PDA

View Full Version : Camp Update

SD GB fan
08-22-2006, 10:36 PM
Training camp report, Tuesday, Aug. 22
Thumbs up
Dave Rayner still has several more hurdles to clear before he will be awarded the kicking job when the Packers open the regular season against the Chicago Bears on Sept. 10, but he had one of his most impressive practices of training camp on Tuesday night.
Granted it came in the climate-controlled comfort of the Don Hutson Center, but Rayner went 8-for-8 on field goals during a special teams period.
Rayner, who is now the only kicker in camp after veteran Billy Cundiff was cut last week, got into a good groove and got stronger as the drill went on. With punter Jon Ryan holding, Rayner made field goals of 34, 39, 42, 46, 48, 25, 49 and 53 yards. His last two kicks – the 49- and 53-yarders – were strong boots that had plenty of room to spare. Rayner’s shakiest kick was the 48-yarder. It cleared by only a couple of yards. On the 46-yarder, Ryan did a good job handling a high snap.

Thumbs down
Picking up blitzes has been an issue for both running backs and offensive linemen throughout training camp.
Tuesday was no exception. During a team period, coach Mike McCarthy made the offense re-run several plays because of missed assignments on blitzes. On several drop backs, quarterback Brett Favre would have been sacked had the defenders been allowed to finish the play. In fact, it happened on consecutive plays and rookie right guard Tony Moll appeared to be the culprit.
McCarthy pulled Moll aside after the drill, and the two worked on Moll’s technique. After practice, McCarthy said it was a footwork issue.

Did you notice?
Daryn Colledge worked at left tackle for the first time in training camp, and it had nothing to do with the shortage of tackles. Josh Bourke (hip) and Todd Williams (knee) both sat out of practice, but McCarthy said the plan was to work Colledge at left tackle anyway. McCarthy said he wants Colledge to be a left-side guy, meaning he can play both left guard and left tackle. He wants Junius Coston to be able to do the same thing on the right side.

Receiver Carlton Brewster, acquired on Tuesday from the Cleveland Browns for cornerback Therrian Fontenot, took some reps as a punt returner.

Jon Ryan had one poor punt and several exceptional ones during two separate punting periods. Several of his kicks hit the Hutson Center’s roof, but he had two kicks (a 50-yarder and a 51-yarder) that had good hang time and were angled toward the corner.

Rookie Cory Rodgers mishandled another punt during the first of two punting period. He didn’t have any miscues in the second period.

Cornerback Antonio Malone, signed last week, made his first big play. He intercepted an Aaron Rodgers pass that was intended for Chad Lucas.

Cornerback Charles Woodson had another interception, this one off Ingle Martin in a 7-on-7 period.

McCarthy said Tuesday’s evening practice was closed to the public because he wanted to work on things specific to the Chicago Bears. Reporters were allowed to attend but were barred from writing anything play-specific, just as they would be during the regular season if they were allowed to watch practice. The players and coaches played dodgeball on Tuesday morning instead of practicing.

-- Rob Demovsky, rdemovsk@greenbaypressgazette.com

good to hear. TT and MM know how important the season opener is. sets the tone of the season, gain home field advantage, and sweet revenge :D

gbpackfan
08-22-2006, 10:46 PM
If every reporter wrote a story about a rookie screwing up at practice, we would run out of trees! Seriously, I am not surprised by this as Moll will go through some growing pains. Good for him to make some mistakes, that way he can learn. Let's just hope those mistakes dont happen (too much) in a game.

GBRulz
08-22-2006, 10:50 PM
If every reporter wrote a story about a rookie screwing up at practice, we would run out of trees! Seriously, I am not surprised by this as Moll will go through some growing pains. Good for him to make some mistakes, that way he can learn. Let's just hope those mistakes dont happen (too much) in a game.

no kidding. I mean we're still going through growing pains with Fergy and he's been here 5 years.

CaliforniaCheez
08-23-2006, 07:16 AM
Week 1 The Blitzrieg Bears.

You really see the absence of Tony Fisher picking up the blitz. Davenport has been terrible at it.

If no Henderson against the Bears it will be bad.

