PDA

View Full Version : 8/21 CLIFFY CHRISTL CHAT

Bretsky
08-22-2006, 10:26 PM
MONDAY, Aug. 21, chat transcript
Cliff Christl
Packer Insider columnist

With Mike McCarthy's home exhibition debut in the books, Cliff Christl answered your questions on the game and on training camp so far.

Q: Devin of PLC, Venezuela - I haven't been able to see any of the preseason games down here so I rely on what is printed for most of my Packer info. So here is my question. I believe there have been five times where I read McCarthy referencing past coaching stints to explain, highlight, or justify what we can expect in terms of his philosophy and/or the type of play that will come from the Packers this year. He reminds me of a old head coach I worked under when I was the offensive coordinator for a high school team in Denver. This guy came from Kansas and was always bragging about what they did back there to make his schemes justifiable. However, finally one day I asked about his playoff experience and he told me that he never coached in a playoff and that his best season record was 4-5. Both he and McCarthy talk a good game but isn't the bottom line wins and losses AND hasn't McCarthy’s experience been mainly for losing programs? Red Flag? Also, I am curious do you think even Favre in his prime could take this team to the playoffs given the lack of offensive weapons?

A: Cliff Christl - Devin, you posted the first question. Sorry about the late start. I got out of the locker room late, then had to look some facts up for my Camp Report and just got done. I was interviewing others and didn't hear McCarthy's press session today. He has some different philosophies. He's taking a different approach. Time will tell if he's successful. Former general manager Ron Wolf considered it a priority to hire coaches from winning backgrounds. But I don't think you can write off McCarthy because he hasn't been with a winner in recent years.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Q: Frank Cannon of Madison - Cliff, After the this game, are you still not seeing anything to like with this team?

A: Cliff Christl - Frank, that's a good question. The score obviously tells you that the Packers played much better. Offensive coordinator Jeff Jagodzinski said today that they had 39 knockdown blocks and he was pleased with that. They played fast. They probably gained some much needed confidence. Brett Favre was hot and he's been looking better in practice. That's what you look for in a team: Improvement. But! And there are several buts to point out. One, the Falcons didn't play maybe three of their four or five best players: tight end Alge Crumpler, linebacker Keith Brooking and running back Warrick Dunn. Pro Football Weekly, based on its poll of scouts, rated Crumpler the third best tight end in the league and Brooking the seventh best inside backer. By the second quarter, when the Packers started their 13-play, 73-yard drive with Favre at quarterback and all their first stringers still in the game, the Falcons were playing with their backup defensive line, backup safeties and had lost cornerback DeAngelo Hall, another of their top players, to injury. So defensive linemen Rod Coleman, Patrick Kerney and John Abraham, all of whom have been Pro Bowl players I believe, were out of the game. In their place were two rookies and a second-year man. Favre and Co. should chew up a second string and that's when the game turned. In the end, the Packers played two quarterbacks; the Falcons played four. So you have to consider all that in an exhibition game. That's why I don't put a whole lot of stock in the victory any more than the Packers' ugly performance in San Diego. I think the better way to gauge this team is by how it practices.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Q: Brett of Milwaukee - Where can I get my Super Bowl tickets??? Okay, okay. Seriously, this year's draft is looking better by the day. We know Hawk and Jennings are (probably) the real deal, but what about CULVER-- how good might he be?

A: Cliff Christl - I think Culver could be a good, solid player. He has a real feel for the game. But it's early. He has to keep getting better. Will he be a great player some day? Probably not. But he could be a good backup this year and a capable starter in the future. Are Jennings and Hawk the real deal? They, even more so, look like they'll be good players. Will they be better than that? That's not a given.
Q: Peter of Woodbury, MN - Two things stood out: 1)there were almost no penalties for the second week in a row; 2)Farve made good decisions and didn't throw any bad balls. I think a lack of penalties indicates discipline. I've never understood why the Raiders with all the different coaches over the years are still one of the most penalized teams in football. You'd think Al Davis would have corrected that by now.

A: Cliff Christl - It was one game. But Favre did look good, even in the first quarter, when the Falcons were playing their starting defenders.
Q: Crazy Dave of Lunatic Fringe, WI - Hey Cliff, What reason would anybody have for thinking the Packers' run game or offense in general would be any better this year? I mean, do people really think that Ahman Green is going to be BETTER that he was BEFORE he sustained a major injury last year? The guards actually sound like their going to be worse than last year to boot. If the zone blocking scheme is good enough to make that group of slouches look good, every team in the league would be running it. Lord I hope they use next year's top 5 pick on offense.

