no...give him a bit more than Flacco's dumbass Raven's GM gave him with a gun to his head (he had to let his whole team go...EVERYONE LEFT to stay under the CAP)....but don't wreck the caps for EVERYONE with a HUGE unprecedented contract...FUCK. He's still got 2 years on his cheap deal....either he takes slightly more at $21 million...or hold off till 2015 and franchise him for less till we pay the piper when he's 33 in 2016....No need to pay 1/4 of our salary cap to one player. Manning...Brady...Brees....it was under $20 million for years...why go ape-nuts and go $5million over to $25 million...when we got him for 2 more years WITH A CONTRACT....He'll be 32 when he can get the money...Do NOT give in TT...and give him a bit more than Flacco...but DO NOT RAPE THE MARKET and do something stupid at $25 million...Jesus Christ. That will KILL OUR TEAM. I guess it could be worse...Cutler would be our QB at $30 million a year and Partial would be the GM. AHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Matthews at $13 million...ok...he's a beast...but lock him up for at least 5 years or more...till his skills decline and other D salaries escalate.

We are fucking ourselves...but then again..Finley's $8.5 comes off this year...Watch TT draft the ND TE at 26 this year....he ALWAYS drafts the replacements. That would be nice.

woodbuck27
04-04-2013, 05:06 AM
http://lindyssports.com/nfl/green-bay-packers/article/headline/report-matthews-rodgers-closing-in-on-new-deals-with-packers/85281

__________________________________________________ _________

Well...hey....Snake is ok with Matthews making $13 million a year....ARod is the best NFL player alive...but going ahead and wrecking shit at $25 million/yearly...fuck no...give him a bit more than Flacco's dumbass Raven's GM gave him with a gun to his head....but don't wreck the caps for EVERYONE. He's still got 2 years on his cheap deal....either he takes slightly more at $21 million...or hold off till 2015 and franchise him for less till we pay the piper when he's 33 in 2016....No need to pay 1/4 of our salary cap to one player.

Matthews at $13 million...ok...he's a beast...but lock him up for at least 5 years or more...till his skills decline and other D salaries escalate.

We are fucking ourselves...but then again..Finley's $8.5 comes off this year...Watch TT draft the ND TE at 26 this year....he ALWAYS drafts the replacements. That would be nice.

There's that $25 million$ number per season back again. Why?

" The Packers are also working on a new long-term deal with QB Aaron Rodgers, who is seeking a multi-year deal of $25 million per year and make him the highest paid player in NFL history. " SnakeLH2006

I was under the impression that the article that sets 'the offer and the need' is this one. The $NUMBERS$ that Ted Thompson and the Green Bay Packers have on the table Vs the Aaron Rodgers side:

http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/nfl-shutdown-corner/report-packers-aaron-rodgers-2-million-per-apart-161330196--nfl.html

This article says that the Green Bay Packers will willingly give Aaron Rodgers a contract that exceeds Joe Flacco's $20.1 million$ per season on a 4 year extension (6 year contract). A yearly average of say... $20.5 Million$; as an arbitrary $number$.

Let's keep the signing bonus and guranteed money and all the other bonus's at the side.

Then moving to the Aaron Rodgers contract camp. The above article tells us that Aaron Rodgers and his agent (David Dunn) are asking $21.5 Million$ + $2 million or $22.5 Million$. Not that the Packers offer is $23 million and The Rodgers side is after $25 million$.

If your information is correct?

There's a 'Red Flag Waving' with $25 million$ written on it in black.

The message would be:

Aaron Rodgers and his agent (David Dunn) and Clay Matthews and his agent (Michael McCartney); have elected to open negotiations by putting the squeeze on the Green Bay Packers Salary CAP. Putting the squeeze on for alot more than (Ted Thompson et all). THE GREEN BAY PACKERS need to pay out in CAP money to Aaron Rodgers.

If your information is reliable??

