PDA

View Full Version : Charles Woodson trying to stay patient

SnakeLH2006
04-06-2013, 12:24 AM
http://espn.go.com/blog/nflnation/post/_/id/75162/charles-woodson-trying-to-stay-patient

Hey man...CWood was a beast for the Pack...in fact...when he came back late last year...he still showed uncanny abilities....yet he is old and is prob asking for too much.

If I was TT, I'd offer $3million a year on 2 year deal....he could coach the young DB's and still play a bit. He is only 2-3 years removed from NFL Defensive Player of the Year and is an icon in Green Bay. I love his work ethic, leadership, playmaking, and drive. Is he old and injury prone...sure, but at 3 million...whatever. Sign him up. I'm sure he loves the team and would love to come back. He can still play and at under the $10 million he was due..fuck it. Ok...Give him $2 million and incentives. If he gets hurt/can't play ok...

Honestly...I think TT is waiting on the ARod and CMatty extensions to wait for money......so if we sign them...It wouldn't hurt to get a PURE leader like CWood back for a year or two. I love Arod...but this guy was prob the most respected guy in the GB lockerroom in many years.

packrulz
04-06-2013, 06:27 AM
He really hasn't had any offers, I hope the Pack can get him back at a reasonable price:http://www.foxsportswisconsin.com/nfl/green-bay-packers/story/Woodson-not-drawing-interest-in-free-age?blockID=888827&feedID=5065

Smeefers
04-06-2013, 07:39 AM
I'd rather bring in James Harrison than C Wood if we're going to go out and grab guys who are 35+

King Friday
04-06-2013, 08:16 AM
Woodson shouldn't get more than the vet minimum. He's an injury waiting to happen at this point. Paying a guy $3M to play 4 games and break another collarbone wouldn't be very bright IMO. Woodson isn't getting offers because everyone knows he's fragile in his older age.

The Packers won't bring him back at any price, unless he wants to be a coach. His presence would hinder the development of the young kids, who are probably just as good as Woodson at this point anyway. They may not have his intelligence, but their athleticism makes up for it. Woodson has gotten considerably more grab-happy the past few seasons, and that will only get worse as his physical ability declines with age. He knows how to play, but his body just can't play like that anymore.

Pugger
04-06-2013, 08:45 AM
I'm sure it isn't easy for Charles but it might be time to call it a career.

gbgary
04-06-2013, 08:57 AM
loved him as a Packer but i think chuck's done. someone might pick him up later in the year as an emergency, injury, replacement.

Mazzin
04-06-2013, 09:19 AM
If we were spending 3 mil a year for a saftey, I'd have prefered your old man crush Micheal Huff. Woodson, although I love him is way to old to pay 3 mil a year, when we have 3 very young safties, and will probably take another this year.

woodbuck27
04-06-2013, 09:21 AM
Charles Woodson.

I hope he gets his wish and someone to overpay for him. He wants two things.

a) To play football for a top team.

b) To be $$well paid$$ for **his services. There is too much proof that isn't going to happen.

**Does that include inspirational speeches and coaching? If you want him as a coach. Hire and pay him as a coach. We need a defensive back on the field in practise and in games making plays.

He's an ageing star football player that's reached that time when he seriously should retire.

Either that or turn full onto a). Advertise and sign with a top team at near the Vet minimum with a bonus clause option, if he can get that.

In Green Bay? On to many levels I'd be very surprized if that will happen; or even possible.

Just looking at one restraint that Ted Thompson is under:

We are under the CAP by just less than $18 million$.

Clay Matthews new contract will subtract about $10 million from that. The Rookie Class will cost approx....let's just use $6 million$ as a number. That adds up to $16 million$. How the Packers are entertaining a new contract for Aaron Rodgers is 'magic' that's beyond my scope of understanding.

Just that says 'NO' to Charles Woodson.

His potential replacement (circa. 2010) isn't on the horizon; even and certainly not 'in person'.

GO PACKERS !

ND72
04-06-2013, 08:53 PM
Chuck will sign probably just before or during training camp, and yes I'd like it to still be here. If you're Chuck, why do a teams offseason workout and/training camp?

red
04-06-2013, 09:02 PM
no one wanted the guy a few years ago either until we came along and gave him a shit ton of money, and that worked out pretty good for us. he was suppose to be washed up and injury prone. we signed him very late and were the only team to offer him a contract

someone will sign him, he just has to wait until after the draft

and if he stays healthy he'll make a nice impact for a team for a year or two

and i agree with ND, i hope it's with us

KYPack
04-06-2013, 10:51 PM
No.

Hail no.

Pay Wood 3 mil a year to be a player coach?

Are you fucking serious?

Watch tape of the SF game.

Possible HOFer, but he's all played out at this stage of his career.

red
04-06-2013, 10:54 PM
that was his first game in like 2 or 3 months

thats why me and others were screaming to let him play the last game or two of the regular season to get his game legs back

KYPack
04-06-2013, 10:57 PM
that was his first game in like 2 or 3 months

thats why me and others were screaming to let him play the last game or two of the regular season to get his game legs back

NFW, Red.

You only get some many hits in your career & Wood is all hit out.

Great player and great guy, but it's ovah.

Pugger
04-06-2013, 11:01 PM
Woodson is okay against the run but I don't want him out there covering anybody at this point in his career.

woodbuck27
04-07-2013, 07:26 AM
Woodson is okay against the run but I don't want him out there covering anybody at this point in his career.

That career.

Smeefers
04-07-2013, 08:50 AM

Even a fullback? Bah, I don't think we could even pay him league minimum if that was his only job.