A: Cliff Christl - I think Spitz will be OK at guard and certainly better than Klemm or Whitticker. Let's wait and see about Moll. I think Wells will be fine at center, probably better than the Flanagan of the past year or two. The difference between last year and this year is that last year's guards never got any better. I could see Spitz improving from week to week. Maybe even Moll. As for Green, I agree that's unrealistic to think that he'll be better than he was. But he has looked good in practice. It's a different team when he's on the field. But will he stay healthy?
Q: Jimbo of Milwaukee - I'm wondering what makes a player like Donald Driver so head and shoulders above Robert Ferguson? I know Ferguson has been injury prone, but even when he is healthy he's not in Driver's class. Ferguson seems to have more physical tools, but Driver consistently outperforms him. There just doesn't seem like a huge difference between the two except Driver seems to get open more and catch more balls. Why will Driver have a 70 catch, 1,000 yard season and Ferguson have a 30 catch 400 yard season?

A: Cliff Christl - I think Driver plays much faster.
Q: Bob of Onalaska - Would it be correct to say that you were impressed with that Ed Donatell defense on Saturday night?

A: Cliff Christl - Soft as usual. But they substituted early. Their defensive line, which is their strength, was on the sidelines by early in the second quarter. Really, their three best defenders -- Rod Coleman, Keith Brooking and DeAngelo Hall -- didn't play 30 plays combined.
Q: Scott of Chicago - Obviously a better effort this week. Couldn’t watch the game but on-line play-by-play indicated that Atlanta was consistently getting 20+ yards on their kickoff returns despite kicks consistently into the endzone or to the goal line. Was this the result of line drive kicks, poor coverage, or a little of both? What was your assessment of special teams in general?

A: Cliff Christl - You're right. The kickoff coverage left something to be desired. So did the punting and return teams.
Q: Jeff Matchette of Maple Grove, MN - Cliff, Super Bowl here we come!!! What a performance last night! My favorite Packers player is Tyrone Culver. Any chance he can take the starting spot from Manuel? I think he is so cute. Have you been able to get out on your Harley for any trips this summer? I rode cross country to my favorite city . . . San Francisco. What a ride! Go Packers!!

A: Cliff Christl - I think Manuel will start. Culver would have to go in the tank in the next week or so, not to make the team. I rode about 3,000 miles during my vacation. Started out down The Great River Road.
Q: Chip of Green Bay - Given the caveat that it's premature to speculate on a players' future based on training camp and two exhibition games, how do you assess the chances of Aaron Rodgers becoming a serviceable, if not winning, successor to Favre when the time comes? Also, does PI plan to have a local coach analyze the games this season? I thought it was an interesting feature to get that perspective last year.

A: Cliff Christl - Rodgers has the tools to be a good quarterback in the NFL and good quarterbacks can be winning quarterbacks. I still think the big question with Rodgers will be this: How will he withstand the pressure of being Favre's successor and all the comparisons that will be made?
Q: todd francois of juda - I heard your opinions on Packer pre game Saturday night your negativity about them really did alot for me! I think you were not watching training camp and you were watching the little league seven year old titans practice! You said no gamebreakers excuse me Donald Driver and Greg Jennings? Aj Hawk average? You are an old bitter man! Please actually try to enjoy this season!

A: Cliff Christl - I've seen every practice. Driver and Jennings have made plays. I've written that. But they don't stand out as two of the best receivers in the league. Hawk played better against Atlanta, but he hasn't stood out in practice. By the way, how many practices have you watched? Or do you just wave your pom-poms based on what you see in a meaningless exhibition game where substitution patterns usually dictate the score?
Q: Todd of Appleton - Cliff, love the chats. Can you answer this question please? What is the NFL's rationale for only allowing 45 active players on game days even though there are 53 on the roster? Why don't they allow all 53 to be available on game days? I recall numerous teams having to make decisions on players on game days, and then having an injury at a position that really puts teams at a disadvantage by not having enough players at a certain positions. I have discussed this rule with numerous knowledgeable football fans, and no one really knows the answer why. Do you, oh great one? Thanks.

A: Cliff Christl - I'm not sure what all the reasons are. But I remember when teams played with 36-man rosters and had no problems filling positions. Maybe one reason is that it's at least a small check on situation substitution, which I think hurts the game.
Q: Jeff of Denver - Hi Cliff...The running game seemed ok,I think if a back with more speed was running the ball other than Davenport we may have seen some big gains. It seems to me that Davenport don’t have the speed to get outside. Did you see the same thing Cliff?thanks for your time.