It wouldn't take any genious to see through the lines to where it's at right now.That Aaron Rodgers and his agent (David Dunn) and Clay Matthews and his agent (Michael McCartney); have elected negotiations putting the squeeze on the Green Bay Packers Salary CAP.

I sincerely hope that $25 million$ number is just piss blowing in the wind.

Otherwise....

I don't like how this reads:

"According to Schefter, the agents for Rodgers (David Dunn) and Matthews (Michael McCartney) would like new contracts in place by the start of the Packers' offseason workout program, which begins on April 15." Fr. **

http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/nfl-shutdown-corner/report-packers-clay-matthews-nearing-long-term-extension-204055339--nfl.html

What's really going down here? Is it really getting down to this:

It's ME and HIM and I (WE) WANT MORE THAN ANYONE ELSE or ELSE.

If that is the exact case. If that's the way it's going to be. (The question mark is still hanging in my mind.) Then it's time for reality therapy for a swelled head (Aaron Rodgers).

Clay Matthews needs to keep it simple and make his own deal. Not just make it appear that way with his agent being one, Michael McCartney. Clay Matthews needs to ensure that he's not sucked into anyone else's mind except his own.

We're certainly in the $numbers$ being reported; not talking anything close to 'brotherly love' or 'one for all'.

It's any 'two-two for the '$Huge Price$ or done' attitude that would suck wind big time. That would really creep me out.

I still believe that it's fun and games propaganda Packer fans. The agents (Maybe? a client) putting on the show.

I'm firm on this. Pay Clay Matthews top money for his position. Treat Aaron Rodgers exactly the same.

Don't give them 'one red cent more' than you need to. It's just there and nowhere else.

We don't need the drama discussing obvious counter measure or the alternative (s).

GO PACKERS !

Pugger
04-04-2013, 08:04 AM
I just wish these 2 contracts would get hammered out quickly so we can concentrate on the draft.

woodbuck27
04-04-2013, 09:25 AM
I just wish these 2 contracts would get hammered out quickly so we can concentrate on the draft.

You can count on this:

Ted Thompson already has his Big Board in a convenient location. It's completed and may 'only' need minor tweeking.

and on NFL Access:

Word from Aaron Rodgers:

If his contract isn't resolved by that date we're seeing, or April 15. He has no plans to hold out.

PACKERS !

pbmax
04-04-2013, 10:55 AM
It may not be $13 mil per year. This is another case of new money possibly being confused with current money. Schefter said the $13 mil/yr was the NEW money in the deal. Which would indicate he understands it to be an extension of his last year on his rookie contract.

He will make $4,750,000 this year (cap number is $4,910,000).

If he signs a 4 year extension at $13.5 per new year, his average is $11.75 mil/yr over the five year deal.

pittstang5
04-04-2013, 02:52 PM
You can count on this:

Ted Thompson already has his Big Board in a convenient location. It's completed and may 'only' need minor tweeking.

Funny you mention that. I found this interesting:

I was listening to the local sports radio today and Jay Glazer was a guest. He was talking about GMs and the draft. He said that No GM has their board ready at this time. He said GMs will usually finalize everything the week of the draft and even then, they can change up until the last minute if new information comes in on a couple players.

My Opinion - TT probably has a pretty good idea of who he wants to target. He's still probably going over game tape and checking with scouts and coaches. Is his board done? - nah, I don't think it's even close.

Rutnstrut
04-04-2013, 03:26 PM

I was listening to the local sports radio today and Jay Glazer was a guest. He was talking about GMs and the draft. He said that No GM has their board ready at this time. He said GMs will usually finalize everything the week of the draft and even then, they can change up until the last minute if new information comes in on a couple players.

My Opinion - TT probably has a pretty good idea of who he wants to target. He's still probably going over game tape and checking with scouts and coaches. Is his board done? - nah, I don't think it's even close.

Or it could be that TT has his board pretty much done and he's going to stick to it no matter what info he gets, because lets face it, that's the TT way. Besides once they get Mathews and Rodgers locked down, the other positions are just trivial.

