PDA

View Full Version : 2008-2010 Draft Grader

Smeefers
04-08-2013, 10:01 AM
PFF put out a draft grader for previous drafts. They don't get into recent drafts because they feel there isn't enough information. Overall, the pack, according to PFF's metrics, have 13 better than average picks, 7 average picks and 4 poor picks.

Any thoughts? What say you?

https://www.profootballfocus.com/blog/2013/04/06/draft-grader-green-bay-packers-2/

woodbuck27
04-08-2013, 11:17 AM
I thought that site might deliver Smeefers. Thanks a bunch for this find.

I just need time to really digest all of it.

GO PACK GO !

red
04-08-2013, 11:18 AM
man, i had already forgot about guys like pat lee, brohm and jeremy thompson

when you decide to only build through the draft, those are the types of picks that you absolutely can't afford to make

woodbuck27
04-08-2013, 11:46 AM

when you decide to only build through the draft, those are the types of picks that you absolutely can't afford to make
Shit!

I thought that TT was going to hang onto Pat Lee forever. What was he waiting/looking for?

He's still trying (2012) with Detroit.

http://www.nfl.com/player/patlee/2507475/profile

WR Brett Swain:

http://www.nfl.com/player/brettswain/2507496/profile

RB Quinn Johnson:

http://www.nfl.com/player/quinnjohnson/79593/careerstats

CB Brandon Underwood:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Brandon_Underwood#Oakland_Raiders

On September 3, 2011 the Packers released him. On February 16, 2012, he signed with the Oakland Raiders. He's with the Dallas Cowboys at present.

http://www.rotoworld.com/player/nfl/5401/player

God love them all.

3irty1
04-08-2013, 12:23 PM

Jeremy Thompson was a 4th rounder. And they failed to mention his career ended in injury rather than incompetence. Lee was disappointing but I have to believe he would have amounted to a lot more in the old Bob Sanders defense for which he was drafted. With the Raiders last year he finally started to show some things.

Brohm was/is awful.

Guiness
04-08-2013, 12:30 PM
Interesting grading on the players, I agree with them for the most part. I'd put Neale at even, if trending upwards. Raji at +.5 is a little harsh, I'd say he's been more of a contributor than say, TJ Lang or Starks. Not sure how Underwood grades out even. Jeremy Thompson had to stop playing for medical reasons, didn't he?

MadScientist
04-08-2013, 01:35 PM
Interesting grading on the players, I agree with them for the most part. I'd put Neale at even, if trending upwards. Raji at +.5 is a little harsh, I'd say he's been more of a contributor than say, TJ Lang or Starks. Not sure how Underwood grades out even. Jeremy Thompson had to stop playing for medical reasons, didn't he?

The grading was on a curve based on draft position, so +.5 is fair for Raji.

For fun take a look at some other teams. Denver's '09 draft from McDaniels is so bad it makes Sherman look like a draft guru.

woodbuck27
04-08-2013, 02:42 PM

Maybe what confuses us is seeing Matt Flynn in that group with BJ Raji?

That's not correct. Maybe we all can agree to give BJ Raji this after that 0.5 >>> ++

Wait !

How many more $million$ does that give him?

George Cumby
04-08-2013, 06:16 PM
The grading was on a curve based on draft position, so +.5 is fair for Raji.

For fun take a look at some other teams. Denver's '09 draft from McDaniels is so bad it makes Sherman look like a draft guru.

It would be interesting to see a table with results for all teams for all years. My sense is that every GM will miss on some and the sun will shine on a dog's ass on other occasions with TT doing better than most.

MadScientist
04-08-2013, 07:29 PM
It would be interesting to see a table with results for all teams for all years. My sense is that every GM will miss on some and the sun will shine on a dog's ass on other occasions with TT doing better than most.
They don't have a table, but that is pretty much the sense I get flipping through the pages. Denver's '09 jumped out as really bad, and the Jets have done pretty bad, otherwise there isn't a huge difference. TT has had fewer fails than just about anyone else.

Guiness
04-08-2013, 08:26 PM
They don't have a table, but that is pretty much the sense I get flipping through the pages. Denver's '09 jumped out as really bad, and the Jets have done pretty bad, otherwise there isn't a huge difference. TT has had fewer fails than just about anyone else.

How many +2.0s did he give? I saw he gave Geno Atkins that grade, I'm assuming CMIII didn't get it because he was drafted too high.

red
04-08-2013, 09:22 PM
How many +2.0s did he give? I saw he gave Geno Atkins that grade, I'm assuming CMIII didn't get it because he was drafted too high.

yeah, say right off the bat that it takes a tom brady in the 6th to get a 2.0

Pugger
04-08-2013, 10:36 PM
The draft is indeed a crap shoot and TT has a pretty decent record compared to others. But so is FA! Not all of them turn out like Woodson did for us. :?

Bretsky
04-09-2013, 08:47 PM
The draft is indeed a crap shoot and TT has a pretty decent record compared to others. But so is FA! Not all of them turn out like Woodson did for us. :?

When TT has taken a swing at a great pitch he has had some very solid hits (Woodson/Pickett)

When TT has taken some half swings at crappy pitches he hasn't had many hits

Most of the time TT just looks at the pitches...sometimes he's called out and other times he walks

But he always has a decent team

George Cumby
04-10-2013, 10:23 AM
When TT has taken a swing at a great pitch he has had some very solid hits (Woodson/Pickett)

Most of the time TT just looks at the pitches...sometimes he's called out and other times he walks

Nice analogy.

Fritz
04-10-2013, 05:55 PM

Decent? That's faint praise, Bretsky, for a team that's been in the playoffs what, four years running and has won a SB much more recently than your hooded "genius"?