A: Cliff Christl - Arliss Beach looked good. I wrote before the San Diego game that he looks as good as any of their running backs at times and Beach couldn't start at Kentucky. Davenport is a load when he gets going, but he isn't a fast starter. I thought he showed some power, which is his strength, but the numbers didn't look good: 11 carries, 29 yards, a 2.6 average.
Q: Rich of Milwaukee - A lot has been made of the "youth movement" around Green Bay with the likes of Moll, Jennings, Raynor, and Culver. Playing young players seems like a good enough idea, but based on what you have seen what do you think the possibility is that these young players are thrust in a situation where they are in over their head? Early failure could ruin their confidence for good as was the case with Joey Harrington.

A: Cliff Christl - I don't think that will be the case with Jennings or Spitz or Hawk or Culver, at least in the roles planned for them. But some of the others might prove to be in over their heads. I think the Packers could keep nine to 12 rookies. That's an awful lot.
Q: Lance W. of Hudson, WI - Hi Cliff. After seeing Clifton on the sidelines with icing the knees, what would be the back up plan if a tackle went down? Is there anybody on the roster now who could step in and hold up at all if Tauscher or Clifton went down?

A: Cliff Christl - If Clifton and Tauscher went down, the season is over. But you could probably say that about every team in the league. How many could withstand the loss of both starting tackles and make the playoffs? Any? Let's face reality here. Nobody has that kind of depth or at least it's extremely rare.
Q: Kyle of Detroit - Was wondering where all the arm chair general managers who complained about TT not signing Koren Robinson are? Give the guy some time.

A: Cliff Christl - Good point. A lot of players in the league ride high one day and hit bottom the next for personal transgressions, because they're inconsistent, because their confidence rises and falls. That's why it's really hard to judge the careers of players until they've been around at least five years.
Q: chad of ripon - It was only one game but did you think the rookie lineman held there own in this game. I thought they played better in pass protection then they did run blocking.

A: Cliff Christl - I thought they played better no question. But Spitz wasn't bad the first game. I think Moll was better than Colledge, but it appeared to me that they gave Moll help on most pass plays when Rod Coleman was in the game. Again, that's what you look for: Improvement. You can't expect those guards to be world-beaters as first-year players. But will they get better week in and week out? That's how it was with Clifton and Tauscher their rookie years. I thought early that season there were a lot of soft pockets, but they just kept improving.
Q: Bear hater of Chicago - What has been the biggest surprise and the biggest disappointment for the Packers so far this preseason? Who do you see as the starting guards when the season opens?

A: Cliff Christl - Biggest surprise? Maybe that Jennings has been as good as he is. Biggest disappointment? That players like Gado, Davenport, Gardner, Boerigter haven't shown any playmaking ability. The guard jobs are Spitz's and Moll's to lose.
Q: Bob of San Antonio - One game doe not mean we will have successful season, but in the last four years did Sherman ever have a pre-season game with that much hustle and scoring and big plays? On TV it is difficult to follow the offensive lineman--How did our guards look?

A: Cliff Christl - Before you start the Sherman bashing, how many times did he play Favre for an extended period against the other team's backup players?
Q: Andy of Muskego - Hi Cliff. Aside from a little help on a tipped pass it does seem Jennings has at least some promise given the opportunity. With the chance for young players to demonstrate any potential in a "live" setting down to two exhibition games, is there any chance that Coach Mike would be more willing to see what another young player like Ruvell Martin can do? Nothing against guys like Fergie, Gardner or Boerigter but they all have had years to distinguish themselves. After years of witnessing Sherman continually stick with players with little or no future upside that in some cases like Antuan Edwards weren't even his own picks, would you be somewhat skeptical of the new coach Mike if he were to cut someone like Martin at least before playing him some? If the three vets are having quiet camps, why not at least take a longer look at the younger guys?

A: Cliff Christl - They're playing Ferguson and Gardner ahead of Martin, but I wouldn't be surprised if Martin got more of an opportunity Monday night. I think they like him and I think he has a good shot at making it.
Q: Jimmy of Milwaukee - How does Tyrone Culvers Developement in the cerebral aspect of the safety position compare to that of Darren Sharper or Marquis Anderson?

A: Cliff Christl - Culver might be a smarter player than either one was early, but he might not be as talented. I guess it's how different people perceive talent. I thought Anderson had some talent, but something was missing there. As a result, Culver appears to be a better player than Anderson. I'd be surprised if Culver matches Sharper's career. I think Sharper was a notch or more above Anderson and Culver in terms of pure ability.
Q: Ron of Jeremy, WI - Does it seem as if Abdul Hodge will not crack the starting lineup by opening day?