Bossman641
04-04-2013, 03:46 PM
Or it could be that TT has his board pretty much done and he's going to stick to it no matter what info he gets, because lets face it, that's the TT way. Besides once they get Mathews and Rodgers locked down, the other positions are just trivial.

Lol, examples?

Joemailman
04-04-2013, 04:05 PM
I'm pretty sure the assistant coaches have a lot of input on the prospects that play the position that they coach. I would think that evaluation process is still going on at this point.

pbmax
04-04-2013, 04:22 PM

He can't have it done yet. They have written about the process before and all the personnel guys meet to go over all the prospects and set the board at once. You can't all meet if Pro Days are just ending. After they gather, it takes a couple of weeks to finalize.

pbmax
04-04-2013, 04:23 PM
I'm pretty sure the assistant coaches have a lot of input on the prospects that play the position that they coach. I would think that evaluation process is still going on at this point.

Having read about this before, I think the assistant coaches input is smaller than one might think.

Zool
04-04-2013, 04:52 PM
This should about sum things up

http://farm5.staticflickr.com/4083/5055032357_69d1d1be72.jpg

MadtownPacker
04-04-2013, 05:20 PM
Or it could be that TT has his board pretty much done and he's going to stick to it no matter what info he gets, because lets face it, that's the TT way. Besides once they get Mathews and Rodgers locked down, the other positions are just trivial.Shit already got him to 1 Superbowl win. So I can't hate on him.

woodbuck27
04-04-2013, 10:04 PM
Fr. my original post this thread:

"The above article tells us that Aaron Rodgers and his agent (David Dunn) are asking $21.5 Million$ + $2 million or $22.5 Million$."

Edit:

$21.5 million$ + $2 million$ = $23.5 million$.

woodbuck27
04-04-2013, 10:51 PM

" TT probably has a pretty good idea of who he wants to target. He's still probably going over game tape and checking with scouts and coaches. Is his board done? - nah, I don't think it's even close. " pittstang5

Isn't there a contradiction in the above statement?

We're talking about the man that's noted for being 'above just good' in the draft. In order to be comfortable with the draft and in any manner successful. You must have the board in good shape somewhere between after the Combine and at the beginning of free agency. The Pro days are used for tweeking that board.

Input should certainly be welcome anytime; but that's Ted Thompson's BIG BOARD. He spends considerable time finalizing it. He's not all in a panic looking for input. Hardly 'to any great extent', three weeks before the scheduled draft.

I stand by what I posted before. Except for minor tweeking. That Green Bay Packers BIG BOARD - Ted Thompson's BIG BOARD is for the greatest part... done.

It's also my position that 'that such organization' is good sense.

I'll add this:

http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/draft/risersandfallers

By: Dane Brugler ... NFLDraftScout.com Analyst

" Only a month away until the 2013 NFL Draft, most evaluations are already set in stone. The idea of a riser or faller is especially relative in late March into April.

At this point, there's only moderate fluctuation on draft boards during the month of March as teams put the finishing touches on their scouting reports. With a handful of pro days each day, prospects have one final chance to put their best foot forward and elevate their draft stock.

While there are no drastic movements on any draft board in this final month of draft preparation, some prospects move up or down based on Pro Day performances." Fr. LINK

If such information (see below) is available to us. It better be available 'PLUS' to Ted Thompson:

http://www.nfl.com/draft/story/0ap1000000136391/article/2013-pro-days-schedule-and-analysis

2013 pro days schedule and analysis

NFL.com

Published: March 11, 2013 at 05:43 p.m.

Updated: April 4, 2013 at 05:44 p.m

That's why Ted Thompson can be pre-occupied with the soon to become $$very very rich$$ Green Bay Packers.

Ehh :?:

GO PACKERS !

swede
04-05-2013, 07:37 AM
Just to define terms before resuming the pre-draft jostling for alpha male...