Creepy
08-23-2006, 07:27 AM
At any time dodge ball would be a great tension breaker, but the thought of a Favre throwing a dodge ball is a little shaky. Hoefully those against Favre were allowed to wear their helmets.

Bretsky
08-23-2006, 07:32 AM
ANOTHER PI CAMP REPORT FROM TUESDAY

Camp Report, Aug. 22

THUMBS UP

On a visit to Green Bay during the off-season workouts, former NFL quarterback Rich Gannon told Aaron Rodgers that the best thing he could do for his own career, the Packers and Brett Favre would be to push Favre every day in practice. More than three weeks and 26 practices into camp, Rodgers seems to have accomplished that goal.

He has completed 136 of 228 passes, for 59.6%, with six interceptions in 11-on-11 periods. In seven-on-seven sessions, Rodgers is 82 of 135, for 60.7%, with two interceptions. On Tuesday night when Favre completed less than 50% of his passes in team drills, Rodgers was 7 of 10, as well as 4 of 4 in seven-on-seven.

Rodgers isn’t at the point where he’s pushing Favre for the starting job, but his camp numbers are comparable with fewer interceptions. Favre has completed 60.7% of his passes in 11-on-11 periods with nine interceptions and 57.9% in seven-on-seven sessions with six interceptions.

Rodgers has come a long way in a year’s time. He credits the new coaching staff for some of his improvement, but said the main thing was that he came to camp this year with a better attitude and a stronger commitment. “I didn’t want to have another training camp like last year,” said Rodgers.

THUMBS DOWN

With two rookie guards in the starting lineup, the Packers are going to endure some growing pains. A case in point occurred during a team period Tuesday night when the Packers were working on a blitz pickup. There was a jailbreak on three successive snaps with pressure coming mostly from middle linebacker Tim Goodwell and outside backer Brady Poppinga.

The culprit was rookie guard Tony Moll, but coach Mike McCarthy said it wasn’t a recognition problem or a mental mistake. “It was a technique thing,” said McCarthy. “Tony struggled with his footwork. That’s the time to get it fixed.” Moll had never played guard before this camp. “It was something I hadn’t done before,” he said. “So I was taking the wrong steps. It made me late, but it’s easily fixable.”

INJURY REPORT

Running back Najeh Davenport pulled up on a running play and left practice with a hip injury. Tight end Bubba Franks (foot) and tackle Josh Bourke (calf) missed practice.

Todd Williams (knee), William Whitticker (hamstring), William Henderson (knee), Kenny Peterson (ankle), Patrick Dendy (ankle), Mike Hawkins (knee) and Atari Bigby (hand) continued to miss practice.

ODDS & ENDS

The Packers held a closed evening practice in the Don Hutson Center. They didn’t practice in the morning.
Siitupe Peko worked with the second offensive line at center. Chris White took a turn at left tackle in one-on-one pass blocking. White worked at left guard in team drills.

Dave Rayner was 8 of 8 in a field goal session. He converted from 34, 39, 42, 46, 48, 25, 49 and 53 yards out. The 53-yard kick sailed well above the crossbar.

Cornerback Charles Woodson intercepted a pass working against the scout team offense. It was Woodson’s eighth interception of camp, counting 11-on-11 and 7-on-7 periods.

Newly acquired wide receiver Carlton Brewster arrived in time to field a few punts in a special teams period.

Defensive end Aaron Kampman returned to practice.

Cornerback Jerron Wishom, who ended practice Monday with an interception, made two nice plays to break up passes working with the scout team defense against the No. 1 offense.

ON THIS DAY

Aug. 23, 1987 – The Packers arrived at Olympia Village in Oconomowoc, where they were scheduled to spend the final two weeks of training camp, and were subjected to one of coach Forrest Gregg’s tirades at a Sunday night film session. “He really cussed us out – big time,” one player told the Milwaukee Journal. “Brutal? Yeah, you know Forrest Gregg,” said another player. Gregg was still livid over the Packers’ 33-0 loss to the Washington Redskins in an exhibition game Saturday at Madison.

SCHEDULE WEDNESDAY

The Packers will practice once, but it will be closed to the public.