A: Cliff Christl - It doesn't appear that he'll start. Taylor was still on the strong side today. I'm not sure if Hodge's pass coverage is up to snuff.
Q: TOM of PALATINE, IL - CLIFF, I CONSIDER MY SELF A KNOWELDGABLE FOOTBALL (PACKER) FAN. I REALIZE THAT THE GOALS OF THIS TEAM IS TO DEVLOP THE YOUNG TALENT ON THIS TEAM, SO IT CAN COMPETE FOR THE PLAY-OFFS, WILDCARD OR WHATEVER, IN 2008. THAT BEING SAID, THE O-LINE SITUATION HAS ME CONFUSED/WORRIED. WOULD IT MAKLE SENSE TO LEAVE COLLEDGE AT LT TO BACK UP CLIFTON? GOOD TACKLES ARE HARD TO GROOM. ALSO, IT LOOKS LIKE THIS DRAFT CLASS MAY PAN OUT FOR SOME KEEPERS. THANK YOU

A: Cliff Christl - If Colledge doesn't start at guard and I'm guessing he won't, I would expect that they'll take a look at him at tackle at some point. But I can't imagine that he'll be the backup left tackle without practicing there all camp. Keep in mind, he's a rookie. I wouldn't write him off at guard, either. He needs to get stronger, but that can happen in one off-season in the weight room. Also, most of the top left tackles in the game are taller and bigger than Colledge. I'm not sure Colledge is a good NFL fit there.
Q: Terry Huebner of Hinsdale, IL - Love that chats. I have a couple of questions. Combined with the lesser emphasis on a fullback who is a lead blocker, do you think that Vonte Leach's continued problems with catching well thrown balls will doom his chances of making the roster? Also, is Montgomery just one of those guys who can make plays against backups and will do little more than tease when he has to step up against someone's starters? Finally, are they going to think about Colledge at left tackle now that it appears that he won't be starting at guard?

A: Cliff Christl - Leach is the only blocker they have at the position. But he's a liability as a receiver. Even in practice, he usually looks like he's fighting the ball, although I don't think he has an inordinate number of drops. They ran Herron and Gado at fullback some today, but I don't think they could do anything more than get the Packers through a game, if that.
Q: Andrew of los angeles - You hardly mention Moll in your camp reports. Is he the answer/future at RG? What positive attributes you have observed about him? What happened to College? His early review was very encouraging but it seems he has melted under pressure. Any chance of him still starting this season (barring injury to the other linemen)? Or is his future at LT?

A: Cliff Christl - Moll has been inconsistent in one-on-one pass blocking, but he battles and isn't easily intimidated. We'll see how he holds up when he starts playing against some of the top DTs in the NFC North. Colledge is a good athlete, although Spitz has been the better looking player going back to the off-season workouts. Colledge is learning a new position. He lacks some strength. He has good knee bend, but he's not playing with leverage in the running game or in pass protection. Again, tackles play more upright. So that's been part of the adjustment for him switching positions.
Q: PackerNation of San Antonio - You spoke highly once about Ben Brown. With all the issues surrounding Henderson, and Vonta Leach apparently unable to catch a pass out of the backfield, do you think that Brown will get a roster spot?

A: Cliff Christl - No. He's too raw. I mentioned Brown after a June workout, where I had seen him in a couple no-pads practices turn the corner with a head of steam and look a little like Davenport on the edge. And Brown showed some of that power in the scrimmage once he got started. But he doesn't look quick enough out of the blocks to play tailback. There are some things about him that intrigued the Packers and maybe still do. But it's unrealistic to think he could jump from Tabor College to the NFL. The learning curve is too steep.
Q: Tim Shilling of Indianapolis IN - Cliff, Gado and Davenport don't seem well suited for the new scheme. Have you watched any of the other young backs around the league who would be?Micheal Turner will be a star when removed from Tomlinson's shadow. I look forward to the day when Teddy pulls him from the clutches of the Chargers.Okay,maybe I'm dreamin',but isn't a dominant runner the key to this system we don't seem to have any quality players for?A penny for your thoughts.

A: Cliff Christl - They're banking on Ahman Green. If it works out, they could maybe surprise people. If it doesn't, I think it's going to be a long season.
Q: Mark of Greenville, S.C. - Thanks for taking the question, Cliff. As most see it, the keys to the Packers season seem to be the offensive and defensive lines. If that's true, what did you see that you liked Saturday night? What did you see that you did not like?

A: Cliff Christl - I think the offensive line situation is critical. They have to be able to block the outstanding DTs in the NFC North. But I'm of the belief that the biggest question is this: Who is going to make plays and score touchdowns? Don't get me wrong. Favre needs time and the backs need holes. But I don't see playmakers on either side of the ball.
Q: Mark Maynard of Ashland, Ky. - What do you think Arliss Beach's chances are of making the team? Did Saturday night's performance help his cause?