Jay Glazer: Draft Boards not done = still room for up and down movement.

Dane Brugler: Draft Boards done = still room for up and down movement.

Pugger
04-05-2013, 07:59 AM
I guess I want these contracts done soon to end all of this speculation and drama.

Smeefers
04-05-2013, 08:18 AM
I kinda like the speculation and drama. I just have to find an article that says Clay Mathews is trying to sabotage Aaron Rodgers' contract in order to get more money. Ohhh that would be juicy. Maybe throw a steamy love triangle in there somewhere too.

pbmax
04-05-2013, 09:13 AM
Romo's numbers are in and the National Football Post does a huge breakdown here: http://www.nationalfootballpost.com/Tony-Romos-riches.html

But the most useful stuff is in the summary of the guarantee money and first 3 year's money in each of the largest QB contracts. Because that is the number Dunn and Rodgers will be asking the Packers to beat.

From the NFP article:

First 3 years: Flacco ($62 million), Brees ($61 million) , Manning ($58 million) and Romo ($57 million).

Guaranteed money: Drew Brees ($60.5 million), Peyton Manning ($58 million), Tom Brady ($57 million), Romo’s ($55 million).

Side note: $11.5 million of Romo’s guarantee is his own money because his 2013 base salary in his prior contract was $11.5 million. Also, Romo's guarantee numbers include money that is only paritally guaranteed now and could become full guaranteed later. So none of these numbers should be used to calculate cap hits, potential renegotiate/cut dates.

So what do I know about Rodgers new deal? It will contain more than $62 million in money for the first three years and have more than 60.5 mil in (partially) guaranteed money.

And I still think they should just guarantee the whole contract for four years and $16-18 mil per.

woodbuck27
04-05-2013, 09:33 AM
I kinda like the speculation and drama. I just have to find an article that says Clay Mathews is trying to sabotage Aaron Rodgers' contract in order to get more money. Ohhh that would be juicy. Maybe throw a steamy love triangle in there somewhere too.

Just a thought Smeefers:

Have a ball but I'd suggest getting rid ot that ** 'steamy love triangle' part. ;-)

Some people believe everything is truthful on the internet. There's alot of non members reading Packerrats.

I'm sensing with **; some hellish rumors surfacing around the NFL regarding all levels of communication within the Packer organization.

The most important man in the Packers organization becoming the locker room:

http://www.freakingnews.com/pictures/6500/Towel-Boy-Ben---6800.jpg

Towel Boy

Imagine the cost of that man's salary and his 'special attire'.

Not to mention, putting a whole new meaning on:

GO PACK GO!

SnakeLH2006
04-06-2013, 12:07 AM

Towel Boy

GO PACK GO![/QUOTE]

__________________________________________________ _____

Umm...wtf was that Woodbuck...Snake has never had a prob with you...but that is HELLA creepy. Either your a virgin..or a 56 year old dude sitting alone in his apt eating sardines waiting for a new post on Packerrats. Do you work, man? I'm creeeped out bro. Yikes.

SnakeLH2006
04-06-2013, 12:18 AM
Woodbuck...here's to you dude:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tG-AwQAvbRo

and...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WWaLxFIVX1s

...back to football...Clay at $13 million is a deal...Arod at $22 million is ok if they don't tear up his last 2 years on the cheap and give him an extension...no reason not to....

woodbuck27
04-09-2013, 10:21 PM

Towel Boy

GO PACK GO!

__________________________________________________ _____

Umm...wtf was that Woodbuck...Snake has never had a prob with you...but that is HELLA creepy. Either your a virgin..or a 56 year old dude sitting alone in his apt eating sardines waiting for a new post on Packerrats. Do you work, man? I'm creeeped out bro. Yikes.[/QUOTE]

56 years old!? Nope. To fit that I would have become an avid Packer fan at about 2 years of age.

Virgin. I fathered three daughters. I'll leave that 'just' there.

I don't care for sardines. I'm a smoked kippers man.