Iron Mike
08-23-2006, 07:35 AM
At any time dodge ball would be a great tension breaker, but the thought of a Favre throwing a dodge ball is a little shaky. Hoefully those against Favre were allowed to wear their helmets.

http://i.esmas.com/image/0/000/003/558/Dodgeball_N.jpg

If you can dodge a wrench, you can dodge Adewale Ogunleye!!!

MuttnJeff
08-23-2006, 10:07 AM
You really see the absence of Tony Fisher picking up the blitz. Davenport has been terrible at it.

Time to move-on. Davenport is not much of a pass receiver, either. Maybe Davenport's career will finally take-off (on another team), but I doubt it. Beach and Gado have more upside.

Deputy Nutz
08-23-2006, 10:26 AM
Todd Williams (knee), William Whitticker (hamstring), William Henderson (knee), Kenny Peterson (ankle), Patrick Dendy (ankle), Mike Hawkins (knee) and Atari Bigby (hand) continued to miss practice.

You know, I can't believe I waiting for the day that Will Whitticker would come back to practice. In my opinion he is your guy that you would want on the right side instead of Junius Coston. Whitticker has played better nursing an injury than Coston does actually playing.

woodbuck27
08-23-2006, 10:32 AM

Time to move-on. Davenport is not much of a pass receiver, either. Maybe Davenport's career will finally take-off (on another team), but I doubt it. Beach and Gado have more upside.

Your saying this I believe:

RB
Green
Gado
Beach
(#4 Herron)

FB
William Henderson .... injury but "maybe", back in Sept.
Vonta Leach .... NO HANDS, but Strength at Blocking "trumps the rest".

GO PACK GO ! .... GOOD FUTURE FANS !!

woodbuck27
08-23-2006, 10:37 AM

You know, I can't believe I waiting for the day that Will Whitticker would come back to practice. In my opinion he is your guy that you would want on the right side instead of Junius Coston. Whitticker has played better nursing an injury than Coston does actually playing.

Junius Coston's wife too!! :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

YAK ! YAK !! YAK !!!

PACKER FAN FAITH !

woodbuck27
08-23-2006, 10:52 AM
These Reports:

** Prop's for Dave Rayner. Solid kicking.

** Jon Ryan. Starting to get to relaxed - cool - and can focus on OUR needs from him. He'll be fine.

** Prop's Aaron Rodgers. Shaping him into a more legitimate #2 QB this Off Season. Getting him PREPARED to be "the next Packer Starting QB".

** Prop's to OUR GM Ted Thompson.... for using "the Belichick Method".
That's my term for always looking to improve your stock.The only way to fly.

** Tony Moll. Comes with the territory.It won't happen overnight.

** Daryn Colledge. Getting his head into being ready - REALLY ready to backup Tony MOLL at LG and Clifton at LT. Colledge is preparing to fullfill a vital need. That is his role now as backup. His motivation must be to get just there...not "I wanns be a starter because of.... anything".

OUR team will only succeed, if every man on the eventual Roster has attitude that is proper for us to do OUR best. We need team focus on good attitude.

Mike McCarthy's biggest challenge is to hold onto his players with so many first and second year players and their inexperience that may be challenging, but hopefully respect is a reality for "the Vets".

PACKERS ! FAITH FOR 2006 and BEYOND !!

KYPack
08-23-2006, 11:18 AM

I'm with you there, Nutz.

Last year I was all pissed off that they didn't activate Coston and give him some reps. I had my beefs with Shermie's coaching at times, but now I def. see his point not giving Coston time. the guy isn't NFL ready now, what must have been like in practice last year?

We need OLine depth, bad!

woodbuck27
08-23-2006, 11:45 AM

I'm with you there, Nutz.

Last year I was all pissed off that they didn't activate Coston and give him some reps. I had my beefs with Shermie's coaching at times, but now I def. see his point not giving Coston time. the guy isn't NFL ready now, what must have been like in practice last year?

We need OLine depth, bad!

It's where the FOCUS is really needed.

GO PACK GO !! PACKERS 2006 and BEYOND !!