A: Cliff Christl - He has a shot. I think he blocked pretty well the other night, too. They'll keep Green. I'm guessing they'll keep Gado. If Beach outperforms Davenport and Herron again in the next two games, he could beat them out.
Q: Mike A of Oakdale, MN - Cliff - what is the point of keeping Noah Herron around? Maybe he looks good in non-contact drills, but in these first two games he gets knocked down as soon as someone even lays a pinkie on him. Seems to me like another guy destined for arena ball.

A: Cliff Christl - I wonder the same thing. They like him. I don't see it. They know way more than I do, so I've asked more than one person with the Packers: What am I missing? The response is: He's a football player. Maybe he is. But I see a 2.5 to a 3-yard one-gear back.
Q: Digger of Andover, MN - Hi Cliff, Even after of years of following this chat, I am still amazed by the savagery with which you attack even the most benign submissions. I understand part of the appeal of this "chat" is for you to rip the submitter. However, you have to give your followers credit for at least submitting clear cut opinions and not ducking issues as you often do (i.e. Shermy's firing). So come on Cliffy, how about a little more insight to the following question (which I'm sure implies that I'm some kind of moron): Is Davenport a candidate at fullback if Henderson can't answer the bell?

A: Cliff Christl - I guess you didn't appreciate it last week when I dismissed your suggestion about Barnett. But why mince words when someone suggests that the fans know more than the coaches? Maybe you think you do, but I'm not going to put any stock in what you think in that case. Also, I take no pleasure in ripping anybody. But I decided long ago that I'd treat people on these chats the way they approach me. If you're snotty, I'll be snotty back. Sound like a know it all, I may try to burst your bubble. Ask a direct question, I'll give you a direct answer. Be respectful and I'll be respectful in return. And if not, I'll regret it and that has been the case at times. That's also how I am with people face-to-face. If you're civil; I'll be civil. If you're not, you'll get the hint pretty quick how I feel about you. Anyway, good question about Davenport. They tried Herron and Gado there today, but may still try Davenport. Although he once played fullback and he's a big back, I don't think he's a good enough blocker to play the position.
Q: terry Chaney of Royal Oak, Mi. - I caught the game on the radio, and in the pregame show the commentators were relaying comments from the special team coach of the packers saying that often newspaper reporters were clouding up the situation, especially in regard to the punters by giving hang times and so forth. Basically he was saying that you didn't know what they may have been trying to accomplish in each of the periods. My question is this, do you have an opportunity to ask him, and if so would he tell you?

A: Cliff Christl - We have access to the special teams coach after only three practices each week. So I've asked the punters more often as to what was the objective of the drill: If it was a punting drill or punt return drill. But let's face it. Whatever the drill, you don't have to be a scout to get an idea how good a punter is. I don't see any clouding of the issue. Neither punter has looked anything special. Sander was inconsistent with distance; Ryan is inconsistent with his hang times. They ain't Ray Guy and it doesn't take a genius or a special teams coach to figure it out.
Q: Steve of Minnetonka, MN - Cliff, Now that we seemed to have settled on the OL stators who will be the reserves? If we keep nine and pencil in Colledge, White and Coston, who else would make it? This is not a good group and we're in for disaster if anyone of them have to start. TT badly needs to add a veteran. Any possibilities?

A: Cliff Christl - They yanked Mookie Moore the other night, but I still think he has a shot to make it. The bottom line is they have to protect Favre and Moore has shown the ability to pass block in one-on-one drills. I think Bourke has a shot.
Q: Jeff Martin of Iowa City - Is there any reason to keep Najeh Davenport? He ran better this week than last. But I think we've seen the best that he's got. I don't see any upside.

A: Cliff Christl - He has been injury prone. You don't see a lot of improvement. But he still may be more talented than anyone but Green and maybe Gado.
Q: JoJo of Fox Lake - Cliff, what is the statistical importance to preseason games? Have you ever done or have you seen any sort of analysis between regular season results and preseason games? I am curious if preseason games can used for predictions or are they completely meaningless for anything other than player evaluations.