NFL football is a hobby. The Green Bay Packers and Packerrats a passion.

I'm happily retired as of last year.

Sorry your creeped out. Have you tried this trick?

http://t2.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcSTl7xILCb2PYiZduFMJmCtXTUB3QaH0 ToHdEdrKAnY5kdGsEGSXQ

I just did after watching 45 seconds of that Family Guy episode.

Fritz
04-10-2013, 06:16 PM
Let's just get those deals done, Russ Ball. I want to know what the future holds for the Pack, specifically regarding Mr. B.J. Raji. Does the team have any interest in returning him to the fold? Does he have any interest in returning?

Joemailman
04-10-2013, 06:42 PM
Let's just get those deals done, Russ Ball. I want to know what the future holds for the Pack, specifically regarding Mr. B.J. Raji. Does the team have any interest in returning him to the fold? Does he have any interest in returning?

Whether Raji returns may depend on the market value. If some team is willing to make Raji the highest paid NT in the NFL, I'm not sure TT will or can match it, given how much he's going to have to pay Matthews and Rodgers.

Bretsky
04-10-2013, 08:38 PM
After last year I'm not even sure how good Raji is. It will be interesting to see what TT does

Joemailman
04-10-2013, 09:05 PM
After last year I'm not even sure how good Raji is. It will be interesting to see what TT does

Raji and Pickett are both heading in to the last year of their contract. I'll be surprised if they are both in a Packer uniform next year. I think TT will take a DT/NT in Round 1 or 2 this year, and decide which of the veterans to keep.

Bretsky
04-10-2013, 10:15 PM
Raji and Pickett are both heading in to the last year of their contract. I'll be surprised if they are both in a Packer uniform next year. I think TT will take a DT/NT in Round 1 or 2 this year, and decide which of the veterans to keep.

Agree
Ideally ya gotta keep the young guy; it is the way of TT

But what if Pickett can be had for 2MIL a Year and Raji costs 6-7MIL a year.....

Fritz
04-11-2013, 05:33 AM
Good point. Then you probably gotta keep Pick. And while I read a story in the JSO about his play dropping off this year, whatever happened to the meme that a d-tackle gets better with age?

pbmax
04-11-2013, 08:04 AM
Pickett has gotten moved with double teams the last year or two. Not badly, not like Raji, but he doesn't stay put like he did through the Super Bowl year. I would be happy with a big DT early.

Raji is just not the anchor Pickett is. He is best versus a team that wants to pass. he got steamrolled versus the 49ers a couple of times.

smuggler
04-11-2013, 10:37 AM
They could possibly just franchise Raji for a year or two like they did with Pickett.

Fritz
04-11-2013, 12:03 PM
Pickett has gotten moved with double teams the last year or two. Not badly, not like Raji, but he doesn't stay put like he did through the Super Bowl year. I would be happy with a big DT early.

Raji is just not the anchor Pickett is. He is best versus a team that wants to pass. he got steamrolled versus the 49ers a couple of times.

Is it that Raji just isn't really a good fit for the 3-4 hold-your-gap scheme?

woodbuck27
04-11-2013, 12:56 PM

2013 will be a telling season for Ted Thompson and DT/DE BJ Raji, and CB Tramone Williams. I can see these starters playing elsewhere in 2014.

Ryan Pickett b. Oct. 8,1979 is closing in on his mid thirtys. How much longer he lasts will be emhanced if Ted Thompson gets a strong DT (NT) early in this draft.

Jermichael Finley will have to absolutely stink before Ted Thompson will send him packing. TT has some kinda craving for that guy. There's no sense in TT/MM having Tyler Eifert on the sidelines.

The '40 time' is finally in for RB Eddie Lacy ** . A good time for a pounder his size.

In any case, TT should ignore RB and TE or Eddie Lacy & Tyler Eifert at #26.

TT's primary focus for this draft!?

A) TT does best drafting DL,OL,WR,DB / BPA in rounds one.