Bretsky
04-10-2013, 06:31 PM
Decent? That's faint praise, Bretsky, for a team that's been in the playoffs what, four years running and has won a SB much more recently than your hooded "genius"?

The comment was not meant as a cut to TT so I'm hoping most of the homers realized that

I'd stand by my comment. By not taking a bunch of chances...aka...swinging for the fence....making good draft picks.....TT assures us of at least being decent.

Elite was what Hoody Genius did; every team strives to do the same and if you want to annoint sombebody new the only team who can lay any claim to being elite since Hoody are the Giants

Many aruge the goal should be to be decent every year, hope luck falls your way, and you occasionaly win the big show

Years ago a guy named Texaspackerbacker, in between calling the entire forum idiots, kept noting that continuously. Maybe he was right

KYPack
04-10-2013, 09:23 PM
The comment was not meant as a cut to TT so I'm hoping most of the homers realized that

I'd stand by my comment. By not taking a bunch of chances...aka...swinging for the fence....making good draft picks.....TT assures us of at least being decent.

Elite was what Hoody Genius did; every team strives to do the same and if you want to annoint sombebody new the only team who can lay any claim to being elite since Hoody are the Giants

Many aruge the goal should be to be decent every year, hope luck falls your way, and you occasionaly win the big show

Years ago a guy named Texaspackerbacker, in between calling the entire forum idiots, kept noting that continuously. Maybe he was right

Nice Tex mention, B-Man.

Tex was pretty staunch in his views, but there was some method to his madness.

TPB was the ultimate homer, for instance.

Bretsky
04-10-2013, 10:13 PM
Nice Tex mention, B-Man.

Tex was pretty staunch in his views, but there was some method to his madness.

TPB was the ultimate homer, for instance.

Gotta admit I miss him in a deranged sort of way

Sometimes I felt left out and would confront him and make an off the mark rant to something he thought just to get him to call me a moron or f'ckin idiot so I'd feel part of the gang

Now politics, no dam way I was getting into that crap with him.

I had hunted him down to get him to join CE a while back. Wonder where the dude is; somebody should go on a mission to find him :)

swede
04-10-2013, 10:29 PM
If you are thinking of the Tex I am thinking about he was here for a while, right?

3,500 posts--last one in May of 2009.

Common belief is that he up and died.

George Cumby
04-10-2013, 10:47 PM
If you are thinking of the Tex I am thinking about he was here for a while, right?

3,500 posts--last one in May of 2009.

Common belief is that he up and died.

Bummer

pbmax
04-11-2013, 07:57 AM
It was a bummer, especially when Tennessee Packer Backer kept getting referred to as TPB and I thought Tex had come back. Screen names are terrible.

3irty1
04-11-2013, 08:51 AM

Also probably the Steelers and Colts. They've both been to the big game as many times as the Pats in that span from the same conference. Those teams never "swing for the fence" either. I think your theory needs some work.

I also challenge the idea that the draft is "not taking a bunch of chances." You can very much swing for the fence in the draft. If that's not what Washington did to get RGIII then what do you call it? Draft prospects can be just as risky or safe as FA, the risk isn't monetary but its still just as real--possibly even more real since a wasted draft pick is a wasted opportunity whereas a missed FA is just a cap burden for a year. Last year with our first round pick TT had a choice between Nick Perry and Courtney Upshaw, taking the high potential Perry over the very safe Upshaw is a much better example of "swinging for the fences" than signing other teams castoffs IMO.

smuggler
04-11-2013, 10:55 AM
Taking 'safe' players lead us to take AJ Hawk. Safe is just another method of being disappointing.

Zool
04-11-2013, 11:07 AM
Taking 'safe' players lead us to take AJ Hawk. Safe is just another method of being disappointing.

Are you more disappointed in Hawk or Jamal Reynolds? Raji or Harrell?

The draft is as big of a crap shoot as FA. Names in FA just costs your team a roster spot and big $.

smuggler
04-11-2013, 11:40 AM
I wasn't advocating FA. I know there are many methods of disappointment. I'd prefer to take a risk on a special player than to take a slightly more 'safe' risk on a player that will be merely solid.

Fritz
04-17-2013, 06:37 AM
Sometimes it pays off (Clay Matthews) and sometimes it doesn't (Jamaal Reynolds).

But the Reynolds pick may be a better lesson as to what happens when you try to pick for need. That's what Reynolds was. Same with Wolf's draft in which he drafted three cornerbacks in a row, having only one - his third rounder (I think Mike Mckenzie was the third) - work out. Although as we all know, he did salvage one other one - his second rounder, Fred Something, was sent packing to Seattle for some running back with reputed fumbling problems. Ahman Something or other.

smuggler
04-17-2013, 09:33 AM
Antuaan Edwards was actually a good player, though, and only failed due to injury. Even still, he was good enough to trade for Ahman Green.

Patler
04-17-2013, 09:49 AM
Antuaan Edwards was actually a good player, though, and only failed due to injury. Even still, he was good enough to trade for Ahman Green.

Wasn't Fred Vinson the guy who was traded for Green?
Edwards actually also became a decent player, but then disappeared after injuries set in.

pbmax
04-17-2013, 10:05 AM
It was Vinson who was traded. Edwards could have been a good safety but as a CB, he was limited in the Packers defense.

Patler
04-17-2013, 12:40 PM
It was Vinson who was traded. Edwards could have been a good safety but as a CB, he was limited in the Packers defense.

Wasn't he almost exclusively a safety after his rookie year, or was it after year #2? Not unlike Butler, who also played as a CB for a year or two before switching to safety. I kind of liked Edwards at safety, but the guy got where he couldn't stay on the field.