A: Cliff Christl - I think they're meaningless except for player evaluations. You get a feel for teams early in games, but that's about it. I just looked up some of the multi Super Bowl winners and what they were in pre-season. The 49ers won five Super Bowls. In those pre-seasons, they were 2-2, 2-2, 3-2, 3-2 and 3-1. The Redskins won three. In those pre-seasons, they were 0-4, 3-1, 1-3. The Patriots won three. In those pre-seasons, they were 3-1, 4-0, 1-3. From what I can tell based on a quick glance, the Broncos don't even list their all-time pre-season records in their press guide. Shows what they think of them.
Q: tkaz of Short Pump VA - Cliff, Isn't this 'new' offense really the best thing for Favre at this point in his career, especially with a young o-line? Sounds like ball-control through short passes and runs is the recipe. Did the offense have a good rhythm and tempo Saturday night, and, who do you think will be the 5 or 6 receivers to make this team? Thanks Cliff. As always, these chats are informative and fun! TK

A: Cliff Christl - The offense was clicking Saturday night. Maybe the philosophy and McCarthy's play-calling will make a difference. The importance of coaching shouldn't be minimized. But, again, I wouldn't get excited over one game where the Packers' No. 1s took control against the other team's No. 2 defense. As for the receivers. My guess would be that they'll keep Driver, Ferguson, Jennings, Martin and either Cory Rodgers or Gardner or both. I don't know what they do with Rodgers. He was a fourth-round pick. There's some ability there. But you can't trust him to catch a punt and he hasn't done anything in practice as a wide receiver.
Q: John of Vienna, VA - Hi Cliff, How do you feel about being immortalized in the Onion article at http://www.theonion.com/content/node/51801 ?

A: Cliff Christl - The highlight of my career. But I was misquoted. I didn't think much of Bart Starr's suits, either.
Q: Hoosier John of Columbia City - Hi Cliff. Thanks for taking my question. I heard you on a radio station last weekend saying A.J. Hawk had not set himself apart from the pack or made any exceptional plays in camp. After watching the Atlanta game, I felt Hawk showed some awesome playmaking skills in blowing up the running back for a loss in the second quarter and then two players later going deep to break up a long pass. He also had a couple other impact hits later that I saw. He reminded me of Urlacher with his range and explosiveness. I know he is young and has a ways to go but did you feel after the game that Hawk made a big step up or did you see the game differently than I did. Thanks.

A: Cliff Christl - I agree. He made some plays especially during that three-play sequence that you're talking about. He showed burst to the ball and that he could run deep with a receiver. I still don't see him playing downhill on plays in front of him. But, again, it's early and the key is to keep getting better. He seems to be doing that.
Q: Jim of Minneapolis - Who's the real Tony Moll? The one getting beat in camp or the one that looks decent in a meaningless preseason game?

A: Cliff Christl - Good question. I don't have time to look at my notes from every day of practice, but I think I've seen him get beat by Jerome Nichols and Johnny Jolly. I think it was last week when Corey Williams whipped him twice. Yet he held his own during brief stints against Shawne Merriman and Rod Coleman. Maybe the key word there is brief. But I think he's a competitor. That's important.
Q: Marc of vancouver - Hey Cliff - thanks for taking my question. Great to see Greg Jennings make a big play against Atlanta on the 85-yard TD run. With the Packers desperate for "playmakers" and anyone who can take it the distance, does Jennings have a chance at beating out Ferguson for the no. 2 WR spot if he continues to develop good chemistry with Favre in preseason? And who do you think are the favorites for the other receiver spots? Gardner taken advantage of his opportunity thus far, and does Ruvell Martin still have a chance at making the squad? Cheers.

A: Cliff Christl - I thought it was interesting that Jimmy Williams couldn't catch Jennings from behind.
Q: Lennie Durow of San Diego - Cliff: I didn't have the chance to see the game, just the highlights on ESPN. All the JSO articles were very positive as well as the stats. However, the highlights showed one drive by Vick and co as the only first team drive that ended in a TD. Was our 1st unit D overwhelmed or was it an exceptional drive that couldn't be stopped? Also, the RB beach, I don't remember seeing Thumbs up or down for him in your daily blogs. The articles in JSO today have him tagged as a potential RB for us. What are your thoughts on him?

A: Cliff Christl - Check the Aug. 10 Camp Report under Thumbs Down for a positive word on Arliss Beach.
Q: Anderson of Chicago - Cliff, my theory on the pre-season is that the only meaningful portion of any game is when it's the ones v. the ones. Do subscribe to that? And if so, how do you think the Packers ones did against the Falcons's first team? I think they looked about even, but since Atlanta was missing Dunn, Crumpler, and Brookings, three pretty darn good players, and the Packers one score was a fluke tip, I think the Falcons were more impressive.