There's not alot there that's really exciting unless someone unexpectantly slips to us. One of my personal favourites and a real gift for Aaron Rodgers; WR DeAndre Hopkins, Clemson.

I like the steady heads up play of ILB Eric Minter, LCU; a slight reach.

B) With huge concern at LT and his $$$25 Million Dollar Baby$$$ needing to stay upright. TT may? go LT and Menelick Watson, Florida State or Terron Armstead, Arkansas-Pine Bluff.

C) Ted Thompson would do very well if DE Datone Jones, UCLA fell to him. DT Jesse Williams, Alabama may fall into the same watch.

D) Higher graded DE's ... Cornellius Carradine, Florida State and Alex Okafor, Texas should be on the board at #26.

E) Please See above. TT should draft a RB after Round three.

** https://twitter.com/seniorbowl/status/322368851155226624

GO PACK GO !

SnakeLH2006
04-12-2013, 02:17 AM
I don't have a prob with Pickett or Raji...but think of it this way...TT has been unpredictable in drafts..till now. What he does is genious...he drafts the replacements. Meaning he'll either draft a TE to replace Finley or a DT to replace Raji/Pickett. Look at future FA's he won't resign...then look at who he drafts.

Fritz
04-12-2013, 08:56 AM
This is a good observation, I think. It's a sign that things are in decent shape that instead of frantically filling holes (think Detroit Lions), he's drafting replacements for the guys he knows will probably not be around.

Thus, seeing him draft a couple of d-linemen, a wide receiver, and a safety would not be surprising.

woodbuck27
04-12-2013, 12:48 PM
Whether Raji returns may depend on the market value. If some team is willing to make Raji the highest paid NT in the NFL, I'm not sure TT will or can match it, given how much he's going to have to pay Matthews and Rodgers.

BJ Raji won't be worth much more than TT decides he's worth.

I hope that TT has that evaluation correct. I'm not impressed with BJ Raji anymore.

The same goes for CB Tramone Williams and TE JerMichael Finley. I hope that 'two out of three ain't bad' for this trio and coming through...getting it together, is a realistic hope.

PACKERS !
PACKERS!

woodbuck27
04-12-2013, 12:49 PM
Agree
Ideally ya gotta keep the young guy; it is the way of TT

But what if Pickett can be had for 2MIL a Year and Raji costs 6-7MIL a year.....

Is BJ Raji worth $7 million$?

smuggler
04-12-2013, 01:12 PM
I think Raji's play from last year probably puts him in the $4-$6 million range.

woodbuck27
04-12-2013, 03:20 PM
I think Raji's play from last year probably puts him in the $4-$6 million range.

He's not worth anything close to a double digit yearly salary. If he gets anything like that. I'm sure that he'll love the city and it's not Green Bay.

Of course ... I'm on record as still confused over Jermichael and Ted Thompson. He's IMO a very expensive rental for one season.

PACKERS !

woodbuck27
04-13-2013, 05:01 PM
This is a good observation, I think. It's a sign that things are in decent shape that instead of frantically filling holes (think Detroit Lions), he's drafting replacements for the guys he knows will probably not be around.

Thus, seeing him draft a couple of d-linemen, a wide receiver, and a safety would not be surprising.

I think TT has to pick at all three of those positions Fritz. He has to go DT for sure and/or DE early. He should go Safety early or settle for far less later in the draft. He has to be thinking the same if he's looking for more at Center. There's not much depth at Center. I'm thinking move on a Center in round three unless there was a run on that position.

WR >>> go big or stay home for awhile. One or more of Keenan Allen, DeAndre Hopkins, Justin Hunter may be available at #26. All will be very tempting. If two out of three are gone maybe Datone Jones is there as BPA (his board) and that prospect will be very tempting. I'll call that then a 'so what'. If we're talking pick and DL that pick must be an excellent choice to fit the plans for scheme. The prospect has to fit the scheme and not vice versa.