A: Cliff Christl - All good points, but I thought the first quarter when the 1s played the 1s was as even as the 7-7 score suggested. Favre's passing rating in that quarter was 130.8.
Q: gene of chicago - Congratulations on your appearance in the Onion! Earlier in camp you had a "thumbs up" for Daryn Colledge. What has gone wrong for the guy? Is he strictly a tackle?

A: Cliff Christl - Keep in mind, a Thumbs Up is often for one day of practice. It's pretty common for players to look good one day and not very good the next. Most NFL players are like everybody else: They have good days and bad days. The exceptions are the great players who are consistently good. That's why the teams with the most special players usually are the best teams.
Q: JC Ferrero of Cinci - Clifford, If you looked into the future and saw that this season's Packers finished 11-5, what would you think are the biggest 3 factors in this team's turn-around? Would it be the addition of the talented WR #85? The return of #30? The improved blocking over last year's leaky dam OL? The improved DB situation with Woodson, Manual, Culver? The getting-better DL? The new fly to the ball LBer unit? Special teams improvement? Healthier squad? More intense and fresher coaching? Why do we keep hearing these doom & gloom predictions based on the perceived talent level on this team which is based mostly on last season's 4-12 record, and doesn't factor in the additions of the talent of Charles Woodson, Greg Jennings, A.J. Hawk, Abdul Hodge, Benjamin Taylor, Ryan Pickett, as well as a Pro Bowl talent RB named Ahman.

A: Cliff Christl - I don't see this team finishing 11-5. Of the players you mentioned, most of them aren't anything special. They're good players, for the most part. But every team in the league has lots of good players. I would agree that Ahman Green is the unknown factor here. He looks good in no-tackling practices. If that holds up, the Packers could be better than I think. A running game changes everything. It opens up the passing game. And Jennings should make that better. As one of the offensive players told me the other night, he should make a big difference in how teams scheme against the Packers. That they won't be able to just double Driver. Last year, nobody worried about Antonio Chatman. He might catch some short balls over the middle for short gains, but he wasn't going to beat anybody. With Jennings in the slot and a running game, it could make a big difference for Favre. At least that was this player's expectation. But before anyone gets too excited, let's wait and see how Green looks Monday night and whether he survives.
Q: Bill of Warsaw - OK Cliff. I know it is just as silly to get too pumped up over an impressive pre-season win as it is to jump off the bridge after a bad pre-season loss. That being said this team did show me some things I did not expect. First, Jennings looks like he could be a play-maker. If so then he and Driver could form a good duo that along with Favre, would help us have a competent passing game. I agree with you that the only way we have a solid ground game this year is if Green makes a big comeback but I do see signs of life in the line blocking. Defensively, Hawk looks like he could be a playmaking linebacker once he knows the ropes and some of the young DBs and DL show promise as well. I was expecting 4 20-3 type pre-season drubbings but after this game, maybe our offense and defense will have some life after all. Your thoughts?

A: Cliff Christl - I think that's a reasonable outlook. But I think so much depends on Green.
Q: Prime of LaX - Cliff is it a fair assessment to say that people (including you) are expecting way to much out of Hawk his rookie season. If you look at some past rookie linebackers drafter high in the first round Urlacher and Merriman have been the only ones that immediately were pro bowl caliber players. LaVar Arrington (2nd overall), Julian Peterson (16th overall), and Dan Morgan (11th)all had subpar rookie seasons, and all turned out to be excellent pros. Arrington only had 55 tackles and 4 sacks his rookie year, Morgan had 67 tackles and 1 sack, and Peterson had 46 tackles and 4 sacks. Hawk will be a great player for years to come, I am sick of all this bust talk.

A: Cliff Christl - Suggesting that he's a bust is absurd. But he was supposed to be the most ready-made player in the draft and that we haven't seen. Why? That's the $64,000 question. The bottom line is that he has to be a great player for that to be a good pick. Only time will tell if he's going to live up to those expectations and you can't conclude anything from three weeks of practice and two exhibition games.
Q: James of Racine - Cliff, I've got to think you are liking Thompson's decisions over the past week. Release Cundiff who has NFL experience but is average at best and will get no better. Keep Ranier (at least for now) because he has a stronger leg and more upside. Release BJ Sander because he is average with some experience. Keep Ryan because he has a big leg and at least shows potential to be good. These moves seem to line up with your theory of keeping players that can improve or veterans that have reached their pinnacle and are only average. Am I correct in this assessment?

A: Cliff Christl - I agree with the moves, but I'm not convinced they have the answers in Rayner and Ryan.
Q: Steve-o of Slinger - Hey Cliff - This is question/observation obviously isn't about this past preseason game but more a more general one in nature. Anyway, it seems to me that the one thing Favre hates the most is taking a sack. If there is anyway possible to get the ball out, it is coming out. I'm guessing that the next QB for the Pack (presumably Rodgers) won't throw as many INTs but will take three times more sacks. That may be more painful to watch than the INTs. Would you rather have a guy be cautious and take the sacks or take his shots even if it means more INTs?