The thing with a pick and the DL is in the debate between Wist43 and 3irty1. That debate is good and there can be 'only one winner' in my view.That winner is discovered by arriving at some mutuality of agreement.

At this time their close to arriving there and maybe not realizing that just yet. They have to get there.

Where is our DC's head? What is our predominant defensive scheme? How will Capers use BJ Raji if he and TT target to choose a 5 Tech DE? Does BJ Raji really know what's his best role on our DL? It seems to me that he wants to be a playmaker. Is he being realistic or true to himself? What do we really have in OLB wanna be DE Nick price.Where does he belong...see BJ Raji.

What do we really have inside at LBer? Such an upcoming season filled with ?marks?

Dom Capers and TT have to communicate and agree and work out the best targets for that decided upon scheme. That's where BPA and DL, and it's moot but include LB, isn't always a viable option. The right player fits the right scheme. It's simply and 'just' that. It's not anything else.

I cannot imagine the headache that TT is having to get that #26 pick exactly right. No problem Ehh!? TT had about 2.5K prospects to chose from at #26. Piece of cake....right!? Sure. If he doesn't get it right he'll never pass that by posters here.

The pressure to be very right is big this draft.

As Wist43 says... stay tuned on that Thursday night. It's all very interesting and flows right or left with that #26 pick. He may not get the benefit of trading down this draft. How many GM's on the bottom third of Rd. 1 might desire that strategy? TT has to be focused this draft; 'on the ball' alert. I suggest focused on strength, speed and athleticism. Focused on dedicated love to play football enthusiastically, 'football players' need 'only' apply. That had to be his advertisement last February. Has Ted Thompson and his Scouts payed due diligence to knowing exactly who those eligibles are?

I'm simply wondering.

I want this draft to fire up the Green Bay Packers; because the team certainly needs just that.

GO PACKERS !

Pugger
04-14-2013, 01:38 AM
BJ Raji won't be worth much more than TT decides he's worth.

I hope that TT has that evaluation correct. I'm not impressed with BJ Raji anymore.

The same goes for CB Tramone Williams and TE JerMichael Finley. I hope that 'two out of three ain't bad' for this trio and coming through...getting it together, is a realistic hope.

PACKERS !
PACKERS!

I wonder if Tramon wasn't 100% last year but he played anyway?

Pugger
04-14-2013, 01:40 AM
He's not worth anything close to a double digit yearly salary. If he gets anything like that. I'm sure that he'll love the city and it's not Green Bay.

Of course ... I'm on record as still confused over Jermichael and Ted Thompson. He's IMO a very expensive rental for one season.

PACKERS !

If Finley continues to play like he did late last season then he'll get an extension. If he is still inconsistent he'll walk after this coming season. For our team I'm hoping for the former.

Carolina_Packer
04-14-2013, 08:22 AM
If Finley continues to play like he did late last season then he'll get an extension. If he is still inconsistent he'll walk after this coming season. For our team I'm hoping for the former.

The Packers are paying out an expensive option year to find out if that is true or not. I hope he tears it up; who doesn't? But, is it more likely he will be more like he has been (inconsistent) or a man on a mission (playing for a contract)? They've paid to see, so let's hope it works out in the team's favor.

pbmax
04-14-2013, 09:27 AM
I wonder if Tramon wasn't 100% last year but he played anyway?

I think the Packers think that. Otherwise, I doubt he would still be at his cap number. Or on the team. Finley was an easier call because its just one year. TWill has two years left at 8.5 and 9.5 mil in cap terms.

Patler
04-14-2013, 10:04 AM
Things could still happen with both Williams and Finley.

While I don't think it will happen, Finley is more easily traded now than before his bonus was paid. A lot of teams, including the Packers, would be happy to have him for a season and pay him his remaining $4.5 million (or whatever). The only way I could see the Packers trading him now would be as part of a package deal to move high in the draft and pick a player TT is especially high on, as he did for Matthews. I express this as only a possibility, not something that I think is likely to happen.

Tramon Williams is a different matter, and a decision on him can come much later. I don't believe the Packers have really made a decision on him yet for 2013. He hasn't had a significant bonus due that I am aware of. They have adequate cap room right now to do what they want to do, so lowering his salary is not important just yet. CB are so critical that they probably want to give him every opportunity to return to his 2010 form, and that means giving him the off season to do it. They could still ask him to take a salary reduction before the start of the season, or if they think they can play without him, he could yet be released or traded. At his salary, I think releasing him after TC is a possibility, if he doesn't show signs of returning to his 2010 form and/or if House comes on to play like he did in training camp last year, and both Hayward and Shields play as they did last year. Could be a good spot for another high draft pick. More than likely, Williams will stay with the Packers at his current salary in whatever role he fits, and decision time regarding his Packer career will be next off-season.

Smeefers
04-14-2013, 10:18 AM
The Packers are paying out an expensive option year to find out if that is true or not. I hope he tears it up; who doesn't? But, is it more likely he will be more like he has been (inconsistent) or a man on a mission (playing for a contract)? They've paid to see, so let's hope it works out in the team's favor.

It really doesn't bother me that the team is overpaying Finley for a year for two reasons. One - It keeps things nice and happy between the organization and Finley in case he finally breaks out this season and turns into the beast he's been hinting at for years. It makes it much easier to do an extension mid season if that's the way the wind is blowing. The dude is has every skill in the book to be the best TE in the league, it all just has to come together. Two - We have the money, we're not spending it anywhere else, so I don't care where it goes. If we were fighting for cap space to sign someone, he would be the first guy I'd point to. We're not doing that, so I don't care where the money goes.

Joemailman
04-14-2013, 07:58 PM
Things could still happen with both Williams and Finley.

While I don't think it will happen, Finley is more easily traded now than before his bonus was paid. A lot of teams, including the Packers, would be happy to have him for a season and pay him his remaining $4.5 million (or whatever). The only way I could see the Packers trading him now would be as part of a package deal to move high in the draft and pick a player TT is especially high on, as he did for Matthews. I express this as only a possibility, not something that I think is likely to happen.

Tramon Williams is a different matter, and a decision on him can come much later. I don't believe the Packers have really made a decision on him yet for 2013. He hasn't had a significant bonus due that I am aware of. They have adequate cap room right now to do what they want to do, so lowering his salary is not important just yet. CB are so critical that they probably want to give him every opportunity to return to his 2010 form, and that means giving him the off season to do it. They could still ask him to take a salary reduction before the start of the season, or if they think they can play without him, he could yet be released or traded. At his salary, I think releasing him after TC is a possibility, if he doesn't show signs of returning to his 2010 form and/or if House comes on to play like he did in training camp last year, and both Hayward and Shields play as they did last year. Could be a good spot for another high draft pick. More than likely, Williams will stay with the Packers at his current salary in whatever role he fits, and decision time regarding his Packer career will be next off-season.

The situation with Tramon is a tough one. The Packers could save several million by releasing him this year. On the other hand, if they do, they're one injury away from Jarrett Bush being the nickel back unless they draft someone who can contribute right away. If his shoulder isn't 100% by September, that will be 2 years since the injury. At that point, you would really have to question if he ever will be the player he was.

Smeefers
04-15-2013, 08:55 AM
The situation with Tramon is a tough one. The Packers could save several million by releasing him this year. On the other hand, if they do, they're one injury away from Jarrett Bush being the nickel back unless they draft someone who can contribute right away. If his shoulder isn't 100% by September, that will be 2 years since the injury. At that point, you would really have to question if he ever will be the player he was.

You're normally just one injury away from a crappy backup taking over. That doesn't mean you pay a backup a ton of money.

I refuse to give up on him just yet. I know last year left a bad taste in the mouth, but Williams was becoming one of the best CB's in the league. You don't just throw that talent away unless you have good reason for it.