A: Cliff Christl - Good question. I Favre wasn't a gunslinger, I don't think he'd be a Hall of Famer. That's what made him special. Now, there are limits to the risk-taking, but I think a lot of that has to do with supporting cast and particularly the running game. If the Packers can run the ball, I think Favre will feel less compelled to take chances. But we'll see. Thanks for all the questions.

© 2005, Milwaukee Journal Sentinel. All rights reserved. Produced by Journal Interactive | Privacy Policy.

Brainerd
08-22-2006, 10:57 PM
I'm glad to see I'm not the only one who thinks Cristl is a complete hypocritical moron. Three cheers to some of the questioners for calling him out. Once again he bobs and weaves through the questions and provides no insight whatsoever into the Packers organization. His only saving attribute is that he has access to the Packers coaches and players and will occasionally, and completely by accident, write something that has a hint of accuracy.

Cristl reminds me of the awkward teen geek who for some mysterious reason has caught the eye of the most beautiful girl in school. She wants him and lets him know she wants him and the poor guy has no clue what to do with the information.

GrnBay007
08-22-2006, 11:12 PM
Who was it that put the fake Christl article up once and it was hilarius? Many thought it was real till about midway when it got a bit too deep....lol

PTPaQ
08-22-2006, 11:23 PM
Just another corny journalist taking the unbeaten path as far as opinions go.

FavreChild
08-22-2006, 11:24 PM
Well, last week's Onion quoted a fake Cliff Crusty. I thought that was a great touch.

But yeah...being a sports journalist is all about getting attention.

If it makes y'all feel any more powerful, at least we get the column for free via Bretsky...Dang, you are cheap, B!!

FavreChild
08-22-2006, 11:25 PM
Just another corny journalist taking the unbeaten path as far as opinions go.

Ah...the simple truth! How can one argue with that? :wink:

HarveyWallbangers
08-22-2006, 11:32 PM
I like Uncle Cliffy. He stays positive when everybody is negative, and he's negative when everybody is positive.

FavreChild
08-22-2006, 11:37 PM
AHA! That is the classic journalist's trick, Harv.

But fun for the reader. So it's ok.

the_idle_threat
08-23-2006, 12:40 AM
I'm another Cliffy fan. His special brand of crabass stands out from the other sports journalists I'm aware of.

Deputy Nutz
08-23-2006, 12:45 AM
Christl has an excuse for everything.

Remember he said preseason games are meaningless, so two weeks ago against the Chargers was just as meaningless as this past weeks game against the Falcons. Why bother watching? Why bother reporting? Everything is meaningless Cliff, such as your little chat transcripts.

the_idle_threat
08-23-2006, 12:47 AM
He's just earning a paycheck. :wink:

Bretsky
08-23-2006, 07:19 AM
Well, last week's Onion quoted a fake Cliff Crusty. I thought that was a great touch.

But yeah...being a sports journalist is all about getting attention.

If it makes y'all feel any more powerful, at least we get the column for free via Bretsky...Dang, you are cheap, B!!

Cheap and Easily Manipulated; that's my forte :wink:

Cheers,
B

mraynrand
08-23-2006, 08:59 AM
Who was it that put the fake Christl article up once and it was hilarius? Many thought it was real till about midway when it got a bit too deep....lol

I'll dig that one up for you!

I did one after the practice with real questions from Packer Rats. I hope to have time to do some 'chats' right after games this fall. I get a kick out of doing a caricature of Cleft Crusty....

GrnBay007
08-23-2006, 08:26 PM

dig....dig, was very funny. were u the author?

pbmax
08-23-2006, 08:34 PM

dig....dig, was very funny. were u the author?
007, Mr Ayn Rand was the author. I almost caught flak at work laughing so hard even though I was reading through them the second time.

They are somewhere near the top after he bumped them earlier today.

RashanGary
08-23-2006, 08:48 PM
I think we have Hawk as a playmaker. Collins is due for a few TO's and Jennings looks to have big play potential.

I think 7-9 with some real momentum going into next off season is realistic.

Guiness
08-23-2006, 08:52 PM
If I recall correctly, that's where 'Frankly Bob, that's just idiotic' came from, right?

GrnBay007
08-23-2006, 09:07 PM
If I recall correctly, that's where 'Frankly Bob, that's just idiotic' came from, right?

LOL I think you're right!